Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by LadyGeek »

As I was walking by a home in my neighborhood, a couple of Turkey Vultures landed on the roof peak of a 2-story home. One of them stood straight up and spread his wings in a "this is my turf" attitude. I've never seen that before. A few crows were in the area, but staying away.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Saw my first Ruby-throated hummingbird of this spring today. A neighbor said she saw one earlier this week at her feeder.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TN_Boy wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:56 am Saw my first Ruby-throated hummingbird of this spring today. A neighbor said she saw one earlier this week at her feeder.
Nice! I've heard some people in my state start putting their hummingbird feeders out around tax day so I'm going to put mine out a little earlier this year to see if there's any activity.

I also ordered a few more native perennials to add to my summer garden options for hummingbirds who are supposed to love the flowers on this plant (agastache; Licorice Mint Hyssop).

https://www.highcountrygardens.com/pere ... -rupestris
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I am glad to see this thread is still running. Anyway... recent shore highlights... ducks, stuff eating other stuff... It's a snapping turtle that the eagle is attacking there...

f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

great Pics Hi.....

wow on the eagle attacking a snapper. that could have ended badly for eagle if snapper got hold of a leg....
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Osprey are trying to bully their way onto boats on our docks. Every year, they start putting sticks, branches onto canopies etc.... so its a couple times a day going down removing limbs, getting hairy eyeball from them etc.... One guy put motion sensor sprinkler on canopy working great so far...
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

f35phixer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:09 pm great Pics Hi.....

wow on the eagle attacking a snapper. that could have ended badly for eagle if snapper got hold of a leg....
Yes, cool photos!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

f35phixer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:12 pm Osprey are trying to bully their way onto boats on our docks. Every year, they start putting sticks, branches onto canopies etc.... so its a couple times a day going down removing limbs, getting hairy eyeball from them etc.... One guy put motion sensor sprinkler on canopy working great so far...
Every once in a while I run across a house where the owners are away (snowbirds?) and the Ospreys have built a nest on their chimney. One has already claimed the top of a power pole at a major intersection nearby - I saw him/her working on the new nest when I was stopped at the light.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:34 pm
f35phixer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:09 pm great Pics Hi.....

Yes, cool photos!
Why thank you. It is partly because of this forum that I have been inspired to take more animal pictures.

In terms of that eagle, there were actually three of them out that day, and were engaged in either a mating ritual or territorial dispute, as can be seen here. I suspect that one of them was being overly aggressive with the snapping turtle to impress the others.

GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Local Red Tail Hawk killed a Crow in neighbor's yard this morning
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

GG1273 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:12 pm Local Red Tail Hawk killed a Crow in neighbor's yard this morning
Interesting they would go after a larger bird like that! Crows seem pretty resilient.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Starlings just showed up at my bird feeder.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:36 pm
GG1273 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:12 pm Local Red Tail Hawk killed a Crow in neighbor's yard this morning
Interesting they would go after a larger bird like that! Crows seem pretty resilient.
yeah; and don't normally expect RTs or even RSs to hunt birds - more like Cooper behavior. But a bird's gotta eat.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

hi_there wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:43 pm I am glad to see this thread is still running. Anyway... recent shore highlights... ducks, stuff eating other stuff... It's a snapping turtle that the eagle is attacking there...

Really nice shot of the eagle .... I'm intrigued by WHY it was going after the turtle. Perhaps it thought it was a fish on the surface?? It's not like the eagle can drag the turtle out of the water and eat it.

One of the larger fish I've seen an Osprey come up with.
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

I watched 10 Osprey diving for fish today all over 1 school of fish
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

There is a small pond in front of my condo. Mallard ducks and Canadian geese have arrived. They don’t stay long- no fish in the pond.
Alsohearing birds more - cardinals and chickadeesare singing their littlehearts out.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:43 am As I was walking by a home in my neighborhood, a couple of Turkey Vultures landed on the roof peak of a 2-story home. One of them stood straight up and spread his wings in a "this is my turf" attitude. I've never seen that before. A few crows were in the area, but staying away.
They often do that to use the UV rays to kill off harmful bacteria on their feathers and skin.

It can be an amazing sight, especially when there are a 10-20 birds.

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

hi_there wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:43 pm I am glad to see this thread is still running. Anyway... recent shore highlights...

Wow! Look at that photo! We can see every feather splayed out and the fish's gills - really wonderful photograph :happy
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXZT3mU0-I

WOW timings everything with the great PIC of eagle snapping turtle.

LadyHawk did a great video of SWFL eagles eating on a turtle, actually they've got a few shells in nest.

