Quicken 2019 and forward

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
michaeljc70

Re: Quicken 2019 and forward

Post by michaeljc70 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:00 am My Quicken subscription renewal is due in a few weeks. My PC does not have a CD-ROM drive and I'm having a difficult time finding an online download price less than the Quicken price of $51.99.

It might be worth it to simply let my subscription auto-renew. FYI - Quicken takes PayPal as a payment method.

(Alternatives to Quicken are discussed here: Quicken Alternatives)
I haven't had to renew yet, but do you need the DVD if you already have it installed? I think you can just enter the new code under Help->Enter Activation Code.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Costco has the download of Quicken Deluxe available for $39.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:00 am My Quicken subscription renewal is due in a few weeks. My PC does not have a CD-ROM drive and I'm having a difficult time finding an online download price less than the Quicken price of $51.99.

It might be worth it to simply let my subscription auto-renew. FYI - Quicken takes PayPal as a payment method.

(Alternatives to Quicken are discussed here: Quicken Alternatives)
I believe that you can simply use the code provided in the box to update your subscription and they appear to have a 40% offer right now.

Cheers
hamhocs

Post by hamhocs »

I just renewed. I had Premiere but bought Deluxe off of ebay for about $30. I was sent a CD but never even touched it. I entered the code and threw everything in the trash. It immediately said I had Deluxe until April 2022 (I was set to expire in April 2021).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:06 am I haven't had to renew yet, but do you need the DVD if you already have it installed? I think you can just enter the new code under Help->Enter Activation Code.
The Quicken support forums show that you can indeed enter the new the code.
Silk McCue wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:14 am I believe that you can simply use the code provided in the box to update your subscription and they appear to have a 40% offer right now.
Thanks! I went to the Quicken site.

Click on the "Buy Quicken" link. If you've used that browser session to login, you won't see the discount price. Start a private browser window (no cookies loaded) and see a price of $31.19/year.

Enter your Quicken ID (email). Under Amount Due is:
* Existing subscribers will get pro-rated time added to their subscription.
I purchased via PayPal and got a "Thanks, you don't need to do anything further" screen with choices to upgrade or downgrade the product.

Logging into my account, there is absolutely no mention of my purchase. :? My PayPal account wasn't charged, either.

There's no support today and Monday is a holiday, so I'll have to wait until Tuesday to see what happened. I'm wondering if they're going to apply the purchase when my subscription expires in a few weeks.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:28 pm
I purchased via PayPal and got a "Thanks, you don't need to do anything further" screen with choices to upgrade or downgrade the product.
My read of that English is that you will get 60% of a year's subscription since the 40% discount applies to new subscribers only. Curious what happens in fact.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

stan1 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:32 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:28 pm
My read of that English is that you will get 60% of a year's subscription since the 40% discount applies to new subscribers only. Curious what happens in fact.
I don’t think so. To me it reads you will get credit for your existing subscription and it will be extended a full year beyond that. I forget how to do it but you can check your current subscription end date. I have renewed early and have always received full credit.

Cheers
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My end date hasn't changed (it's in your account profile), which is why I'm concerned.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:32 pm My end date hasn't changed (it's in your account profile), which is why I'm concerned.
As I now recall, I don’t believe my account reflected the new date until prior expiration date passed and I myself was wondering whether or not it would be applied until then.

Cheers
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

That makes sense, as I would assume my PayPal account wouldn't be hit until the subscription renews. However, it would be nice to show something, anything, that says I made the purchase.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

After using a 40% coupon on the page, Amazon has a 12 month Deluxe subscription for $31.19. I am tempted to get it even though my renewal isn't until June. Anyone seen a better deal than that? Last time I got 14 months for around the same price but haven't seen that offer in a long time. It is sold by the Quicken store on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Deluxe-P ... ast_sto_dp.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:00 am My Quicken subscription renewal is due in a few weeks. My PC does not have a CD-ROM drive and...
Interestingly, our library network has a "Library of Things" lending scheme. And an external DVD drive is among those things available for loan, wonder if that is available at your location?
Last edited by Da5id on Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Nice idea, but I do have an external DVD drive available.

