Chicagoland Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
elihu303

Chicagoland Master Thread

Post by elihu303 »

Hi All,

In an effort to keep all of our thoughts, questions and meeting efforts together, I've started this new page. You can still access the old meeting post on the forum but there was a long gap between posts and the only item listed was a previous meetup. My hopes are that we have an active and willing group, and this particular thread will help others in Chicago find us a bit easier.

First order of business, let's get both a date and an agenda together for a group meeting this Spring. We've had a good number of people express interest over the last month or so and this new thread might help spread the word. If you are interested in joining, please email me at bogleheadschicago@gmail.com and I'll add you to the mailing list. Also, if there are 2-3 things you would like to discuss, please add those to your note. Once we have a date set, I'll send out a list of all of the items that were listed and we can use this as a guide for our discussion. Lastly, please let me know your location and meeting preference (downtown or suburb) so we can plan accordingly.

Have a good day.

Jeremy
Duffydog1

Re: Chicagoland Master Thread

Post by Duffydog1 »

I would be interested however I live in the northern suburbs and not keen on traveling downtown.
My particular interest is in the bond segment of my portfolio.
Allen
MikeMak27

Post by MikeMak27 »

I am very interested in a meeting. I am flexible with meeting in the city or the suburbs. I would prefer a weekend morning date.
Subjects I would like to discuss are what to do if a large portion of your portfolio is a taxable account and how to generate a return on money that you plan to use to buy a house in the intermediate term (3-7 years).
Mak 3 fund portfolio: 50% US small cap value & US Small cap (IJS, IJR), 40% Emerging Markets (IEMG, VWO, FPADX), 10% US REIT (VNQ)
cjonblanchard

Post by cjonblanchard »

I live in the Western suburbs, but would be willing to travel downtown or wherever. I last attended several years ago, but have retired now and have more time. No particular agenda items, although have interest in Roth conversions at this point.
Topic Author
elihu303

Post by elihu303 »

Hi Everyone,

I hope you had a great 4th of July Holiday. Just a reminder that our next meeting will be tomorrow, Thursday, July 6th at 7pm at Chicago's Union Station, 500 West Jackson Boulevard. We'll meet in the same area as last time (NW corner on the first floor food court between Subway and The Original Cookie). Feel free to bring a friend and let's grow this group of like-minded investors.

Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Thanks

As a reminder, please email me at bogleheadschicago@gmail.com to be added to our mailing list to stay up on any updates/minutes from our meetings.
Topic Author
elihu303

Post by elihu303 »

Hello:

We have decided to cancel tonight's meeting for the Chicagoland Bogleheads and will reschedule it for Thursday, July 20th at 7pm.

Thanks
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Thanks for the update.
Topic Author
elihu303

Re: Chicagoland Master Thread - Meeting Tomorrow - 7/20

Post by elihu303 »

Hi Everyone,

I hope this finds you well. Just wanted to send a quick reminder that we will be meeting tomorrow evening at 7pm at the Ogilvie Train Station, 500 West Madison Street. We meet in the NW corner of the food court, between the Subway and the cookie shop (I THINK it's an Original Cookie but I can't confirm that currently).

Also, if you haven't already done so, please email me at bogleheadschicago@gmail.com to be added to our mailing list.

Thanks
Topic Author
elihu303

Post by elihu303 »

HI Everyone,

Tonight's meeting has been canceled. The next meeting will be Thursday, September 7th at 7pm at the Ogilvie Train Station.

To be added to our mailing list and stay up on the latest from the Chicago group, please send an email to bogleheadschicago@gmail.com.

Thanks
Topic Author
elihu303

Post by elihu303 »

Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder; the next Chicagoland Bogleheads Meetup will be next Thursday, September 7 at 7pm at the Ogilvie Train Station, 500 West Madison Street. We meet in the NW corner of the food court, between the Subway and the cookie shop (I THINK it's an Original Cookie but I can't confirm that currently).

Also, if you haven't already done so, please email me at bogleheadschicago@gmail.com to be added to our mailing list.

