Any audiophiles on this forum?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
m@ver1ck

Any audiophiles on this forum?

Post by m@ver1ck »

I've got about 100K worth of Audio Equipment. Slippery slope - if I had discovered this site earlier, I would have socked more money away - and probably would have been happy with a 10K audio system too.

Still - if any audiophiles here - love to hear what their systems look like...
Summit111

Re: Any audiophiles on this forum?

Post by Summit111 »

Sonos whole house system...wish I’d done it sooner...

Professional musician here...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

Upgraded Dynaco Stereo 70
Silverline Sonatina speakers
NAD CD 538 single disc player

Incredible midrange and accuracy acquired for under $3,000.
jbranx

Post by jbranx »

{Topic is now in Personal Consumer Issues}
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

I bought a 40 year stereo Kenwood ka3500 system last Christmas and got elac speakers. It sounds awesome and cost me under $500. I tested it with much more expensive kef and wharfdale speakers but the much cheaper elacs sounded a lot better.

Is budget the only requirement for an audiophile system?
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Stax headphones and amps. Keep that sound close by :happy

Do also have some mid fi gear like older Rega turntable, Marantz single disc player, Cambridge Audio integrated... Currently looking at maybe getting some Magnepans, or maybe just a higher end pair of Stax Sr 009s.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

There have been a few "audiophile" related threads in the past (easy search).

I'm definitely one. 99% digital... Squeezebox Touch/Oppo 205 into a Bel Canto DAC, Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp, Martin Logan Expression 13A's. I also have an inexpensive turntable, but plan to upgrade later this year.
Is budget the only requirement for an audiophile system?
Although many audiophiles reside at the lunatic fringe of the hobby with $$ spent, it's easy to assemble an excellent system on a budget, especially if buying some/all used gear (Audiogon, Craigslist, eBay, local garage sales, etc.).

Our local audiophile club has members with systems <$5k total which sound as good (arguably better) than some with >$100k invested. It's all about component matching, and appropriate setup for the room/acoustics.

I believe there are some parallels between investing and high-end audio (also photography, watch collecting, and similar "enthusiast" hobbies) that attracts those with OCD tendencies. I wonder if this has ever been studied?
Last edited by sleepysurf on Sat May 25, 2019 10:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 »

You can have an incredible system for $5k used from Audiogon, Craigslist and eBay.

Music Reference RM-9 mk2 amp $1,500 used
4x KT-120 power tubes for RM-9 - $300
Anthem Pre 1 preamp + phono stage, $500 used
Spendor S100 speakers, used, $1,200. Current edition is $12,500 per pair (Classic 100)
VPI Classic turntable + cartridge , new, $1,800
Sony SACD/CD player $200
Cables - $300 (?) probably overpaid :(

I’ve enjoyed this system for years. I got the Spendors 15 years ago. The amp 8 years ago, VPI 7 or 8 years ago, preamp maybe 17 years ago. The only new gear was the turntable and the cheap CD player.

The RM-9, Spendors and VPI were all Stereophile Recommended components in their day. The Spendors and RM-9 were Class A. Audio gear hasn’t really improved much in the last 20-30 years which means this gear is as good as anything today.

One could do worse for $20K and I’d wager even the best $25k systems won’t sound much better.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

I've gone down the rabbit hole.

Fun hobby - the rewards are big.

Years of upgrading, trying new gear out: I'm hearing stuff on my record and CD/SACD collection I've never heard before.

Will...never...give up my physical media.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

BBQ Nut wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:41 am Will...never...give up my physical media.
I’ve gone the other direction. I listen exclusively to TIDAL, except for a few CDs I ripped to my Bluesound server.

In the past, I spent gazillions on Linn Aktiv speakers, amps, preamps, turntables, etc. Gave it all to my kids.

Now, I’m very happy with Anthem Integrated Amp and Martin Logan ESL X and ML sub for my living room music listening. I have spent a good bit on acoustic treatment of my home theater (also based around Anthem).

Btw, if you haven’t played with Anthem’s Room
Correction software, treat yourself. What a wonder!
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Summit111 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:19 pm Sonos whole house system...wish I’d done it sooner...

