Tree Service Cost

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vested1

Tree Service Cost

Post by vested1 »

I've got to say that I continue to be amazed at the difference in cost for certain services in our new State of SC as compared to California. I was wondering what others pay for tree service, although I suspect it can't match what we pay. Don't get me wrong, we loved California, but wonder why some here in SC complain about the cost of living. I do realize though that our tree service cost may be an aberration, even here.

We have about 10 trees in the front yard and probably 35 in the back, mostly shortleaf pine trees that were planted by previous owners. These type of trees are notorious for growing fast, with a smallish diameter trunk, up to about 90 feet, with a small root base. In the front we have more deciduous trees than in the back, which tend to stay erect and not fall over like dominos in violent storms like the pines do. The deciduous trees in the front and back are beautiful in the fall, and lose their leaves in the winter.

We've only been here since August of last year and have already lost four pine trees that either fell during storms or were cut down by choice because they were in danger of hitting the house if they fell. As we remove the old trees we're replacing them with various red maples, white dogwood, twilight crape myrtle, and bloodgood Japanese maple. Six new saplings from a separate company up to 6' tall will be delivered free and were about $450 total.

It cost $250 to cut up, remove (including stumps), as well as doing cleanup for 3 pine trees that fell during storms, one 75', one 60', and one 35'. The same company charged $400 to cut down and remove an 85' tall pine in the front with a 2' diameter, which was extra because special precautions had to be taken to keep it from falling on the house, which it was leaning towards.

All that would have easily cost $4,000 in California, which would include the cost of permits and an inspection from an arborist. No permits or inspections needed here, although we need permission from the Corps of Engineers to remove trees between the house and the lake, which entails a cell phone picture attached to an email, with no fees.

I was shocked at the price to say the least. We will be removing six more dead trees in the back next week and replacing them with colorful deciduous shade trees.
Normchad

Re: Tree Service Cost

Post by Normchad »

Those are very good prices. In northern Virginia, I think I paid about $1,200 to have a large oak tree removed, and the stump ground out.

On the other hand, $450 to buy six new trees and have them delivered seems high to me. If they planted them as well, that would be fair.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

op

It cost me $1600 in upstate NY in 2016 to cut 9 trees wrapped around electrical line it was worth it.

more on this discussed previously

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=286228

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=280116
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

I paid $1,000 to remove a 30ft tall and wide Chinese camphor on a hill side a couple of days ago in Los Angeles.

It took 5 guys 2.5 hours. They also mulched it into wonderfully aromatic mulch.

They tried grinding the stump but only got half of it due to the slope.

Incidentally, it was removed on Earth day. :(
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

unclescrooge wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:15 pm I paid $1,000 to remove a 30ft tall and wide Chinese camphor on a hill side a couple of days ago in Los Angeles.

We have a camphor tree in our front yard. Periodically we have to trim it, and we enjoy the aroma for a few days. Mulch sounds much better, though. I'll have to see if the tree trimmer will do that for us, as all of them have chippers.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:40 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:15 pm I paid $1,000 to remove a 30ft tall and wide Chinese camphor on a hill side a couple of days ago in Los Angeles.

We have a camphor tree in our front yard. Periodically we have to trim it, and we enjoy the aroma for a few days. Mulch sounds much better, though. I'll have to see if the tree trimmer will do that for us, as all of them have chippers.

Broken Man 1999
I highly recommend it.

I was sad to see it go, but it blocked our view, was growing into our house and shedding constantly blocking gutters and french drains everywhere. We are replacing it with smaller crepe myrtle.

How much do you pay to trim it?
megabad

Post by megabad »

All depends on the height here but I’d say you got a pretty good deal. We had about a 40ft high pine cut down three years ago for about 1000. The stump grinding cost a few hundred more though. The little junk pear trees (maybe 20 ft high) cost maybe a couple hundred bucks though. My neighbor had a redneck come by after a rain and pull one right out of the ground with a big truck and a chain. Cut it in half and it was off on a trailer in less than 1 hour.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

unclescrooge wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:43 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:40 pm

Broken Man 1999
I highly recommend it.

