[On-going Scams - Post them here]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jayjayc

Re: Scammer pretending to be buyers on Facebook marketplace

Post by jayjayc »

3feetpete wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:44 pm I was selling an item for $1500 on Facebook Marketplace. Buyer said he wanted it at asking price and offered to send a certified check for the amount plus $100 if I took it off market while he sent the check and after the check cleared he would arrange for pickup. The check arrived via FedX and was for $3700 instead of the $1600 agreed upon. Buyer wanted me to pay shipper with the extra money. I'd gotten two other offers with similar phrasing so I was already 99% sure it was a scam before the check came. So I took the check to a local branch of the bank and confirmed that it was fraudulent. Had I deposited the check, it would have cleared but the bank would sooner or later discover the fraud and require me to repay the full amount including the 2,100 I was supposed to send the phony shipper. Besides having my $2,100, the scammer would then have my bank info as well.

Apparently this is a very common scam.
Yes, it's a common scam. When the scammer asked me for my address to send his fake certified check, I gave them the police station's address.
Chip

Re: [On-going Scams - Post them here]

Post by Chip »

MGBMartin wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:05 pm Your relatives email has probably not been compromised.

It is real easy for scammers to spoof an email address.
The email might show from your relatives but the return to address is probably someone else like the scammer.

It might still be good for your relative to verify their email integrity and change the password.
I understand about spoofing, but I think in this case it has been compromised. The entire message header looks like it was legitimately from my relative.

Plus it wouldn't surprise me at all if my relative had an extremely simple and easy to guess password.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Never understood why people post scams. It is common to see on local facebook groups and nextdoor. For sure, there are a bazillion scams out there. But just an ounce of common sense is needed to avoid 99.9% of them. I do notice that the people who do get scammed are often those trying to get top dollar for their junk. For sure if you are greedy and desperate to indulge anyone interested then you will get burned.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Chip wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:26 am
MGBMartin wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:05 pm Your relatives email has probably not been compromised.

It is real easy for scammers to spoof an email address.
The email might show from your relatives but the return to address is probably someone else like the scammer.

It might still be good for your relative to verify their email integrity and change the password.
I understand about spoofing, but I think in this case it has been compromised. The entire message header looks like it was legitimately from my relative.

Plus it wouldn't surprise me at all if my relative had an extremely simple and easy to guess password.
Take a look at the SPF section as it might hold some clues.
Most scammers are lazy and not very sophisticated.
The SPF can be spoofed but not so easy.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
Chip

Post by Chip »

MGBMartin wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:44 am Take a look at the SPF section as it might hold some clues.
Thanks. I don't see an SPF section in the header. But I will take back what I said about it not being a spoof.

I just noticed that the original message had a "From" address of MyRelativesUsualAddress @ domainA.com, but the "Reply To" address was MyRelativesUsualAddress @ domainB.com. So all of the back and forth with the scammer was to domainB.

FWIW, they seem to have abandoned me. Apparently I was being too difficult. :D
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Chip wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:17 pm
MGBMartin wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:44 am Take a look at the SPF section as it might hold some clues.
Thanks. I don't see an SPF section in the header. But I will take back what I said about it not being a spoof.

I just noticed that the original message had a "From" address of MyRelativesUsualAddress @ domainA.com, but the "Reply To" address was MyRelativesUsualAddress @ domainB.com. So all of the back and forth with the scammer was to domainB.

FWIW, they seem to have abandoned me. Apparently I was being too difficult. :D
Glad you figured it out.
That’s what I meant about the from and reply to addresses.
The lack of SPF usually causes most emails services to flag as spam.

I used to get lots of emails that were spoofed not from a relative but from myself.
They would usually contain statements like
We have control of your email because you can see we just sent you a message from your email address followed by demand for some bitcoins.

Good luck with the relatives, sounds like they are shooting the messenger. I hope they have the spam filter enabled at least.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
3feetpete

Re: Scammer pretending to be buyers on Facebook marketplace

Post by 3feetpete »

jayjayc wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:23 pm
3feetpete wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:44 pm I was selling an item for $1500 on Facebook Marketplace. Buyer said he wanted it at asking price and offered to send a certified check for the amount plus $100 if I took it off market while he sent the check and after the check cleared he would arrange for pickup. The check arrived via FedX and was for $3700 instead of the $1600 agreed upon. Buyer wanted me to pay shipper with the extra money. I'd gotten two other offers with similar phrasing so I was already 99% sure it was a scam before the check came. So I took the check to a local branch of the bank and confirmed that it was fraudulent. Had I deposited the check, it would have cleared but the bank would sooner or later discover the fraud and require me to repay the full amount including the 2,100 I was supposed to send the phony shipper. Besides having my $2,100, the scammer would then have my bank info as well.

