Fidelity free Turbotax [2016 - 2021]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
MisterBill

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax

Post by MisterBill »

Horsefly wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:22 am I did read your link, and read it again. I'll admit I may have gone over it too quick, and I don't think I know what PWI and PI mean. Anyway, I guess I shouldn't care, since I do get the free TurboTax. Since I'm not an active trader, I don't know why the explanation for me getting it would be on the active trader pages at the Fidelity site. Oh well.
PWI = Personal & Workplace Investments (aka 401k/pension/ESPP/etc.)
PI = Personal Investments (individual, joint, IRA, Roth IRA, etc. accounts)

Bottom line if you have $1m+ in PI accounts (what I think of as "retail"), are Private Client Group and have a rep assigned, you should receive free TT.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

MisterBill wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:46 am
Horsefly wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:22 am I did read your link, and read it again. I'll admit I may have gone over it too quick, and I don't think I know what PWI and PI mean. Anyway, I guess I shouldn't care, since I do get the free TurboTax. Since I'm not an active trader, I don't know why the explanation for me getting it would be on the active trader pages at the Fidelity site. Oh well.
PWI = Personal & Workplace Investments (aka 401k/pension/ESPP/etc.)
PI = Personal Investments (individual, joint, IRA, Roth IRA, etc. accounts)

Bottom line if you have $1m+ in PI accounts (what I think of as "retail"), are Private Client Group and have a rep assigned, you should receive free TT.
All that applies to me yet I haven’t gotten the free TT for the last several years. I have asked my PCG rep to explain what criterion I may be missing and he is researching that.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

GeraniumLover wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:37 am All that applies to me yet I haven’t gotten the free TT for the last several years. I have asked my PCG rep to explain what criterion I may be missing and he is researching that.
Are you sure that you are looking in the right place for it? I only ask because I got a text this weekend from a guy who I met at a Fidelity PCG event a couple of years ago asking if I had gotten TT yet. Turns out he was looking on the taxes page where the $20 discount is posted, which is the wrong place. When he went to the portfolio page, the offer was there. And he had downloaded it in previous years (once I told him about the offer when we met).

Have you asked your rep to look into it previously?
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

MisterBill wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:43 am
GeraniumLover wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:37 am All that applies to me yet I haven’t gotten the free TT for the last several years. I have asked my PCG rep to explain what criterion I may be missing and he is researching that.
Are you sure that you are looking in the right place for it? I only ask because I got a text this weekend from a guy who I met at a Fidelity PCG event a couple of years ago asking if I had gotten TT yet. Turns out he was looking on the taxes page where the $20 discount is posted, which is the wrong place. When he went to the portfolio page, the offer was there. And he had downloaded it in previous years (once I told him about the offer when we met).

Have you asked your rep to look into it previously?
I am looking for it on the Summary tab of the All Accounts portfolio page, which is where I had found it in the years it was offered to me.

My rep looked into it at my request back in December. He told me he found out it is a marketing promotion and that the people who were selected for it got it and the others did not. I directed him to the Active Trader page where it lays out the criteria and asked him to find out which criteria I failed to meet, which he is now investigating.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Thought I'd "add" to the conversation.

After paying all of the amounts, including two state returns and having to "upgrade" thanks to paypal being proactive about issuing a 1099 (joke is on you Illinois because now you have to pay me back) for my handful of sales on ebay, I got a new link on the main page of Fidelity to get free turbotax.

...which is worthless.

Thanks?
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Thanks for the update. I was able to download it today too.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

2tall4economy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:24 pm Thought I'd "add" to the conversation.

After paying all of the amounts, including two state returns and having to "upgrade" thanks to paypal being proactive about issuing a 1099 (joke is on you Illinois because now you have to pay me back) for my handful of sales on ebay, I got a new link on the main page of Fidelity to get free turbotax.

...which is worthless.

Thanks?
Intuit has a 60-day return policy. I'm not sure how it works if you've purchased the state software (and did you actually need to pay for two additional states)? Did you buy the online version? You wouldn't have had to pay until you filed.
Vernn

Post by Vernn »

Fidelity just issued my 1099 and now the free Turbo tax premier like appears. :oops:
Gus Chiggins

Post by Gus Chiggins »

Just to add a data point, DW’s 401k, Roth and HSA plus our joint brokerage accounts just crossed $1M at Fidelity. Roughly around when that threshold was passed, her TT offer went from the discounted TT offer to the free TT Premier offer. We also have an assigned representative (that we’ve never used). Unfortunately, we’ve already purchased TT Deluxe and filed, but this does seem to align with the eligibility requirements presented several times up thread.

UPDATE: After reaching out to Fidelity, they refunded us the sale day for the cost of TT Deluxe without any pushback.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I find myself checking the Fidelity website daily at this time of year. :happy Nothing yet. :(
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

CardinalRule wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:45 pm I find myself checking the Fidelity website daily at this time of year. :happy Nothing yet. :(
Yes, I have checked but figured it was not worth posting until Thursday since that is when it usually shows up.

But be sure to get the free $100 from Fidelity for opening a new account with code FIDELITY100. Discussed in the normal Fidelity thread but here is the link to open the account:

https://www.fidelity.com/go/special-offer
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

MisterBill wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:56 pm
CardinalRule wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:45 pm I find myself checking the Fidelity website daily at this time of year. :happy Nothing yet. :(
Yes, I have checked but figured it was not worth posting until Thursday since that is when it usually shows up.
Good call. It showed up this morning. :sharebeer
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Thanks for the PSA. Woo hoo!!
TheRealJohnDoe

Post by TheRealJohnDoe »

Yep, I'm seeing it too. They always make the desktop product difficult to find, but this year super difficult. I'm seeing Premier for $0, but it initiates the online TurboTax. Anyone find the link to desktop?

UPDATE: It took some looking but after clicking on the TurboTax offer on the Fidelity summary page, navigate to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/ which is product comparison. Scroll to the bottom and you can select desktop version.
Chip

Post by Chip »

CardinalRule wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:50 am Good call. It showed up this morning. :sharebeer
Got it. Thanks. The download version was hard to find, as usual. I found it by clicking on the Help button then working my way to "Buy a CD/Download product".

One year I'll find it first. I checked early this morning and it wasn't there yet. :D
seawolf21

LIVE and YMMV 2021 Free Turbotax Premium for select Fidelity customers

Post by seawolf21 »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

It's back this year. Logged in this morning and saw following.
Get TurboTax® Premier free

Receive a free federal and state tax return
TurboTax® will automatically import your Fidelity account info
Get your refund quickly by direct depositing into your Fidelity account
To access download version:
1. Click File Your own Taxes on top left.
2. Click CD/Download Products
3. Click Compare All products
runner3081

Re: LIVE and YMMV 2021 Free Turbotax Premium for select Fidelity customers

Post by runner3081 »

Bummer, not here. Will use their (Turbotax) competitor again.

Save up to $20 on TurboTax®
Fidelity is pleased to offer a special discount on TurboTax® to help you prepare your tax return. You'll get up to $20 off TurboTax federal products: TurboTax Online, TurboTax Live, and TurboTax desktop downloads.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:57 am Bummer, not here. Will use their (Turbotax) competitor again.

Fidelity is pleased to offer a special discount on TurboTax® to help you prepare your tax return. You'll get up to $20 off TurboTax federal products: TurboTax Online, TurboTax Live, and TurboTax desktop downloads.
Call your rep and ask for it.
Chip

Post by Chip »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:57 am Bummer, not here. Will use their (Turbotax) competitor again.

Did you look on the Summary page for your account? That's where the free offer appears, not on the Tax page.
wander

Post by wander »

Does it include State Tax?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

wander wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:23 am Does it include State Tax?
Yes.
Chip

Post by Chip »

It includes one "free" state program. State e-filing is an extra charge.
wander

Post by wander »

HueyLD wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:25 am
wander wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:23 am Does it include State Tax?
Yes.
Nice. T.Rowe Price gives free Turbotax but for Federal only. State Tax is $40 on TurboTax, so it makes no sense.
drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz »

I only see get $20 off turbotax, where do you find a free version or how to get it? thanks
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

seawolf21 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:12 am It's back this year. Logged in this morning and saw following.
Get TurboTax® Premier free

Receive a free federal and state tax return
TurboTax® will automatically import your Fidelity account info
Get your refund quickly by direct depositing into your Fidelity account
To access download version:
1. Click File Your own Taxes on top left.
2. Click CD/Download Products
3. Click Compare All products
Thanks seawolf21. That's the first time I have ever downloaded TT before March. :beer

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
TheRealJohnDoe

Post by TheRealJohnDoe »

drzzzzz wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:30 am I only see get $20 off turbotax, where do you find a free version or how to get it? thanks
If you don't see the offer on the bottom of your Fidelity summary page, you are not eligible for the offer.

You can read this entire thread and speculate on how one becomes eligible if you'd like, but it is likely a waste of time. Some think it is total assets at Fidelity in taxable accounts, but I can guarantee that isn't it. Some think it is total number of trades, but I can guarantee that isn't it either. My speculation is that it is total assets not including employer provided qualified accounts, but data points in the past tell me that's not entirely correct either.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Chip wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:07 amGot it. Thanks. The download version was hard to find, as usual. I found it by clicking on the Help button then working my way to "Buy a CD/Download product"....
Yes, quite a breadcrumb trail to the download version. Thanks for the map. :)
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:57 am
drzzzzz wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:30 am I only see get $20 off turbotax, where do you find a free version or how to get it? thanks
If you don't see the offer on the bottom of your Fidelity summary page, you are not eligible for the offer.

You can read this entire thread and speculate on how one becomes eligible if you'd like, but it is likely a waste of time. Some think it is total assets at Fidelity in taxable accounts, but I can guarantee that isn't it. Some think it is total number of trades, but I can guarantee that isn't it either. My speculation is that it is total assets not including employer provided qualified accounts, but data points in the past tell me that's not entirely correct either.
I have had years where it showed up in early Jan for me when others were reporting receiving it Dec.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

marcopolo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:19 am

I have had years where it showed up in early Jan for me when others were reporting receiving it Dec.
Mine typically shows up in January, around the 10th.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged seawolf21's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

Yep I see it too.
DSBH

Post by DSBH »

Chip wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:07 am ... The download version was hard to find, as usual. I found it by clicking on the Help button then working my way to "Buy a CD/Download product" ...
Thank you for the tip ! I did not know about Fidelity offering free TurboTax until now, thanks to BHs. It's even the Premier version (which is more than what we need, but still ...).
John C. Bogle: "Never confuse genius with luck and a bull market".
upstatenick

Post by upstatenick »

Thanks for spotting this and for the instructions to find the desktop version. I have been private client for 4 years and this is the first time I received a free copy of Turbotax from Fidelity.

The only thing that changed this year is I was assigned a client rep and had a brief conversation with him; Turbotax did not come up. I don't have any workplace accounts.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Is Fidelity’s free TT offer based on a particular client status or AUM threshold? If so, what are the details?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Kookaburra wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:11 pm Is Fidelity’s free TT offer based on a particular client status or AUM threshold? If so, what are the details?
“ Active traders who trade 120+ trades per calendar year and has one or more nonretirement account(s).

Certain covered clients: Private Wealth Management (PWM) client and owns one or more nonretirement account(s) or PCG, Premium, and ATS clients with minimum assets of either: PWI assets of $1,000,000 or more and PI assets of at least $500,000 and own one or more nonretirement account or Nonretirement assets $1,000,000 or more. Applies to Federal returns and one state return only. Cost of additional state returns are the responsibility of the client.“

https://www.fidelity.com/trading/active ... ice-levels
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Chip wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:26 am It includes one "free" state program. State e-filing is an extra charge.
Yep. Image
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

HueyLD wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:05 am

Call your rep and ask for it.
I don't have a rep. Have never called Fidelity before :)
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Related: I just received an e-mail from Turbotax stating that they will no longer be participating in the IRS Free File program.
feh

Post by feh »

TimeRunner wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:14 am
Chip wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:07 amGot it. Thanks. The download version was hard to find, as usual. I found it by clicking on the Help button then working my way to "Buy a CD/Download product"....
Yes, quite a breadcrumb trail to the download version. Thanks for the map. :)
The path to the download has been less than obvious previous years, and this year I did not see it at all on the page that the Fido link takes you to.

