What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sekmet

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Sekmet »

Took lunch to work, and made a delicious dinner at home.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Gooch1226 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:44 pm Ordered breaks and rotors from eBay .. for $199 and having my mechanic put them on for $150. Beats $900 from the dealer .
Here's hoping that those brakes don't break. :wink:
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:56 am
Nicolas wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 pm I was overcharged at the grocery store $1.67 so I went back and got a refund in cash but later I found they had shorted me a dime, so always check your receipts and your change.
Your avatar would have gone back in the store and hit someone with a cane. For those who aren’t familiar, here’s a trailer for the documentary Beware of Mister Baker

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... EiPk8D8D6p
Yeah, what a guy, and a fantastic drummer. Too bad he didn’t get along with Jack Bruce.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

I bought Target gift cards for my staff. Got 10% through Target Circle, and will get 5% cash back because I used a Discover Card to pay.
Minty

Post by Minty »

Well, I,too, bought Target gift cards with Discover.

But my real payday was, after buying a replacement anode rod for my 5-year-old Bradford-White water heater, and a pipe wrench and other accessories, I stopped pulling and yanking when it became clear that the old rod did not want to come out. I emailed the folks who put it in. A cheap lesson and adventure, and we still have hot water and a dry garage. I remain proud of fixing the belt on the dryer and the lid lock on the washer without having to call for service.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I replaced the ice maker on my fridge. It was $80 on Amazon for the part. I'd guess a service call would have been at least $300.

In the last couple of years I've replaced the ice maker twice and oven igniter twice. Though I am pretty handy, Youtube makes a lot of these repairs child's play.

I found now that when you have a service call for an appliance they typically have to come out twice because they never seem to have the right part with them.
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

Drove to the mountain bike trailhead that’s 15 minutes closer. Saved gas and got more exercise.

Bought K-cups for the office. Saved my team some coin from buying Starbucks on-site. Several have presses and I know that’s cheaper and more eco-friendly, so I picked up some Kirkland grounds, too.

Stopped at the tire store to have my tire pressure checked and aired up.
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:58 am I replaced the ice maker on my fridge. It was $80 on Amazon for the part. I'd guess a service call would have been at least $300.

In the last couple of years I've replaced the ice maker twice and oven igniter twice. Though I am pretty handy, Youtube makes a lot of these repairs child's play.

I found now that when you have a service call for an appliance they typically have to come out twice because they never seem to have the right part with them.
They have to go home, order it from amazon, and watch the youtube video, and then they come back out.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Last night I baked a low salt pizza. Today, I am cooking Chana Dol in a crock pot for the first time.
Bill
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

I wanted to buy a lumix camera dz 100, but my wife said I didn’t need it. I guess that was frugal too. Bill
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

Paid our housecleaner $150 to clean our house so that my wife, who WFH's, and I, can continue to earn our salaries and keep our kids in private daycare until public school is an option.

frugality means different things to different people.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I worked from the right side of my sofa. Getting ready to heat up dinner and then relax on the left side of the sofa. Don't want to go out this evening because it is going to rain. So, there will be a free car wash. I ran my mini split for about 15 minutes to warm up my living room when I woke up. I had two cups of pour over coffee using Trader Joe's coffee beans and a handful of cashews from Trader Joe's. I'm a homebody, so it has been a good day :mrgreen:
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Bought a packaged food product at the grocery store for $15. Tried to find the expiration date but couldn't. It looked okay so I bought it anyway. Got it home and in the different light I saw that it had expired a month ago. "Holy cow! I will return it tomorrow."

But: Writing this post I re-verified the expiration date. It turns out that I misread it, and that was the packaging date. The "Best By" date is months away. It's fine, no return necessary. So I saved myself a trip back to the store and some possible embarrassment.

Measure twice (sometimes thrice!), cut once.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

tooluser wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:12 pm Bought a packaged food product at the grocery store for $15. Tried to find the expiration date but couldn't. It looked okay so I bought it anyway. Got it home and in the different light I saw that it had expired a month ago. "Holy cow! I will return it tomorrow."

But: Writing this post I re-verified the expiration date. It turns out that I misread it, and that was the packaging date. The "Best By" date is months away. It's fine, no return necessary. So I saved myself a trip back to the store and some possible embarrassment.