Summit
A few years back I listened to a Sonos 1 and Sonos 3 player and was very dissapointed by the quality especially when considering the price. I realize much of the cost is related to easy streaming and connect-ability.

I can maybe see a Sonos 1 in a bathroom.

Despite that, I am considering getting a few Sonos amps for my ceiling speakers and a Sonos connect for my dedicated media room.

What is your personal experience with Sonos?
How are you using it?
How do you feel it was an upgrade for you?
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:51 am
BBQ Nut wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:41 am Will...never...give up my physical media.
I’ve gone the other direction. I listen exclusively to TIDAL, except for a few CDs I ripped to my Bluesound server.

In the past, I spent gazillions on Linn Aktiv speakers, amps, preamps, turntables, etc. Gave it all to my kids.

Now, I’m very happy with Anthem Integrated Amp and Martin Logan ESL X and ML sub for my living room music listening. I have spent a good bit on acoustic treatment of my home theater (also based around Anthem).

Btw, if you haven’t played with Anthem’s Room
Correction software, treat yourself. What a wonder!
Glad you enjoy your choice.

Too many dependencies and single points of service interruptions for streaming for my likes - but that's just me. I own it, I play it.

If I go room correction, I'm looking at Room Perfect with a Lyngdorf integrated - maybe. For now, old fashioned room treatments.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:51 am Btw, if you haven’t played with Anthem’s Room Correction software, treat yourself. What a wonder!
I agree. The new ARC Genesis is excellent, and they were smart to make it backwards compatible with many legacy Anthem, Paradigm, and Martin-Logan gear (all "sister" companies).

There's a financial angle here, as the original founders of Paradigm just re-acquired 100% ownership of Paradigm, Martin Logan, and Anthem from Shoreview Industries (the private equity group that most recently owned them). I think that bodes well for those three brands, as it keeps them based in North America.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

I'm not directly answering OP's question in this post, but would like to say something, which is strictly about myself.

I used to be an audiophile, with a lot of equipment (which I won't attempt to price, not even adjusted by measured inflation). Among other things I got interested in music styles that are best enjoyed at high volume.

Today I am no longer an audiophile, not even focusing on softer forms.

Instead, today I am a tinnitus patient.

PJW
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

You all are making me jealous with all the names of audio. :happy

Happy for you all!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I have two rooms with Dali speakers and a very nice Marantz receiver.

I mostly listen to the Sonos 3 in the bedroom. The sound isn’t as good, but it’s voice controlled by Alexa, and soooo convenient...
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:Today I am no longer an audiophile, not even focusing on softer forms.

PJW
I feel for you. My father, an avid music listener, suffered from tinnitus in his later years, and it deprived him of one of his pleasures in life.

I am much more protective of my hearing than I was in the past (eg, wear ear protectors when operating equipment, won’t go to pro sports games, etc). Tinnitus’s causes are, apparently, complicated.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:46 am I'm not directly answering OP's question in this post, but would like to say something, which is strictly about myself.

I used to be an audiophile, with a lot of equipment (which I won't attempt to price, not even adjusted by measured inflation). Among other things I got interested in music styles that are best enjoyed at high volume.

Today I am no longer an audiophile, not even focusing on softer forms.

PJW
Not tinnitus here, but several years of live music, airplane engines, gunfire, etc. made me consider that, perhaps, my hearing isn’t what it once was. So, in preparation for retirement, I took a hard look at everything...including photography, audio, guitar, etc. In one of the audio forums, I found a test that would let me A-B compare various sound quality levels:

http://abx.digitalfeed.net/

Long story short, I am in my late 50’s and can’t tell the difference between any of the samples (my 25 YO son can clearly hear differences). So I sold my audio gear and now, like another poster, just use Sonos, Alexa, and Spotify. My message to you is enjoy your audio hobby and protect your hearing.
Topic Author
m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck »

Most of my listening is low to medium levels - more at low levels. Kids in the house don’t like a din.
Kiddo has actually gotten into classical - violin classes did that to him. So - no more rock. :-(
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Had the Thiel 3.5 with an Adcom amp many years ago. Bought it all the Boglehead way
(used when newer models came out).

