Quicken 2019 and forward

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
protagonist

Re: Quicken 2019 and forward

Post by protagonist »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:13 pm You don't think your data is already accessible via the internet? With any institution that has an online viewing mechanism it is internet accessible.
No, Michael, I'm not quite as stupid as you might think *laughing*
I still prefer my data in my own hands. And I don't like the idea of having to maintain a subscription to a service in order to use it in the future (that could certainly become an issue, no? Who knows where technology is headed). I'm a less tempting target than Intuit. And I don't know what the future may bring.
You can make a valid argument, I suppose, for data being safer at home or in the cloud. Chacun a son gout. Plus, I go places where I don't have internet service.

My finances are very simple. Doing it by hand keeps me on my toes.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Reminder that Intuit doesn't own Quicken anymore, and if you have a message for them that you feel rises to the level of writing the CEO, scroll down to the bottom of this page: https://www.quicken.com/about-us
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

protagonist wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:27 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:13 pm You don't think your data is already accessible via the internet? With any institution that has an online viewing mechanism it is internet accessible.
No, Michael, I'm not quite as stupid as you might think *laughing*
I still prefer my data in my own hands. And I don't like the idea of having to maintain a subscription to a service in order to use it in the future (that could certainly become an issue, no? Who knows where technology is headed). I'm a less tempting target than Intuit. And I don't know what the future may bring.
You can make a valid argument, I suppose, for data being safer at home or in the cloud. Chacun a son gout. Plus, I go places where I don't have internet service.

My finances are very simple. Doing it by hand keeps me on my toes.
Again, my financial data is not at Quicken. Wherever you have accounts your data is at risk for breaches whether you use Quicken or not.
yvette

Post by yvette »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:33 pm I don't know what caused that error in the first place, but deactivating / reactivating the account fixed it.

Edit the account details --> Online Services --> Deactivate

This disconnects you from Citibank. Activate the account and enter the login info. Quicken will find the account (link to existing).

It will proceed to download a bunch of existing transactions and change your opening balance. Just be prepared for that.

Tip: When you want to delete a downloaded transaction, select the Edit button and the drop-down list appears. Just hit the "D" key (Delete) then "Y" (Yes to confirm). It's much quicker than using the mouse to delete. (You still need the mouse to select the drop-down list.)
Thank you!
jasonp99

Post by jasonp99 »

Hebell wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:30 pm
TechieTechie wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 am Does anyone have 2017 and earlier locally stored on your machine? Can you upload bulk transactions via CSV/excel files? I've heard for items out of support window, you can no longer log in (which would be problematic).

But if the functionality still works, I'd rather get an older version and work 100% offline and not have to pay a recurring subscription rate. I really only want it to run some basic analysis on spending trends across 5 or 6 different financial institutions.

TIA
I use quicken premier 2016 still, and even migrated it to a new computer. I like the ROI features for investments that you can't get in the deluxe versions. To answer your question, I use CVS imports for pricing of securities, but not for transactions. (Exporting from Morningstar).
I have Deluxe 2016 on my Mac and don't use any automated download functions of Quicken. I do upload security prices via CSV (from Google xls) and also upload credit card/investment transactions via QIF (QFX from bank/brokerage, then convert to QIF). That has worked fine for many years now.

This version of Quicken has two annoying bugs not not annoying enough to move to anything newer. 1 is that it won't let me enter a calendar transaction for the future for automatic entry unless I first set it to recurring, then set to automatic entry, then turn off recurring. Second is that running a report for estimated cap gains will crash the tool.
cbeck

Running Quicken in the cloud

Post by cbeck »

Our use case is that both my wife and I need to have access to Quicken since we now share budget and investing duties. We also would like to be able to keep Quicken up-to-date while travelling. We tried various combinations of running it and copying it to our desktop computers that weren't very satisfactory. Our current solution is to run Quicken on a virtual machine in the Google Cloud Platform. I created a Windows Server vm on GCP, installed Quicken and a few other apps, and then copied the 8 GB QDF file over to it. Quicken runs just fine. You pay for uptime and storage after using up the initial $300 free credit. The configuration I chose costs $0.18/hour, but that rate will probably increase as I add snapshots for backup. We probably only need to access Quicken for an hour or two per day, so cheap. Access is by running MS Remote Desktop Connection on a local pc or mac. Linux has some RDP implementations, as well.