What happened since then is that I never bothered to follow-up. Quicken didn't recognize my earlier PayPal online purchase and renewed automatically at the $51.99 price. My PayPal account was never charged and the website doesn't show any record of the purchase.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:48 am After using a 40% coupon on the page, Amazon has a 12 month Deluxe subscription for $31.19. I am tempted to get it even though my renewal isn't until June. Anyone seen a better deal than that? Last time I got 14 months for around the same price but haven't seen that offer in a long time. It is sold by the Quicken store on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Deluxe-P ... ast_sto_dp.
There is a comment in Nov 2020 from a Quicken official account with instructions on how to add the activation code to an existing subscription (and stating that it is valid to do so). I went ahead and got it. Will advise on Monday if it fails.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:40 pm Nice idea, but I do have an external DVD drive available.

What happened since then is that I never bothered to follow-up. Quicken didn't recognize my earlier PayPal online purchase and renewed automatically at the $51.99 price. My PayPal account was never charged and the website doesn't show any record of the purchase.
Very sorry to hear that.

Cheers
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

stan1 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:47 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:48 am After using a 40% coupon on the page, Amazon has a 12 month Deluxe subscription for $31.19. I am tempted to get it even though my renewal isn't until June. Anyone seen a better deal than that? Last time I got 14 months for around the same price but haven't seen that offer in a long time. It is sold by the Quicken store on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Deluxe-P ... ast_sto_dp.
There is a comment in Nov 2020 from a Quicken official account with instructions on how to add the activation code to an existing subscription (and stating that it is valid to do so). I went ahead and got it. Will advise on Monday if it fails.
I'm interested in hearing whether the coupons work as hoped. My "About Quicken" says:

Membership valid until:
Tuesday, June 15, 2021 (100 days from today)
rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser »

I added a year to mine a while back with the same deal so I'm paid up to April of 2022. Does anyone know if I purchase another year right now (while they have this deal) will it work and bump me to April of 2023?
Edit: Just looked. No I can't.

"A membership can only be extended in the last six months of a subscription term. You can extend a subscription term by redeeming an activation code in a retail copy. However, this also can only be done in the last six months of your current subscription term. Therefore, multiple terms cannot be purchased and used at once to extend a membership."
stan1

Post by stan1 »

rivercrosser wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:33 pm I added a year to mine a while back with the same deal so I'm paid up to April of 2022. Does anyone know if I purchase another year right now (while they have this deal) will it work and bump me to April of 2023?

"A membership can only be extended in the last six months of a subscription term. You can extend a subscription term by redeeming an activation code in a retail copy. However, this also can only be done in the last six months of your current subscription term. Therefore, multiple terms cannot be purchased and used at once to extend a membership."
Hmm, I wonder if you could buy now since the sale item is a CD package and not use the activation code until October of 2021?
LSLover

Post by LSLover »

stan1 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:52 pm
rivercrosser wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:33 pm I added a year to mine a while back with the same deal so I'm paid up to April of 2022. Does anyone know if I purchase another year right now (while they have this deal) will it work and bump me to April of 2023?

Hmm, I wonder if you could buy now since the sale item is a CD package and not use the activation code until October of 2021?
All CD boxes have an expiration date printed on them. Make sure yours doesn't expire before you are allowed to extend the subscription.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

My subscription renews next month for Premier. I'm going to downgrade to Deluxe since I don't use Quicken investment cost tracking or bill pay. I'd like to extend the subscription via Amazon CD purchase. Can someone describe the steps to extend the subscription rather than let it auto-renew? (Do you have to cancel the current subscription first, where is the code entered, etc.) It would help folks reading this thread. Thanks in advance!
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
nss20

Post by nss20 »

We used QuickBooks (business version of Quicken) online subscription for many years. The price increases every year are like clockwork. We even had a price increase mid-year. The agreement does allow them to increase the price at any time. I would recommend avoiding the subscription model altogether. Also, consider looking for any alternatives that work for you.
LSLover

Post by LSLover »

TimeRunner wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:09 am My subscription renews next month for Premier. I'm going to downgrade to Deluxe since I don't use Quicken investment cost tracking or bill pay. I'd like to extend the subscription via Amazon CD purchase. Can someone describe the steps to extend the subscription rather than let it auto-renew? (Do you have to cancel the current subscription first, where is the code entered, etc.) It would help folks reading this thread. Thanks in advance!
When you receive the CD in the box, inside the box there will be a card with a code that you need to enter into Quicken (while logged in Quicken find Renew Membership in the Help tab of the Menu). After entering the code, if it’s accepted, your subscription will be extended. That’s it!
stan1

Post by stan1 »

rivercrosser wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:33 pm
This is correct. My CD package from Amazon arrived today. The activation code is prominent on a card inside the sealed plastic box anyone who uses TT or Quicken products will recognize. My subscription expires 9/10/2021. When I entered the activation code in Quicken it told me to wait until 3/9/2021 (tomorrow) and try again. So I guess 6 months plus one day?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Thanks, I'll have to wait 6 months.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

Darn it, I waited too long to get this promo deal. I just tried it and the 40% off coupon is no longer there. It was there last night, but I decided not to click the button last night. Guess I should have. My subscription expires in less than 30 days. Grrrr.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:08 am Darn it, I waited too long to get this promo deal. I just tried it and the 40% off coupon is no longer there. It was there last night, but I decided not to click the button last night. Guess I should have. My subscription expires in less than 30 days. Grrrr.
Same here. I decided to get it over with even though I have a couple months left but I missed the promo. I'm sure they'll be another one sooner or later.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Costco has the download priced at $39. Not quite as good as the former Amazon sale, but better than rack rate.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Best Buy has it for $31.19 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/quicken-de ... toreId=814). In searching, there are other retailers (Staples, Office Depot) that have it on sale for a similar price. Best Buy has it in stock for pick up locally in my area but getting it shipped is $5.49.

Edit: I was able to get the Amazon deal to appear again. However, I saw it on a deal site and it contains an affiliate link which we are not supposed to post. I saw it on SlickDeals.net. I just ordered it.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Strange that this link for Best Buy refers to "new subscribers only." I like yours better :happy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/quicken-de ... uId=6434701
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:29 am Best Buy has it for $31.19 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/quicken-de ... toreId=814). In searching, there are other retailers (Staples, Office Depot) that have it on sale for a similar price. Best Buy has it in stock for pick up locally in my area but getting it shipped is $5.49.

Edit: I was able to get the Amazon deal to appear again. However, I saw it on a deal site and it contains an affiliate link which we are not supposed to post. I saw it on SlickDeals.net. I just ordered it.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Just ordered using the coupon link on Slick Deals - Prime delivery on Thursday. :thumbsup

Search for Quicken AND Amazon, and make sure that the coupon appears in your cart.

Thanks michaeljc70.
rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser »

LSLover wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:18 am

All CD boxes have an expiration date printed on them. Make sure yours doesn't expire before you are allowed to extend the subscription.
I still have my cd and box here in my desk from back in December. I cant find an expiration date anywhere on the box or face of cd. I never used the cd, just typed in the activation code.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

rivercrosser wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:38 am

I still have my cd and box here in my desk from back in December. I cant find an expiration date anywhere on the box or face of cd. I never used the cd, just typed in the activation code.
If you go to the Help menu and choose "About Quicken" it tells when your subscription ends.
rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:42 am

If you go to the Help menu and choose "About Quicken" it tells when your subscription ends.
I know how check my subscription. I was referring to someone's post about if you could purchase a cd now and wait your current is within the 6 month expiration to use it.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

rivercrosser wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:18 pm
I know how check my subscription. I was referring to someone's post about if you could purchase a cd now and wait your current is within the 6 month expiration to use it.
I do not see an expiration date on the CD box either. I don't know if I'd buy 10 CDs to cover 10 years, but might be safe with 2 CDs when a low price is found.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Quicken’s own FAQ is a little cryptic. At least for me, it is not clear what “generated” means.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ership-faq

How long can I extend my membership plan?
A membership can only be extended in the last six months of a subscription term. Therefore, multiple terms cannot be purchased and used at once to extend a membership. Retail purchases: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated.
LSLover

Post by LSLover »

I bought two boxes with 1 yr interval with the CDs in them. Both boxes had expiration date printed at the very bottom of the backside of the box.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Got my Quicken Deluxe from Amazon today. No expiration date visible anywhere on the box or CD case.
scifilover

Post by scifilover »

Now I am wondering if I can let my Premier membership expire, wait a few days, then become a new customer and get a two year deal? Has anyone tried this?
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

The Quicken Deluxe we bought from Amazon has no visible expiration date. Support told me that to downgrade from Premier to Deluxe we turn off the subscription from within the Quicken program, wait until the current subscription expires, then enter the activation code from the Deluxe CD package. (I hope Support is correct!)
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

CardinalRule wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:24 pm Got my Quicken Deluxe from Amazon today. No expiration date visible anywhere on the box or CD case.
I didn't see anything on my box/disc either. I added the code though and it did add the year. It offered me a free month if I signed up for auto-renewal. No thanks.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Worked for me. :thumbsup I entered the code from the Help menu within the program, selecting "Enter Activation Code."

PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

TimeRunner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:07 am The Quicken Deluxe we bought from Amazon has no visible expiration date. Support told me that to downgrade from Premier to Deluxe we turn off the subscription from within the Quicken program, wait until the current subscription expires, then enter the activation code from the Deluxe CD package. (I hope Support is correct!)
That’s what I did last year when I downgraded. I never reinstalled software or anything like that. It will just deactivate Premier features when you apply a Deluxe code. I barely noticed the difference except in my wallet. I never used the Premier features.
exarkun

Post by exarkun »

Anyone willing to test what a new account/subscriber really means?

https://slickdeals.net/f/14888134-quick ... 21-19-more
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

exarkun wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:11 pm Anyone willing to test what a new account/subscriber really means?

It would almost certainly not include using an existing data set.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

spammagnet wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 pm
exarkun wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:11 pm Anyone willing to test what a new account/subscriber really means?

That’s assuming the threat/restrictions are real.

Cheers
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Silk McCue wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:24 pmThat’s assuming the threat/restrictions are real.
True
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Quicken Deluxe is currently on sale at Amazon and other locations for about $31. That includes a year subscription.

On the package it lists a Data access guarantee
"Whether you renew your subscription or not, you will always have full access to & ownership of your data".

It contains the following footnote reference:
"Upon expiration of subscription, users may manually edit, export and enter transactions and accounts. Access to online services, downloads, quotes, mobile sync and Quicken Support will terminate. Subject to Terms of Use. Applies to Deluxe and higher version of Quicken; Starter version will become read-only."
exarkun

Post by exarkun »

spammagnet wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 pm

Why not if you use quicken data on your pc only?
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

exarkun wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:44 pmWhy not if you use quicken data on your pc only?
Silk McCue's assumption that they won't really enforce it may be true, but I would be surprised if there's not some information in the data set about when it was started and what Quicken user ID it's associated with. With that, they could tell you're not a new customer.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Scorpion wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:06 am I have been a loyal Quicken user since 2006, despite its ups and downs. I last bought in 2016, so I haven't had to go to the subscription model yet. I can't remember for sure, but I assume next year around Spring it will shut down my ability to do downloads unless I buy newest version. They have also gone to a subscription based model. A couple of questions:

1. So what is the cheapest way to buy Quicken now? They have a cyber monday sale still going where I can get 2 years of Quicken Premier for $90, which is of course a big ripoff compared to buying a three year license for less than that in the past.

2. Do I even need Quicken Premier? I use quicken for budgeting, investment tracking, including tracking cost basis, IRR calcs, etc.

There are four mentioned Quicken features that are in Premier but not in Deluxe that I have enumerated here:
a) NEW Compare buy-and-hold options with improved portfolio analysis - NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS - I AM A BUY AND HOLD INVESTOR ALREADY, AND WHEN I SELL I MAKE MY OWN SPREADSHEETS TO DETERMINE OPTIMAL TAX LOSS HARVESTING BASED ON QUICKEN BASIS INFO
b) See how your returns compare to market averages* - THIS WAS ALWAYS NICE TO LOOK AT, BUT IT'S NOT WORTH PAYING EXTRA MONEY FOR
c) Track cost basis and create Schedule D tax reports - THIS IS THE HEART OF MY QUESTION. I CERTAINLY USE QUICKEN TO TRACK MY COST BASIS, ALTHOUGH I DON'T USE IT TO PRINT ANY TAX REPORTS. DOES QUICKEN DELUXE TRACK COST BASIS? SURELY IT MUST.
d) Make better buy/sell decisions with market comparisons* - NO IDEA WHAT THIS EVEN IS

So I guess the biggest question is whether Quicken Deluxe lets you track specific id cost basis of shares.

Thanks for your thoughts!