What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
quantAndHold

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by quantAndHold »

rockstar wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:33 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:31 pm
rockstar wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:46 pm Ate at Costco, which was super unhealthy but cheap.
My lunch today was Costco pizza. Probably the least healthy thing I’ve eaten all week, but it cost $2.14 after tax.
Same. Pepperoni.
Exactly. Pepperoni. Although I think I get bonus points because it was a stop in between the doctors office and the gym.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:15 pm
expatish wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:29 pm Fixed the oven myself instead of spending $450 to have a repair person do it.

The oven stopped working last week. Did some quick research and realized the igniter was likely kaput. Yesterday I ordered a well-reviewed compatible model on Amazon ($24), and today I easily installed the new igniter with the help of a “Mundane Man” video on YouYube. The oven fired right up. Hubs, who didn’t want to DIY it, was impressed. I’m chuffed!!
I did the same. Out of curiosity, did you pull the oven out? I ask because the first video I watched merely cut the wires and spliced the new one in (using heat proof ceramic wire nuts) without pulling the oven out. Much easier. I did that. Unfortunately, several failed fairly quickly. When I pulled the oven out and wired it into the back of the oven, it worked long term.
I did the same (squared) - sort of....

The electric oven went into high temp cleaning mode (>500 degrees) and wouldn't shut off. Threw the breaker, pulled the oven out, and found that the circuit board for the oven control had a chip fried (we used to call it "letting the smoke out"). The controller board was $200 and the oven was old. The frugality in me contemplated replacing the chip but couldn't find it. So I removed (cut) the oven element feeds. Checked the stove top - working fine, the problem was isolated to the oven controller. Used the stove top and our large counter top air fryer for quite a while until we decided what we wanted, and waited to find it on sale, to arrive (was backordered) - it's an induction stove top with an air fryer/convection oven. So frugality bought me some time to buy what I wanted at the right price and there was nothing that we didn't normally cook that we couldn't cook (and healthier). Strangely, people are horrified if you don't have an oven.
young danny

Post by young danny »

Let someone pay for meals while they stayed with us at our house this week.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Replaced the spindle shaft on a 15 year old Magimix food processor (~$20) and the faulty timer/control on a 25 year old Dualit 4 slice toaster (~$60). I'd bought that toaster for $99 as a clearance item at Williams-Sonoma.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Got my son the $99 baseball bat instead of the $180 baseball bat for his birthday. Neither of us could tell a difference between them. He was thrilled, as was I, so a win-win.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Had to replace a 20 year old garage door opener; diy of course. Removed 6 parts from old opener before it hit the trash. So far 3 of 6 have netted $31 on eBay.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Had to replace a 20 year old garage door opener; diy of course. Removed 6 parts from old opener before it hit the trash.

So far 3 of 6 parts sold, netting $31 on eBay. Not just frugal but green.
Last edited by neilpilot on Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

Replaced a lower control arm and ball joint in my son's rusty college beater. It's my car now because he graduated and I gave him my car so he wouldn't start his work life with a junker. The entire control arm with the ball joint only cost $35 from Rock auto. It probably would have been a $500-$600 job to pay someone. Being retired means I can take my time and do these things because I don't need transportation to get to work the next day. It's nice not being rushed to get things fixed.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I paid my taxes with my 2% rewards credit card. The CC fee is 1.85% so I net 0.15%. But I get two months of float in my money market fund currently yielding 4.7%, and in the next two months the rate will likely increase a bit with the upcoming 1/4% (predicted) fed hike, that’s where I’ll make most of my savings.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Additional toothpaste. Someone above suggested we could get a little more use out of a toothpaste tube by cutting the bottom off (scissors) and sticking a toothbrush inside to scoop out the remains.

I'd been rolling the bottom of the tube up as I went---squeezes remaining toothpaste to top---and using an office binder clip to keep roll tight. Thought that was good enough. I was wrong.

Long story short. I'm now on day 3 of additional use, and the thick feel of remaining content suggests there's a few more days to go.