Now granted this wasn't a snapper :D
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Yes, usually see RT with squirrels here. After grabbing it on the ground, flew up to a branch for a few minutes while getting mobbed, then flew down the street with the prize.
huzen

Post by huzen »

I have been watching chickadees pull moss off my dogwood tree, and I see that they're taking it into a cavity in a small snag on my fence line. The cavity was made a few years ago by a woodpecker. I love Spring!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

GG1273 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:15 pm
Yes, usually see RT with squirrels here. After grabbing it on the ground, flew up to a branch for a few minutes while getting mobbed, then flew down the street with the prize.
Wow. Cooper's Hawks seem the most aggressive around here but I'm sure I see very little of actual "hunting" by raptors, etc.
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

Spring winter storm a few days ago blew in about 15 Gray-crowned Rosy-finches…my first time seeing them and a real treat.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:35 pm
Y
Wow. Cooper's Hawks seem the most aggressive around here but I'm sure I see very little of actual "hunting" by raptors, etc.
Yes, red tails are on eggs now north of me at Cornell Univ
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/red-tailed-hawks/
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

GG1273 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:07 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:35 pm
Y
Yes, red tails are on eggs now north of me at Cornell Univ
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/red-tailed-hawks/
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

Cornell has a great website. I watch several of their cams depending on the season. The great horned owlet has recently "branched" and is growing quickly.

:beer
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

hi_there wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:43 pm I am glad to see this thread is still running. Anyway... recent shore highlights... ducks, stuff eating other stuff... It's a snapping turtle that the eagle is attacking there...

Awesome shots

What camera and lens???

Thanks!!!!!
J🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
smectym

Post by smectym »

I am shocked by the beauty of the photos posted on this thread. I wasn't prepared for it.

Merely wished to report that, having moved to a new area with a large hunting ground right behind our home, I set out for a hike (after gaining permission from the hunting club that owns the land). Trudging along in the dense red soil, I soon became aware of two predator birds (I can't identify them, should have taken a picture) circling overhead with that "we have all the time in the world" intimation. I kept walking, they kept circling, moving with me. They never descended, nor posed any threat nor cawed either at me or to each other. Silently they circled. But after a while, the stalking, though purely a formality, made me nervous, and I retraced my steps and headed back. They followed me back. But as I left the hunting ground and attained my own property, they benignly winged off in search of some more promising victim. "No hard feelings; look, this is what we do" was the impression they gave.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

I'm watching blue jays at the bird feeder outside my window, they are swallowing whole peanuts in their shells! I had no idea. I thought they broke open the peanut shell and ate the inside.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Ivygirl wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:16 am I'm watching blue jays at the bird feeder outside my window, they are swallowing whole peanuts in their shells! I had no idea. I thought they broke open the peanut shell and ate the inside.
I also am amazed by the amount of food Blue Jays can stuff in their mouths. This is what Cornell says about this behavior:

"Blue Jays make a large variety of calls that carry long distances. Most calls produced while the jay is perched within a tree. Usually flies across open areas silently, especially during migration. Stuffs food items in throat pouch to cache elsewhere; when eating, holds a seed or nut in feet and pecks it open."

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_Jay/id
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Ivygirl wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:16 am I'm watching blue jays at the bird feeder outside my window, they are swallowing whole peanuts in their shells! I had no idea. I thought they broke open the peanut shell and ate the inside.
We rarely get "blue jays" or "blue birds". So when we see them and hear them, it's wonderful.
You're lucky to get them outside your window.

Do you have any pictures of them to post here?
j :D
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:50 am
We rarely get "blue jays" or "blue birds". So when we see them and hear them, it's wonderful.
You're lucky to get them outside your window.

Do you have any pictures of them to post here?
j :D
No pictures I'm afraid, everyone would see how much my window needs a wash. :shock:

Blue jays have the prettiest call, that Wee-oh, liquid and sweet.

Unfortunately I see less of the cardinals when blue jays are around. When the peanuts are all gone the blue jays depart though, they only like peanuts. When I go outside to fill the feeder I call "Hey birds, hey birds, tweet-tweet-tweet," and immediately I heard the patter of sparrow and house finch feet on the neighbor's carport as they position themselves. Then the blue jay in the distant tree aw-aw-aw, it's the dinner bell, they come and eat all the peanuts. The cardinals come early while it is dark or late, after sunset.

My housebound neighbor, who is something of a grump, and once told me (after seeing an election sign in my yard) that she never thought a Republican would move in next to her :) , opens her side door when I call "hey birds" to watch them feeding, but we generally don't speak. She is in a wheelchair. There are abandoned old bird feeders hanging in many places on her property.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

I have been a bit fascinated with Snowy Egrets lately and had an opportunity to photograph one fishing near the coast. It was a bit of a blustery day so it took a few hours to catch just the right look of the windswept feathers and a caught fish.

