Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TnGuy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:02 pm Image

Had the pleasure of seeing (and hearing) a Summer Tanager last night.

David
Nice! I've never seen one of those. Only Western Tanagers.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wes ... /297084201
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

agbp wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:17 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:14 am DW took a bunch of these high quality pics yesterday on the back porch hummer feeder.
It took several weeks of trying to get the light and timing right and also the hummers cooperating. We waited for a hummer swarm.
I am always amazed at the brilliant colors that the "camera sees" that our human eye does not see on these beautiful birds.

The actual full size raw image post processed shows fine feather detail when zoomed in. But lost on the upload to the forum.
Canon 5D MK IV, Canon 400 mm. "L" lens. Manfrotto Tripod with $$$ Gimbal.
ISO somewhat high to freeze motion so some drop in resolution.
j :D
Wonderful photo, worth the wait!
+1
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

TnGuy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:02 pm Image

Had the pleasure of seeing (and hearing) a Summer Tanager last night.

David
Beautiful bird.

Thanks for the picture.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

jebmke wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:53 am aaaand, here we go; Washington Post coverage just today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... mingbirds/

Why are hummingbirds such jerks? An investigation. :P
Great article.
Thanks for the link.

Explains why once in awhile there will be one very aggressive hummer on our "8" station feeder that will sit there from dawn to dusk and drive away other hummers, even if it does'nt drink much to begin with.
Like the article states, "what a jerk".

Candor

Re: What did I hit?

Post by Candor »

guppyguy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:35 pm
I ran into this landing in Kalispell, MT earlier this week, unfortunately. Looking at the talons I my guess is a young hawk.
Yes, this is an American Kestrel, a small raptor from the falcon family. :(
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
RightGuard

Post by RightGuard »

Lots of interesting birdies!

I have 2 residents and 1 migrator in my patch. (photos are representative)

A Northern Mocking Bird has setup residence in the small stand of Palmetto Palms in the back corner of my lot. He sings a nice selection of ditties that would be suitable for an early 90's car alarm. Very industrious during nesting season.

Can sing all day..... and if necessary all night! (Buddy she's probably sleeping right now!)

Western Kingbird, ruler of the front yard. Mortal enemy of the Mockingbird. Smaller in size, but twice the fight.

Very good insect catcher. He(?) keeps my window sills free of bug carcasses. Bright yellow belly is easy to spot.

American Bitterrn. Migrates into town in the fall. Lives around close by lake. Works over the yard every other day looking for worms and such. Gets swooped on by the other two, too chilled out to care. Has the extendable neck and spear point beak like other herons. Those other birds shouldn't push their luck with this one.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Summer Tanager eating ants on the pool cover. Two hummers still around. The male has left town though. Ospreys are gone from the creek. Bald Eagle has it all to himself now. Heard a Belted Kingfisher working the creek this morning so he appears to have returned from his summer vacation.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

During a day trip to Maiden Rock Wisconsin on Lake Pepin, my friends and I saw Pelicans! They were fairly far out in the lake but you could distinguish the long bills and pouch as they paddled. We would watch them fish with tails up in the air. Lots of fun on a lvely Autumn day. No good pictures - just my iPhone SE with me.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:14 am DW took a bunch of these high quality pics yesterday on the back porch hummer feeder.
It took several weeks of trying to get the light and timing right and also the hummers cooperating. We waited for a hummer swarm.
I am always amazed at the brilliant colors that the "camera sees" that our human eye does not see on these beautiful birds.

The actual full size raw image post processed shows fine feather detail when zoomed in. But lost on the upload to the forum.
Oh wow! Gorgeous photo - and agree how interesting it is that the camera sees things our human eye does not. Cameras really capture reality - although I guess, philosophically speaking, reality is only what we see and not what "really is." :confused
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

I saw two American Bitterns today on my morning walk around a lake. I've never seen one before today.

RightGuard's post saved me from looking up what I saw.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:57 pm

Oh wow! Gorgeous photo - and agree how interesting it is that the camera sees things our human eye does not. Cameras really capture reality - although I guess, philosophically speaking, reality is only what we see and not what "really is." :confused
So true!

