Investments you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

Investments you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole

Post by tvubpwcisla »

Examples: Stocks, Bonds, TIPS, Real Estate, Gold, Silver, CD's, Treasuries, Annuities, Care / Disability Insurance, Sectors, etc...

What would you NOT invest in and why?

Thanks!

:sharebeer
BGeste

Re: Investments you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole

Post by BGeste »

Annuities. Especially variable. Costs are absurd.
Poorman

Post by Poorman »

Bitcoin
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Most stock tips from media "experts".
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:42 pm Examples: Stocks, Bonds, TIPS, Real Estate, Gold, Silver, CD's, Treasuries, Annuities, Care / Disability Insurance, Sectors, etc...

Thanks!

Life insurance: (self insured)
Time Share, Fractional R/E Ownership: (no comment)
Physical Gold, Silver (other types of dry powder are better)
Alternatives : (not a good alternative)
Single stocks: (not for a boglehead)
Crypto Currency: (too esoteric)
Co-ownership of anything with family, friends, or strangers. (single ownership is best)
Anything "Leveraging"

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

First of all, I am answering this question honestly. But there are investments I would not touch with a ten-foot pole that might be appropriate, or at least not crazy, for somebody else.

1) Anything described as "innovative" that hasn't existed for a complete business cycle. That currently lets out a lot of "factor"-based products.

2) Anything that hasn't been made available as a mutual fund or an ETF--a true ETF that has been registered with the SEC and can be sold in the United States. As of today, that excludes cryptocurrency.

3) Anything that can't be charted with Morningstar and with PortfolioVisualizer. That lets out interval funds, for example.

4) Anything that is billed as an alternative to FDIC-insured bank accounts and money market mutual funds; things that are technically, strictly speaking not quite money market funds but are pretty much sort of like them only they pay more.

5) Anything that shows up as having short positions on Morningstar's "portfolio" charts, and anything that makes significant use of derivatives, because I don't understand them at all and can't make any intelligent judgement about them. That lets out collateralized commodity futures, as in the Fidelity Series Commodity Strategies Fund: 105.36% cash? I don't think so!

6) Anything that is described as "bringing hedge-fund-like strategies to the mass affluent investor," or "for the first time, allowing retail investors to invest in assets and participate in strategies that were once available only to the wealthy." That lets out a number of AQR's offerings.

7) Anything that is, on the face of it, much more risky than the total stock market. Even if it is part of a strategy in which other moving parts are supposed to counteract, oppose, and cancel out some of that risk.

8) Anything that commingles investments and insurance into a single product that is so complicated that I must rely on an agent to explain it to me, and that contains so many unique features that it is not identical to any competitor's product and can't be directly compared with it.

9) Any investment that does not roughly the requirements for diversification and liquidity that mutual funds must meet, or that uses more leverage than mutual funds are allowed to use. That lets out individual stocks, even Berkshire Hathaway.

10) Any investment that requires me to sign a legal paper certifying that I eat risk for breakfast and don't mind losing more money than I have.

11) Any mutual fund whose statement of "principal risks" runs to more than two pages in length.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
centennialstate

Post by centennialstate »

Government bonds. While popular, not capital investment, not supportive of free-market principles.
Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
David Althaus

Post by David Althaus »

Anything promising higher returns at lower risk.

Gold and other commodities--they have no earning power and must be sold to someone willing to pay a higher price.

Annuities--can you say high initial and high ongoing fees? Sure you can. Revisit if you live to 80.

All the best
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

centennialstate wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:35 pm Government bonds. While popular, not capital investment, not supportive of free-market principles.
“not supportive of free-market principles”

What does that mean? Please explain.
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r »

centennialstate wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:35 pm Government bonds. While popular, not capital investment, not supportive of free-market principles.
I applaud standing by your virtues.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Permanent life insurance; that is, whole life, universal life, variable universal life, indexed universal life
--- That is, any kind of life insurance except for level term insurance
--- Costs for permanent life insurance are very high, and "returns" are very low

Annuities; that is, variable annuities, indexed annuities
--- That is, any kind of annuities except single premium immediate annuities (SPIA)
--- Costs are high, tax treatment is often inefficient
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Treasury securities are sold in an open auction in a free market. And the Fed doesn't actually set any interest rates--I used to say it "sets" overnight rates but I was corrected; I'm afraid I don't remember the explanation, but it's why the Fed rate is stated as a range, like "0-0.25%" instead of a single value, and called "target" rate.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Tiger Sanctuary
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Gold.Tesla. Bitcoin.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