I was sad to see it go, but it blocked our view, was growing into our house and shedding constantly blocking gutters and french drains everywhere. We are replacing it with smaller crepe myrtle.

How much do you pay to trim it?
We had it done before hurricane season, and actually trimmed up several trees. Probably a couple of hundred bucks for that particular tree, as their bucket truck could reach from the road in front of our house. It was easy. Not so the oaks around the rest of the yard. Couldn't use the bucket truck on those. Our other trees had the guys climbing all over the place. We actually noticed the crew of 5-6 at another house, and I went down to talk to them and they moved right to our home after they finished up with their first job. They knocked everything out in a couple of hours, came to about $2,500 total best I remember. They did a great job of thinning out the oaks that are all over our lot. They got rid of a lot of deadwood, and opened them up nicely. The oaks would crash down on the house if we didn't keep them trimmed and opened up. We try to trim the oaks up every few years, great for shade, not so great when the wind is blowing and you have a lot of dead limbs.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
TN Bogle

Post by TN Bogle »

This is interesting. I would also like yall's opinion on my situation. I live in the city with a standard 140 ft x 70 ft city lot. There are alleys that run behind the houses. In the alley behind my house there are 2 large Red Mulberry trees with a few small ones. My neighbor behind me likes to garden and said that these trees are casting a lot of shade on his garden and making it difficult to grow certain types of full sun plants. He wanted to split the cost of pruning these trees in the alley behind my house. The quote came in at $2500. This is a guy that he knows and has worked with for many years and claims he knows his business and is giving us a fair price. I don't want to pay $1250 to have trees pruned that aren't bothering me, and aren't even technically on my lot just behind my lot in the alley easement.

I told him due to the corona virus situation I didn't want to pay to have it done. He said he would have the guy come out and pay for it entirely and when I am able I can contribute whatever I think is fair. That makes me feel guilty tbh. I'm not sure how to proceed. The wife is also wanted to build a new fence, new stairs up to our deck, new landscaping, etc. I am a very frugal person and am feeling the pain from all this spending.

How would you proceed?
megabad

Post by megabad »

TN Bogle wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:04 pm This is interesting. I would also like yall's opinion on my situation. I live in the city with a standard 140 ft x 70 ft city lot. There are alleys that run behind the houses. In the alley behind my house there are 2 large Red Mulberry trees with a few small ones. My neighbor behind me likes to garden and said that these trees are casting a lot of shade on his garden and making it difficult to grow certain types of full sun plants. He wanted to split the cost of pruning these trees in the alley behind my house. The quote came in at $2500. This is a guy that he knows and has worked with for many years and claims he knows his business and is giving us a fair price. I don't want to pay $1250 to have trees pruned that aren't bothering me, and aren't even technically on my lot just behind my lot in the alley easement.

I told him due to the corona virus situation I didn't want to pay to have it done. He said he would have the guy come out and pay for it entirely and when I am able I can contribute whatever I think is fair. That makes me feel guilty tbh. I'm not sure how to proceed. The wife is also wanted to build a new fence, new stairs up to our deck, new landscaping, etc. I am a very frugal person and am feeling the pain from all this spending.

How would you proceed?
Easy. I would get another quote and tell neighbor to hold off while you price check.
Poorman

Post by Poorman »

Normchad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:39 pm Those are very good prices. In northern Virginia, I think I paid about $1,200 to have a large oak tree removed, and the stump ground out.

On the other hand, $450 to buy six new trees and have them delivered seems high to me. If they planted them as well, that would be fair.
Pay premium for 6' tall trees everywhere.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

megabad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:49 pm All depends on the height here but I’d say you got a pretty good deal. We had about a 40ft high pine cut down three years ago for about 1000. The stump grinding cost a few hundred more though. The little junk pear trees (maybe 20 ft high) cost maybe a couple hundred bucks though. My neighbor had a redneck come by after a rain and pull one right out of the ground with a big truck and a chain. Cut it in half and it was off on a trailer in less than 1 hour.
Seems pretty pompous and derogatory to refer to the person as a redneck.
megabad