Apparently this is a very common scam.
Yes, it's a common scam. When the scammer asked me for my address to send his fake certified check, I gave them the police station's address.
After I didn't respond to him. The guy sent me a text saying I was stealing his companies hard earned money and he was going to report me to the sheriffs office, the FBI and the CIA. What a riot!

Then a week later I received an email under a different name saying he'd hacked my computer and was going to divulge all the private information unless I sent him $1200. I ignored that too.

I did report it to the federal internet fraud website but they tell you right there that they aren't going to follow up on anything. They just track the data to look for trends.
mushripu

Post by mushripu »

I am getting messages on whatsapp from different numbers but the same picture of a beautiful girl with different texts like 'Hi are you xyz?' ' hi I am xyzs mom and did you give me tennis lessons last month' basically trying to start coversation!

Then message from a +234 nigeria code but same girl picture with a little more 'exposed' picture.

Then another message from a +880 bangladesh area code which says ' hi there !there is a beatiful girl here with excellent financials who wants to marry and please contact if you are between 27 to 54 years of age'? 😆😁
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Just got this text from “Amazon”

Order Placed AMZ#R7476890 for Tenayh Door With Slider Amount of $1583 will be deducted from your card. Not you call us at (telephone number that is a link)
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
othermike27

Re: Fell victim to scam of thieves splattering BBQ sauce on me

Post by othermike27 »

halfnine wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:32 am There are many scams similar to this. Personally, I think the best approach is whenever your personal space is encroached upon whether its crowds, someone bumps into you, trips in front of you, etc. it is to develop the reaction of putting your hand over your wallet. In the USA this should theoretically not be as difficult to adapt to because culturally there is a personal space. In most other countries personal space isn't so much of a thing so it is easier to become complacent.
I wouldn't do that. It tells the pickpocket behind you exactly where to go.

If you're traveling in crowded places nothing beats a money belt a la Rick Steves.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

othermike27 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:03 pm
halfnine wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:32 am There are many scams similar to this. Personally, I think the best approach is whenever your personal space is encroached upon whether its crowds, someone bumps into you, trips in front of you, etc. it is to develop the reaction of putting your hand over your wallet. In the USA this should theoretically not be as difficult to adapt to because culturally there is a personal space. In most other countries personal space isn't so much of a thing so it is easier to become complacent.

If you're traveling in crowded places nothing beats a money belt a la Rick Steves.
They already know where to go. Pickpockets are low hanging fruit thieves and are not looking to be spotted. They are not going to go through your hand into your pockets or anywhere else because you will definitely feel that and know exactly what is going on. Their whole purpose is based on distraction such that you don't feel anything being taken.

On a separate note, for those still following the thread, there are also places in this world where mob justice greatly exceeds the crime committed. In these places it is best to think about how this will effect your conscience before yelling thief if you are the victim of a scam.
RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf »

Instead of replacing my wallet, I am using a change purse that my Mom made for herself and gave me before she passed away. It is the right size for holding an ID card. It attaches to the inside of my fanny pack and is not easily extracted. I intend to purchase an inexpensive wallet as a decoy for potential pickpockets. I carry little cash -- I had maybe $30 in cash on me when the BBQ thieves ruined my day. My biggest loss was that pricey Kate Spade leather wallet from Nordstrom's and the inconvenience of having to pay $31 to the DMV to replace my Real ID.

At the time, I was imagining that BBQ sauce was dripping all over me and that I should not get into the car because it would make a mess on the car seat. The more I think about the incident, the more I am convinced that the couple were not speaking Spanish, maybe it was Russian or Hungarian -- who knows? Their excited voices, and my not understanding a word they were saying, were more of a distraction than the BBQ sauce splattered on my 10-year old sweatshirt. At one point, I panicked that maybe I was dripping blood -- because I could not understand why they appeared to be so alarmed about the sauce.

I have put a paper towel roll in the trunk of my car -- I used to carry one and looked for it during the commotion. Several people have commented to me on what they think they would have done in that situation. I did not feel threatened and it did not occur to me, at the time, that I needed to defend myself. Otherwise, I could have cracked a bottle of Kedem grape juice on their heads -- that and matzah were in the one grocery bag that appeared to be dripping sauce in the trunk of my car.
scintillator

Post by scintillator »

There's a scam I just came across that I can't figure out. Maybe someone here can fill in the missing pieces for me:

The scammer posts an ad on Craigslist/Facebook Marketplaces selling something, saying to respond with your number and they'll give you a call.
You respond to the post via email and provide your phone number.
They send you a text saying that they need you to verify that you aren't a bot, and their means of doing this is for Google to send you a code, and for you to forward that code to them.
You indeed receive a code from 22000 (Google's verification number), and so to prove you aren't a bot, you forward this code to the scammer.
Then the scammer disappears.