I don't know how old you are, but I am not in good shape at the grocery store without my reading glasses. A lot of times when I get home I write the expiration date in permie pen in large letters so I can manage it better. :D
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

LilyFleur wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:21 pm
tooluser wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:12 pm Bought a packaged food product at the grocery store for $15. Tried to find the expiration date but couldn't. It looked okay so I bought it anyway. Got it home and in the different light I saw that it had expired a month ago. "Holy cow! I will return it tomorrow."

I don't know how old you are, but I am not in good shape at the grocery store without my reading glasses. A lot of times when I get home I write the expiration date in permie pen in large letters so I can manage it better. :D
Heard!
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

On vacation for a week. I bought cold cuts, bread, a few tomatoes, spinach and mustard. I've been making sandwiches all week for lunch. Money saved from not going out to lunch every day is helping pay for experiences while on vacation.

I'm not sure if this is frugal, or just a reallocation of resources... since the money saved on eating out is still being spent on experiences.

--- Brian
elle

Post by elle »

brian91480 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:38 pm On vacation for a week. I bought cold cuts, bread, a few tomatoes, spinach and mustard. I've been making sandwiches all week for lunch. Money saved from not going out to lunch every day is helping pay for experiences while on vacation.

I'm not sure if this is frugal, or just a reallocation of resources... since the money saved on eating out is still being spent on experiences.

--- Brian
I do the same. But mine today was asking the kids where they wanted to go for dinner knowing they would say quick pick (for those Seattle-ites out there). Spent most of the weekend sick and in bed, so we have no breakfast, lunch, or dinner planned for the week. Quick pick is a cheaper option than any fast food joint out there. I also like to think it’s more healthy, but I’d say it lands healthier than McDonald’s but it definitely ain’t a salad!
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

elle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:05 pm
brian91480 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:38 pm On vacation for a week. I bought cold cuts, bread, a few tomatoes, spinach and mustard. I've been making sandwiches all week for lunch. Money saved from not going out to lunch every day is helping pay for experiences while on vacation.

--- Brian
I do the same. But mine today was asking the kids where they wanted to go for dinner knowing they would say quick pick (for those Seattle-ites out there). Spent most of the weekend sick and in bed, so we have no breakfast, lunch, or dinner planned for the week. Quick pick is a cheaper option than any fast food joint out there. I also like to think it’s more healthy, but I’d say it lands healthier than McDonald’s but it definitely ain’t a salad!
McDonald's has salads. :wink:
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
fup

Post by fup »

Removed all hinges on my doorframes to save wear and tear, thus saving money on replacement hinges.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I took a heavy old file cabinet that came with one of our house purchases three houses and 37 years ago to metal recycling. It was apparently originally army surplus as its original color was army green. I got six bucks for it as scrap.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

fup wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:14 am Removed all hinges on my doorframes to save wear and tear, thus saving money on replacement hinges.
Why didn't you just remove all the doors?
Door repairs or replacements cost a lot more than silly little hinges!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

elle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:05 pm

--- Brian
I do the same.
We do the same. We generally give the kids one restaurant meal when on vacation, and that may be the only restaurant meal they have all year. I just get a glass of water, the only restaurant meal I've eaten in ~6yrs was a few months ago with my wife's new boss and he was gracious enough to allow me to choose the venue. It's far more for health reasons than frugality, although I don't mind saving the money and using it for things we actually value. My wife travels a lot for work; she eats well on the company dime.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"I don't know how old you are, but I am not in good shape at the grocery store without my reading glasses."

I'm old. When I leave my $9 reading glasses at home or in the truck I use the camera zoom on my iPhone 11. Heck, half of the time the camera is more useful than the glasses - low light, teeny tiny print, etc.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

andypanda wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:50 am "I don't know how old you are, but I am not in good shape at the grocery store without my reading glasses."