There are no hummingbirds per se in Hawaii, so, after relocating, for the past 10 years, to Northern Arizona, Our hummingbird feeder, just outside my kitchen window, attracts swarms of hummingbirds.
They are fascinating, like swarms of goofy bumblebees. We refill the large multi station feeder 2x/day in the busy seasons.

To "my eyes", I see feathers of dull green, dull sorta orange, and dull gray colors, except perhaps a little more at sunset with directional light.
But. . . a full frame camera with a good size flash mounted . . and good post processing. . yields much of the colors that the hummingbirds see when they look at each other.

I read that they also see wavelengths of color/light that we don't see.
So, I wonder how we would be able to see that.
I guess not. We're only human. :shock:

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

RightGuard wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:49 pm Lots of interesting birdies!

I have 2 residents and 1 migrator in my patch. (photos are representative)

A Northern Mocking Bird has setup residence in the small stand of Palmetto Palms in the back corner of my lot. He sings a nice selection of ditties that would be suitable for an early 90's car alarm. Very industrious during nesting season.

Can sing all day..... and if necessary all night! (Buddy she's probably sleeping right now!)

Western Kingbird, ruler of the front yard. Mortal enemy of the Mockingbird. Smaller in size, but twice the fight.

Very good insect catcher. He(?) keeps my window sills free of bug carcasses. Bright yellow belly is easy to spot.

American Bitterrn. Migrates into town in the fall. Lives around close by lake. Works over the yard every other day looking for worms and such. Gets swooped on by the other two, too chilled out to care. Has the extendable neck and spear point beak like other herons. Those other birds shouldn't push their luck with this one.
Beautiful birds.
Thanks for the pictures.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:24 am https://www.elfruler.com/

just found this link, LOTS of eagle cams, top right link to eagle cams, all over country.

Also lots of great info on how eagles grow !!!!
It's 2022 -2023 Season.

Sadly looks like some cams got knocked out by Ian....
over on right side Bald Eagle nest cams and then list of streaming cams....
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Fledgling cardinal being fed by mom. Seems late.
Forsters Terns feeding in the creek; must be good eats being driven up by NE wind.
Hummer still hanging in there - probably waiting for favorable winds
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Fleets of swallows have come and gone. Darting in and out of our buildings like fighter jets. What flyers they are.

Only a few hummers on the kitchen window feeder every few days as morning temperatures drop below 50.
(shucks. . love hummers).

Baby Wren has grown up and returned to the original nest in our front porch rafters. Not sure why.
Mrs Wren has been gone for a long time. Not sure if nesting season is over for her. She lays 2-3 eggs 2-3x/year and raises them and leaves.

Jack and Jill. . .a mated pair of very large black ravens appear on our rooftops less and less as the weather cools down. They've been with us for 4 years.

Cleo, the large horned owl that's been with us for 9 years is back more often. Hooting on our roof into the night.

Huge ciccadas. . hopppers like dark or bright green locusts. .cover the land around us. . not sure how long they will last as the weather cools.
What a mess on the car front grills. Yuck!

mango bread. :D
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

The coolest bird experience I’ve had recently was a couple weeks ago when I was walking my dog after sunset. Out of nowhere, a great-horned owl flew about 15 feet over my head as it was hunting for dinner. It was huge and on a mission. Much larger with the wings spread. My heart was racing because I couldn’t figure out what it was for a couple of seconds. That was really cool.

Others (sight or ear):

Hummingbirds (Broad-tailed) – only a few now; most have migrated
Bushtits
Blue Jays
Scrub Jays
Spotted Towhees
Red-breasted Nuthatches
Red-tailed Hawks
Chickadees
American Goldfinches
House Finches
Ravens
Magpies
American Pelican
Canada Geese

The swallows and white-throated swifts have also migrated.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just saw my first titmouse of the season on my backyard feeder.
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:15 pm The coolest bird experience I’ve had recently was a couple weeks ago when I was walking my dog after sunset. Out of nowhere, a great-horned owl flew about 15 feet over my head as it was hunting for dinner. It was huge and on a mission. Much larger with the wings spread. My heart was racing because I couldn’t figure out what it was for a couple of seconds. That was really cool.
Yes, it is very cool. I saw one in the daylight several years ago. He must have been caught by surprise and took off to another tree.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Ocean City and Assateague today.