I've looked into it a bit, and some people say the idea is to set up a Google Voice account with your number. I see no upside to this. Unless I'm misunderstanding, Google Voice only forwards calls and texts to your phone from some other number. I don't believe you can see texts or listen to calls that a linked phone receives. Other people say that the scammer is trying to use the code to get access to your Google account, which of course could include sensitive information (including all your emails if you use Gmail). But the problem with this is that they still don't know your Google account or email address—although you responded to their Craigslist ad via email, that email address is scrambled in the Craigslist relay.

So assuming the scammer doesn't already know your email address, how could your forwarding them a verification code from Google benefit them?
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

scintillator wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:07 pm So assuming the scammer doesn't already know your email address, how could your forwarding them a verification code from Google benefit them?
I believe the idea is that the scammer needs "burner" numbers that can't be traced back to them. They're using them to receive calls/texts, so just spoofing random numbers won't work. Google voice can not only redirect calls and texts to another number, but using the app or webpage, can make/receive calls and texts. I use my google voice number to easily type up and send texts on a real keyboard.

Google voice numbers are free, and by forwarding the verif code, the new gvoice number isn't traceable to the spammer's phone #. They can use it for whatever scam they're running and discard it. If the number is compromised, it is not linked to any of their other numbers, so they'd only lose the one number and keep their "business enterprise" running. They want to make it hard for google to shut them down (or the police, for that matter)
scintillator

Post by scintillator »

random_walker_77 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:10 pm
scintillator wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:07 pm So assuming the scammer doesn't already know your email address, how could your forwarding them a verification code from Google benefit them?
I believe the idea is that the scammer needs "burner" numbers that can't be traced back to them. They're using them to receive calls/texts, so just spoofing random numbers won't work. Google voice can not only redirect calls and texts to another number, but using the app or webpage, can make/receive calls and texts. I use my google voice number to easily type up and send texts on a real keyboard.

Google voice numbers are free, and by forwarding the verif code, the new gvoice number isn't traceable to the spammer's phone #. They can use it for whatever scam they're running and discard it. If the number is compromised, it is not linked to any of their other numbers, so they'd only lose the one number and keep their "business enterprise" running. They want to make it hard for google to shut them down (or the police, for that matter)
Thanks for the reply. I'm unclear on a couple pieces still:
1) If my physical cell phone were, say, 111-1111, and my GV number were 888-8888, could I send a text using the GV app/webpage that appeared to come from 111-1111? And could I read texts sent to 111-1111 via the GV app/webpage?
2) Any idea what these burner numbers are being used for? Conversations with drug lords? Taunting the FBI? Obviously the tens of millions of scam calls people receive per day are just VOIP spoofs from India or wherever and not GV accounts, so what is the advantage of a burner number over a spoofed VPN VOIP number?
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

scintillator wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:18 am
random_walker_77 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm unclear on a couple pieces still:
1) If my physical cell phone were, say, 111-1111, and my GV number were 888-8888, could I send a text using the GV app/webpage that appeared to come from 111-1111? And could I read texts sent to 111-1111 via the GV app/webpage?
2) Any idea what these burner numbers are being used for? Conversations with drug lords? Taunting the FBI? Obviously the tens of millions of scam calls people receive per day are just VOIP spoofs from India or wherever and not GV accounts, so what is the advantage of a burner number over a spoofed VPN VOIP number?
1) No, it is reverse of that. A normal user would be able to access the GV stuff via the 111-1111 number. But that is configurable. The scammer doesn't want your phone linked because they lose control, so they leave that part off and just use GV raw.

2) Mostly, it is about getting an USA based number. Most of these come from overseas. Most overseas calls are blocked. By having a USA based number the scammers' world is opened up to them in the USA.

And the advantage of not being spoofed is just that, it is not spoofed. Spoofing is detectable and blockable, especially now that they are improving the protocols.