Lesson learned. It's difficult to open the bottom of a toothpaste tube. Why? Because it's been squeezed tight (binder clip) for months, and the remaining gooey content causes the sides to stick together---difficult to separate. What to do?

:idea: Idea. Unroll toothpaste tube, remove cap, use fingers to clamp bottom shut, and gently blow into tube.
--Air pressure reinflates toothpaste tube into a cylinder.
--Which makes it easy to insert toothbrush to scoop out remains.

Small victories.

Now, if there were only some easy way to get the last little bits out of a French's mustard squeeze bottle---too thick to easily cut open. (I much preferred the older-style glass container, as it was easy to use a long-handled iced-tea spoon to scoop out remains.)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
jnw

Post by jnw »

Big tubes of toothpaste are $1.25 and last months.. hrm. lol. Is it really worth the time? I just started couponing as a hobby a couple weeks back. I have like 12 tubes of toohpaste now which I got for free with coupons :) If you were my neighbor I'd give yo like 6 tubes for free. I'm going to have to donate these.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

baconavocado wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:02 pm
Alexa9 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:31 am
Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

:D
Frugal?!? You lost me at went to the gym.
Actually, I would count a gym membership as an excellent investment in your health, so I would consider it being frugal. Compare the cost of going to the gym to the cost of getting stents placed in your coronary arteries every five years and then having bypass surgery after the third stent.

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make: frugality is relative, it's all in the eye of the beholder. My wife used to read a blog by a woman who preached that you should wash out all your plastic bags and save those little wire things that hold the bread bag closed. Turns out this woman had SIX CHILDREN. After I heard that, I stopped washing out my plastic bags.
Home gym is much more frugal than a gym membership.

My barbell, squat rack, weight plates, dumbbells, kettlebells, gymnastic rings, and rowing machine are capital investments with no recurring costs.

And my training compliance is higher because it's so convenient.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

watchnerd wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:12 pm
baconavocado wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:02 pm
Alexa9 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:31 am
Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

:D
Frugal?!? You lost me at went to the gym.
Actually, I would count a gym membership as an excellent investment in your health, so I would consider it being frugal. Compare the cost of going to the gym to the cost of getting stents placed in your coronary arteries every five years and then having bypass surgery after the third stent.

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make: frugality is relative, it's all in the eye of the beholder. My wife used to read a blog by a woman who preached that you should wash out all your plastic bags and save those little wire things that hold the bread bag closed. Turns out this woman had SIX CHILDREN. After I heard that, I stopped washing out my plastic bags.
Home gym is much more frugal than a gym membership.

My barbell, squat rack, weight plates, dumbbells, kettlebells, gymnastic rings, and rowing machine are capital investments with no recurring costs.

And my training compliance is higher because it's so convenient.
In Boglehead fashion are you amortizing the cost of the space in your home, electricity, property taxes, etc? :shock:

A lot of people I know go to the gym for more than working out (get out of the house, socialize, etc.)

It's great that you use it, but I believe home workout equipment is one of the least used categories of things people buy. Different people are motivated by different things. Some are motivated by the convenience of a home gym (I had one for years). If you go to the gym, there's not a lot else to do if you get yourself there. At home, it is easy to just decide to turn on the tv, catch up on emails or whatever. I haven't seen any research on it, but I think some people try harder when being watched (or judged) by other people.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Replaced wired motion sensor light. Electrical installation/replacement - a first for me.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Checked out e-books from county library.