Not bad for a handheld shot!

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Nefleaglecam.org - oldest eagle just fledged.

My front yard has mallards and canadian geese swimming in the pond.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

WoodSpinner wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:15 am I have been a bit fascinated with Snowy Egrets lately and had an opportunity to photograph one fishing near the coast. It was a bit of a blustery day so it took a few hours to catch just the right look of the windswept feathers and a caught fish.

WoodSpinner
Awesome!
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

smectym wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:29 pm Trudging along in the dense red soil, I soon became aware of two predator birds (I can't identify them, should have taken a picture) circling overhead with that "we have all the time in the world" intimation. I kept walking, they kept circling, moving with me. They never descended, nor posed any threat nor cawed either at me or to each other. Silently they circled. But after a while, the stalking, though purely a formality, made me nervous, and I retraced my steps and headed back. They followed me back. But as I left the hunting ground and attained my own property, they benignly winged off in search of some more promising victim. "No hard feelings; look, this is what we do" was the impression they gave.
I don't know where you live but the silent, all-the-time-in-the-world circling makes me think of Turkey Vultures. They ride thermals really efficiently and rarely have to flap their wings, they just spin and wobble a little bit with their wings in more of a V shape than most other soaring birds. Very big
birds, black with red heads (although the heads are often hard to see in flight.) They're found almost everywhere in the Continental US, and harmless to humans (and other animals for that matter; they're scavengers). They hunt for carrion mostly by smell.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Tur ... e/overview
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

That would have been my guess as well. Turkey Vultures and/or Black Vultures. They often hang out together.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

stilts1007 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:37 pm
smectym wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:29 pm Trudging along in the dense red soil, I soon became aware of two predator birds (I can't identify them, should have taken a picture) circling overhead with that "we have all the time in the world" intimation. I kept walking, they kept circling, moving with me. They never descended, nor posed any threat nor cawed either at me or to each other. Silently they circled. But after a while, the stalking, though purely a formality, made me nervous, and I retraced my steps and headed back. They followed me back. But as I left the hunting ground and attained my own property, they benignly winged off in search of some more promising victim. "No hard feelings; look, this is what we do" was the impression they gave.
I don't know where you live but the silent, all-the-time-in-the-world circling makes me think of Turkey Vultures. They ride thermals really efficiently and rarely have to flap their wings, they just spin and wobble a little bit with their wings in more of a V shape than most other soaring birds. Very big
birds, black with red heads (although the heads are often hard to see in flight.) They're found almost everywhere in the Continental US, and harmless to humans (and other animals for that matter; they're scavengers). They hunt for carrion mostly by smell.

+1

Also my thought.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:07 pm

+1

Also my thought.
Well, Turkey Vulture or Black Vulture. Turkey Vultures are a bit more common, but I see a lot of both where I live. The Turkey Vulture:

And the Black Vulture:

These shots are of course what you see when they are circling above you .... the way to tell them apart if you can get a good look at the underside of their wings is that the entire trailing edge of the turkey vulture wing is grayish/whitish while the black vulture has white tips on the underside. I think the pictures show the differences pretty well. The shape is a bit different, the black vulture being more compact.

In good light closer to you, you will find the turkey vulture is actually more of a dark brown, while the black vulture ... is black. I have more closer/eye level type pictures of both if interested. The turkey vulture is also a bit larger, though no way to tell this from afar. And the head shapes/colors are different, though again, you have to be close to see that.

There is a theory that black vultures hang around turkey vultures (often circling above them) because while turkey vultures have a great sense of smell, the black vulture's sense of smell is much less acute. So if you are a black vulture, let the turkey vultures do the hard work of finding food.

I am often surprised at how numerous these large birds are even in relatively urban environments. The most common large birds I see are Canadian Geese and Turkey Vultures.

As I'm sure smectym knows, no bird is actually going to bother with a human wandering around. We are way too big to attack while alive, even for things like eagles and hawks.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

A mourning dove couple built a nest on my friend's deck. We bought a $35 camera and installed it a couple of feet from the nest. It has been fascinating watching them raise two squabs. Very different behavior than the robins I watched a couple of years ago. The parents have some kind of gland in their mouths that the squabs feed from. One parent takes the night shift and one takes the day shift. We call it "the changing of the guard" when they switch places which is also the time the squabs feed. It is quite something to see the two squabs with their beaks deep inside the beak of the returning parent.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TN_Boy:

Interesting about Turkey vs. Black Vultures. Per Cornell the BV aren't in my state but it appears they have a wide range including all over S. America.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bla ... e/overview
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TN_Boy wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:27 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:07 pm

+1

Also my thought.
Well, Turkey Vulture or Black Vulture. Turkey Vultures are a bit more common, but I see a lot of both where I live. The Turkey Vulture:

And the Black Vulture:

These shots are of course what you see when they are circling above you .... the way to tell them apart if you can get a good look at the underside of their wings is that the entire trailing edge of the turkey vulture wing is grayish/whitish while the black vulture has white tips on the underside. I think the pictures show the differences pretty well. The shape is a bit different, the black vulture being more compact.

In good light closer to you, you will find the turkey vulture is actually more of a dark brown, while the black vulture ... is black. I have more closer/eye level type pictures of both if interested. The turkey vulture is also a bit larger, though no way to tell this from afar. And the head shapes/colors are different, though again, you have to be close to see that.

There is a theory that black vultures hang around turkey vultures (often circling above them) because while turkey vultures have a great sense of smell, the black vulture's sense of smell is much less acute. So if you are a black vulture, let the turkey vultures do the hard work of finding food.

I am often surprised at how numerous these large birds are even in relatively urban environments. The most common large birds I see are Canadian Geese and Turkey Vultures.

As I'm sure smectym knows, no bird is actually going to bother with a human wandering around. We are way too big to attack while alive, even for things like eagles and hawks.
Great pics

This is so cool
So much to learn!!!

Aloha
J🌺
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

My mom is a birder and is on all kinds of animal related boards.
So we were sitting in the car by the shore and a bird swam by. I wanted to make conversation about her hobby.

ME: that’s a nice duck.

MOM: (sneering) it’s a GOOSE.

😅
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:21 pm My mom is a birder and is on all kinds of animal related boards.
So we were sitting in the car by the shore and a bird swam by. I wanted to make conversation about her hobby.

ME: that’s a nice duck.

MOM: (sneering) it’s a GOOSE.

😅
LOL. It's a fun hobby. I heard that Central Park in NYC has some avid birders. I saw a documentary once about a hawk nesting near there a long time ago.

There's something called nature-deficit disorder - i.e. people not getting enough exposure to nature and spending too much time in front of screens. I can relate sometimes. :?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_deficit_disorder

Also, some people do "forest bathing" etc. for relaxation.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

When I was a kid, I loved Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies. They always depicted the "dumb bird" as a vulture. I think his official name is "Beaky Buzzard."

However, in the real world, I'm amazed at how well the turkey vultures deal with traffic in my area. They can estimate the speed-time-distance calculation of a car careening toward them with great accuracy. It boggles my mind. You have to be a human stunt performer to dodge oncoming cars like they do.

Birds always amaze me at their intelligence.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Tubes wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:55 am Birds always amaze me at their intelligence.
A worthy read is "The Genius of Birds"

Chickadees, while maybe not the smartest birds have incredible memories. They can bury thousands of seeds and remember where they are for up to six months. Half the time I can't even remember why I just walked into a room.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:03 pm TN_Boy:

Interesting about Turkey vs. Black Vultures. Per Cornell the BV aren't in my state but it appears they have a wide range including all over S. America.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bla ... e/overview
Interesting. I had not looked at the range maps (my goto quick reference is also allaboutbirds.org) to see that the turkey vulture is a good bit more widespread in the US than the black vulture. Where I live, I've always seen both from time to time.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:05 pm What camera and lens???

Thanks!!!!!
J🌺
Thank you, none as good as your pictures (yet). All taken with Canon R5. Eagle with Tamron 150-600. The rest with RF 100-500. It's a great setup, better than I deserve.

Here is a purple martin we got at Cape May:
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

WoodSpinner wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:15 am I have been a bit fascinated with Snowy Egrets lately and had an opportunity to photograph one fishing near the coast. It was a bit of a blustery day so it took a few hours to catch just the right look of the windswept feathers and a caught fish.

WoodSpinner
Very good. It is hard to get a moment like that.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I live near Chicago. Currently, I am getting

* a lot of grackles
* the usual house sparrows.
* a good number of cardinals
* a lot of gold finches.
* a few house finches,
* a number of woodpeckers. Mostly Downy, but some Red Belly.
* a few mourning doves
* a lot of Mallard ducks
* a unusually number of wood ducks. I actually like them better than the Mallard because I don't have to hear "haha haha haha" all day.
* a few Canadian Goose

Lately an egret has decided sneeze in the pond in the back of my yard.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Yay! I saw my first hummingbird today at my feeder! I believe it is a Broad-tailed Hummingbird since that is the most common in my area.

I put my feeder up about a week ago so it took them a while to find it.

:beer

Otherwise, I've been seeing a LOT of American Goldfinches, Common Grackles and the other usual suspects.