Any Boglehead powerlifters?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
corn18

Re: Any Boglehead powerlifters?

Post by corn18 »

HoleInTheAir wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:41 am
corn18 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:07 pm
HoleInTheAir wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:12 pm Lifted weights for football in high school, did a bodybuilding show in college, and then really focused on PL, and got up to a 330 bench, 585 deadlift, and 510 squat. I was about 215 at the time.

Since that time, I started doing some hard running, and managed a 5:28 mile and 19:57 5K at 5'11, 200 pounds.

Now, I don't run much as I find it takes away from squatting, and pulling but currently:

5'11, 195 lbs
Some recents:
Bench - 300x1
Press - 160x5
Squat - 375x10, 465x1
Deadlift - 435x10, 500x4, 550x1

Some of you also might find this cool. For my wedding, one of my good friends who also loves lifting and was a groomsman, did a liftoff with me.

Max Reps #225 Bench
Max Reps #315 Squat
Max Reps #135 Press
Max Reps #405 Deadlift

I won 67 vs 62, going 16/22/14/15, and he went 16/15/18/13
I like the progression of 1,2,3,4 plates.

Yeah, we thought it was cool, too. Was a lot of fun. Made for a sore wedding! Haha
Hope it didn't impact the honeymoon! :D
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
grog

Post by grog »

I'm hardly a powerlifter but I do some barbell lifts and I've read the Starting Strength book. My favorite lift by far is the overhead press. The best I've done is 110 lb for 5 reps. I would like to get up to 135. I don't bench very often currently. I try to squat at least once a week. I like to do them with lower weight and highish reps. I'll usually do something like 155 for 10 reps. When I focus too much on MOAR WEIGHT I find my form breaks down. And since I'm a desk jockey my hips and hamstrings tend to get tight so I'm hesitant to really let loose. I think I could do a rep with two plates if I had to. My legs feel strong enough to do more, but my lower back feels strained at higher weights, especially with the "low bar" style in SS. I do more of a high bar now. At my yuppie gym I only occasionally see people squatting even two plates at depth. I've started doing front squats recently and that is hard! I only do like 100 lbs because I don't feel comfortable with the lift yet. I haven't done much deadlifting in a while but I did like 255x3 about two years ago. That is pretty bad, I know, but it was actually my grip that was the limiting factor and I never really cared for the mixed grip or straps or any of that.

After having tried out the Starting Strength, linear progression style routines, I suspect I would have been better off with a more traditional general fitness bodybuilding type program and that's pretty much what I've moved to. My complete thoughts on it would be a whole 'nother post, but briefly: if you're even somewhat interested in aesthetics and upper body development you might look at other programs. I still think the barbell lifts are good exercises and excellent measures of progress, but you can do them in loads of different programs. Currently I've been doing a Push-Pull-Legs style routine and it is great.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

grog wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:33 pm I think I could do a rep with two plates if I had to. My legs feel strong enough to do more, but my lower back feels strained at higher weights, especially with the "low bar" style in SS. I do more of a high bar now. At my yuppie gym I only occasionally see people squatting even two plates at depth. I've started doing front squats recently and that is hard! I only do like 100 lbs because I don't feel comfortable with the lift yet. I haven't done much deadlifting in a while but I did like 255x3 about two years ago. That is pretty bad, I know, but it was actually my grip that was the limiting factor and I never really cared for the mixed grip or straps or any of that.

If your lower back is feeling strained it could be because your form is breaking down- especially if you are "winking" at the bottom of the lift (back rounding out).

Personally, I've never really maxed out my squat. More than other lifts, I find that as weight goes up, form just keeps getting worse. I always back off when my form is suspect, not when I am physically unable to do a lift. You also have the problem with squats that you have to dump the bar if you fail. Fine at a hardcore gym, but most globo gyms won't be happy if you dump hundreds of pounds onto the floor or spotter bars.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm
grog wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:33 pm I think I could do a rep with two plates if I had to. My legs feel strong enough to do more, but my lower back feels strained at higher weights, especially with the "low bar" style in SS. I do more of a high bar now. At my yuppie gym I only occasionally see people squatting even two plates at depth. I've started doing front squats recently and that is hard! I only do like 100 lbs because I don't feel comfortable with the lift yet. I haven't done much deadlifting in a while but I did like 255x3 about two years ago. That is pretty bad, I know, but it was actually my grip that was the limiting factor and I never really cared for the mixed grip or straps or any of that.

If your lower back is feeling strained it could be because your form is breaking down- especially if you are "winking" at the bottom of the lift (back rounding out).

