Quicken 2019 and forward

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Scorpion

Quicken 2019 and forward

Post by Scorpion »

I have been a loyal Quicken user since 2006, despite its ups and downs. I last bought in 2016, so I haven't had to go to the subscription model yet. I can't remember for sure, but I assume next year around Spring it will shut down my ability to do downloads unless I buy newest version. They have also gone to a subscription based model. A couple of questions:

1. So what is the cheapest way to buy Quicken now? They have a cyber monday sale still going where I can get 2 years of Quicken Premier for $90, which is of course a big ripoff compared to buying a three year license for less than that in the past.

2. Do I even need Quicken Premier? I use quicken for budgeting, investment tracking, including tracking cost basis, IRR calcs, etc.

There are four mentioned Quicken features that are in Premier but not in Deluxe that I have enumerated here:
a) NEW Compare buy-and-hold options with improved portfolio analysis - NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS - I AM A BUY AND HOLD INVESTOR ALREADY, AND WHEN I SELL I MAKE MY OWN SPREADSHEETS TO DETERMINE OPTIMAL TAX LOSS HARVESTING BASED ON QUICKEN BASIS INFO
b) See how your returns compare to market averages* - THIS WAS ALWAYS NICE TO LOOK AT, BUT IT'S NOT WORTH PAYING EXTRA MONEY FOR
c) Track cost basis and create Schedule D tax reports - THIS IS THE HEART OF MY QUESTION. I CERTAINLY USE QUICKEN TO TRACK MY COST BASIS, ALTHOUGH I DON'T USE IT TO PRINT ANY TAX REPORTS. DOES QUICKEN DELUXE TRACK COST BASIS? SURELY IT MUST.
d) Make better buy/sell decisions with market comparisons* - NO IDEA WHAT THIS EVEN IS

So I guess the biggest question is whether Quicken Deluxe lets you track specific id cost basis of shares.

Thanks for your thoughts!
RickBoglehead

Re: Quicken 2019 and forward

Post by RickBoglehead »

I have no intention of going to their subscription model if I can help it. I also have 2016, I believe in April 2019 it will stop downloading. It won't stop working though.

Here is what gets turned off (along with my comments):

The following services will be discontinued:

Online bill pay - DON'T USE
Downloading financial data from your bank, credit union, credit card, brokerage, 401(k) or mutual fund accounts - HOPE TO SIGN ON, CREATE QUICKEN FILE, DOWNLOAD.
Downloading stock quotes, news headlines and other financial information into Quicken - WORSE CASE I WILL UPDATE THE 10 OR SO FUNDS i OWN WEEKLY.
Uploading portfolio information from Quicken to Quicken.com - DON'T USE
Live Support - DON'T USE
Software patches and updates - NOT NEEDED IF YOU'RE NOT DOWNLOADING VIA QUICKEN

https://www.topfinancialtools.com/which ... n-quicken/

https://www.quicken.com/compare
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I paid $30 in February this year for one year, plus a bonus of a couple of months. Can't remember the whos or whats.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

They modified the subscription thing. It bombed in Canada. I'm still going to stop using it. I bought Quicken 2017 and have a year to go. Most banks won't download to Quicken now. I'm have Moneydance, it can use QFX files and now has my Quicken records back to 2003; one time charge no expiration. I should learn Excel.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

J G Bankerton wrote: Most banks won't download to Quicken now.
I don’t know, but of our 4 banks, 4 download to Quicken.

Of our 2 401k providers, 2 download to Quicken.

Of our many credit cards, all download to Quicken (PenFed does require an export/import).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:42 pm Most banks won't download to Quicken now.
I have to to challenge this statement. I do not believe that is accurate in the least unless you are saying that Canadian banks won't download to it. To my knowledge the great preponderance of financial institutions in the US support downloads to Quicken.

I have been a user for a couple of decades and picked up a 2 yr Quicken 2018 last year on sale. They are making great strides in improving the product and I just upgraded a month or so back to 2019 through the normal update process.

I find the value to be good for what it does for me. I spend more on Nuts at Costco each month.

