Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
homebuyer6426

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Yesterday, I got a blue jay to land on my hand, shoulder and head for a few minutes. It was making a variety of sounds like it wanted to communicate with me. That was cool.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:28 am Snowy Egret and juvenile Little Blue Heron feeding in the mudflats behind the house. Green legs of LBH distinctive.
Cool. Had to look up LBH - they don't live in my area. Interesting to see the juveniles are all white.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Little_Blue_Heron/
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:32 am Yesterday, I got a blue jay to land on my hand, shoulder and head for a few minutes. It was making a variety of sounds like it wanted to communicate with me. That was cool.
Cool!
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:51 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:44 am ^^^ Likewise.

Last week, I removed my suet feeders for the summer. Does that stop the woodpeckers? Nope.

They simply hang off the tube seed feeders and chow down. So far, I've had visits from Downie and Red Belly woodpeckers.
I noticed the WPs persisting in June (I stopped all feeders except HB feeder then). Usually they abandon seed and head for their favorite dead/dying tree to take insects but this year seems different.
Just returned from a few days at Lake Tahoe with our kids and grands. The house we rented was owned by a woodpecker. Hearing the hammering, I went out and looked. Our bedroom wall had 7 or 8 scars.

This rented house was stained dark brown. 50 years ago when our family cabin was built, it to was brown and attracted WP's. After re-painting to a light green the WP's went elsewhere. About 15 years ago, a new house was built across the street, stained dark brown, and now has at least a dozen tin patches visible.
SethJane42

Post by SethJane42 »

I just whacked my head on the counter getting up. I'm seeing grouse.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:32 am Yesterday, I got a blue jay to land on my hand, shoulder and head for a few minutes. It was making a variety of sounds like it wanted to communicate with me. That was cool.
Maybe it was trying to call in the attack squad and communicating coordinates for the attack? :P
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Tubes wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:56 am
Maybe it was trying to call in the attack squad and communicating coordinates for the attack? :P
They definitely like to attack the dogfood bowl :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Blue jays are the forest sentries. Whenever a threat approaches, they will follow the threat and announce it's presence to warn others. If anyone has gone hiking, notice that they start calling out as soon as you're spotted. They'll follow you for a while until you're no longer a threat.

He's reporting down the chain of command - except that he's on a higher perch and you're the ground troops. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:35 pm Blue jays are the forest sentries. Whenever a threat approaches, they will follow the threat and announce it's presence to warn others. If anyone has gone hiking, notice that they start calling out as soon as you're spotted. They'll follow you for a while until you're no longer a threat.

He's reporting down the chain of command - except that he's on a higher perch and you're the ground troops. :)
I didn't know that! I also learned that unlike most birds, the male and female blue jays are hard to tell apart.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:35 pm Blue jays are the forest sentries. Whenever a threat approaches, they will follow the threat and announce it's presence to warn others. If anyone has gone hiking, notice that they start calling out as soon as you're spotted. They'll follow you for a while until you're no longer a threat.

So you are telling me that the joke I was making has some truth to it? Wow, didn't know that.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Tubes wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:39 pm

So you are telling me that the joke I was making has some truth to it? Wow, didn't know that.
Yep, when the Blue Jays sound off we look for something else interesting. Often an owl or hawk but a large snake will set them off.

There are a number of alarm birds especially in mixed flocks. Chickadees often are the first layer and once they sound off, the others know to raise their attention if they are feeding unless they want to be caught off guard.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Every year I watch - and HEAR - woodpeckers poke holes in an overhang off my kitchen. I've never been able to move fast enough to get a good photo or video of them from my porch, so today I was delighted to see this article in the NYT that includes an amazing video and also the result of research into all that pecking on the birds' heads and brains.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/14/scie ... shock.html
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

The emerald ash borer burrowing into the trees in my area definitely makes woodpeckers common here as well. I think about half the trees in our woods died. Maybe there will be a woodpecker famine after they have exhausted their food.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Fallible wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:33 pm Every year I watch - and HEAR - woodpeckers poke holes in an overhang off my kitchen. I've never been able to move fast enough to get a good photo or video of them from my porch, so today I was delighted to see this article in the NYT that includes an amazing video and also the result of research into all that pecking on the birds' heads and brains.

LOL. I just heard a similar story on NPR today:

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/14/11105813 ... peck-study
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I saw a flock of about 8 American White Pelicans today. :happy

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ame ... Pelican/id
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:59 pm
Fallible wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:33 pm Every year I watch - and HEAR - woodpeckers poke holes in an overhang off my kitchen. I've never been able to move fast enough to get a good photo or video of them from my porch, so today I was delighted to see this article in the NYT that includes an amazing video and also the result of research into all that pecking on the birds' heads and brains.