Personally, I've never really maxed out my squat. More than other lifts, I find that as weight goes up, form just keeps getting worse. I always back off when my form is suspect, not when I am physically unable to do a lift. You also have the problem with squats that you have to dump the bar if you fail. Fine at a hardcore gym, but most globo gyms won't be happy if you dump hundreds of pounds onto the floor or spotter bars.
One item I learned over the years with a sore or pulled back: it is usually the result of weak abs.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

abuss368 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:39 pm
alfaspider wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm

One item I learned over the years with a sore or pulled back: it is usually the result of weak abs.
I suppose it's a bit chicken and egg. If your core is weak, you won't be able to keep your form good.
camillus

Post by camillus »

Just wanted to join the thread. How fun.

Two months ago I started Stronglifts 5x5, with the empty bar with each exercise and have linearly progressed since then. I'm 35, 6'3" with very skinny long arms (very easily touching pinkie finger to thumb around the opposite wrist), starting weight 227 lbs, now 209. Still targeting my spare tire (skinny fat guy). The other app I'm using is MyFitnessPal, and I have kept to a 2000 calorie/day diet for the most part.

So you can see I have some conflicting goals: moderate-volume strength training and weight loss. I think I'm at the point where I'm plateauing because my calories are in a fair deficit.

Press: 80 lbs
Bench: 130 lbs
BB Row: 145 lbs
Squat: 165 lbs
Deadlift: 225 lbs

I lifted a tiny bit in college, of the above having only done the bench. Back then I mainly did "bro-split" isolation exercises with my roommate. I really enjoy these big compound movements.

The numbers I see in this thread are eye popping! Those with experience - let me know what you think about my conflicting goals (diet & lifting). I wouldn't take this as medical advice, but as advice over a mutual hobby.
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
FRT15

Post by FRT15 »

What abdominal exercises are recommended for those with lower back pain? I have avoided abs thinking it is what makes my back sore but that could be all wrong.
guymontag

Post by guymontag »

FRT15 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:37 pm One item I learned over the years with a sore or pulled back: it is usually the result of weak abs.

What abdominal exercises are recommended for those with lower back pain? I have avoided abs thinking it is what makes my back sore but that could be all wrong.
I am not a medical doctor and I don’t play one on TV but look into pelvic tilts, bird dogs/airplanes, side planks and regular planks. I don’t do regular planks for time, rather strong contractions than endurance.

https://www.absolutept.com/back-pain/
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

camillus wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:45 pm
The numbers I see in this thread are eye popping! Those with experience - let me know what you think about my conflicting goals (diet & lifting). I wouldn't take this as medical advice, but as advice over a mutual hobby.

Staying in calorie deficit can inhibit your gains, but it sounds like you are still looking to lose weight. I don't think there's too much harm in sticking to a 2,000 calorie diet in your situation- that's hardly starvation. You are also likely still in the easy beginner gains stage, which means you can still add strength and lose weight simultaneously. Once you are as lean as you want to be, then start slowly upping the calories and see how your body reacts. After the beginner gains are over, it's much more difficult to both cut down and get stronger.

As for the big numbers, keep in mind that especially for smaller-framed and lanky people (such as myself), strength gains can be quite slow. For example, I started at around 100lbs bench press and did not hit 200lbs until almost 3 years of consistent (at least once a week) bench pressing. The gorilla-built types tend to have a much easier time adding muscle mass, but most also have an easier time adding fat, so it's a double-edge sword.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

FRT15 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:37 pm One item I learned over the years with a sore or pulled back: it is usually the result of weak abs.

Crunches with legs up 45 degrees. As you crunch up lift your hips up an inch or two. I read this from Arnold Schwarzenegger and it works.
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Best core/ab exercise I have ever encountered is the deadlift. Second best is squats. They engage the core completely and build core strength, not just core endurance like planking and what not.

Now there is an intermediate level that can and should be accomplished if you have no core strength whatsoever. That is the leg lift as described by the previous poster. Planking is fine, too for very low impact. Crunches are silly.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Front/Back Squats, Sumo/Regular Deadlift, Bench, Row, OHP combined with sprints is an effective workout. Just as important is what/how much you eat/drink. You can also only go so far lifting "naturally" unfortunately which can be frustrating. I find Olympic lifters very impressive and bodybuilding kind of sick.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You're thinking that back pain is cause by weak abs (the muscle group which counters the back). That may not be the case, so please get someone with a medical background to find out what's wrong.

Body weight exercises can do wonders. Here is a very good exercise for your back: Superman (Caveat: I'm not a doctor, but a PT person had my husband do this exercise when he had back problems.)

For body weight exercises, skim through this thread: Pull-ups and Push-ups
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

corn18 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:26 am Crunches are silly.
Hi corn18 -

As noted earlier I read about crunches from Arnold. With the poundages I moved over the years this always worked very well. Especially with any back flare ups.