Cheers.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:47 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Most banks won't download to Quicken now.
I don’t know, but of our 4 banks, 4 download to Quicken.

Of our 2 401k providers, 2 download to Quicken.

Of our many credit cards, all download to Quicken (PenFed does require an export/import).
For me, Wells Fargo no, Chase no, Citi no; USAA yes, Vanguard yes, my credit union yes and Fidelity yes. I have to do a download from the banks site so why should I pay Quicken. I would never use Quicken for other than keeping balances.
ras4250

Post by ras4250 »

J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:56 pm For me, Wells Fargo no, Chase no, Citi no; USAA yes, Vanguard yes, my credit union yes and Fidelity yes. I have to do a download from the banks site so why should I pay Quicken. I would never use Quicken for other than keeping balances.
Quicken works for me to auto download from Chase and Citi.
drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 »

J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:56 pm... Chase no, Citi no; ...
Chase and Citi download fine for me. (My credit card accounts anyway, I don't have checking/savings with either...)
MarkVH0518

Post by MarkVH0518 »

I have no intention of paying annual fees; I thought the 3-year sunset was not justified.
I have Q2017, so my decision point is a further year out.
Nevertheless here is my plan.

Last year, I purchased ImportQIF from QuicknPerlWiz.com (note the missing 'e')
I had stayed on Q97 for over a decade before moving to Q2011.
During that decade without support I had my own awk (primitive Perl) programs for
formatting QIF downloads and yahoo stock prices.

QuicknPerlWiz wrote more sophisticated Perl programs to do the same thing.
I purchased these in advance of my Q2017 license expiration, being concerned that QuicknPerlWiz would disappear.
I did practice with the programs a bit and emailed the Wiz.
He provided some support and did change a program after our brief interaction.

I was a professional programmer (but not any longer).
I could not write programs as sophisticated as the Wiz's, but I do have good intuition on how they work.
That intuition helps when putting them to use.

ImportQIF is, in my words, a mapping program.
If you have a bit of computer experience (moderately sophisticated Excel worksheets)
or ever used regular expressions (a term from computer science math) you have the
background to use ImportQIF.
He has a 30-day trial period.
This will not be for all Quicken users on this forum, but a number will be able to use ImportQIF.

Regards,
Mark
The advantage of Get Rich Slow is that you actually Get Rich.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:56 pm For me, Wells Fargo no, Chase no, Citi no; USAA yes, Vanguard yes, mken for oty credit union yes and Fidelity yes. I have to do a download from the banks site so why should I pay Quicken. I would never use Quicher than keeping balances.
Wells Fargo does but they will charge you $3 per month for it. That's on them not Quicken. Chase and Citi cards both download.

I download 17 accounts daily. Before my MIL passed away that number was over 25. I would never consider doing that by hand. If you have very few accounts then downloading is not a problem.

One of the benefits I like are reports I can quickly create on demand with a few keystrokes and clicks. I also like the feature of being able to search for a keyword across all accounts for all time. I've had need to find some historical transactions recently and that feature works like a charm.

There maybe "better" or "cheaper" solutions but this product is a perfect fit for my needs.

Cheers
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am Downloading financial data from your bank, credit union, credit card, brokerage, 401(k) or mutual fund accounts - HOPE TO SIGN ON, CREATE QUICKEN FILE, DOWNLOAD.

This will not work if your quicken is "expired", they have code built into the software to prevent it...

It becomes manual entry of transactions only once it expires.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Toons

Post by Toons »

User since 1993
Subscription Now
Well worth it for me.
What is money for?
Goods and Services.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

SimonJester wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:40 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am Downloading financial data from your bank, credit union, credit card, brokerage, 401(k) or mutual fund accounts - HOPE TO SIGN ON, CREATE QUICKEN FILE, DOWNLOAD.

This will not work if your quicken is "expired", they have code built into the software to prevent it...

Thanks.

My latest download summary as follows:

2 banks and 1 credit card fail all the time. Vanguard is 1/2 correct in the transactions, I end up fixing them.

