Quicken 2019 and forward

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
protagonist

Re: Quicken 2019 and forward

Post by protagonist »

If you are fine with entering data manually (I prefer it....it keeps me on my toes and also minimizes errors), find a copy of 2017 Quicken (CD-ROM) on eBay or some such site....that's what I did.
I believe 2017 was the last year you could buy a copy subscription-free. I can't imagine that it has significantly improved since then.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

GuyInFL wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:31 pm Quicken Deluxe is currently on sale at Amazon and other locations for about $31. That includes a year subscription.

On the package it lists a Data access guarantee
"Whether you renew your subscription or not, you will always have full access to & ownership of your data".

It contains the following footnote reference:
"Upon expiration of subscription, users may manually edit, export and enter transactions and accounts. Access to online services, downloads, quotes, mobile sync and Quicken Support will terminate. Subject to Terms of Use. Applies to Deluxe and higher version of Quicken; Starter version will become read-only."
My Quicken subscription expired last week and I'll be travelling for the next month so I decided to delay renewal of my account until I return.
I'd seen notes online about people losing their access to their data so I thought I'd see what happens when the subscription expires.
Quicken asked me to log in using my Quicken Id and password. My password didn't work, so I went through the Quicken online password reset process successfully, which included a 2FA text to my phone. After resetting the password, I was able to log in to my Quicken Software on my desktop and see all my data. Of course I can't download transactions but that's to be expected.
I'm satisfied and believe this is consistent with what Quicken advertises.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I'm cheap/frugal and a very longtime Quicken user. I am still baffled by someone not wanting to pay less than $3/mo to save not manually entering transactions/getting verification of those transactions from a 3rd party. If you are obsessed with privacy I guess I can sort of see wanting to stay offline. I've avoided subscriptions and even small fees my whole life, but there is a point where you really need to do a cost benefit analysis and put some value on your time. I can also see if you just see no value in the data in Quicken (but then why were you using it in the first place?) All that being said, as I've posted here and other threads, I am not some super fan but rather critical of Quicken in general. However, I haven't found a better alternative for someone that loves financial data/analysis.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:11 pm I'm cheap/frugal and a very longtime Quicken user. I am still baffled by someone not wanting to pay less than $3/mo to save not manually entering transactions/getting verification of those transactions from a 3rd party. If you are obsessed with privacy I guess I can sort of see wanting to stay offline. I've avoided subscriptions and even small fees my whole life, but there is a point where you really need to do a cost benefit analysis and put some value on your time. I can also see if you just see no value in the data in Quicken (but then why were you using it in the first place?) All that being said, as I've posted here and other threads, I am not some super fan but rather critical of Quicken in general. However, I haven't found a better alternative for someone that loves financial data/analysis.
I would be lost without Quicken, although I am well aware of its shortcomings. Quicken's two big advantages are its comprehensive scope and its longevity. I am happy to pay an annual fee to reduce the possibility that they belly up. There is no comparable replacement.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:11 pm I'm cheap/frugal and a very longtime Quicken user. I am still baffled by someone not wanting to pay less than $3/mo to save not manually entering transactions/getting verification of those transactions from a 3rd party. If you are obsessed with privacy I guess I can sort of see wanting to stay offline. I've avoided subscriptions and even small fees my whole life, but there is a point where you really need to do a cost benefit analysis and put some value on your time. I can also see if you just see no value in the data in Quicken (but then why were you using it in the first place?) All that being said, as I've posted here and other threads, I am not some super fan but rather critical of Quicken in general. However, I haven't found a better alternative for someone that loves financial data/analysis.
I found a few things when I declined to pay for updates and remained with Quicken 2016.

I stopped getting changes to the program that weren't interesting or useful to me. This is a general issue I have with pretty mature software, they do change for changes sake just to justify a new version. Like the word processor or spreadsheet, Quicken is good and doesn't need constant tweaks. I find annual updates rarely actually improve things, just rearranges the desk chairs to make something work differently but not better.