You're not serious, are you?
hudson

Post by hudson »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:42 pm What would you NOT invest in and why?
EDIT JUNE 9, 2023
VTI and its equivalents are fine
Otherwise, I'll stick with individual treasuries and CDs.
I suppose that anything that is Vanguard Risk Potential 1 and 2 is OK.

stocks...volatile
high dividend stocks...ha!
preferred stocks....double ha!
penny stocks....price is usually manipulated
long bonds...too much risk for me...I like intermediate
bond funds that aren't AAA/AA/A rated or are riskier than Vanguard Risk Potential 2
investment grade bonds...drop with stocks
gold and silver...commodities that pay no interest...speculative (I've never acted on the idea of having say 100 bulk silver dimes for extreme emergencies.)
land...real estate...speculative...I don't want another job; I don't want to pay any property taxes for something that's not paying its way.
load mutual funds....unbelievably people still buy these....one older gentleman told me that you had to pay a load to get into a mutual fund. A co-worker showed me his brokerage annual report...all 7% load funds...and they made changes every quarter.
life insurance...except term...although I don't say to much if I'm a beneficiary
funds with a high expense ratio (ER); I once owned a fund with an ER of .3, but I had to hold my nose (BMBIX).
Last edited by hudson on Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

Sandtrap wrote:
Life insurance: (self insured)
Time Share, Fractional R/E Ownership: (no comment)
Physical Gold, Silver (other types of dry powder are better)
Alternatives : (not a good alternative)
Single stocks: (not for a boglehead)
Crypto Currency: (too esoteric)
Co-ownership of anything with family, friends, or strangers. (single ownership is best)
Anything "Leveraging"
+1000

That's my list too! Rus. :beer
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Race horse
Sports franchise
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Previously dabbled in everything but now I will not invest in anything over than equities/bonds/cash/my pension
birdog

Post by birdog »

Bitcoin, precious metals, whole life insurance, most annuities, futures, art, and bridges.

https://joeyskaggs.com/2016/06/28/and-i ... -sell-you/
Last edited by birdog on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Poorman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 pmBitcoin
+1
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:42 pm Examples: Stocks, Bonds, TIPS, Real Estate, Gold, Silver, CD's, Treasuries, Annuities, Care / Disability Insurance, Sectors, etc...

Thanks!

peer-to-peer lending : opacity. High credit risk of borrowers ("ponzi borrowers"). lack of diversification

private label REITs - see American horror stories

leveraged ETFs or any investment where leverage is big part of what makes the returns (Note, I do invest in private equity closed end funds)

leveraged loan funds or other CLO-like vehicles

bitcoin & crypto - should be fairly obvious but the prices have clearly been rigged more than once

"collectibles", wine, art, classic cars - illiquid markets where the auctioneers have a lot of power. Also very fashion-driven

I have done quite a bit of private company (venture capital) type investing and generally the returns have been disappointing. Recently received just about my initial capital back from an investment made in 2000.

Just about anything a life assurance company will sell you except straight annuities and term life insurance (also disability)
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:07 am

Thanks!

peer-to-peer lending : opacity. High credit risk of borrowers ("ponzi borrowers"). lack of diversification

leveraged ETFs or any investment where leverage is big part of what makes the returns (Note, I do invest in private equity closed end funds)

bitcoin & crypto - should be fairly obvious but the prices have clearly been rigged more than once

"collectibles", wine, art, classic cars - illiquid markets where the auctioneers have a lot of power. Also very fashion-driven

I have done quite a bit of private company (venture capital) type investing and generally the returns have been disappointing. Recently received just about my initial capital back from an investment made in 2000.

Just about anything a life assurance company will sell you except straight annuities and term life insurance (also disability)
Excellent list and points.
Will keep these in mind.
Thanks!

Your thoughts on CEF's ?????
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Hedge funds. You too can give up a substantial portion of your returns for some "guru's" hot stock tips or some inscrutable algorithmic picker that do no better than VTI (often worse).
mickroark

Post by mickroark »

stocks, bitcoins, beanie babies, commercial real estate, autos, :beer
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:09 am
Valuethinker wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:07 am

Thanks!

Excellent list and points.
Will keep these in mind.
Thanks!

Your thoughts on CEF's ?????
OK in the UK we have "investment trusts" which are the same thing, pretty much. Some of them have reasonable expense ratios and decent long term track records. The problem for Americans is PFIC which means they are useless.

I did own an Oppenheimer Fund Quest for Value. Bought it at some huge discount (like 40%) to net assets. When it was finally open ended made quite a bit of money - this was in the early 90s - at least relative to my small portfolio value, then.