LOL. I just heard a similar story on NPR today:

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/14/11105813 ... peck-study
Thanks, I just read the NPR story and it adds good detail. I'm not so sure about the last line though, which I doubt was in the research and meant only in jest:
A woodpecker's brain is about 700 times smaller than a human brain. "So that is why even the hardest hits we observed are not expected to cause any concussion," Van Wassenbergh says.

Or even a headache.
I mean, how do we know woodpeckers don't get headaches? :)
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

fledgling Osprey are still in nest ,Orioles, Humming birds ,Piping plovers at beach
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

I heard a strange bird song this morning from a tree by our deck. I went out with my binoculars and saw a "different" bird but couldn't affirm that it was the bird with the song. I then went to my iPhone Merlin Bird app and was able to identify the song as a Gray Catbird.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Goldfinches just showed up at my bird feeder. Finally! I haven't seen these guys in over a year. Maybe two. :happy
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:12 pm Goldfinches just showed up at my bird feeder. Finally! I haven't seen these guys in over a year. Maybe two. :happy
Nice! I've been getting a bunch this summer at the nyger feeder. :beer
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:12 pm Goldfinches just showed up at my bird feeder. Finally! I haven't seen these guys in over a year. Maybe two. :happy
Haven't resumed feeding yet; we have a lot of natural food around. I see the GFs when I go for bird walks. The wild thistle (an invasive around here) will ripen off pretty soon so they will be everywhere you go.

This year has been a bit weird; seeing things around the house we don't normally see lately and missing some we normally see.

A gang of waders showed up the other day. About a dozen - mix of Great Egret, Great Blue Heron and immature Little Blue Egrets - with a Green Heron skulking around in and out of the marsh.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
agbp

Post by agbp »

We were excited to see a beautiful red summer tanager visit our feeder this week. He may be the first one I've ever seen well enough to identify. I've previously seen a female.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Hummingbirds on the feeder, goldfinches on the cone flowers and black-eyed susans, cardinals dining on the tomatoes :annoyed, occasional bald eagle, cooper hawks, bluebirds and too many mockingbirds.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:56 am I'll try a picture.

Barred Owl. He flew from the shed to the garage then down to grab some animal as food. Tore it apart and ate it. This was right at dusk after the picture.

Wow!
What a cool fellow!!

Thanks for posting the picture.
Love owls. . . they're a "hoot".
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

pomomojo wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:22 pm I finally had time to search for Northeast migrants. I found mostly local birds who spend their spring and summers in NJ.

As mentioned above, the wood thrush is a favorite for their melodic tune. I heard at least three or four this morning.

I started birdwatching with my wife around 3-4 years ago. For most bird watchers, migratory warblers are like the playoffs in a major sports league--it's exciting, the entire affair lasts under a month, and you are bound to be disappointed ("just missed the perfect photo or species"). I began with common species--Yellowthroat, Yellow Warbler, and Yellow Rumped, and have gradually sought out targeted species. Kudos to NJ Audubon members who helped me learn specific habitats and even birds. Here are some of my recent finds:

Ovenbird

Worm Eating Warbler

Prairie Warbler

...and I had the pleasure of watching two pairs of Rose Breasted Grosbeaks

wonderful pictures

what kind of camera and lense are you using?

thanks
j🌴
Allixi

Post by Allixi »

The usual suspects:

1x red headed woodpecker, downy woodpecker
1x carolina wren, white-breasted nuthatch
2x brown thrashers
2x common grackle
2x carolina chickadees
3x bluebirds
3x northern flickers (on the ground, not at the feeder)
4x mourning doves
5x blue jay
Many cardinals
Many sparrows and finches

Interestingly, haven’t seen a cowbird or starling since I switched to a mix of peanuts and sunflower seeds. Unfortunately the tufted titmice aren’t around as often, either.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

My yard abounds with flowers and other sweet hummingbird and pollinator habitat.

Lots of them flourish here, and one nests on my wind chime each spring.

This week, the hummingbirds started hanging out in the onion patch, darting among the tall green stalks. No flowers, no nectar, no bugs.

Weird?
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Flobes wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 pm My yard abounds with flowers and other sweet hummingbird and pollinator habitat.

This week, the hummingbirds started hanging out in the onion patch, darting among the tall green stalks. No flowers, no nectar, no bugs.

Weird?
Maybe gnats or other little bitty bugs you can't see? Hummers do hunt for bugs, it's where they get their protein I believe. Or maybe they're just playing. :D
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

clip651 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:26 pm
Flobes wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 pm My yard abounds with flowers and other sweet hummingbird and pollinator habitat.

Weird?
Maybe gnats or other little bitty bugs you can't see? Hummers do hunt for bugs, it's where they get their protein I believe. Or maybe they're just playing. :D
Could be "no see ums" which are even smaller than gnats. I would presume an onion patch has moist soil, and no see ums love moist soil.

Our hummers are now in fatten up mode. The fights are on, and guzzling is in full force when one can find peace at the feeder. It is great to watch, and hear! The fights are amazingly noisy sometimes with all the chatter going on.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

clip651 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:26 pm

Weird?
We only saw this behavior with one hummingbird over a period of 1 week.

Hummingbird feeder had ants all over it. Usually I keep up on isolating the top and bottom bracket holders with ant/bait but recent rains have washed it away.

There was one hummingbird that spent all day flicking his tongue and beak all over the feeder, top, around bottom, seams, etc, but not drinking from the flower hole. It took only the mention of this thread that they also eat tiny crawling bug things for us to realize that the hummer was eating all the ants on the feeder.
This was the first time in 10 years that we've ever seen a hummer do this.

Has anyone else seen this strange behavior on the hummingbird feeders?
Or hummers eating things other than flower nectar?

(online pic)
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Hummers definitely eat bugs in addition to nectar. I don't have ants on my feeder so I haven't seen it there. Amazingly, I've seen a hummer on one side and wasp on the other co-existing in peace.

I do see the hummers flitting about in my wildflower patch. Sometimes they stop for a drink from a trumpet shaped flower, other times it appears they are catching something in-flight, probably the "no-see-ums" that are plaguing my area this year.

It is party time for them right now. They are fattening up in preparation for the migration. They are hungry and will eat things on the margin of their diet we may not see at other times of the year.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Hummingbirds and insects:

From Cornell regarding Broad-tailed Hummingbirds (one common species in my area):

"Broad-tailed Hummingbirds drink nectar from flowers, especially species such as larkspur, red columbine, indian paintbrush, sage, and scarlet gilia as well as sugar water from feeders. During spring migration, they also feed on flowers that are not typically used by other hummingbirds, including pussy willow, currant, and glacier lily. Nectar is a low-protein food, so they also eat small insects, especially nesting females, and feed insects to their nestlings. They glean insects from leaves, snatch them from midair, or pick them out of spiderwebs. Sometimes they use sap as a nectar substitute, visiting sapwells excavated by Red-naped Sapsuckers."

I often see hummingbirds in the late summer catching insects midair in the morning. I've also been planting more native perennials in my yard to give them nectar sources in addition to the feeders (which a black bear knocked down a couple weeks ago :shock:) .

I didn't know they would also eat SAP from trees though.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bro ... story#food
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Four Upland Sandpipers today at a regional airport. They are pretty regular there this time of year but this is the most we have reported there. Not sure why but Upland Sandpipers seem to favor airports. They regularly report them at PAX NAS on the western shore.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

About 30 grackles swooped in and chowed down on my feeders. I haven't seen these guys in a while.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:48 pm About 30 grackles swooped in and chowed down on my feeders. I haven't seen these guys in a while.
Aren't you lucky; we've had them for a while and one reason why we have not been feeding through the summer. Spotted a flock of about 2,000-3,000 Brown-headed Cowbirds while looking for shore birds today. Yet another junk bird; not as bad as Starlings but close.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:13 am … Or hummers eating things other than flower nectar? …
Yes, usually for a short period of time (week or two) in spring/summer. The hummingbird flies slowly along my patio stonewalls methodically checking any gaps for bugs. I have read they feed protein (bugs) to their young. Completely unbothered by me sitting nearby. I enjoy the up close view. :happy
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:53 am Hummingbirds and insects:

From Cornell regarding Broad-tailed Hummingbirds (one common species in my area):

"Broad-tailed Hummingbirds drink nectar from flowers, especially species such as larkspur, red columbine, indian paintbrush, sage, and scarlet gilia as well as sugar water from feeders. During spring migration, they also feed on flowers that are not typically used by other hummingbirds, including pussy willow, currant, and glacier lily. Nectar is a low-protein food, so they also eat small insects, especially nesting females, and feed insects to their nestlings. They glean insects from leaves, snatch them from midair, or pick them out of spiderwebs. Sometimes they use sap as a nectar substitute, visiting sapwells excavated by Red-naped Sapsuckers."