When the Adcom blew: a dealer (I believe Innovative Audio)
recommended sky high priced amp/pre amp. Since digital was taking
over the market I sold my Thiel's and bought equipment much less
in the audio realm. With buying/selling it cost me total $2000 for
all my equipment.

I did miss the clarity and coherence of the Thiel's but my taste were
changing. Additionally, more and more of my system was used for video.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:46 am I got interested in music styles that are best enjoyed at high volume.
Sorry to hear about your tinnitus. I'm curious which styles of music you're referring to, but will certainly understand if you don't want to share.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Rob5TCP wrote:I did miss the clarity and coherence of the Thiel's but my taste were changing.
Sorry to be a wise guy, but presumably your tastes weren’t changing to “unclear and incoherent.” Was the greater video emphasis the thing? More bass power sought, greater midrange emphasis for dialogue, etc?

I love my home theater, and won’t change it much, but to be honest, as I get older, I’m looking for a center channel that will really let me understand dialogue (without subtitles) when there’s other high volume stuff going on.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:15 pm
Rob5TCP wrote:I did miss the clarity and coherence of the Thiel's but my taste were changing.
Sorry to be a wise guy, but presumably your tastes weren’t changing to “unclear and incoherent.” Was the greater video emphasis the thing? More bass power sought, greater midrange emphasis for dialogue, etc?

I love my home theater, and won’t change it much, but to be honest, as I get older, I’m looking for a center channel that will really let me understand dialogue (without subtitles) when there’s other high volume stuff going on.
Video required a subwoofer and surround sound rather than stereo.
The Thiel subwoofer was more expensive than the preamp and amp - so
I went with Klipsch speakers and subwoofer for surround sound.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Another audiophile checking in.

Many years ago, I had a Conrad Johnson preamp, not to mention tube amps. I recognize most of the equipment mentioned here - and have probably owned a few.

Currently, I'm just streaming off my home collection of FLAC recordings and CDs.

Remember that you must maintain quality throughout the entire chain (source to ear). The most important points in the system occur when you change media.

So, you need high-fidelity digitizing (A to D converter) and decoding DAC (D to A converter). You also need the right format and sampling rate. My Oppo BDP-103D player handles that just fine.

Once the stream becomes analog again, you need to convert the electrical signal to sound waves over the air to reach your ears. Nothing can reproduce the engineering of the human ear, which spans several octaves from about 20 Hz to 20 KHz+.

That's why I sink most of my money into the front-end processing and back-end speakers (transducers).

I'm in a 5.1 configuration with 4 x Vandersteen IIce speakers, 1 Vandersteen center channel speaker, and a Carver Sunfire 15" sub. My "straight wire with gain" amp is an old Yamaha RX-V2400. It's not the greatest amp, but will do the job for casual listening.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:15 pm

This is a common complaint. Dialogue comes from the center channel and on many theater systems it is also the smallest speaker. Some may recommend that the center channel should be the same as your left and right. We did that with excellent results. Another option is to go into settings and adjust volume for the center channel to make it a few decibels louder then the others. This is what we did before our dedicated theater room and were content with the results.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:36 pm This is a common complaint. Dialogue comes from the center channel and on many theater systems it is also the smallest speaker. Some may recommend that the center channel should be the same as your left and right. We did that with excellent results. Another option is to go into settings and adjust volume for the center channel to make it a few decibels louder then the others. This is what we did before our dedicated theater room and were content with the results.
The previous owner installed quite nice speakers in the walls/ceiling. I replaced a Marantz receiver with an Anthem, and added Martin Logan sub (owner did not leave his sub). I also added bass traps and side reflection absorbing panels. The room has a lot of stone wall, which is wonderful for avoiding standing waves in a smallish room. The only complaint I have, sometimes anyway, is the center channel.

Some day I might break down and install a Martin Logan center, but it’s a bit dicey considering that the rest of speakers are. ETA: hit enter prematurely
Atlantic Technology in walls. Not bad speakers, so I’m reluctant.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:27 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:36 pm This is a common complaint. Dialogue comes from the center channel and on many theater systems it is also the smallest speaker. Some may recommend that the center channel should be the same as your left and right. We did that with excellent results. Another option is to go into settings and adjust volume for the center channel to make it a few decibels louder then the others. This is what we did before our dedicated theater room and were content with the results.
The previous owner installed quite nice speakers in the walls/ceiling. I replaced a Marantz receiver with an Anthem, and added Martin Logan sub (owner did not leave his sub). I also added bass traps and side reflection absorbing panels. The room has a lot of stone wall, which is wonderful for avoiding standing waves in a smallish room. The only complaint I have, sometimes anyway, is the center channel.

Some day I might break down and install a Martin Logan center, but it’s a bit dicey considering that the rest of speakers are. ETA: hit enter prematurely
Atlantic Technology in walls. Not bad speakers, so I’m reluctant.
+1 to EnjoyIt's comments.

I'm not familiar with your room correction software, but Audyssey allows you to cut or boost any of the channels to your preference after the correction has been enabled. Certainly yours can do the same, no? I have three independent AV systems with Denon receivers with different versions of Audyssey and really love it. Two of the three are running phantom centers, and I have no complaints with dialogue. No AV system can overcome natural hearing loss. I recently began wearing hearing aids due to high frequency hearing loss. I am sure there are still some things I am missing as a result, but dialogue has not been a big issue since I acquired the hearing aids--and my speakers are inferior to yours. Perhaps the in wall setup is presenting problems?

As to the OP's question: I do not consider myself an audiophile, but I do enjoy listening to music and having good sound accompanying video. I usually log quite a few hours doing each daily. I have ripped all of my CDs, few of which have been purchased in the past several years. Practically all of my audio listening is via my four Squeezebox players--combination of my CDs and Spotify.
multiham

Post by multiham »

My system in Esoteric Integrated
B&W 804 D's as speakers
PS Audio DAC
Self built music server
JL Audio Sub

Love it. Half of it I bought used, half new (Speakers, sub).
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

I use Sonos with streaming services because it’s just plain easier...My hearing is just not as good as it used to be and I can’t really tell the difference between hi end systems and In my opinion, the Sonos system is very good if you EQ each room and install the correct components...

Sonos Play 1 in living room

Sonos Play 1 in bedroom

Sonos Playbar and Sub connected on TV in family room

Sonos Connect amps for 2 zones of outside passive speakers

Can play music or podcasts in any combination or in total.

Very satisfied with EQ room modeling....

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Tidal MQA-> iMac-USB-> OPPO 205DAC/SACD player-> XLR balanced Line-out-> Sennheiser HDVA600 AMP-> Sennheriser HD650

Oppp 105D SACD player/Tidal streamer > Kimber RCA-> Bryston 9B-ST 5 Channel ->Kimber 8TC cable -> 5x Thiel 2 2 speakers
jpdion

Post by jpdion »

SONOS whole house 4 zones, all owned music on personal cloud, several streaming sources too. One zone is home theater with Denon receiver and 5.1 speaker set up.
Audioarc

Post by Audioarc »

Audio guy. I’ve been in the business for years and also play some music. I prefer to spend money on instruments so I have a “budget” music system of Vandersteen IIc, NAD integrated amp, Rotel CD and Sonos Connect. The gear is old and cost little but it replaced a B&W 802, Levinson, Conrad Johnson setup I sold. I use Deezer mostly and rarely play CDs. Sonos amps with bookshelf and outdoor speakers around the house and a Playbar/Sub/ Play 1s rear for TV streaming. I have friends with magnificent hi end systems that are awesome but I have little interest in sitting and listening to music. I am either playing an instrument and learning music or playing background music while doing something else. FWIW for those who are trying to get coherent center channel sound in surround systems I recommend trying phantom center setting with no center speaker. If your front stereo speakers are placed properly you will hear dialog clearly in the center. More clearly to my ears than having a center speaker.
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Summit111 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:19 pm Sonos whole house system...wish I’d done it sooner...

Summit
Ditto and ditto. Love my Sonos system. Found out about Sonos from a friend a few years ago. Love it!
csm

Post by csm »

No fans of Bang & Olufsen here?

We have a pair of Beolab 5 speakers that deliver incredible sound at both low and high volumes, sometimes one would swear they were listening to live musicians. Unfortunately, we are in the process of moving across the pond and it is not practical to bring them (they are 220 volt and each weigh over 60 kg) so must be sold. We will miss the quality of sound.
lomarica01

Post by lomarica01 »

yes but rather than listing my current gear I am thinking of buying my "last setup" that will take me say 15 years to age 70. thinking of Legacy speakers and class D amps. any recommendations for the amps appreciated.

One comment I have noted over the years, even expensive equipment is a great value because it lasts soooo long. My monster amp will be 25 years old next year, speakers 15 years, still have a Luxman integrated amp now 35 years old yikes!! from college days that I use daily in the summer for outside speakers. the only upgrades needed over time is for the source

thanks for posting this topic
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:24 pm Another audiophile checking in.

Many years ago, I had a Conrad Johnson preamp, not to mention tube amps. I recognize most of the equipment mentioned here - and have probably owned a few.

Currently, I'm just streaming off my home collection of FLAC recordings and CDs.

Remember that you must maintain quality throughout the entire chain (source to ear). The most important points in the system occur when you change media.

So, you need high-fidelity digitizing (A to D converter) and decoding DAC (D to A converter). You also need the right format and sampling rate. My Oppo BDP-103D player handles that just fine.

Once the stream becomes analog again, you need to convert the electrical signal to sound waves over the air to reach your ears. Nothing can reproduce the engineering of the human ear, which spans several octaves from about 20 Hz to 20 KHz+.

That's why I sink most of my money into the front-end processing and back-end speakers (transducers).

I'm in a 5.1 configuration with 4 x Vandersteen IIce speakers, 1 Vandersteen center channel speaker, and a Carver Sunfire 15" sub. My "straight wire with gain" amp is an old Yamaha RX-V2400. It's not the greatest amp, but will do the job for casual listening.
Thank you for such a lucid explanation. It really helps for uneducated readers like me.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Not an audiophile but I still have the Onkyo tuner I bought 27 years ago. I'd like to get rid of the KLH floor speakers but I'm not sure what kind of modern speakers would work with the Onkyo.

I tried hooking it up to my Vizio sound board but it couldn't do much with the flat line signal. The regular speaker outs on the tuner are just those bare wire hookup things.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

A few years ago I picked up the NAD C368 Amp and B&W 685 S2 Bookshelf Speakers.

Back in the 70's I had a Dynaco integrated amp, Advent speakers and a Thorens Turntable with Ortofon cartridge.

Dave
Last edited by Dave55 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

all I was never a high end audiophile because it did not fit my budget, I was more interested in investing in the stock market, yes I had my priorities. :mrgreen:

I do have Kenwood KD 500 turntable, B&K integrated preamp, and amp and Electrovoice speakers, which are ok low-mid range line.

I do have an inexpensive version of RCA shaded dog, "Casino Royale" which I paid for on ebay $10.

https://www.shadeddog.com/labelography/

Link to audio explanations of different shaded dogs:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... ls.396311/

I am curious for those who have distinct tastes are you able to tell the difference between the sound with digital technology today?

also content is more important nevertheless newer performers aren't using the older technology except for few, it would be good to discuss content recordings which are considered analogue equaling digital no?

check out what I stumbled upon do you know about this? http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/v ... s_Back.htm
Last edited by retire2022 on Sun May 26, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Dave55 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:30 pm Back in the 70's I had a Dynaco integrated amp, Advent speakers and a Thorens Turntable with Ortofon cartridge.
I'm not an audiophile but I still have and use my Advents from the 70s. Had to refoam the woofers but they still sound great. I saw something a while back online where people were taking 4 Advents and stacking them. Normal stereo setup but two speakers high on each side, with the top speaker in each stack placed upside down.