Generally US CEFs have high expense ratios. But there are a few around - there's an energy one, run out of Baltimore, that has been around since the 1930s. Also at one point Burton Malkiel ditched CEFs from his book, but he then became a very big bull of Emerging Markets, and the fund discounts on these were very large.

So I would say:

- look for not excessive expense ratios - there are funds with 3% out there!

- look for discounts to NAV over 10%. Generally arbitrageurs will come in and force the fund to either open end, wind up or buy back shares to close the discount

- look for manifestly out of favour sectors, that might recover. US municipal bonds right now?

- I know I dissed CLO funds, but there will be some bargains out there, although it's hard for an individual investor to figure that out

- do also consider holding companies, like Berkshire Hathaway. Fairfax in Canada for example. Brookfield Asset Management is a triumph of financial engineering, but I have had that one for a long time - you just have to accept you won't be able to understand what is really going on (John Dizard in the FT is writing about this next Monday). There are a couple of other BH like conglomerates out there, still, I believe.

I should have added to my do not touch list:

mortgage REITs - these have far underperformed the REIT sector. Maybe there are some bargains out there, but just in case.
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba »

Alpaca farms
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Corporate bonds.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

International Bonds
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Hedge Funds, Private REITS, Private real estate partnerships, CEF's, Commodities, Levered ETF's, individual stocks, international bonds, precious metals (gold silver etc), private equity, start ups, loaded mutual funds, art, collectables, peer to peer lending. (I learned my lesson the hard way on some of these in my 30's and 40's).

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I break this answer into two parts:

Things that I don't think anyone should touch with a ten-foot pole
Cryptocurrency: at best it's currency speculation, and you might as well just buy Euros and Yen to hedge your dollars. At worst, it's an outright scam
Leveraged/inverse funds and ETFs: These seem like a solution in search of a problem. They also don't really act the way they claim to in the long run, which means that they're a perfect vessel to separate regular people from their money
Art and collectibles: I buy art, but it's not an investment. It's an expense. I never expect to sell any art that I've purchased
Precious metals: same view as art. If you like shiny coins, go for it, but don't be surprised if the value swings wildly for no reason at all.

Things that some people should invest in, but I don't want to take the due diligence necessary for them
Hedge Funds (my pension fund uses some hedge funds, but the state treasurer is reducing the exposure to them in favor of regular equity and real estate)
Individual Stocks (I don't want to take enough time to actually do the necessary research)
Commodities futures: They don't produce income, perform services, or add value to other people's goods. That said, the McDonald's chicken feed futures story is a good example of when commodities futures serve a great business purpose https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/03/how-ray ... ugget.html
Direct real estate: I don't want the second job of managing a property. I'm decently handy with my own house, but I don't want another. A friend of my father-in-law is a general contractor and makes boatloads of money managing several apartment buildings. He does almost all of the maintenance, and he knows the best deals in town for what he can't do himself.
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

1. more babies because it's a 100% guarantee financial loss.
2. bonds because it's a big drag on my portfolio.
3. individual stocks with no positive earnings or earning growth.
Spinola

Post by Spinola »

Any cryptocurrency
Anything with an ER greater than my shoe size with a decimal point in front of it..
Any individual stock
Anything recommended by an "expert" stock picker
Anything I can't read up on and understand in 5 minutes or less
Beanie babies
:mrgreen:
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." | Thorin Oakenshield
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Any security I chose to express my political opinion.

I do that at the ballot box, not in my portfolio.

PJW
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

jpelder wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:23 am I break this answer into two parts:

Things that I don't think anyone should touch with a ten-foot pole
Cryptocurrency: at best it's currency speculation, and you might as well just buy Euros and Yen to hedge your dollars. At worst, it's an outright scam
Leveraged/inverse funds and ETFs: These seem like a solution in search of a problem. They also don't really act the way they claim to in the long run, which means that they're a perfect vessel to separate regular people from their money
Art and collectibles: I buy art, but it's not an investment. It's an expense. I never expect to sell any art that I've purchased
Precious metals: same view as art. If you like shiny coins, go for it, but don't be surprised if the value swings wildly for no reason at all.