From what I've read, many of the scams used by these numbers are more personal than the typical robocall. For example: targeting the lonely-heart in a dating scam, or most likely, selling fake stuff on Craigslist with a "local" number. A scammer can't personally engage a buyer on Craigslist with a spoofed number. Here, the buy thinks they are calling someone real in their area code, and when they use the number, they get an actual real person who may be 10 states over, or more likely overseas.
hicabob

perpetual motion

Post by hicabob »

You don't see many perpetual motion scams anymore but I believe this outfit have been at it for a while. Sadly, the wheel seems only available in the UK
https://www.superwheelsystem.com/
Chuckles960

Re: perpetual motion

Post by Chuckles960 »

hicabob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:03 pm You don't see many perpetual motion scams anymore but I believe this outfit have been at it for a while. Sadly, the wheel seems only available in the UK
https://www.superwheelsystem.com/
Good one. Why just bicycles? They could generate energy more broadly and replace fossil fuels.
ddbtoth

Post by ddbtoth »

halfnine wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:44 pm

They already know where to go. Pickpockets are low hanging fruit thieves and are not looking to be spotted. They are not going to go through your hand into your pockets or anywhere else because you will definitely feel that and know exactly what is going on. Their whole purpose is based on distraction such that you don't feel anything being taken.

On a separate note, for those still following the thread, there are also places in this world where mob justice greatly exceeds the crime committed. In these places it is best to think about how this will effect your conscience before yelling thief if you are the victim of a scam.
What an interesting concept. Where do you live, if I may ask?
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I don't know if this was a scam or an honest mistake. But I'll share it anyway.

About a month ago I changed apartments within the same building. Last week AAA sent me a notice that my moving caused an increase in my auto insurance premium. But the increase was only a few dollars, so I was tempted to just accept it without the hassle of arguing with AAA.

This morning I decided to phone them. I explained I still live in the same building as before, just in a different apartment. And my car didn't move. I still park it in the same place I did before, and drive it to the same places I did before. So why the increase?

I talked to an AAA representative for awhile and eventually let him go so he could research the issue. Late this afternoon he phoned back and admitted my premium shouldn't have been changed. Called it a glitch.

Has anyone else experienced situations where a company overcharges you just a little, but not enough for you bother disputing it?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

ddbtoth wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:29 pm

I am assuming the "interesting concept" refers to the mob justice. I have lived in countries on four continents but the relevance is more to places I have traveled than to places I have lived. And to that extent mob justice can be quite prevalent in Africa and Asia. To be fair having previously met a lady who had been pickpocketed on a bus and opted not to make a scene I wasn't convinced with her lack of response. However, my own epiphany on the subject matter happened later when I was in Dar es Salaam and while I was there a kid was nearly beaten to death for being a thief (pickpocket) when in actuality it turned out it wasn't even him. I still think of that lady from time to time and am sure she sleeps well at night.
ddbtoth

Post by ddbtoth »

halfnine wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:05 am
ddbtoth wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:29 pm

I am assuming the "interesting concept" refers to the mob justice. I have lived in countries on four continents but the relevance is more to places I have traveled than to places I have lived. And to that extent mob justice can be quite prevalent in Africa and Asia. To be fair having previously met a lady who had been pickpocketed on a bus and opted not to make a scene I wasn't convinced with her lack of response. However, my own epiphany on the subject matter happened later when I was in Dar es Salaam and while I was there a kid was nearly beaten to death for being a thief (pickpocket) when in actuality it turned out it wasn't even him. I still think of that lady from time to time and am sure she sleeps well at night.
Thank you. I always find it interesting to see other's perspective on justice. It is such a relative term, and means as little, or much, as the force behind it and it's codification.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I think the lack of mob justice here is one of the problems…but that’s for another forum on another site…

I have a non-scam story that had it been a scam they would have had me. I have been a Fedex whatever member for many years. Well, I received an email saying due to changes a regular account needed to be changed to some other type of account, and provided a link. It was all mostly OK (long story of using wrong username and I ended up needing to call them), but someone could have had me. I am used to getting emails from Fedex, used to needing to change accounts for all sorts of companies etc. So seeing yet another dropped my guard since it was a known company, and I blindly clicked on the link to save me the tremendous effort of typing fedex.com in a browser window. Near miss.

I am decently vigilant and way too cocky, so this was a good nonissue to take me down a couple pegs.

Thought I’d share.
ddbtoth

Post by ddbtoth »

Silverado wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:23 am I think the lack of mob justice here is one of the problems…but that’s for another forum on another site…

I have a non-scam story that had it been a scam they would have had me. I have been a Fedex whatever member for many years. Well, I received an email saying due to changes a regular account needed to be changed to some other type of account, and provided a link. It was all mostly OK (long story of using wrong username and I ended up needing to call them), but someone could have had me. I am used to getting emails from Fedex, used to needing to change accounts for all sorts of companies etc. So seeing yet another dropped my guard since it was a known company, and I blindly clicked on the link to save me the tremendous effort of typing fedex.com in a browser window. Near miss.