The people who did it swore by this setup. Sort of like how we all think our investment allocations are much better than everyone else's. :D
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Chip wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:47 pm
Dave55 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:30 pm Back in the 70's I had a Dynaco integrated amp, Advent speakers and a Thorens Turntable with Ortofon cartridge.
I'm not an audiophile but I still have and use my Advents from the 70s. Had to refoam the woofers but they still sound great. I saw something a while back online where people were taking 4 Advents and stacking them. Normal stereo setup but two speakers high on each side, with the top speaker in each stack placed upside down.
The people who did it swore by this setup. Sort of like how we all think our investment allocations are much better than everyone else's. :D
I didn’t know people still did that. Years ago, I lived in a hovel, with my tubed amp and “Double Advents.” I think it was “The Absolute Sound,” or perhaps “Stereophile” that told the world about this inexpensive, more than the sum of the parts, revelation. I kept those “Double Advents” through some amplifier changes and source changes until I stumbled onto Acoustats, all 7’11” of them, anchored top and bottom to my 8’ ceilings.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

I am also an audiophile. I ripped all of my CD's to FLAC uncompressed format and loaded everything to my Auralic Aries Mini. It is a great music server for only $500. I have Paradigm Tribute 30th Anniversary floor standing speakers ($4,800) that sound great. These are hooked up to a digital class D amp ($1,400) that a friend of mine who sells built for me that we compared to a $10k solid state amp and sounded just as good. My preamp is a Parasound P6 ($1k) which I plan to upgrade at some point. The cables are all Nordost Red Dawn (around $2k for all of the cables).

My wife and I really enjoy the system which has now turned her into an audiophile as well.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

sasquatch12 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:33 pm I am also an audiophile. I ripped all of my CD's to FLAC uncompressed format and loaded everything to my Auralic Aries Mini. It is a great music server for only $500. I have Paradigm Tribute 30th Anniversary floor standing speakers ($4,800) that sound great. These are hooked up to a digital class D amp ($1,400) that a friend of mine who sells built for me that we compared to a $10k solid state amp and sounded just as good. My preamp is a Parasound P6 ($1k) which I plan to upgrade at some point. The cables are all Nordost Red Dawn (around $2k for all of the cables).

My wife and I really enjoy the system which has now turned her into an audiophile as well.
Why were such expensive cables needed.?
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:37 pm
sasquatch12 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:33 pm I am also an audiophile. I ripped all of my CD's to FLAC uncompressed format and loaded everything to my Auralic Aries Mini. It is a great music server for only $500. I have Paradigm Tribute 30th Anniversary floor standing speakers ($4,800) that sound great. These are hooked up to a digital class D amp ($1,400) that a friend of mine who sells built for me that we compared to a $10k solid state amp and sounded just as good. My preamp is a Parasound P6 ($1k) which I plan to upgrade at some point. The cables are all Nordost Red Dawn (around $2k for all of the cables).

I tested many brands of cables from cheap to even more expensive, the Nordost cables gave my system the best sound quality. Even my wife noticed the difference using these cables and thought they sounded best. I know some people will say all cables are the same but after being able to hear the same system with a wide variety of cables there is a very real difference.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

They aren't, but people hear what they want to help justify a purchase :D

http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

cacophony wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:42 am

Went budget on some of the other components and blew $2k on cables; yeah, that is odd. If they believe it makes a difference, although objective research says otherwise, more power to them.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:34 am Went budget on some of the other components and blew $2k on cables; yeah, that is odd. If they believe it makes a difference, although objective research says otherwise, more power to them.
I used to spend more on cables and power conditioners than is sensible. Now, I make sure that my cables are well constructed, but that’s about it.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

I was very skeptical of cables but then - I actually tried some and had a "no ****in way" reaction.

But then, I'm blessed/cursed with acute hearing.

To each their own. It is/should be all about the music, and it is a "hobby" right? :beer
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

BBQ Nut wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:12 am I was very skeptical of cables but then - I actually tried some and had a "no ****in way" reaction.
But then, I'm blessed/cursed with acute hearing.
To each their own. It is/should be all about the music, and it is a "hobby" right? :beer
I once had wonderful hearing, and it’s still better than most of my age cohort.
I thought I heard differences between cables. Perhaps I did. By contrast, I KNOW that I heard beneficial effects of acoustic treatments. On a dollar for dollar basis, acoustic treatments and higher quality room correction software is miles ahead of any other incremental spend. Just my opinion. And, it did enter my thinking before purchasing our house, which has a lot of fieldstone walls — there’s nothing like random surfaces to improve sound.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

cacophony wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:42 am

I tried expensive HDMI cables versus monoprice cheapies. No difference- beautiful picture and good sound for both.

I will never have audiophile equipment or ears so plain cables for me.