What have you baked recently?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
black jack

Re: What have you baked recently?

Post by black jack »

knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:55 pm Any suggestions on what to add to basic whole wheat bread recipe to give some flavor? I have a bread machine which makes excellent 1lb loafs . It's an older machine from the 80s by Welbilt. The bread comes out nice and light but overall it lacks any flavor. Don't want to add more sugar and oil to it. Any simple spices or something I can add?

I tried adding in home-made apple sauce instead of sugar and water but I didn't taste it at all!
"Don't want to add more sugar and oil to it." What's in your dough now?

My basic 100% whole wheat recipe just has flour, water, salt, yeast, and vital wheat gluten; my half-whole wheat is the same without the gluten (thank you, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day).

When I want to add flavor I add a little fat to the dough: a quarter-cup of olive oil or, better yet, 1/4 stick butter melted (yum); or shred some cheddar cheese into it. Or cut up some bacon into small pieces and toss it in.

(Usually I just add the fat after baking, which provides greater flexibility: toast a slice and spread butter on it, or dip it in olive oil, or melt cheese on it :D )

Flavor without fat: I toss a generous amount of whatever's in Italian herb seasoning containers into the dough. Smells delicious when baking, and tastes pretty good.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

A friend in our neighborhood stopped by yesterday and left some homemade bread, and Rootbeer Jelly. :sharebeer
I had never heard of it before, but it was good. She said it was easy to make. This site has the recipie she used.

https://creativehomemaking.com/recipes/ ... eer-jelly/
telemark

Post by telemark »

knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:55 pm Any suggestions on what to add to basic whole wheat bread recipe to give some flavor? I have a bread machine which makes excellent 1lb loafs . It's an older machine from the 80s by Welbilt. The bread comes out nice and light but overall it lacks any flavor. Don't want to add more sugar and oil to it. Any simple spices or something I can add?

I tried adding in home-made apple sauce instead of sugar and water but I didn't taste it at all!
For every day I like to add sesame seeds. For a treat, cinnamon and raisins. Also using a bread machine.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

telemark wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:10 am For every day I like to add sesame seeds. For a treat, cinnamon and raisins. Also using a bread machine.

Thanks! Would these sesame seeds work? I assume just add in with the dry ingredients in the beginning of the bread machine cycle?

I seem to recall that sesame seeds need to be toasted or roasted to bring out the flavor?
MJS

Post by MJS »

knightrider wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:42 pm
MJS wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:52 pm
knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:55 pm Any suggestions on what to add to basic whole wheat bread recipe to give some flavor?
Substitute 1/2 cup of another meal or flour: rye, corn, almond, ... my favorite is buckwheat.
Interesting tip. Do meals like cornmeal actually become part of the dough and react with the yeast? Or do they just add some texture/flavor?
Yes, doughs and breads can be made completely without wheat*. However, wheat's high gluten level gives its bread superb elasticity. You can also substitute 1 cup of cold cooked whole grains or meals for 1/2 cup flour & a bit of water, such as barley or oatmeal. Yeast is quite willing to find and extract sugar from anything. Think of all the things beer is made from!

* For instance https://oureverydaylife.com/430583-how- ... wheat.html
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
telemark

Post by telemark »

knightrider wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:51 am
telemark wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:10 am For every day I like to add sesame seeds. For a treat, cinnamon and raisins. Also using a bread machine.

Thanks! Would these sesame seeds work? I assume just add in with the dry ingredients in the beginning of the bread machine cycle?

I seem to recall that sesame seeds need to be toasted or roasted to bring out the flavor?
It's a matter of taste, whatever you like best. I prefer roasted. I've tried them with and without salt, can't really tell a difference.

My bread machine beeps to indicate when to add nuts or seeds, about half way through the kneading cycle. I suspect adding them at the beginning would also work.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

black jack wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:21 am Made flourless (for Passover) chocolate cake using a recipe from King Arthur Flour https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ake-recipe.

It was relatively quick and easy, my kitchen smelled heavenly for hours afterwards, and the cake was delicious (if I do say so myself)!
Thanks for the recipe link.

Made the cake yesterday. It is better the second day.

That said, though, maybe I didn’t use enough cocoa powder or the wrong kind, because I was sorta expecting a more intense chocolate flavor. Still, it is pretty good.
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

Since lockdown started I've made yeasted doughnuts, sandwich loaves, burger buns, pizzas, hot cross buns, and brownies. Probably time to make a salad...
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

made KAF's sourdough pizza dough.

Made a personal, olive oil and basil pizza. Pretty good, but my local pizzerias are not worried about the competition.

With some of the dough, I made pita bread. Pretty good.

Still have more dough in the fridge for more personal pizzas.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Nothing special, but a twist on the no-knead bread...

- added cut up bacon pieces
- added cut up jalapenos

I give thee...

The bacon/jalapeno bread! (basically your sandwich is done after you cut the bread)...
Get rich or die tryin'
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Nice.

Cut two slices for sandwich, add cheese and tomato filler. Put it under the broiler, flip when the top gets brown. Nearly instant grilled cheese sandwich.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Wouldn't be a bad spin on a BLT either...
Get rich or die tryin'
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I found a simple homemade yeast recipe: Cultivate Your Own Wild Yeast Starter - No need to discard anything nor change the amount of ingredients while the starter is growing.

All you need is 2 Tablespoons water and 3 Tablespoons flour (each day). Follow the video and you'll have yeast in 3 - 5 days.

For feeding, scoop out half of the starter (this is what you use for baking) and add back the same amount of water and flour. Put it back in the fridge for a week. Done.

=====================
This is my first time making yeast and I'm following the above recipe. I started today using a 32 oz. mason jar.

How much homemade yeast is equivalent to a 7g (1/4 oz.) packet of active dry yeast? One packet will rise up to 4 Cups of flour. I use 3-1/2 Cups of flour in my bread.

I found this calculator: Yeast Conversion Calculator

It looks like 1-1/2 tablespoons should do it, but I was wondering if anyone has done this before.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ So much for theory. I ended up with a wet batch of flour. There was some bubbling, but the dough didn't rise much at all. Adding a pack of dry yest didn't help.

However... the taste of bread made with homemade "wild" yeast is something else. 8-) A strong hint of sourdough made me want to continue.

There was simply too much water. How do I compensate for the water? Use yeast water. You simply swap out the yeast water for regular water in the recipe. Problem solved.

My next test is started: How to Make Yeast at Home ⋆ My German Recipes I"m using honey and raisins for the base.

Figs are hard to find right now, but raisins were in good supply at the supermarket.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

I am also experimenting with a rye sourdough starter, not for any lack of yeast, but because I'm interested in making Danish rye bread. I am using this method:
https://www.cbc.ca/life/food/how-to-mak ... -1.5157991

[link fixed by admin LadyGeek]

I also have recipes that use quick yeast so may make both to compare.
samtex

Bread failure question

Post by samtex »

The other day I tried a no-knead recipe. Followed it exactly. Very basic, flour, instant yeast, salt, water. initial proof - 12 hours covered with plastic, around 90°F . Baked in a cast iron dutch. oven. Didn't rise much, wasn't eaten. :(

The video specified "cool" water mixed with the dry ingredients. I noticed the yeast package specified 120°F - 130°F but I followed the video directions, using "cool" water (tap). I asked a friend who bakes and she didn't know why it said cool. I figured that was the issue so I was going to try again. (yeast was fresh)

Before I tried it again, I watched another video from some high end bread bakery, he specified cool water also. :confused

Can someone illuminate a bread baking newbie? Maybe follow the package instructions, instead of the experts?

Samtex
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I follow the videos from this guy: No-Knead Bread Central | Hosted by Steve Gamelin (a.k.a. ArtisanBreadWithSteve)

Look at No-Knead Bread 101. I get consistently good results with active dry yeast. (Instant might also work.) Then, watch his Turbo videos. The Turbo recipes are ready in a few hours, but I let them sit overnight and bake the following morning.

I'm doing everything with a pullman pan in a toaster oven.