Some technical skills are required. You need to have a Google account, gmail for instance. Could be done on Microsoft Azure, also. There are some good youtube videos showing how to setup a vm on GCP in a few minutes.

The MS Remote Desktop Connection enables access to local disk drives from the remote computer. So, if your QDF file is not too big you can just copy it over using File Explorer in the vm. I backed up the Quicken and other files to another cloud and restored it to the new vm.

Running apps like Quicken in a cloud vm means that it could be accessed by a cheap chromebook, for instance. Also, the vm allows snapshotting which has a lot of uses in managing a Win 10 installation such as backup, testing and reverting.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Quicken was sold again:
https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/09/quick ... uity-firm/

Hopefully this won't result in big, unfavorable changes.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:43 am Quicken was sold again:

From reading the article it doesn't look like there will be any big changes. Quicken has improved over the last several years. I hope it continues on the current course.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:16 pm
I agree Quicken is a very mature product. They have failed to update key features IMO. A lot of new features are superfluous/useless to me.

I went from Q 2010 to Q 2017. It improved about as much as refrigerators improved over seven years. I cannot anticipate that Q 2024 will knock my socks off.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

protagonist wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:19 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:16 pm
I agree Quicken is a very mature product. They have failed to update key features IMO. A lot of new features are superfluous/useless to me.

I went from Q 2010 to Q 2017. It improved about as much as refrigerators improved over seven years. I cannot anticipate that Q 2024 will knock my socks off.
It's been a mixed bag for me with the subscription. They've fixed some issues but some bugs that have been there a long time remain. They've added features. They are mostly useless to me. One exception is they have drastically improved the web/mobile aspect. I never got the feature to get your bills in Quicken to work. They added a new dashboard recently. I prefer the old one (which is still accessible). They have removed some features in the past such as background downloads. They recently added a scheduled download feature but I had multiple problems with it and disabled it.

I ran a report and had 79 transaction in the last 30 days. I am not going to enter that many transactions manually. I don't mind paying $30 or so a year.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:28 am I ran a report and had 79 transaction in the last 30 days. I am not going to enter that many transactions manually. I don't mind paying $30 or so a year.
+1. I look at the annual subscription as paying for the downloads.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

It's good news that Quicken is making money. The previous owners built revenue without improving the product in the least. But that's ok with me. I don't need Quicken to do anything it isn't already doing. I just don't want to have to replace it.

Peak Quicken in my experience was when they licensed a third-party app called PocketQuicken that ran in a Palm. You could enter any kind of transaction including multi-currency into PocketQuicken and then sync it to the desktop. Once that product disappeared that functionality has been lost forever. The current mobile version is useless for me.

However, I have found a good workaround by running Quicken in a vm on Google Cloud Platform. So, now our data and full functionality are available to us anywhere.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

cbeck wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:00 pm

It's good news that Quicken is making money. The previous owners built revenue without improving the product in the least. But that's ok with me. I don't need Quicken to do anything it isn't already doing. I just don't want to have to replace it.

Peak Quicken in my experience was when they licensed a third-party app called PocketQuicken that ran in a Palm. You could enter any kind of transaction including multi-currency into PocketQuicken and then sync it to the desktop. Once that product disappeared that functionality has been lost forever. The current mobile version is useless for me.

However, I have found a good workaround by running Quicken in a vm on Google Cloud Platform. So, now our data and full functionality are available to us anywhere.
Can you tell us more about your Google Cloud VM setup? Like what version of Windows you are using, costs, etc. I've considered giving up Windows completely but haven't due to a couple of apps like Quicken.

I access Quicken all the time using Remote Desktop. The Quicken on the Web is good for entering, viewing, searching transactions and viewing investments. The problem is it gets your data from Quicken Desktop so if you didn't update Desktop it isn't going to show on the Web.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Info about Compute Engine, a Google Cloud product.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Eagle33 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:02 pm Info about Compute Engine, a Google Cloud product.
I did look at that, but there are literally millions of combinations. I really don't need Windows Server to run Quicken, but that seems to be the only Windows options.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:00 am

Can you tell us more about your Google Cloud VM setup? Like what version of Windows you are using, costs, etc. I've considered giving up Windows completely but haven't due to a couple of apps like Quicken.

