What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kcannon1

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by kcannon1 »

Cooked a pot of pinto beans for dinner(s).
Gmt21

Post by Gmt21 »

Stayed home and cooked some things from the freezer that I’ve had for awhile.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

WoostaGal wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:28 pm
watchnerd wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:55 pm
WoostaGal wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:33 pm Removed 10 years of dust from inside my PC using an IT equipment blower ordered for this purpose.
My PC booted up afterwards!

:D
You mean those cans of compressed air?
I used this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXF1GXQ8?ps ... ct_details
FORTY FIVE DOLLARS?!?!?!?
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Ate dinner at a nice restaurant on the 85th of a skyscraper and charged my car for free at the basement parking lot.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

stoptothink wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:30 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:26 pm I saw a $17.99 banana bread loaf today at a high end gourmet shop. I just laughed and took the smaller $8 loaf.
This is an interesting thread. I'm not sure how buying an $8 loaf of bread (or cake) is "frugal", but the term is subjective.
I went to Maui the other day and was also surprised at the cost of the banana bread at the local scenic points. Purchased one at $9 for a mini loaf and another better tasting one for $8. Quite pricey but I drove 3 hours for the second one (on the way to the black beach which was a letdown).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

cheesepep wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:02 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:30 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:26 pm I saw a $17.99 banana bread loaf today at a high end gourmet shop. I just laughed and took the smaller $8 loaf.
This is an interesting thread. I'm not sure how buying an $8 loaf of bread (or cake) is "frugal", but the term is subjective.
I went to Maui the other day and was also surprised at the cost of the banana bread at the local scenic points. Purchased one at $9 for a mini loaf and another better tasting one for $8. Quite pricey but I drove 3 hours for the second one (on the way to the black beach which was a letdown).
My threshold for "frugal" is much different than going to Maui and buying an expensive loaf of bread, but again, it's subjective.

I road my bike all around town today, passing stores that sell all manners of expensive goods. I didn't buy a thing, was I frugal :confused
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

pizzy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:37 pm
WoostaGal wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:28 pm
WoostaGal wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:33 pm Removed 10 years of dust from inside my PC using an IT equipment blower ordered for this purpose.

I used this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXF1GXQ8?ps ... ct_details
FORTY FIVE DOLLARS?!?!?!?
I just use my existing vacuum cleaner, with plastic attachments.

I use the brush attachment on the outside vents, and then use the crevice tool on the inside dust.

https://i.ibb.co/ZcbsQb0/s-l225.jpg

Incremental Cost: $0.

To avoid static electricity issues, just remove your socks, touch a large metal object (ex: refrigerator) to discharge any static electricity from your body, use plastic (not metal) vacuum cleaner attachments, and be careful not to touch any sensitive internal components.
nedjames

Post by nedjames »

Used a Dawn hack. Shampooed with 3 drops of Dawn concentrated instead of expensive shampoo. Great results.
FWIW - Don't use the Dawn hack for dishwasher or you'll be mopping up suds off your kitchen floor.
Nyakendu

Post by Nyakendu »

I bought 4 oz. of a brand name sunscreen on sale at Walmart online, instead of from the brand's website, and saved $12.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:25 pm
ProsperGoalzz wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:44 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:11 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:26 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:12 pm Shopped for cauliflower. $4 at farmers market, $7-8 at supermarket. $3 at ethnic grocery store 💪
I’m sorry, $7-8 dollars for cauliflower? For one?
Yep. Specifically $3,50 a pound. Come to CA and check it out for yourself ;)
Also in CA... What a rip! A Grocery Outlet opened in our neighborhood and though they don't have everything I want, they have much, and I think a cauliflower goes for @ $2.99!
Cauliflower were on sale for 99 cents/lb several places here this week. I am in the Midwest. I think the one I bought was around 2.2 lbs.

I buy what is on sale for veggies...which may or may not necessarily be what is in season. Demand can change, there may be multiple seasons (different countries), etc. I rarely have to have any particular vegetable at any particular time. There are some veggies we like more than others, but none we must have all the time. We like asparagus, but when it is $3.99 or more a pound I skip it. It is $.99-$1.99 a few times a year here. The variation in prices for the same veggie just in this location based on store, sales and season can be 5x.
I have family from out of country. Each farmers market visit here in NorCal is extortionate!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:26 pm

I’m sorry, $7-8 dollars for cauliflower? For one?
Also in CA... What a rip! A Grocery Outlet opened in our neighborhood and though they don't have everything I want, they have much, and I think a cauliflower goes for @ $2.99!
Cauliflower were on sale for 99 cents/lb several places here this week. I am in the Midwest. I think the one I bought was around 2.2 lbs.

I buy what is on sale for veggies...which may or may not necessarily be what is in season. Demand can change, there may be multiple seasons (different countries), etc. I rarely have to have any particular vegetable at any particular time. There are some veggies we like more than others, but none we must have all the time. We like asparagus, but when it is $3.99 or more a pound I skip it. It is $.99-$1.99 a few times a year here. The variation in prices for the same veggie just in this location based on store, sales and season can be 5x.
I have family from out of country. Each farmers market visit here in NorCal is extortionate!
I live in a huge city and the farmer's markets I've been to (in nice areas) the prices are astronomical. People think they are getting super fresh stuff on the produce (maybe they are...I'm not sure). There are also a lot of gourmet breads, spreads, jams, etc. The only things I've bought are things to eat on the spot because we were hungry. We still enjoy strolling through, seeing what they have and people watching. The closest one to us is on a boulevard lined with beautiful homes so that helps.

Maybe the prices at the farmer's markets are fair compared to Whole Foods or something like that. I also understand that if someone is loading up a truck, driving 3 hours, setting up a stand, paying for a booth, etc. that is a lot of work. There are no economies of scale like a grocery store has.

I am more of a believer in the skills of the cook. Obviously you can't turn garbage into a magnificent meal. However, I think a skilled cook can turn average ingredients into something better than an average cook can make with superb ingredients.
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

I brought my own beer to the golf course, don't tell anyone.
:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

pizzy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:56 pm

They have battery/electric versions. Like mini leaf blowers.
I use a handheld hairdryer for same (thrift store find, ~$5).
But once you open PC and get covered with its dust, you might as well do all of your dusting at same time.

(Do this second.) So I also use hairdryer to dust all furniture/fixtures/appliances. A handheld dust mop is useful to agitate areas of stubborn dust.

(If done, do this first.) I do have one piece of furniture that is too big to move, that after a few years can collect visible dust behind. What to do? A corded leaf blower makes short work of years of accumulated dust (think mini snowstorm, covers remaining furniture).*

Allow all of the dust to settle on accessible areas of floor.

Then I run a robot vacuum.

It takes <1hour to handle my spring dusting/vacuuming chores. Life is good.

So I don't dust the inside of my PC unless I've got >hour to kill.

* Pro tips, can use leaf blower to:
--Clean out vehicle. Put vehicle in driveway, open all doors and blow dust through/out of vehicle. It's more efficient to work with prevailing wind direction. Don't blow on areas of weak cloth upholstery/headliner---will tear weak cloth.
--Clean out dryer discharge vent line. Disconnect discharge vent hose from dryer, blow out vent line, reconnect.
--Clean out house gutters in the fall.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Swapped even-steven at a thrift store a wool rug I wasn't using and got two sturdy chairs I will use.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Last day of 8 day vacation in Charleston SC area. Free accommodations in exchange for taking care of homeowner’s dog.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

neilpilot wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:46 pm Last day of 8 day vacation in Charleston SC area. Free accommodations in exchange for taking care of homeowner’s dog.
Did you have a previous relationship with homeowner or did you get matched up somehow?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

pizzy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:47 pm
neilpilot wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:46 pm Last day of 8 day vacation in Charleston SC area. Free accommodations in exchange for taking care of homeowner’s dog.
Did you have a previous relationship with homeowner or did you get matched up somehow?
Use a specific website. This was our 25th “free” vacation accommodation in last 6 years. Mostly in USA, but also Europe & Canada.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

neilpilot wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:57 pm
Use a specific website. This was our 25th “free” vacation accommodation in last 6 years. Mostly in USA, but also Europe & Canada.
Wow, nice. Any problem pet stories? Maybe for another topic.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

pizzy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:05 pm
neilpilot wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:57 pm
Wow, nice. Any problem pet stories? Maybe for another topic.
Nice homes, good pets.
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

dratkinson wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:48 pm

But once you open PC and get covered with its dust, you might as well do all of your dusting at same time.

(Do this second.) So I also use hairdryer to dust all furniture/fixtures/appliances. A handheld dust mop is useful to agitate areas of stubborn dust.

(If done, do this first.) I do have one piece of furniture that is too big to move, that after a few years can collect visible dust behind. What to do? A corded leaf blower makes short work of years of accumulated dust (think mini snowstorm, covers remaining furniture).*

Another option is to disconnect your PC and bring it out to your porch so all the dust goes outside. From what I read online, heating up the components of your PC by using a hair dryer could be damaging.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:40 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 pm

I live in a huge city and the farmer's markets I've been to (in nice areas) the prices are astronomical. People think they are getting super fresh stuff on the produce (maybe they are...I'm not sure). There are also a lot of gourmet breads, spreads, jams, etc. The only things I've bought are things to eat on the spot because we were hungry. We still enjoy strolling through, seeing what they have and people watching. The closest one to us is on a boulevard lined with beautiful homes so that helps.

Maybe the prices at the farmer's markets are fair compared to Whole Foods or something like that. I also understand that if someone is loading up a truck, driving 3 hours, setting up a stand, paying for a booth, etc. that is a lot of work. There are no economies of scale like a grocery store has.

I am more of a believer in the skills of the cook. Obviously you can't turn garbage into a magnificent meal. However, I think a skilled cook can turn average ingredients into something better than an average cook can make with superb ingredients.
We live in a suburb of a pretty large city and this is exactly our experience as well. We'll occasionally go to the farmer's markets for the novelty, but the prices are so ridiculous that we don't ever buy anything.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

WoostaGal wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:30 am

Another option is to disconnect your PC and bring it out to your porch so all the dust goes outside. From what I read online, heating up the components of your PC by using a hair dryer could be damaging.
I have not tried this, but my hair dryer has a cool setting. Maybe that will work if you have one.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

McDougal wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:30 am
WoostaGal wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:30 am

I have not tried this, but my hair dryer has a cool setting. Maybe that will work if you have one.
+1. I use the cool setting.

Had not thought about disconnecting PC and taking it outside; may be an easy idea for some.

But in my case (8' table holding: 2x desktop PCs*, 2x printers*, flatbed scanner*, speakers, phone), I'd be put off by the need to pull table away from wall to get to the rat's nest of wires in back. Just easier to one-at-a-time, move a monitor to side, open PC case, and blow out dust.

* Have not yet been able to upgrade my old Excel records so need to keep old PC until then; after which time one PC/printer/scanner can go away and remove half of the rat's nest.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
futurebillionaire

Post by futurebillionaire »

On vacation in a completely different country e.g. developing, crazy busy roads - rented a car for several days, rather than taking taxis.

$20 a day for the car rental vs $20-30 for a single taxi journey from airport to my hotel, or from my hotel to the city centre.

Turned out to be loads of fun, convenient, and excellent value!
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

$5 pints at Gizmo Brewery.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Dregob wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:09 pm $5 pints at Gizmo Brewery.
Funny how $5 beers are considered frugal now, but you are right. Local brewery by me used to have $3 happy hour pints, but after Covid hit that has gone up to $6. I stay home much more often now.
CRC_Volunteer

Post by CRC_Volunteer »

It's Wednesday and $5.00 Sushi Day at Publix. On top of that, I received my 5% senior discount. Whoo Hoo!
"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." (Inigo Montoya) | | 65/30/05 | 53% VTSAX | 12% VTIAX | 30% VAIPX | 5% CASH
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

We live in a small town so today we did the 100 mile round trip to the big city to hit Total Wine and Costco. Stocked up on 4 cases of wine at Total Wine and then on to Costco for EVOO, lemons, limes and other lower cost home goods.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

Made a cruet of home-made salad dressing this morning.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Mulched my garden using partially decomposed leaves from last fall. No cost and reduces the need for water and weeding. Improves soil quality.
AgentOrange

Post by AgentOrange »

I brush my teeth in the dark. No need to see while I'm standing there brushing for two minutes. When it's time to rinse, I turn the lights back on.
I figure I save $0.59 a month in electricity this way! :D
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

AgentOrange wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:47 pm I brush my teeth in the dark. No need to see while I'm standing there brushing for two minutes. When it's time to rinse, I turn the lights back on.
I needed that! 😂
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

AgentOrange wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:47 pm I brush my teeth in the dark. No need to see while I'm standing there brushing for two minutes. When it's time to rinse, I turn the lights back on.
If you’re using 30 watts of LED bulbs, you’re using 30Wh per month. At $0.30/kWh, you’re saving $0.01/month.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:56 pm
If you’re using 30 watts of LED bulbs, you’re using 30Wh per month. At $0.30/kWh, you’re saving $0.01/month.
I'm weird as well and also do as much as possible in the dark. I don't look at it as saving a penny. I look at it as saving a penny at about an 8% return compounded over my lifetime...and of course this is magnified further when done throughout the house, every day, for decades upon decades...and you get other family members on board as well.

Perhaps I will have earned a free, succulent bison burger meal from Ted's by the time I'm ready to kick the bucket. I'd be cool with and proud of that.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I do pretty much everything "in the dark". We have plenty of windows, turning on lights is superfluous 90% of the time.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

stoptothink wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:37 am
I do pretty much everything "in the dark". We have plenty of windows, turning on lights is superfluous 90% of the time.
We have 44 windows and live in a sunny climate. We don’t use lights during the day, but I’ve always suspected that the amount we save on electricity is dwarfed by the amount we spend on Windex.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I spent $65 on groceries this week. Subsisted almost entirely on sandwiches. They were good ones, though.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:42 am
stoptothink wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:37 am
We have 44 windows and live in a sunny climate. We don’t use lights during the day, but I’ve always suspected that the amount we save on electricity is dwarfed by the amount we spend on Windex.
The problem with turning lights on in a home with kids, is that they don't get turned off.
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:42 am.........We have 44 windows and live in a sunny climate. We don’t use lights during the day, but I’ve always suspected that the amount we save on electricity is dwarfed by the amount we spend on Windex.
:-D
I don't know anything.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Was looking for a way to display a handmade rug on the wall. I originally intended to buy a wooden dowel to hang it from - then I thought, hey wait. I went out to the shrubby area at the edge of my apartment's parking lot and in five minutes found multiple willow sticks that, with a little whittling, would be perfect for the job! The rustic look is actually better for this kind of rug too (coarse wool, Navajo-style pattern).
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Ivygirl wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:26 pm Was looking for a way to display a handmade rug on the wall. I originally intended to buy a wooden dowel to hang it from - then I thought, hey wait. I went out to the shrubby area at the edge of my apartment's parking lot and in five minutes found multiple willow sticks that, with a little whittling, would be perfect for the job! The rustic look is actually better for this kind of rug too (coarse wool, Navajo-style pattern).
Those tack strips they use for holding carpet down are cheap and work really well for this. Cut the tack strip to length, fasten it to the wall, and hang the rug from it.
worthit

Post by worthit »

I returned a pair of shorts with the tag still on - turns out I bought it in 2021 at Costco :oops: . Original price about $14.

Also, saved $90 by returning a toner (unopened and still in the box) I purchased couple of weeks ago.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:56 pm
Ivygirl wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:26 pm Was looking for a way to display a handmade rug on the wall. I originally intended to buy a wooden dowel to hang it from - then I thought, hey wait. I went out to the shrubby area at the edge of my apartment's parking lot and in five minutes found multiple willow sticks that, with a little whittling, would be perfect for the job! The rustic look is actually better for this kind of rug too (coarse wool, Navajo-style pattern).
Those tack strips they use for holding carpet down are cheap and work really well for this. Cut the tack strip to length, fasten it to the wall, and hang the rug from it.
Yes, I saw those in some Youtube how-to videos I watched. I was just concerned about snagging and damage to the warp threads. Plus, using a stick, I don't have to buy anything at all.

Searching for the stick gave me a bonus frugal idea for a fun activity: when I was a kid, I used to be able to dowse: that is, find underground water with a forked willow stick. I wonder if I can still do it?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

worthit wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:15 pm

Also, saved $90 by returning a toner (unopened and still in the box) I purchased couple of weeks ago.
Am I being frugal if I buy an item today and then return it next month?
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I ate at this super expensive teppanyaki restaurant yesterday. And I didn't even like it. I'm convinced that the more expensive it is, the worse tasting it is.

The bill was split among us 3 people, but I paid the bill using my credit card, thus gaining valuable credit card points to be used for something else.
worthit

Post by worthit »

neilpilot wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:01 pm

Well, it is in my book as you decided not to consume it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

This entire thread is evidence of the subjectivity of the term "frugal". I wouldn't consider 95%+ of the posts an exhibition of "frugalness", but I'm just one man, with one opinion.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:01 am

This entire thread is evidence of the subjectivity of the term "frugal". I wouldn't consider 95%+ of the posts an exhibition of "frugalness", but I'm just one man, with one opinion.
Yes, but you’re a contender for “most frugal BH,” so your opinion does carry some heft :D I am not particularly frugal, by any standards but especially by BH standards, and I follow this thread to see if I can pick up some pointers. Most of the posts make me feel wasteful and degenerate, but perhaps that’s how I make progress. I am less wasteful than many with our income level, but that’s a lazy bar.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
worthit

Post by worthit »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:09 am
stoptothink wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:01 am

Yes, but you’re a contender for “most frugal BH,” so your opinion does carry some heft :D I am not particularly frugal, by any standards but especially by BH standards, and I follow this thread to see if I can pick up some pointers. Most of the posts make me feel wasteful and degenerate, but perhaps that’s how I make progress. I am less wasteful than many with our income level, but that’s a lazy bar.

+1.

I keep coming back to this thread to learn something new. I am also far from calling myself a "frugalist" per BH standards but there are some pearls of wisdom and some :confused for me (like my subjective frugality). I thoroughly enjoy these though.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

I bought one box of weetabix for $7, then balanced it out (in many ways) by buying two boxes of Hagan Daz ice cream cones which had $1 off. Each ice cream box was $9 for four cones.

My takeaway is I may need to find a cheaper grocery store to buy both of these items in the future :oops:
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“