No need for Kindle.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Derpalator

Post by Derpalator »

jnw wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:55 pm Big tubes of toothpaste are $1.25 and last months.. hrm. lol. Is it really worth the time? I just started couponing as a hobby a couple weeks back. I have like 12 tubes of toohpaste now which I got for free with coupons :) If you were my neighbor I'd give yo like 6 tubes for free. I'm going to have to donate these.
Works the same for any tubed product. Woman's makeup, ceramic lubricant for brakes, sunscreen bought while on vacation at $$$ per tube, prescription cremes/ointments, doing so to all CAN save significant money. DW showed me the way.
jnw

Post by jnw »

Good point thanks :) I'll re-read your post and take note. I am just surrounded by tubes of toothpaste I accumulated the past couple weeks for free lol.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

punkinhead wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:52 am Replaced a lower control arm and ball joint in my son's rusty college beater. It's my car now because he graduated and I gave him my car so he wouldn't start his work life with a junker. The entire control arm with the ball joint only cost $35 from Rock auto. It probably would have been a $500-$600 job to pay someone. Being retired means I can take my time and do these things because I don't need transportation to get to work the next day. It's nice not being rushed to get things fixed.
I love RockAuto, but be sure to compare prices with Amazon before pulling the trigger. Little PITA thing with RA is that when ordering multiple items, they almost always have the parts coming from different shipping locations, thus increasing the overall shipping/price. Interesting that when one item ships from Location A and another from Location B and you try to find alternative product that ships from same location one of the items will change shipping locations (from A to B or B to A) thus preserving their multiple location shipping charge. I only initiate the order when I confirm "total" cost is less than Amazon pricing for same parts. Plus, Amazon has product reviews when RA does not. :moneybag
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

watchnerd wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:11 am Checked out e-books from county library.

No need for Kindle.
What do you check them out onto and read them on?

(I've never checked out an e-book and don't have a Kindle. I would like to check out e-books but don't want a Kindle if it can be done without one.)
I don't know anything.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Herekittykitty wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:59 pm
watchnerd wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:11 am Checked out e-books from county library.

No need for Kindle.
What do you check them out onto and read them on?

(I've never checked out an e-book and don't have a Kindle. I would like to check out e-books but don't want a Kindle if it can be done without one.)
I read library ebooks on my Kindle app on my iPad. You don’t need an actual Kindle, just the app. And you may not even need that, but that’s what I use, it’s great because there’s nothing to return, it just disappears and you’re never late — saves on gasoline (if you drive) and the fines.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Made my coffee at home in a $18 Mr. Coffee.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Mowed the grass with a Wal Mart economy push mower. I need the exercise, and at 73, I'm thankful I can still push a mower.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I downloaded two additional ride sharing apps that work in the country I am visiting. They have Uber but not Lyft. I don't check all three every time, but if Uber seems high (or a long wait time) I try another one.

I wonder if Uber knows you are checking another app. After doing so, I have gotten a notification that the Uber fare has dropped. It could just be a timing thing.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

We fed the two of us for two days on a $27 large pizza at the corner place. I shot a roll of 10 year expired film that cost me $5 (today's price: $16) in a $25 camera that cost the equivalent of $1300 when it was new in 1980. I'm going on a flight to see my Dad for a week and only taking what I can carry in an under-seat bag. Tomorrow me and my wife go to open house at her community college, where the American Opportunity Act tax credit will bring tuition down to $3000 or less per year. Started some cucumber plants, so savings at the grocery store. Not mowing the grass until May.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Daily, I use re-useable Keurig pods and fill them with top quality coffee. My all-in cost per 12 oz cup is maybe half of what a Keurig pod runs. And I'm using coffee roasted in Austrailia and shipped to the US....it is worth it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I quit Netflix.
BatBuckeye

Post by BatBuckeye »

RE: Library - Kindle

My local library uses HOOPLA.

I check out an e-book through HOOPLA. I use my laptop to access the e-book. A desk PC would work just the same.

How does it work? I found it to be intuitive and easy. It is an extra step to establish a HOOPLA account but not difficult. I assume your library staff would help you.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

BatBuckeye wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:48 pm RE: Library - Kindle

My local library uses HOOPLA.

I check out an e-book through HOOPLA. I use my laptop to access the e-book. A desk PC would work just the same.

