C8 Corvette - who is buying?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
grettman

Re: C8 Corvette - who is buying?

Post by grettman »

CoAndy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:29 am I would LOVE a new Corvette but I am not sure I want to delay my retirement for a year or year and a half to get it.
It is hard to think of anything worth giving up a year or year and half for....but it is easy to say a car for sure isn't one of those things.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Many if not most Corvettes are purchased by people who worship them instead of driving them. The best way to buy one is gently used. Used but like-new Corvettes with very low miles are plentiful. So if I were to buy one, which is very unlikely, it would be used and at least 2-4 years down the road. In that time I could also get a good feel for reliability, specific problem areas, etc.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
BigMoneyNoWhammies

Post by BigMoneyNoWhammies »

strafe wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:13 pm Anyone putting in a pre-order?

What trim/options and why?

Base model is an incredible value, under $60k. I may wait a year or two for them to work out new model kinks and hope for discounts.

For those who spent the week hiding under a rock, Chevrolet announced the mid-engine C8 Corvette. The new model is a quantum leap in sophistication over the predecessor, at almost no increase in cost. Perhaps its appeal will reach beyond old geezers.

This is my thinking as well. Most new models have a few kinks to shake out after the first year, especially higher performance vehicles.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

alfaspider wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 am
smitcat wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:33 am
alfaspider wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:15 am
smitcat wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:12 am
WhiteMaxima wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:54 am Priced very well (for 60K, a Honda Civic Type R is asking for $35000, crazy isn't it). A corvette is an American icon racing car (RWD, center engine). I would buy it if have this kind of money. I guess a used C7 price would be suffer and I would probably buy a low mileage C7 at 1/2 of the list (30K, 6MT) and get a used C8 later.
Unfortunately the C7's are not available used for anything near that $30K and the trans is a 7 speed manual.
But I agree with you general idea...
They are if you don't mind some miles:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

His post indicated 'low mileage'.
And every one has a reported accident.
OK. So you can get one with 30k miles for 36k.

Close enough.
Yes, agreed - a base 2014 corvette that sold for about $50k in 2014 would now be available for about $36K with mileage around 30k.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

gtd98765 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:26 pm If one wants to go fast quickly, I doubt it's a match for a Tesla, which one can get for the bargain price of around $40K.
Just to clear your doubt, Telsa Model 3 has 5.6 seconds 0 to 60... It's slow. If you pay up $56k for a performance package, you'll get 3.2 seconds but still get smoked by the new C8. If you want to compete with C8, $120k Tesla Model S performance LM package might have a better chance.

Oh and it's fun to smoke (literally) Telsa drivers...
Time is the ultimate currency.
chevca

Post by chevca »

I am a Chevy guy. Although never really been a Corvette guy other than appreciating the heritage and cars. I like that new Corvette though. Finally won't look like the driver is sitting over the rear wheels with a huge, long hood. It will probably handle a lot better like that too.

I won't be buying though. I'm sure the Corvette die hards are vomiting in their mouths as this announcement is made. :happy I think Chevy made a good move with this though.
marti038

Post by marti038 »

I'm a huge Corvette fan, and I really like the C8. It's about time they moved the engine to the rear of the car.

It's unlikely I'll ever own one though. I'm about 10 times more likely to buy a 67'.
“Having, first, gained all you can, and, secondly saved all you can, then give all you can.” - John Wesley
chevca

Post by chevca »

H-Town wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:04 pm
gtd98765 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:26 pm If one wants to go fast quickly, I doubt it's a match for a Tesla, which one can get for the bargain price of around $40K.
Just to clear your doubt, Telsa Model 3 has 5.6 seconds 0 to 60... It's slow. If you pay up $56k for a performance package, you'll get 3.2 seconds but still get smoked by the new C8. If you want to compete with C8, $120k Tesla Model S performance LM package might have a better chance.

It's funny how many BHs think they're car folks, isn't it? If it's not a Tesla, Camry, or Prius, it's nothing! :happy

This new Vette is gonna fly!
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

chevca wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:20 pm

It's funny how many BHs think they're car folks, isn't it? If it's not a Tesla, Camry, or Prius, it's nothing! :happy

Heck yeah. When you get to sub 3 seconds territory, the engineering and design are mind blowing. Human race has come a long way.

I also like what Chevy is doing with the mid-engine Vette. Both C7 and C8 are among the best value sport car one can buy.
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

Yuck. Most hideous version yet.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

chevca wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:16 pm I'm sure the Corvette die hards are vomiting in their mouths as this announcement is made.
I imagine that some are. But many have also been wishing for a mid-engine car for many years. You can never please everyone but I think on balance the new design will go over very well even with Corvette enthusiasts. Those who are dead set on front engine will have a lot of nice used ones to choose from for a long time to come.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

snackdog wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:16 pmNothing less congruous than a taut, sporty, late-model, snarling sports car driven by a middle-aged (or older) jowly guy with a paunch.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
ohai

Post by ohai »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:48 am
Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:44 am
Jags4186 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 am I hope this car has an amazing VROOM to it.

Looks great.
The Jay Leno Garage segment on it was really sad when he drove it away. It DID NOT sound like a muscle car at all. Give it the gas Jay!
The Corvette isn’t a muscle car and it’s primary competition for years has been the 911. But I get your point.
Do a lot of people really cross shop 911 and Corvettes? I understand that they are comparable in terms of genre, but the average price for each model, as well as the customer populations, don't seem to overlap too much.

I'd guess the number one cross shopped car with Corvette would be high end Camaros, and then maybe Dodge or Mustang. Then BMW M3 and maybe even some performance version of trucks or GM cars. And then 911 towards the back.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 am I hope this car has an amazing VROOM to it.
You an declutch by pulling both paddles at the same time and vroom all you want.
If you are into that sort of thing.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

ohai wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 pm Do a lot of people really cross shop 911 and Corvettes? I understand that they are comparable in terms of genre, but the average price for each model, as well as the customer populations, don't seem to overlap too much.

I'd guess the number one cross shopped car with Corvette would be high end Camaros, and then maybe Dodge or Mustang. Then BMW M3 and maybe even some performance version of trucks or GM cars. And then 911 towards the back.
They aren’t necessarily cross shopped due to the price except perhaps by track enthusiasts, however, at least GM seems to have the 911 in its sights with regards to performance.

You can quickly google “Corvette vs 911” and find dozens and dozens of articles going back 30 plus years pitching the two against each other.

That said—a muscle car generally denotes going fast in a straight line and nothing else matters. Corvettes (at least the last 2 generations and assuming this one is everything they say it is) go around corners.
bampf

Post by bampf »

chevca wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:20 pm

I'm a car guy. Love em. I love the Tesla model s with ludacris and its a ton of fun to drive. A Shelby AC cobra with a 427 would be so much dang fun. Never really been a vette guy. I love this thing. It looks amazing and the specs are insane. I won't buy new (probably) but, I think it is a sweet ride. I can appreciate all elements of a vehicle and different vehicles for different reasons. I think they knocked it out of the park with this design. I like it a lot more than the previous generation.
Nescio
squirm

Post by squirm »

slick_dealer_05 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:36 pm Once you go electric, it's very hard to go back to internal combustion engine cars.
No matter the leap that Corvette is taking, it's still a gasoline car.
Agree... If it doesn't have a plug, I'm not interested.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

ohai wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Looks great.
The Jay Leno Garage segment on it was really sad when he drove it away. It DID NOT sound like a muscle car at all. Give it the gas Jay!
The Corvette isn’t a muscle car and it’s primary competition for years has been the 911. But I get your point.
Do a lot of people really cross shop 911 and Corvettes? I understand that they are comparable in terms of genre, but the average price for each model, as well as the customer populations, don't seem to overlap too much.

I think there will be a lot more cross shopping with this generation. The Corvette was traditionally a powerful but relatively crude contraption you had to muscle around to get its full potential. While the C7 was quite tamed compared to earlier cars, it could also bite you hard if you didn’t respect it. The 911 is more of a scalpel than a hammer- less power but more precision. The 911 also tended to be higher quality, but more expensive.

With the mid-engine, the C8 is fixing to be much more precise and easier to handle. Quality and customization also seems to have increased. The Corvette likely will also have a wider than previous performance delta (favoring the Corvette in all but the GT series cars).

I think you will se a decent number of potential 911 buyers give the Corvette a close look.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

slick_dealer_05 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:36 pm Once you go electric, it's very hard to go back to internal combustion engine cars.
For any every day driver, this may be true. For a fun weekend car, give me the sound and feel of a cross plane V8 Mustang, a turbo charged Audi 5 cyclinder, a S2000 NA 4cyl at RPM, etc.
ohai

Post by ohai »

alfaspider wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm
ohai wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Looks great.

I think there will be a lot more cross shopping with this generation. The Corvette was traditionally a powerful but relatively crude contraption you had to muscle around to get its full potential. While the C7 was quite tamed compared to earlier cars, it could also bite you hard if you didn’t respect it. The 911 is more of a scalpel than a hammer- less power but more precision. The 911 also tended to be higher quality, but more expensive.