I also used to use the stock price update feature whenever I went into quicken to enter a transaction of whatever sort. Now I do it weekly mostly to check that I don't need to rebalance. With only 5 prices to update, this takes me a minute. I feel like I pay less attention to the market than when I updated it every day or two, and I think that is a win.

Obviously YMMV.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Da5id wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:30 pm… I feel like I pay less attention to the market than when I updated it every day or two, and I think that is a win. …
Maybe I should let my subscription lapse.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Da5id wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:30 pm
I found a few things when I declined to pay for updates and remained with Quicken 2016.

I stopped getting changes to the program that weren't interesting or useful to me. This is a general issue I have with pretty mature software, they do change for changes sake just to justify a new version. Like the word processor or spreadsheet, Quicken is good and doesn't need constant tweaks. I find annual updates rarely actually improve things, just rearranges the desk chairs to make something work differently but not better.

I also used to use the stock price update feature whenever I went into quicken to enter a transaction of whatever sort. Now I do it weekly mostly to check that I don't need to rebalance. With only 5 prices to update, this takes me a minute. I feel like I pay less attention to the market than when I updated it every day or two, and I think that is a win.

Obviously YMMV.
I agree Quicken is a very mature product. They have failed to update key features IMO. A lot of new features are superfluous/useless to me.

One thing that drives me nuts is if I want to compare the last 3 years expense as of today, I have to do a workaround and modify my calendar year. For example, I want to see my expenses yearly from 4/1/2018 to 3/31/2021. Well, Quicken by default will give me 4/1/2018-12/31/2018, 1/1/2019-12/31/2019, 1/1/2020-12/31/2020 and 1/1/2021 to 3/31/2021. Why?????? Why would I compare 9 months of expense to 12 months to 3 months of expenses?

In general, I would like more flexible reporting. I've had to engineer several reports with hacks.

On the other hand, I'm sure keeping these interfaces with 1000s (maybe 10,000s) of financial institutions updated requires some work (and maybe they are recompensated for some of that).
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

spammagnet wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:15 pm
Da5id wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:30 pm… I feel like I pay less attention to the market than when I updated it every day or two, and I think that is a win. …
And shred all your financial statements unopened. :oops: I guess lack of knowledge is power? Isn't how a lot of people get into huge debt and financial problems is by burying their head in the sand? I think that if looking regularly makes you want to change your investments they are not appropriate for you.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:22 pm
And shred all your financial statements unopened. :oops: I guess lack of knowledge is power? Isn't how a lot of people get into huge debt and financial problems is by burying their head in the sand? I think that if looking regularly makes you want to change your investments they are not appropriate for you.
I enter all my statements manually. But I did that even when I had licensed Quicken. I'm not excited about giving a third party any means of accessing my financial or private information. Breach after breach by companies that should know better.

And I'm not in any danger of financial problems etc, as I'm early retired with sub-2% SWR. But I think constantly looking at ones finances isn't good for most people. It can cause anxiety, desire to tinker ones asset allocation, etc. Set it and forget it, rebalance as needed is more the boglehead way than hover and obsess over the day's or even week's changes.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Another danger in making software changes just for changes sake (and to justify "new" software releases) is the risk that it breaks long-stable functions. It seems many bugs are in functions that have worked for years and then are suddenly broken because of some new much-less important feature introduction. Then those bugs have to be chased down and fixed, resulting in another software release.

It's not like there's a new way that a checking account works or loan interest is calculated. Sigh.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Da5id wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:30 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:22 pm
I enter all my statements manually. But I did that even when I had licensed Quicken. I'm not excited about giving a third party any means of accessing my financial or private information. Breach after breach by companies that should know better.