I access Quicken all the time using Remote Desktop. The Quicken on the Web is good for entering, viewing, searching transactions and viewing investments. The problem is it gets your data from Quicken Desktop so if you didn't update Desktop it isn't going to show on the Web.
You can learn how to setup a windows vm in Google Cloud Platform via numerous videos on youtube. Google gives you a $300 credit for up to three months so you can play around with the vm.

To run Windows on GCP you have to run the server edition. I chose Windows Server 2019. The fact that it is a server version doesn't matter only it won't have the little doodads like Paint, etc. I chose a disk drive of 100 GB, but the default 50 GB is more than enough just for Quicken even though my own Quicken data file is 8 GB. I chose a 2 vcpu version, but the single vcpu also works.

You have to follow the directions in the video to get IE to be able to download files for you since that functionality is initially disabled. Once that's set, you can download and install your favorite browser and Quicken, etc. So, now you need your current Quicken data file. There are a few ways to upload it depending on the size, none of which is completely trivial. I tried out three methods all of which work with various pros and cons:

1. Backup the files on your current windows installation to some free cloud server using the free software duplicati from duplicati.com. Then export that configuration to a file, transfer the file to the GCP vm, install duplicati there, import the file as a new configuration, delete and recreate the database of that configuration, and then restore the files from the cloud backup.

2. Find a video that explains how to create a "bucket" in GCP. You'll have to install Google's free Cloud Tools for Powershell. Then create a bucket with a globally unique name, e.g. my-quicken-bucket-1. Then using Cloud tools copy your quicken directory to the bucket. Install Cloud tools on the GCP vm and copy the Quicken directory from the bucket to the file system.

3. The free DeltaCopy software is what I use routinely, but it requires setting up a vpn on both windows installations, for which I used wireguard. You would have to open a port on the GCP vm using server manager. Then install and configure Deltacopy on both windows installations being careful to get the file paths exactly correct. Like Duplicati Deltacopy only sends deltas, so even a large Quicken file can be updated in just a few minutes.

So, now you have a GCP vm running Quicken with your current data. You will need to back it up somehow. In our usage the GCP vm is the master copy which I backup to my local windows vm using Deltacopy after every update session to the GCP vm which takes only five minutes.

My goal has been to have a reliable Quicken installation that my wife can access independently of me and my desktop computer and that we can both access when we are travelling.

The Quicken master copy on the GCP vm is really for data entry. After the new data has been put in and the GCP Quicken file synced to the one on my local windows vm, I just shut down the GCP vm to avoid uptime costs. Starting and stopping the vm is done via the console at cloud.google.com. We can typically keep the uptime of the GCP vm to 1.5 hours per day or less. At that level of usage the daily cost runs from $0.62 to one dollar.

I expect costs to come down somewhat over time. If it becomes cheaper I will consider dropping my local Windows vms entirely and run only pure Fedora on my desktop.

This is a quick, top-down overview. Let me know if you have questions.
Last edited by cbeck on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

cbeck wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:56 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:00 am

You can learn how to setup a windows vm in Google Cloud Platform via numerous videos on youtube. Google gives you a $300 credit for up to three months so you can play around with the vm.

To run Windows on GCP you have to run the server edition. I chose Windows Server 2019. The fact that it is a server version doesn't matter only it won't have the little doodads like Paint, etc. I chose a disk drive of 100 GB, but the default 50 GB is more than enough just for Quicken even though my own Quicken data file is 8 GB.

You have to follow the directions in the video to get IE to be able to download files for you since that functionality is initially disabled. Once that's set, you can download and install your favorite browser and Quicken, etc. So, now you need your current Quicken data file. There are a few ways to upload it depending on the size, none of which is completely trivial. I tried out three methods all of which work with various pros and cons:

1. Backup the files on your current windows installation to some free cloud server using the free software duplicati from duplicati.com. Then export that configuration to a file, transfer the file to the GCP vm, install duplicati there, import the file as a new configuration, delete and recreate the database of that configuration, and then restore the files from the cloud backup.

2. Find a video that explains how to create a "bucket" in GCP. You'll have to install Google's free Cloud Tools for Powershell. Then create a bucket with a globally unique name, e.g. my-quicken-bucket-1. Then using Cloud tools copy your quicken directory to the bucket. Install Cloud tools on the GCP vm and copy the Quicken directory from the bucket to the file system.