First Brown Creepers
Lingering migrants - Cape May warbler, Black-throated Green warbler, Chat
No ducks arriving yet; still too early.
A couple of small flights if Canada Geese - 250 or less per flight.

Hoping to get an oddball sea bird blown in by the remnants of the hurricane but no luck.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:45 pm I just saw my first titmouse of the season on my backyard feeder.
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:15 pm The coolest bird experience I’ve had recently was a couple weeks ago when I was walking my dog after sunset. Out of nowhere, a great-horned owl flew about 15 feet over my head as it was hunting for dinner. It was huge and on a mission. Much larger with the wings spread. My heart was racing because I couldn’t figure out what it was for a couple of seconds. That was really cool.
Yes, it is very cool. I saw one in the daylight several years ago. He must have been caught by surprise and took off to another tree.
Nice! I was amazed at how quiet it was which I know helps with their hunting (stealth)!

I saw my first Dark-eyed Junco the other day. They come down from higher elevations during the winter. Getting many goldfinches but no hummers this week.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:15 pm The coolest bird experience I’ve had recently ...
Nice!

For some reason I was nominated to lead a nature hike at the local county Nature Preserve. So I showed up, got my group together and off we went to the most remote creek in the preserve. We get there and are milling about when a bald eagle comes flying up the creek at tree-top level right on cue. People were so stunned, nobody took a photo even though they had their cell phones in their hands. :)

Back at the parking lot, the rangers told me they had never ever seen a bald eagle in the preserve.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

livesoft wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:56 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:15 pm The coolest bird experience I’ve had recently ...
Nice!

For some reason I was nominated to lead a nature hike at the local county Nature Preserve. So I showed up, got my group together and off we went to the most remote creek in the preserve. We get there and are milling about when a bald eagle comes flying up the creek at tree-top level right on cue. People were so stunned, nobody took a photo even though they had their cell phones in their hands. :)

Back at the parking lot, the rangers told me they had never ever seen a bald eagle in the preserve.
Awesome! Great timing! :beer
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:50 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:45 pm I just saw my first titmouse of the season on my backyard feeder.
Nice! I was amazed at how quiet it was which I know helps with their hunting (stealth)!

I saw my first Dark-eyed Junco the other day. They come down from higher elevations during the winter. Getting many goldfinches but no hummers this week.
There was a documentary on Owls - I think on PBS -- and they went into a lot of detail on how owls fly such that they make almost no sound. They also explained how some of the large owls like Barn Owl have a huge amount of their head space occupied by their eyes and related circuitry. It may be available on PBS site or even Youtube now. Contrast this with Northern Cardinals which, pound for pound are among the loudest flappers in the bird kingdom; it is a good thing they are seed eaters as they would be unable to sneak up on anyone.

I think our hummers fled the scene; I suspect the strong northerly wind was too good to pass up for a free ride south.

No Juncos yet; won't be long. Bird seed is very expensive this year so not looking forward to them. A few sparrows seem to be trickling into the area. White-throats and Swamp Sparrows today.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:01 pm

There was a documentary on Owls - I think on PBS -- and they went into a lot of detail on how owls fly such that they make almost no sound. They also explained how some of the large owls like Barn Owl have a huge amount of their head space occupied by their eyes and related circuitry. It may be available on PBS site or even Youtube now. Contrast this with Northern Cardinals which, pound for pound are among the loudest flappers in the bird kingdom; it is a good thing they are seed eaters as they would be unable to sneak up on anyone.

I think our hummers fled the scene; I suspect the strong northerly wind was too good to pass up for a free ride south.

No Juncos yet; won't be long. Bird seed is very expensive this year so not looking forward to them. A few sparrows seem to be trickling into the area. White-throats and Swamp Sparrows today.
Thanks! Will have to look for the PBS, etc. owl episode. I love Barn Owls. I've never seen one live but there are a few cams out there that are fun to watch sometimes.

Per Audubon advice, I wait until spring to clean up my perennial garden so birds can eat seeds and dead insects, etc. during the winter. Doesn't look great but I'd rather supplement feeding the birds that way.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Nice!

That's a great story!
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

jebmke wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:01 pm

There was a documentary on Owls - I think on PBS -- and they went into a lot of detail on how owls fly such that they make almost no sound. They also explained how some of the large owls like Barn Owl have a huge amount of their head space occupied by their eyes and related circuitry. It may be available on PBS site or even Youtube now. Contrast this with Northern Cardinals which, pound for pound are among the loudest flappers in the bird kingdom; it is a good thing they are seed eaters as they would be unable to sneak up on anyone. ...
I've been reading a new and fascinating book on the amazing and endless ways animals perceive their worlds and how they have evolved to do it. Owls are included, of course, beginning with Chapter 8, "All Ears." The book is An Immense World: How Animal Senses Reveal the Hidden Realms Around Us, by Ed Yong, who adds this from William Blake:
How do you know
but ev'ry Bird
that cuts the airy way,
Is an immense world
of delight,
clos'd by your senses five?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

Saw a bald eagle flying low overhead when driving along a country road. Also have had several visits from the pileated woodpecker who counts my backyard as his territory (first time I've spotted him/her this year). Even when s/he is not in sight, I can hear either the calls or the drumming on nearby trees. Finally, drove slowly by a flock of wild turkeys on my way to a trailhead in the woods.

Also, I've had several return visits from the bluebird family who nested in my backyard box. Mom, Pop and the kids. They perched on and flew in and out of the box, hunted from nearby low tree branches, and almost looked like they were playing with each other (short circular flights, wing flapping). Each visit lasted 10-15 minutes. I haven't witnessed this before and am unsure of its behavioral significance. Nostalgic visit to the ol' homestead? :D
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Nice!

For some reason I was nominated to lead a nature hike at the local county Nature Preserve. So I showed up, got my group together and off we went to the most remote creek in the preserve. We get there and are milling about when a bald eagle comes flying up the creek at tree-top level right on cue. People were so stunned, nobody took a photo even though they had their cell phones in their hands. :). ...
I think I've shared that "stunned" feeling many years ago, '70s I recall, when camping in northern Wisconsin with several friends. While hiking, we heard an unusual noise, looked up and were, yes, stunned first at the size of the bird flying alone and when it got a bit lower recognized it as a bald eagle. Then it disappeared beyond the dense treetops and that was the last we saw of it. Nobody said anything for about a minute and then began talking excitedly about it being the first bald eagle we'd ever seen. The bird is just striking, takes your breath away, and the fleeting image stays with you.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

For those who enjoy nature documentaries, I recommend one called "Winged Migration".

It covers the migratory patterns of birds, shot over the course of three years on all seven continents.

One of the most stunning movies I've ever seen; I even bought the DVD. IMDb 7.9 rating.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301727/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

On Amazon Prime (fee).

Part of the NY Times review in 2003:

"The breathtaking cinematography of migrating birds in Jacques Perrin's mystical documentary ''Winged Migration'' transports you to an exalted realm where nature operates under its own inviolable laws and humanity is portrayed as a crude, destructive interloper in the natural scheme of things."
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Fallible wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:08 pm I think I've shared that "stunned" feeling many years ago, '70s I recall, ....
... it being the first bald eagle we'd ever seen. The bird is just striking, takes your breath away, and the fleeting image stays with you.
Thanks for sharing! Made me smile.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

livesoft wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:07 am
Fallible wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:08 pm I think I've shared that "stunned" feeling many years ago, '70s I recall, ....
... it being the first bald eagle we'd ever seen. The bird is just striking, takes your breath away, and the fleeting image stays with you.
You also mentioned that your group had cell phones but nobody took photos. Our group had no cells, of course, but the only one who had a camera never thought to use it when the eagle flew over, something we didn't even realize until later. That's another testament to "stunned." :shock:
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Swoop! The Philadelphia Eagle.

FLY EAGLES FLY!!!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:37 pm For those who enjoy nature documentaries, I recommend one called "Winged Migration".

It covers the migratory patterns of birds, shot over the course of three years on all seven continents.

One of the most stunning movies I've ever seen; I even bought the DVD. IMDb 7.9 rating.

On Amazon Prime (fee).

"The breathtaking cinematography of migrating birds in Jacques Perrin's mystical documentary ''Winged Migration'' transports you to an exalted realm where nature operates under its own inviolable laws and humanity is portrayed as a crude, destructive interloper in the natural scheme of things."
Watched the trailer, already have Prime, set to watch it tonight. Thanks for posting!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

speaking of migration. I was out in the yard earlier this week and heard an Eagle - which isn't unusual as they nest near me. I looked out where I normally see them over the creek but nothing. Then I looked straight up and I saw a kettle of Broadwing Hawks way up. Probably 20-30 of them with a lone Eagle circling among them. The whole kettle was drifting south in a circle that just kept drifting and drifting. First time I have seen them migrate over our house like that. I should look straight up more often.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Fallible wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:22 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:37 pm For those who enjoy nature documentaries, I recommend one called "Winged Migration".

On Amazon Prime (fee).

Watched the trailer, already have Prime, set to watch it tonight. Thanks for posting!
Hope you enjoy it! :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

livesoft wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:07 am
I also can still feel that "stunned feeling" I had in the 1980's when I saw my first bald eagle in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. We were on a ranger-lead hike through the open areas of the park when he pointed out the eagle soaring overhead. Utterly magnificent. And how could you miss it as a bald eagle - from underneath the white tail is like a beacon.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

tooluser wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:41 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:35 am I saw my first Say's Phoebe today. :happy
I have had one near me in Los Angeles for about a week now. First one I had ever seen too. (I assume it's the same one this whole time...)
We have black phoebes year-round, but apparently the Say's only overwinters around here. A very different call than the black ones.
My yard must have good bugs to eat.
It or some bird just like it has been coming back regularly. I saw it today for the first time since this past Spring.
There were also two different hawks in the neighborhood today. I didn't see either one but they were calling loudly to scare up some breakfast.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

jebmke wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:41 pm speaking of migration. I was out in the yard earlier this week and heard an Eagle - which isn't unusual as they nest near me. I looked out where I normally see them over the creek but nothing. Then I looked straight up and I saw a kettle of Broadwing Hawks way up. Probably 20-30 of them with a lone Eagle circling among them. The whole kettle was drifting south in a circle that just kept drifting and drifting. First time I have seen them migrate over our house like that. I should look straight up more often.
WOW JEB, Almost the same here in PAX River. Walked down to creek to talk to eagles and saw the two circling around, looked up MUCH higher and there were white birds (Gulls?) in big flock circling around way up high ~500 -1000 feet? Didn't run back up for my Binocks ;-((( Looked at a Broadwing picture and don't think that was them, much whiter....

Anyway they're gone....
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

f35phixer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:12 am
jebmke wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:41 pm speaking of migration. I was out in the yard earlier this week and heard an Eagle - which isn't unusual as they nest near me. I looked out where I normally see them over the creek but nothing. Then I looked straight up and I saw a kettle of Broadwing Hawks way up. Probably 20-30 of them with a lone Eagle circling among them. The whole kettle was drifting south in a circle that just kept drifting and drifting. First time I have seen them migrate over our house like that. I should look straight up more often.
WOW JEB, Almost the same here in PAX River. Walked down to creek to talk to eagles and saw the two circling around, looked up MUCH higher and there were white birds (Gulls?) in big flock circling around way up high ~500 -1000 feet? Didn't run back up for my Binocks ;-((( Looked at a Broadwing picture and don't think that was them, much whiter....

Anyway they're gone....
Laughing gulls maybe - they migrate out of here. Some of the counts can be amazing this time of year. We had about 500 BlueJays fly over us when we were on Assateague last Thursday.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

went down to dock and there they were again, this time ran back for binocks and that might be them, white and had black tips.....

eagles were soaring too.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

f35phixer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:47 pm went down to dock and there they were again, this time ran back for binocks and that might be them, white and had black tips.....

eagles were soaring too.
sounds like laughers, yes

Large flight of Blue Jays today - 500+ A lot of woodpeckers as well - ~150-200 Red Bellied WPs and 50-75 Flickers. Wind out of the south so not a lot of raptors. A handful of Merlins and Sharpies trying to pick off little tweety-birds in the air.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:08 pm
f35phixer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:47 pm went down to dock and there they were again, this time ran back for binocks and that might be them, white and had black tips.....

eagles were soaring too.
sounds like laughers, yes

Large flight of Blue Jays today - 500+ A lot of woodpeckers as well - ~150-200 Red Bellied WPs and 50-75 Flickers. Wind out of the south so not a lot of raptors. A handful of Merlins and Sharpies trying to pick off little tweety-birds in the air.
Wow! Huge numbers. I listened to an Audubon presentation (SLC and Rockies) last week where they discussed bird migration, lights out programs, etc. and mentioned this cool website for bird migration mapping that some of you may have seen before. Not sure if it's been mentioned before.

They said that raptors migrate during the day. Other species at night.

https://birdcast.info/migration-tools/l ... tion-maps/
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Owl lovers:

Here is a cool Florida Barn Owl nesting cam with a couple eggs that just hatched recently. The mate comes and drops food (rodents etc.) off and on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1QWE0eQDVI
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

A dove with no head !!! So other day walking around yard and see feathers on ground and then spot dove with no head. This morning dove was gone.
Have bird feeders and dove are always there, the other day a hawk flew into tree and was watching and looked closer and he had a dove in talons. Crows harassing it and it took off.

Go back couple weeks and there was hawk on ground with squirrel, he final left , feed up with crows pestering him !!! Went over and looked and it also was headless.

Google didn't really give a good answer, do birds of prey eat mammals head first? I know eagle/osprey do eat fish head first......
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's official. I just put out my suet feeder for the season. I was "gently" reminded of this when a male red-belly woodpecker was hanging off my seed feeder.

Last night's low was 33 degrees and the frost watches were up.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Osprey today near the Bay Bridge. Late but not highly unusual this time of year; first year birds often leave late. Myrtles every where you turn. Ruby Crowned Kinglets as well.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:46 am ...This morning dove was gone....

Google didn't really give a good answer, do birds of prey eat mammals head first? I know eagle/osprey do eat fish head first......
I wouldn't think so. Perhaps it was the way the bird was grabbed.

Check the spelling, as I see "morning dove" used all the time. It should be Mourning Dove. Listen to the sound and it makes sense.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:14 pm
f35phixer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:46 am ...This morning dove was gone....

I wouldn't think so. Perhaps it was the way the bird was grabbed.

Check the spelling, as I see "morning dove" used all the time. It should be Mourning Dove. Listen to the sound and it makes sense.
BWAHAHAHA Sorry........

this A.M. dove was gone :sharebeer
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

jebmke wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:11 pm Osprey today near the Bay Bridge. Late but not highly unusual this time of year; first year birds often leave late. Myrtles every where you turn. Ruby Crowned Kinglets as well.
Still have some Osprey here is Solomons.....
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:02 pm
jebmke wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:11 pm Osprey today near the Bay Bridge. Late but not highly unusual this time of year; first year birds often leave late. Myrtles every where you turn. Ruby Crowned Kinglets as well.
Still have some Osprey here is Solomons.....
yeah; saw one near me earlier in the week. Stuff seems to be hanging around a bit this year but this cold front should inspire them. Still no sign of Juncos around me. A few white-throated sparrows; most of the sparrow hoards start coming in next month.

Heard a large flight of migratory geese flying over last evening. The bigger flocks are starting to get organized. Very few ducks yet.
cubs1999

Post by cubs1999 »

About two weeks ago, I saw a lone snow goose with a bunch of Canada geese. At first I thought it was a duck, but I had taken a pic and it looked like a snow goose. I did some searching and I guess it's not unusual for this to happen but I had never seen this before.

I went the next day and it was gone so assume that flock of one snow goose and the rest Canada geese were just passing through.