Quicken 2019 and forward

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
spammagnet

Re: Quicken 2019 and forward

Post by spammagnet »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:19 pm... In 27 years of using Quicken, I've never had downloads down for more than a day or two for any account I have. Of course, there weren't many downloads in the first few years. ...
I remember a PC Users club (or whatever the name of the group was) presentation in Houston where Intuit developers announced a new feature: your bank could send you a 3.5" floppy disk every month so you could import your transactions into Quicken.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

spammagnet wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:13 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:19 pm... In 27 years of using Quicken, I've never had downloads down for more than a day or two for any account I have. Of course, there weren't many downloads in the first few years. ...
I remember a PC Users club (or whatever the name of the group was) presentation in Houston where Intuit developers announced a new feature: your bank could send you a 3.5" floppy disk every month so you could import your transactions into Quicken.
I did Google it..and Quicken was created in 1982....and I thought I was an early adopter in 1994. Of course, some of it was age related. I didn't have a lot of need for financial software when I was 12 years old! :D
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:21 pm
I did Google it..and Quicken was created in 1982....and I thought I was an early adopter in 1994. Of course, some of it was age related. I didn't have a lot of need for financial software when I was 12 years old! :D
IBM didn't introduce the 3.5" (720 KB) disk until 1986. If I recall correctly, that was what they demo'd, so it had to be after that.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:21 pm
I think my first version of Quicken was Quicken for DOS 5.0. Had a sweet Zeos 386SX set up with 1MB Ram, 42MB hard drive and both a 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drive.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Quicken just announced a price increase. From my email:
Dear LadyGeek,

We’re writing to let you know that the price for Quicken Deluxe will increase on June 15, 2022, from $4.33 to $4.99 per month, billed annually.

We’ve added many new features to Quicken over the past two years, and we’re excited about our upcoming plans to make the software even better for you, providing more power and value than ever before.

The price change will not affect you until your next annual renewal on or after June 15, 2022. At that time, your payment method on file will be charged the new rate.

To learn more, visit your account page at any time to see your plan details.

Thank you for being a valued Quicken customer.

Your Quicken Team
The price for Quicken Deluxe will increase 15.2 % on June 15, 2022, from $51.96 to $59.88, priced annually.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:54 pm Quicken just announced a price increase. From my email:
Dear LadyGeek,

We’re writing to let you know that the price for Quicken Deluxe will increase on June 15, 2022, from $4.33 to $4.99 per month, billed annually.

We’ve added many new features to Quicken over the past two years, and we’re excited about our upcoming plans to make the software even better for you, providing more power and value than ever before.

The price change will not affect you until your next annual renewal on or after June 15, 2022. At that time, your payment method on file will be charged the new rate.

Your Quicken Team
The price for Quicken Deluxe will increase 15.2 % on June 15, 2022, from $51.96 to $59.88, priced annually.
I used to pay $29-39 for 3 years pre 2018, I don't find the software to be 5-6X better, I'm thinking of not renewing as mine expires in a few days. I really hate the popularity of subscription models on things you used to buy once for a useful period of time.

But I'm wondering, if you don't renew, do they start offering discounts, and do the disounts get better and better with time of not renewing?
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Kagord wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:47 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:54 pm Quicken just announced a price increase. From my email:
Dear LadyGeek,

Your Quicken Team
I used to pay $29-39 for 3 years pre 2018, I don't find the software to be 5-6X better, I'm thinking of not renewing as mine expires in a few days. I really hate the popularity of subscription models on things you used to buy once for a useful period of time.

But I'm wondering, if you don't renew, do they start offering discounts, and do the disounts get better and better with time of not renewing?
It goes on sale all the time. Here's an offer (expired) for $27. Just keep your eyes open.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15790582-quick ... rchV2Algo1
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

GuyInFL wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:00 am
Dear LadyGeek,

Your Quicken Team

It goes on sale all the time. Here's an offer (expired) for $27. Just keep your eyes open.

I've found some that are boldly advertised as $39/year, but then in the fine print is something "1st year new subcribers only, cannot be used for renewal". I really don't understand why then don't word it for what it is...IE: $39/1st year, then $59/after 1st year, and please expect price hikes thereafter.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Dear LadyGeek,

Your Quicken Team

I just renewed. I bought it on Newegg for just under $30. Quicken has discounts, but it always seems cheaper to get it elsewhere.