And I'm not in any danger of financial problems etc, as I'm early retired with sub-2% SWR. But I think constantly looking at ones finances isn't good for most people. It can cause anxiety, desire to tinker ones asset allocation, etc. Set it and forget it, rebalance as needed is more the boglehead way than hover and obsess over the day's or even week's changes.
Fair enough. But I haven't heard of anyone's financial information compromised ever via Quicken. Looking doesn't mean you are obsessing. Looking doesn't cause me to change anything. There are countless threads on this. If you ignore all news/media maybe you will be fine. But anyone that doesn't know the market is down 10, 20, 30, 40% must be living in a bubble. They must not have any friends, watch any news, get no newspapers or read anything online. YMMV
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:00 pm Fair enough. But I haven't heard of anyone's financial information compromised ever via Quicken. Looking doesn't mean you are obsessing. Looking doesn't cause me to change anything. There are countless threads on this. If you ignore all news/media maybe you will be fine. But anyone that doesn't know the market is down 10, 20, 30, 40% must be living in a bubble. They must not have any friends, watch any news, get no newspapers or read anything online.
Quicken isn't compromised until it is of course. There have been breaches by many big brand companies over the years, no reason to think Quicken is particularly immune.

Countless threads on what? That watching the daily twists and turns of the market makes it easier to stay the course or improves satisfaction with life? Huh.

I'm of course somewhat aware of the market. I update my holdings weekly, enter it into my spreadsheet, and see if rebalancing might be needed (less often than weekly would be fine with me too). Day to day I generally don't know (or care) what the market did. If it is a big enough swing to make the lead story in the news, I'll probably notice. Though I'm pretty good at ignoring it, I look at WSJ online and don't tend to see the market stories (and don't read the market or investing sections for that matter). But again I feel like paying more attention to day-to-day life and less to investments is generally good for most people. And my friends (I do actually have some) and relatives don't talk about stocks or finances much. Obviously YMMV.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:22 pm ... And shred all your financial statements unopened. ...
Of course not. My point and, I think, DaSid's, is that a Bogleheads investment strategy adapted to the investor's risk tolerance should not require frequent checking. Some of us do it more often than is necessary or healthy.

Edit: I hadn't seen DaSid's reply before writing mine. I shouldn't make assumptions on his/her behalf.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

spammagnet wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:22 pm ... And shred all your financial statements unopened. ...
Of course not. My point and, I think, DaSid's, is that a Bogleheads investment strategy adapted to the investor's risk tolerance should not require frequent checking. Some of us do it more often than is necessary or healthy.

Edit: I hadn't seen DaSid's reply before writing mine. I shouldn't make assumptions on his/her behalf.
Yeah, that was mostly my point. I think things that make it easier/more desirable to peek often are bugs, not features.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

I actually do feel bad that I haven't upgraded. I do believe in rewarding companies that produce a good product. I appreciate the work that went into it. I still use quicken 2016 and have even migrated it to a new computer and had to make a few tweaks. I always entered my data manually, and always will never do Bank downloads. Handle my own stock splits etc

I have quicken premier and really want the ROI that is visible in the investment reports. I have also created my own customized categories for inflation protected assets like tips and i-bonds. Plus separate categories for short duration bonds versus bond funds versus longer term bonds.

So I am very hesitant about starting a subscription service given that I have fine-tuned it this much. But I always worry that eventually, when I upgrade the computer again in 5 to 6 years that I may not be able to migrate.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Consider the subscription service as a constant stream of upgrades. When you start Quicken, it will (try to) force you to upgrade the software when one becomes available. That's a major difference between having a subscription vs. a single-copy box.

As long as you keep current with the software, you won't have to worry about migrating your stuff. It's part of the upgrade process.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
WapelloHawk

Post by WapelloHawk »

I have 25+ years of Quicken data. Hard to imagine life without my regular data downloads. Lol.

Vanguard, USAA, and Quicken...important parts of my financial life.
TechieTechie

Post by TechieTechie »

Does anyone have 2017 and earlier locally stored on your machine? Can you upload bulk transactions via CSV/excel files? I've heard for items out of support window, you can no longer log in (which would be problematic).

But if the functionality still works, I'd rather get an older version and work 100% offline and not have to pay a recurring subscription rate. I really only want it to run some basic analysis on spending trends across 5 or 6 different financial institutions.

TIA
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Premier is less than $6.50 a month, or about 22 cents a day. There is something to be said for watching the pennies and the dollars minding themselves, for sure, but on the other hand I think one ought to be realistic--a new feature that saves a minute a day means if you're making more than $13.20/hour, it's worth the price.

And, as others have mentioned, perhaps it is worth 22 cents a day to encourage Quicken development, like a vote of confidence that the product should be continually improved.

I hate subscriptions as much as anyone but on this board $7 a month ought to really be noise.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

8foot7 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:55 am Premier is less than $6.50 a month, or about 22 cents a day. There is something to be said for watching the pennies and the dollars minding themselves, for sure, but on the other hand I think one ought to be realistic--a new feature that saves a minute a day means if you're making more than $13.20/hour, it's worth the price.

And, as others have mentioned, perhaps it is worth 22 cents a day to encourage Quicken development, like a vote of confidence that the product should be continually improved.

I hate subscriptions as much as anyone but on this board $7 a month ought to really be noise.
I agree...but how many people need Premiere? I have Deluxe and it was $30/yr or 8 cents a day. I've used Quicken 25 years and used Deluxe almost all of that. I had investment property for a short time and used H&B then. Even when self employed I used Deluxe.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I am pleased with the subscription model now and
moving forward

:wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Toons wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:13 am I am pleased with the subscription model now and
moving forward
I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. There are still a few bugs that have been there forever that they never seem to fix. My main problem with subscriptions is that you have a cheap subscription here and there and everywhere and next thing you know you are outlaying hundreds per month for music, Quicken, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Sirius Radio, etc. subscriptions.
Toons

Post by Toons »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:16 am
Toons wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:13 am I am pleased with the subscription model now and
moving forward
I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. There are still a few bugs that have been there forever that they never seem to fix. My main problem with subscriptions is that you have a cheap subscription here and there and everywhere and next thing you know you are outlaying hundreds per month for music, Quicken, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Sirius Radio, etc. subscriptions.

The Value Of Quicken For Me Since 1993 Has Been ,And Is
Immeasurable

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Toons wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:15 pm
moving forward

Immeasurable

Agreed. I attribute a lot to it over the last 25 years in helping me keep on top of my finances and on track with my goals. I'm not going to say I'd be eating cat food rather than early retired because of Quicken, but a lot of the useful data is stuff I wouldn't have kept track of consistently manually.
Toons

Post by Toons »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:23 pm
Toons wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:15 pm
moving forward

Immeasurable

Agreed. I attribute a lot to it over the last 25 years in helping me keep on top of my finances and on track with my goals. I'm not going to say I'd be eating cat food rather than early retired because of Quicken, but a lot of the useful data is stuff I wouldn't have kept track of consistently manually.
Excellent,
I would have to say that using Quicken
Was a Contributing factor in "compounding"
Our way to Retirement
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I hear ya, but Quicken is of course much more than investments. My daily download includes 2 checking accounts, 4 online savings accounts, and 7 credit cards, in addition to 3 brokerage accounts and 5 retirement accounts between me and my wife. I just looked at my Quicken account list and it includes connectivity to Wells Fargo, Amex, Barclays, Discover Bank, BofA, Citi, a local credit union, Chase, Fidelity (including NetBenefits), Schwab, and TD Ameritrade.

I enjoy keeping an eye on my spending and like to ensure that transactions are valid, and I definitely consider this activity to be healthy. :wink: When I retire, I will probably consolidate a few of those savings accounts and credit cards, but I'll continue subscribing to Quicken as long as it is around and useful.

