Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by Sandtrap »

We took down the back porch kitchen window hummingbird feeder. They haven't shown up for weeks.
Morning temps in the 40's now.

Great Horned owls returning in the twilight morning. Same ones every year, through the year. They are heavy big birds and make thumping sounds even through our heavy tile roof. I don't know what they are doing. Hooting and hopping. Very cool. The primary large Great Horned Owl (named Cleo) has been on our roof for 10 years.

A mated pair of large black ravens (Jack and Jill) has been with us for 6 years. They moved from the high warehouse roof to our home where the roof is higher (3 stories). Also hang out on the upper deck railings and watch us when we are out and about. The ravens Heckle and coo and groom each other. They are big body tough birds. And, smart. During the day they are out in the far pastures turning over cow pies, looking for things to eat. (free range cattle in the immense ranch next door in the distance).

Barn swallows have all left after nesting in the stables since Spring.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Put my feeder up on Wednesday and happy to have the birds back in my yard. It probably sounds crazy to a lot of folks, but I enjoy feeding the squirrels, too. I love watching those little daredevils running thru my woods.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Anyone know why a woodpecker would bang on my window screen every couple of times per hour?
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

gavinsiu wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:03 pm Anyone know why a woodpecker would bang on my window screen every couple of times per hour?

For Northern Flickers (Cornell). Other species may have other specific behaviors.

"Like most woodpeckers, Northern Flickers drum on objects as a form of communication and territory defense. In such cases, the object is to make as loud a noise as possible, and that’s why woodpeckers sometimes drum on metal objects. One Northern Flicker in Wyoming could be heard drumming on an abandoned tractor from a half-mile away."

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Nor ... r/overview
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:12 pm
gavinsiu wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:03 pm Anyone know why a woodpecker would bang on my window screen every couple of times per hour?

For Northern Flickers (Cornell). Other species may have other specific behaviors.

"Like most woodpeckers, Northern Flickers drum on objects as a form of communication and territory defense. In such cases, the object is to make as loud a noise as possible, and that’s why woodpeckers sometimes drum on metal objects. One Northern Flicker in Wyoming could be heard drumming on an abandoned tractor from a half-mile away."

I have a metal chimney to a wood stove. The flickers pound on this at various times of the year and it resonates into the house.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:16 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:12 pm

I have a metal chimney to a wood stove. The flickers pound on this at various times of the year and it resonates into the house.
Wow. I bet that is LOUD. I always thought they "drummed" more in the spring during nesting season but it sounds like it can be year around. I usually hear them on my house in the spring (siding - no metal).
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:01 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:14 pm
f35phixer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:46 am ...This morning dove was gone....

Google didn't really give a good answer, do birds of prey eat mammals head first? I know eagle/osprey do eat fish head first......
I wouldn't think so. Perhaps it was the way the bird was grabbed.

Check the spelling, as I see "morning dove" used all the time. It should be Mourning Dove. Listen to the sound and it makes sense.
BWAHAHAHA Sorry........

this A.M. dove was gone :sharebeer
Scary story for Halloween time: A couple of years ago I found parts of a kangaroo rat in my backyard. Two pieces: the head, and the hind feet with tail attached. The body was completely gone, no signs of it. The cuts were clean so I am guessing it was a hawk or an owl that got it. I don't think a cat or raccoon would be so precise. A baby chupacabra maybe. I left it there, and the rest of it disappeared the next night.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Geese in a v-formation! Pretty neat.

Also a little bird hopping around in a tree. Maybe it was a robin.

Not really a bird watcher as you can tell.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:37 pm Geese in a v-formation! Pretty neat.

A wonderful thing to see.

Were they "honkers" or "quackers"?

AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:11 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:37 pm Geese in a v-formation! Pretty neat.

A wonderful thing to see.

Were they "honkers" or "quackers"?

Honkers.. they looked like Canada geese but there was no license plate.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:12 pm "Like most woodpeckers, Northern Flickers drum on objects as a form of communication and territory defense. In such cases, the object is to make as loud a noise as possible, and that’s why woodpeckers sometimes drum on metal objects. One Northern Flicker in Wyoming could be heard drumming on an abandoned tractor from a half-mile away."