They make more and more updates....that doesn't mean it is better. I've seen more bugs/issues in the last 6 months than at any other time in the 25+ years I've used Quicken. I cannot think of one substantial improvement they've made in years that is useful to me. As I said before, this is a 25+ year old product...they just change colors and move things around. There are improvements I would like, especially around reporting. Things that should be there. Like where has my spending changed the most over the last x months/years.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

I switched to Quicken for Mac when I departed with my last Windows machine. They have been improving this version over the past couple of years---I am paraphrasing some BH post on here that Quicken is a terrible program, but it is better than all the rest.

If I look at my house value and gas prices the price delta seems about right.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:21 am
Dear LadyGeek,

Your Quicken Team

I just renewed. I bought it on Newegg for just under $30. Quicken has discounts, but it always seems cheaper to get it elsewhere.

They make more and more updates....that doesn't mean it is better. I've seen more bugs/issues in the last 6 months than at any other time in the 25+ years I've used Quicken. I cannot think of one substantial improvement they've made in years that is useful to me. As I said before, this is a 25+ year old product...they just change colors and move things around. There are improvements I would like, especially around reporting. Things that should be there. Like where has my spending changed the most over the last x months/years.
Respectfully disagree, I switched from Windows to a Mac Mini a little more than a year ago. I was a only a bit reluctant to make a change because Quicken for Mac was reputed to be lacking. Since going private Quicken has an update every month and it really has not only improved but does
everything I could imagine very well. I just updated my subscription via Sam's Club and really it's my favorite and most used software.

What bugs or issues are you having?

W
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Youngblood wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:14 pm

Respectfully disagree, I switched from Windows to a Mac Mini a little more than a year ago. I was a only a bit reluctant to make a change because Quicken for Mac was reputed to be lacking. Since going private Quicken has an update every month and it really has not only improved but does
everything I could imagine very well. I just updated my subscription via Sam's Club and really it's my favorite and most used software.

W
Schwab downloads were broken for many people (not sure if all) for more than a month a few months ago. My Citi credit card shows a red flag after downloading indicating a new transaction downloaded but 75% of the time there are no new transactions to accept. When I am in my checking register and accepting downloaded transactions and finish if I move to another account quickly it goes there and then goes back to the checking account. These are just off the top of my head recently.

What new features have you gotten that you really love? I honestly can't think of one major feature that I find useful. I can look up my home value on Zillow. One feature they removed (I don't remember when) was you used to be able transaction download while using Quicken. That is gone. I tried the bill feature (get bills coming due from certain companies) and it didn't work for the very large electric company that they said they support even though I could login and see the bills on the company website.

As I said earlier, I use the software a lot and for a long time and overall it is good. I just don't see vast improvements regardless of how many updates they push out.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:24 pm

W
Schwab downloads were broken for many people (not sure if all) for more than a month a few months ago. My Citi credit card shows a red flag after downloading indicating a new transaction downloaded but 75% of the time there are no new transactions to accept. When I am in my checking register and accepting downloaded transactions and finish if I move to another account quickly it goes there and then goes back to the checking account. These are just off the top of my head recently.

What new features have you gotten that you really love? I honestly can't think of one major feature that I find useful. I can look up my home value on Zillow. One feature they removed (I don't remember when) was you used to be able transaction download while using Quicken. That is gone. I tried the bill feature (get bills coming due from certain companies) and it didn't work for the very large electric company that they said they support even though I could login and see the bills on the company website.

As I said earlier, I use the software a lot and for a long time and overall it is good. I just don't see vast improvements regardless of how many updates they push out.
I don't have a Schwab account so... I do have a Citi and no problems with downloading and seeing new transactions. Sometimes on any account I forget
to click on the blue dot (Quicken for Mac) and then the mark for new download doesn't go away until I do. One expense was uncategorized and until I accepted or changed that the dot for new transaction download remained.

I use Quicken for income reminders but I use Fidelity bill pay and credit cards for autopay for everything else.