It has been my experience and the experience of other powerlifters and bodybuilders (both professional and amateur) that I have talked with, that the most important aspect of the iron sport is being able to find what works best for you.

Best.
Bastiat

Post by Bastiat »

I did Starting Strength (minus the gallon of whole-milk thing) when I really started lifting in my 20's and then moved on to Wendler's (5/3/1) - some back and forth. When work is too busy to really workout for a while I always come back to some variant of SS to start off.

www.blackironbeast.com is a great resource for those looking for programs/calculators or beginners looking to get stronger. Starting Strength is a good book.
megabad wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:12 pm
Turbo29 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:46 pm 62yo, 5'10", 194lb. Only do free weights, no machines.

Bench press 200x1
Standing press 135x1
Squat 315x1
Deadlift 385x1

Long arms help my deadlift and hurt my presses.
All of a sudden I feel old and flabby when looking in the mirror. Jeez. Very impressive. My knees starting cracking (loudly) during squats about 10 years ago and I am not 62 yet. My philosophy is as long as I can carry anyone in my immediate family to safety if needed than I am fine. Fortunately, I don't have too many folks at 400lbs in my family. There is actually a dog in the family that outweighs most of them. Needless to say, I am closer to the garage gym person than the "powerlifter" person.
Just FYI, my knees started cracking during squats when I started squatting at 19 or so. It isn't a bad thing if it doesn't hurt and your form is good (many people you see in the gym haven't a clue how to squat properly - the 1/4 squat and "look at the ceiling" crowd).
trumpet83

Post by trumpet83 »

Wow, there are some really good lifters on this thread!

I've never competed in powerlifting, but I've done 9 bodybuilding shows. 7 throughout college, culminating in a win of a "Natural" Pro card and then last year I won a Physique competition that earned pro status in that classification as well.

Lifting-wise the strongest I've been was a 495lb Deadlift, 270 bench and 405 squat at 5'9, 190. I did that in my early 20's. Now, at 35 i can still squat and bench well but deadlifts give me problems.

Some have already mentioned resources that show how informed everyone is and I too like the Rippetoe books, Brad Schoenfeld research, etc. In terms of powerlifting Chad Wesley Smith has great stuff, along with Layne Norton. Also, check out Greg Nuckols blog called StrengthTheory. Very technical. Another who has great talks online is Mike Zourdos who goes into advanced programming topics. Last, but not least, it's not powerlifting but look up John Meadows on YouTube and listen through "The John Meadows Story". Man, what that guy persevered through was really impressive. Ok, one more for general training ideas is Stan Efferding and his "Rhinos Rants" on YouTube.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Training the kid who is in 8th grade! He is now benching 185 with a pause. Freakish strong and crazy.

I have taken him under my WING for two years. The results are light years ahead of where I was at his age!

Once in while I can’t resist and hop on the bench to show him the OLD MAN still has some gas in the tank.

Tony
kgressler

Post by kgressler »

.deleted
Last edited by kgressler on Fri May 07, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Very old thread, but wondering if I could get some feedback on whether I should switch anything up with my fitness routine.

6' 5", 230 lbs, lanky

Lift 3x per week, 3 sets of 5-10 reps to failure for each exercise except deadlifts

Push Day - dumbbell chest press, face pulls, dumbbell incline press, chest fly using machine or cables, dips, dumbbell shoulder press
Pull Day - Pendlay rows, pullups, dumbbell rows, dumbbell curls, rear fly, shoulder inner/outer rotations
Leg Day - deadlifts (1x5 warm-up, 1x3-5 heavy, 1x3-5 slightly lighter), machine leg curls, calf raises, leg press depending on how I'm feeling

I typically start with 100 lbs dumbbells for chest press. My deadlift is around 325x3 on my second set these days. It used to be around 435x1.

I go to a class called "solidcore" once a week which gives a great core workout and with some other pilates-type exercises that kicks my ass. Depending on the week, there will be leg and/or upper body work.

I used to hurt my back badly occasionally doing deadlifts. As in, I'd be in terrible pain for 1 or 2 days whether moving or sitting, and I'd avoid lifting for a couple weeks. It's been a long time since I did that lifting. I think my form is better. It did happen once playing basketball a year and a half ago.

I typically do 1-3 days of cardio each week -- running, biking, elliptical. I used to play sports like basketball and Ultimate ~3x/week before the pandemic.
HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir »

Ketawa wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:35 pm Very old thread, but wondering if I could get some feedback on whether I should switch anything up with my fitness routine.

6' 5", 230 lbs, lanky

Lift 3x per week, 3 sets of 5-10 reps to failure for each exercise except deadlifts

Push Day - dumbbell chest press, face pulls, dumbbell incline press, chest fly using machine or cables, dips, dumbbell shoulder press
Pull Day - Pendlay rows, pullups, dumbbell rows, dumbbell curls, rear fly, shoulder inner/outer rotations
Leg Day - deadlifts (1x5 warm-up, 1x3-5 heavy, 1x3-5 slightly lighter), machine leg curls, calf raises, leg press depending on how I'm feeling

I typically start with 100 lbs dumbbells for chest press. My deadlift is around 325x3 on my second set these days. It used to be around 435x1.

I go to a class called "solidcore" once a week which gives a great core workout and with some other pilates-type exercises that kicks my ass. Depending on the week, there will be leg and/or upper body work.

I used to hurt my back badly occasionally doing deadlifts. As in, I'd be in terrible pain for 1 or 2 days whether moving or sitting, and I'd avoid lifting for a couple weeks. It's been a long time since I did that lifting. I think my form is better. It did happen once playing basketball a year and a half ago.

I typically do 1-3 days of cardio each week -- running, biking, elliptical. I used to play sports like basketball and Ultimate ~3x/week before the pandemic.
When I help people, I always suggest they look at what they're doing now - if anything - and identify the things you enjoy doing already, and those you do not. I find that people spend a lot of time coming up with the 'perfect' routine, but it is not sustainable if they hate what they're forcing themselves to do.

I suggest full-body training four times per week, and then on the other three days, do some cardio and/or get outside.

For full body days, I would arrange them like this:
* Vertical Push or Horizontal Push
* Hip Hinge or Quad Dominant Movement
* Vertical Pull or Horizontal Pull
* Upper Accessory 1
* Upper Accessory 2
* Lower Accessory 1

On the three non-training days, as mentioned, you could go for a walk, jog, stationary row, swim, etc. If you feel inclined, you could add in some abdominal work on two or all three days.

For example, you might do Overhead Press, Deadlifts, Pull-Ups, DB Curls, Machine Tricep Extensions, and then Leg Extensions. The next day you might do Weighted Dips, Front Squats, Underhand Lat Pull-Downs, DB Laterals, DB Hammer Curls, and Leg Curls. I'd commit to each of the 'slots' being the same for 6-8 weeks, and then rotate a new movement in that you want to try. I'd stay around 2-4 working sets of 8-20 working reps for all lifts, perhaps doing fewer reps on the compound exercises and more on the accessories. Week to week, I would try to add weight to those working sets, or increment the reps up.

I've found this is an easy way to still get the movement patterns in for people who don't like certain movements, say squats or deadlifts. There are no exercises that are an absolute must if you hate them, and I think it helps keep people going. Plus, when you train full-body, most every muscle group gets hit to some degree four times per week, which helps if you are training more for bodybuilding or powerlifting, where frequency is a very useful tool for improving those sports. If four times per week is a bit much, maybe start with three, and stay on the lower end of the volume (sets wise) for a while.

Let me know if you have questions.
HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir »

To give you an idea on what it might look like in practice.

Day 1
Overhead Press w/ belt
Deadlift w/ belt
Weighted Pull-Ups
DB Curls
Tricep Extensions
Leg Curls

Day 2
Weighted Dips
Beltless Front Squat
Underhand Lat Pull-Downs
DB Laterals
DB Hammer Curls
Leg Extensions

Day 3
Seated DB Press
Sumo Deadlift w/ belt
BB Rows
Machine Laterals
EZ-Bar Skullcrushers
Calf Raises

Day 4
DB Bench
Squat w/ belt
DB Rows
BB Upright Row
DB Curls
DB Goblet Squats

After 6-8 weeks, I would swap exercises if I was not enjoying it or found something else I wanted to try. Like maybe you end up hating Sumo Deadlifts, so you decide to do Romanian Deadlifts for a bit. Just swap them out. I'm just picking arbitrary movements I like, but you could sub in anything else that strikes your fancy. You could set-up these 6-8 weeks blocks over the year, and each year come back around to the movement fresh and see if you could work beyond where you were previously.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

Good post. I’ll play. Not a competitive powerlifter, but used to be a competitive runner in HS, then CrossFit in my 30s. Started PL type programs to improve X-fit, but never went back.

Weight: 200-ish
5’10”
Squat: 440
Press: 205
Bench: 310
DL: 395

Built much better for squats than deads apparently. I like Mark Rippetoe’s and Andy Baker’s programs, and I do everything in a simple home gym unless I’m traveling.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir »

DiploInvestor wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:07 pm Good post. I’ll play. Not a competitive powerlifter, but used to be a competitive runner in HS, then CrossFit in my 30s. Started PL type programs to improve X-fit, but never went back.

5’10”

Built much better for squats than deads apparently. I like Mark Rippetoe’s and Andy Baker’s programs, and I do everything in a simple home gym unless I’m traveling.
I like Andy Baker too. I used his Powerbuilding program a few times. We're almost the same size too. I'm 5'11 and 205. Bench is also 310, Squat is 500, Deadlift is 560, and my Press is a meager 185. I apparently need to take some cues from you on that one.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

If you met me, you'd would think I am a Powerlifter. I'm blessed to have the natural body. 5'6 215. However, I only do Isomertics and it is enough for me to keep up my strength. My neck is 191/2 and my biceps are very big. People are amazed I don't spend hours at the gym and quite honestly so am I. I do have the powerlifter gut, no six pack, but one solid keg.

I do my Isomertic routine 6 days a week and am off Sunday. The entire routine takes about 15 minutes consisting of 24 poses and some of them I have to do twice to get each arm or leg.
skjoldur

Post by skjoldur »

Ketawa wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:35 pm Very old thread, but wondering if I could get some feedback on whether I should switch anything up with my fitness routine.

I recently starting lifting after a big break during the pandemic. I was a bit greedy about adding weight to my deadlifts and I tweaked my back (lower back). I did a bunch of reading and decided to raise the bar for deadlifting. I'm doing it by using a rack, but you can use blocks too.

The deadlift is the only major lift where the starting mechanics are not based on the size/shape of the lifter, but rather just on the size of the equipment. So tall lifters bend over more than short lifters, etc.

The bottom of the lift is the place where it is most difficult to keep the neutral spine shape, especially in your lower back which tends to curve under.

I've chosen a starting height, maybe 4-6'' higher than normal, it's well below my knees. I don't really have results to mention yet, I'm still building up the weight (more slowly this time), but so far it feels more secure and I can focus on proper form.

Also, from reading the famous book 'Back Mechanic' by Stuart McGill (who fwiw has trained/rehabbed world class lifters) I learned something that was very counter-intuitive to me. He explains that the back stiffness that protects you from back injury is different from the peak strength that comes from doing heavy deadlifts. I had assumed all along that deadlifting would be very protective, but he says, not really. The stiffness that protects your back, according to him, is more like endurance for a variety of core muscles and back erector muscles and you train those muscles with different back/core excercises (look up the 'big three' for more info).
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

HoleInTheAir wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:38 pm
DiploInvestor wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:07 pm Good post. I’ll play. Not a competitive powerlifter, but used to be a competitive runner in HS, then CrossFit in my 30s. Started PL type programs to improve X-fit, but never went back.

5’10”

I like Andy Baker too. I used his Powerbuilding program a few times. We're almost the same size too. I'm 5'11 and 205. Bench is also 310, Squat is 500, Deadlift is 560, and my Press is a meager 185. I apparently need to take some cues from you on that one.
Great numbers! I’d like to hit a 495 squat eventually, but I can only train 3-4 days a week for an hour or so each. I’m fairly small boned too, so I doubt I’ll get these numbers up much more. Overhead press is one of my favorite lifts, and I change up the programming every 9-12 weeks to keep it moving. 225 is the goal on press. Baker Barbell Club is a good program that keeps it interesting and is definitely not expensive.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Cycle wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:20 pm I did 5x5 stronglifts the last year. I really enjoyed it, but would always get to a plateau, then injured myself and have to go way down in weight to get the form fixed.

Now I'm doing solely aerobic training to try and get 8 minutes off my marathon time and qualify for Boston. MAF method. Hoping to not train a single anaerobic fiber for the next 4 months. Not even doing a sit-up.
You need to write or follow a program that has different phases:
1) Strength: heavy weight, low reps, long rest
2) Form: moderate weight, reps, rest, and a focus on form and slower and control movement.
3) Pumps: high reps, super sets, shorter rest, and chase after the pumps.

Typically you stay in one phase only 3-6 weeks. If you stay longer, you’re likely to plateau.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

H-Town wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:09 pm
Cycle wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:20 pm I did 5x5 stronglifts the last year. I really enjoyed it, but would always get to a plateau, then injured myself and have to go way down in weight to get the form fixed.

Now I'm doing solely aerobic training to try and get 8 minutes off my marathon time and qualify for Boston. MAF method. Hoping to not train a single anaerobic fiber for the next 4 months. Not even doing a sit-up.
You need to write or follow a program that has different phases:
1) Strength: heavy weight, low reps, long rest
2) Form: moderate weight, reps, rest, and a focus on form and slower and control movement.
3) Pumps: high reps, super sets, shorter rest, and chase after the pumps.

Typically you stay in one phase only 3-6 weeks. If you stay longer, you’re likely to plateau.
Juggernaut Method is a decent framework to follow for someone unsure of how to make their own program for this type of periodization.
coachf

Post by coachf »

I never did a powerlifting meet but I did compete in weightlifting. Just training to stay strong right now.

Age 37

Best competition lifts
Snatch 102kg
Clean and Jerk 143kg
Body weight for that meet was 102kg (Age 26)

Training Plan through the end of May
Monday: Heavy Upper Body
Tuesday: Heavy Lower Body, Easy Bike Ride 60 minutes (heart rate between 130 and 140bpm)
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Light Upper Body
Friday: Light Lower Body, Hard Intervals on Bike 45-60 minutes (4x8 minutes accumulate as much time as possible with heart rate over 90% of max)
Saturday: Longer Bike Ride 90 minutes to 3 hours (heart rate between 130 and 140bpm)
Sunday: Off
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I practice some the variants of the power lifts (e.g. clean pull instead of deadlift, high bar and front squat instead of low bar squat), but I compete in weightlifting, not powerlifting.

Next month I'll start competition prep for the fall American Open.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

coachf wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:33 pm I never did a powerlifting meet but I did compete in weightlifting. Just training to stay strong right now.

Age 37

Best competition lifts
Snatch 102kg
Clean and Jerk 143kg
Body weight for that meet was 102kg (Age 26)
Ditto on weightlifting.

But I'm in the Masters class, age 50-55 bracket.

102 kg weight class.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
liftingbrosef

Post by liftingbrosef »

This is my chance to flex on here cause I ain’t got the big 401k

From a meet a couple years ago
Weight 260
Squat 606
Bench 425
Dead 705

My hip is busted so I’ve given it up and dropped 30 lbs bw. Still lift in the garage
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:34 pm
MJW wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 pm If the thread digresses much further into a debate/discussion about protein intake it's likely to be closed. Just putting that out there.
Here's why: Re: Dental implant or retreatment of root canal?

Please be careful not to go into details about health benefits.
you all do a great job moderating the threads which makes this website great.

too bad we cant get a non profit team like yours to moderate the toyota 4runner forum. its so much harder reading that one on my phone
BelfastFlyer

Post by BelfastFlyer »

I don't know if it's something any of you would be interested in, but I got a second hand DVD set of eBay last year called bodybeast (I know, I know...what a name) but it's a weight lighting programme you can do at home. Once you get past the crazy Instructor and him gym bros it's pretty good.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

Funny, in the 3 years roughly since my post on the 1st page I have moved completely to powerlifting style and picked up a coach. Did my first meet in September last year and another planned for this July.

Currently competing in both USPA and USAPL as Master-1 98 KG class

In September I did 347 squat, 259 bench and 496 deadlift. A commanded paused bench definitely takes about 15% or so off what your average bounce off the chest gym attempt would be. Although I still managed to set a state record for the class which was kind of cool.

In July hoping to be somewhere around 370 for the squat and 270-280 on the bench. Coaching fixed a lot of my bench issues and shoulder pain, was well worth it and should pay dividends at the next comp. Deadlift probably hasn't moved much, had been trying to learn Sumo style and stalled a bit, so not sure which way I'll pull in July.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Back in the day I used to try the NFL Combine test every now and then - 225 for 29 full range no momentum reps.

That was a killer. Insane burn.

I would have to train with insane intensity to build to that again. I would rather play golf!

Tony
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

I follow a simple program from Martin Berkhan using reverse pyramid sets. This means doing the highest weight first and dropping ~10% per subsequent set while raising the volume. I wait 4-5 minutes between each set. In the deadlift example below, I'd do 295x5 then 265x7-8.

Session 1:
Deadlift - 295x5 - 2 sets
Overhead Press (seated/dumbell) - 180x10 - 3 sets
Weighted Dips - 90x10 - 2 sets

Session 2:
Bench - 245x10 - 3 sets
Chest-supported row - 240x10 - 3 sets
Barbell Curls - 110x10 - 2 sets

Session 3:
Squat - 265x10 - 3 sets
Weighted pull-up - 40x10 - 3 sets
Incline calf raise - 720x15 - 2 sets

Stats:
5'10 - 215lb

I've been doing these lifts and tracking them for over a decade. My first deadlift was under 135 lbs. First bench under 100. I achieved roughly 65% of these numbers in a matter of months and its taken considerable time to achieve the remainder, including almost a year of PT and surgery for an AC joint in the shoulder. I'm trying hard for a 315 working set on deadlift, 275 squat and then will not be pushing weight further. I'm strong enough, but I still struggle with my diet. I figure I should be about 185-190, but putting down the spoon can be the hardest part. The whole program requires less than 4 hours a week in the gym and sometimes I'll walk the neighborhood or use a stair climber in-between.
etherlinkage

Post by etherlinkage »

simplesimon wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 pm
MJW wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:27 am
simplesimon wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:25 pm I don't call myself a powerlifter as I don't train singles, but I follow Mark Rippetoe/Starting Strength pretty closely.
The Three-Fund Portfolio of lifting. :P

Whenever I joined the BH forum I was struck by the parallels in philosophy and the sometimes militant adherence/advocacy between the 3-fund approach here and the Rippetoe/SS methodology I saw on popular lifting forums in the 00's. I imagine it's the same within many common interest groups, but I was immediately reminded of my lifting days.
My thoughts exactly. No lifts utilize as much muscle mass and replicate natural human movement to help make an individual more capable at handling daily life.
Yep. Same feelings here. I had to dial back after hernia surgery, but I still enjoy it. It makes everyday life much easier, and my back feels better.
Save early, save aggressively, and stay the course.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

MindBogler wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:13 pm I follow a simple program from Martin Berkhan using reverse pyramid sets. This means doing the highest weight first and dropping ~10% per subsequent set while raising the volume. I wait 4-5 minutes between each set. In the deadlift example below, I'd do 295x5 then 265x7-8.

Session 1:
Deadlift - 295x5 - 2 sets
Overhead Press (seated/dumbell) - 180x10 - 3 sets
Weighted Dips - 90x10 - 2 sets

Session 2:
Bench - 245x10 - 3 sets
Chest-supported row - 240x10 - 3 sets
Barbell Curls - 110x10 - 2 sets

Session 3:
Squat - 265x10 - 3 sets
Weighted pull-up - 40x10 - 3 sets
Incline calf raise - 720x15 - 2 sets

Stats:
5'10 - 215lb

I've been doing these lifts and tracking them for over a decade. My first deadlift was under 135 lbs. First bench under 100. I achieved roughly 65% of these numbers in a matter of months and its taken considerable time to achieve the remainder, including almost a year of PT and surgery for an AC joint in the shoulder. I'm trying hard for a 315 working set on deadlift, 275 squat and then will not be pushing weight further. I'm strong enough, but I still struggle with my diet. I figure I should be about 185-190, but putting down the spoon can be the hardest part. The whole program requires less than 4 hours a week in the gym and sometimes I'll walk the neighborhood or use a stair climber in-between.
The absolute key in powerlifting is reverse pyramid. Once warmed up I always did reverse pyramids. The people I trained would make huge gains.

That is how I was taught. One of the powerlifting guys I trained with? Was one of the “monsters” in Stallone’s movie “Over the Top”!

Tony
VtsaxParade

Post by VtsaxParade »

On a long break but my PRs from when I was into lifting:

Deadlift: 615 x1, 585 x3
Bench: 375
Squat: 445

Miss those days.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

some of y'all need to post your AGE with your poundage :D

i'm a weightlifter - in my 50s - but don't go heavy anymore. sets usually in the 8-10 rep range for general fitness. blew my right pec out at 49 and took that as a sign. that is pain from another dimension.

but i still squat and dumbbell bench. fair amount of strict pull ups also. decent core and can still run a 7:30 mile in my 50s.

it's crazy how my body has changed over the years. in my 20s I could press 225 x 8-10 reps while weighing 150 lbs. that's not happening anymore. :(

but I figure if in my 50s I can do 10+ strict pull ups, run a mile under 8 minutes, bench and squat my body weight minimum 10 quality reps I'm doing alright.

-------------------
HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir »

mr_brightside wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:39 am some of y'all need to post your AGE with your poundage :D

i'm a weightlifter - in my 50s - but don't go heavy anymore. sets usually in the 8-10 rep range for general fitness. blew my right pec out at 49 and took that as a sign. that is pain from another dimension.

but i still squat and dumbbell bench. fair amount of strict pull ups also. decent core and can still run a 7:30 mile in my 50s.

it's crazy how my body has changed over the years. in my 20s I could press 225 x 8-10 reps while weighing 150 lbs. that's not happening anymore. :(

but I figure if in my 50s I can do 10+ strict pull ups, run a mile under 8 minutes, bench and squat my body weight minimum 10 quality reps I'm doing alright.

-------------------
That's pretty exceptional, if you ask me.

I'm 29, by the way, so your first sentence is very fair :happy
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

liftingbrosef wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:12 pm This is my chance to flex on here cause I ain’t got the big 401k

Weight 260
Squat 606
Bench 425
Dead 705

My hip is busted so I’ve given it up and dropped 30 lbs bw. Still lift in the garage
My 401k has gotten A LOT bigger than my big 3 lifts. I was getting very close to a goal of pulling 3x bodyweight when I began having chronic back pain about 2yrs ago, later to find out I had a pair of compression fractures in my thoracic, 4 bulging discs, and developing bone spurs. In my last official raw meet 3yrs ago, in the <198lbs. class:

Dead - 565
Squat - 515
Bench - 385

Like others, I had good success with Berkhan-esque reverse pyramid (and intermittent fasting).

Haven't done so much as a pushup since last September and probably will never be able to do any pulling, loaded squatting or oly lifting again. At 39 I've had to totally change my mindset and athletic pursuits, set my sights on summitting all 80 prominent peaks in my state (about halfway there).
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

One of the keys to getting my bench up over the years was working the seated should press. I was told to fall in love with that exercise for a big bench. I did. Then once you get a shoulder press up, the bench increases.

I eventually got to 365 - 375 for 3 reps. All seated.

Tony
HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir »

stoptothink wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:28 am
liftingbrosef wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:12 pm This is my chance to flex on here cause I ain’t got the big 401k

Weight 260
Squat 606
Bench 425
Dead 705

My 401k has gotten A LOT bigger than my big 3 lifts. I was getting very close to a goal of pulling 3x bodyweight when I began having chronic back pain about 2yrs ago, later to find out I had a pair of compression fractures in my thoracic, 4 bulging discs, and developing bone spurs. In my last official raw meet 3yrs ago, in the <198lbs. class:

Dead - 565
Squat - 515
Bench - 385

Like others, I had good success with Berkhan-esque reverse pyramid (and intermittent fasting).

Haven't done so much as a pushup since last September and probably will never be able to do any pulling, loaded squatting or oly lifting again. At 39 I've had to totally change my mindset and athletic pursuits, set my sights on summitting all 80 prominent peaks in my state (about halfway there).
Any recommendations for bench specifically? Our squat/dead are about the same and you bench 75 pounds more. I seem to be stuck in the 300-315 range forever. I've tried adding a third bench day, fourth bench day, doing more maximal work, very little seems to help.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

do you incorporate dips into your WOs?

back when I could bench decent numbers (for a 150lb young guy) I was doing crazy weighted dip sets. like 6-8 reps with 90lbs from a dip belt.

seemed to help

also -- you may actually be over-training.

------------------------------------------------------
HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir »

Yeah, I do weighted dips, and while I find I can improve dips, they don't carry over much for me into the bench. I've worked up to 100x8 on them, and bench stays around 270x5, 310x1.

I've wondered if it was tied to bodyweight, I'm around 200 pounds, but I feel I should be heavy enough to get to 350ish, especially given where my other lifts are. I dunno, it seems like whatever I do for squats, works, and whatever I do for deadlifts, works. As long as I can squat and pull twice a week each, they improve. That same volume does nothing for bench.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

what are your sets / reps ?

Back when I was lifting hard for football years ago-- we would do this 2 x per week for the big 4 : squats, deadlift, bench press and power cleans

Week 1: 3 x 3
Week 2: 5 x 5
Week 3: 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
Week 4: 4 x 8 (lighter weights here obviously)

with plenty of moderate warm-up and lots of supplemental exercises like dips, supine tricep extensions, shoulder presses, etc. its a pretty good cycle IMO. its a good 'confuser' because when you go 3 x 3 you tell yourself 'heck I only gotta do 3 reps so I can PILE on the weights...' then when you get to week 4 its 'dang -- I only gotta use a light weight -- piece of cake...' rinse and repeat :happy

of course pretty much anything plateaus given enough time

--------------------------------------------
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

HoleInTheAir wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:05 pm
Any recommendations for bench specifically? Our squat/dead are about the same and you bench 75 pounds more. I seem to be stuck in the 300-315 range forever. I've tried adding a third bench day, fourth bench day, doing more maximal work, very little seems to help.
I specialized in the bench press and competed successfully. Trophies are in the room and joints are sore.

Bench once a week. We I did this, I was sore 3-4 days. Anything else is just tearing down. When you get over 365 and especially into the 400’s it takes a lot out of you.

Fall in love with training shoulders. Heavy heavy heavy seated shoulder presses.

Weighted Dips were always critical to build pure raw and animal strength. I weighted 242 weight class and would strap 175-185 dumbbell around my waist reps in Dips.

Tricep Pushdowns and Close Grip bench. Another exercise to fall in love with. Build up to 185 - 205 pounds for reps.

Do this and there is no way to train any body part more than once a week. Anything else is tearing down and not building up.

I even trained with one of the monsters from Sly Stallone’s Over the Top Arm Wrestling movie!

Hope that helps.
Tony
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Well, was back into lifting and getting back to PR's when I had a crappy injury. A hemorrhoid. It actually has a horrible name of anal fissure. Hasn't healed in months of no lifting. And if I lift, I bleed so much I get anemic and have to go to the ER for an iron infusion. Only option is to have surgery. I did some searching on how that goes, and everyone says it is the worst pain ever in the history of the universe. And it takes weeks to heal. Life sucks.