How does it work? I found it to be intuitive and easy. It is an extra step to establish a HOOPLA account but not difficult. I assume your library staff would help you.
Our library uses the LIBBY app and the OVERDRIVE apps - can borrow (electronically) books, audio books, magazines, etc. Get the app, search for your library, if that doesn't work, call the library if you need help. You can read most things on a phone, laptop, tablet, pc or a real Kindle.

https://libbyapp.com/shelf

https://www.overdrive.com/explore
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:48 am I downloaded two additional ride sharing apps that work in the country I am visiting. They have Uber but not Lyft. I don't check all three every time, but if Uber seems high (or a long wait time) I try another one.

I wonder if Uber knows you are checking another app. After doing so, I have gotten a notification that the Uber fare has dropped. It could just be a timing thing.

I’d say they probably do know. A few years ago they got into trouble with their Greyball software. Something like they knew when Philadelphia city officials were monitoring or evaluating the app and Uber intentionally sent out wrong info so the officials didn’t know how many Ubers were on the streets. I found it fascinating that they could do that, and also kind of disgusted that they did that.

Greed is not good.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Being retired and since I like to cook, I make more homemade things. Most save money. Some are just better than store bought and some are just to have something to do. Things like bread, buns, pancetta, pasta and sausage. I try to be pragmatic and if there is no cost savings or they are not substantially better I don't bother. Most of these are only practical if doing so in bulk (freezing and/or vacuum sealing).
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Supergrover wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:42 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:48 am I downloaded two additional ride sharing apps that work in the country I am visiting. They have Uber but not Lyft. I don't check all three every time, but if Uber seems high (or a long wait time) I try another one.

I’d say they probably do know. A few years ago they got into trouble with their Greyball software. Something like they knew when Philadelphia city officials were monitoring or evaluating the app and Uber intentionally sent out wrong info so the officials didn’t know how many Ubers were on the streets. I found it fascinating that they could do that, and also kind of disgusted that they did that.

Greed is not good.
I don't know if you watched the tv series on Uber....where it went through all their shenanigans. Very interesting.

One thing I did find where I was, Didi (which I was using in Mexico but is Chinese), had a much higher driver cancellation rate. It was sometimes cheaper but not worth the aggravation. They don't seem to penalize the drivers for cancelling. In Portugal, a local told me about Bolt which seemed cheaper/better than Uber. Cabify works in Argentina and Mexico (I don't know where else). Some apps the drivers will ignore you if you are not paying cash. A lot of dynamics. A few places in Mexico I was taxis might be cheaper, but have no meters and you have to negotiate with the driver in advance. Probably not good if you aren't fluent in Spanish.

If a price is high in one app, I tend to open another and see what happens.

As a side note, Uber drivers don't see where you are going until after they pick you up. We took a 3 hour Uber in Mexico. The driver asked if we were going "downtown". Yes...but not downtown of the city we were in which was 15 minutes. 3 hours away! The fare for in Mexico was a lot, so the driver did it.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Got a $4 longsleeve shirt from Costco.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

A few days ago we had a Comcast outage. Then I saw on local reddit that Comcast reimburses those who contact their Customer Service. I did, and in a few minutes I received a $5 credit on my account.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I bought new tires for my utility trailer to replace its original 24 year old tires. It’s been garaged since I bought it, so no or little sun degradation. The tires’ tread was still good but their age worried me. This is frugal because I’m avoiding a catastrophic blowout on the freeway.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

Jeepergeo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:20 pm Daily, I use re-useable Keurig pods and fill them with top quality coffee. My all-in cost per 12 oz cup is maybe half of what a Keurig pod runs. And I'm using coffee roasted in Austrailia and shipped to the US....it is worth it.
I also use K-cup pods. Takes just a fee seconds to fill them with premium ground coffee and then brew. Also it's good for the environment to not contribute the real k-cups to landfill waste.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

jaqenhghar wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:09 am Got a $4 longsleeve shirt from Costco.
That beats my $5 purchase of a $20 Under Armour shirt at the Navy Exchange using a $15 coupon!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I bought thirty pounds of premium green coffee beans at an average price of $6.50/lb plus $7.50 for shipping, tax-free. I’ll home roast and drink it gradually over the next seven months. We consume a pound a week.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I was in the vicinity of an Amazon Fresh store so I went on my phone and looked at the weekly ad. It said 20% of $50+ purchase and free pork shoulder for $50 purchase. I was in. I carefully curated around a $60 purchase to make sure I met the limit.

When I checked out...I presented my 20% coupon, The cashier said I hadn't met the limit. The display showed $26. Okay. When I got in my car and looked at the receipt I wasn't charged for half the items!

So, I didn't get any of the discounts I was expecting but something went very wrong during checkout and I came out okay.

The Amazon Fresh stores have leave and not checkout (no cashier or ringing up needed). However, if you have coupon I haven't seen how to apply that and avoid the registers.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

I avoided the very top tequila in my ‘top shelf margarita’
Saved at least $5 ;)

Probably lost $10k in the market, so let’s call it a wash!!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

BruinBones wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:14 pm
Jeepergeo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:20 pm Daily, I use re-useable Keurig pods and fill them with top quality coffee. My all-in cost per 12 oz cup is maybe half of what a Keurig pod runs. And I'm using coffee roasted in Austrailia and shipped to the US....it is worth it.
I also use K-cup pods. Takes just a fee seconds to fill them with premium ground coffee and then brew. Also it's good for the environment to not contribute the real k-cups to landfill waste.
^^^°Yes! Thank you!! Plastic waste is an environmental disaster building on our planet. While it will be tough to eliminate plastics, we can help a lot by avoiding single use plastic products to significantly reduce the waste load. My reusable K- Cup pods have been used maybe a hundred times each or more and still look to have a long life ahead....and I fill them with great coffee!! Win, win.
Pops1860

Post by Pops1860 »

Please avoid introducing discussions that go beyond the thread topic (frugality).

Such discussions risk derailing the thread.

Moderator Pops1860
The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who do not have it. ~George Bernard Shaw
Wwwdotcom

Post by Wwwdotcom »

I filled up my tires with free nitrogen at Costco to make my low mile tires last a few days longer and get .001 mpg better milage.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Typically buy a giant pack of ziploc bags from Costco when they go on sale but it takes us years to use them all. Bought 1 normal sized box of freezer bags from Target instead. Surprisingly the $/bag favored Target but it was their generic brand.
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

I eliminated all TV & movies from my life. This means no more physical TV, no more cable TV service, no more streaming media services.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Finally, I took the five minutes to create a Pirateship account. I saved $3 on my first Priority Mail package.
Being wrong compounds forever.
young danny

Post by young danny »

Cut my own hair, a one all around. Baldness can be a benefit.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

normaldude wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:30 pm I eliminated all TV & movies from my life. This means no more physical TV, no more cable TV service, no more streaming media services.
Wow!
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

LilyFleur wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:38 pm
normaldude wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:30 pm I eliminated all TV & movies from my life. This means no more physical TV, no more cable TV service, no more streaming media services.
Wow!
+1
Username change may be in order :)

ETA: To clarify, nothing derogatory is implied. I admire your self-disclipline.
Scubadude

Post by Scubadude »

Rebid all auto and home insurance through independent broker. Typically rebid every two to three years.
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:48 pm
LilyFleur wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:38 pm
Wow!
+1
Username change may be in order :)

ETA: To clarify, nothing derogatory is implied. I admire your self-disclipline.
It actually wasn't hard.

I asked myself: "If I were on my deathbed right now, looking back on my life, what would I regret having wasted too much time on?"

I realized that I had wasted thousands of hours on TV sports, TV shows, movies, etc.

So I cut all that stuff out of my life.

I assure you that when I am actually on my deathbed, and I'm asked what I regret about my life, I will NOT say "I wish I watched more TV sports, TV shows, and movies".

We all have a limited amount of minutes on this planet.

So if you go through the above mental excercise, you might come to the same conclusion that I did.