As Quicken is now, I love the daily dashboard that shows each security l have listed and the gains and losses both in % and $ for the day. I also like the top ten movers listing (my securities) and the allocation by security as a percentage and an amount of my total portfolio. Of course, it also lists each asset class as a percentage of all investible $.

I like checking the Net-worth report on occasion but the report I have created and saved that I use the most is the income vs. expense report.

Two of the newest additions are the easy answer reports and the learning center.

Recently improved are the choices you get when you click a security within your portfolio. The choices are: edit security, edit share price and security overview. Try these, they are greatly improved and essentially provide everything you would want on a security including a Morningstar panel.

Funny, in the Mac edition the only color I can see to change is dark/light setting.

:D
KRP

Post by KRP »

Youngblood wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:25 pm

W

I don't have a Schwab account so... I do have a Citi and no problems with downloading and seeing new transactions. Sometimes on any account I forget
to click on the blue dot (Quicken for Mac) and then the mark for new download doesn't go away until I do. One expense was uncategorized and until I accepted or changed that the dot for new transaction download remained.

I use Quicken for income reminders but I use Fidelity bill pay and credit cards for autopay for everything else.

As Quicken is now, I love the daily dashboard that shows each security l have listed and the gains and losses both in % and $ for the day. I also like the top ten movers listing (my securities) and the allocation by security as a percentage and an amount of my total portfolio. Of course, it also lists each asset class as a percentage of all investible $.

I like checking the Net-worth report on occasion but the report I have created and saved that I use the most is the income vs. expense report.

Two of the newest additions are the easy answer reports and the learning center.

Recently improved are the choices you get when you click a security within your portfolio. The choices are: edit security, edit share price and security overview. Try these, they are greatly improved and essentially provide everything you would want on a security including a Morningstar panel.

Funny, in the Mac edition the only color I can see to change is dark/light setting.

Quicken & Schwab replaced their connection protocol to improve security, not that long ago (I read about it here on bogleheads!), but I can see how people might have missed what was happening (it required dropping all connections and doing setup anew, including an interaction with Schwab). Other than that transition, haven't had a problem with Quicken<-> Schwab in decades of use, so I think that one transition was not well publicized or understood.

Interestingly, Cloudflare (internet) security had an impact on Quicken transaction downloading (kept failing with no particular error) for a different bank (who was using Cloudflare to protect their web portal, but was impacting Quicken connections too). Took a while to figure it out and notify the bank, after which they adjusted their Cloudflare config (took a few tries). Not really a Quicken problem, but it felt like it initially.

Add me to the group that switched from Windows Quicken to MacOS Quicken (an upside to the subscription is the ability to use both versions). I posted about that before on another thread in the last year, but there were only two downsides (biggest one is having to manually enter ESPP transaction sets, which isn't hard given I have prior examples), but now that it's been about a year, I've realized the MacOS version actually has a better UI also -- many things are faster/easier to get done or rework.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

KRP wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:39 pm

W

Quicken & Schwab replaced their connection protocol to improve security, not that long ago (I read about it here on bogleheads!), but I can see how people might have missed what was happening (it required dropping all connections and doing setup anew, including an interaction with Schwab). Other than that transition, haven't had a problem with Quicken<-> Schwab in decades of use, so I think that one transition was not well publicized or understood.

Interestingly, Cloudflare (internet) security had an impact on Quicken transaction downloading (kept failing with no particular error) for a different bank (who was using Cloudflare to protect their web portal, but was impacting Quicken connections too). Took a while to figure it out and notify the bank, after which they adjusted their Cloudflare config (took a few tries). Not really a Quicken problem, but it felt like it initially.

Add me to the group that switched from Windows Quicken to MacOS Quicken (an upside to the subscription is the ability to use both versions). I posted about that before on another thread in the last year, but there were only two downsides (biggest one is having to manually enter ESPP transaction sets, which isn't hard given I have prior examples), but now that it's been about a year, I've realized the MacOS version actually has a better UI also -- many things are faster/easier to get done or rework.
I think you are being kind because it may not have impacted you. Schwab is one of the largest brokerages. If you go onto the Quicken support site and community you will see that it was a mess. A proper transition is planned for and smooth. Nothing I did that they recommended (along with thousands of other people) worked for weeks. As I said above, I don't think it affected all customers.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

W

I have a 3 fund portfolio so any stock stuff really doesn't benefit me.

