What's worth paying more for?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Taylor Larimore

Re: What's worth paying more for?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Buying whatever your partner wants--if you can possibly afford it.

I was rewarded with a happy marriage for 62 years.

Best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Great posts! I would like to spend more on walking/running shoes. I’ve been told Hoka is a good make. I have flat feet and likely related pain. I want to spend the $ but I’m thinking going to a proper shoe shop and investing in sizing, how I stand/walk may be a good investment now vs. just buying Hoka shoes online. Thoughts from the show experts?
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:23 am
BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:34 am Real perfume over toilette versions of the same thing

Grass-fed organic chicken and beef

Toms (the more sturdy models) and Naturalizer sneakers

Plant-based chips made of 100% real vegetables (then fried)

Anastasia Beverly Hills eyebrow pencil and gel

Clinique skincare (less expensive than nearly any other department store brand, more expensive than most drugstore brands. Right in the middle). Other people swear by their dermatologists’ products but do what works for you.
Marketing aside, I'm pretty sure grass fed chicken isn't actually a thing. Chickens and cows are very different and a chicken likely wouldn't survive on a diet primarily consisting of grass.
I think what BrownEyedGirl meant is pasture raised chicken, which means that they are eating bugs and all the good stuff that's found in pastures. Their eggs taste better too, and even look different.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:50 am Bogleheads:

Best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Good advice!
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

A home gym had a lot higher upfront costs than a gym membership, but it’s been worth it. And my annual financial ROI is about 20% compared to what I was paying. Never minding how much better my compliance has been
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Food.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

I've found that most things of higher quality do cost more and are worth paying more for if you will enjoy them. The trick is separating these from the many things that are NOT higher quality and enjoyable but still cost more than average.

Food
Housewares
Shoes
Audio equipment
Classic clothing
Recreational equipment
Tires
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Kitchen knives, tools for home projects, mattresses, bedding, bicycles, timeless items of clothing, shoes, socks, Room & Board Furniture, electric toothbrushes, toilet paper, paper towels, interior paint when you paint a room are just a few that come to mind.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I find that the point of diminishing returns starts pretty early for most things I buy, which makes it easy to be frugal. Also, waiting a bit or doing some shopping research can often make it easy to get higher quality without spending much more. It’s the good, cheap, fast trade-off, where you can only ever have two of these.

That said, I will usually pay more for food, but only if it tastes better.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

1st class hotel at least for the first night when traveling to a foreign country for the first time.
retireIn2020

Post by retireIn2020 »

22twain wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:49 am
retireIn2020 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:43 pm A high-quality white down goose pillow, every morning I wake up I'm reminded what great way to spend $350 on a couple pillows! Perfect pairing for the Serta perfect sleeper, Egyptian cotton sheets and goose down comforter!
Just curious... how did you happen to respond to a thread that has been dormant for two and a half years?
The search feature. :sharebeer
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Time with loved ones.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:58 am Great posts! I would like to spend more on walking/running shoes. I’ve been told Hoka is a good make. I have flat feet and likely related pain. I want to spend the $ but I’m thinking going to a proper shoe shop and investing in sizing, how I stand/walk may be a good investment now vs. just buying Hoka shoes online. Thoughts from the show experts?
Go to a proper running shoe store and have them assess everything. Then buy the shoe they recommend.

When that shoe wears out, buy the same model online.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

jayjayc wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:51 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:58 am Great posts! I would like to spend more on walking/running shoes. I’ve been told Hoka is a good make. I have flat feet and likely related pain. I want to spend the $ but I’m thinking going to a proper shoe shop and investing in sizing, how I stand/walk may be a good investment now vs. just buying Hoka shoes online. Thoughts from the show experts?
Go to a proper running shoe store and have them assess everything. Then buy the shoe they recommend.

Thank you. I plan on doing this 👍
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:06 am
BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:34 am Real perfume over toilette versions of the same thing

Clinique skincare (less expensive than nearly any other department store brand, more expensive than most drugstore brands. Right in the middle). Other people swear by their dermatologists’ products but do what works for you.
Marketing aside, I'm pretty sure grass fed chicken isn't actually a thing. Chickens and cows are very different and a chicken likely wouldn't survive on a diet primarily consisting of grass.
I think what BrownEyedGirl meant is pasture raised chicken, which means that they are eating bugs and all the good stuff that's found in pastures. Their eggs taste better too, and even look different.
No such thing. Pasture raised chicken don't eat bugs. They are commercially raised chicken in large number in small enclosures. There is no bug who can survive in front of one million chicken.
Any commercially available chicken in the stores does not taste at all like chicken. Kids cannot even eat real chicken. Mine cannot even drink real milk, he does not like milk taste. US supermarket milk does not taste like milk and he likes that.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I see a lot of socks posts. How can this be so important to so many people? I have no idea what socks I wear, they are all the same to me.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Starfish wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:14 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:06 am

No such thing. Pasture raised chicken don't eat bugs. They are commercially raised chicken in large number in small enclosures. There is no bug who can survive in front of one million chicken.
Any commercially available chicken in the stores does not taste at all like chicken. Kids cannot even eat real chicken. Mine cannot even drink real milk, he does not like milk taste. US supermarket milk does not taste like milk and he likes that.
Who am I going to believe, you or my lying eyes? :D There are local farms here and my SIL in CT sure seems like she raises chickens in a pasture. She has far fewer than a million though. I guess the question is whether the local chicken/eggs I can purchase count as "commercially available." That's one of the advantages of living in a rural eco conscious area.

There are also GrassMilk sources that my wife drinks; true, it tastes very different than "normal" milk, whatever that is.
Lykko

Post by Lykko »

BrooklynInvest wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:34 am Beer, motorcycle reliability (the qualifier is important), camera lenses, vacations, sports jackets and non-work shirts, steak (home our out), beer, decorating and maintaining our house, computer monitors and speed, well-fitting shoes, beer.
You forgot beer.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Starfish wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:15 pm I see a lot of socks posts. How can this be so important to so many people? I have no idea what socks I wear, they are all the same to me.
I received an amazing pair of socks as a gift last Christmas and sing their praises to the gift giver, with hopes that I'll receive another pair (or 3) this year. Sadly, I don't know what brand they are, but they are warm and soft (nicer than any Smartwool or other brands that I've tried.) If the gift giver will reveal the brand to me, I'll post that information (after I buy several pairs for myself if I don't receive them as gifts.) All of this is to say that socks really can make a difference in comfort.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Colorado14 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:54 pm
Starfish wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:15 pm I see a lot of socks posts. How can this be so important to so many people? I have no idea what socks I wear, they are all the same to me.
I received an amazing pair of socks as a gift last Christmas and sing their praises to the gift giver, with hopes that I'll receive another pair (or 3) this year. Sadly, I don't know what brand they are, but they are warm and soft (nicer than any Smartwool or other brands that I've tried.) If the gift giver will reveal the brand to me, I'll post that information (after I buy several pairs for myself if I don't receive them as gifts.) All of this is to say that socks really can make a difference in comfort.
Since there are so many sock aficionados on this thread, you could post photos of your socks and perhaps someone can identify them.
mceagle555

Post by mceagle555 »

Smartwool or Darn Tough Wool Socks
High thread count sheets
Good laptop (Mac = Air or Pro; PC = Thinkpad)
Underwear
Shoes
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Gardening tools. Good ones last a lifetime. Books, no kindle for me. Furniture, good furniture will last generations. Shoes. Sheets, a good night's sleep is priceless. Cat food, pays off in their good health.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I often get fancy socks as gifts. I have a few pairs of Smartwool and Bombas, even more of Stance (a local company). I guess, they're "nice", but they really don't make any difference to me; and the price difference is :shock:.
broncocountry25

Post by broncocountry25 »

Primary residence.

I spend a lot of time at home. Having a good house is great and its a use asset that can hold its value and hopefully appreciate.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Carpet cleaning.

You could rent a big, hulking machine at the supermarket and fuss with cleaning fluids and pouring the dirty fluid down the drain. Nuts to that. Just pay Stanley Steemer to come in and mission accomplished. After all, we're Bogleheads and we're rich, so we can afford it.

Related to a previous post:
Buy a nice tool and you'll cry when you buy it. Buy a cheap tool and you'll cry when you use it.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

A good hot water dispenser. Japan made or US made, never a cheap China made with low quality stainless steel.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Good plan. I did the same. In my experience the fit is more important than the brand. I wear Brooks for running because the toe box is exactly the right shape for my wide feet. Even other wides crunch my toes after a while. I look for sales and buy exactly the same (old) model. I don't really like the look and have other sneakers for "fashion."
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:36 am
I often get fancy socks as gifts. I have a few pairs of Smartwool and Bombas, even more of Stance (a local company). I guess, they're "nice", but they really don't make any difference to me; and the price difference is :shock:.
For one thing as people age, so I have been told by salespeople, fat deposits in feet decline. Feet can feel uncomfortably boney inside of many sock/shoe combinations. Therefore extra thick soft socks especially if they have even thicker padding in toes & heels can make a big difference. In addition at least for me synthetic fabric feels uncomfortable, sort of greasy and feet can sweat. So I want extra thick with a max of natural fabrics. These are surprisingly hard to find.

As many have noted Darn Tough good brand. I try for these or Filson for higher top hiking & XC skiing.

For lower cut around house & street one of better I have found is Wigwam Merino Silk Hiker F2337. Current version is 61% Merino 28% Nylon 10% Silk 1% Spandex (Amazon shows availability runs a bit small I take Large size with Men 8.5 shoe. Older version however better (I still have a few unopened) They were65% Merino 20% Nylon 10% Silk 5% Spandex - Note that natural fabrics reduced from 75% to 71%. I can tell the difference.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Anything to maintain or sustain or improve or grow:

1 Quality of Life
2 Physical comfort and vitality and well being
3 Physical health and function
4 Education, Mentation, Mental growth and humility.
5 One's personal ethos and relationship and understanding of the world and others.

j🌺
(insert standard dis laimer for opinionizations and onions)
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

broncocountry25 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:41 am Primary residence.

I spend a lot of time at home. Having a good house is great and its a use asset that can hold its value and hopefully appreciate.
Being retired and having extensive reno to family house I would definitely agree. When working all day not as important.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

I’m trying to convince my wife that first class on Hawaiian airlines and staying at either the Kahala, Ritz-Carlton or Halekulani with an additional week in Maui at the Sheraton , Andaz, or anything 5* is worth it. It’ll never be, alas. :annoyed
Mr. Buzzkill

Post by Mr. Buzzkill »

Good coffee. Bad coffee starts your day off wrong.

Good whiskey. Cheap stuff and blends can be ok to water down with ice and in cocktails. But if you drink only a little alcohol little, it might as well be good stuff like single malt Scotch.

Grass-fed beef if you are not a vegetarian.

Reliable, safe automobiles. Why risk your life and convenience?

Apple computers if you don’t absolutely require Windows. I’m still happily running running a 2012 MacBook Pro. Battery sill has 79 percent of its original charge capacity.

Good shoes. Cheap shoes can make you miserable if you walk much or work on your feet.

Real mozzarella d’bufala (buffalo). If you make your own pizza or cold cheese appetizers, it’s a world of difference from American “pizza cheese” and you need less of it to complement other ingredients because it’s so rich.
A strategy that works only in bull markets isn’t much of a strategy. Anyway, four dollars a pound.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

A few years ago I had cataract surgery. My eye doctor gave me the option of having the cataracts removed using a scalpel or using a laser, which she recommended. I opted for the laser and afterwards she said the laser did a good job with the cataracts.

The laser cost $1,500 per eye, not covered by insurance; it came out of my pocket. 100% worth it.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Nice mattress and sheets. People skimp on this and its like an extra $1000 spread over 10 years to materially improve 1/3 of your life.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

Socks are a legit item to pay more for quality on. I only wear Darn Tough, and Under Armour socks these days.

Another item that I did a buy once/cry once over was my home office setup. I bought an 72" standing Uplift Desk, and a 32" BenQ 4k monitor. Makes me so much more productive working from home.

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:25 pm Nice mattress and sheets. People skimp on this and its like an extra $1000 spread over 10 years to materially improve 1/3 of your life.
I was just coming into the thread to post this. As much time as we spend sleeping, and how important it is to setting up the day to come, I'm ready to shell out a good bit on a mattress, and not skimp on the sheets and pillows. The benefit to the cost is ineffable.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

I disagree on quality sheets but respect other people's preferences. DW wanted high quality, expensive sheets for all the mattresses. I hardly notice any improvement from my old decent sheets. If you sleep naked, maybe it makes more of a difference but I like pajamas.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:50 am Bogleheads:

Best wishes
Taylor
+1000
yes yes

wisdom from experience 🌺

mahalo🌺
j
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

AlohaBill wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:16 am I’m trying to convince my wife that first class on Hawaiian airlines and staying at either the Kahala, Ritz-Carlton or Halekulani with an additional week in Maui at the Sheraton , Andaz, or anything 5* is worth it. It’ll never be, alas. :annoyed
+1

First class Hawaiian on mainland flights has the cocoon lay flat seats
For me....a must.