Post by megabad »

makingmistakes wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:12 pm
megabad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:49 pm All depends on the height here but I’d say you got a pretty good deal. We had about a 40ft high pine cut down three years ago for about 1000. The stump grinding cost a few hundred more though. The little junk pear trees (maybe 20 ft high) cost maybe a couple hundred bucks though. My neighbor had a redneck come by after a rain and pull one right out of the ground with a big truck and a chain. Cut it in half and it was off on a trailer in less than 1 hour.
Seems pretty pompous and derogatory to refer to the person as a redneck.
Hmm? I didn’t know people found this offensive...I commonly refer to myself as a redneck and I have never been offended by this. I apologize I mean no offense. I just meant “country folk with no actual business license or insurance” instead of a real tree contractor.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Tree service costs are all over the place based on what I have observed and the prices / bids I have gotten. Some contractors are professionals with arborists, others just cut anything. Some only used trained crews that have been with them a long time and have proper training and safety equipment including headsets, others just hire day labor and don't use even safety helmets. Some don't have protection for lawns, some won't clean your gutters after. You pay more if someone has to climb the tree than if it can be reached with a bucket and more to haul away the wood and have the stump ground. You get what you pay for I suppose.

One thing I did find out was that after a storm, some companies don't take new customers.

Regarding the mulberry tree. They are messy, the roots are aggressive and many people are allergic to the pollen. If the tree is in the alley right of way and near a power line, perhaps the power company will trim it - though they butcher rather than do a professional job. As with anything else, I'd get three bids, ask for proof of insurance and avoid working with friends and relatives. Perhaps get a breakdown for trimming the part over your property. I'd consider taking them out depending on the cost and getting a nice shade tree.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
ballons

Post by ballons »

The amazing low prices of hiring unlicensed, uninsured tree "companies" off of craigslist.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

TN Bogle wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:04 pm This is interesting. I would also like yall's opinion on my situation. I live in the city with a standard 140 ft x 70 ft city lot. There are alleys that run behind the houses. In the alley behind my house there are 2 large Red Mulberry trees with a few small ones. My neighbor behind me likes to garden and said that these trees are casting a lot of shade on his garden and making it difficult to grow certain types of full sun plants. He wanted to split the cost of pruning these trees in the alley behind my house. The quote came in at $2500. This is a guy that he knows and has worked with for many years and claims he knows his business and is giving us a fair price. I don't want to pay $1250 to have trees pruned that aren't bothering me, and aren't even technically on my lot just behind my lot in the alley easement.

How would you proceed?
If I didn't want them pruned at all, I would politely tell my neighbor "No thanks."

If I did want them pruned, I would offer to find my own guy to do it and allow the neighbor to pay for all of it--up front.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

How would you proceed?
You might look into whether it makes sense to prune the trees. Pruning can damage some trees and make them more disease prone, especially if you prune too much. On the other hand, if you don't prune enough, it grows right back, so will you be doing this every few years?

Get a quote to have them removed if you want to expose the area to sun. This way you won't have to keep paying each year endlessly.

Who owns the alley easement? Where's the fence?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

That seems like a lot for pruning.

I might be willing to consider it if (a) I was in a giving mood, and (b) the "tree guy" was a certified arborist. You certainly shouldn't pay that much to some random yahoo who says he knows what he is doing. Random Yahoos can be found at better prices.
TN Bogle

Post by TN Bogle »

The trees are all outside of my fence. There is a paved alley in the back of our block where the garbage men pass through as well as where people access their garages if they have one. within 10 ft on either side of the paved alley is city property and then the lot begins. These trees are within this 10 ft area. Maybe the best option is to get a second quote to see if his guys price is reasonable. He approached me with the desire to prune the 2 large trees and remove a couple small ones. He got the quote and is willing to proceed without me committing to paying him at this time. Even after I said I would like to wait until this economic crisis has passed. Maybe I just don't feel guilty and let him do it, I really don't have anything to gain here. Im just subsidizing his gardening due to guilt.
Suntan1

Post by Suntan1 »

Here's a shocker. My neighbor contacted our HOA to cut down a 30-35 foot, one foot diameter, maple tree about 10 feet away from the fence on a slight slope. Tree roots has invaded his lawn and and including my koi pond and waterfall. Landscaping contracted to our community gave a quote for $26K to cut, haul it and a 6 foot replacement :shock: Reason they gave for the outrageous price is permit and red tape from the county/environmental agency :confused .