Don't you see your net worth in the account bar on the left? It is always on the screen for me.

Aren't the Easy Answer reports just the same old reports with some simplified criteria? I guess it saves you a 20 seconds because you don't have to go to the customize screen. You can easily use any existing report and customize it and save it and they show under "My Saved Reports" and that has a lot more flexibility.

Some of the new features are just not needed like telling me my credit score or home value. I can do that easily without Quicken.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:17 am Aren't the Easy Answer reports just the same old reports with some simplified criteria?
Pretty much, yes. I think Easy Answers mainly benefits new users who are trying to figure out which report they need to look at. It's not something I'll use personally - I already have saved reports for the ones I use regularly, but then I'm a long-time user who's already climbed up the learning curve.

Out of all the recent changes to Quicken Mac, I think the ones regarding asset allocation will be the most useful to me. In previous years I've used a spreadsheet to figure out the current asset allocation across my various acounts, now I can just get those numbers straight from Quicken. I'd like to be able to tell Quicken my target asset allocation & have it tell me how far off I am from that, hopefully they will add that in the future.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Gryphon wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:54 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:17 am Aren't the Easy Answer reports just the same old reports with some simplified criteria?
Out of all the recent changes to Quicken Mac, I think the ones regarding asset allocation will be the most useful to me. In previous years I've used a spreadsheet to figure out the current asset allocation across my various acounts, now I can just get those numbers straight from Quicken. I'd like to be able to tell Quicken my target asset allocation & have it tell me how far off I am from that, hopefully they will add that in the future.
They have a portfolio rebalancer in the Windows version. You go to Portfolio->AA->Rebalance Portfolio. It tells you $ amounts you need to add/subtract from each asset class.
KRP

Post by KRP »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:11 am
KRP wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:39 pm

W

I think you are being kind because it may not have impacted you. Schwab is one of the largest brokerages. If you go onto the Quicken support site and community you will see that it was a mess. A proper transition is planned for and smooth. Nothing I did that they recommended (along with thousands of other people) worked for weeks. As I said above, I don't think it affected all customers.
Not being kind, as I said it "was not well publicized or understood". That's a professional failure to manage a major transition properly.
I'm not sure I'm ready to call it quits over this mishandled transition given prior decades of smooth service...I'm hopeful it's an exception.
KRP

Post by KRP »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:17 am

W

Don't you see your net worth in the account bar on the left? It is always on the screen for me.

Aren't the Easy Answer reports just the same old reports with some simplified criteria? I guess it saves you a 20 seconds because you don't have to go to the customize screen. You can easily use any existing report and customize it and save it and they show under "My Saved Reports" and that has a lot more flexibility.

Some of the new features are just not needed like telling me my credit score or home value. I can do that easily without Quicken.
There are many years where I pull Quicken along to negligible benefit. But periodically something arises, like a Grandparent funded 529 account suddenly shows up for the kid who's headed off to college, and I find I'm already 95% prepared to cope with the tracking needs. 8-)
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, the net worth is always in the account bar on the left. What I was saying is that I like using the reports feature of seeing net worth over time as well as other reports I have set up. The table I was referring to was the one of investable $ and not net worth.

I think having different options in viewing and using is overall a plus especially when you consider the whole rang of users from newbies to highly experienced.

I'm just saying that for me, this is a polished and very useful tool that I consider worth the price of a subscription fee and responding to those who
are resentful of that.

Plus, every single thing in regards to finances is there for one of my daughters and future executor to find absolutely everything including addresses, safe deposit boxes, contact phone numbers, the lawyer who has a copy of our will, etc.

All that and I enjoy using it while keeping everything up to date should changes occur.

Enjoy
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Youngblood wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:38 pm :
Yes, the net worth is always in the account bar on the left. What I was saying is that I like using the reports feature of seeing net worth over time as well as other reports I have set up. The table I was referring to was the one of investable $ and not net worth.

I think having different options in viewing and using is overall a plus especially when you consider the whole rang of users from newbies to highly experienced.

I'm just saying that for me, this is a polished and very useful tool that I consider worth the price of a subscription fee and responding to those who
are resentful of that.