I often see hummingbirds in the late summer catching insects midair in the morning. I've also been planting more native perennials in my yard to give them nectar sources in addition to the feeders (which a black bear knocked down a couple weeks ago :shock:) .

i didn’t know this

great stuff
thanks!
j🌴

love hummers🌴🌴
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:04 pm

i didn’t know this

great stuff
thanks!
j🌴

love hummers🌴🌴
If you want to learn more about hummers (or just read or listen to a fun book), the book Fastest Things on Wings: Rescuing Hummingbirds in Hollywood by Terry Masear gives some interesting insights. Written by a wildlife rehabber that works with hummers, there are lots of interesting stories about different hummer species and individuals she's worked with. I found it a neat view into the world of hummingbirds.

cj
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

clip651 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:09 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:04 pm

i didn’t know this

great stuff
thanks!
j🌴

love hummers🌴🌴
If you want to learn more about hummers (or just read or listen to a fun book), the book Fastest Things on Wings: Rescuing Hummingbirds in Hollywood by Terry Masear gives some interesting insights. Written by a wildlife rehabber that works with hummers, there are lots of interesting stories about different hummer species and individuals she's worked with. I found it a neat view into the world of hummingbirds.

cj
huge thanks!
j🌴
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

I was out walking my dog when a bald eagle flew over then landed on the roof of a home I was passing by. Had never seen one so relatively close-up before. Very majestic and the colors were stunning.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Hummers on the back porch feeder.

DW took this shot this morning.
Canon 5D MkIV, fill flash, raw, Canon 400mm L Zoom lens.
Actual image full size resolution is sharp down to the feather textures and eyes.

dis laimer: any and all past or future photos are posted to share appreciation for the content with no nonexistent business or commercial concerns as imagined or perceived by viewers and bystanders…and so forth.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel91

Post by tarheel91 »

Omg, how did I miss this thread?

There's so much beauty in my own backyard.
tarheel91

Post by tarheel91 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:30 pm Hummers on the back porch feeder.

Actual image full size resolution is sharp down to the feather textures and eyes.
Such beautiful and remarkable picture.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Great picture!

It would never happen at my feeders. We have 3 or 4 birds who visit. One is clearly the Alpha and his current lot in life is to not let any other bird enjoy a drink. Sometimes he just hovers over my deck between two feeders, acting as a sentry guard.

Glad I have the wildflowers out front. The abused birds seem to retreat there to get some sustenance.

Any way it happens, it is still fun to watch.

Here in the East, we mostly have the Ruby Hummingbird and they are known for this behavior. The Western species tend to swarm and "cooperate." I'd love to see that sometime.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"Goldfinches just showed up at my bird feeder. Finally!"

Probably because they have been eating us out of house and home all summer. I've never seen anything quite like it. We are in the Richmond VA area near the tidal James River.

On hummingbirds - we have a feeder on one front window and one on a back window and the alpha bird tries to claim both, but can't quite manage it. I think there is some teamwork going on to tire him out.

Thursday I went bass fishing at a local lake of about 130 acres. It's a quiet place and only allows electric motors. One of the resident bald eagles made a spectacular dive and swoop to grab a foot-long fish off the surface and fly back up to a branch near the nest.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Here's another pic of our backporch feeder the other day.
DW shot this pic as well.
Hummers

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:30 pm Hummers on the back porch feeder.

Awesome! Do you know what species these are?
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

andypanda wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:14 am "Goldfinches just showed up at my bird feeder. Finally!"

Probably because they have been eating us out of house and home all summer. I've never seen anything quite like it. We are in the Richmond VA area near the tidal James River.

On hummingbirds - we have a feeder on one front window and one on a back window and the alpha bird tries to claim both, but can't quite manage it. I think there is some teamwork going on to tire him out.

Thursday I went bass fishing at a local lake of about 130 acres. It's a quiet place and only allows electric motors. One of the resident bald eagles made a spectacular dive and swoop to grab a foot-long fish off the surface and fly back up to a branch near the nest.
Wow! The bald eagle must have been fun to watch!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I watched a pair of American Three-toed Woodpeckers working together the other day. When the male got something, he would feed the other one. Video conveys their industriousness even more. Photos taken with a stock Google Pixel 6a cell phone.

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

livesoft wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:15 am I watched a pair of American Three-toed Woodpeckers working together the other day. When the male got something, he would feed the other one. Video conveys their industriousness even more. Photos taken with a stock Google Pixel 6a cell phone.

Awesome photo! I wonder if one is a juvenile.