I suspect when the time comes I will manually update.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Quicken downloads and updates all of our accounts including Chase and Citi.

I think the subscription model is just fine because I simply can't write the program myself and so,
I pay a small fee for the folks at Quicken to do so.

Yes, Quicken Deluxe keeps a cost basis.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I'm running the 2017 version, although since the day after I installed it they have been prompting me to upgrade. :annoyed
I do all manual entry. The only "updates" I do are the share prices in my portfolio each week or two. I will be following this thread to read the feedback on upgrading to the newer/subscription model-- or not. See how long I can hold out into 2020 or beyond.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Youngblood wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:20 pm Quicken downloads and updates all of our accounts including Chase and Citi.

I think the subscription model is just fine because I simply can't write the program myself and so,
I pay a small fee for the folks at Quicken to do so.

Yes, Quicken Deluxe keeps a cost basis.

YB
+1
Most Everybody has to make a living :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

SimonJester wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:40 pm
That and other things to come. I found a program that works with Quicken files so I'm good.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I just upgraded my Quicken Deluxe 2016 to a 2019 Quicken Deluxe subscription. 2 years for $70. It’s worth it to me.

Quicken Deluxe does everything I have needed. It will track cost basis using either Average Cost or lot basis. It will generate the data needed to input into tax software to complete Schedule D.
Cpadave

Post by Cpadave »

Will quicken 2017 also stop downloading next spring or just the 2016 version? I can't believe they can actually do that. I don't remember when I bought the software it said it would stop working after certain number of years. I hate the subscription model, since they charge so much compared to the stand alone version. That is what happens when private equity buys business. Only thing they care about is the carried interest profit from selling this company later.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Cpadave wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:14 am Will quicken 2017 also stop downloading next spring or just the 2016 version? I can't believe they can actually do that. I don't remember when I bought the software it said it would stop working after certain number of years. I hate the subscription model, since they charge so much compared to the stand alone version. That is what happens when private equity buys business. Only thing they care about is the carried interest profit from selling this company later.
Quicken 2017 will continue to process downloads until April 30, 2020.

I suspect that had they not moved to a subscription model to generate on-going revenue that enhancement, maintenance and support of the product would have continued to lag. If you don't want to pay for that don't use them. I for one find real value in the product and coming from a career in software understand the need for the change in the business model.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ion-policy

Cheers
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

TomatoTomahto sez
I download from Penfed fine.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I was very resistant to the subscription model at first, but now I actually like it. The old system was very buggy on my machine. Updates would sometimes disable functions for weeks or longer. I have had no such problems since the switch to the subscription model. Now the program is updated more frequently, but it runs smoothly. I have had no problems downloading from my financial institutions. I'd say that any downloading problem is a problem with your financial institution, not with Quicken.
Cpadave

Post by Cpadave »

I don't mind the subscription model. I have a problem with the price. I would be ok if they just took the price of stand alone and divided by 3 or 2 for each year. This would have been what most users would had paid if the bought stand alone before. But now, the want to charge more in year than what most users had paid at discount for stand alone.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

GuyInFL wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:44 am
TomatoTomahto sez
I download from Penfed fine.
I will refresh my PenFed download. I only use it a few times a month, so hadn’t bothered with it for a few years. Thanks.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

[/quote]

Thanks.

My latest download summary as follows:

2 banks and 1 credit card fail all the time. Vanguard is 1/2 correct in the transactions, I end up fixing them.

I suspect when the time comes I will manually update.
[/quote]

Qkn 2019 seemed to fix my Vanguard brokerage downloads, I use VAdvantage. YMMV
woody86

Post by woody86 »

Is there a good free alternative?
Or just stick with 2016?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Toons wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:49 pm User since 1993
Subscription Now
Well worth it for me.
What is money for?
Goods and Services.
:mrgreen:

+1

We use the Quicken subscription service. We selected the cheapest basic version of Quicken. I mainly use the cash flow and expense reports.