Thanks, it appears to be a Red Belly woodpecker, but perhaps it has similar behaviors.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Great Horned Owl on your rooftops at night.
Mice or other critter innards (throwing up?) around the stable roof, warehouse roof, house roofs.

We named him/her "Cleo". Been with us off and on for 9 years.
This is a similar pic we took of another owl. but Cleo is bigger.

What a hoot.
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

Grey Partridges (aka Hungarian Partridges or “Huns”) are back, flock of about a dozen. We also had a Ruffed Grouse die in a window strike.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

26 degrees F on the back porch this morning.
Hummingbirds long long long gone.
Took down the hummer feeder until Spring. Shucks. . .

"Jack and Jill", mated pair of huge black Ravens. . . still hanging out on our upper rooftops.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Below freezing at night here as well recently and a small snow storm this past week.

I've had a couple sightings of a Townsend's Solitaire looking for berries this week. Also an American Robin hanging around, drinking a lot of water. Otherwise, most of the usual suspects e.g. Juncos, Bluejays, Goldfinches, House Finches, Doves.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

http://www.elfruler.com/?page_id=3025

First Eagle eggs laid.... Florida Captiva area...

http://www.elfruler.com/?page_id=472

Here is list of Eagle cams for the season....
lgilgi

Post by lgilgi »

Want to feed birds with left over quaker oats. Do I just throw them on the ground or do I put it on a container? If container where do I leave it?
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

lgilgi wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:13 pm Want to feed birds with left over quaker oats. Do I just throw them on the ground or do I put it on a container? If container where do I leave it?
I have personally never used oats to feed wild birds but did find this article:

https://www.wildlifeful.com/can-you-put ... ird-feeder
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:17 am http://www.elfruler.com/?page_id=3025

First Eagle eggs laid.... Florida Captiva area...

http://www.elfruler.com/?page_id=472

Here is list of Eagle cams for the season....
I watch the NE Florida nest. Last year the eggs were laid in December. Two chicks hatched. It was so much fun to watch the grow into a flying eage - all black. White heads reserved for adults.

Here is the link. https://nefleaglecam.org/

The bonded pair (samson and gabrielle) have already started to stay at the nest at times.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Northwest Indiana.

Evening Grosbeaks (4) today....two males and two females at the feeder. First time we have seen these. Had to use the birdbook to identify. Also bluebirds coming in for mealworms.

Juncos have returned.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

I went to Ridgefield NWR (southern Washington state) today and 3 days ago.
There are fairly large multiple flocks of Canada geese, snow geese and passerines.
I also saw the usual assortment of waterfowl including mallard ducks, American Coot and others.
A few great blue herons as well.
Today I also saw a bald eagle, while 3 days ago I saw a Sandhill Crane. There is a small resident population of Sandhills, but they are not easy to see.
Last but least, a few Hawks (unsure of which ones).
Also quite a few deer including one buck with the antlers (yes I know they are not birds :-)).
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:51 am Below freezing at night here as well recently and a small snow storm this past week.

I've had a couple sightings of a Townsend's Solitaire looking for berries this week. Also an American Robin hanging around, drinking a lot of water. Otherwise, most of the usual suspects e.g. Juncos, Bluejays, Goldfinches, House Finches, Doves.
Mid/Northern Arizona (1 mile high).
17 degrees on the back porch at 5:00 A.M. a couple days ago.
Same snowstorm maybe. Sleet and hail falling like styrofoam packing balls bouncing on the ground.

Flocks of Ravens playing in the sky and gathering. Maybe singles trying for a lifetime pair, now dating, dancing in the sky.

Fewer birds with the quick passing of Autumn. Small groups of Elk making their way up and down the running stream.

Hubris

Post by Hubris »

American Tree Sparrow…just one at the feeder.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

True story from suburban Miami 🌴 8-)

There is a large white rooster who lives in the bushes and trees right next to the drive-through lane of our local suburban Starbucks. He's lived there for about 5 years, and during the Covid pandemic, when we all flocked LOL to the Starbucks for some relief, the rooster was a welcome sight in an otherwise dreary pandemic.

