Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
v1rtus

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by v1rtus »

Our retirement investments passed the quarter mil mark ($254k) for the first time in December.

33 and 31, last year our combined income of $140k was the first time in the six-figures. Will be about $170k this year so excited to see that number really grow over the next few years.
broncocountry25

Post by broncocountry25 »

Saved a net amount of $125,000 in the calendar year.

Not including principal paydown or anything like that. Also switched to the ROTH 401K and diverted money outside of retirement vehicles so I was taxed more to get to this number. Having more money outside of retirement vehicles really was the right choice for me. I feel like I have more options going forward and going to use that to increase my earnings in 2022.

2021 was a hard and great year!

One of the better parts was giving my grandparents money at the end of the year. Having them say they have never had anyone do that for them was very cool and it has shown me that I need to keep working hard and find more ways to give (even to my own family).

Here is to 2022! :sharebeer
Tamalak

Re: Two Comma Club

Post by Tamalak »

Today, with this small market increase, I joined the two comma club at the age of 38 :sharebeer

It's so good to know that no matter what happens with my employment, I'll be okay. Money is freedom.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

v1rtus wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:57 pm Our retirement investments passed the quarter mil mark ($254k) for the first time in December.

33 and 31, last year our combined income of $140k was the first time in the six-figures. Will be about $170k this year so excited to see that number really grow over the next few years.
Congratulations :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

broncocountry25 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:43 pm Saved a net amount of $125,000 in the calendar year.

Not including principal paydown or anything like that. Also switched to the ROTH 401K and diverted money outside of retirement vehicles so I was taxed more to get to this number. Having more money outside of retirement vehicles really was the right choice for me. I feel like I have more options going forward and going to use that to increase my earnings in 2022.

2021 was a hard and great year!

One of the better parts was giving my grandparents money at the end of the year. Having them say they have never had anyone do that for them was very cool and it has shown me that I need to keep working hard and find more ways to give (even to my own family).

Here is to 2022! :sharebeer
It sounds like you had a very good year. Lots of saving, and putting money in a Roth is wise.

It’s great that you were able to “give back” to your grandparents. I expect that they were both appreciative and very proud of you.

Congratulations!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

lobsterman2112 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:44 pm Since 2012 I've been keeping track of my investment assets in a spreadsheet. Initially it was once a year, but now I do it monthly, since I use the sheet to tell me which asset class I'm low in and adjust my monthly investing accordingly.

We have no loans and own our house. DW and I are in the health care field and are both in our early 50s.

We are somewhat thrifty and have been trying to avoid lifestyle creep. That's more difficult since we seen the neighbors a lot more as no one's traveling this last couple years and we do a lot more going to each other's back yards and basements on the weekends.

Net worth is only investable assets and do not include the worth of our house or children's 529 plans. I originally was Age-15 in bonds and the rest mostly in Total Stock Market. I'm planning in 2022 to have a flat 2M in bonds and the rest mostly in Total Stock Market.:

2012: 01.M
2013: 0.4M
2014: 0.7M
2015: 1.0M
2016: 1.4M
2017: 2.1M
2018: 2.3M
2019: 3.2M
2020: 4.1M
2021: 5.3M
You’ve added over $5 million in net worth in nine years. That’s a pretty incredible rate of increase.

Keep spending under control sure helps in building wealth, as I’m sure you’ve seen.

Congratulations.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Tamalak wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:53 am Today, with this small market increase, I joined the two comma club at the age of 38 :sharebeer

It's so good to know that no matter what happens with my employment, I'll be okay. Money is freedom.
Congrats Tamalak! It surely is an amazing feeling. I got there in 2019 and I'm closing in now on my "F-U" number. As I get closer to that number, I have seriously less tolerance for nonsense at work. Within the next 5 years, I will get to that number (potentially much sooner if Mr Market cooperates) and I'll see then if I stay at work, retire early, or switch gears to something else.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Tamalak wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:53 am Today, with this small market increase, I joined the two comma club at the age of 38 :sharebeer

Congrats!
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:48 pm

Congrats Tamalak! It surely is an amazing feeling. I got there in 2019 and I'm closing in now on my "F-U" number. As I get closer to that number, I have seriously less tolerance for nonsense at work. Within the next 5 years, I will get to that number (potentially much sooner if Mr Market cooperates) and I'll see then if I stay at work, retire early, or switch gears to something else.
For real, it's astonishing how this has affected my attitude at work too. I simply don't worry about anything, do what I think is best, and speak my mind gently but without filter. Hasn't caused any problems so far but we'll see how long :D
chassis

Post by chassis »

Congratulations! Welcome to the club!
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

this year i will be in the 2 comma club; i can feel it
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

"The first rule about two comma club is you don't talk about two comma club"

Makes it a bit easier to retain membership
This content is for entertainment purposes only
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

We moved into the two comma club just a few short months ago. I say "we" because this is a household net worth, just my Wife and I. Even at 58 years old, I find it quite an accomplishment because neither of us has ever earned a six figure income, so yes, it can be done.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Hoping to reach the next single digit in the two comma culb in investable assets this year.
Needed only another 37K to make it a few weeks ago.
So close....so close. :D
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

flyingcows wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:38 pm "The first rule about two comma club is you don't talk about two comma club"

Makes it a bit easier to retain membership
100% agree!
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

This is a big deal. Well done. And thanks for sharing.
“My opinions are just that - opinions.”
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I moved a number of posts from Two Comma Club into this thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

meowcat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:41 pm We moved into the two comma club just a few short months ago. I say "we" because this is a household net worth, just my Wife and I. Even at 58 years old, I find it quite an accomplishment because neither of us has ever earned a six figure income, so yes, it can be done.
That is awesome. Congratulations and all the best for 2022!
Strifey

Post by Strifey »

Nice! Sounds like we're in the same boat and around the same age, I also hit two comma club today at age of 37 from the market increases.

Currently my Fidelity full view shows $1,006,335.

I'm fully expecting myself to have fluctuations exit/entering the 2 comma club for the near future depending on how the market goes though...
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

In my "slow but steady wins the race" approach, I passed another retirement account milestone in 2021. Because I got a late start on this whole "adulting" business, a decade ago (in 2011) I was 150k below my target for total balances in retirement accounts at that age. But in 2021, I finally crossed the zero-point barrier and ended up 50k over my retirement account target for the year. The markets helped quite a bit in that of course, but it's still positive progress.

I also somehow have ended up with appreciable house equity, which is a very perplexing feeling since I had the misfortune to buy this house in 2007 (in the days when I was still very green to this whole financial literacy thing and I fell for the "buy now before it gets any higher!" hype coming from a co-worker). I got used to seeing LTV values like 200% and 150% during the last housing downturn. I have no idea what to do with my current LTV of 55%, although I'm more than aware this could evaporate pretty quickly if/when the current housing boom turns to bust.

To celebrate these milestones last week, I doubled my donations to my favorite local animal welfare and food bank charities.
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

Strifey wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:00 pm

Nice! Sounds like we're in the same boat and around the same age, I also hit two comma club today at age of 37 from the market increases.

I'm fully expecting myself to have fluctuations exit/entering the 2 comma club for the near future depending on how the market goes though...
Wow what a coincidence! Yeah I fully expect for us to be unmillionaired a time or two over the course of the year, let's see what happens :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tamalak on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Mudpuppy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:44 am In my "slow but steady wins the race" approach, I passed another retirement account milestone in 2021. Because I got a late start on this whole "adulting" business, a decade ago (in 2011) I was 150k below my target for total balances in retirement accounts at that age. But in 2021, I finally crossed the zero-point barrier and ended up 50k over my retirement account target for the year. The markets helped quite a bit in that of course, but it's still positive progress.

I also somehow have ended up with appreciable house equity, which is a very perplexing feeling since I had the misfortune to buy this house in 2007 (in the days when I was still very green to this whole financial literacy thing and I fell for the "buy now before it gets any higher!" hype coming from a co-worker). I got used to seeing LTV values like 200% and 150% during the last housing downturn. I have no idea what to do with my current LTV of 55%, although I'm more than aware this could evaporate pretty quickly if/when the current housing boom turns to bust.

To celebrate these milestones last week, I doubled my donations to my favorite local animal welfare and food bank charities.
Good for you for catching up to, and now exceeding, your retirement glidepath. That's certainly a positive development.

And being charitably generous is a good thing. I'm sure that the animals and the food bank appreciate your donations.

Congratulations!
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Looks like I had a total return in 2021 of 15.59%. Looks like my fool proof 45/45/10 AA is still kickin' it.
Simplicity rules!
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
diydocwifejd

Post by diydocwifejd »

Net worth increased by $305k today! Husband's student loans were forgiven through PSLF :sharebeer :sharebeer :beer :moneybag :mrgreen:
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin
novolog

Post by novolog »

diydocwifejd wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:55 pm Net worth increased by $305k today! Husband's student loans were forgiven through PSLF :sharebeer :sharebeer :beer :moneybag :mrgreen:
wow! congrats that is a huge windfall
S&P 500 + Bitcoin
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

diydocwifejd wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:55 pm Net worth increased by $305k today! Husband's student loans were forgiven through PSLF :sharebeer :sharebeer :beer :moneybag :mrgreen:
Congratulations! I am sure it was a relief to have the application approved after all of the uncertainty about the program in the past.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
Weathering

Post by Weathering »

deleted
Last edited by Weathering on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Congratulations! That's great to hear that others were successful with the forgiveness program.

I'm still waiting on HR to sign my PSLF form, although I just sent it to them right after the holidays and perhaps the responsible people are still on vacation or out sick with Omicron. I'll try calling and emailing for another couple of weeks to get some traction. I have over 10 years of "extended" and "graduated" plan payments that will now qualify under the current exceptions, so I'm hoping to get similar good news before summer.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Weathering wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:03 pm $4M investments net worth (does not include equity in home) - just hit this number yesterday but may drop below it today.
49 & 50 (1 retired five years ago and the other to retire in 6 years).

My spouse says that everything over $4M is gravy, so we may start to creep up our lifestyle.

My #1 advice: avoid new cars and learn to enjoy solving problems (like how to solve the problem of a broken-down car).
Congratulations on hitting a truly significant milestone!
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

Normchad wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:37 pm
meowcat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:41 pm We moved into the two comma club just a few short months ago. I say "we" because this is a household net worth, just my Wife and I. Even at 58 years old, I find it quite an accomplishment because neither of us has ever earned a six figure income, so yes, it can be done.
That is awesome. Congratulations and all the best for 2022!
Thanks, Normchad! It feels good to share it with this board as not a single living soul outside of this forum knows our net worth. I just don't think any good could come from it.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
Arron Duncan

Post by Arron Duncan »

just hit $100k total saved this month very happy
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

Arron Duncan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:01 pm just hit $100k total saved this month very happy
Well done, keep on growing it.
My other vehicle is an index fund.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Arron Duncan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:01 pm just hit $100k total saved this month very happy
That is absolutely excellent.

Congratulations!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Total comp (excluding pension and insurance but including bonus and matching) will exceed $300k for me for the first time ever! Very long term goal of mine. On to 350!

So nice to be in a community that doesn’t criticize me for caring about economic advancement. Thanks all.

PS, yes I have many other interests and hobbies as well.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Care to share any tips and strategies?
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:08 am Total comp (excluding pension and insurance but including bonus and matching) will exceed $300k for me for the first time ever! Very long term goal of mine. On to 350!

So nice to be in a community that doesn’t criticize me for caring about economic advancement. Thanks all.

PS, yes I have many other interests and hobbies as well.
Congrats!! That's fantastic.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Congrats! The first $100k is the hardest IMO.
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

Tamalak wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:39 am
Strifey wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:00 pm

Wow what a coincidence! Yeah I fully expect for us to be unmillionaired a time or two over the course of the year, let's see what happens :mrgreen:
oh hamburgers
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Today I made my first taxable brokerage account buy transaction ever in my life (other than buying the core fund at account opening), and also my first Vanguard investment, VTI.

This is surely the start of either good things or bad, I’ll let you know in 15 years how it all worked out.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:14 pm Today I made my first taxable brokerage account buy transaction ever in my life (other than buying the core fund at account opening), and also my first Vanguard investment, VTI.