We keep track of our investments on the Vanguard Website.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Quicken changed the business model for the following reasons:

1) A large percentage of their sales were tied to the fact that Quicken and TurboTax were both owned by Intuit. When they split apart, those sales no longer would happen.

2) To split into two companies required financing. Quicken was purchased by private equity firm H.I.G. Capital, and Eric Dunn, the General Manager of Quicken while at Intuit.

3) Cashflow - all of the past purchases of Quicken, before the split in early 2016, went into Intuit's pocket. For those that had purchased the standalone product, we weren't going to spend money again until 2019, when our 2016 version stopped working (same with the 2015 version owners, not spending money until 2018, and the 2014 version owners, not spending money until 2017). By then, Quicken would be out of business.

4) To improve the program, they have to spend money to write code.

I agree with the recent comment - if they divided the true cost that we paid in the market for 3 years of CD usage by 3, I'd buy it no problem. I bought Quicken Deluxe for $10.16 direct from Intuit on 4/10/16 (seemed like a good price :shock: ). When I bought it in January 2014 I paid $35.36, and got a $40 rebate. :D
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Rupert wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:46 am I was very resistant to the subscription model at first, but now I actually like it. The old system was very buggy on my machine. Updates would sometimes disable functions for weeks or longer. I have had no such problems since the switch to the subscription model. Now the program is updated more frequently, but it runs smoothly. I have had no problems downloading from my financial institutions. I'd say that any downloading problem is a problem with your financial institution, not with Quicken.

+1

I agree with everything you said. The program runs smoothly ever since the subscription service. It seems the developers are doing a great job working out the bugs and keeping the program up to date.

This is no longer the buggy Quicken we were used to.
Last edited by lostdog on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
Topic Author
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

This discussion has convinced me I need to buy the new version, so I bought it last night before the "Cyber Monday" sale expired. I'm somewhat regretting it, though, since the license starts immediately (which I didn't realize), and I would have waited until April 2019 otherwise. I could choose to refund it in the 30 day period. Does anyone know what kind of sales they had this year around the end of April? I paid $63.35 for 2 years last night. 63.35 / 24 months = 2.63 per month, plus the extra five months I am paying to get to April that I wouldn't have had to pay if I had waited (2.63 x 5 months = 13.15). 63.35+13.15=$76.50. So if Quicken would charge me less than $38.25 ($76.50/2) per year in April, it would have been better to wait and I should refund. I know, not a lot of money, but hey, I fit the Boglehead stereotype... :happy
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Scorpion wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:20 am This discussion has convinced me I need to buy the new version, so I bought it last night before the "Cyber Monday" sale expired. I'm somewhat regretting it, though, since the license starts immediately (which I didn't realize), and I would have waited until April 2019 otherwise. I could choose to refund it in the 30 day period. Does anyone know what kind of sales they had this year around the end of April? I paid $63.35 for 2 years last night. 63.35 / 24 months = 2.63 per month, plus the extra five months I am paying to get to April that I wouldn't have had to pay if I had waited (2.63 x 5 months = 13.15). 63.35+13.15=$76.50. So if Quicken would charge me less than $38.25 ($76.50/2) per year in April, it would have been better to wait and I should refund. I know, not a lot of money, but hey, I fit the Boglehead stereotype... :happy
I would view this as an early Christmas present to yourself. Unwrap the toy and play with it.

Ok, not a toy but more like new underwear and socks from your practical Aunt.

Cheers
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

lostdog wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:00 am
Rupert wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:46 am I was very resistant to the subscription model at first, but now I actually like it. The old system was very buggy on my machine. Updates would sometimes disable functions for weeks or longer. I have had no such problems since the switch to the subscription model. Now the program is updated more frequently, but it runs smoothly. I have had no problems downloading from my financial institutions. I'd say that any downloading problem is a problem with your financial institution, not with Quicken.

+1

I agree with everything you said. The program runs smoothly ever since the subscription service. It seems the developers are doing a great job working out the bugs and keeping the program up to date.

This is no longer the buggy Quicken we were used to.
+1
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I too have 2016 so in same situation. I actually have Home and Business, which I am sure is overkill, because I only occasionally work 1099, and I really don't use any business features.