HOA will pay half and wants my neighbor to pay the other half. Suggested HOA get another bid from a license arborist. No word what happened to the offer since covid-19 hit. I do know the tree is still there :annoyed . No way this tree is worth $26K to cut down :annoyed .This is San Diego, CA pricing.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Suntan1 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:30 pm Here's a shocker. My neighbor contacted our HOA to cut down a 30-35 foot, one foot diameter, maple tree about 10 feet away from the fence on a slight slope. Tree roots has invaded his lawn and and including my koi pond and waterfall. Landscaping contracted to our community gave a quote for $26K to cut, haul it and a 6 foot replacement :shock: Reason they gave for the outrageous price is permit and red tape from the county/environmental agency :confused .

HOA will pay half and wants my neighbor to pay the other half. Suggested HOA get another bid from a license arborist. No word what happened to the offer since covid-19 hit. I do know the tree is still there :annoyed . No way this tree is worth $26K to cut down :annoyed .This is San Diego, CA pricing.
Ridiculous. Get a pole saw and hack it down. Then get a quote to haul it away.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Two tall and wide trees blocking our HCOL view. Located where motorized vehicles cannot access. Paid my gardener $800 to trim them down maybe 20 feet. $800 for about 10-12 man-hours of work. No haul-away of debris, which eventually will bio-degrade in place.
hershey102d

Post by hershey102d »

TN Bogle wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:41 pm The trees are all outside of my fence. There is a paved alley in the back of our block where the garbage men pass through as well as where people access their garages if they have one. within 10 ft on either side of the paved alley is city property and then the lot begins. These trees are within this 10 ft area. Maybe the best option is to get a second quote to see if his guys price is reasonable. He approached me with the desire to prune the 2 large trees and remove a couple small ones. He got the quote and is willing to proceed without me committing to paying him at this time. Even after I said I would like to wait until this economic crisis has passed. Maybe I just don't feel guilty and let him do it, I really don't have anything to gain here. Im just subsidizing his gardening due to guilt.
Ripe opportunity for misunderstanding and potential hard feelings down the road. Either ‘no, thanks’ or obtaining your own quote can prevent that.
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

Our HOA is charging $1,000.00 per tree if you want something removed.
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Suntan1 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:30 pm Here's a shocker. My neighbor contacted our HOA to cut down a 30-35 foot, one foot diameter, maple tree about 10 feet away from the fence on a slight slope. Tree roots has invaded his lawn and and including my koi pond and waterfall. Landscaping contracted to our community gave a quote for $26K to cut, haul it and a 6 foot replacement :shock: Reason they gave for the outrageous price is permit and red tape from the county/environmental agency :confused .

Amazing! 26k to cut down a 35' tree outside the fence on what I assume is HOA property and the neighbor has to pay half?

My community in SC is in an HOA too, but I didn't have to get permission to cut the 85' pine tree down in the front, but then again we don't have a fence and we own the property. Our HOA dues are $185 a month which includes maintenance of the paved road, the sewer (everywhere else we looked was on their own septic), free golf membership and golf, and membership to the large community pool and free swimming privileges. All the HOA members I talk to are outraged at the high HOA dues. :oops:

Oh, and gas today is $1.37 a gallon, so I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I will say that not all tree services are as cheap as the one I use. They are legit however. I've never seen the methods they use however, and can't imagine they would be legal in California, even on a private HOA.

They use a forklift and chainsaws, and a bucket truck if necessary, which they didn't apparently think they needed for our job. They fell the tree, cut it into 20' sections, then haul those sections down the road to our community burn pile next to the golf course on the HOA property using the forklift. They crush the limbs to compact them with the forklift after removing them from the trunk and haul them intact to the burn pile with the forklift also. They don't only service our HOA either. I suppose the cost for disposal must be much higher if the client doesn't live on the HOA because they can't use our burnpile. We are in a semi-rural area so the air is clean, even when burning is going on. You can even burn on your own property if you want to.