3. The free DeltaCopy software is what I use routinely, but it requires setting up a vpn on both windows installations, for which I used wireguard. You would have to open a port on the GCP vm using server manager. Then install and configure Deltacopy on both windows installations being careful to get the file paths exactly correct. Like Duplicati Deltacopy only sends deltas, so even a large Quicken file can be updated in just a few minutes.

So, now you have a GCP vm running Quicken with your current data. You will need to back it up somehow. In our usage the GCP vm is the master copy which I backup to my local windows vm using Deltacopy after every update session to the GCP vm which takes only five minutes.

My goal has been to have a reliable Quicken installation that my wife can access independently of me and my desktop computer and that we can both access when we are travelling.

The Quicken master copy on the GCP vm is really for data entry. After the new data has been put in and the GCP Quicken file synced to the one on my local windows vm, I just shut down the GCP vm to avoid uptime costs. Starting and stopping the vm is done via the console at cloud.google.com. We can typically keep the uptime of the GCP vm to 1.5 hours per day or less. At that level of usage the daily cost runs from $0.62 to one dollar.

I expect costs to come down somewhat over time. If it becomes cheaper I will consider dropping my local Windows vms entirely and run only pure Fedora on my desktop.

This is a quick, top-down overview. Let me know if you have questions.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

At this point, since I have a windows machine I can RD into, I don't think it is worth it for me, but I will consider it in the future.
ronin

Post by ronin »

My guess is it’s only a matter of time before consumer oriented desktop as a service type cloud offerings become more prevalent which will make doing things like the above much easier for the general user.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

ronin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:17 pm My guess is it’s only a matter of time before consumer oriented desktop as a service type cloud offerings become more prevalent which will make doing things like the above much easier for the general user.
I look forward to the day when all I need to own is a cheap chromebook and an account in the cloud.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Newegg has 1 year of Deluxe for $28. Coupon code 93XRZ43. Not a bad price for those that need a renewal.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:02 am Newegg has 1 year of Deluxe for $28. Coupon code 93XRZ43. Not a bad price for those that need a renewal.
Thanks. Just placed the order. My renewal is in one month.

Cheers
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:02 am Newegg has 1 year of Deluxe for $28. Coupon code 93XRZ43. Not a bad price for those that need a renewal.
Great find. Thanks for sharing :sharebeer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Good find! FYI - That's a one year subscription and the questions section says the time starts from when you install the product.

Heads up - The sale ends 16 hours after the time of this post.

My subscription expires in February 2022, so it's too soon to shop for renewal deals.

If you are setup to auto-renew, that setting can be changed in your Quicken account.

My Account --> Subscriptions --> Manage subscriptions. You will be shown options for changing your plan or canceling the renewal.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:26 am My subscription expires in February 2022, so it's too soon to shop for renewal deals.
Since you have less than 6 months remaining on your subscription, you should be able to add another year if you want to. Per the Quicken FAQs in the "Before You Purchase" section:
How long can I extend my membership plan?
A membership can only be extended in the last six months of a subscription term. Therefore, multiple terms cannot be purchased and used at once to extend a membership. Retail purchases: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

Gryphon wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:05 am
A membership can only be extended in the last six months of a subscription term. Therefore, multiple terms cannot be purchased and used at once to extend a membership. Retail purchases: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated.
I wish there were a way to know when the code in a retail box was generated so that i could buy two boxes when there is a really good deal.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Gryphon wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:05 am
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:26 am My subscription expires in February 2022, so it's too soon to shop for renewal deals.
Since you have less than 6 months remaining on your subscription, you should be able to add another year if you want to. Per the Quicken FAQs in the "Before You Purchase" section:
Thanks! I did further research and confirmed what you said. I then went to the Newegg site for the Quicken download version: Quicken Deluxe 2021 for New Subscribers Only - 1 Year [Windows/Mac Download] $31.19 + tax.

Note the page title, which is also clearly shown in the product box image. "For New Subscribers Only". I don't qualify and I'm very sure the activation code will be invalidated by Quicken.

The box version is what's on sale: Quicken Deluxe Personal Finance - 1-Year Subscription (Windows/Mac) $31.19 - $3 + tax.

The product reviews say it will indeed to extend your membership if you are within the 6 month renewal window. Works for me. Ordered. I went with the free shipping option.

FYI - The sale ends 10 hours after the time of this post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
riverant

Post by riverant »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:46 pm
Thanks! I did further research and confirmed what you said. I then went to the Newegg site for the Quicken download version: Quicken Deluxe 2021 for New Subscribers Only - 1 Year [Windows/Mac Download] $31.19 + tax.

