What have you baked recently?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tom_T

Re: What have you baked recently?

Post by Tom_T »

Irish soda bread. I'm told that the version I make (sugar, raisins, caraway seeds) is the "American" version, but if so, I'm not concerned. :happy
Last edited by Tom_T on Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJS

Post by MJS »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:55 pm ... as I purchased Bakers Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 by My Weight.*
* Disclaimer - Bogleheads.org Amazon referral tag added.
Double-checking here ... now that Amazon Smile is gone, will adding __ ?tag=bogleheads.org-20 __ to the end of any Amazon URL direct funds to Bogleheads? I liked using Smile, and this would be a cool alternative. Thanks.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

WOMoney wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:37 pm
Thank you! Currently traveling and unable to bake.. but I plan to try the Tarine country loaf recipe when I get back.

I'll be baking everyday haha I love it. That and sourdough pizza
Sourdough pizza is something I have yet to tackle. I do make NY style pizza once or twice a month based on this guy's epic recipe/rant page (that I linked to from pizzamaking.com, which truly is the bogleheads of pizza): https://www.richardeaglespoon.com/articles/how-to-pizza
WOMoney

Post by WOMoney »

happyisland wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:04 pm
WOMoney wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:37 pm
Thank you! Currently traveling and unable to bake.. but I plan to try the Tarine country loaf recipe when I get back.

I'll be baking everyday haha I love it. That and sourdough pizza
Sourdough pizza is something I have yet to tackle. I do make NY style pizza once or twice a month based on this guy's epic recipe/rant page (that I linked to from pizzamaking.com, which truly is the bogleheads of pizza): https://www.richardeaglespoon.com/articles/how-to-pizza
You can find me on the pizza making forums as HarleyL7.
:)
I'm a Neapolitan pizza style kinda giy
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index ... ic=77051.0
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

MJS wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:59 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:55 pm ... as I purchased Bakers Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 by My Weight.*
Double-checking here ... now that Amazon Smile is gone, will adding __ ?tag=bogleheads.org-20 __ to the end of any Amazon URL direct funds to Bogleheads? I liked using Smile, and this would be a cool alternative. Thanks.
Yes. To be very clear, this is the Amazon.com referral which goes directly to the site owners of bogleheads.org. It's the same as the referral code embedded in the forum header's Amazon link.

Now that I have a serious scale, I'm converting all of my baking to measurement by weight. It makes much more sense to me now.

I just calculated the hydration percentage of my most recent no-knead bread (carroway seed) to be 80%. Google suggests bread should be around 90% hydration, but the dough consistency was a bit sticky and seemed to be about right.

How accurately should I measure ingredients? For low weight ingredients like salt or yeast, I'm going to the nearest 0.2 g. I have a separate 0 - 300 g scale which I use for that. For higher weights, is +/- 1 g OK?

BTW, I'm still using the no-knead bread technique as described by ArtisanSteve here: No-Knead Bread Central | Hosted by Steve Gamelin (a.k.a. ArtisanBreadWithSteve)

Specifically, the YouTube video How to Bake No-Knead Bread in a Toaster Oven (no mixer… no bread machine… “hands-free” technique). I use a Pullman Bread pan in place of his Poor Man's Dutch Oven. The toaster oven approach is different than a full size oven. There is no pre-heating and I set the oven to "Bake" at 400 deg F for 40 minutes. Works fine.

Another major change I made is that I no longer put my bread in the fridge. It's cut in half, with one half going into the freezer for storage and the other half is at room temperature ready to eat.

BTW, I'm using the pizzamaking.com forum for all my pizza ideas.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
WOMoney

Post by WOMoney »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:34 pm
MJS wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:59 pm
Yes. To be very clear, this is the Amazon.com referral which goes directly to the site owners of bogleheads.org. It's the same as the referral code embedded in the forum header's Amazon link.

Now that I have a serious scale, I'm converting all of my baking to measurement by weight. It makes much more sense to me now.

I just calculated the hydration percentage of my most recent no-knead bread (carroway seed) to be 80%. Google suggests bread should be around 90% hydration, but the dough consistency was a bit sticky and seemed to be about right.