I am decently vigilant and way too cocky, so this was a good nonissue to take me down a couple pegs.

Thought I’d share.
They are insidious- I work in a large public school system, and we are always getting scammers trying to hack in, had an email from a colleague asking about something and to check a google link document that got me. They got into her email and then it spreads. So frustrating- we spend so much money trying to keep these criminals (we have a huge IT\Computer security department) out that we could spend educating kids.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

My son was sadly scammed out of $1000 Monday by a caller pretending to be from PNC Bank Fraud Prevention (his checking account is at PNC). He was convinced that there was an invalid Zelle charge on his account and the “rep” would help him reverse it, he just needed to register for Zelle using the PNC mobile app and accept a Zelle transaction from PNC to do the “reversal”. Unfortunately , he in reality accepted a Zelle transaction TO the scammer, who promptly hung up. He realized immediately that he’d been scammed.

We called PNC immediately but since Zelle is an instant pay method, the transaction could not be cancelled. We filed a dispute but we’re told it would be denied as he had initiated the transaction, even though the acceptance was obtained fraudulently.

He honestly knows better than to fall for this type of thing because he is pretty tech savvy, but he is also on the autism spectrum and so can be too trusting at times. He usually would come and get me before acting on anything like this; not sure why he didn’t.

After doing a little research, Zelle fraud is rampant. Banks like PNC (who is a part owner of Zelle) have made it way too easy to link Zelle to a bank account and have money go out the door before you know what hit you. It is tied directly into the PNC mobile app, with no friction or sign up delays. The banks for the most part, like PNC, don’t really want to take any responsibility for it even though it is their platform end to end.

While I understand PNC’s position that the transaction was initiated by him, they’ve made it way too easy for scammers and Zelle fraud has now hit the US Senate and the CFPB’s radar, so I expect to see changes coming.

We will likely file a complaint with the CFPB but not sure anything will come from it as legislation is lagging this particular type of fraud - known as authorized push payment fraud in the industry.

Definitely a learning experience albeit an unwelcome one.
RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf »

Kenkat: Thanks for the alert about the Zelle scam. I will let my young adult son know about it. He is on the spectrum, also, and uses Zelle frequently with his friends. For example, they go to dinner, one friend pays for the meal, and the others send a Zelle payment to the "banker."

There were two Zelle payments to my son on his checking account from an unknown source -- I am authorized on his checking account and noticed the discrepancy. I called the bank directly, and they reversed the payments.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

cheese_breath wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:01 pm I talked to an AAA representative for awhile and eventually let him go so he could research the issue. Late this afternoon he phoned back and admitted my premium shouldn't have been changed. Called it a glitch.

Has anyone else experienced situations where a company overcharges you just a little, but not enough for you bother disputing it?
There have been entire class action lawsuits on just such practices (extra fees, hidden charges, overcharging, etc.), so yes, it does happen and others have likely experienced it, whether they realized it or not. For example, there is the infamous class action lawsuit against AT&T over its "administrative fee", which looks like it might actually be reaching a resolution soon, as there was a press release last week about a potential settlement agreement. Side note: that potential settlement agreement was received negatively by consumer-rights advocates.

And most recently (that I'm aware of), in November, the Justice Department sued Uber for charging people more when they took more than two minutes to load into the car ("wait fees"), because that discriminates against people with disabilities who need longer to load into a vehicle. Press release: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice- ... sabilities
sport

Post by sport »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:29 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:01 pm I talked to an AAA representative for awhile and eventually let him go so he could research the issue. Late this afternoon he phoned back and admitted my premium shouldn't have been changed. Called it a glitch.

There have been entire class action lawsuits on just such practices (extra fees, hidden charges, overcharging, etc.), so yes, it does happen and others have likely experienced it, whether they realized it or not. For example, there is the infamous class action lawsuit against AT&T over its "administrative fee", which looks like it might actually be reaching a resolution soon, as there was a press release last week about a potential settlement agreement. Side note: that potential settlement agreement was received negatively by consumer-rights advocates.

And most recently (that I'm aware of), in November, the Justice Department sued Uber for charging people more when they took more than two minutes to load into the car ("wait fees"), because that discriminates against people with disabilities who need longer to load into a vehicle. Press release: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice- ... sabilities
In contrast, I received a notice from State Farm that they had overcharged me on my auto insurance. The notice said they would credit my account for the overcharge plus interest. The amount involved was less than $10.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:29 pm

There have been entire class action lawsuits on just such practices (extra fees, hidden charges, overcharging, etc.), so yes, it does happen and others have likely experienced it, whether they realized it or not. ...
I vaguely remember needing to correct a billing mistake. Thought nothing of it. Just a little mistake and easily fixed.

But this topic reminds me of something I read/forgot years ago ('70s ?). "When a company makes a "billing mistake", and customer doesn't catch/reverse it, then the company has raised their profit on the same service by the amount of the mistake."

[conspiracy theory]Ever notice how most mistakes made by companies are in their favor, and very few are in the customer's favor?[/ct]

I don't remember many billing mistake, where I needed to call the company and say, "You undercharged me."*

Note to self. Be more vigilant.

* One exception, 2yrs back. Bought my new/refurbished office PC from a sole proprietor business. When I got it home, thought I was undercharged because invoice said 24" monitor, but mine measured 27"; we'd talked about several PC options so he could have made a mistake. Took it back to get correct monitor. He reminded me that's what he said he'd do... sell larger monitor for price of the smaller.

If that was psychology on this part, then it worked, as I've bought all my PC stuff from him since.

If anyone is considering buying refurbished office PCs/laptops in the Denver area, PM and I'll supply his info.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

Received this email from Amazon today that folks may find helpful:

We want to help protect you from scammers that attempt to impersonate Amazon. Remember these important clues so that you can identify scams and keep your account and information safe:
1. Never feel pressured to give information (such as your credit card number or account password) over the phone, especially if the call was unexpected. Scammers may try to use calls, texts, and emails to impersonate Amazon customer service. If you're ever unsure, it's safest to end the call/chat and reach out directly to customer support through the Amazon app or website.
2. Never pay over the phone. Amazon will never ask you to provide payment information, including gift cards (or “verification cards”, as some scammers call them) for products or services over the phone.
3. Trust Amazon-owned channels. Always go through the Amazon mobile app or website when seeking customer support or when looking to make changes to your account.
4. Be wary of false urgency. Scammers may try to create a sense of urgency to persuade you to do what they're asking. Be wary any time someone tries to convince you that you must act now.
For more information on how to stay safe online, or to report suspicious communications, visit the Amazon Customer Service page, which can be found in the Help section at the bottom of the Amazon home page.
Sincerely,
Amazon
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Jagger wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:16 pm Received this email from Amazon today that folks may find helpful:

We want to help protect you from scammers that attempt to impersonate Amazon. Remember these important clues so that you can identify scams and keep your account and information safe:
1. Never feel pressured to give information (such as your credit card number or account password) over the phone, especially if the call was unexpected. Scammers may try to use calls, texts, and emails to impersonate Amazon customer service. If you're ever unsure, it's safest to end the call/chat and reach out directly to customer support through the Amazon app or website.
2. Never pay over the phone. Amazon will never ask you to provide payment information, including gift cards (or “verification cards”, as some scammers call them) for products or services over the phone.
3. Trust Amazon-owned channels. Always go through the Amazon mobile app or website when seeking customer support or when looking to make changes to your account.
4. Be wary of false urgency. Scammers may try to create a sense of urgency to persuade you to do what they're asking. Be wary any time someone tries to convince you that you must act now.
For more information on how to stay safe online, or to report suspicious communications, visit the Amazon Customer Service page, which can be found in the Help section at the bottom of the Amazon home page.
Sincerely,
Amazon
I don't know if it's a coincidence, but earlier today I had an online chat with an Amazon CS rep about scammers impersonating Amazon with cold phone calls claiming to be from Amazon, telling me I ordered something. If I didn't, I could "press 1" to speak with a (fake) rep who is trying to steal personal or financial info. I never fall for these bozos and sometimes curse them out, just for fun.

Perhaps this rep and his CS team discussed my issue and the email you got (I didn't get one) is the result of their discussion.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

Something definitely is going on with Amazon. I purchased a Kindle book this evening and received a text and an email stating that some one had logged into my account using Linux from [my city]. I have never received texts or email advising me of logins to my account in the past.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

scrabbler1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:29 pm
Jagger wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:16 pm Received this email from Amazon today that folks may find helpful:

Sincerely,
Amazon
I don't know if it's a coincidence, but earlier today I had an online chat with an Amazon CS rep about scammers impersonating Amazon with cold phone calls claiming to be from Amazon, telling me I ordered something. If I didn't, I could "press 1" to speak with a (fake) rep who is trying to steal personal or financial info. I never fall for these bozos and sometimes curse them out, just for fun.

Perhaps this rep and his CS team discussed my issue and the email you got (I didn't get one) is the result of their discussion.
Jagger, yesterday I got the same email you posted.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Ha, I just got an Email from Shell-GasStation "-You haveWon an $500Shell GasCard..."

and I deleted it without looking.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Here is a recent phishing scam I have received a few times and has appeared in web searches.

It comes as part of a junk text, random phone numbers, claiming to be from AT&T:

"Your May payment was received. Thank you for your business; Please accept these loyalty gifts:"

There is an attachment which can't be for anything good; either malware or an attempt to gain personal info.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Yesterday, I got a phone call on my cell, and I barely glanced at it initially, to see if it was a familiar number.
Almost any "familiar number" I've already "labelled", so it would show as <DH's name> or "CVS pharmacy", etc.

And it displayed: I.C.E.

I'm not sure if any others noticed the news reports just a couple of days ago, about the "phones" ICE is handing out to those awaiting immigration processing. (Please, NO political comments/rants; that's not what this is about.)
The story emphasized that the phones can *not* be used as regular phones: no phone calls, no internet connection... apparently only for incoming messages from ICE, including to send a photo of self within x minutes (or such).
... and how frightened some of the people with these phone-like devices are that they might miss the message (or be late responding).

So, assuming at least some of them also have regular cell phones... having a caller ID show up as "ICE" (or "I.C.E."/etc.) could be something some people would definitely answer and also be likely to "follow the instructions".
:annoyed

I am assuming that US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement is not belatedly wanting to ask me about our foreign travels and purchases, which stopped after Dec, 2019.
Yes, I Googled the phone number, and nothing specific showed up, other than "similar numbers" and (paid) services to "find out who owns ANY NUMBER!"

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Watty

Post by Watty »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:27 am And it displayed: I.C.E.
Probably a scam but some people suggest putting an "I.C.E" entry in your contact list for In Case of Emergency so that if you are hurt or something people can quickly use your cell phone to call someone in your contact list. You might check your cell phone contacts to see if you had set that up and forgot about it.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/new ... cell-phone
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

A fake email was sent to someone in HR at my company... saying that I wanted my paycheck to get auto deposited to a new bank account. The email was supposedly from me... but wasn't.

The shocking thing is... the HR Rep who got the email fell for it! She was about to start the process... despite the fact that the email came from some random Gmail account.

Luckily, someone else in HR heard what was happening, and sent me a confirmation email just to make sure.

So sometimes... it's out of your hands whether you get involved in a scam.

--- Brian
sport

Post by sport »

I just received this email from my religious organization:

"Please be aware that scam emails are being sent out again, mimicking organization email addresses and with clergy and staff names on them. They will say, as an example:

"Hello, Are you less busy at the moment? I got a request for you to manage discreetly. I will be going into a meeting shortly, please no calls so kindly respond back via email."

These emails are not legitimate, please do not respond to them and never buy any gift cards and materials for the organization without confirming verbally with staff and clergy. We appreciate your support, and want to make sure you spend your funds on legitimate requests.

Thank you very much."
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Watty wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:09 am
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:27 am And it displayed: I.C.E.
Probably a scam but some people suggest putting an "I.C.E" entry in your contact list for In Case of Emergency so that if you are hurt or something people can quickly use your cell phone to call someone in your contact list. You might check your cell phone contacts to see if you had set that up and forgot about it.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/new ... cell-phone
You are so right!
In our case, that's DH, and this wasn't him.

We don't label our own numbers that way.
We have main screens that display "ICE call husband <phone number>" or short info like that.
HIS number isn't labeled as "ICE"; I'd want someone to call him, not receive a call from him, etc.

The call goes TO some "ICE" person.
Otherwise, ALL of DH's outgoing phone calls would show up as "ICE" instead of his name/etc.< for those he's calling.

Good point/reminder however, about that "ICE" more generally.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

sport wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:11 pm I just received this email from my religious organization:

"Please be aware that scam emails are being sent out again, mimicking organization email addresses and with clergy and staff names on them. They will say, as an example:

"Hello, Are you less busy at the moment? I got a request for you to manage discreetly. I will be going into a meeting shortly, please no calls so kindly respond back via email."

These emails are not legitimate, please do not respond to them and never buy any gift cards and materials for the organization without confirming verbally with staff and clergy. We appreciate your support, and want to make sure you spend your funds on legitimate requests.

Thank you very much."
I see emails that are purportedly from my pastor all the time. They say something simpler like “Stinky, I need to get in touch with you ASAP. Please email me back.”

Of course, the emails are not from our pastor or his actual email address.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

brian91480 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:25 am A fake email was sent to someone in HR at my company... saying that I wanted my paycheck to get auto deposited to a new bank account. The email was supposedly from me... but wasn't.

The shocking thing is... the HR Rep who got the email fell for it! She was about to start the process... despite the fact that the email came from some random Gmail account.

Luckily, someone else in HR heard what was happening, and sent me a confirmation email just to make sure.

--- Brian
About 10 years ago, several large name electronics companies here in Silly Valley found they were victim of this kind of scam. Their Account Payable people received email notices and letters directing electronic payments for popularly used supplier company was being changed to a new bank. 100's of millions were scammed this way.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Over the last 2 hrs, I have received 7 robo messages left on our house phone's recorder about a supposed "I-phone purchase placed to your Amazon Account, press 1 to confirm the purchase, press 2 to deny the purchase".
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

My father needed to track a UPS package so did a google search for UPS and clicked on a link in the resulting search list. It told him to set up an account first using email address and password and then asked for credit card number. He soon realized that something was up and called his credit card and sure enough there were three small purchases of around $2 each on there that he didn't make already. He has since cancelled his credit card and I walked him through changing his email password as well. I have tried googling UPS and trying to find a fake site but wasn't able to locate it thus far. I'm guessing it was some typo version of the letters UPS set to pop up if someone googles them.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Received an automobile-extended-warrant message on house answering machine (black, rotary, powered copper). Message said to press "7" to be removed from list.

Had call been received on a smartphone, anyone listening live and pressing "7" (smartphone option to delete message), would have been directed to helpful CSR. Sneaky... but nice try.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

brian91480 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:25 am A fake email was sent to someone in HR at my company... saying that I wanted my paycheck to get auto deposited to a new bank account. The email was supposedly from me... but wasn't.

--- Brian
I hope your company's IT was also informed about this breach so they can do a full malware scan of the HR employee's computer, along with refreshing the employee's training on scam detection. If they fell for this scam, odds are they've fallen for another scam that deploys malware. Hopefully, they are of a mindset to learn from their mistakes, so they won't fall for such scams in the future.

My agency's HR office will only accept electronic paperwork through our secured web portal, which requires two-factor authentication. I suppose that's something required at the state level though, rather than any forward-thinking on the part of the agency's HR office. They'll still accept the paper forms at their office with no checking of employee ID, which suggests they might also accept paper forms via postal mail with no verification. So they're still vulnerable to that old-school physical attack vector, were someone so inclined.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

Speaking of HR, I got a call from my HR Benefits to ask if I had made a claim on my disability policy. I have not and told her so. The claim was coming from some organization in my state. I wanted more info, like the person's name. She said all they could do was report it. Frustrating that you cannot go after people that do this kind of stuff.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Got an email recently that was supposedly from the United States Postal Service (USPS). The official USPS logo, the head of an eagle in red, white, and blue was at the top of the email. The email said delivery was being delayed due to an incomplete shipping address. There was a button to click to fix the problem and get the package delivered. The email contained a phony shipping number. It looked pretty legit, and I almost clicked on it, but hesitated because we didn't have any deliveries pending. Did a little research and found that it's a common email used to infect computers with malware. I reported it to the USPS.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

veggivet wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:47 am Has anyone heard about college tuition payments being diverted into hacker accounts? This happened to my GF, whose daughter attends Pitzer College in Claremont, CA. Hackers did an amazing job reproducing the payment interface. We're talking $40K per occurrence. First scam occurred back in November, 2021, but this continued until early January, supposedly. Pretty sure their insurance company is covering this, because the bursar hasn't requested another payment.
Just updating this scam for those who may be interested. Amazingly enough, last Friday my GF received an email stating that the funds that were swiped by the scammers have been credited back to her account. That's right, after 6 months, the bank very nonchalantly says you've got your $40k back. No other information available, and she hasn't heard word one from Pitzer College. My theory is that Pitzer was made whole by their insurance carrier and considers the matter closed.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

veggivet wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:55 am
veggivet wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:47 am Has anyone heard about college tuition payments being diverted into hacker accounts? This happened to my GF, whose daughter attends Pitzer College in Claremont, CA. Hackers did an amazing job reproducing the payment interface. We're talking $40K per occurrence. First scam occurred back in November, 2021, but this continued until early January, supposedly. Pretty sure their insurance company is covering this, because the bursar hasn't requested another payment.
Just updating this scam for those who may be interested. Amazingly enough, last Friday my GF received an email stating that the funds that were swiped by the scammers have been credited back to her account. That's right, after 6 months, the bank very nonchalantly says you've got your $40k back. No other information available, and she hasn't heard word one from Pitzer College. My theory is that Pitzer was made whole by their insurance carrier and considers the matter closed.
So your GF's daughter received $40k worth of "free" education, since the money was returned to her account?

If so, that's a miracle! :D