Note the page title, which is also clearly shown in the product box image. "For New Subscribers Only". I don't qualify and I'm very sure the activation code will be invalidated by Quicken.

The box version is what's on sale: Quicken Deluxe Personal Finance - 1-Year Subscription (Windows/Mac) $31.19 - $3 + tax.

The product reviews say it will indeed to extend your membership if you are within the 6 month renewal window. Works for me. Ordered. I went with the free shipping option.

Thanks LadyGeek! A bit strange that we need to purchase an actual box version and get a cd mailed to us. I'm hopeful the registration code is in the box itself rather than on the disc. I haven't bought a program on CD in a decade and I can't guarantee my CD drive works... Not bad to save $20.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

TJat wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:43 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:46 pm

Thanks LadyGeek! A bit strange that we need to purchase an actual box version and get a cd mailed to us. I'm hopeful the registration code is in the box itself rather than on the disc. I haven't bought a program on CD in a decade and I can't guarantee my CD drive works... Not bad to save $20.
Not sure it is much of a bargain, that is the same exact price available right now on the Quicken web site.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

marcopolo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:04 pm Not sure it is much of a bargain, that is the same exact price available right now on the Quicken web site.
I'm not seeing that - when I go there I only get offered a 10% discount off the list price of $52 for Deluxe.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

marcopolo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:04 pm
Not sure it is much of a bargain, that is the same exact price available right now on the Quicken web site.
I see Quicken Deluxe priced at $51.99 at quicken.com. What price did you see for Deluxe. Can you provide a link to what you are seeing?

https://www.quicken.com/compare

Cheer
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Silk McCue wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:14 pm
marcopolo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:04 pm
I see Quicken Deluxe priced at $51.99 at quicken.com. What price did you see for Deluxe. Can you provide a link to what you are seeing?

https://www.quicken.com/compare

Cheer
Here:
https://get.quicken.com/
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

marcopolo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:18 pm Here:
The fine print at the bottom of that page says "Offer good for new memberships only."
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Gryphon wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:25 pm
marcopolo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:18 pm Here:
The fine print at the bottom of that page says "Offer good for new memberships only."
To be honest, i have not tried it because i still have more that 6 mo on my current subscription.
But, the fine print below also says when you buy before June 30, 2021, but it is still available.
Also, when you actually select the product to buy, it asks for your Quicken ID if you already have one.
Not sure why it would do that for new customers only.
The product description on the purchase page just says 1-yr subscription. No mention of it being a new customer offer only.

When the time comes, if this is still available, I will try it. Worse case, if it is limited to new customers, i would ask for refund from Quicken.

EDIT: OK, I am less convinced now. The purchase page also has this tidbit; * Existing subscribers will get pro-rated time added to their subscription.
So, perhaps existing customers who get 40% off the price also get 40% less time extended to their subscription?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Silk McCue wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:11 am
Thanks. Just placed the order. My renewal is in one month.

Cheers
My Friday purchase from Newegg was delivered to Central Florida via UPS today. Faster than what was expected. Applied the code to Quicken and it immediately updated license to late October 2022 as is appropriate. Last year when I applied a code it did not update until I actually reached the current year renewal date.

Cheers
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

What a coincidence. My Friday purchase from Newegg was also delivered today by UPS. I applied the code to Quicken and it immediately updated the license to late February 2023 - one year after my current year expires.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I didn't know Quicken could do 2-FA (two-factor authentication) when updating account transactions.

During my normal account updates, Quicken stopped in the middle of its tracks with a pop-up window saying that my bank wanted to send me a security code. How did I want to proceed (voice or text)? I received an authentication code and entered it in the Quicken window.

It didn't work because my account didn't update and Quicken said there was a problem to fix. Repeating the process didn't help.

I then logged into my bank account directly and was presented with an online bank policy update. Perhaps Quicken was stopped until I read the policy change? In any case, I downloaded the transaction file from my bank and updated Quicken that way.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:05 am I didn't know Quicken could do 2-FA (two-factor authentication) when updating account transactions.

During my normal account updates, Quicken stopped in the middle of its tracks with a pop-up window saying that my bank wanted to send me a security code. How did I want to proceed (voice or text)? I received an authentication code and entered it in the Quicken window.