I consider myself a fairly hardcore Quicken user, but a couple of years ago I realized that I only need Deluxe. So I'm in that less-than-a-dime-a-day group. :sharebeer
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

CardinalRule wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:49 pm

I hear ya, but Quicken is of course much more than investments. My daily download includes 2 checking accounts, 4 online savings accounts, and 7 credit cards, in addition to 3 brokerage accounts and 5 retirement accounts between me and my wife. I just looked at my Quicken account list and it includes connectivity to Wells Fargo, Amex, Barclays, Discover Bank, BofA, Citi, a local credit union, Chase, Fidelity (including NetBenefits), Schwab, and TD Ameritrade.

I enjoy keeping an eye on my spending and like to ensure that transactions are valid, and I definitely consider this activity to be healthy. :wink: When I retire, I will probably consolidate a few of those savings accounts and credit cards, but I'll continue subscribing to Quicken as long as it is around and useful.

I consider myself a fairly hardcore Quicken user, but a couple of years ago I realized that I only need Deluxe. So I'm in that less-than-a-dime-a-day group. :sharebeer
This ^^

Intuit (TurboTax) and Quicken are very good at marketing anxiety. They convince people that they need higher versions (which cost more) than they do. I have yet to find anything that TurboTax Deluxe or Quicken Deluxe won't do for me.

I use Quicken several times a week, have had it since 1995. I normally download weekly, but sometimes more often. I did consider not renewing this time, but found it for $23 on Ebay, and did it. I wouldn't upgrade if I had an EASY way to have daily security prices imported, the account transactions I would be fine to key in. I find that account downloads, especially bank and credit accounts, break on a regular basis. I even tried setting up a version where I deleted all account setups and started from scratch, and they broke too.

I consider $2 a month fair. After I eliminate accounts in late June/early July when we retire, there may be less and less reason to keep Quicken, we'll see.

Since you can re-subscribe 6 months prior to expiration, I'll look around Black Friday to see if I see a deal. I should have bought multiple copies of 2018 with the 27 months on it...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I used Quicken for 10 years. Approximately 13 years ago we stopped cold and have never missed it. I was questioning the value.

In hindsight it was the best decision for us.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

TechieTechie wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 am Does anyone have 2017 and earlier locally stored on your machine? Can you upload bulk transactions via CSV/excel files? I've heard for items out of support window, you can no longer log in (which would be problematic).

But if the functionality still works, I'd rather get an older version and work 100% offline and not have to pay a recurring subscription rate. I really only want it to run some basic analysis on spending trends across 5 or 6 different financial institutions.

TIA
I use quicken premier 2016 still, and even migrated it to a new computer. I like the ROI features for investments that you can't get in the deluxe versions. To answer your question, I use CVS imports for pricing of securities, but not for transactions. (Exporting from Morningstar).
Last edited by Hebell on Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
plasticofantastico

Post by plasticofantastico »

Quicken Mac user here, and I’ll share my experience.

I purchased an unopened copy of Quicken Premier 2018 on eBay, which has a 2 year subscription activation code. When I entered it in Quicken it was not accepted due to the code being expired. No expiration code on the package.

I called Quicken support, and was told that since eBay is not an authorized reseller there was nothing they can do. If you read the FAQ on the Quicken website it says activation codes expire 2 years after they are generated.

The eBay seller s giving me a refund, but the interaction with Quicken support was disappointing.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

plasticofantastico wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:18 pm... The eBay seller s giving me a refund, but the interaction with Quicken support was disappointing.
Unless they were impolite, how so? You bought 3 year old subscription software with a 2 year lifespan.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