I see where you can get deluxe on quicken site for $29.99, based upon the reduced bugginess reports here I may pull the trigger. Torn between doing that and waiting it out until March/April.

Does the subscription go 365 days, or carry you through the end of the 2019 calendar year?

I have no issue with paying $30-$40 a year, but I'm concerned I'll be over a barrel in a year and they will up the price a lot. But I don't have a lot of choices. I don't think there is anything else out there that is comparable, and I'm not going to spend a whole bunch of time building spreadsheets to do it, and even then I would have to go online to dozens of accounts and do manual downloads, which would be a pain.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

JBTX wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:37 am Does the subscription go 365 days, or carry you through the end of the 2019 calendar year?
Subscription is date to date - 1 year in this case.

Cheers
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Silk McCue wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:51 am
JBTX wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:37 am Does the subscription go 365 days, or carry you through the end of the 2019 calendar year?

Cheers
If that is the case, I'm inclined to just wait it out.

Quicken Deluxe for a year is $30. Is that very unusual to get that low, or is this price not uncommon.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

JBTX wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Cheers

Quicken Deluxe for a year is $30. Is that very unusual to get that low, or is this price not uncommon.
Sorry I don't know about their sales throughout the year. I purchased mine a year ago for a 2 year deal tied to Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

HOWEVER, If you buy the CD version and don't load and register it until next year I expect your license would start upon registration date. You could ask them.

Cheers
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Silk McCue wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Cheers

Sorry I don't know about their sales throughout the year. I purchased mine a year ago for a 2 year deal tied to Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

HOWEVER, If you buy the CD version and don't load and register it until next year I expect your license would start upon registration date. You could ask them.

Cheers
That is an interesting suggestion! Thanks.
gbronc

Post by gbronc »

Been a user of Quicken since 1993.

I can tell you that I download 12 accounts daily with no problem.

When a download is continuously failing for an institution, you most likely need to Deactivate it and then Reactivate it via the Account Details form under the failing Account. It's a minor pain and it shouldn't happen, but it has always fixed it for me. I have run into only a few accounts over the years that won't download after resetting. You can Google that as a solution.

As for paying for the subscription, I am fine with it. They have a sophisticated product with a very large code base and limited user base and need revenue somehow, so I'll contribute to keep them functioning and improving the product. All the other alternatives, at least for me, are weaker and clunkier.
maineminder

Post by maineminder »

gbronc wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 pm Been a user of Quicken since 1993.

I can tell you that I download 12 accounts daily with no problem.

When a download is continuously failing for an institution, you most likely need to Deactivate it and then Reactivate it via the Account Details form under the failing Account. It's a minor pain and it shouldn't happen, but it has always fixed it for me. I have run into only a few accounts over the years that won't download after resetting. You can Google that as a solution.

As for paying for the subscription, I am fine with it. They have a sophisticated product with a very large code base and limited user base and need revenue somehow, so I'll contribute to keep them functioning and improving the product. All the other alternatives, at least for me, are weaker and clunkier.
I'll second this but I'm hedging on the subscription model and waiting.

30 years of data, active since 1996, 16 institutions, 35 collective accounts that get downloaded pretty much daily. Every few weeks an account will get a return code but it generally gets sorted out without my effort in a few days. The worst that has happened is that deactivate/activate thing, but I usually get a heads up from the institution that I need to do this since there is some software change that requires it. Yes, it can be a pain.

Without a better alternative, and I've tried many, I'm stuck with Quicken and will eventually get pushed to the subscription.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I got lucky on timing so have Q2017 without a subscription and will stay with that until I need to upgrade it. At that time I will get a subscription. I have been a user since 1998 and for the most part Quicken does what I need it to do, and in the few areas where it doesn't (asset allocation) I have used a spreadsheet for almost as long.