Plus, every single thing in regards to finances is there for one of my daughters and future executor to find absolutely everything including addresses, safe deposit boxes, contact phone numbers, the lawyer who has a copy of our will, etc.

All that and I enjoy using it while keeping everything up to date should changes occur.

Enjoy
As I've said before, I use Quicken daily and can't imagine not having it, but I am still disappointed compared to what I want it to do. I used to design software though so I am probably very picky.

One thing that drives me nuts is if I do a report, say expenses, put in 6/25/2020-6/24/2022, group by year to compare expenses over a couple years it gives me 6/25/2020-12/31/2020, 1/1/2021-12/31/2021, 1/1/2022-6/24/2022, In other words, it gives me 3 data points 2 of which are for 6 months and 1 is for 12 months so I cannot really compare without additional work/steps.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:03 pm
Youngblood wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:38 pm
As I've said before, I use Quicken daily and can't imagine not having it, but I am still disappointed compared to what I want it to do. I used to design software though so I am probably very picky.

One thing that drives me nuts is if I do a report, say expenses, put in 6/25/2020-6/24/2022, group by year to compare expenses over a couple years it gives me 6/25/2020-12/31/2020, 1/1/2021-12/31/2021, 1/1/2022-6/24/2022, In other words, it gives me 3 data points 2 of which are for 6 months and 1 is for 12 months so I cannot really compare without additional work/steps.
That may just be the difference. I tend to blame myself and not the program. LOL
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Has Sam's Club dropped Quicken? I saw it last month for ~$40 but searches for it now come up empty.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I got an email from Quicken saying that I need to change my connection method for my Chase checking account by 9/26. After I change it, Chase Bill Pay in Quicken will no longer work. What exactly does that mean? I enter payments in the register with "Send" in the check number field. Is that different or the same as Chase Bill Pay?

If I have to enter payments in the Chase app or website and can no longer do it in Quicken, that is a major downgrade. Also, the communication should be better as to what exactly Chase Bill Pay is.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:10 pm I got an email from Quicken saying that I need to change my connection method for my Chase checking account by 9/26. After I change it, Chase Bill Pay in Quicken will no longer work. What exactly does that mean? I enter payments in the register with "Send" in the check number field. Is that different or the same as Chase Bill Pay?

If I have to enter payments in the Chase app or website and can no longer do it in Quicken, that is a major downgrade. Also, the communication should be better as to what exactly Chase Bill Pay is.
That’s exactly what it means. You will have to enter bill payments in a Chase interface.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

8foot7 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:07 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:10 pm I got an email from Quicken saying that I need to change my connection method for my Chase checking account by 9/26. After I change it, Chase Bill Pay in Quicken will no longer work. What exactly does that mean? I enter payments in the register with "Send" in the check number field. Is that different or the same as Chase Bill Pay?

That’s exactly what it means. You will have to enter bill payments in a Chase interface.
Thanks. Very aggravating. So much for a subscription giving me all these new benefits/features. They want you to pay for Quicken Bill Pay.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

cbeck wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:25 pm
ronin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:17 pm My guess is it’s only a matter of time before consumer oriented desktop as a service type cloud offerings become more prevalent which will make doing things like the above much easier for the general user.
I look forward to the day when all I need to own is a cheap chromebook and an account in the cloud.
I can relate as we are already there. Simple iPad with bank and Vanguard in the cloud. We stopped using Quicken 15 years ago after a decade of use.

Simplicity and less stress with no regrets is key to a happy financial and non-financial life.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:10 pm

Thanks. Very aggravating. So much for a subscription giving me all these new benefits/features. They want you to pay for Quicken Bill Pay.
I recall this years back as well. As an alternative, I setup ACH automatic payments with vendors and our bank 20 years ago and never had one issue or any fees to date. Of course back then and setup or changes involved completing forms and providing voided checks. Today it involves logging in and updating!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
exarkun

Post by exarkun »

Looks to me that it is due to a change from Chase.

What is happening?
Chase is discontinuing Direct Connect and Express Web Connect, and updating to a new method of providing data to applications like Quicken, called EWC+. Going forward, you'll use a bank-hosted sign-in form to authorize downloads. The overall process for adding accounts and downloading is the same, but the screen you use to sign in to Chase will look different.