spammagnet wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:46 pm
plasticofantastico wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:18 pm... The eBay seller s giving me a refund, but the interaction with Quicken support was disappointing.
Unless they were impolite, how so? You bought 3 year old subscription software with a 2 year lifespan.
I'm not a fan of the terms myself. An unused 2 year subscription should start when activated rather than purchased. Expiring it is just a money grab, no real reason I can see for it myself. Yes, those may be the terms they sold it on, but not very customer friendly IMO.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Da5id wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 pm
I'm not a fan of the terms myself. An unused 2 year subscription should start when activated rather than purchased. Expiring it is just a money grab, no real reason I can see for it myself. Yes, those may be the terms they sold it on, but not very customer friendly IMO.
If you had a business, would you want people buying 10 copies of some old, cheap version you could use for the next several decades??? I doubt it. Going back to my accounting background, this is a big issue. Every license out there that could be activated is a liability. No one wants to carry them on their books. It is sort of like gift cards....before the government interceded. No on wants to carry a gift card as a liability on their balance sheet for 40 years. Some were too aggressive in their expiration....but there was a reason.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 pm
If you had a business, would you want people buying 10 copies of some old, cheap version you could use for the next several decades??? I doubt it. Going back to my accounting background, this is a big issue. Every license out there that could be activated is a liability. No one wants to carry them on their books. It is sort of like gift cards....before the government interceded. No on wants to carry a gift card as a liability on their balance sheet for 40 years. Some were too aggressive in their expiration....but there was a reason.
I don't know that a license to use software has the same accounting issues as a cash balance gift card. As long as the company is still in business, the marginal cost of a user activating the license is nominal. Someone paid for the old version at then market price (and didn't use it). Assuming the companies prices go up at the rate of inflation or so, don't see how the company is harmed. They had the use of the original purchasers money for the intervening period. YMMV.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Da5id wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:23 pm
I don't know that a license to use software has the same accounting issues as a cash balance gift card. As long as the company is still in business, the marginal cost of a user activating the license is nominal. Someone paid for the old version at then market price (and didn't use it). Assuming the companies prices go up at the rate of inflation or so, don't see how the company is harmed. They had the use of the original purchasers money for the intervening period. YMMV.
But you're paying for a version that doesn't exist if it is that far out. The version available in 2020 is not the same as the version available in 2025. It's like paying for a 2020 model car and then getting a 2025 model car. I have a lot of issues with quicken, but this doesn't bother me at all.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

But you're paying for a version that doesn't exist if it is that far out. The version available in 2020 is not the same as the version available in 2025. It's like paying for a 2020 model car and then getting a 2025 model car. I have a lot of issues with quicken, but this doesn't bother me at all.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:31 pm
spammagnet wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:46 pm Unless they were impolite, how so? You bought 3 year old subscription software with a 2 year lifespan.
Having worked in software, if somebody wanted us to pay now for a comparable future version of the product I expect our sales team would say "yes please". Quicken is a very mature product, changes from year to year are small. They are (IMO) just being greedy. Again, YMMV.
exarkun

Post by exarkun »

Da5id wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:32 pm Having worked in software, if somebody wanted us to pay now for a comparable future version of the product I expect our sales team would say "yes please". Quicken is a very mature product, changes from year to year are small. They are (IMO) just being greedy. Again, YMMV.
I feel the same way. Quicken received payment for a service (subscription to an application) not payment for an application. As the subscription was never used, they should still have an obligation to provide the paid for service.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

exarkun wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:37 pm
Da5id wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:32 pm Having worked in software, if somebody wanted us to pay now for a comparable future version of the product I expect our sales team would say "yes please". Quicken is a very mature product, changes from year to year are small. They are (IMO) just being greedy. Again, YMMV.
I feel the same way. Quicken received payment for a service (subscription to an application) not payment for an application. As the subscription was never used, they should still have an obligation to provide the paid for service.
I disagree. You cannot buy 3 extended warranties for your car and then stack them. There are terms to all agreements of this type. You should understand the terms before purchasing. They got what they paid for. They didn't understand the terms.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:50 pm
exarkun wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:37 pm
I disagree. You cannot buy 3 extended warranties for your car and then stack them. There are terms to all agreements of this type. You should understand the terms before purchasing. They got what they paid for. They didn't understand the terms.
Extended warrantee is not an analogous situation. 2 years worth of Quicken Deluxe, paid for now, but used starting in 3 years, hurts the company not in the least. Money now, service later is fine with a software company. Of course it "hurts" them less if they just keep the money. Yes, Quicken could do it by the terms. I just think they are being greedy.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

One of my Quicken files was refusing to download credit card transactions from Citibank due to an obscure error "... the account's nickname was changed". The first thing I tried worked - deactivate, then reactivate the account.