When I was young I remember my mom and dad cutting oak trees on our property in Seaside California (adjoining Monterey) and burning them. My mom always did the burning while my dad was at work and twice it got away from her and burnt down the barn. My dad would just build another one when that happened. At that time the city didn't care. How times change.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

The burning explains perhaps part of why its so expensive where I live. My county requires brush, logs & to be burned on the property from which it was removed; it cannot be hauled to another part of the county to be burned, though it can be hauled out of the county and it can be ground up...I don't know what they do with the logs since my tree guy said there isn't a market for logs in 6' sections. Burns on land can be done by permit, but has to then meet distance requirements from other homes and property (500 feet) and the operator must have equipment on hand to control a spread up to 1,000 feet...all of this requires prohibitive setbacks. And any pile can't be more than 5'x5' which is difficult to do with logs.

My next door neighbor was burning brush last summer. You could see the smoke in the right of way where the power lines are, but it was under control. Someone had called the county and they came and luckily for him, they gave him a warning. The Fire Marshall waived the fees since my neighbor was ignorant of the law, but said next time it was going to be a $500 fine and the cost of bringing all the fire trucks and the guys on them.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Suntan1

Post by Suntan1 »

unclescrooge wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:18 pm

I agree but tree is outside the fence planted by the construction company on a "preserve". Pretty much untouchable without permission from the county. Will incur a big fine that I'm not willing to pay.

Same with the eucalyptus tree in my front yard. Own by the county but I'm responsible to take care or it :oops: . I wanted to replace it with a canary island palm so I called the county to ask permission to replace it. I will incur a $500 fine and have to replace it with same kind of tree if I cut it down! Short answer was NO. Years later I had to pay $350 for an arborist to cut and haul same tree because it fell down during a storm, barely missing my neighbor's Mercedes. Could have been more expensive. Tree died of natural cause so I didn't have to replace or pay fine :sharebeer
Suntan1

Post by Suntan1 »

vested1 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:59 am

Amazing! 26k to cut down a 35' tree outside the fence on what I assume is HOA property and the neighbor has to pay half?

My community in SC is in an HOA too, but I didn't have to get permission to cut the 85' pine tree down in the front, but then again we don't have a fence and we own the property. Our HOA dues are $185 a month which includes maintenance of the paved road, the sewer (everywhere else we looked was on their own septic), free golf membership and golf, and membership to the large community pool and free swimming privileges. All the HOA members I talk to are outraged at the high HOA dues. :oops:

Oh, and gas today is $1.37 a gallon, so I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I will say that not all tree services are as cheap as the one I use. They are legit however. I've never seen the methods they use however, and can't imagine they would be legal in California, even on a private HOA.

They use a forklift and chainsaws, and a bucket truck if necessary, which they didn't apparently think they needed for our job. They fell the tree, cut it into 20' sections, then haul those sections down the road to our community burn pile next to the golf course on the HOA property using the forklift. They crush the limbs to compact them with the forklift after removing them from the trunk and haul them intact to the burn pile with the forklift also. They don't only service our HOA either. I suppose the cost for disposal must be much higher if the client doesn't live on the HOA because they can't use our burnpile. We are in a semi-rural area so the air is clean, even when burning is going on. You can even burn on your own property if you want to.

When I was young I remember my mom and dad cutting oak trees on our property in Seaside California (adjoining Monterey) and burning them. My mom always did the burning while my dad was at work and twice it got away from her and burnt down the barn. My dad would just build another one when that happened. At that time the city didn't care. How times change.
Yep. Gotten more expensive and rules more restrictive. Mostly good for environment but some rules are just plain ridiculous. A tree planted by the construction company on a reserve own by the county with HOA responsibility :oops: I'm sure HOA can find a more affordable arborist.

Cheapest gas at Costco $2.45, blended for Summer I think. Usually above $3.00
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Suntan1 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:46 pm

I agree but tree is outside the fence planted by the construction company on a "preserve". Pretty much untouchable without permission from the county. Will incur a big fine that I'm not willing to pay.

Same with the eucalyptus tree in my front yard. Own by the county but I'm responsible to take care or it :oops: . I wanted to replace it with a canary island palm so I called the county to ask permission to replace it. I will incur a $500 fine and have to replace it with same kind of tree if I cut it down! Short answer was NO. Years later I had to pay $350 for an arborist to cut and haul same tree because it fell down during a storm, barely missing my neighbor's Mercedes. Could have been more expensive. Tree died of natural cause so I didn't have to replace or pay fine :sharebeer
Does the slope drop away from your house, or is it an upslope?

If it's a down slope, just cut the roots on your side of the fence. The tree will fall over on the other side and you can leave it there at no cost :mrgreen:

Or maybe you can just dump a bag of salt around the tree so it dies and then get a permit to remove a dead tree? :twisted:
Point

Post by Point »

I have chainsaws, hand saws, climbing gear, and do my own work in CA. The gear is far less than the exorbitant prices here. Worker’s compensation has a bit to do with our cost as well. Fortunately, I’ve got a background that allows me to do my own work. I have a small chipper too.
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Point wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:56 pm I have chainsaws, hand saws, climbing gear, and do my own work in CA. The gear is far less than the exorbitant prices here. Worker’s compensation has a bit to do with our cost as well. Fortunately, I’ve got a background that allows me to do my own work. I have a small chipper too.
I have an unmarried daughter and some trees to cut down. Give me a call. :twisted:
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

vested1 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:01 pm
Point wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:56 pm I have chainsaws, hand saws, climbing gear, and do my own work in CA. The gear is far less than the exorbitant prices here. Worker’s compensation has a bit to do with our cost as well. Fortunately, I’ve got a background that allows me to do my own work. I have a small chipper too.
I have an unmarried daughter and some trees to cut down. Give me a call. :twisted:
Has anyone seen these series "idiots with chain saws"?

Please do this profession is very dangerous, my handyman cracked his leg with a tree, he was lucky he didn't lose it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZWjjjec9c

more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p4u2Ve1rOM
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

retire2022 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:08 pm
vested1 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:01 pm
Has anyone seen these series "idiots with chain saws"?

Please do this profession is very dangerous, my handyman cracked his leg with a tree, he was lucky he didn't lose it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZWjjjec9c
I have three daughters and can tell you from experience, fathers always think their sons-in-law are idiots, regardless of whether they own chainsaws or not.
Suntan1

Post by Suntan1 »

unclescrooge wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:50 pm
Suntan1 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:46 pm

Does the slope drop away from your house, or is it an upslope?

If it's a down slope, just cut the roots on your side of the fence. The tree will fall over on the other side and you can leave it there at no cost :mrgreen:

Or maybe you can just dump a bag of salt around the tree so it dies and then get a permit to remove a dead tree? :twisted:
Down slope leaning a bit downhill, in line on my neighbor's yard but roots go to my pond/waterfall due to water availability. Landscape company took pictures and measured the tree last February, for it to die suddenly seems a bit suspicious :twisted: My neighbor hires "independent landscapers" every two months of so when he doesn't feel like mowing. Don't want to poke my nose where it doesn't belong, for now I'll keep cutting roots from my pond :annoyed
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Poorman wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:09 pm
Normchad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:39 pm Those are very good prices. In northern Virginia, I think I paid about $1,200 to have a large oak tree removed, and the stump ground out.

Pay premium for 6' tall trees everywhere.
Update: At least in my case it's live and learn when buying trees. When I got my trees I was disappointed in their condition and their size. The white dogwood and one of the maple trees were fine, but everything turned out to be overpriced. I won't mention the name of the company as my order may have been an anomaly.

On a subsequent visit to Lowes for unrelated items I saw that they just got in a number of trees of the same variety that were about a third of the cost, in much better shape, and more established, as in a couple of feet taller. Fool me once, and all that. Never again.
mikeanderson20

Post by mikeanderson20 »

I'm really not surprised that tree service cost there is higher than in other states like yours. Angie lists show that California has the highest prices for tree service cost compared to several other states. There's also a variety of variables that arborists factor into their service costs that can increase or decrease your expenses. You can read more about the factors that affect tree service costs that will apply in most states. Hope this helps.