The 1980s/90s business model where a company sold a piece of software (discounted) for $20 which could be used by the consumer for decades has gone away. Companies need cash flow to improve the product and can't rely entirely on new users. Business software has been licensed with annual maintenance fees for decades. We can complain and wish for the old model to come back but it is not going to. I'd rather pay for a subscription than use no cost online software that mines my data. I never had problems with bugs or missing features but I can tell they are making small improvements even in the incremental Q2017 releases. The software has a value proposition for me. I also pay to remove ads in iPhone apps I enjoy using.

I'd guess Quicken has a pretty big demographics problem -- more users like me that have been customers for a long time who eventually will be too old to care anymore or be dead and not so many in their 20s who are just starting out with decades of use ahead. I hope they can figure that out.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Cheers

I think that’s pretty low. I’ve been waiting for black friday pricing but they were advertising 30% off last week and this past weekend as the lowest price this year so I went with 2 years at $70. Figures a few days after that they go to 40% off. It’s only $10 over 2 years so oh well.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Cheers

I think that’s pretty low. I’ve been waiting for black friday pricing but they were advertising 30% off last week and this past weekend as the lowest price this year so I went with 2 years at $70. Figures a few days after that they go to 40% off. It’s only $10 over 2 years so oh well.
I may actually opt for this

https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Personal ... merReviews

$38.49 for 14 months, and I can get disk and install/register whenever I like. The quicken site is download and registers upon purchase
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I'm good with Q2017 for another 17 months or so. I have been using Quicken for decades. I find the data valuable and haven't found any good alternatives. If the price becomes what I deem excessive, I will consider dumping it for something else inferior. I download from Chase, TDA, Etrade, Vanguard, B of A, Citi, etc. without problems.

My main complaints are too many bugs after 20+ years and the lack of innovation/new USEFUL features. I know it becomes harder and harder to add useful features on a mature product, but there are several things I could use that aren't there. Particularly more flexibility in reporting (maybe even opening it up to completely custom reports for those more technologically advanced).
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Citi Price Rewind provides price protection for 60 days after purchase.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I guess I’m not as frugal as y’all, but honestly, Quicken is worth a few hundred dollars a year to me. I’ve developed and maintained software; it’s a royal PITA.

I was once a good Excel/VBA developer, but I wouldn’t consider writing my own code to maintain my tax lots. For double digit per year cost, someone else will do it, and daily price and transaction updates, and reports, and ...
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

I no longer trust Quicken. It is owned venture capitalists whos only reason to exist is to extract as much money as possible from their temporary holdings. They have shown that writing ransomware into Quicken is not beneath them. It took a life time to build up in my investments and I do not want ransomware writers having all of my passwords.
jpdion

Post by jpdion »

For me Quicken's price is less than the value I get out of it. Price is fixed, but each individual must place their own value on what the product does for them. There's a lot of behavioral economics happening in the discussion of Quicken here in terms of price shopping, which is okay. I'm just not sure foregoing the value of the product because of a change in pricing policy serves one's interest in efficient personal financial management. I wonder what the experience of the new Quicken company is with number of subscribers/revenue and profitability. I imagine if there was legitimate competition for the product pricing might be somewhat more palatable - but I really haven't seen something that is competitive in terms of features and function.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

jpdion wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:15 am For me Quicken's price is less than the value I get out of it. Price is fixed, but each individual must place their own value on what the product does for them. There's a lot of behavioral economics happening in the discussion of Quicken here in terms of price shopping, which is okay. I'm just not sure foregoing the value of the product because of a change in pricing policy serves one's interest in efficient personal financial management. I wonder what the experience of the new Quicken company is with number of subscribers/revenue and profitability. I imagine if there was legitimate competition for the product pricing might be somewhat more palatable - but I really haven't seen something that is competitive in terms of features and function.
I think you are right. Though I gripe and threaten to stop using it, after 20+ years unless the price gets crazy in reality keep I will using it. It is something I use almost daily.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:05 am I no longer trust Quicken. It is owned venture capitalists whos only reason to exist is to extract as much money as possible from their temporary holdings. They have shown that writing ransomware into Quicken is not beneath them. It took a life time to build up in my investments and I do not want ransomware writers having all of my passwords.
Wow! Just wow!

Cheers