I'm old. When I leave my $9 reading glasses at home or in the truck I use the camera zoom on my iPhone 11. Heck, half of the time the camera is more useful than the glasses - low light, teeny tiny print, etc.
Indeed. I've taken a few pics of price labels on the bottom shelf, rather than lay on the floor to read them. Sometimes critical information to see if you've actually picked out the sale item or not.
mangorunner

Post by mangorunner »

Minty wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:49 am ... my real payday was, after buying a replacement anode rod for my 5-year-old Bradford-White water heater, and a pipe wrench and other accessories, I stopped pulling and yanking when it became clear that the old rod did not want to come out. I emailed the folks who put it in. A cheap lesson and adventure, and we still have hot water and a dry garage.
This exact job is on my To-Do List. I need to know: what was Bradford-White's solution for the old rod that did not want to come out? How did you get it out? Thanks in advance!
mangorunner

Post by mangorunner »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:24 am
fup wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:14 am Removed all hinges on my doorframes to save wear and tear, thus saving money on replacement hinges.

RM
Is this all a joke (that went over my head :(), or is anyone actually removing doors or hinges to save anything?
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

mangorunner wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:27 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:24 am

RM
Is this all a joke (that went over my head :(), or is anyone actually removing doors or hinges to save anything?
To really do it right, you have to remove the door frame as well, and wall in the openings. Sweet when it's finished! :wink:
mangorunner

Post by mangorunner »

tooluser wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:48 pm Sweet when it's finished! :wink:
:D :sharebeer
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

latesaver wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:37 pm Paid our housecleaner $150 to clean our house so that my wife, who WFH's, and I, can continue to earn our salaries and keep our kids in private daycare until public school is an option.

frugality means different things to different people.
Huh? I mean, I guess you can go around making up your own definitions for what a word means, but it’s an odd impulse.
GettingComfortable

Post by GettingComfortable »

mangorunner wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:20 pm ...solution for the old rod that did not want to come out? ... Thanks in advance!
Big impact wrench.
mangorunner

Post by mangorunner »

GettingComfortable wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:22 pm
mangorunner wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:20 pm ...solution for the old rod that did not want to come out? ... Thanks in advance!
Big impact wrench.
Got one. I'll get it out when I do the job. Thank you!
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mangorunner

Post by mangorunner »

mary1492 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:47 pm
mangorunner wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:06 pm
GettingComfortable wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:22 pm
Big impact wrench.
Got one. I'll get it out when I do the job. Thank you!
I replaced mine earlier this year, and also had to use my impact wrench to get the old one out. When I did this there was an issue - when it took the old rod out, the threads were stripped off and essentially fused in to the fitting on the water heater! After having heart palpitations and gaining my composure, I picked up a 3/4 inch NPT pipe tap (it's a stock item at Tractor Supply), rethreaded the fitting, and then was able to screw in the new rod. So, if it happens to you, that's how to recover.

A couple other words of wisdom from my ordeal:
1. When you put the new rod in, use teflon tape on it.
2. If you do strip the threads and need to go my route of rethreading - use a generous amount of vegetable oil while slowly working the pipe tap in. If some vegetable oil goes in to the water tank, no big deal...you don't want to be using liquid wrench, WD-40, or some other type of oil.
This is excellent. I love all the details. Thanks a million for taking the time! I appreciate it! :beer
dunk1234

Post by dunk1234 »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:51 am Being frugal should extend beyond your personal world. Maybe to resource use. So to take a longer shower purposely at the gym is not frugal at all. Frugal is about money but also about waste of a resource when it is not necessary. You don't do things because you can, you do them because you should.
I had to shower at the gym for too long a time this summer due to a too long bathroom redo.
When I saw others just standing there under the water for long after the showering part was over, I thought of them as wasters. I thought that at home they probably spent beyond their means. No thought to the future. Theirs or the planet.
There were teens there from the swim team standing under the shower from before I started unit after I left the locker room. You think they were taught frugality?
Maybe my definition of frugal eclipses the norm. But that is one way of looking at it.
Spending money unnecessarily, spending resources unnecessarily. Sound like one and the same.
This sort of criticism really fails for me because it is unempathetic. Who knows the kind of benefits others may gain from extra long showers? How can I judge THEIR cost/benefit? To illustrate the point further: would you denounce anyone who takes road trips because of excessive use of unrenewable resources for pleasure? I would not.
dunk1234

Post by dunk1234 »

I baked bread. My friend asked his wife to go buy ramen (super cheap) at Costco. Cost him very little.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Not wearing clothes at home saves on laundry detergent, electricity, water, wear and tear on clothing and costs to feed guests. :shock:
Minty