Thanks
livefreefam

Post by livefreefam »

Are these meetups still taking place through the winter months?
Topic Author
elihu303

Post by elihu303 »

Hi Chicagoland Bogleheads...

Happy New Year to all. Where'd January go!?! Some quick updates for 2018

We decided at our last meeting to meet the FIRST THURSDAY of EVERY month. NOTE: this is a change to last years meetings.

Also, we'll continue to meet at 7:30pm in the Food Court of the Ogilvie Train Station/Citigroup Building - 500 West Madison Street, Chicago. We meet in the NE corner, just outside the Panda Express. Let's plan to meet there for next week's meeting and we can adjust accordingly.

DATES:
February 1
March 1
April 5
May 3
June 7
July 5
August 2
September 6
October 4
November 1
December 6

Finally, for next week's meeting, please bring thoughts, ideas and suggestions on how we can structure the meetings to make them as beneficial as possible for all involved. Something I've been thinking about is a monthly book that we can discuss as the following meeting. All ideas are welcome.

Hope to see everyone next week. For those new to the forum, please email me at bogleheadschicago@gmail.com to be added to our mailing list.

Thanks
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Thank you for setting this up. I am planning on attending.
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

I would be interested in attending if the meetings were in the morning or early afternoon, but not to come downtown at night. Thanks and I'll keep an eye out for any changes.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Any meeting in North/ Northwest suburbs?
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

I will be driving in from NW Indiana so PM me if you need a ride.
Topic Author
elihu303

Post by elihu303 »

Just a reminder that our group will be meeting Thursday night (2/1) downtown. Thanks to everyone who has reached out this week. I look forward to meeting all of the new folks Thursday night.

Also, Mr. BB, I'm unaware of a group meeting in the Northern/NW Suburbs but if your schedule allows, please join us Thursday evening.

Thanks
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Could also discuss recent favorite posts - Why would i buy bonds
WillGetFree

Post by WillGetFree »

Is the meeting still on for March 1st?

If so, where and when is the meeting?

I am a new Boglehead looking to attend my first meeting.
Topic Author
elihu303

Post by elihu303 »

Hi everyone and welcome to March. Just a reminder that we'll be meeting tonight at 7:30pm in the Food Court of the Ogilvie Train Station/Citigroup Building - 500 West Madison Street, Chicago. We meet in the NE corner, just outside the Panda Express. Hope to see everyone then
Topic Author
elihu303

Post by elihu303 »

Happy April and welcome to baseball season. Just a quick note to remind everyone that we'll be meeting again this Thursday, April 5th, at 7:30pm in the Food Court of the Ogilvie Train Station/Citigroup Building - 500 West Madison Street, Chicago. We meet in the NE corner, just outside the Panda Express.

We've had a number of new additions to our mailing list so I'm anticipating a great group. Come out and share some ideas.

Also, if you're new to the forum and would like to be added to our Chicago mailing list, please drop a line to bogleheadschicago@gmail.com.

Thanks
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Do you ever have meetings in the northwest suburbs?
car733

Post by car733 »

Hello Chicago!

Some of us are meeting next Wednesday, July 25th, at 6:30 pm in the Food Court of the Ogilvie Train Station/Citigroup Building - 500 West Madison Street, Chicago. We meet in the NE corner, just outside the Panda Express.

See you there!
car733

Post by car733 »

Just a reminder that we are meeting tomorrow Wed Jul 25th at 6:30.

See you there!
car733

Post by car733 »

Happy new year, Chicago!

Some of us are meeting on February 7th, at 6:00 pm in the Food Court of the Ogilvie Train Station/Citigroup Building - 500 West Madison Street, Chicago. We meet in the NE corner, just outside the Panda Express.

See you there!
cheamboy

Post by cheamboy »

Missed the Feb 7 2019 meeting. When is the next one?
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Will love to have a meeting.
Last edited by ROIGuy on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
car733

Post by car733 »

I am out of town the first week of March. Happy to meet on March, Thursday 14th.
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

I too have trouble getting to the meetings - thinking about starting a Chicagoland virtual meeting for those where weather, timing or travel is a problem. If you are interested - PM me and I will get it setup.

Noticed there is this topic - which also might be worth trying. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=126449
Soko

Post by Soko »

Looking forward to joining the next downtown Chicago meeting. What time and where will it be? Thank you!
Potential

Post by Potential »

Hi all,

Do we still want to meet this month? If so post details as others have been asking in here.
car733 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:59 am I am out of town the first week of March. Happy to meet on March, Thursday 14th.
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
car733

Post by car733 »

Hello, Chicagoans!

Some of us are meeting on April 4th, at 6:00 pm in the Food Court of the Ogilvie Train Station/Citigroup Building - 500 West Madison Street, Chicago. We meet in the NE corner, just outside the Panda Express.

See you there!
car733

Post by car733 »

car733 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:02 pm Hello, Chicagoans!

Some of us are meeting on April 4th, at 6:00 pm in the Food Court of the Ogilvie Train Station/Citigroup Building - 500 West Madison Street, Chicago. We meet in the NE corner, just outside the Panda Express.

See you there!
This is happening today!
Potential

Post by Potential »

Any plans to meet soon?
car733

Post by car733 »

Potential wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:09 pm Any plans to meet soon?
Last time we were only two :(
Happy to meet if we gather a group!

Post by alter »

I'd be interested in meeting...but I'm in NW Burbs...
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Is there any interest in a Chicago virtual meeting? Travel time and attendance has been problem for me.
Potential

Post by Potential »

HoosierJim wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:10 am Is there any interest in a Chicago virtual meeting? Travel time and attendance has been problem for me.
I would be interested in this option, especially if it boosts our attendance. Looks like the general virtual group is semi active.

Always willing to meet in-person, last meeting I didn't see the post until the day after- D'oh!
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Potential wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:28 am I would be interested in this option, especially if it boosts our attendance.
OK - let's do this.

Please send me your email via Private Message if you would like to participate. I will setup a Zoom meeting - just arbitrarily selected the 1st Wednesday of the month 8 pm central time. First meeting can be a meet and greet, discussion on better day or time to meet, and with discussion of overall goals and suggested topics for the Sept meeting.

So our first Chicago virtual meeting is Wednesday August 7th 8 PM CENTRAL. PM me to get on the meeting distribution and calendar reminder.
hustle2wealth

Post by hustle2wealth »

Hi All,
I have a pass to the Bogleheads conference but cannot make it due to last minute work conflict. If anybody is looking to go and needs a ticket, I can offer at a discount.

Thanks
investybestie

Post by investybestie »

Hi,

Does the Chicago chapter still meet regularly?
thomthom88

Post by thomthom88 »

I am also wondering if the Chicago chapter is meeting in person or virtual.

Also, is anyone aware of any chapter/groups in the NW suburbs?

Thanks,
Tom
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

thomthom88 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:59 pm I am also wondering if the Chicago chapter is meeting in person or virtual.

Also, is anyone aware of any chapter/groups in the NW suburbs?

Thanks,
Tom
We actually started meeting virtually before covid due to the commute times. In the past there were evening meetings downtown at 7 pm but it could take some of our members 90 minutes or more coming from the outer suburbs.

We have morphed into Life Stage groups (getting started, mid life, pre-retirement...) but still notify members of upcoming meeting.

Please checkout the calendar of events - you can add this to a google calendar so the Boglehead events are inserted

Since covid, many of the local chapters are still using zoom and open the meetings up to all.
Transition

Post by Transition »

Good Evening,
Is the Chicago Chapter have any meeting schedule.
Thanks Dee
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

Transition wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:05 pm Good Evening,
Is the Chicago Chapter have any meeting schedule.
Thanks Dee
I am also interested in participating either virtually or in-person. I'm not sure if there's anything upcoming on the calendar of events.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

If you would like to be on the Chicago mailing list - please send an email to chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com