Unfortunately, the balance was way off and I couldn't find any missing transactions. I then went to open last week's backup and discovered it wasn't there. An earlier backup was there, but not the one from last week. :?

After comparing the most recent backup to the current balance, I found that Quicken had modified the opening balance. In addition to downloading a lot of transactions, deactivating and reactivating the account had changed the opening balance. No clue why, but I figured that Quicken had a good reason - it's not a bug.

It turns out that the backup settings were not correct. I may not have needed to restore from backup since I created this account and never noticed anything was wrong.

My file was set to backup when I opened Quicken every 5 times and keep a maximum of 5 backup copies. If you use Quicken once a week, you'll be missing transactions for the past month.

To fix this, change the backup settings. Here's my settings. Edit --> Preferences --> Backup

- Automated backups is checked
- Set Backup after running Quicken to 1 times
- Set Maximum number of backup copies to 10

A backup isn't worth much if you don't know how to restore your data. (Both for your computer and for Quicken.) Be sure to test restoring your file so you won't be stuck when you need it. Now would be a good time.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Good reminder about backups, and knowing where they are (and of course how to restore properly).

I rely on manual backups in addition to the automatic ones. Quicken prompts me after I've opened the program 4 times and I manually save a backup on a USB drive that is permanently connected to my computer. I've restored successfully a couple of times when I screwed something up in my Quicken file.

My automatic settings are set to 5 - I think I'll bump that up, even though I access Quicken pretty much daily.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I should mention that my Quicken files, along with other sensitive files, are manually backed up to external drives. I also have online backup storage which picks up those files on a daily basis.
yvette

Post by yvette »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:17 am One of my Quicken files was refusing to download credit card transactions from Citibank due to an obscure error "... the account's nickname was changed". The first thing I tried worked - deactivate, then reactivate the account.

Unfortunately, the balance was way off and I couldn't find any missing transactions. I then went to open last week's backup and discovered it wasn't there. An earlier backup was there, but not the one from last week. :?

After comparing the most recent backup to the current balance, I found that Quicken had modified the opening balance. In addition to downloading a lot of transactions, deactivating and reactivating the account had changed the opening balance. No clue why, but I figured that Quicken had a good reason - it's not a bug.

It turns out that the backup settings were not correct. I may not have needed to restore from backup since I created this account and never noticed anything was wrong.

My file was set to backup when I opened Quicken every 5 times and keep a maximum of 5 backup copies. If you use Quicken once a week, you'll be missing transactions for the past month.

To fix this, change the backup settings. Here's my settings. Edit --> Preferences --> Backup

- Automated backups is checked
- Set Backup after running Quicken to 1 times
- Set Maximum number of backup copies to 10

A backup isn't worth much if you don't know how to restore your data. (Both for your computer and for Quicken.) Be sure to test restoring your file so you won't be stuck when you need it. Now would be a good time.
Did you ever figure out the issue with Citibank? We’re having the same issue of downloading. My husband had a macro in place to
Update an excel file. Thanks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I don't know what caused that error in the first place, but deactivating / reactivating the account fixed it.

Edit the account details --> Online Services --> Deactivate

This disconnects you from Citibank. Activate the account and enter the login info. Quicken will find the account (link to existing).

It will proceed to download a bunch of existing transactions and change your opening balance. Just be prepared for that.

Tip: When you want to delete a downloaded transaction, select the Edit button and the drop-down list appears. Just hit the "D" key (Delete) then "Y" (Yes to confirm). It's much quicker than using the mouse to delete. (You still need the mouse to select the drop-down list.)
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

deleted
Last edited by protagonist on Sat May 29, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am I have no intention of going to their subscription model if I can help it. I also have 2016, I believe in April 2019 it will stop downloading. It won't stop working though.