The Starbucks employees eventually named him Jeffrey Rooster and posted a nice picture of him with his name in fancy script on the drive-through window for everyone to see and enjoy :D If we drove through and we didn't see Jeffrey pecking about, we would ask the Starbucks employee at the window and we would receive the daily report - "he was just here," or "haven't seen him yet today," or "he's probably off with some lovely hen."

So the other day, I drove through the Starbucks for my holiday Peppermint Mocha Latte :mrgreen: and I saw Jeffrey squabbling, indeed fighting, with two peacocks under the Starbucks tree :annoyed Tropical paradise! Yes peacocks are pretty but no, they are not nice. Anyway, another patron yelled at them and the peacocks flew over the fence leaving Jeffrey with his place of importance at Starbucks :D
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:10 pm True story from suburban Miami 🌴 8-)

There is a large white rooster who lives in the bushes and trees right next to the drive-through lane of our local suburban Starbucks. He's lived there for about 5 years, and during the Covid pandemic, when we all flocked LOL to the Starbucks for some relief, the rooster was a welcome sight in an otherwise dreary pandemic.

The Starbucks employees eventually named him Jeffrey Rooster and posted a nice picture of him with his name in fancy script on the drive-through window for everyone to see and enjoy :D If we drove through and we didn't see Jeffrey pecking about, we would ask the Starbucks employee at the window and we would receive the daily report - "he was just here," or "haven't seen him yet today," or "he's probably off with some lovely hen."

So the other day, I drove through the Starbucks for my holiday Peppermint Mocha Latte :mrgreen: and I saw Jeffrey squabbling, indeed fighting, with two peacocks under the Starbucks tree :annoyed Tropical paradise! Yes peacocks are pretty but no, they are not nice. Anyway, another patron yelled at them and the peacocks flew over the fence leaving Jeffrey with his place of importance at Starbucks :D
Cute story! Nice that you had Jeffrey Rooster for some amusement during the pandemic and beyond. :beer
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

TG morning drive to Hoopers Island to find Snow Buntings. Found 4 - they are not rare but unusual in this area. Two Least Sandpipers working a mud spit all to themselves. They obviously didn't get the memo.

Still a surprising lack of ducks. Few dozen Bufflehead and a handful of Black Scoters.

Counted 115 Brown Pelicans on jetty along with assortment of gulls and DC Cormorants.

One lone Common Loon in the water.

A few Bald Eagles were up - maybe a dozen. No sign of a Golden Eagle which is sometimes spotted in this area.

Overall pretty quiet.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A Hairy woodpecker showed up at my suet feeder this morning. I haven't seen one of those in a while.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Raven conferences around the stables, in the riding arena, front pastures. Some sky acrobatics in pairs....speed dating...after some ground chatter.
"Jack and Jill", a mated raven pair of 6 years, watching the action from our rooftops.
High above, making slow circles in the thermals, Tony, a large gray Hawk, looking for lunch.

j🌺
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:57 pm Raven conferences around the stables, in the riding arena, front pastures. Some sky acrobatics in pairs....speed dating...after some ground chatter.
"Jack and Jill", a mated raven pair of 6 years, watching the action from our rooftops.
High above, making slow circles in the thermals, Tony, a large gray Hawk, looking for lunch.

j🌺
I like watching hawks work. We have a Coopers that just arrived in the back a few days ago. He has been taking out Juncos regularly around our back yard.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I watched a flock of seagulls once, but they ran so far away.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:36 pm Great Horned Owl on your rooftops at night.
Mice or other critter innards (throwing up?) around the stable roof, warehouse roof, house roofs.

We named him/her "Cleo". Been with us off and on for 9 years.
This is a similar pic we took of another owl. but Cleo is bigger.

What a hoot.
What a spectacular picture, Sandtrap!
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

Saw some questions about Woodpecker behavior. This amazing special recently aired on PBS Nature. Truly one of the best they have produced, it is fascinating. May answer many of the questions!