The tricky part is to let it rise at the right temperature. I don't remember where I saw it (perhaps it was in one of the above videos), but put the dough in the oven and turn the oven light on. The heat of the oven light is all you need to keep it at the right temperature. Works every time for me.

My latest attempts to make my own yeast taught me that you can't change the amount of water in the recipe. Homemade yeast has its own water, so you need to adjust. If there's too much water, it won't rise.
Topic Author
Elsebet

Re: Bread failure question

Post by Elsebet »

samtex wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:19 am The other day I tried a no-knead recipe. Followed it exactly. Very basic, flour, instant yeast, salt, water. initial proof - 12 hours covered with plastic, around 90°F . Baked in a cast iron dutch. oven. Didn't rise much, wasn't eaten. :(

The video specified "cool" water mixed with the dry ingredients. I noticed the yeast package specified 120°F - 130°F but I followed the video directions, using "cool" water (tap). I asked a friend who bakes and she didn't know why it said cool. I figured that was the issue so I was going to try again. (yeast was fresh)

Before I tried it again, I watched another video from some high end bread bakery, he specified cool water also. :confused

Can someone illuminate a bread baking newbie? Maybe follow the package instructions, instead of the experts?

Samtex
If water is too warm it can kill the yeast. I usually stick to lukewarm water, no higher than 110F.

A 12 hour proof at 90F would probably cause the bread to become overproofed and turn out flat. If you want to proof for 12 hours or overnight, put the bread dough in the refrigerator. I do this with my sourdough, the slow cold proof enhances the flavor of the bread.

Also is your yeast old? Old yeast will sometimes not rise.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
amp

Post by amp »

samtex wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:19 am The other day I tried a no-knead recipe. Followed it exactly. Very basic, flour, instant yeast, salt, water. initial proof - 12 hours covered with plastic, around 90°F . Baked in a cast iron dutch. oven. Didn't rise much, wasn't eaten. :(

Samtex
I've had good results with this no-knead recipe from Serious Eats. One useful tip I read online was to only allow dough to rise on the countertop until it's doubled in size and no more. After that it should be refrigerated.

A couple of other really good no-knead recipes which I've tried are:
Peasant Bread from Alexandra Stafford - This has to be the easiest and fastest bread recipe I've tried, although the bread is quite different from the standard, crusty no-knead loaf.
Focaccia from Bon Appetit - Very delicious, although I let the dough rise in the refrigerator for eight days, which gave it a sourdough-like flavor.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

I made 5 loaves of banana bread yesterday: 2 with walnuts, and 3 without.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:13 pm ^^^ So much for theory. I ended up with a wet batch of flour. There was some bubbling, but the dough didn't rise much at all. Adding a pack of dry yest didn't help.

However... the taste of bread made with homemade "wild" yeast is something else. 8-) A strong hint of sourdough made me want to continue.

There was simply too much water. How do I compensate for the water? Use yeast water. You simply swap out the yeast water for regular water in the recipe. Problem solved.

My next test is started: How to Make Yeast at Home ⋆ My German Recipes I"m using honey and raisins for the base.

Figs are hard to find right now, but raisins were in good supply at the supermarket.
Success! However, I did a mid-course correction and ended up here: How to Make Yeast Water and Yeast Water Bread - Mary's Nest

First, I did not understand that sourdough starter is yeast made from flour and water. Everything else is simply "yeast". So, I made yeast water and not sourdough starter water. In theory, the end result is indistinguishable from commercial yeast.

In the video, Mary follows the method of ArtisanBreadWithSteve, which is my go-to reference for no-knead bread. She also uses the same quantity of flour.

Yeast water is very forgiving if you make a mistake. Her video said to take 8 days, I did it with only 4 days (followed the previous video :oops:). When it came time to shape the dough, I simply put it in my pullman breadpan. After 2 hours, it had more than doubled in size.

I baked the bread in my toaster oven as I usually do. The result looked just like bread made with the commercial yeast. However, the taste was "fresher" and had no hint of sourdough.

This recipe ends up with leftover starter dough. King Arthur Flour has suggestions for leftover dough: Sourdough Discard Recipes | King Arthur Flour My leftover starter got turned into biscuits (Buttery sourdough, but without the sourdough taste)

For the next batch, I'll try making my no-knead dough as I do with commercial yeast, but swap out 1/2 Cup of water with the yeast water . Based on How to Make Yeast at Home ⋆ My German Recipes, 125 ml of yeast water (1/2 cup) will work for up to 500g flour (4 cups).

In a few days, my first batch of yeast water will be ready to put in the fridge for storage. I like that you only need to feed it once every 2 months, replenish when needed.
rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie »

My DW was recently diagnosed with celiac disease (gluten intolerance). So I ordered some King Arthur brownie mix

on the inter-web. Not being much of a baker I forged on adding a cracked egg,oil and water. Since this is a PG-Rated site let's

just say the next optional ingredient helped my back pain. Outstanding Fudge Brownies! 8-) rockon'
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Last week:
Gluten free chocolate fudge brownies.

This week:
Gluten free cornbread.

This thread is ruining my figure. . . . . :shock:

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
samtex

Post by samtex »

Bingo, I bet that was the issue, in fact the oven was off but I left the light on, if I remember it was closer to 100°

Samtex
Elsebet wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 am

Samtex
If water is too warm it can kill the yeast. I usually stick to lukewarm water, no higher than 110F.

A 12 hour proof at 90F would probably cause the bread to become overproofed and turn out flat. If you want to proof for 12 hours or overnight, put the bread dough in the refrigerator. I do this with my sourdough, the slow cold proof enhances the flavor of the bread.

Also is your yeast old? Old yeast will sometimes not rise.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

Palćinke with apricot jam. Mmmmmm
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:50 pm ...For the next batch, I'll try making my no-knead dough as I do with commercial yeast, but swap out 1/2 Cup of water with the yeast water . Based on How to Make Yeast at Home ⋆ My German Recipes, 125 ml of yeast water (1/2 cup) will work for up to 500g flour (4 cups).

In a few days, my first batch of yeast water will be ready to put in the fridge for storage. I like that you only need to feed it once every 2 months, replenish when needed.
Success!! The dough had a lot more liquid than I'd like, but it's bread. Homemade "wild" yeast does indeed change the flavor of the bread - it's fresher.

Yeast water bread (for the toaster oven)

- Take the yeast water out of the fridge and let it come up to room temperature, a few hours. Put the unused portion back in the fridge.

-In a large bowl, combine:
  • 10 oz water
  • 4 oz yeast water (Important: Before pouring, shake the jar to get the yeast off the bottom)
  • 1-1/2 tsp salt
  • (optional) 1 tablespoon of chia seed -or- garlic powder -or- sesame seed -or- rosemary*
  • Mix the above
-Add 3-3/4 cups bread flour
- Mix the above

- Cover the bowl with seran wrap, put it in the oven with the oven light on.
- Wait 8 hours <--- or longer

- Grease a Pullman pan (I use Crisco).
- Degas the dough (stir with handle-end of a wooden spoon) and pour into Pullman pan
- Cover and wait until it doubles in size, about 1 hour

- Set the toaster oven to 40 min. at 400 deg F
- Put the lid on the Pullman pan and put it in the oven. Start. (Oven at room temperature)
My oven takes 5 minutes to come up to temperature. If you preheat the oven, put it in for 45 minutes.

- When done, take it out of the oven and remove the lid. If the top isn't brown, put it back in the toaster over with the lid off, ~5 minutes.
- Dump the bread onto a wire rack and let it cool. Done.

I think the main difference between yeast water and commercial yeast is that you have to wait about double the rise time.

* This is where you add flavor to your bread. Rosemary is a guaranteed fan favorite. Garlic is also good. Chia seeds give it a spicy nut taste.

Update 7/18/20: Changed flour from 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups. Change wait time from 16 to 8 hours.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Finally found some King Arthur Bread Flour on Walmart next-day delivery. Even the King Arthur website is out of their flour! Bought yeast on Amazon. Made my homemade white bread last Saturday. Three loaves--one for my neighbor, one for my son, and my boyfriend and I shared the other.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sandtrap wrote: This thread is ruining my figure. . . . . :shock:

j :happy
LOL :D
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Made the KAF Sourdough Waffles again this morning. It uses the discard starter.