It didn't work because my account didn't update and Quicken said there was a problem to fix. Repeating the process didn't help.

I then logged into my bank account directly and was presented with an online bank policy update. Perhaps Quicken was stopped until I read the policy change? In any case, I downloaded the transaction file from my bank and updated Quicken that way.
I think that it's very possible your bank required that additional confirmation and that Quicken reacted to it. On occasion, Quicken says that my bank wants me to enter the Security Question answer that I have set up at that bank before it can proceed. Quicken presents me with a screen that asks the Security Question and also a place to enter the Answer. Once entered, that appears to satisfy the bank and Quicken has proceeded onward. But I haven't had it make me enter Text Message 2FA codes yet, even though I do have that on my bank account.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

I have had Quicken downloads fail in cases where the website wanted me to look at something or do something while logging in (verify personal information, acknowledge a policy change, etc) and the failure messages I get from Quicken in those cases are often misleading, like it doesn't understand what's going on. I've gotten to the point that anytime a Quicken download fails for any reason, my first response is to log into the bank website to see if that's the problem. I've never gotten 2FA prompts in that situation before but I guess it doesn't entirely surprise me. There just doesn't seem to be an unambiguous way for the bank to tell Quicken that I need to log in to the website.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Gryphon wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:31 amI have had Quicken downloads fail in cases where the website wanted me to look at something or do something while logging in (verify personal information, acknowledge a policy change, etc) and the failure messages I get from Quicken in those cases are often misleading, like it doesn't understand what's going on. I've gotten to the point that anytime a Quicken download fails for any reason, my first response is to log into the bank website to see if that's the problem. I've never gotten 2FA prompts in that situation before but I guess it doesn't entirely surprise me. There just doesn't seem to be an unambiguous way for the bank to tell Quicken that I need to log in to the website.
My experience with 2FA in Quicken suggests that failure may be due to the bank web site timing out before Quicken can transmit my response back to the web site. It's not often that I get prompted. When I do it's usually one of the more stringent institutions I have accounts with (some credit unions) and that I don't log into frequently (the same credit unions).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I decided to change the email address I use for Quicken. All went as expected until I tried to login to my Quicken website account (after the email change).

I was getting an "Oops! Something went wrong." message and was stopped. :shock: After using private browsing mode, clearing browser caches, and going through several browsers, I finally figured out what was wrong.

I had stored a long login URL in my password manager To clean things up, I shortened it to:

Code: Select all

https://signin.quicken.com/signin/
I got a login screen - but was unable to log in. Nothing I did after that point would work. By accident, I went to the main Quicken site and hit the "Sign In" button. It worked! Apparently, Quicken changes the URL parameters depending on the page you're visiting. For example:

Code: Select all

https://signin.quicken.com/signin?response_type=code&client_id=quicken_estore&redirect_uri=https%3A//www.quicken.com/qam-callback
I have no idea why Quicken didn't handle this better. I now have the long URL saved in my password manager. If anyone is using a password manager, don't do what I did. Keep the long URL.

Changing your Quicken email also means you need to change the Quicken ID inside Quicken. That went as expected. Edit --> Preferences --> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts.
Topic Author
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Hi all - I'm the original poster on this thread - glad to see it is going strong! Quick question, as I assume those on this thread would be savvy on this. I am thinking of finally going ahead with the Vanguard account transition, but the fears of something going wrong in Quicken have held me back. I understand that fundamentally we shouldn't do the "add/remove" shares thing that the transition will download as, and instead should do "transfer shares out of account." As background, I have both mutual fund and brokerage accounts at Vanguard, and I have used the brokerage account for ETFs for many years. I did google within Bogleheads about quicken and the vanguard transition, but I couldn't find more detail on Quicken than the above - I could do a separate post if this isn't the place. My questions:

1. When doing the transition on Vanguard website, should I just import the funds into my existing brokerage account, or should I make a separate brokerage account for the funds? I guess my preference would be to lump them all together in one brokerage account for simplicity, but I wanted to make sure there isn't a Quicken related reason to keep them in a separate brokerage account.

2. For Quicken, is it simple as just starting a new transaction, choosing "Shares transferred between accts" and then choosing "all securities" such that they will all flow over at once, keeping basis info, on the day of the transfer? Or is there something more involved?