Things that some people should invest in, but I don't want to take the due diligence necessary for them
Hedge Funds (my pension fund uses some hedge funds, but the state treasurer is reducing the exposure to them in favor of regular equity and real estate)
Individual Stocks (I don't want to take enough time to actually do the necessary research)
Commodities futures: They don't produce income, perform services, or add value to other people's goods. That said, the McDonald's chicken feed futures story is a good example of when commodities futures serve a great business purpose https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/03/how-ray ... ugget.html
Direct real estate: I don't want the second job of managing a property. I'm decently handy with my own house, but I don't want another. A friend of my father-in-law is a general contractor and makes boatloads of money managing several apartment buildings. He does almost all of the maintenance, and he knows the best deals in town for what he can't do himself.
My list is the same, but I'd add to the "things some people should invest in":
- Private equity, private REITS, and direct lending: I don't want to pay for illiquidity, and I don't believe these investments are truly diversifiers. These are all going to lose money when the economy takes a hit.
- Unhedged foreign bonds: I don't want currency risk on an otherwise low-volatility asset.
- Corporate bonds: I use bonds as a diversifier, and credit risk is highly correlated with equity risk.
- Physical commodities: They don't produce anything. They're just a bet on valuations, at the cost of storage.
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:47 pm Any security I chose to express my political opinion.

I do that at the ballot box, not in my portfolio.

PJW
I'm the exact type of person you'd expect to own "ESG" funds, but I don't. I instead chose a fund whose managers push companies to behave more ethically.
Last edited by Dominic on Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RomeoMustDie

Post by RomeoMustDie »

I really want to play around with buying directional ETF's to profit off of volatility, options spreads, and buying calls for leverage, but I can't seem to guess the market's direction, top, bottom, volatility, or anything else consistently so maybe it's better to keep it simple. :)
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

I'm staying away from a bunch of stuff, but at minimum wouldn't touch anything that won't be bailed out by the government.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Structured Notes.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

New Providence wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:03 pm I'm staying away from a bunch of stuff, but at minimum wouldn't touch anything that won't be bailed out by the government.
I'm afraid for declining future equity risk premiums if more investors take this point of view.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Anything that requires a "salesman" to "sell to me" with a rehearsed presentation. . . .

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:30 pm Anything that requires a "salesman" to "sell to me" with a rehearsed presentation. . . .

But sometimes you get a free steak dinner.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

If you want to support society, make a lot of money, and pay a lot of tax. :happy
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I only invest in broad market index mutual funds with low expense ratios. If it isn't that, I won't touch it with a ten foot pole.
BullMoose

Post by BullMoose »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:29 pm
10) Any investment that requires me to sign a legal paper certifying that I eat risk for breakfast and don't mind losing more money than I have.
haha - this made me laugh :D
“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt
AnalogKid22

Post by AnalogKid22 »

Bitcoin is incredibly intriguing. I don't own any, I don't plan on owning any, and I certainly don't understand it well enough to know whether it's worth all the hype it's getting. But, in 10 years or more, if a single bitcoin is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, as the pundits are predicting, looking back to now, with BTC well under 10K, won't be easy.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

AnalogKid22 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:07 pm Bitcoin is incredibly intriguing. I don't own any, I don't plan on owning any, and I certainly don't understand it well enough to know whether it's worth all the hype it's getting. But, in 10 years or more, if a single bitcoin is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, as the pundits are predicting, looking back to now, with BTC well under 10K, won't be easy.
“Pundits” are speculating. Do not listen to pundits.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Don’t invest in single stocks; but I do from time to time invest in Lottery Bonds, like Mega Millions!!! And I don’t invest in commodities, funds or otherwise; but I can see myself someday, with a little sack of gold coins dangling under my belt.
AnalogKid22

Post by AnalogKid22 »

minimalistmarc wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:13 pm
AnalogKid22 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:07 pm Bitcoin is incredibly intriguing. I don't own any, I don't plan on owning any, and I certainly don't understand it well enough to know whether it's worth all the hype it's getting. But, in 10 years or more, if a single bitcoin is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, as the pundits are predicting, looking back to now, with BTC well under 10K, won't be easy.
“Pundits” are speculating. Do not listen to pundits.
I do not do what they say, but they're quite entertaining to listen to. Perhaps it's because they have so much riding on it, since a single bitcoin today is several thousands of dollars even after being cut in half. But, they are absolutely certain, without a doubt, that bitcoin will be the next major currency and anyone not buying it now, at these once-in-a-lifetime prices, will be so regretful 10 years from now.
Retiredron

Post by Retiredron »

Most "investments" that are advertised on CNBC, Fox Business or radio talk shows - things like " physical gold in your IRA", "14-21% return on commercial real estate", etc. I know it's buyer beware but these channels should really do a much better job screening most of the "investment" ads they run - most (my opinion) are very terrible products that probably suck in more people than we realize since the ads are on all the time.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Poorman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 pmBitcoin
+1000