What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AnnetteLouisan

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Monsterflockster wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:13 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:17 pm Made my own black coffee and a very good and spicy no-mayo egg salad sandwich with pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, hummus and avocado oil on hardcore whole kernel bread w cucumber. Making your own food is not that difficult after all.
Yeah… but those ingredients add up to one unfrugal sandwich. :beer
Today it was a ripe avocado mashed with La Tourangelle avocado oil, chick peas, one minced clove of garlic, freshly ground black pepper, basil and adobo on a dense multigrain bread. Living the high life lately. Really delicious!

It’s frugal compared to the $14 sandwiches around here!
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Home cooking from raw vegetables and meat Eat healthy and save money.
Japanfan1986

Post by Japanfan1986 »

I ate lunch at work today with the free food supplied by my employer.

Actually, I do this almost everyday.

I work in a group home setting and our company encourages us to cook and eat with the clients we serve. I don’t know why everyone I work with doesn’t do this.

I think it’s an exaggeration saying that getting Dunkin Donuts coffee or something regularly is putting people in the poor house. But it is true that every little bit helps. I never get Dunkin Donuts coffee. Sure enough though there are plenty of co-workers who hide in the corner and eat whatever fast food mess they bought that day.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Japanfan1986 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:39 pm I ate lunch at work today with the free food supplied by my employer.

Actually, I do this almost everyday.

I work in a group home setting and our company encourages us to cook and eat with the clients we serve. I don’t know why everyone I work with doesn’t do this.
That's really good of you too. I don't know what kind of group home it is, but my father was in a nursing home in his end days. They prepared good food. If he had guests at mealtime they would also prepare a plate for each guest. Nothing to hide. A good environment that builds trust.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
ContingencyPlanning5

Post by ContingencyPlanning5 »

We’re exchanging hand-written love letters instead of store-bought Valentine’s. Happy to not throw $10-14 at the greeting card industry and truly believe our letters will be more meaningful over time. A little double compounding going on 8-)
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

ContingencyPlanning5 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:02 am We’re exchanging hand-written love letters instead of store-bought Valentine’s. Happy to not throw $10-14 at the greeting card industry and truly believe our letters will be more meaningful over time. A little double compounding going on 8-)
Welcome.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
ContingencyPlanning5

Oh sheesh…I enjoy this thread and just jumped in. Was I supposed to introduce myself first someplace? Fairly new to BH but starting to spend a lot of time here learning. Let me know if there’s a protocol
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

ContingencyPlanning5 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:51 pm Oh sheesh…I enjoy this thread and just jumped in. Was I supposed to introduce myself first someplace? Fairly new to BH but starting to spend a lot of time here learning. Let me know if there’s a protocol
Did you do anything frugal today? Inquiring minds want to know!

Today I bought a sack of onions at the "99 Cents Only" store for $1.00!
I appear to have been ripped off for a penny. On the other hand, it was still a good deal.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
hiltoncreek

Post by hiltoncreek »

Chopped firewood from free dry rounds that the electric utility dropped off. (they've been clearing hazard trees from the neighborhood)
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

cooking healthy food at home from scratch.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

ContingencyPlanning5 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:51 pm Oh sheesh…I enjoy this thread and just jumped in. Was I supposed to introduce myself first someplace? Fairly new to BH but starting to spend a lot of time here learning. Let me know if there’s a protocol
Nope. You're good.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Walked 3 miles to AT&T office to drop the phone bill without postage .
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Ed 2 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:20 am Walked 3 miles to AT&T office to drop the phone bill without postage .
It might be even more frugal to skip the walk and drop AT&T.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:34 am
Ed 2 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:20 am Walked 3 miles to AT&T office to drop the phone bill without postage .
It might be even more frugal to skip the walk and drop AT&T.

Lots of forum topics discussing the merits of different phone plans. Followed them with interest.

Disclosure. Switched from AT&T ($40 prepaid, 15GB/mo at 25MB 4G download speed) to Visible for unlimited talk/text/data ($25 prepaid, single device hotspot throttled to 5MB download speed, easy to join party plan, PM if interested).

AT&T worked well and local office folks were most helpful in setting up my first-every mobile phone and holding my hand while I learned to use it.

But after a >year of learning/managing AT&T data plan (could still access forum, email, tax return s/w, map directions when data throttled to .1MB/sec after monthly HS data expended---3x faster than my replaced dialup connection) for mobile and home PC hotspot access... went looking for plan with more HS data. Visible answered my low-budget need (hotspot good enough for single 1080p YT instructional video/movie). More capability. Less money. Why not. So far, so good.
itispossible

Post by itispossible »

Brewed coffee at home instead of stopping at Starbucks.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I did not pay someone to clean my garbage can today. I did not buy a Rolex or a sports car. I did breath some fresh air and enjoyed the sunshine on a brisk afternoon walk and then helped move a portable chicken pen.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

DW and I are going to Las Vegas on Allegiant Airlines $33/pp offer.
hmw

Post by hmw »

I replaced my broken kitchen waste disposal myself instead of paying someone to do it.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Had some water damage to the walls, including the studs and furring strips, in our home office. (Caused by a waterline leak. It was a pinhole leak that we didn't detect right away.) I'm doing the wall repairs myself instead of paying somebody. However, I did pay a plumber to fix the waterline.
Last edited by OpenMinded1 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

DW no longer buys me "red eyes" at Starbucks since she bought me a nice Nespresso machine for our 50th anniversary.

For about $1 I can amp up my Kirkland's Sumatra whole bean coffee.

Could spend even less if I brought out my old Saeco Automatic, but it was a PITA DW didn't want to fool with. She is happy with her Keurig machine.

The Nespresso machine coffee is much better than Keurig coffee, more expensive though. DDs and DW bought me scads of Nespresso coffee for Christmas. Should last until my birthday in July.

About making sandwiches on vacation: When a kid we used to stop at rest stops that had picnic tables and mom would make us sandwiches for lunch. There was always some grocery store where one could buy a loaf of bread, some bologna or ham, milk or cokes, and those tiny jars of mayo and mustard. Now the travel roads are littered with fast food, unlike back when I was growing up.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I saved $375/year by discovering I could get a free Financial Times subscription through my alma mater. They have excellent European coverage, especially relevant with the current crisis. :beer
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

itispossible wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:19 pm Brewed coffee at home instead of stopping at Starbucks.
We brewed 1/2 pot more, using same grounds as the first pot. It was great. WINNING!!!!!
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

itispossible wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:19 pm Brewed coffee at home instead of stopping at Starbucks.
I'm seeing a lot of people posting that not going to Starbucks is frugal. That's not really frugal, that's just default behavior. Frugal would be going to the diner and getting the left over coffee that they were going to throw out, for free.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Installed a 1/4 inch inline valve behind refrigerator so that upcoming appliance delivery will be smooth. Took this change to replace the 80's T-valve(multiple control ones, not sure what they are called in plumbing terms) with a new, single ball valve(3/4 to multiple outlet) to control cold water to the sink, water, refrigerator lines as a master controller.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:13 pm I saved $375/year by discovering I could get a free Financial Times subscription through my alma mater. They have excellent European coverage, especially relevant with the current crisis. :beer
I clearly went to the wrong school. I love the FT. How did you find out about the offer?
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

skipped out on my favorite Dutch Bros Rebel drink and picked up a soda from the gas station. Also went whopper jr instead of whopper at BK for late lunch
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

manatee2005 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:40 pm
I'm seeing a lot of people posting that not going to Starbucks is frugal. That's not really frugal, that's just default behavior. Frugal would be going to the diner and getting the left over coffee that they were going to throw out, for free.
I walked by Dutch Bros. today on my way to return our library books; based on the lines, it seems I was the only person in the neighborhood who was walking and wasn't in their drive-thru. To be fair, I've never been to Dutch Bros. (or Starbucks...actually I've never tasted coffee even though I worked at a cafe in high school).
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:51 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:13 pm I saved $375/year by discovering I could get a free Financial Times subscription through my alma mater. They have excellent European coverage, especially relevant with the current crisis. :beer
I clearly went to the wrong school. I love the FT. How did you find out about the offer?
By chance. I was on the FT website today reading the headlines about the Russia invasion, etc., and checking to see the prices for an online subscription and I saw it gives you an option to check to see if your alma mater has an existing subscription. You must verify your university affiliation before it allows you to sign up. The WSJ covers most financial news of course but, right now, the FT has a lot of good coverage on the crisis since they're based in London (and has staff in many cities including Moscow).

It was lucky because the FT has a very strict firewall, e.g. no 10 free articles/month. I think the NYT allows you to read a certain # of free articles, for example. I wish the major online outlets would allow at least a small # of free articles. Wishful thinking.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:25 pm
By chance. I was on the FT website today reading the headlines about the Russia invasion, etc., and checking to see the prices for an online subscription and I saw it gives you an option to check to see if your alma mater has an existing subscription. You must verify your university affiliation before it allows you to sign up. The WSJ covers most financial news of course but, right now, the FT has a lot of good coverage on the crisis since they're based in London (and has staff in many cities including Moscow).

It was lucky because the FT has a very strict firewall, e.g. no 10 free articles/month. I think the NYT allows you to read a certain # of free articles, for example. I wish the major online outlets would allow at least a small # of free articles. Wishful thinking.
MSN.com routinely publishes NYT and WSJ articles for free access, so that’s an option.
fup

Post by fup »

Took hinges off door to save expense of replacement due to wear and tear
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:30 pm

MSN.com routinely publishes NYT and WSJ articles for free access, so that’s an option.
Thanks. Yes, that's been posted on BH before. I have subscriptions to those 2. But yes, often the stories will get picked up elsewhere. Bloomberg also has many good articles.
Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy »

Called 3 places for new auto insurance quote
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

fup wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:40 pm Took hinges off door to save expense of replacement due to wear and tear
Again? The savings must be incredible!

My garage door would neither open nor close completely. Very frustrating! I lubed the hinges on the door, but it turned out there had been a power failure. I actually needed to unhook the carriage from the screw track on my garage door opener, manually open the door, then cycle the door mechanism, then reconnect the carriage and cycle the door a couple of more times to get it back to normal. No dollar cost, but unfrugal in time.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

fup wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:40 pm Took hinges off door to save expense of replacement due to wear and tear
So many questions... :confused
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:00 pm
I walked by Dutch Bros. today on my way to return our library books; based on the lines, it seems I was the only person in the neighborhood who was walking and wasn't in their drive-thru. To be fair, I've never been to Dutch Bros. (or Starbucks...actually I've never tasted coffee even though I worked at a cafe in high school).
I saw people in college acting like zombies until they get their coffee and I said I don’t want to be hooked on coffee. I might have had it once or twice when it was free, but never really got into it.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:40 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:30 pm

Thanks. Yes, that's been posted on BH before. I have subscriptions to those 2. But yes, often the stories will get picked up elsewhere. Bloomberg also has many good articles.
Reuters has excellent international coverage, and the app is free.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

hmw wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:20 pm I replaced my broken kitchen waste disposal myself instead of paying someone to do it.
Let me guess… watched a YouTube video?
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

There are two Starbucks within a mile of my home, and they are always crowded.

Back when I had a big garden, I would go to Starbucks and get free trash bags of used coffee grounds to use as mulch. And I wouldn't buy a coffee while I was there. I think that counts as double-frugal.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

manatee2005 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:16 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:00 pm
I saw people in college acting like zombies until they get their coffee and I said I don’t want to be hooked on coffee. I might have had it once or twice when it was free, but never really got into it.
Not proud to admit that I do imbibe in caffeine most week day mornings, it's getting harder to wake up at 4:45am to get the entire family to the gym before work and school. But, it comes via half a 100mg tablet. Since this a frugal bragging thread, I could probably get 2+ months of my caffeine fix for the cost of one cup of regular coffee at Starbucks or Dutch Bros.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

LilyFleur wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:18 am

Back when I had a big garden, I would go to Starbucks and get free trash bags of used coffee grounds to use as mulch. And I wouldn't buy a coffee while I was there. I think that counts as double-frugal.
Do you do anything to the coffee grounds or use them directly? I run them through my composter, but if there’s no benefit, it would be much less hassle to dump them in the yard.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ContingencyPlanning5

Marjimmy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:30 pm Called 3 places for new auto insurance quote
Thanks for this reminder. Just added to my inbox.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:46 am
LilyFleur wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:18 am

Do you do anything to the coffee grounds or use them directly? I run them through my composter, but if there’s no benefit, it would be much less hassle to dump them in the yard.
I did not have a composter, so I just dumped them on the ground. My plants were beautiful, both before using the coffee grounds, and after. It made the soil look wonderfully rich, though.

(I also would buy fishing worms at Walmart, dig a hole in my garden, and dump kitchen compost and worms in the hole. Now, THAT made incredible soil as well.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ There's no need to buy worms. If you know where to look, worms are usually hiding under damp leaves. Google "how to find worms". The video search results might be disturbing if you don't like looking at worms.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Last year I switched my trash pickup to Will Call.
As a solo, I don't produce that much garbage. Certainly not enough for weekly pick up, and with my travel plans picking back up, sometimes less than once a month.
When I switched, they gave me a larger wheeled bin (I had been on a plan with the smaller bin) and now I am only billed the trash charge in the months when I request service. There is still a monthly charge that covers recycling and yard debris (and just being in the computer), but I figure I will be saving >$100 a year.
This week I had my first pick up since mid December. Probably won't be able to go that long in the summer :wink: . I keep food waste in the freezer, and my freezer isn't THAT big.

And before anyone asks, my county doesn't yet support food waste recycling, although they've been telling me for years that it is being considered.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

My natural gas furnace would startup but wouldn't continue to run.

So after checking a bunch of other things electrical with a multi-meter I finally did what I should have done first:

Remove & clean carbon buildup off the flame sensor with steel wool, rinsing with rubbing alcohol & letting it air-dry before replacement.

Once that was done no more problems...given it was installed in 2009 I guess I'll have plan to do that again in another decade or so.
hmw

Post by hmw »

Monsterflockster wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:11 am
hmw wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:20 pm I replaced my broken kitchen waste disposal myself instead of paying someone to do it.
Let me guess… watched a YouTube video?
Yup. I did this job about 6 years ago. Needed a refresher. :happy
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

14-15 hour workday so no time to spend money :( Did get some Kindle books on monthly sale this morning for $1.99. But didn't get to go out for lottery
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Set a new personal savings record for Costco gas vs my local station of 96 cents per gallon. $4.93 vs $5.89.
Opinika

Post by Opinika »

I consider this a twofer.

Scored some discounted zucchini from the manager's special rack in the produce department. Meanwhile, on the dented can shelf got two cans of DelMonte stewed tomatoes for 50 cents/can.

Will do a ratatouille sort of thing.