For your security, Chase may periodically request that you reauthorize your accounts in Quicken by signing in again. This may happen every 90 days or so.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

exarkun wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:45 pmLooks to me that it is due to a change from Chase.

What is happening?
Chase is discontinuing Direct Connect and Express Web Connect, and updating to a new method of providing data to applications like Quicken, called EWC+. Going forward, you'll use a bank-hosted sign-in form to authorize downloads. The overall process for adding accounts and downloading is the same, but the screen you use to sign in to Chase will look different.

For your security, Chase may periodically request that you reauthorize your accounts in Quicken by signing in again. This may happen every 90 days or so.
Schwab recently switched to the same or similar setup for Quicken. I'm guessing that Chase is following the same path. This is the support article for Schwab on the Quicken support website for readers that don't have a Schwab account and therefore haven't seen this, um, upgrade: https://www.quicken.com/support/errors- ... b-accounts
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

exarkun wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:45 pm

Looks to me that it is due to a change from Chase.

What is happening?

We don't know the whole story. My guess is Quicken was previously paying Chase and they chose not to anymore.
But who knows.
billaster

Post by billaster »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:56 pm We don't know the whole story. My guess is Quicken was previously paying Chase and they chose not to anymore.
But who knows.
I think it's the other way around. Banks had to pay Quicken to link to their bill payment system. Some banks paid for this as a service to their customers but many other banks charged their customers a fee, like $8 a month, to connect through Quicken. I think Chase got tired of paying Quicken. If you have a complaint about reduction of service, it's probably your bank, not Quicken.

The charge is only for linking bill payment, which requires two-way communication. There is no fee for downloading transactions.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

billaster wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:10 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:56 pm We don't know the whole story. My guess is Quicken was previously paying Chase and they chose not to anymore.
But who knows.
I think it's the other way around. Banks had to pay Quicken to link to their bill payment system. Some banks paid for this as a service to their customers but many other banks charged their customers a fee, like $8 a month, to connect through Quicken. I think Chase got tired of paying Quicken. If you have a complaint about reduction of service, it's probably your bank, not Quicken.

The charge is only for linking bill payment, which requires two-way communication. There is no fee for downloading transactions.
Are there a lot of other major banks that Quicken will support bill pay for free?

I can write a script to schedule bill pays through Chase. Odd Quicken Cannot.

IMO, one of the main benefits of Quicken is you don't have to go to all kinds of apps or websites to do/see your finances. I'll live with it....because I don't have any good alternative.
exarkun

Post by exarkun »

I had to reauthorize my chase accounts with the new method this morning. It was very simple. Looks like it also enables new accounts to be added automatically (even replacement cards) which is a new feature.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

exarkun wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:44 am I had to reauthorize my chase accounts with the new method this morning. It was very simple. Looks like it also enables new accounts to be added automatically (even replacement cards) which is a new feature.
I had a monthly payment sent to Chase via Quicken not made last month. The payment has been being made for years without issue. When I went into the scheduled reminder/payment, the auto enter box was unchecked. I still haven't heard from Quicken but I am almost positive it was a bug in one of their many updates. I haven't touched the reminder since January (I have to update the amount each January).

I've migrated that payment directly to Chase since at some point (which no one seems to know) the ability to send online payment orders from Quicken to Chase will stop working. I am not sure why Chase doesn't have a date for this.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

exarkun wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:44 amI had to reauthorize my chase accounts with the new method this morning. It was very simple. Looks like it also enables new accounts to be added automatically (even replacement cards) which is a new feature.
That adds new accounts to the list you allow on the Chase website but doesn't necessarily add a new account in Quicken. I'm not certain but do believe you have to reset the account in Quicken for the new account to be added to your account list.

If replacing a card due to loss or whatever, the bank moves the statement amount and pending transactions over to the new one. (They may include cleared but not closed transactions, as well.) I find it easier to just deactivate the account in Quicken, then reactivate it and link the new account number to the same account in Quicken, rather than closing the old one and opening a new one. It will balance correctly when the next statement posts.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

billaster wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:10 pm
But who knows.

Chase charges me $12 to connect one business checking account to quicken. This started relatively recently (within the past 2 years) despite my using quicken with this account for 10+ years previously without a charge. This charge does not appear on any of my other many accounts (trust, non-profit, several personal checking, etc).

I have been too lazy to find out if/how I can avoid this charge or why it started. I was not able to find a notice for this charge (e.g. on a fee list) but didn't do an exhaustive search. Anyway, $12 a month is irritating and I'm wondering if there are any other quicken users getting charged this fee?

Edited to add: I've never used bill pay through quicken, but perhaps this feature is enabled and thus the charge?
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
ee_guy

Post by ee_guy »

For those with some programming background, you can convert a CSV file to QIF for download into Quicken. This has the added security benefit of not having to a link between Quicken and the financial institution. I do this when importing transactions from Vanguard and Fidelity.

There are CSV to QIF utilities on the web but I haven't tried any of those.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Off quicken now for 2 months, just doing things in a spreadsheet. I no longer have to go through all the data connection hassle, and issues from importing data. I think I'm in a better place now.

As the world moves towards subscriptions (like BMW now charging an $18 monthly subscription fee to control seat heating functionality in your car), I choose not to participate in this transition from ownership to renting.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

Kagord wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 am Off quicken now for 2 months, just doing things in a spreadsheet. I no longer have to go through all the data connection hassle, and issues from importing data. I think I'm in a better place now.

As the world moves towards subscriptions (like BMW now charging an $18 monthly subscription fee to control seat heating functionality in your car), I choose not to participate in this transition from ownership to renting.
I keep subscriptions to a minimum as well especially for entertainment, but I also don't value my time at $0/hour. I get $51.99 value per year out of Quicken because it avoid spending many extra hours per year using a spreadsheet (at least for me, your Quicken use case may be different).
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

quietseas wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:46 am
Kagord wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 am Off quicken now for 2 months, just doing things in a spreadsheet. I no longer have to go through all the data connection hassle, and issues from importing data. I think I'm in a better place now.

I keep subscriptions to a minimum as well especially for entertainment, but I also don't value my time at $0/hour. I get $51.99 value per year out of Quicken because it avoid spending many extra hours per year using a spreadsheet (at least for me, your Quicken use case may be different).
Agreed (though I typically find a deal for around $30/yr). I have around 6 brokerage accounts (taxable, HSA, tIRA, Roth, etc.), one checking account and probably 5 credit cards and I don't want to manually download for all those. Not to mention investment tracking. I guess if you only download monthly it isn't too bad, but I like updating close to daily.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:39 am
(though I typically find a deal for around $30/yr).
Is this still possible? I thought they locked down the ability to use these deals for renewals. Has anyone done this in the last few months?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

quietseas wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:57 am
Is this still possible? I thought they locked down the ability to use these deals for renewals. Has anyone done this in the last few months?
Yes. I renewed in April for $29.76.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:02 am
This one at Staples is $35.99

https://www.staples.com/quicken-deluxe- ... t_24463601

However it says new subscribers only, and the comments state that when people enter the activation code received with this purchase it is rejected, says invalid for renewal and one has to request a paper check refund from Quicken.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

quietseas wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:19 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:02 am
This one at Staples is $35.99

https://www.staples.com/quicken-deluxe- ... t_24463601

However it says new subscribers only, and the comments state that when people enter the activation code received with this purchase it is rejected, says invalid for renewal and one has to request a paper check refund from Quicken.
I got mine from Newegg. I don't see deals that work for existing subscribers real frequently. I'll post if I do see one. What I would say is unless your current subscription is almost out, I would wait. What I bought is currently $60 at Newegg.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Sam's had it for ~$40 early in the year, then it disappeared. I haven't found a copy available at a discount for renewing customers for months.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

Amazon has the continuing subscriber version for 10% off $53.89 plus tax and 5% back on my Chase Amazon card so I went ahead and bought it since the subscription is due in a few weeks.
exarkun

Post by exarkun »

stan1

Post by stan1 »

I was prompted to do the Chase credit card migration tonight. Followed directions, logged into the Chase site and selected the 4 credit card accounts. Quicken would not link the online accounts to the existing accounts, wanted to add them as new.

I stopped and saved a full backup.

Then I deactivated the 4 Chase credit card accounts separately and tried again. This time the correct online accounts were linked to their existing Quicken account as expected.