This is surely the start of either good things or bad, I’ll let you know in 15 years how it all worked out.
Congratulations o starting your taxable brokerage account. Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) is an excellent choice :).
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:56 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:14 pm Today I made my first taxable brokerage account buy transaction ever in my life (other than buying the core fund at account opening), and also my first Vanguard investment, VTI.

Congratulations o starting your taxable brokerage account. Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) is an excellent choice :).
Thanks! :beer This is kind of fun, actually. I picked some up at $215. 212 would have been better but hey, still not shabby.
Waiting to see what price I got on some FSKAX in my IRA purchased today [update: $123]. I bought less there since execution price was not guaranteed. Not much overall, just getting my sea legs.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berg

Post by berg »

My latest milestone -- I am no longer Flagship at Vanguard. My account has fallen below $1M, which we passed in 2021. The market giveth and the market taketh away! :D Have to find the humor in it! Of course, it doesn't matter at all in the long run.
Boilermaker10

Post by Boilermaker10 »

Boilermaker10 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:13 am Crossed 1 million in net worth last month! 26 years old and married. Goal in college was to do it by 29 years old (wanted to do it before 30).

First million is supposed to be the hardest, new goal is 10 million by 35
Crossed 2 million in NW recently. First million took 26 years second one took another 6 months. Snowball effect in action
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Boilermaker10 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:18 am
Boilermaker10 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:13 am Crossed 1 million in net worth last month! 26 years old and married. Goal in college was to do it by 29 years old (wanted to do it before 30).

First million is supposed to be the hardest, new goal is 10 million by 35
Crossed 2 million in NW recently. First million took 26 years second one took another 6 months. Snowball effect in action
$2 million net worth at age 27 is very impressive.

Congratulations!
mouth

Post by mouth »

I DID IT!!!

Not only did I have to pay NIIT this year but I crossed into Additional Medicare Tax territory this year.

Yeah bittersweet to say the least. But as many say, very good problems to have. :sharebeer
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

mouth wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:11 pm I DID IT!!!

Not only did I have to pay NIIT this year but I crossed into Additional Medicare Tax territory this year.

Yeah bittersweet to say the least. But as many say, very good problems to have. :sharebeer
Congratulations on your increasing income!
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

berg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:50 am My latest milestone -- I am no longer Flagship at Vanguard. My account has fallen below $1M, which we passed in 2021. The market giveth and the market taketh away! :D Have to find the humor in it! Of course, it doesn't matter at all in the long run.
It has been eight months and several emails, I had rollover 1.7 million to my Vanguard account and still no Flagship membership.

Vanguard is aware of no benefit request for FS, I may never ever get it.

Vanguard probably too busy trying to fix “broken beacon app” or poor customer service which I have experienced as of late eg 3 hour hold time.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Have two notable milestones for us. Today I paid off my first new car loan. Loan was 2.4% or so, and had it since only October/November. Considering it was for me the first new car I’ve ever purchased, and an EV, it felt like a huge expense. But got my tax return deposited today, and I was able to make the final payoff. I would have never thought I could afford, much less pay off a $40k+ car that fast, even just a few years ago. Given where EV prices and gas prices have gone as of late, it almost feels like an investment!

Second milestone is that DW just got a job offer over 6 figures, a first. Really proud of her! Doesn’t feel like we are getting ahead in this VHCOL and high inflationary environment, but have to celebrate the milestones nonetheless.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

angelescrest wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:14 pm Have two notable milestones for us. Today I paid off my first new car loan. Loan was 2.4% or so, and had it since only October/November. Considering it was for me the first new car I’ve ever purchased, and an EV, it felt like a huge expense. But got my tax return deposited today, and I was able to make the final payoff. I would have never thought I could afford, much less pay off a $40k+ car that fast, even just a few years ago. Given where EV prices and gas prices have gone as of late, it almost feels like an investment!

Second milestone is that DW just got a job offer over 6 figures, a first. Really proud of her! Doesn’t feel like we are getting ahead in this VHCOL and high inflationary environment, but have to celebrate the milestones nonetheless.
Congratulations on both counts!