Thanks!
The Big Apple

Post by The Big Apple »

Scorpion wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:30 pm 1. When doing the transition on Vanguard website, should I just import the funds into my existing brokerage account, or should I make a separate brokerage account for the funds? I guess my preference would be to lump them all together in one brokerage account for simplicity, but I wanted to make sure there isn't a Quicken related reason to keep them in a separate brokerage account.

2. For Quicken, is it simple as just starting a new transaction, choosing "Shares transferred between accts" and then choosing "all securities" such that they will all flow over at once, keeping basis info, on the day of the transfer? Or is there something more involved?

Thanks!
I haven't done this personally, but here is what I think Quicken would do:

If you currently have a Mutual Fund only account and convert it to a new Brokerage Account at Vanguard, you could probably disconnect the Quicken account from Vanguard, and then reconnect it to Vanguard (and select the new brokerage account during the connection process). But this would result in two different brokerage accounts at Vanguard and Quicken. You might need to delete the downloaded transactions that come in from Vanguard showing the shares being transferred in - since you don't need Quicken to reflect that.

If you decide to consolidate at Vanguard, I think you would use the "shares transferred between accounts" and "all securities" as you describe above; if it does not match the downloaded information, delete that information manually instead of accepting it.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Are you doing automatic downloads from Vanguard into Quicken?

In my case, I initiated a brokerage conversion at Vanguard and it created a new brokerage account. I am unsure if you would be able to migrate to an existing brokerage account or not at Vanguard, but that doesn’t affect the migration.

Once the conversion was completed on Vanguard, I updated Quicken from Vanguard. It cleared the shares out of the old account in Quicken, created a new account in Quicken and placed shares into it. I believe it brought over some but not all of the transaction history but that was still present in the old account which remained in Quicken. I ultimately hid that from view but left it in place so that I still had access to the transaction history.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

What I would suggest doing:

1. Once you start ask VG to start the migration, take a backup of the Quicken QDATA file, and store in a place you will not overwrite or delete.
2. Stop using Quicken until the migration is complete. That is, the old VG account is drained and the new VG one has the shares.
3. Accept everything and see what it looks like. If similar to migrating funds from another source, everything should look great. I would think the old purchases would show as added to the new account, and removed from the old one. Also check the basis is correct.

If it doesn’t work as expected, you can either fix it up if small change, or restore the backup copy and download again and try something different. I would not disconnect the old account from online access by Quicken until everything is correct. Then you can close, but not delete, the old account.
jasonp99

Post by jasonp99 »

Longtime Quicken user (started around '98). Been using Quicken 2007 (Mac) for several years, after migrating the 2002 data. Got a new MBP and Quicken 2007 no longer worked (bummer!), so bought latest Quicken (Deluxe Mac 6.5.1, about $31). Saved [on old Mac] copy of datafile from Quicken (had to copy datafile to external non-APFS drive and run old Quicken from there in order to save a copy). Re-opened datafile on new Mac and it was able to translate the file (cloud-based translator) this time. All data was good was except for one older investment account where it for some reason didn't transfer out (to nowhere) about 1000 shares of MOT (which had split into two other companies). Fixed that and all was good.

The new Quicken no longer supports QIF import. And general QFX import only works if subscription enabled. I tried out the auto-download features and it worked pretty well on banking and CC accounts. But an investment account (Wells Fargo) only downloaded from 12/30/21 onwards. Contacted Quicken support about that, was able to get the older data by downloading QFX from WF directly, opening a new Quicken file, importing the data into there, saving a Quicken Transfer file (QFX format). Re-open original Quicken file, import the Quicken transfer file and those two new accounts show up (different account names that my real accounts). Then drag the transactions from the imported accounts to the real accounts. Finally, delete the temporary accounts. Cumbersome, but works. Hoping the auto download will get all the future transactions and this is just a temporary hiccup. Quicken rep said there was some known bug with QFX import to the Mac . . .

As importing doesn't really work anymore if you aren't a subscriber, my older flow where I converted the downloaded QFX to QIF, added categories based on payee, then imported into Quicken, isn't going to work anymore. I think the Quick Fill rules to auto-assign categories will work OK so I suspect I'll just keep purchasing the subscription every year (hopefully keeping Quicken in business). And avoid the renewal banner I hear gets put on your screen forever until you subscribe again.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Going back to the initial question...I don't think the service/support/features have really improved with the subscription model. For sure they push updates out left and right. It seems like one update is fixing what they broke in the last one. I haven't been able to update Schwab accounts for a month. There are all kinds of threads on it on their support forums. I tried everything listed and even contacted them. It just doesn't work for me and I don't think it should take this long to get it fixed. I've submitted my logs and everything else they asked for twice.

