Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
dboeger1

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by dboeger1 »

I knew we were approaching the $1m net worth milestone, but I was not expecting to hit it this year. However, we've had good fortune with raises and bonuses, and good luck with timing buys and sells. I wasn't trying to time the market, but rather adjusting things like asset location and allocation, and it always just happened that we sold high and bought back in lower. I just checked, and as of today, we are a touch over $1m net worth. That consists of about $570k in liquid investments + $950k worth of home - $500k mortgage.

My wife and I are about 30 and started with nothing after college. We both work in tech in the Bay Area, but neither of us is very high up or works for FAANG-type companies, so it was often discouraging seeing peers make more money, buy nicer houses, drive nicer cars, etc. But we just kept plugging along as best as we could until we could eventually buy a house in 2020 and have our first child in 2021. I will say for people like us, it sucks having to live live cheapskates for years, but as long as you can maintain a good savings rate, it does get better eventually. Buying a house represented a huge step function in our quality of life and overall happiness and satisfaction, because it effectively capped our living expense increases, not to mention we finally had space for a baby. I suppose we could rush to pay off the mortgage or continue aggressively saving every dollar, but it finally feels like we're at a point where we can spend our money a little more freely without huge consequences. We now do lots of little things like ordering things other than water at restaurants or paying for parking instead of searching for free parking and walking to places downtown, and it doesn't move the needle for us.

Between increases in income and strong market returns, the final approach to $1m happened so much faster than our early accumulation. It took a long time to save the first $100k or so, and I spent some time unemployed, during which my wife's income fell slightly short of our expenses, so we actually depleted some of those early savings for a while. But things just kept gradually getting better, and now, I almost feel like we're in a different world entirely. I truly feel blessed to have reached this milestone. Next stop: $1m liquid assets!
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

dboeger1 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:30 pm and have our first child in 2021.
Congratulations on your firstborn, your home, and your significant financial milestone! At 30ish years old, you have set yourselves up very nicely for a very comfortable life for you and your child.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

dboeger1 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:30 pm Between increases in income and strong market returns, the final approach to $1m happened so much faster than our early accumulation. It took a long time to save the first $100k or so, and I spent some time unemployed, during which my wife's income fell slightly short of our expenses, so we actually depleted some of those early savings for a while. But things just kept gradually getting better, and now, I almost feel like we're in a different world entirely. I truly feel blessed to have reached this milestone.
That’s a wonderful story!

At age 30, with a new house, a new kiddo, and a $1 million net worth, you’re definitely doing things right.

Congratulations!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
theorist

Post by theorist »

dboeger1 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:30 pm I knew we were approaching the $1m net worth milestone, but I was not expecting to hit it this year. However, we've had good fortune with raises and bonuses, and good luck with timing buys and sells. I wasn't trying to time the market, but rather adjusting things like asset location and allocation, and it always just happened that we sold high and bought back in lower. I just checked, and as of today, we are a touch over $1m net worth. That consists of about $570k in liquid investments + $950k worth of home - $500k mortgage.

My wife and I are about 30 and started with nothing after college. We both work in tech in the Bay Area, but neither of us is very high up or works for FAANG-type companies, so it was often discouraging seeing peers make more money, buy nicer houses, drive nicer cars, etc. But we just kept plugging along as best as we could until we could eventually buy a house in 2020 and have our first child in 2021. I will say for people like us, it sucks having to live live cheapskates for years, but as long as you can maintain a good savings rate, it does get better eventually. Buying a house represented a huge step function in our quality of life and overall happiness and satisfaction, because it effectively capped our living expense increases, not to mention we finally had space for a baby. I suppose we could rush to pay off the mortgage or continue aggressively saving every dollar, but it finally feels like we're at a point where we can spend our money a little more freely without huge consequences. We now do lots of little things like ordering things other than water at restaurants or paying for parking instead of searching for free parking and walking to places downtown, and it doesn't move the needle for us.

Between increases in income and strong market returns, the final approach to $1m happened so much faster than our early accumulation. It took a long time to save the first $100k or so, and I spent some time unemployed, during which my wife's income fell slightly short of our expenses, so we actually depleted some of those early savings for a while. But things just kept gradually getting better, and now, I almost feel like we're in a different world entirely. I truly feel blessed to have reached this milestone. Next stop: $1m liquid assets!
Congrats! At 30 you’re doing great and ahead of the game. [And in the Bay Area, at least until you have a three comma net worth, you’ll always know of people nearby who are making more :-).]
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Stinky wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:57 pm
dboeger1 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:30 pm Between increases in income and strong market returns, the final approach to $1m happened so much faster than our early accumulation. It took a long time to save the first $100k or so, and I spent some time unemployed, during which my wife's income fell slightly short of our expenses, so we actually depleted some of those early savings for a while. But things just kept gradually getting better, and now, I almost feel like we're in a different world entirely. I truly feel blessed to have reached this milestone.
That’s a wonderful story!

At age 30, with a new house, a new kiddo, and a $1 million net worth, you’re definitely doing things right.

Congratulations!
Awesome and congrats!😃
broncocountry25

Post by broncocountry25 »

Turning 32 today!

Following the Boglehead approach with some real estate sprinkled in on the side has gotten my family to about a $1.3 million net worth!

Pretty amazing and I am very grateful.

Another cool milestone is that we have about $1.05 of investments outside of the primary residence. This is the first time that I have felt like no matter what we have something to fall back on.

We are still working really hard at this point and had our first daughter last year. Will most likely keep pushing hard for the foreseeable future. The momentum feels like it is picking up with income and growing assets which helps boost the motivation. Feel like we shifted out of first/second gear and are in third now.

Hopefully 32 will be a great year with more opportunity.

:sharebeer
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

broncocountry25 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:05 am Turning 32 today!

Following the Boglehead approach with some real estate sprinkled in on the side has gotten my family to about a $1.3 million net worth!

Another cool milestone is that we have about $1.05 of investments outside of the primary residence. This is the first time that I have felt like no matter what we have something to fall back on.

We are still working really hard at this point and had our first daughter last year. Will most likely keep pushing hard for the foreseeable future. The momentum feels like it is picking up with income and growing assets which helps boost the motivation. Feel like we shifted out of first/second gear and are in third now.

Happy birthday! You’re doing a great job.

I’ve often looked at the process of building wealth like a snowball rolling down a hill. It may start small and slowly, but as time goes on the snowball gets bigger and rolls faster. It sounds like you’re on a track like that.

Congratulations!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
broncocountry25

Post by broncocountry25 »

Stinky wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:43 am
broncocountry25 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:05 am Turning 32 today!

Happy birthday! You’re doing a great job.

I’ve often looked at the process of building wealth like a snowball rolling down a hill. It may start small and slowly, but as time goes on the snowball gets bigger and rolls faster. It sounds like you’re on a track like that.

Congratulations!
Absolutely a snowball really hard years to start this process. Happy the hard work is paying off.
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

I think I broke even against the expected income without my graduate degree, give or take a few months. My investment in graduate education is now in the green.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

secondopinion wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:32 pm I think I broke even against the expected income without my graduate degree, give or take a few months. My investment in graduate education is now in the green.
Good for you!

From here on, you’ll be “profiting” from your graduate degree. For many years to come, I hope.
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

Stinky wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:52 pm
secondopinion wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:32 pm I think I broke even against the expected income without my graduate degree, give or take a few months. My investment in graduate education is now in the green.
Good for you!

From here on, you’ll be “profiting” from your graduate degree. For many years to come, I hope.
I will (I have long-term disability insurance if things get bad, but higher baseline helps here). Now it is green, it should not be working against me.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Perhaps a different kind of milestone measurement, but this week I've hit the maximum Social Security contributions for the year; this is the earliest in the calendar year that I've ever done so. I'm looking forward to the extra cash flow for the rest of the year!
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

Paid off the mortgage yesterday— feels very good but also feels like it would be bragging to tell people so I will just post it here.

Cheers :sharebeer
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Iorek wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:22 am Paid off the mortgage yesterday— feels very good but also feels like it would be bragging to tell people so I will just post it here.

Congratulations!

There’s no feeling like driving up to your house and being able to say “It’s mine! All mine!”
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Iorek wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:22 am Paid off the mortgage yesterday— feels very good but also feels like it would be bragging to tell people so I will just post it here.

Congrats! :beer There are a few things to follow -

- Receive a copy of the mortgage stamped "Paid".
- Ensure that the county records the mortgage as paid. This is typically a release of lien on the property. The information can be found in the county's public records.
- Change the loss payee on your homeowner's insurance to remove the mortgage company. Don't do this until you have received a notice in writing that the mortgage has been paid.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

thanks all for the congrats and the advice! :D
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

Last edited by novemberrain on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

novemberrain wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:29 pm Finally hit $1M in post tax stock investments (taxable). Feels like a nice round number.
Here's to a faster path to $2M taxable.
Net worth is 3+ including home equity and retirement.
Congratulations! It’s a tough year to break new ground, so double congratulations. Keep up the good work.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Now down only 5X from the peak of late last year, so crawling back out of the abyss. Stay invested. The only way out is through.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

My new all-VTI taxable account is finally up for the year! I’ll take a short lived positive development. It’s not needed for 15 years anyway. (I bought into the downturn). my maxed, all-FSKAX Roth IRA (backdoor) is still slightly down for the year but only slightly.

I bought my first 8 week t-bill today. I have 4 and 26 weekers already and plan to buy some notes in Sept. this is to get some return on my bank savings.

Also as of this week, both my Fido accounts are up for the year, pretty amazing since I only invested in total market and started in January.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

Last edited by novemberrain on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

Stock market goes up 1+% today. I cashed out another 30K from my portfolio to pay down my mortgage. My mortgage would be paid off this year. Hooray!!

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:27 pm Folks,

Stock market goes up 1+% today. I cashed out another 30K from my portfolio to pay down my mortgage. My mortgage would be paid off this year. Hooray!!

KlangFool
Congrats, KF!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

KlangFool
That’s outstanding. Congratulations!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Kookaburra wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:28 pm

KlangFool
Congrats, KF!
Thanks.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Stinky wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:39 pm

KlangFool
That’s outstanding. Congratulations!
Thanks.

KlangFool
rocket354

Post by rocket354 »

Just hit $1.5mm total NW. The halfsies still count as milestones, right?

Almost 1.4 of that is invested. 16 months after finally getting to 1.0 total nw.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

KlangFool
Congratulations :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

rocket354 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:49 pm Just hit $1.5mm total NW. The halfsies still count as milestones, right?

Almost 1.4 of that is invested. 16 months after finally getting to 1.0 total nw.
Yes, halfsies count as milestones.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

KlangFool
That’s great! Congratulations!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:35 pm

KlangFool
Congratulations :D .
Thanks.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:14 pm

KlangFool
That’s great! Congratulations!
Thanks.

KlangFool
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

novemberrain wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:29 pm Finally hit $1M in post tax stock investments...
Here's to a faster path to $2M taxable.
It should be. You know what they say, the first billion is the hardest.
wander

Post by wander »

KlangFool
Congrats! Since you no longer have mortgage soon, are you changing your AA at all?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

wander wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:05 am

KlangFool
Congrats! Since you no longer have mortgage soon, are you changing your AA at all?
No. There is no reason too. 60/40 is good enough.

KlangFool
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Back in 2003 or so I’d been in the top 2 percent of US incomes, then I dropped back into the top percent 4 or so.

Then I very gradually eked back into the top 2, and now I just hit the top 1.5 percent, so in a sense that’s higher than it was before, even though it may not be higher on an inflation adjusted basis. It’s certainly the highest nominal salary I’ve ever earned, so it’s a milestone in that sense.

Another milestone is that I invested in securities about ten percent of my net worth this year (401k+IRA+catch ups+matching+I bonds+tbills+Roth IRA+taxable). That’s definitely more than I ever invested in a single year before, since I’d usually just max the 401k and catch up contribution and call it a day.

I noted with interest that people who are successful on this board often have investment contribution goals for each year, independent of net worth or return goals. So I guess I’ll try to match or even exceed this year’s contribution number next year if I can stomach it all.

Next month will be my one year anniversary of joining this august community.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
diydocwifejd

Post by diydocwifejd »

We reached $1M in investments! Husband is 37 and I’m 36. He’s a physician and 5 years out of training. We have a ways to go until FI (our target is $7M), but it’s amazing to finally have this first big investing milestone behind us! I also just accepted a new job where I’m almost doubling my income, so that should help us reach some goals quicker :D YAY!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

diydocwifejd wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:54 am We reached $1M in investments! Husband is 37 and I’m 36. He’s a physician and 5 years out of training. We have a ways to go until FI (our target is $7M), but it’s amazing to finally have this first big investing milestone behind us! I also just accepted a new job where I’m almost doubling my income, so that should help us reach some goals quicker :D YAY!
You’re well on your way to financial success.

Congratulations!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

diydocwifejd wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:54 am We reached $1M in investments! Husband is 37 and I’m 36. He’s a physician and 5 years out of training. We have a ways to go until FI (our target is $7M), but it’s amazing to finally have this first big investing milestone behind us! I also just accepted a new job where I’m almost doubling my income, so that should help us reach some goals quicker :D YAY!
Congratulations :) .

You are doing great, and well on your way.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

$1M in my Fido 401k account.
My real target is $1M in taxable! That’s gonna take some time!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:04 am $1M in my Fido 401k account.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:39 am
Wannaretireearly wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:04 am $1M in my Fido 401k account.
Thanks much! These threads are motivating for sure 👍👍
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
aquifer

10 years as a Boglehead - Thank You!

Post by aquifer »

[Merged into here by Moderator Misenplace - see below]

I joined the Bogleheads on October 20, 2012. Ten years ago already!

Before that, I had a 401k at work and a small Roth IRA at Edward Jones. The Jones fund was called Investment Company of America. I would occasionally put a few dollars into it, but for years I wondered why it never did any better than the benchmark. I had no idea that you could invest in the index itself, but curiosity and google eventually led me to a book by Mike Piper called Investing Made Simple. The book changed my life. I subsequently read several books by John Bogle, and eventually started browsing the Bogleheads forum. The light came on in my mind, I joined the Bogleheads, and now I spend zero time wondering how I should be investing. All of my 401k money is in a Target Retirement fund, and I long ago moved my Roth to Vanguard and have that money in a Target Date fund too. My other investments are almost all index funds, adhering to the overall asset allocation that I have chosen. I do enjoy watching my investments, even when they’re down, but I never doubt that I’m doing the right thing. I just keep investing.

The point of this post is to say THANK YOU to the Bogleheads who have answered my questions over the years, and especially to Mike Piper for the simple, straight forward way he explained investing in his book. I don’t know Mike, but I know he’s on the forum from time to time. I don’t visit the forum nearly as much as I used to, but it looks like it’s grown tremendously over the years. Tons of posts out there! Good to see.

Keep it simple and stay the course!
bertilak

Re: 10 years as a Boglehead - Thank You!

Post by bertilak »

Made me look. 11 years for me.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

aquifer, I moved your thread from Personal Investments forum into this "Milestones' Thread".

Congratulations!
hadron

Post by hadron »

Landed a 1+ million job offer. This is 2x of what I make at my current job where I have worked for a while. 70% of the comp is RSUs which has taken a beating so far this year. If it recovers, which is a big if, things might look up even more.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

hadron wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:25 pm Landed a 1+ million job offer. This is 2x of what I make at my current job where I have worked for a while. 70% of the comp is RSUs which has taken a beating so far this year. If it recovers, which is a big if, things might look up even more.
Job title?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:12 pm Made me look. 11 years for me.
14 years for me :D .
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

aquifer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:03 pm [Merged into here by Moderator Misenplace - see below]

... All of my 401k money is in a Target Retirement fund, and I long ago moved my Roth to Vanguard and have that money in a Target Date fund too. My other investments are almost all index funds, adhering to the overall asset allocation that I have chosen. I do enjoy watching my investments, even when they’re down, but I never doubt that I’m doing the right thing. I just keep investing.
Idea: little tweak. Learned this from other BHs. Since Roth withdrawals are tax-free, 401K withdrawals are taxed as ordinary income (QDI/LTCG tax benefits are lost), and equities are expected to grow more than bonds, could convert your Roth to 100% equities (for increased growth)... and skew your 401K more toward bonds (earlier TDF). Then in retirement, when it's time to withdraw/convert your 401K, the increased bonds (less expected growth) should slightly reduce your taxes.

Why? Since bond dividends withdrawn from a traditional retirement account (tIRA, t401K,...) are treated no worse than taxable bonds in a taxable account, then a traditional retirement plan is a good place to hold them. Equities want to be in a Roth.

Gotcha. If you TLH, then using TSM in your Roth would conflict with TLHing TSM in taxable. I sidestepped the problem by using VLCAX (LC index) in my Roth and TSM in taxable. In my Roth, instead I could have used S&P500 index fund + extended market index fund in 80/20 ratio to more closely approximate TSM, but I'm too lazy to mess with it, so decided to use LC index instead.

Several years back I when though a drill to simplify my investing (for myself and heirs) and reduce taxes. I followed livesoft's suggestion to review our Sch B for opportunities to increase tax efficiency. His suggestions:
--Reduce or eliminate everything reported on Sch B part 1. This is all taxable income.
--Everything on Sch B part 2 should have offsetting tax benefits for QDI (TSM, TISM), FTC (TISM), LTCG (when we sell LT).

Bonds in taxable. To his list, I added the tax benefit of tax-exempt dividends (muni funds) reported on Sch B part 2.
Since dividends are the major component of bond fund total return, then longer duration bonds return more dividends than shorter.
These two ideas lead me to research muni funds as an investing opportunity for bonds in taxable.

When I searched, I learned that VWLTX's (LT national muni) TEY (taxable-equivalent yield) always seems to be slightly higher than TBM's SEC yield*, in all fed tax brackets >=12%. (* No guaranteed that this will always be the case... it's just what I've seen to date. I've read BH advice that we should not use munis until we are in the ~30% fed tax bracket; I don't follow this advice.)

I now have several years of livings expense in muni funds. (Have recently been enjoying TLHing them to bank several more years of carryover loss.)

Long story short. So if you put all equities in your Roth, skew more toward bonds in your 401K (earlier TDF), and still need more bonds, could consider adding munis to taxable.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.