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/about-w ... ory/27853/
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

Northern Massachusetts near Nashua, NH. After 2 families of bluebirds raised families in our bluebird boxes this summer, they were vacant for months. This week both boxes now have new (or perhaps the former tenants or their children..?) building nests. I can see them flying in and out with nesting material as I write this.

Not sure if there is a way to post a short video of the just-hatched baby bluebirds from one of the spring nests (had not seen any activity for a while and opened box to see if English Sparrows - the bane of trying to welcome bluebirds - had invaded the nest). But all the eggs had hatched and there were very noisy, hungry bluebirds waiting for mom and dad to return with breakfast so took a quick video. Would be happy to share if there is a way to do this.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

557880yvi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:04 am Saw some questions about Woodpecker behavior. This amazing special recently aired on PBS Nature. Truly one of the best they have produced, it is fascinating. May answer many of the questions!

I saw that - it was excellent! :beer
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:19 am
557880yvi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:04 am Saw some questions about Woodpecker behavior. This amazing special recently aired on PBS Nature. Truly one of the best they have produced, it is fascinating. May answer many of the questions!

I saw that - it was excellent! :beer
+1 - surprised no woody's in Australia????????????????????

Go deep into the woods to explore the lives of a unique avian family. Woodpeckers come in 239 species and live on every continent except Antarctica and Australia, playing a powerful role in every ecosystem they inhabit.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Eurasian Wigeon in Worcester County today. Rare in Maryland. I've only seen one 2 or 3 times before.

Quite a few varieties of ducks arriving in the area finally.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Two turkeys in our backyard eating ground scatter bird food.

We are in a very suburban setting. Spotted them about a week ago walking across our yard, this time they came to eat.

Ed
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

MP173 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:34 pm Two turkeys in our backyard eating ground scatter bird food.

We are in a very suburban setting. Spotted them about a week ago walking across our yard, this time they came to eat.

Ed
Safer to hang around this week.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:31 pm Eurasian Wigeon in Worcester County today. Rare in Maryland. I've only seen one 2 or 3 times before.

Eurasian Wigeon - handsome bird. It says they may come from Iceland.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eurasian_Wigeon
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:56 pm
jebmke wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:31 pm Eurasian Wigeon in Worcester County today. Rare in Maryland. I've only seen one 2 or 3 times before.

Eurasian Wigeon - handsome bird. It says they may come from Iceland.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eurasian_Wigeon
They are. This was a drake - very clear field marks and easy to distinguish from American Wigeons.

Here is a photo one of my friends took today.
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

deleted
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

walking the point and saw buzzards around something, go over and look and its a possum playing dead :confused
on way back two eagles had taken it over.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

http://www.elfruler.com/?page_id=3025

Eagle been busy last 5 days, 3 more nests have eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

[Image link fixed by admin LadyGeek]

It's wintertime and the White-Throated Sparrows are back, on schedule.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

More proof that it's wintertime ....... 3 Dark-eyed Juncos out near our feeders today.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TnGuy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:17 am Image

David
I've been getting many Juncoes, Song Sparrows and should see some White-Crowned Sparrows at some point. The Townsend's Solitaire has been hanging around for several weeks now; loves the juniper berries. Still getting lots of goldfinches, house finches, chickadees, American Robins. Saw a pair of Northern Flickers the other day. Lots of RT Hawks, Magpies and Ravens. RB Nuthatches once in a while.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:17 pm... Saw a pair of Northern Flickers the other day....

Ahhh, the Norther Flicker, it's one of those bird species that looks as if it were 'hand-painted'!

David
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Binoculars

Sometimes I see BH's asking about binoculars. Here is a new review from Cornell regarding 8 X 42's for various budgets:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/the- ... noculars/#
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TnGuy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:39 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:17 pm... Saw a pair of Northern Flickers the other day....

Ahhh, the Norther Flicker, it's one of those bird species that looks as if it were 'hand-painted'!
David
Oh, nature is so absolutely beautiful :happy
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TnGuy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:17 am Image

David
Beautiful!!!

j🌺