For those that don't want to hunt, after clicking on the Fido link, go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Tom_T wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:40 pm Related: I just received an e-mail from Turbotax stating that they will no longer be participating in the IRS Free File program.
Isn't that actually unrelated since it does not apply to people who use the paid TT product?
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Chip wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:26 am It includes one "free" state program. State e-filing is an extra charge.
Actually, if you use the online version, state e-file is free because they charge for the state return and e-file together, and the website shows the price as $0 if you click on the appropriate link. In fact, multiple states are free with the online version, or at least they have been in the past.

If you use the download version, only the first state software is free, and you pay for e-file, except in NY where it has to be free, by law. Additional states are $30 or 40, PLUS e-file.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

feh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:26 pm The path to the download has been less than obvious previous years, and this year I did not see it at all on the page that the Fido link takes you to.

For those that don't want to hunt, after clicking on the Fido link, go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/
Thanks - very helpful!

Current state of the software is Not Ready For Prime Time - many forms have yet to be finalized by the IRS, and consequently many of TT's calculations are using 2020 rules. Updates will come when they come.
dowse

Post by dowse »

Seeing this thread get bumped prompted me to log in to my account to check. I found a free offer for TT, so I immediately logged in using the link in order to establish an active 2021 return. I suggest that anyone who sees an offer do the same, as I've seen the offer come and go in past years. Some years, I've seen only the $20 off offer, only to either go away later or even be replaced by a free offer later. I could never figure out a rhyme or reason for it, as my account balances haven't changed significantly over the past few years.
papiper

Post by papiper »

The main prompts lead you to the online version. If you select help on the top you can see options that will end up letting you download a product for free.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

FiveK wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:26 amCurrent state of the software is Not Ready For Prime Time - many forms have yet to be finalized by the IRS, and consequently many of TT's calculations are using 2020 rules. Updates will come when they come.
Here's the forms schedule (subject to change): https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intu ... idual.html
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

upstatenick wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:04 pm Thanks for spotting this and for the instructions to find the desktop version. I have been private client for 4 years and this is the first time I received a free copy of Turbotax from Fidelity.

The only thing that changed this year is I was assigned a client rep and had a brief conversation with him; Turbotax did not come up. I don't have any workplace accounts.
It was reported last year that having an assigned rep seemed to be important in getting the offer. You've given us another data point. Funny thing is, the reps have no idea when the offer is released, or who gets it. And for those who said they didn't want a rep always calling them, obviously you have not found that to be the case.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Having an assigned rep also seems to be key. For those who say, "I don't want anyone calling me".
Chip

Post by Chip »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:51 am It was reported last year that having an assigned rep seemed to be important in getting the offer. You've given us another data point.
And yet I have NOT had an assigned rep for several years and still get free TT.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Chip wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:59 am
MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:51 am It was reported last year that having an assigned rep seemed to be important in getting the offer. You've given us another data point.
And yet I have NOT had an assigned rep for several years and still get free TT.
There are so many oddities to who qualifies for this offer. If you get it, great. If you don't get it and think that you should, getting a rep assigned might fix it.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

For several years DW & I received TT from Fidelity for free, but not the case these last couple years. Based upon several recent posts to "ask your Rep", I just e-mailed my assigned Rep and inquired on Status. We have a very sizable amount @ Fidelity in 401K's, IRA, 529, HSA's, and Taxable, so hopefully the Rep can ensure we are eligible this year. Else, I will just hold out for the hoped for/expected Amazon Sale on Dec 26th. :beer
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean