What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sleepy06

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by sleepy06 »

Cut all the streaming services.
I'm back to buying DVDs/Blu-ray on sale on Slickdeals and recording over the air on a hard disk.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Shopped for cauliflower. $4 at farmers market, $7-8 at supermarket. $3 at ethnic grocery store 💪
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

normaldude wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:07 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:48 pm
LilyFleur wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:38 pm
normaldude wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:30 pm I eliminated all TV & movies from my life. This means no more physical TV, no more cable TV service, no more streaming media services.
Wow!
+1
Username change may be in order :)

ETA: To clarify, nothing derogatory is implied. I admire your self-disclipline.
It actually wasn't hard.

I asked myself: "If I were on my deathbed right now, looking back on my life, what would I regret having wasted too much time on?"

I realized that I had wasted thousands of hours on TV sports, TV shows, movies, etc.

So I cut all that stuff out of my life.

I assure you that when I am actually on my deathbed, and I'm asked what I regret about my life, I will NOT say "I wish I watched more TV sports, TV shows, and movies".

We all have a limited amount of minutes on this planet.

So if you go through the above mental excercise, you might come to the same conclusion that I did.
We didn't have a TV most of my childhood, then I never had a TV in my residence from age 16 (when I left for college) until age 25 when I married. I have almost no knowledge of TV pre-2007. Then I divorced at 30 and went without one until I remarried two years later. I recall previous threads on this board where some people have 5+ in their homes; wife and I agree that we'll never have more than one. I am admittedly a contributor to the "What are you watching" thread, but if I didn't have a wife and kids, strong possibility I wouldn't ever own a TV.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:12 pm Shopped for cauliflower. $4 at farmers market, $7-8 at supermarket. $3 at ethnic grocery store 💪
I’m sorry, $7-8 dollars for cauliflower? For one?
hmw

Post by hmw »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:26 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:12 pm Shopped for cauliflower. $4 at farmers market, $7-8 at supermarket. $3 at ethnic grocery store 💪
A califlower cost $2.77 at my local chain supermarket.
Godot

Post by Godot »

normaldude wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:30 pm I eliminated all TV & movies from my life. This means no more physical TV, no more cable TV service, no more streaming media services.
Wow!
+1

It actually wasn't hard.

I asked myself: "If I were on my deathbed right now, looking back on my life, what would I regret having wasted too much time on?"

I realized that I had wasted thousands of hours on TV sports, TV shows, movies, etc.

I assure you that when I am actually on my deathbed, and I'm asked what I regret about my life, I will NOT say "I wish I watched more TV sports, TV shows, and movies".

So if you go through the above mental excercise, you might come to the same conclusion that I did.
You're not wrong.
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Wow!
+1

It actually wasn't hard.

Thanks, but I think I have it managed to a level I'm happy with. DW is a TV addict and spends far too much time with a TV on--even if it is sometimes only background noise. We have reached a compromise that we will have a TV on between dinner and bedtime with no complaints from me. Before that time of day, she will not turn a TV on in whatever room I'm in and I will not complain if she watches TV in another room. I (usually we) do watch selected football games, the majors in golf, and the Triple Crown--not interested in other sporting events--outside the dinner-to-bedtime window. Works great for us.

We do have four TVs in the house; five now that DS is back home temporarily and brought one with him that a friend had given him.
Wannaretireearly

Yep. Specifically $3,50 a pound. Come to CA and check it out for yourself ;)
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Brewed coffee at home this morning both to enjoy at the kitchen table and to take to work with me.
Drove the company vehicle to work.
Wife made lasagne this past weekend and I am enjoying it for lunch today.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

After getting away from making my own pasta sauce (marinara) for a while, I bought canning (mason) jars and a couple of tools to can. Today I made my own sauce using a huge can (3000 grams) of Italian whole tomatoes from Costco along with other cheap ingredients (olive oil, oregano, garlic, onion). Then I preserved them by boiling the jars to seal them. Previously when I made pasta sauce I would freeze it. That takes a lot of space in the freezer and I would run out of storage containers. I went small on the first batch (7 jars) to make sure it turned out okay. The sauce, IMO, tastes better than any store bought sauce. The cost runs around $2 per jar using premium ingredients. I think using good tomatoes is worth it.