Hilton Waikaloa on the Big Island top floor ocean view and balcony.

or AirBnB or VRBO....rent a house.

Aloha🌺
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

jayjayc wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:05 pm I disagree on quality sheets but respect other people's preferences. DW wanted high quality, expensive sheets for all the mattresses. I hardly notice any improvement from my old decent sheets. If you sleep naked, maybe it makes more of a difference but I like pajamas.
A guest can sleep on crummy sheets for a couple nights. Not me though :twisted:
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I got a set of "Sheex" linens which used to advertise heavily on TV. The fabric is very stretchy and really breathes, which is great in warm/hot weather. They're not the miracle the TV ads claim but they're nice when it's hot.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:24 pm
jayjayc wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:05 pm I disagree on quality sheets but respect other people's preferences. DW wanted high quality, expensive sheets for all the mattresses. I hardly notice any improvement from my old decent sheets. If you sleep naked, maybe it makes more of a difference but I like pajamas.
A guest can sleep on crummy sheets for a couple nights. Not me though :twisted:
Same philosophy that I have regarding Charmin!
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:25 pm Nice mattress and sheets. People skimp on this and its like an extra $1000 spread over 10 years to materially improve 1/3 of your life.
I second the mattress and sheets. I like linen sheets. It's more expensive, but worth it for me.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:15 am
jayjayc wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:51 pm

Thank you. I plan on doing this 👍
Ha, the advice I hear from lots of runners is if you like the shoe to buy a few more pairs right away since the models are always changing.

I'm pretty thrifty by nature, but I've never found much value in buying running shoes online versus going to a good store. Marginal savings for a big risk, especially if you have issues you're trying to correct.
broncocountry25

AlohaBill wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:16 am I’m trying to convince my wife that first class on Hawaiian airlines and staying at either the Kahala, Ritz-Carlton or Halekulani with an additional week in Maui at the Sheraton , Andaz, or anything 5* is worth it. It’ll never be, alas. :annoyed
We stayed at Andaz for our honey moon on Maui, we enjoyed our time.
broncocountry25

Wilderness Librarian wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:24 am
broncocountry25 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:41 am Primary residence.

Being retired and having extensive reno to family house I would definitely agree. When working all day not as important.
Just something nice about coming home to your own space customized to you and yours.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

I work from home, so a high-end office chair from Herman Miller or Steelcase. (I have a Leap Chair). Also, three huge quality monitors, since I spend most of my day looking at them.

A quality mattress, replaced every 10 years or so.

Between those two, it covers probably 18 hours a day on weekdays.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Another thread reminded me of this: paying for the upper tier of streaming services, especially for the AD-FREE stream. Years ago, I had a DVR and would only watch recorded shows so that I could skip commercials. Watching commercials again is not something I intend to do.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I've moved up to the best sheets from Costco (I slept on the $30 sets for years).
A thick foam pad on top of my mattress. (I'm thin, and my bones will keep me awake if I'm not on a nice, soft surface).
Commercial-free streaming (no cable), both for stuff on my TV and for Spotify.
Charmin.
I'm frugal with the food budget, but the produce at Whole Foods--especially the locally-grown produce--stays good a LOT longer than that from the local grocery store or from Trader Joe's. So it's actually more frugal than throwing away produce that went bad.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:13 pm or AirBnB or VRBO....rent a house.

Aloha🌺
We rented VRBO houses twice on the Big Island with ocean views at Captain Cook and invited family along to enjoy, and they did! It was great fun.

But my daughter-in-law found a huge spider in the closet one day! It was as big as the palm of your hand. My son managed to catch and release it. That part wasn’t fun!
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Out of curiosity, what are the top benefits for expensive, high quality sheets compared to a good set from Target?

Even if they're silky smooth, the only body part that gets to enjoy them would be my feet when wearing pajamas. As mentioned before, DW bought nice sheets but even she has some buyer's remorse.