Most of the new features are useless to me or don't work. The get your bill thing didn't work for the 2 I set up. I can see the bills online with the logins I provided....so it just doesn't work in Quicken. I have autopay anyway so it is of minimal value to begin with. The new dashboard...well...I use the old one. My top "payees" are my brokerage accounts. Not very useful. A lot of new "features" are just moving things around, giving a new icon or color or name, etc. There new reports that are listed under reporting that excite me.... and when I click on them it turns out it is just an ad for me to upgrade to a higher version. Clickbait.

I will continue to use it because of lack of other options...... :shock:
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:56 pm Going back to the initial question...I don't think the service/support/features have really improved with the subscription model.
I agree, but i think the subscription model is correct. If you look at the Quicken forum, most of the issues are related to downloading from banks & brokerage firms This isn't because Quicken made a change; it is because the bank or brokerage changed its website & Quicken's screen scraping code stopped working. Same is true for the Schwab fiasco. So it is reasonable to charge a yearly subscription fee to cover maintaining the fragile download infrastructure.

I agree that their enhancements have been mostly useless to me. Their attempt to support Quicken on the web appears to just not work well. However i understand why they keep working on it. Without a web version, Quicken will die out along with the group of us who started with them years ago.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

prd1982 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:54 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:56 pm Going back to the initial question...I don't think the service/support/features have really improved with the subscription model.
I agree, but i think the subscription model is correct. If you look at the Quicken forum, most of the issues are related to downloading from banks & brokerage firms This isn't because Quicken made a change; it is because the bank or brokerage changed its website & Quicken's screen scraping code stopped working. Same is true for the Schwab fiasco. So it is reasonable to charge a yearly subscription fee to cover maintaining the fragile download infrastructure.

I agree that their enhancements have been mostly useless to me. Their attempt to support Quicken on the web appears to just not work well. However i understand why they keep working on it. Without a web version, Quicken will die out along with the group of us who started with them years ago.
Quicken only does any screen scraping for the Express Web Connect method. Of all my accounts, only Discover uses that method. I don't know for sure, but I believe that is used for smaller financial institutions that don't support Direct Connect or ones that charge a fee for direct connect.

There is a standard for Direct Connect - OFX. Whether you use it with Quicken or gnuCash or something else like Mint it is the same interface. Quicken is not creating a separate interface for each financial company.

As to Scwab, it was Quicken that made the change (according to their website):

In our ongoing effort to improve the security of your information, we have changed the way you access and download your Charles Schwab account information into Quicken.

We switched over to the new download system on Friday, November 19. Most of our customers have been able to migrate successfully. However, we have identified a few issues that are continuing to affect some of our customers

My account at Schwab is new so there was not transition for me. I cannot get it to download transactions for my new account.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:11 pm

In our ongoing effort to improve the security of your information, we have changed the way you access and download your Charles Schwab account information into Quicken.

We switched over to the new download system on Friday, November 19. Most of our customers have been able to migrate successfully. However, we have identified a few issues that are continuing to affect some of our customers

Also from the Quicken website:

Charles Schwab is changing the way you access and download your account information into Quicken.

We have made changes to Quicken to accommodate these Schwab changes. In order to ensure you maintain your Schwab connectivity, please update your version of Quicken to the latest release as soon as possible.

I find it difficult to believe the Quicken wanted to change from a perfectly good working interface.

And I continue to believe that Quicken spends a lot of time working on their download interface to keep them working because of changes made by the financial institutions.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

prd1982 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:43 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:11 pm

Also from the Quicken website:

Charles Schwab is changing the way you access and download your account information into Quicken.

We have made changes to Quicken to accommodate these Schwab changes. In order to ensure you maintain your Schwab connectivity, please update your version of Quicken to the latest release as soon as possible.

I find it difficult to believe the Quicken wanted to change from a perfectly good working interface.

And I continue to believe that Quicken spends a lot of time working on their download interface to keep them working because of changes made by the financial institutions.
I'm not sure which it is with Schwab, but it is a mess. In 27 years of using Quicken, I've never had downloads down for more than a day or two for any account I have. Of course, there weren't many downloads in the first few years....