How accurately should I measure ingredients? For low weight ingredients like salt or yeast, I'm going to the nearest 0.2 g. I have a separate 0 - 300 g scale which I use for that. For higher weights, is +/- 1 g OK?

BTW, I'm still using the no-knead bread technique as described by ArtisanSteve here: No-Knead Bread Central | Hosted by Steve Gamelin (a.k.a. ArtisanBreadWithSteve)

Specifically, the YouTube video How to Bake No-Knead Bread in a Toaster Oven (no mixer… no bread machine… “hands-free” technique). I use a Pullman Bread pan in place of his Poor Man's Dutch Oven. The toaster oven approach is different than a full size oven. There is no pre-heating and I set the oven to "Bake" at 400 deg F for 40 minutes. Works fine.

Another major change I made is that I no longer put my bread in the fridge. It's cut in half, with one half going into the freezer for storage and the other half is at room temperature ready to eat.

BTW, I'm using the pizzamaking.com forum for all my pizza ideas.
For all my measurements below 100g, I use a little drug dealer scale that gets me exact measurements. It's been great for my pizza making game when using yeast and I want to try out exact measurements of yeast.
I specifically use it for salt in sourdough when trying to get my 10.5g for my 3:2:1 loaf

Edit: something like this
https://a.co/d/g28DbzI

Edit again:
https://forum.breadtopia.com/t/first-ti ... ough/30218

This is my sourdough post on breadtopia and Abe over there has been so helpful. He's like my free personal sourdough coach.
Volando

Post by Volando »

In my opinion for larger weights, being a few grams off is fine :). 80-90% hydration is quite high for most bread recipes! What kind of bread does the carroway seed recipe make?
AlwaysLearningMore

Post by AlwaysLearningMore »

Baked cranberry walnut bread for a neighbor yesterday.

Baked oatmeal-pumpkin puree based dog biscuits for our very spoiled pooch today.
Retirement is best when you have a lot to live on, and a lot to live for. * None of what I post is investment advice.* | FIRE'd July 2023
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Volando wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:53 pm In my opinion for larger weights, being a few grams off is fine :). 80-90% hydration is quite high for most bread recipes! What kind of bread does the carroway seed recipe make?
Thanks! I got the hydration percentage from a google search. Water to Flour Ratios of Various Recipes - How to Make the Best No-Touch No-Knead Bread I haven't used anything from that site, but it was worth a few minutes looking it over.

All of my no-knead bread recipes are intended as sandwich and toast bread. It's why I use a Pullman bread pan - to get the square shape I'm looking for. All of my breads use King Arthur's Bread flour.

What I did today-

540 g bread flour
428 g water (80% hydration)
7 g kosher salt
7 g active dry yeast (1 packet)
1+ (heaping) tablespoon carroway seeds

The website I mentioned earlier has a rye bread recipe: Traditional Videos | No-Knead Bread Central (World’s Easiest No-Knead Deli Rye Bread). I might give it a try at some point.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MJS

Post by MJS »

In addition for using my kitchen scale in baking, I also:
* Weigh Tea - 18 grams per 48 oz water
* Weigh clothes for travel ... old backpacking custom
And other small items.

120 grams of flour comes nowhere near filling a 1 cup measure.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
BPnWhiskey

Post by BPnWhiskey »

You say you like pound cake? Very moist and not too sweet?

How about Lemon Ginger Pound Cake? Oh, yeah. It was delicious.

I served it with blackberries and whipped cream.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Meatballs in the AirFryer!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
hudson

Post by hudson »

Baked apple
From memory:
Core an apple with a knife and a spoon.
Add butter, cinnamon, and sugar now or after.
Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

For zero Weight Watchers points, I use butter cooking spray and Splenda.
Volando

Post by Volando »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:08 pm
Volando wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:53 pm In my opinion for larger weights, being a few grams off is fine :). 80-90% hydration is quite high for most bread recipes! What kind of bread does the carroway seed recipe make?
Thanks! I got the hydration percentage from a google search. Water to Flour Ratios of Various Recipes - How to Make the Best No-Touch No-Knead Bread I haven't used anything from that site, but it was worth a few minutes looking it over.

All of my no-knead bread recipes are intended as sandwich and toast bread. It's why I use a Pullman bread pan - to get the square shape I'm looking for. All of my breads use King Arthur's Bread flour.

What I did today-

540 g bread flour
428 g water (80% hydration)
7 g kosher salt
7 g active dry yeast (1 packet)
1+ (heaping) tablespoon carroway seeds

The website I mentioned earlier has a rye bread recipe: Traditional Videos | No-Knead Bread Central (World’s Easiest No-Knead Deli Rye Bread). I might give it a try at some point.
Oh, I see. The no-touching makes all the difference then because 90% hydration can be quite challenging at times, especially if you want to shape it into a loaf! :D His technique seems like a gentler stretch and fold. I'll have to try it some time. Thanks for sharing!

Hydration can vary depending on what you're baking. Things like bagels will be on the lower end, somewhere around 55-60% or so. A lot of sandwich bread recipes tend to be in the 60s, but you can certainly go higher, especially if you like a more open crumb or softer texture. 80s,90s and above is usually when you're getting into ciabatta, focaccia kind of territory. But technique and equipment has a lot to do with it so you can get pretty high hydration with sandwich bread when you have a pan helping you out. Ken Forkish has a new book out, Evolutions in Bread, that I really like, where he teaches just that.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'd also like to follow-up on my carroway seed bread. It came out a bit too "spongy". It's good, but not as stiff as some previous breads I've made. The toaster oven recipe shown in the video uses 14 oz of water, which is less than what I used for this recipe. Now that I'm doing everything by weight, I know how to control the hydration. I'll take it down a bit for my next batch.

Other breads I've made in the toaster oven using the same approach:

- Rosemary
- Sesame seed (somewhat plain taste)
- Garlic powder
- Chia seed
- Flax meal
skp

Post by skp »

I bake a lot. Today, I had leftover applesauce so I made applesauce spice cake. Super easy and delicious.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

skp wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:25 pm I bake a lot. Today, I had leftover applesauce so I made applesauce spice cake. Super easy and delicious.
Recipe? I have leftover homemade applesauce from homegrown apples. Might have cinnamon in it, not sure without tasting, but it needs using up.
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

Rhubarb pies - 2 of them. Yum!
skp

Post by skp »

InMyDreams wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:21 pm
skp wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:25 pm I bake a lot. Today, I had leftover applesauce, so I made applesauce spice cake. Super easy and delicious.
I use the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook spice cake recipe adapted for applesauce. Requires one cup of applesauce and 1/4 cup of buttermilk. If I don't have quite enough applesauce, I just add a little more buttermilk.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Today is lasagna day. Lasagna is so much better if you add bechamel sauce.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Does anyone have a good recipe for pumpkin cream cheese muffins?

A bakery in SoCal used to make them, and now they've gone all bran and oat and wheat on me. ;)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I wasn't very happy with my deep dish pizza in this post and went back to my first recipe:
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:16 pm ...I wanted a dough recipe for newbies and found this one: New York-Style Pizza. I didn't make the pizza, just the dough.

...I now have a new baseline to work from. My next pizza will use a 500 deg F oven temperature. (Not for a while. This pizza will give me a week of leftovers.)
I made a pepperoni pizza -

Sauce - Can of ground tomato with one (maybe more) cloves of fresh pressed garlic and a heaping teaspoon of dried oregano.
Base cheese - 8 oz of shredded mozzarella
Pepperoni - I used "cracker cut" sliced pepperoni which is just the right size to put on a pizza.
Top cheese - shredded Parmesan

I left the dough in the fridge for 48 hours due to available time. This time around, I set the oven to 550 deg F - I didn't know it could go up that high. The stone is on the bottom rack. It was done in 10 minutes and it came out perfect. :happy

The crust was a deep brown with good texture. It looked like some of the pictures I saw in the Pizza Making Forum.

I don't think I've had a pizza crust like this in a very long time. For reheating, 450 deg F in my toaster oven for 9 minutes.

Update: I forgot to mention that setting my oven to 550 deg F was an unexpected adventure. As the oven got near temperature, it set off the fire alarm. :shock: :) The high temperature must have burned off some residual food somewhere in the oven. After disabling the alarm and venting the kitchen, there was no further alarm. So, I inadvertently did my own version of a self-cleaning cycle. (Which the oven can do.)
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:32 pm...
Update: I forgot to mention that setting my oven to 550 deg F was an unexpected adventure. As the oven got near temperature, it set off the fire alarm. :shock: :) The high temperature must have burned off some residual food somewhere in the oven. After disabling the alarm and venting the kitchen, there was no further alarm. So, I inadvertently did my own version of a self-cleaning cycle. (Which the oven can do.)
Something to watch out for. After trying a self-cleaning cycle on my (new to me) oven, its cooking times seemed to change. So bought/put an oven thermometer in it and learned the internal temperature to be 50°F less than the set temp. So now when instructions say to "preheat to xxx", I peak at oven thermometer and tweak setting to adjust.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I made Cook's Illustrated Simple Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Cake texture was great, and it makes lots. Just wish it had more pizzazz to it.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

InMyDreams wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:31 pm I made Cook's Illustrated Simple Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Cake texture was great, and it makes lots. Just wish it had more pizzazz to it.
The recipe from Joy of Cooking is good. It has:

1 1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, at room temp!
1 1/2 cups peeled and shredded carrot About 4 large
1 cup walnuts chopped
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
3/4 teaspoon allspice

1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
SpaghettiLegs

Post by SpaghettiLegs »

I don’t bake very much but made an espresso chocolate chess pie from the book “Justice of the Pies”. I’m pretty sure you will put on weight just reading the recipe but it was really, really, good.

1.5 cups sugar
1 stick butter
4 eggs
Couple tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoon cornmeal
2 tablespoon flour
Kosher salt
Vanilla

I used a premade crust instead of homemade from the recipe book. Also topped with a caramel sauce which was sugar, more butter, cream, vanilla and salt.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I made Milk Street's Chocolate Almond Torte recently. Turned out fine, very easy to make. But I think my two friends liked it better than I did.

Strange - no flour, butter or leavening agent. Mixed (?) in the food processor, from chopping of the slice almonds and chocolate to adding the eggs.

It took a bit longer in my oven than their estimated range, perhaps because of altitude?
mkc

Post by mkc »

Today - first loaf (Tartine Country Bread) with a newly-grown sourdough starter. My 13 year old one had taken a bad turn in recent months - not sure what happened but I needed to start over with a new starter. I'm a big fan of Andrew Janjigian (he was the "bread guy" and the "pizza guy" at Cook's Illustrated for many years and I've taken classes with him) and subscribe to his Wordloaf substack. I used his instructions here to grow the new starter Not Quite to Tiny Starter

Last week I tried foccacia de recco for the first time. Think 2 very thin pizza crusts (wafer thin) with dollops of cheese in between. I used the Serious Eats recipe to make it. It didn't get quite as crispy as I would have liked using my aluminum pizza tray on a baking steel, but reheating the leftover slices on a carbon steel comal that I preheated with the baking steel yielded a much better crust.

Tonight, pepperoni and peperoncini calzones.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Chocolate chip cookies and brownies.
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
snic

Post by snic »

Boule with poolish. Easier than sourdough and tasty!
https://www.billyparisi.com/classic-fre ... h-poolish/

And a chocolate raspberry cake with Swiss meringue chocolate buttercream icing. Someone's birthday, and raspberries are in season.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Milk Street's Tahini Swirl Brownies. Wow.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Baked bialys this morning and made 2 dozen with a 57% hydration dough, high-gluten flour, malt syrup, and salt (2%).

Smeared the unbaked bialys with sauteed onions, just a dollop. Cream cheese and smoked salmon, red onions and tomatoes from the recent harvest.

The high-gluten flour is essential, I buy it in 25lb bags from a nearby mill https://www.regionalaccess.net/product/ ... rganic-25/. If you cannot get it, bread flour plus some gluten flour can work
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
metalworking

Post by metalworking »

Apple season =King Arthur cinnamon and sugar apple pie
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

My wife reminds me that pumpkin muffin season is fast approaching. Also, pumpkin bread.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Banana nut bread, brownies and pumpkin pie!!
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
mkc

Post by mkc »

Tom_T wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:32 am My wife reminds me that pumpkin muffin season is fast approaching. Also, pumpkin bread.
King Arthur Baking has a fantastic "inside out pumpkin muffin" where you bake a cream cheese filling inside the muffin.

I skip the streusel topping. It wasn't in their original version of the recipe and the muffins don't really need it. I use dark maple syrup instead of boiled cider.

Inside Out Pumpkin Muffins

BTW, this is also fantastic made with mashed overripe bananas in place of the pumpkin. Replace the "pumpkin spice" dry spices with 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

mkc wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:57 am
Tom_T wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:32 am My wife reminds me that pumpkin muffin season is fast approaching. Also, pumpkin bread.
King Arthur Baking has a fantastic "inside out pumpkin muffin" where you bake a cream cheese filling inside the muffin.

I skip the streusel topping. It wasn't in their original version of the recipe and the muffins don't really need it. I use dark maple syrup instead of boiled cider.

Inside Out Pumpkin Muffins

BTW, this is also fantastic made with mashed overripe bananas in place of the pumpkin. Replace the "pumpkin spice" dry spices with 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla.
I would try this if it weren't for the fact that I despise cream cheese. :wink:
mkc

Post by mkc »

Today was the 5th or 6th time I've baked homemade Aussie Bites.

For those not familiar, they are multi-seed/grain and dried fruit mini muffins sold at Costco (and Sam's and Sprouts). They are our usual breakfast - 1 Aussie Bite with our morning latte. Costco is over an hour away, so making them at home is much more cost-effective and convenient. I make a larger quantity of quinoa, then portion and freeze it for future batches.

I found a likely copycat recipe online, then tweaked it (added salt and cinnamon and increased the fruit) to dial in the flavor profile more:

Homemade Aussie Bites - Tweaked

Yield: 24 mini muffins

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups rolled oats, divided
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/8 cup dried apricots (chopped)
3/8 cup raisins
1/4 cup flaxseed
1/4 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup cooked quinoa
2 Tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup browned butter (ok just to use melted butter)
1/4 cup neutral cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 24-count mini muffin pan (Pam or similar works well).

2. Place 1 cup of the rolled oats in a food processor and process for about 1 minute until the oats are pulverized into oat flour.

3. Add the remaining 3/4 cup rolled oats, brown sugar, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, coconut, quinoa, chia seeds, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda to the food processor. Pulse several times until oats and seeds are chopped.

4. Pour in the honey, browned butter, canola oil, and vanilla extract. Pulse until combined and you don't see any dry spots.

5. Add chopped apricots and raisins and pulse just until combined.

5. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.

6. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

7. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool in the pan on a wire cooling rack.

8. Once completely cooled, remove the muffins from the pan and store in an airtight container
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

turkey and roasted red pepper meatloaf (didn't do the salad/vinagrette part, did mashed yams and green beans instead):
https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/turkey ... -meat-loaf
https://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-and- ... oaf-300846

receipe says 45 minutes, but we cook ours for 1 hour to solidify more and check temp with meat thermometer.

and for dessert...tiramisu (easy):
https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/easy-tiramisu/
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Experiments with "mini muffins" continue.

Substitutions are difficult and results range from not edible to good but could be better. Chocolate chips are always a good boost.
Recipe alterations:
No wheat.
No dairy
No eggs
No yeast

So, tried, various other flours from rice to oat flour, almond flour, etc. Egg substitutes from tapioca flour to apple sauce (apple sauce is better so far).
I use a convection toaster oven and make small batches so I don't waste a lot of ingredients on a poor recipe.

Does anyone have any mini muffin suggestions with the above parameters?

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

The Baker's Corner Chewy Brownie Mix (now $1.18 a box) from Aldi. With chopped walnuts from Costco and 2 eggs from my chickens. YUM. Hubby took some to our neighbor who just got out of the hospital.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I don't bake often, but never now, at least in the oven. Our oven may have issues, so we never use it now. I'm thinking of "baking" a cake or bread inside my rice cooker, but have not tried it yet.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

InMyDreams wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:46 am Milk Street's Tahini Swirl Brownies. Wow.
Made them again this week. Still good.

Oh, and - they're excellent frozen, too.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

It's pumpkin bread season. I have one in the oven as we speak.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:58 am Experiments with "mini muffins" continue.

Substitutions are difficult and results range from not edible to good but could be better. Chocolate chips are always a good boost.
Recipe alterations:
No wheat.
No dairy
No eggs
No yeast
Not my style of baking, but Dr Google does come up with some ideas. This one looked promising
https://elavegan.com/vegan-blueberry-muffins/

which came from this search
https://www.google.com/search?q=wheat-f ... s-wiz-serp

So, gluten-free vegan searches would probably give you some ideas?
Topic Author
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I made these for my husband a few weeks ago and he loved them. Best part is that it's yet another sourdough discard recipe in my arsenal.

https://littlespoonfarm.com/sourdough-brownies-recipe/
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

I live above 5,000ft altitude. It has been a struggle for me to adapt from sea-level baking to high altitude baking. I just finished up a batch of these and will freeze some for future consumption. This recipe has not let me down yet, no collapsed center either.

So this one is for all of the mile high bakers!

High Altitude Cranberry Walnut Bread
Hands on time:15 mins / Total time 1.5 hours / makes 8 servings (1 loaf)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F)

2 cups bread flour (not regular flour unless you are not at altitude)
1 cup sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp hot water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (I use light olive oil instead)
1 extra large egg beaten (large egg if not altitude baking)
1/2 cup 7 UP (yup, the drink soda)
1 cup fresh cranberries chopped (add more if you really like cranberries! 1 lb bag will yield 2 loaves)
1 Tbsp grated orange peel
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl; set aside. Mix water, oil and egg and 7UP in a separate bowl, until well blended.
Add to dry ingredients; stir just until ingredients are moistened. Fold in cranberries, nuts and orange peel. Spoon into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.

Bake at 325 degrees for 65-70 minutes (less at lower altitude) or until done. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.

Store leftovers in an airtight container. Can also be frozen. I wish I could attach a photo but it is gone so fast!
mkc

Post by mkc »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:58 am Experiments with "mini muffins" continue.

Recipe alterations:
No wheat.
No dairy
No eggs
No yeast

So, tried, various other flours from rice to oat flour, almond flour, etc. Egg substitutes from tapioca flour to apple sauce (apple sauce is better so far).
I use a convection toaster oven and make small batches so I don't waste a lot of ingredients on a poor recipe.

I've not made their baked goods, but do like a lot of the savory recipes from Minimalist Baker. Here's their list of gluten-free muffin recipes that note in the recipe titles which are vegan (no eggs): Minimalist Baker gluten free muffin recipes
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

mkc wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:08 pm

Recipe alterations:
No wheat.
No dairy
No eggs
No yeast

I've not made their baked goods, but do like a lot of the savory recipes from Minimalist Baker. Here's their list of gluten-free muffin recipes that note in the recipe titles which are vegan (no eggs): Minimalist Baker gluten free muffin recipes
Thanks for the tips and link.
Very good site.
j :D

Organic Rice Flour, non dairy, apple sauce instead of eggs. Brownies and chocolate muffins (with chocolate chips).

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Cranberry-orange scones with sugar icing.
Pumpkin chocolate chip cake.
Pumpkin pie.
Oatmeal cookies.
Olive bread.
Coming up: gingerbread cake.
(Well, someone baked them - I leave that to the experts).
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.