What somewhat prompted this was I keep reading how Rao's and Victoria jarred pasta sauces are the best. They generally cost $7-$10. I've tried Rao's and thought it was good, but not great.

Most cheap store bought sauces are way too sweet. I recently bought a jar of Kroger branded sauce on sale for $1 and it was inedible.

Though this was not super time consuming (maybe 1.25 hours total), next time I would do a bigger batch and make maybe 24 jars. I also think the jars would be a much appreciated gift.

This is the first time I've ever canned anything, so I haven't tried the final product. I imagine it didn't change much from what I tasted before doing the canning process, but I'll update this if it does.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I got a senior lemonade at Chick Fil-A.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
ProsperGoalzz

Post by ProsperGoalzz »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:11 am
Also in CA... What a rip! A Grocery Outlet opened in our neighborhood and though they don't have everything I want, they have much, and I think a cauliflower goes for @ $2.99!
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

My wife and I have a nice dinner every Friday night. Usually nothing too fancy, but we always splurge a tiny bit. Today, however, we will go to a simple soup and noodle restaurant instead. Much cheaper and still very delicious.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I didn’t buy a Tesla again today :)
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Nicolas wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:49 pm I didn’t buy a Tesla again today :)

Terrific!

So... how many Teslas is that you haven't bought by now?
That must add up to a huge fortune! :moneybag

:D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

I was a local grocery store that I usually shop for meats. I grabbed a couple produce items and notices cauliflower for $3.99, so I grabbed a nice big one. I nearly choked when it was weighed and rang up at over $11 !!!!! It was $3.99/lb not each. :oops: I told cashier to remove it and didn't buy. I have since noticed that most other local groceries either don't have cauliflower or it's price per pound in +$3. Must be a bad crop this year of something else...... :confused
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
Wannaretireearly

AllMostThere wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:25 pm
I was a local grocery store that I usually shop for meats. I grabbed a couple produce items and notices cauliflower for $3.99, so I grabbed a nice big one. I nearly choked when it was weighed and rang up at over $11 !!!!! It was $3.99/lb not each. :oops: I told cashier to remove it and didn't buy. I have since noticed that most other local groceries either don't have cauliflower or it's price per pound in +$3. Must be a bad crop this year of something else...... :confused
Oh man. I’m sorry. Prices in CA for groceries and food in general are completely out of hand.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:39 pm
Oh man. I’m sorry. Prices in CA for groceries and food in general are completely out of hand.
Has nothing to do with CA. Cauliflower is out of season right now. There are plenty of other things that are in season and cheaper.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Buy it frozen. I think it's $2.88 for a 2lbs. bag of cauliflower florets (so no leaves or stalks) at my local Winco.
Wannaretireearly

quantAndHold wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:13 pm
Has nothing to do with CA. Cauliflower is out of season right now. There are plenty of other things that are in season and cheaper.
i stand corrected! But, how do you explain the great volume of very healthy looking cauliflowers, if they are out of season?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:15 pm

i stand corrected! But, how do you explain the great volume of very healthy looking cauliflowers, if they are out of season?
They are shipped in from a long way away, where they’re in season, which increases the cost. The frugal thing is to buy what’s in season.
Wannaretireearly

quantAndHold wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:20 pm
They are shipped in from a long way away, where they’re in season, which increases the cost. The frugal thing is to buy what’s in season.
Gotcha. Makes sense! Thx
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:20 pm
It’s also the tastier option to buy something that’s in season nearby. Otherwise, you usually get fruit and vegetables that have been “engineered” to ship well, gets picked well before it’s ripe, etc. It is out of forum scope to speculate whether it’s healthier.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Wow!
+1

It actually wasn't hard.

I've regretted the time I have NOT watched recent TV series and have been catching up. They are nothing like the TV shows of yore. They give insight into different cultures and many times re-kindle one's faith in humanity seeing the kindness of some of the characters.

Movies, on the other hand, I can live without. Same with TV sports. And increasingly with TV news. Instead of the latter, I've found identifying the various experts in a certain field (for me, legal experts, for others, perhaps other types of experts) and following them on Twitter, substack and podcasts. That gives quality information without all the idiocy, theater and crazy stuff done just for ratings.
barberakb

Post by barberakb »

Brought lunch to work
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

My cat would go through phases where she would try to eat her dry food, but turn away, or even heave. But she was still begging for food. Finally I realized that her dry food must be going rancid, so now I freeze the bulk of it and feed her from a small baggie in the refrigerator. Who knew that dry cat food goes rancid?

It's even more relevant when one goes to the store, as I did today, and the only bag available is 7 lbs.!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Ivygirl wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:41 pm My cat would go through phases where she would try to eat her dry food, but turn away, or even heave. But she was still begging for food. Finally I realized that her dry food must be going rancid, so now I freeze the bulk of it and feed her from a small baggie in the refrigerator. Who knew that dry cat food goes rancid?

It's even more relevant when one goes to the store, as I did today, and the only bag available is 7 lbs.!

Ah, I had a cat that tryied that ploy.
At a certain point, she'd eat a bit, come over to me, and throw up on my shoe. Always on my shoe.
(I was wearing the shoes on every occasion.)

So I figure, *obviously*, that the food was bad, or she had become allergic,
And I gave her some nice canned food.

After that, everytime she got dried food.... yup, she'd come over and throw up on my shoe.

So we had a stand-off.
She was restricted to the one room, with her food on the floor and my shoes (and feet) nowhere to be found.
And she stayed there untiil she ate. It took a few days, and that was over.

They are clever little critters!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:46 pm
Ivygirl wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:41 pm My cat would go through phases where she would try to eat her dry food, but turn away, or even heave. But she was still begging for food. Finally I realized that her dry food must be going rancid, so now I freeze the bulk of it and feed her from a small baggie in the refrigerator. Who knew that dry cat food goes rancid?

Ah, I had a cat that tryied that ploy.
At a certain point, she'd eat a bit, come over to me, and throw up on my shoe. Always on my shoe.
(I was wearing the shoes on every occasion.)

So I figure, *obviously*, that the food was bad, or she had become allergic,
And I gave her some nice canned food.

After that, everytime she got dried food.... yup, she'd come over and throw up on my shoe.

So we had a stand-off.
She was restricted to the one room, with her food on the floor and my shoes (and feet) nowhere to be found.
And she stayed there untiil she ate. It took a few days, and that was over.

They are clever little critters!

RM
My cat is not a dramatic mastermind though, she is a humble and undemanding ex-stray, so I decided to believe her. She eats the refrigerated dry food now with no problem. Dry cat food evidently does go rancid.
A440

Post by A440 »

Bought a can of no-rinse Evap coil cleaner and sprayed the evap coil in my attic air handler. It had never been cleaned in 26 years. No more bad smells. While I was there I treated the condensate drain line as well and the pan.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

stoptothink wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:24 pm
Buy it frozen. I think it's $2.88 for a 2lbs. bag of cauliflower florets (so no leaves or stalks) at my local Winco.
Or at Trader Joe's, where they do not sell produce by weight. It makes some things (like green beans and brussel sprouts) more expensive and others (like cauliflower and onion) less expensive. You have to check and pick well, though.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Found a sweatshirt today at Costco for $2.97!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I saw a $17.99 banana bread loaf today at a high end gourmet shop. I just laughed and took the smaller $8 loaf.
Duckinator

Post by Duckinator »

I did a valve clearance job on the Brigg & Stratton engine in my 20+ year old Craftsman riding mower. Starts a lot easier now that the compression release is timed correctly.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:26 pm I saw a $17.99 banana bread loaf today at a high end gourmet shop. I just laughed and took the smaller $8 loaf.
This is an interesting thread. I'm not sure how buying an $8 loaf of bread (or cake) is "frugal", but the term is subjective.
Wannaretireearly

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:26 pm I saw a $17.99 banana bread loaf today at a high end gourmet shop. I just laughed and took the smaller $8 loaf.
cost per ounce cheaper on larger loaf? if so, not sure this is frugal given freezer capacity ;)
Cubs Fan

Post by Cubs Fan »

I re-glued the magnet on my shower door. The door now closes properly, and I saved the cost of a shower door replacement.
wait until next year!
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Scarfed down leftovers from last nights dinner for lunch today.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Canceled Strava Premium before the 25% rate increase kicked in.

Cancelled Amazon Prime as well.
fleetwdl

Post by fleetwdl »

I did not drive up to Georgia and write a check for that numbers matching 1969 Corvette big block that I have wanted for about 20 years now.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Changing our Medicare Plan G today from Aetna to Chubb plan, saving $50 a month if underwriters approve me (hubby sailed through).
Returned dog disposable diapers purchased on vacation when we thought dog was in heat, at Walmart. Did not buy anything at store.
Returned a $10.99 fruit tray to Kroger, it was terrible.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Skipped the Home Depot hot dog because we have better hot dogs at home.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Got into the mid nineties today. My wife, ac controller, brought out two fans. She refuses to see the suffering I go through in heat. Oh the pain. But in the winter when SHE’S cold, the heat goes on. Well this may save a few pennies ,but I’m going to have a new hvac system installed this summer! That’ll cost thousands. Heh, heh,heh! 8-)
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

AlohaBill wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:08 am Got into the mid nineties today. My wife, ac controller, brought out two fans. She refuses to see the suffering I go through in heat. Oh the pain. But in the winter when SHE’S cold, the heat goes on. Well this may save a few pennies ,but I’m going to have a new hvac system installed this summer! That’ll cost thousands. Heh, heh,heh! 8-)
We had a new HVAC system installed 3 years ago and DW almost refuses to allow it to be run inside the house until internal temps are hitting 80.

Of course, that just means the AC has to work harder and for longer to bring the temp down....
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Removed 10 years of dust from inside my PC using an IT equipment blower ordered for this purpose.
My PC booted up afterwards!

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

WoostaGal wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:33 pm Removed 10 years of dust from inside my PC using an IT equipment blower ordered for this purpose.

You mean those cans of compressed air?
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

watchnerd wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:55 pm
WoostaGal wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:33 pm Removed 10 years of dust from inside my PC using an IT equipment blower ordered for this purpose.

They have battery/electric versions. Like mini leaf blowers.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

ProsperGoalzz wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:44 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:11 am
Also in CA... What a rip! A Grocery Outlet opened in our neighborhood and though they don't have everything I want, they have much, and I think a cauliflower goes for @ $2.99!
Cauliflower were on sale for 99 cents/lb several places here this week. I am in the Midwest. I think the one I bought was around 2.2 lbs.

I buy what is on sale for veggies...which may or may not necessarily be what is in season. Demand can change, there may be multiple seasons (different countries), etc. I rarely have to have any particular vegetable at any particular time. There are some veggies we like more than others, but none we must have all the time. We like asparagus, but when it is $3.99 or more a pound I skip it. It is $.99-$1.99 a few times a year here. The variation in prices for the same veggie just in this location based on store, sales and season can be 5x.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I waited until I got to the airport to buy lunch so I could expense it instead of eating food I had at home.
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

watchnerd wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:55 pm

I used this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXF1GXQ8?ps ... ct_details
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

I brushed my dogs teeth today. I do it every day. It keeps his breath from smelling like a 14 day old corpse and keeps his dental vet bills to a minimum. Plus, I like to torture him a little bit at the beginning of every day so the rest of the day seems better to him than it really is. :wink: