What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Pete12

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Pete12 »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:03 am Neighbor threw out a round metal trough. It has a leak. I nailed it to a post and wrapped hose around it. I took a piece of board and pushed it down to make a shelf. Cost was two nails; the board was scrap. I have to be sure the yard isn't too junky. I use my old mailbox to keep hand tools in; that is nailed to the other side of the post.
As Jeff Foxworthy would say, "You might be a redneck!" :D
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

praxis wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:54 am Today during my haircut, my barber bragged about how many fish he caught over the weekend. I've never done it before, but I said: "someday if you feel generous, we would love a fish". He cuts my wife's hair too and she loves the speckled trout he always goes for. He said, "Sure, I've got a break after your cut and I live across the street. Pass by on your way out and I'll give you some fillets". So tonight (and tomorrow night) we will enjoy trout almandine for dinner.
Living by a hunter or fisherman you are friendly with is great. I trade homemade wine for deer and salmon.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

mushripu wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:43 am I have been trying to get a small door repair done since last year. The exterior door jambs are rotted at the bottom and need to cut out the rotted part, fashion a wood piece and fit there. Every single vendor I called wants to replace the whole door and wants to sell me a 20 k door.
I am willing to pay good money for carpenter but cannot get anyone. I am gonna buy tools and do it myself.
Good on you. I finally fixed my sticking door the other day. The only cost was a couple hours of mild frustration :happy
young danny

Post by young danny »

Start taking the 5-10 minute longer way home in the evening at least two of the four days I go into the office per week. This saves four to five dollars each time as I don’t need to pay tolls. This longer way home means at least ten more traffic lights, but, it means I can a longer call with a buddy, family member or listen to a bit longer of another podcast.
jnw

Post by jnw »

Bought two Emeco Navy 1006 100% brushed aluminum chairs for $50 a piece yesterday -- retail for $720. We got them for the dining room. They are indestructible and I can probably get $100 each for them after 20 years of use. They've already had 20 years of use and feel as good as new -- look it too.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

JenniferW wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:26 pm Bought two Emeco Navy 1006 100% brushed aluminum chairs for $50 a piece yesterday -- retail for $720. We got them for the dining room. They are indestructible and I can probably get $100 each for them after 20 years of use. They've already had 20 years of use and feel as good as new -- look it too.

Gorgeous!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Cleaning out the freezer as I do twice a year; frozen bananas (they scoop out like custard when defrosted) and plain greek yogurt for dessert.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Took the boots to get re-heeled instead of buying new footwear. $30.
LaurenRose

Post by LaurenRose »

A few things..

I am moving in a few months to a lower cost of living city. I just found a beautiful apartment in a suburb of that city. The suburb just lost its largest employer, so economics of the town are changing - which allowed me to negotiate a great rent price on the apartment.

I just found out about Temu, which is similar to Amazon but with greatly reduced prices for categories of things I typically buy....my spend in that category will greatly reduce.

I am currently visiting a city outside the US where my USD are going farther. I just purchased a ticket through Ticketmaster for the symphony.\
Price? $7.56 USD
acpjdc

Post by acpjdc »

On vacation at a lovely little condo with beautiful beach views at off-season pricing. Have spent the last few days binge reading 6 years of posts on this feed. Learned a few things and enjoyed some interesting threads. Spent entire day lounging beach-side with nice long beach walk to break up the day. Walked to the grocery in the a.m. and picked up some steel cut oats, fresh blueberries and almond milk for an epic and healthy dinner tonight. Made cocktails here from stuff we brought with us while listening to waves crash on the ocean. Reading book from library tonight instead of hitting the Boardwalk. Far prefer the good book to the Boardwalk regardless of price.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

acpjdc wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:56 pm On vacation at a lovely little condo with beautiful beach views at off-season pricing. Have spent the last few days binge reading 6 years of posts on this feed. Learned a few things and enjoyed some interesting threads. Spent entire day lounging beach-side with nice long beach walk to break up the day. Walked to the grocery in the a.m. and picked up some steel cut oats, fresh blueberries and almond milk for an epic and healthy dinner tonight. Made cocktails here from stuff we brought with us while listening to waves crash on the ocean. Reading book from library tonight instead of hitting the Boardwalk. Far prefer the good book to the Boardwalk regardless of price.
The forum can be addictive ...much to learn. And you can get tailored advice by simply asking. Plus you sometimes get to help another.

Welcome.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

acpjdc wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:56 pm On vacation at a lovely little condo with beautiful beach views at off-season pricing. Have spent the last few days binge reading 6 years of posts on this feed. Learned a few things and enjoyed some interesting threads. Spent entire day lounging beach-side with nice long beach walk to break up the day. Walked to the grocery in the a.m. and picked up some steel cut oats, fresh blueberries and almond milk for an epic and healthy dinner tonight. Made cocktails here from stuff we brought with us while listening to waves crash on the ocean. Reading book from library tonight instead of hitting the Boardwalk. Far prefer the good book to the Boardwalk regardless of price.
Sounds like bliss. Enjoy. Which part of the world?
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
acpjdc

Post by acpjdc »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:35 am
Its been 3 weeks... Started in Savannah, moved on to South Carolina and am currently in North Carolina. Its been grand... and surprisingly inexpensive. Cheap airbnbs & reward hotel rooms in good locations plus some gas for the car. The groceries I would have bought anyway and entertainment expenses have been next to nothing since there is so much free outdoor fun to be had. Thanks for the welcome- I could tell from my reading that this thread was a good crew! :)
jnw

Post by jnw »

Made homemade Arnold Palmer iced tea for less than 50 cents per gallon.

Put 8 black tea bags (great value brand from Walmart at 2 cents per bag) into a 1/2 gallon mason jar. Fill with filtered water (from my DIY Berkey). Cap and let sit in fridge for 24 hours. Remove bags. Sweeten with homemade liquid stevia (from bulk supplements stevia extract powder). Add a few splashes of great value bottled lemon juice concentrate. Delish! Zero bitterness.
itispossible

Post by itispossible »

** deleted **
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

acpjdc wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:42 am
Wannaretireearly wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:35 am
Its been 3 weeks... Started in Savannah, moved on to South Carolina and am currently in North Carolina. Its been grand... and surprisingly inexpensive. Cheap airbnbs & reward hotel rooms in good locations plus some gas for the car. The groceries I would have bought anyway and entertainment expenses have been next to nothing since there is so much free outdoor fun to be had. Thanks for the welcome- I could tell from my reading that this thread was a good crew! :)
Brilliant!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
young danny

Post by young danny »

1) Mowed and edged the lawn

2) Left overs for lunch
sandan

Post by sandan »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:23 am
JenniferW wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:22 am Switched from Finish pods ($71 per year) to Dollar Tree dishwashing detergent powder ($23 per year). $48 per year savings (1/3 rd the cost). $48 invested with 6% avg return for 15 years is $1100. The savings from the detergent switch will more than pay for a fancy new dishwashing machine.
We switched from the Finish pods to a combination the cheap Kirkland pods and a little squirt of liquid detergent in the prewash tray, after watching the Technology Connections YouTube video where he cut the side off a dishwasher to see how it worked. His recommendation was a combination of using (any) cheap powder plus adding a little to the prewash tray, but Costco doesn’t sell loose powder, and we’re not going to make a special trip to a store we don’t usually go to just for dishwasher detergent. The Costco stuff appears to be cheap powder wrapped in dissolving wrappers, and works a lot better than the Finish pods did. For one thing, it actually dissolves. We had problems with the Finish dissolving.

I have better things to do than put $10 purchases in a spreadsheet, so I have no idea or interest in exactly how much we’re saving, but we rewash a lot fewer dishes, and the annoyance factor is way lower.

BTW, the TC guy concluded that the most important thing for clean dishes, more important than what detergent you use, is adding detergent to the prewash. Which the pods make hard to do, of course.
Those kirkland pods are working well for me too.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I went on a jog. Hopefully it does a bit in staving off future medical costs.
wm631

Post by wm631 »

Made an 8-cup pot of Maxwell House coffee - which was on special sale two weeks ago - in my three year old, almost daily used Mr. Coffee basic coffeemaker with a helpful switch toggle light. I believe I purchased THAT on-sale at Walmart for $17.00, plus tax. My long experience with every conceivable brand of brewmaster out there (and, my own taste requirements) says that combination works just fine for me in the morning.

Somewhere, about a block away, I hear my local Starbucks owner howling, and gnashing his teeth. :beer
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

wm631 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:29 am Made an 8-cup pot of Maxwell House coffee - which was on special sale two weeks ago - in my three year old, almost daily used Mr. Coffee basic coffeemaker with a helpful switch toggle light. I believe I purchased THAT on-sale at Walmart for $17.00, plus tax. My long experience with every conceivable brand of brewmaster out there (and, my own taste requirements) says that combination works just fine for me in the morning.

Somewhere, about a block away, I hear my local Starbucks owner howling, and gnashing his teeth. :beer
27 years ago, I did the math on the semi-fancy espresso machine we were considering at the time, and realized that for two people, the payback period for an espresso machine was 3-6 months. We’re on our 4th espresso machine now, long ago paid off, and what we make is as good or better than any of the local shops. It also takes less time to make than standing in line at the shop.
K72

Post by K72 »

Just finished DYI yard cleanup after a storm. Got a couple of bids I thought were outrageous, so took advantage of the 4x4x4 bags x2 the garbage company will drop off (every 6 months) and haul away for free. Good shoulder rehab after surgery a few months ago! Total cost to me was ~3 hours of labour. Double bonus was goodwill with neighbors - they filled up the extra room I had. :D
All we want are the facts...
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

LaurenRose wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 am A few things..

I am moving in a few months to a lower cost of living city. I just found a beautiful apartment in a suburb of that city. The suburb just lost its largest employer, so economics of the town are changing - which allowed me to negotiate a great rent price on the apartment.

I just found out about Temu, which is similar to Amazon but with greatly reduced prices for categories of things I typically buy....my spend in that category will greatly reduce.

I am currently visiting a city outside the US where my USD are going farther. I just purchased a ticket through Ticketmaster for the symphony.\
Price? $7.56 USD
I'm not sure doing business directly with a Chinese owned company is worth the risk. Might be for some.
https://time.com/6243738/temu-app-complaints/
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

My girlfriend now cuts my hair and is actually pretty good at it.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

yatesd wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:09 pm

Price? $7.56 USD
I'm not sure doing business directly with a Chinese owned company is worth the risk. Might be for some.
You mean companies like Volvo, GE Appliances, and Lenovo?
rene

Post by rene »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:42 am
wm631 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:29 am Made an 8-cup pot of Maxwell House coffee - which was on special sale two weeks ago - in my three year old, almost daily used Mr. Coffee basic coffeemaker with a helpful switch toggle light. I believe I purchased THAT on-sale at Walmart for $17.00, plus tax. My long experience with every conceivable brand of brewmaster out there (and, my own taste requirements) says that combination works just fine for me in the morning.

27 years ago, I did the math on the semi-fancy espresso machine we were considering at the time, and realized that for two people, the payback period for an espresso machine was 3-6 months. We’re on our 4th espresso machine now, long ago paid off, and what we make is as good or better than any of the local shops. It also takes less time to make than standing in line at the shop.
Jura-Capresso here 👍

Spending a few thousand on good coffee makers over a lifetime has been one of the easiest frugal things I’ve done in life 😀
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

CletusCaddy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:24 am

Price? $7.56 USD
Yep, I avoid them. Not aligned with my long-term interests.
runner540

Post by runner540 »

You mean all of us SBUX shareholders?? :sharebeer
jnw

Post by jnw »

Signed up for a credit card and was approved -- $500 spend for an easy $200 :)
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Applied for a $300 contact lens rebate, which does take a little patience.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:28 am Applied for a $300 contact lens rebate, which does take a little patience.
Good luck. Last time we did a contact lens rebate, we never received it. And yes, I'm OCD so I ensured all requirements were met.

Won't be doing that again. Legalized scams as far as I'm concerned.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

JimmyD wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:32 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:28 am Applied for a $300 contact lens rebate, which does take a little patience.
Good luck. Last time we did a contact lens rebate, we never received it. And yes, I'm OCD so I ensured all requirements were met.

Won't be doing that again. Legalized scams as far as I'm concerned.
Good to know, thank you. Which brand? I’ve done them before with Acuvue and always received them.
VonZiff

Post by VonZiff »

I stayed in the house, worked most of the day and had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch.
A440

Post by A440 »

Watched a YouTube video to fix a small appliance rather than replacing it.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

Didn’t go to Starbucks for my morning Americano.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

CletusCaddy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:24 am

Price? $7.56 USD
Do those companies sell through Temu?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

A440 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:50 am Watched a YouTube video to fix a small appliance rather than replacing it.

Great thinking!

Just watching a video is very frugal; no need even to buy any parts! :twisted:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
SockMonkey

Post by SockMonkey »

Put a few things in my shopping cart at an online store, but didn’t complete the transaction. Figured they might lower the price or send me a discount code. Sure enough, got an email with a 20% discount code to complete the purchase about 6 hours later. :happy
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

SockMonkey wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:15 am Put a few things in my shopping cart at an online store, but didn’t complete the transaction. Figured they might lower the price or send me a discount code. Sure enough, got an email with a 20% discount code to complete the purchase about 6 hours later. :happy
:idea: I didn't know this was a thing. Thanks!
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

I went to my local Starbucks, also about a block away, and picked up their free "Grounds for the garden." Their used coffee filter pods get buried deep in my garden where they attract worms. I also use them to fertilize blueberry bushes and other acid-loving plants. Early spring is the best time of the year for that.

The first time I got them, I buried them all in several holes placed in a row in our clay soil. Over the next year the worms went from one hole to the next, and turned the area into a ditch of rich soil. I then planted blueberry bushes the following year. Easiest planting I ever did.

They've been helping me fertilize those bushes for free for almost 2 decades. I'm up to 12 -- ran out of space in the first few years.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

For three years I have been collecting the straps from my discarded face masks. They are good for tying saplings to stakes and also for training bonsai. (Admittedly, not wiring, but those wires are expensive.) Nothing fancy on the latter, but ficus easily root, are easy to train and these make nice little gifts.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:59 am For three years I have been collecting the straps from my discarded face masks. They are good for tying saplings to stakes and also for training bonsai. (Admittedly, not wiring, but those wires are expensive.) Nothing fancy on the latter, but ficus easily root, are easy to train and these make nice little gifts.

Oh, good!

Another "collection of *things* to save just in case some day we need them........"

:annoyed

When we downize (whenever that actually happens), there are a lot of "little collections" that will finally go!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:05 am
Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:59 am For three years I have been collecting the straps from my discarded face masks. They are good for tying saplings to stakes and also for training bonsai. (Admittedly, not wiring, but those wires are expensive.) Nothing fancy on the latter, but ficus easily root, are easy to train and these make nice little gifts.

Oh, good!

Another "collection of *things* to save just in case some day we need them........"

:annoyed

When we downize (whenever that actually happens), there are a lot of "little collections" that will finally go!

RM
Oh, I knew I was going to need them; gardening is a passion...just like I collect brown paper bags and newspapers for weed suppression.
Indyrph

Re: DIY adult medicine-bottle cap.

Post by Indyrph »

dratkinson wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:45 pm Didn't save any money, just removed a small annoyance.

A childproof bottle cap is in two parts: outer and inner; I wanted to remove the inner part to use as an adult bottle cap.

DIY adult medicine-bottle cap.
--Stand original childproof bottle-cap on edge (tool: a vise helps; could also hold cap flat/bottom up (to see cut depth) over table edge).
--Cut slit into edge of outer cap, up to but not into, inner cap (tool: hacksaw or similar fine-toothed saw).
--Make similar second cut ~90°away to create small detachable edge.
--Break off detachable edge (tool: pliers help).
--Remove inner adult cap (tool: insert screwdriver between outer/inner parts and twist).
Place the outer cap on a solid straight edge(counter top) at an angle. Push with your other hand on the cap. The child proof cap will pop off. Just like opening beer bottle without an opener.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Ate at Costco, which was super unhealthy but cheap.
Last edited by rockstar on Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wwwdotcom

Post by Wwwdotcom »

rockstar wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:46 pm Are at Costco, which was super unhealthy but cheap.
The other week I saw a man walk around Costco solely for the freebies and walk out. Obviously he didnt need a cart, which was much appreciated.
expatish

Post by expatish »

Fixed the oven myself instead of spending $450 to have a repair person do it.

The oven stopped working last week. Did some quick research and realized the igniter was likely kaput. Yesterday I ordered a well-reviewed compatible model on Amazon ($24), and today I easily installed the new igniter with the help of a “Mundane Man” video on YouYube. The oven fired right up. Hubs, who didn’t want to DIY it, was impressed. I’m chuffed!!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

rockstar wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:46 pm Are at Costco, which was super unhealthy but cheap.
My lunch today was Costco pizza. Probably the least healthy thing I’ve eaten all week, but it cost $2.14 after tax.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:31 pm
rockstar wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:46 pm Ate at Costco, which was super unhealthy but cheap.
My lunch today was Costco pizza. Probably the least healthy thing I’ve eaten all week, but it cost $2.14 after tax.
Same. Pepperoni.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

expatish wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:29 pm Fixed the oven myself instead of spending $450 to have a repair person do it.

The oven stopped working last week. Did some quick research and realized the igniter was likely kaput. Yesterday I ordered a well-reviewed compatible model on Amazon ($24), and today I easily installed the new igniter with the help of a “Mundane Man” video on YouYube. The oven fired right up. Hubs, who didn’t want to DIY it, was impressed. I’m chuffed!!
I did the same. Out of curiosity, did you pull the oven out? I ask because the first video I watched merely cut the wires and spliced the new one in (using heat proof ceramic wire nuts) without pulling the oven out. Much easier. I did that. Unfortunately, several failed fairly quickly. When I pulled the oven out and wired it into the back of the oven, it worked long term.