What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
heywhoathere

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by heywhoathere »

Porcupine Tree's latest album CLOSURE / CONTINUATION which just released today (their first release in 13 years).
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

I just recently discovered this gem. Katie Melua. She has the voice of an angel and I can’t get enough.

“I will be there” full concert version.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7IRIP-hSfJ0

“Bridge Over Troubled Water”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FygQ7I7tetU
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

If you haven’t listened to “Step Right Up” by Tom Waits, you’re in for a treat. It’s just a single song only a few minutes long. Hilarious.
Love Waits.
Hvac
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Glastonbury live on the BBC. Now on the Pyramid Stage: Haim, the three sisters from LA, they’re okay. Waiting for McCartney in about three hours’ time.

Edit: I watched an almost three hour set by McCartney who was joined briefly by Dave Grohl and Bruce Springsteen — fun!

Tomorrow: Diana Ross & Herbie Hancock, among others.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Watching the replay of Dead and Company’s Tuesday night show in St. Louis. I went to their last show this past September (rescheduled due to Covid), but tickets in the same seats this time around were a $100 higher per ticket so I passed. I could have afforded it, but just didn’t like it. Turns out those $280 Tuesday night seats were also when the temps were 99, and heat index 106. So, I was forced to sit and watch it live on my 65 flat screen and drink home made Margaritas in air conditioned comfort. :beer
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

The theme song from Home Fires, a show about the WW2 home front in England.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Herbie Hancock live at Glastonbury. An amazing musician. The crowd chanting “Herbie Herbie Herbie” at the end.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Not sure this is exactly on topic, but I've been watching the MTV unplugged series on Youtube. I find that I like many songs and groups "unplugged" that I don't like when the instruments are electric; for example, Stone Temple Pilots.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Black Country, New Road, Ants From Up Here.

Reviewed in today's NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/21/arts ... inger.html

It's on Spotify along with their first album.
LinearRange

Post by LinearRange »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:22 pm Glastonbury live on the BBC. Now on the Pyramid Stage: Haim, the three sisters from LA, they’re okay. Waiting for McCartney in about three hours’ time.

Edit: I watched an almost three hour set by McCartney who was joined briefly by Dave Grohl and Bruce Springsteen — fun!
The BBC posted some clips of McCartney at Glastonbury on YouTube. Good video/audio quality. Band on the Run, I've Got a Feeling

It's great to see Paul so strong and energetic at 80. It gives me hope for my old age. I knew he was going to do the duet thing with Lennon for I've Got a Feeling, but it was still pretty moving to see it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

LinearRange wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:41 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:22 pm Glastonbury live on the BBC. Now on the Pyramid Stage: Haim, the three sisters from LA, they’re okay. Waiting for McCartney in about three hours’ time.

The BBC posted some clips of McCartney at Glastonbury on YouTube. Good video/audio quality. Band on the Run, I've Got a Feeling

It's great to see Paul so strong and energetic at 80. It gives me hope for my old age. I knew he was going to do the duet thing with Lennon for I've Got a Feeling, but it was still pretty moving to see it.
Agreed. The Guardian posted a rave review —>
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... phenomenal
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

Garbage. I was not familiar with them; a random "25 greatest rock songs" bit on youtube listed one of their songs (push it) very high. I found a couple of concert recordings on youtube and liked very very much - I wish I had known about them when I was looking for something to listen to after Nirvana. Sort of post-grunge-techno, with a distinctive sound.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

"In the Fairway" radio show on Denver FAN.
Fun and informative 2 hour radio show with many interviews with PGA caddies about their players and caddy life.
Also with rules features and info nuggets.
Entertaining.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick.

Oldie but goodie.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
t2cycling

Post by t2cycling »

Dantes wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:03 pm Garbage. I was not familiar with them; a random "25 greatest rock songs" bit on youtube listed one of their songs (push it) very high. I found a couple of concert recordings on youtube and liked very very much - I wish I had known about them when I was looking for something to listen to after Nirvana. Sort of post-grunge-techno, with a distinctive sound.
Garbage is such a great band! You may also enjoy Silversun Pickups if you haven’t run across them already.
https://youtu.be/C660e6f0dM0
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Dick’s Picks Vol. 1 Curtis Hixon Hall, Tampa, FL. 12/19/73 — The Grateful Dead
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJoD ... SwjrD-nFFc
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Artful Dodger wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:02 pm Watching the replay of Dead and Company’s Tuesday night show in St. Louis. I went to their last show this past September (rescheduled due to Covid), but tickets in the same seats this time around were a $100 higher per ticket so I passed. I could have afforded it, but just didn’t like it. Turns out those $280 Tuesday night seats were also when the temps were 99, and heat index 106. So, I was forced to sit and watch it live on my 65 flat screen and drink home made Margaritas in air conditioned comfort. :beer
I hate to pay up for concert tickets. I think the most I ever paid was around $70 to see Bob Dylan and that was probably twenty years ago. I wouldn’t want to go over that. Anyway I don’t go to concerts anymore. I had a work buddy who paid $750 each for front row seats to see Eric Clapton. Later I asked him how it went. He said it was a good show, Clapton was good, as usual, but it wasn’t worth $750.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

The Hollies - Bus Stop
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

America the Beautiful — Ray Charles
https://youtu.be/TRUjr8EVgBg
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

Rosalîa - La Fama

https://youtu.be/JpOcyc2vUG0
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Handel: The Water Music (DSD format)
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

Just got turned on to the indie-folk trio "Bonny Light Horseman". Their debut album received a Grammy nomination for "Best Folk Album" in 2020.

Here is their version of "10,000 Miles":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2pgcCBKJkA

"Deep In Love" from the debut album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeN7-uW55A4

and a Elliot Smith cover of "Clementine":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcMPKcBE0SI
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Lupe Fiasco's The Cool
Light weight baby!
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:03 pm America the Beautiful — Ray Charles
https://youtu.be/TRUjr8EVgBg.
:thumbsup
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Abraxas — Santana (Hope you’re feeling better Carlos!)
DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave »

Broken Bones by Howling Bells. Never heard of them, but after giving up on Amazon Music Unlimited, I just signed up for a three month free trial of Spotify Premium. Jury is still out on Spotify, but they have the (annoying?) trait of, when your playlist ends, continuing on with music they think you might like. They played this, and I liked it. I'm not sure Amazon ever suggested anything I found interesting. On the other hand, when the playlist ended, Amazon stopped, which was predictable.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Drowns the Whiskey (feat: Miranda Lambert) Jason Aldean.
Broken Man 1999

Johnny Winter's Still Alive and Well.

Though he is no longer alive. :(

How he lived as long as he did is a mystery to me. I suppose if you can get out of your twenties without dying from drugs, you have a good chance of cheating death and are able to live longer.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Led Zeppelin Essentials — on Apple Music
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

WXPN - Blues Show with Jonny Meister; Philadelphia, PA

Elmore James, Dylan Triplett

https://xpn.org/program/the-blues-show/

Great Sat. show for any blues lovers out there. :beer
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

DiamondplateDave wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:36 am Broken Bones by Howling Bells. Never heard of them, but after giving up on Amazon Music Unlimited, I just signed up for a three month free trial of Spotify Premium. Jury is still out on Spotify, but they have the (annoying?) trait of, when your playlist ends, continuing on with music they think you might like. They played this, and I liked it. I'm not sure Amazon ever suggested anything I found interesting. On the other hand, when the playlist ended, Amazon stopped, which was predictable.
Apple Music does the same thing. It will play all your the music in your queue, then keep playing whatever it thinks is similar indefinitely. It’s their Autoplay feature. You can disable it if you want. I would think you could do the same with Spotify.
Last edited by Artful Dodger on Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:23 pm WXPN - Blues Show with Jonny Meister; Philadelphia, PA

What a coincidence! I'm listening to the same show. :wink:
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:35 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:23 pm WXPN - Blues Show with Jonny Meister; Philadelphia, PA

Thanks to you, I discovered this fine show! Good harmonica players tonight. :beer
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:39 pm

Thanks to you, I discovered this fine show! Good harmonica players tonight. :beer
Edit - for some reason their website keeps dropping the signal tonight (internet) so now I'm listening via Radio Garden to see if it's more stable. Working well so far. They used to have a pop-up player in a separate window and it seems like they changed it (no pop-up player tonight).
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Digital Love
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:53 pm Edit - for some reason their website keeps dropping the signal tonight (internet) so now I'm listening via Radio Garden to see if it's more stable. Working well so far. They used to have a pop-up player in a separate window and it seems like they changed it (no pop-up player tonight).
I just go to the main website, WXPN (Public Radio from the University of Pennsylvania) and click on the "On Air WXPN" Play button at the top of the page (desktop PC). On a mobile device, the player is at the bottom of the page.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:08 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:53 pm Edit - for some reason their website keeps dropping the signal tonight (internet) so now I'm listening via Radio Garden to see if it's more stable. Working well so far. They used to have a pop-up player in a separate window and it seems like they changed it (no pop-up player tonight).
I just go to the main website, WXPN (Public Radio from the University of Pennsylvania) and click on the "On Air WXPN" Play button at the top of the page (desktop PC). On a mobile device, the player is at the bottom of the page.
Thanks.

That's what I was doing and it kept stopping (laptop). Radio Garden is working fine tonight and I can still see the artist playing on the WXPN browser. I'll try it again next time.

Always a work-around. :happy
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:53 pm

Edit - for some reason their website keeps dropping the signal tonight (internet) so now I'm listening via Radio Garden to see if it's more stable. Working well so far. They used to have a pop-up player in a separate window and it seems like they changed it (no pop-up player tonight).
I saw your post and have been listening via Apple Music. Thanks to Lady Geek for the suggestion awhile back. :sharebeer
rob

Post by rob »

Went to Orebolo a few days ago on a whim.... This is a TERRIBLE recording (although great they posted) and there are lots of others... Just really good and tight when they got it going.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Artful Dodger wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:14 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:53 pm

I saw your post and have been listening via Apple Music. Thanks to Lady Geek for the suggestion awhile back. :sharebeer
I forgot about Apple Music. Another option with my iPhone plus bluetooth speaker.

I also think I have their mobile app. The show is really awesome! :beer
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:27 am Johnny Winter's Still Alive and Well.

How he lived as long as he did is a mystery to me. I suppose if you can get out of your twenties without dying from drugs, you have a good chance of cheating death and are able to live longer.

Broken Man 1999
I too am amazed that Johnny Winter lived as long as he did. I was lucky enough to see JW twice: once towards the beginning of the successful part of his career in December of 1969 with his brother Edgar and once towards the end of his career in September of 2008. Review here:
https://www.masslive.com/entertainment/ ... e_hea.html
He was a fantastic guitarist. During the 2008 show he was led on stage and took a seat, which he didn’t leave for the whole show. He didn’t seem very healthy, but you couldn’t tell it from his playing and singing.
JW’s collaborations with Muddy Waters and James Cotton are excellent.

Thanks for reminding me of this legendary performer.
Broken Man 1999

New album Santorini by Pavlo Simtikidis.

A few years ago I met this amazing musician at a DD's party, Pavlo's daughter and my granddaughter are friends. He was sidelined during the covid lockdowns. Looks like he is touring again.

https://www.pavlo.com/

The link above will take you to some of his concerts on YouTube.

Broken Man 1999
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Vulfpeck live stream concert from Levitate Festival this weekend on youtube.
Broken Man 1999

eddot98 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:39 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:27 am Johnny Winter's Still Alive and Well.

Broken Man 1999
I too am amazed that Johnny Winter lived as long as he did. I was lucky enough to see JW twice: once towards the beginning of the successful part of his career in December of 1969 with his brother Edgar and once towards the end of his career in September of 2008. Review here:
He was a fantastic guitarist. During the 2008 show he was led on stage and took a seat, which he didn’t leave for the whole show. He didn’t seem very healthy, but you couldn’t tell it from his playing and singing.

I tracked down the album I'm a Bluesman mentioned in your link to the review. Seldom buy CDs any longer, I made an exception for this one.

Thanks for the link!

:sharebeer

Broken Man 1999
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Listening to this Vietnam Era mix on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/85QoIHcNH2o
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:06 am New album Santorini by Pavlo Simtikidis.

A few years ago I met this amazing musician at a DD's party, Pavlo's daughter and my granddaughter are friends. He was sidelined during the covid lockdowns. Looks like he is touring again.

Broken Man 1999
Thanks!

It took a bit to find it at least on Spotify. Search on Pavlo, not on his last name nor on the album title. So many Santorini albums!
Broken Man 1999

heartwood wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:22 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:06 am New album Santorini by Pavlo Simtikidis.

Broken Man 1999
Thanks!

It took a bit to find it at least on Spotify. Search on Pavlo, not on his last name nor on the album title. So many Santorini albums!
Yeah, sometimes it takes me a couple of tries when I ask Alexa to play Pavlo. I tried first to get Alexa to play the new album, but no go. So I went into my Amazon Music player and was able to pull it in and listen.

Funny, I just asked Alexa to play Santorini by Pavlo, this time success. Go figure!

Broken Man 1999
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:12 am

Broken Man 1999

I tracked down the album I'm a Bluesman mentioned in your link to the review. Seldom buy CDs any longer, I made an exception for this one.

Thanks for the link!

Broken Man 1999
You are most welcome. You and I seem to have some similar tastes in music. Your Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick post got me thinking about Tull and how much I enjoyed their early work. I lost interest in them after Thick as a Brick. I heard Ian Anderson say that he wrote Thick as an answer to people who said that Aqualung was a concept album. He said that Aqualung was never intended to be a concept album, but if people wanted one, here’s Thick as a Brick. Pardon me if you know this, but Mick Abrahams, the guitarist on Tull’s first album, This Was, went on to form Bloodwyn Pig and back when I spent my little bit of money on music like a drunken sailor, I bought their first 2 albums. Haven’t heard them in quite a while; maybe I will get them out soon.
Broken Man 1999

eddot98 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:38 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:12 am

Broken Man 1999

Thanks for the link!

Broken Man 1999
You are most welcome. You and I seem to have some similar tastes in music. Your Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick post got me thinking about Tull and how much I enjoyed their early work. I lost interest in them after Thick as a Brick. I heard Ian Anderson say that he wrote Thick as an answer to people who said that Aqualung was a concept album. He said that Aqualung was never intended to be a concept album, but if people wanted one, here’s Thick as a Brick. Pardon me if you know this, but Mick Abrahams, the guitarist on Tull’s first album, This Was, went on to form Bloodwyn Pig and back when I spent my little bit of money on music like a drunken sailor, I bought their first 2 albums. Haven’t heard them in quite a while; maybe I will get them out soon.
I have always thought Ian Anderson was born a couple of centuries too late. He would have fit best being a balladeer (Minstrel in the Gallery). I saw Jethro Tull in a large stadium concert, and many years later in a more intimate venue. Both concerts were great.

Broken Man 1999