Here is what gets turned off (along with my comments):

The following services will be discontinued:

Online bill pay - DON'T USE
Downloading financial data from your bank, credit union, credit card, brokerage, 401(k) or mutual fund accounts - HOPE TO SIGN ON, CREATE QUICKEN FILE, DOWNLOAD.
Downloading stock quotes, news headlines and other financial information into Quicken - WORSE CASE I WILL UPDATE THE 10 OR SO FUNDS i OWN WEEKLY.
Uploading portfolio information from Quicken to Quicken.com - DON'T USE
Live Support - DON'T USE
Software patches and updates - NOT NEEDED IF YOU'RE NOT DOWNLOADING VIA QUICKEN

https://www.topfinancialtools.com/which ... n-quicken/

https://www.quicken.com/compare
I agree.
I have the 2017 version which is, I believe, the last non-subscription version. I bought it in 2019 off ebay....I imagine it is still available there.
My previous version was, I think, 2010, and it is not much different.
I would rather enter the data myself every month. It takes maybe 15 minutes or so of my time, 30 if I screw up....but if I screw up it is a lot easier to figure out my own mistakes than have to deal with errors made by the software....plus it is important to me to stay on top of my finances, and if it is done automatically I get lazy.
Once you get on the subscription train it is hard to get off.
Not to mention that I feel my financial data is safer on my own computer than in the hands of a corporation in the cloud somewhere.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

protagonist wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:49 pm I agree.
I have the 2017 version which is, I believe, the last non-subscription version. I bought it in 2019 off ebay....I imagine it is still available there.
I would rather enter the data myself every month. It takes maybe 15 minutes or so of my time, 30 if I screw up....but if I screw up it is a lot easier to figure out my own mistakes than have to deal with errors made by the software....plus it is important to me to stay on top of my finances, and if it is done automatically I get lazy.
Not to mention that I feel my financial data is safer on my own computer than in the hands of a corporation in the cloud somewhere.
Does Q not import prices by CSV after the expiration?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

protagonist wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:49 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am I have no intention of going to their subscription model if I can help it. I also have 2016, I believe in April 2019 it will stop downloading. It won't stop working though.

Here is what gets turned off (along with my comments):

The following services will be discontinued:

Online bill pay - DON'T USE
Downloading financial data from your bank, credit union, credit card, brokerage, 401(k) or mutual fund accounts - HOPE TO SIGN ON, CREATE QUICKEN FILE, DOWNLOAD.
Downloading stock quotes, news headlines and other financial information into Quicken - WORSE CASE I WILL UPDATE THE 10 OR SO FUNDS i OWN WEEKLY.
Uploading portfolio information from Quicken to Quicken.com - DON'T USE
Live Support - DON'T USE
Software patches and updates - NOT NEEDED IF YOU'RE NOT DOWNLOADING VIA QUICKEN

https://www.topfinancialtools.com/which ... n-quicken/

https://www.quicken.com/compare
I agree.
Quicken only uploads your data to the cloud if you choose to (for the mobile app). You don't think your data is already accessible via the internet? With any institution that has an online viewing mechanism it is internet accessible. Even the smallest banks/credit unions typically support that now.

Chrome tells me 232 passwords I have stored in Chrome have been found in breaches! Luckily, most are not important.

But if your process works for you, it works. I want my transactions daily (or close to that). I can't remember 2 weeks later what I bought at XYZ store. I don't want to find fraud weeks later...I want to stop it within a day or so. Even though I get text alerts from credit card transactions, I don't get them from my brokerage.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

protagonist wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:49 pm
I agree.
I subscribe, and my data is on my own computer, not "in the cloud somewhere." I don't see why downloading would make it someone be less "on top" of one's finances. For me, regular downloads actually make me closer to my data, and my relatively large number of investment and credit accounts, as I validate and evaluate everything that gets downloaded. In some cases, the downloads confirm what I manually entered.

But for other people, I can appreciate that not downloading makes sense for them, especially for simpler finances. To each his or her own.