Post by Minty »

mangorunner wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:20 pm
Minty wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:49 am ... my real payday was, after buying a replacement anode rod for my 5-year-old Bradford-White water heater, and a pipe wrench and other accessories, I stopped pulling and yanking when it became clear that the old rod did not want to come out. I emailed the folks who put it in. A cheap lesson and adventure, and we still have hot water and a dry garage.
This exact job is on my To-Do List. I need to know: what was Bradford-White's solution for the old rod that did not want to come out? How did you get it out? Thanks in advance!
The Water Heater folks are coming today . . . for $250. I am sure they have more and bigger wrenches than I do.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:59 am
Not wearing clothes at home saves on laundry detergent, electricity, water, wear and tear on clothing and costs to feed guests. :shock:
I tried this in 2020, and it worked well in the summer. I even increase the thermostat set point & saved on electricity. Then I received my gas bill in Oct & Nov and realized that the increased heat more than offset the other savings.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I limit my driving and bunch errands together. Saves on gas ($) and limits consumption.

frugal - definition

adjective

Practicing or marked by economy, as in the expenditure of money or the use of material resources. synonym: sparing.

Simple or costing little; meager or inexpensive.

Economical in the use or appropriation of resources; not wasteful or lavish; wise in the expenditure or application of force, materials, time, etc.; characterized by frugality; sparing; economical; saving

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

My wife wanted me to pick up 2 cans of Campbell's Cream of Celery and if they didn't have that 2 cans of Cream of Chicken.

They had the Celery and I bought the Chicken too because it was 4 for $5. It will save me a trip later.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

During my recent hospital stay, I became hooked on oatmeal, an item I didn’t like before as a breakfast food. By the way hospital food has really evolved!!! Healthy fresh nutritious options!

Now I love a certain brand of Canadian instant oatmeal packets, Autumn Mills. Especially their hot chocolate flavor, but they also have gingerbread flavor for the holidays, and I’m a big gingerbread fan.

Amazon had it for $11 for 2 boxes but the Dollar Store had it for $1.69 a box. So I stocked up.

And yesterday I submitted medical receipts to flexible spending for the 2020 tax year. The plan I’m in extended the date to submit until 12/31/21 due to Covid.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maniminto

Post by maniminto »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:11 pm
And yesterday I submitted receipts to flexible spending for the 2020 tax year. The plan I’m in extended the date to submit until 12/31/21 due to Covid.
Why would FSA reimburse you for oatmeal?
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

maniminto wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:12 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:11 pm
And yesterday I submitted receipts to flexible spending for the 2020 tax year. The plan I’m in extended the date to submit until 12/31/21 due to Covid.
Why would FSA reimburse you for oatmeal?
No no no. Two separate frugal things. I submitted medical receipts for reimbursement. Sorry I was unclear. I updated my post.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post and reply regarding climate change. As a reminder, see: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Set a new personal record for price difference of Costco gas:
Station nearest me: $4.99/gal
Costco 5 miles away: $4.09/gal
Difference: $0.90/gal
Previous record difference was $0.80/gal.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

tooluser wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:33 pm Set a new personal record for price difference of Costco gas:
Station nearest me: $4.99/gal
Costco 5 miles away: $4.09/gal
Difference: $0.90/gal
Previous record difference was $0.80/gal.
Excellent! That's impressive.

I filled for $2.92/gallon yesterday (on the way to an errand) instead of $3.56 (closer to home.) So I didn't score quite as much in terms of savings as you did, yet I was happy to be below $3.00/gallon.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Yesterday I got more than 99% off a prescription. Kroger full price was $1100. I used Amazon Prime RX discount card at Costco to bring the price to $9.50.

I also saved by having my doctor change the prescription for a higher quantity with less refills. This often saves a lot of money depending on your insurance or discount programs. In this case I got 3 times as many pills for 50 cents more.

The difference in prescription prices that aren't covered by insurance can be crazy. This prescription could have been covered by my insurance but would have required getting approval (which isn't fast and is a hassle for me and my doctor) and the co-pay would have been more than what I paid out of pocket with the discount card.

The funny thing is I was going to pick up the prescription at Kroger using a GoodRx coupon when I got an email telling me about Prime RX which I had never heard of before.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

I guess every time it snows and I shovel it myself, I'm doing a frugal thing.

I may not be as frugal next year. :wink:
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.