I increased the sugar from 2 Tbl to 3 Tbl. And I'm using sugar that has had the remainder of a vanilla bean sitting in it for a few weeks.
kacang

Post by kacang »

Speaking of waffles. Waffled a tuna cheese sandwich for lunch, yum.

Found some forgotten nutritional yeast at the back of the cupboard. Added some to the current batch of sandwich bread dough, it gives a hint of cheese flavor. Not sure if I like it enough to continue using it that way.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I followed the waffles with White Whole Wheat Sourdough bread. Turned out pretty well, but I substituted 100 gm of the WWW flour with bread flour (total flour was 700 gm):
https://www.homemadefoodjunkie.com/begi ... ugh-bread/

they have a nice video on youtube showing the technique for their artisan sourdough. You just follow the steps using the WWW flour.

If I make it again, I'll reduce the salt. I used the "stretch and fold" method, and needed a bit more water to get a dough more consistent with what you can see in the video.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Cool day here, and I had 4 bananas getting too brown (and more in the freezer).

Voila - Cooks Illustrated banana bread is in the oven.
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Besides than the usual sourdough bread with flax seeds, my son baked a whisky-soaked dark chocolate bundt cake last week. I don't bake.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

- Baked Steelhead trout fillet with olive oil, garlic, lemon, and rosemary. Done in my toaster oven, 20 minutes at 350 deg F (internal temperature > 145 deg F).

Trout is known as a "fatty" type of salmon. I would agree, as it is indeed the color of salmon - but has a lot more fat. I saw it in the supermarket and thought I'd give it a try. Not bad.

- Green beans from my garden. Put them in a ceramic corning dish, add pressed garlic and butter. Mostly cover with water and microwave for 5 minutes.

- Fresh pesto using basil from my garden. Made in a food processor - add pine nuts, parmesan cheese, oil. The pesto was added to elbow pasta.

- No-knead rosemary bread. Make a basic no-knead bread, add 1 Tablespoon of dried rosemary. All of my breads are made using homemade yeast as described above in this post.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Today - zucchini bread.

Yesterday I made a spinach feta quiche which was also good. :happy
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Wife and MIL got 12 bags of apples (5lbs in each bag) for free.

Ended up baking 4 apple pies, 18 apple empanadas, and some applesauce, and still have 1 bag of apples left over.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Random Poster wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:20 pm... still have 1 bag of apples left over.
If you have freezer space - I make pie filling just like I would if I were going to bake a pie. Instead of baking, I line a pie tin with plastic wrap, place the pie mix in the tin, freeze. Once frozen, remove from pie tin (with the wrap), put in plastic bag and keep in freezer till needed. Fresh apple pie taste year round. I also just bake it without a shell, or make crumble, etc.

My apple trees are bearing fruit this year (good sized crop), and it's a way to use/store a lot of apples (often wormy ones!) in a short period of time.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Still no yeast near me, though I can buy pre-made bread so it's not a big deal, more for fun. I finally found baking powder and made biscuits with some bread flour. They were good, though all purpose flour would make them fluffier.

For those still without yeast, try bannock or sledging biscuits. Famous food from Antarctica!
https://www.cookingnook.com/recipe/bannock/
https://www.coolantarctica.com/schools/ ... recipe.php

To learn more about Antarctica, maybe: :confused
https://ralphrobertmoore.com/arcindex.html
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Deep-dish mushroom, spinach, and garlic pizza.

I don't know why, but my homemade yeast water failed to rise the pizza dough. It was a sticky ball of dough that was not amenable to being rolled out.

OK, I can work with that. I formed the dough inside a deep-dish pizza pan. A nice benefit of deep-dish pizza is that it fits in my toaster oven. There was no need to fire up the oven on a hot summer day. 400 deg F for 25 minutes.

That was yesterday. Thanks to Tropical Storm Isaias, I'm on a generator today.* Cold pizza leftovers for the next few days will do just fine.

* I'm OK, no property damage.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Cinnamon Scones and chewy chocolate chip cookies. I used recipes for both from Sally's baking addiction website:
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com
Her recipes are fabulous. The scones and cookies were the best I have ever eaten. I better stop though.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Dave55 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:48 pm Cinnamon Scones and chewy chocolate chip cookies. I used recipes for both from Sally's baking addiction website:
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com
Her recipes are fabulous. The scones and cookies were the best I have ever eaten. I better stop though.

Dave
Thank you! I am a scone fan, so this is great!
Compound

Post by Compound »

Chocolate coconut macaroons.

I’ve been trying out a bunch of recipes to try to replicate a cookie my family would get from a local store during my childhood. Any time we bought them they’d be devoured in no time flat. The following recipe is the closest I’ve come and they turned out quite good (but just not quite as addicting as compared to what I remember — perhaps my sweet teeth have matured with age?). I replaced bittersweet chocolate for the pure cocoa as it’s more to my taste. Using sweetened coconut is absolutely key. The cookies come out very moist this way (how I like them). First time I tried, I used unsweetened coconut and it came out all wrong, dry and not nearly sweet enough.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/04/dark ... macaroons/

Post by 000 »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:42 pm That was yesterday. Thanks to Tropical Storm Isaias, I'm on a generator today.*

* I'm OK, no property damage.
True dedication to login on a generator! :happy
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I made Pane Bianco from the KAF website.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... nco-recipe

Delicious and so pretty! I used about half basil half dill for the filling as I have tons of dill.
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

I finally jumped on the sourdough bandwagon and received a starter from a friend. First attempt at using is a focaccia with simple toppings of olive oil, rosemary and Maldon salt. I really like this website - The Perfect Loaf - which is where I found the recipe/instructions. On to levain and country loaf!

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/a-simple-focaccia/
Topic Author
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Before Thanksgiving I made a cherry cobbler from KAF's printed baking book. It was too sweet and had too much fruit in it. I could not find the same recipe on their site to share. Does anyone have a beloved recipe for a cherry cobbler?

For Thanksgiving I made the usual pumpkin pie and chocolate pecan pies. These are the two recipes I use, just curious if there are others folks enjoy?

Chocolate pecan:
https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cho ... ie-bourbon
Here are my changes:
- I skip the bourbon
- Bake at 375 for 35-40 mins, not 55 - the pie will burn if you leave it in for 55 min, I know firsthand
- Use only 1/2 cup brown sugar, probably could use even less

Traditional Pumpkin:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23439 ... mpkin-pie/
Make sure you use freshly ground spices if possible. I add a bit of freshly ground black pepper and cloves, I like a spicier pumpkin pie.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Cornbread. From Krusteaz Honey Cornbread (& muffin) Mix.

It's good with the meal. And after with honey and milk for dessert. Would probably be good in a strawberry shortcake.

Learned of mix from friends. They suggest adding shredded cheese to list of ingredients... but I keep forgetting. (They got the idea because they like the small cheesy muffins served at a local barbeque place.)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

For Thanksgiving, I made homemade lemon curd, and spooned it into ready-made graham cracker crusts. (Sorry!) But it was only the two of us, and DH likes lemon tarts - and virtually no other pie-like concoction. ;)

This morning I made cranberry scones. I did so much cooking over the holiday weekend I was uninterested in making them in my time off.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Pesto and mushroom pizza.

- homemade dough
- mozarella, part skim
- homemade pesto
- sliced mushrooms
- pecorino romano on top

Not the greatest combination, but there's no such thing as bad pizza.
Sagefemme

Post by Sagefemme »

Lemon almond ricotta cake which I will serve with a dollop of lemon curd and a few berries, tomorrow for my daughter's birthday. We are going to try to have cake with a few family members outside in the afternoon. Not sure how it will go; weather report for tomorrow mid 50s and overcast. I wish I had an electric blanket for everyone! We do have a fire pit and will build a roaring fire.