With the mid-engine, the C8 is fixing to be much more precise and easier to handle. Quality and customization also seems to have increased. The Corvette likely will also have a wider than previous performance delta (favoring the Corvette in all but the GT series cars).

I think you will se a decent number of potential 911 buyers give the Corvette a close look.
This new car is nothing like the old Corvette, other than the engine. I think it was a struggle between keeping the old Corvette attributes to appease current customers, and making a new, more sophisticated car to attract new buyers. The worst case is that neither customer is entirely happy.

I agree that more 911 buyers will like the new Corvette, precisely because it is not similar to the old Corvette. However, many sports car buyers, are brand loyal, possibly for their whole lives. I think it will take a few generations for the new car to fulfill its sales potential, if ever.
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

dsmclone wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:44 pm
For any every day driver, this may be true. For a fun weekend car, give me the sound and feel of a cross plane V8 Mustang, a turbo charged Audi 5 cyclinder, a S2000 NA 4cyl at RPM, etc.
+1

Electric for an appliance (commute, shopping, etc) car. ICE (preferably with a manual transmission) for a weekend/fun car.
Beach

Post by Beach »

In my previous life (pre-bogleheads) I had a first year, C5 Corvette. It was a blast to drive but a piece of junk. I'll never buy a first year, new generation Chevy again. Too many bugs they need to work out first.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

AerialWombat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:19 pm
Race ya' 500 miles.

Yeah. That's what I thought. :beer
LOL...weak.....do you often race 500 miles.....I agree ...ELECTRIC all the way!
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

I will never buy a GM (Government Motors) new product again.

Not after they cost the taxpayers over $10 Billion in the Bailout!
Gort

Post by Gort »

snackdog wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:16 pm The sad thing about sports cars is they so often are affordable only for people too old to drive them well or look good in them. Nothing less congruous than a taut, sporty, late-model, snarling sports car driven by a middle-aged (or older) jowly guy with a paunch.
C8 has two trunks so there's plenty of room for the paunch. :beer
ohai

Post by ohai »

I know the comments above are joking. However, a lot of people write about their Porsche and how "practical" these cars are because of the two trunks, and hatchback, in the case of 911. I think they are serious.
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

ohai wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:10 pm I know the comments above are joking. However, a lot of people write about their Porsche and how "practical" these cars are because of the two trunks, and hatchback, in the case of 911. I think they are serious.
The 911 is not a hatchback, and has no rear trunk. Just one front trunk, and tiny rear seats.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

bubbadog wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:53 pm No preorder for me but definitely interested in checking it out in person and probably a test drive.

I was thinking of buying a NSX but this has changed things.

The new Corvette is a game changer in the sports car world.

Mid engine, 495hp, 0-60 under 3 seconds, starting under $60K...WOW!
0-60 in under 3 seconds is getting close to Reagan-era Japanese big bore motorcycle territory. :P
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

chrisjul wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:28 pm I will never buy a GM (Government Motors) new product again.

lol Don't forget all the big banks... They are too big to fail. Didn't they (including GM) repay it back in full with interest? :mrgreen: If you have an issue, you should think about those that will get free rides and never have to pay it back. :annoyed

I have a GM car, cheap and reliable. It's better than the last Camry I had.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

dsmclone wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:34 am My god, why does every car conversation have to involve Tesla?
LOL.

Arguing that a Tesla has superior performance to a Corvette makes absolutely no sense to me. Road courses have curves and even an amateur track day involves enormous energy expenditure and heat management. I usually drive away on fumes. But I can fuel up at the track if I need to.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

chrisjul wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:27 pm
Race ya' 500 miles.

Regarding 500 miles - AerialWombat could have merely noted that a C8 Corvette would have no problem driving 500 miles at the speed limit in a reasonable amount of time versus an electric vehicle.

The New York Times had an article a last month titled L.A. to Vegas and Back by Electric Car: 8 Hours Driving; 5 More Plugged In.
Read the whole article at --- https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/22/busi ... rging.html
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Race ya' 500 miles.

Just on the weekend.

Your friend,
Ricky Bobby
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

My five year car plan is now:

-A Tesla Model 3 (or some other decent all-around electric sedan) as a daily driver, and
-A used C8 Z06, once they're available on the used market, for a combination street-legal track/weekend car.

I am a big fan of having a dedicated non-street-legal track car, for both performance and safety reasons, but as long as I'm living in urban California the hassle factor of having THREE additional vehicles (track car, trailer, tow vehicle) is too much. I expect the C8 Z06 to be about the best compromise possible for a street-legal track car that's also streetable, and is reasonably priced.
abc...xyz

Post by abc...xyz »

CardinalRule wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 am The Corvette is too big for me (but then I drive a Miata now). I do like the way it looks, compared to its predecessor. I still miss my old MR2 and will be very interested to see whether Toyota indeed brings it back someday. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2811 ... ports-car/
I hear you about missing your MR2. Over the years I’ve had a 74 Vette, 79 Vette, 85 Supra, 87 Supra and then a 92 2nd gen MR2 and the MR2 was by far the most fun car to drive. It was like a go cart for big kids. Certainly not the fastest of cars, but pure magic on a curvy back road. Years ago I was on the Dragon heading to NC when a sport biker blasted past me coming out of one of the curves and I decided to try to hang with him. He’d lose me on the straights but I’d catch back up with him on the next curve. Replaced the MR2 with a FRS in 2013 that’s fun but I still miss my MR2. I’d never owned an automatic until I replaced my old 4-Runner with a truck in 2017. I can’t imagine owning a Vette without a manual… running through the gears is half the fun of driving a sports car.
Barefoot

Post by Barefoot »

H-Town wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:50 pm Didn't they (including GM) repay it back in full with interest?
There's a difference between GM paying back a loan, and the Government taking a loss on selling GM stock.
chevca

Post by chevca »

Is GM in total stock or the S&P 500? Those so disgruntled by GM must not own those then? :happy
multiham

Post by multiham »

I think it looks great and if I didn't have a freshman in college, would be seriously looking at this car. I will definitely test drive it after the initial pre-orders are filled. I love the specs and the side view of the car.

A lot of Porsche enthusiasts said they would never buy another Porsche when they stopped making the air cooled 911's in 1998. Seems that Porsche is doing alright. Chevy may lose some enthusiasts with these changes, but I predict the sales numbers will be good.

It will be interesting if this new style will attract younger purchasers. The median age of a Corvette buyer has increased from 54 to 61 in the last 10 years. Chevy can't afford to have that trend continue.
bstewie

Post by bstewie »

I’m a fan. I hope it’s legendarily reliable for buyers, mid-engine repairs are more expensive by default. I have my dream car already and I plan to put many, many miles on it, otherwise I would consider a used one of these in a couple of years. To the Tesla crowd: you own great cars, but they have their pros and cons.
matjen

Post by matjen »

dsmclone wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:34 am My god, why does every car conversation have to involve Tesla?
Did someone say something about Tesla? I felt a disturbance in the Matrix. Let me guess, a silly comparison was made. :twisted:

C8 looks really interesting. I am most interested to see how the the dual clutch transmission is reviewed. That has to be spot on. So important to the overall experience it seems to me.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

I wouldn't consider a newly introduced GM car. I'd have to wait and see if it's, or until it becomes, just regular GM reliability-challenged, or it's a real reliability disaster. But if it proves reasonably reliable by GM standards over a couple of years I'll be looking at it, maybe if when I get tired of my M2 and sell it to one of my kids, but that might or might be within a couple of years and plenty of other candidates to replace it.

But the C8 is obviously providing a lot of spec for the money. Which C7 Corvettes do too, but I just don't like the Corvette styling and image since the 60's and up to now. With this one, maybe. And DCT all the way, I don't regret for a second getting it in the M2 over three pedal manual.

But people telling you you should like particular cars you just don't like is always funny. Like Tesla, big no thanks on that one (which also has real reliability/build quality problems according to everyone except the fan boys and girls, and I like to roam far and wide on road trips sometimes where there are hardly any gas stations, let alone finding then sitting around at charging stations, complete non-starter for me).
Topic Author
strafe

Post by strafe »

Thanks all for the responses!

I was pleased the conversation didn't degenerate into crazy talk about the Honda Cynic, Toyota Pocketprotector or Subaru Whitebread.
Though we got dangerously close with the Tesla Model 3.
Fans take note: Tesla has a fantastic sports car waiting in the wings.
You can reserve your Tesla for the low, low price of a new C8 Corvette (the remaining $150k of course due on delivery).
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I am worried for this forum. Nobody mentioned Camry yet. Or is Model 3 the new Camry?

ON: For the money it would be better to buy some used Porsche, keep it for several years and sell it for almost no loss (except maintenance of course). A corvette loses pretty much all the money.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

chrisjul wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:28 pm I will never buy a GM (Government Motors) new product again.

Tesla got A LOT of money from my taxes too.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

7eight9 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:49 pm
Race ya' 500 miles.

Regarding 500 miles - AerialWombat could have merely noted that a C8 Corvette would have no problem driving 500 miles at the speed limit in a reasonable amount of time versus an electric vehicle.

The New York Times had an article a last month titled L.A. to Vegas and Back by Electric Car: 8 Hours Driving; 5 More Plugged In.
Read the whole article at --- https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/22/busi ... rging.html
The NYT article was stupid. They essentially went out of their way to make the charging experience as lengthy an inconvenient as possible. A Tesla utilizing the Supercharger network only adds ~ 1 hour to that journey. Additionally, the "road trip" scenario not relevant to many drivers. I have not driven more than 3 hours to a destination in years. For commuters, think about all the time they are NOT spending filling up at gas stations. I suspect the EV saves a lot more than 4-5 hours over the course of a few years .

Obviously, if you are a frequent road tripper, and EV is not for you. Likewise, if you do not need to haul 20,000lbs, a Peterbuilt is not for you. Likewise, if you are not into vehicle performance, a C8 Corvette is not for you. A car can be good at what it is for without being good at everything. Or, a car can be good at nothing, but adequate at most things. Buy what brings value for YOUR wants/needs.
msk

Post by msk »

I think I qualify for a C8 and am tempted. Age 75 and currently use a couple of luxo barges (fast ones though, 4.6 sec 0-60, Mercedes S560L and a Lexus S500) + a 4x4 for the twice a year day trips into the boonies. Only remaining worry: last time I was in a Corvette I found the ride very harsh and I could feel every piece of gravel on the road. Harsher than my Porsche at the time and I was much younger then. So, does the C8 have a soft ride, American-barge, suspension setting? Am too old for the performance settings, but it does look like a great toy :mrgreen: and I find the LaFerrari too expensive.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:15 am
stoptothink wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:06 am
WhiteMaxima wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:54 am Priced very well (for 60K, a Honda Civic Type R is asking for $35000, crazy isn't it).
Where are you seeing a new Civic Type R for $35k? Good luck finding one under $40k. No doubt, the corvette will continue to be the biggest performance bang for the buck.
Probably dealer mark up 5k. I heard GM dealer is marking up C8 5K also. GM would probably raise C8 price above inflation until supply demand balanced. C8 is now open for reservation. Good luck if you could get one at MSRP. Or if you have a relative working for GM to get a family price. Excellent value I would say.
The largest dealers are not marking them up. You have lots of opportunity to get at MSRP
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

I am getting one and will pre-order. I’ll likely buy in somewhere like Phoenix and road trip back to Wisconsin.

I’m
Not sure of exterior color between white (first choice) red (wife’s choice) or black. Red interior if it’s white or Black and Tan I’d its red (and possibly black). likely just 1LT with high wing and body-color trim. Light grey double stripe and torch red calipers and engine cover. I’ll be putting aftermarket bronze rims on it and already have them picked out. Performance exhaust of it can be ordered without Z51 otherwise aftermarket exhaust.
itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 »

Bacchus01 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:52 am I am getting one and will pre-order. I’ll likely buy in somewhere like Phoenix and road trip back to Wisconsin.

I’m
Not sure of exterior color between white (first choice) red (wife’s choice) or black. Red interior if it’s white or Black and Tan I’d its red (and possibly black). likely just 1LT with high wing and body-color trim. Light grey double stripe and torch red calipers and engine cover. I’ll be putting aftermarket bronze rims on it and already have them picked out. Performance exhaust of it can be ordered without Z51 otherwise aftermarket exhaust.
Why buy out west? Would it be for the purpose of a maiden voyage road trip, perhaps down Route 66?
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture »

Bacchus01 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:46 am
WhiteMaxima wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:15 am
stoptothink wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:06 am
WhiteMaxima wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:54 am Priced very well (for 60K, a Honda Civic Type R is asking for $35000, crazy isn't it).
Where are you seeing a new Civic Type R for $35k? Good luck finding one under $40k. No doubt, the corvette will continue to be the biggest performance bang for the buck.
Probably dealer mark up 5k. I heard GM dealer is marking up C8 5K also. GM would probably raise C8 price above inflation until supply demand balanced. C8 is now open for reservation. Good luck if you could get one at MSRP. Or if you have a relative working for GM to get a family price. Excellent value I would say.
The largest dealers are not marking them up. You have lots of opportunity to get at MSRP
Has anyone seen what the z51 package increases the cost to? Any estimates?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

NoGambleNoFuture wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:18 pm Has anyone seen what the z51 package increases the cost to? Any estimates?
I'm assuming it's going to be somewhere around 5 grand just like the C7. Equipment in it is similar, except all versions of the C8 come with a dry sump oil system, while that was included in the Z51 package on the C7.