USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card [Update]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Re: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

MBB_Boy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:52 am
Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:35 am
Rex66 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:33 am With Alliant removing its fee (but adding the direct deposit), one can only hope usaa brings back the 2.5% card offers
I doubt it will happen. USAA has internal policies that each product needs to support itself, and not be a loss leader subsidized by other products.

USAA realized that at 2.5%, the credit card doesn't actually pay for itself, because only high quality people got approved for it, and they paid the cards off without paying interest, so the sum of that is the product isn't profitable, hence they stopped the roll out.
What? That's not true at all.

ETA: The part about the policy. I work in banking and have multiple friends over there
Well then, educate me. I was told that by someone who was internal.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Ignore / Delete, meant to be a reply
Last edited by MBB_Boy on Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

New thought - maybe it's a difference between insurance and bank business. They are separate organizations, that could reconcile the difference
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:24 am
MBB_Boy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:52 am
Rex66 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:33 am With Alliant removing its fee (but adding the direct deposit), one can only hope usaa brings back the 2.5% card offers
I doubt it will happen. USAA has internal policies that each product needs to support itself, and not be a loss leader subsidized by other products.

USAA realized that at 2.5%, the credit card doesn't actually pay for itself, because only high quality people got approved for it, and they paid the cards off without paying interest, so the sum of that is the product isn't profitable, hence they stopped the roll out.
What? That's not true at all.

ETA: The part about the policy. I work in banking and have multiple friends over there
Well then, educate me. I was told that by someone who was internal.
I can't add anything more - I've simply been told the opposite. There was some military blogger who said that a while back and I asked about it because I was surprised, and was told it was nonsense. They actually manage products, so I figure they would know.

It would be a silly policy that flies in the face of best practice - especially for organizations that define their value prop based on being able to bundle products / offer a one stop shop.

Seems easier to believe it's not true based on these two factors. But silly things happen all the time (see Finn by Chase, which had facepalm written all over it from day 1)
Soon2BXProgrammer

MBB_Boy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:34 am New thought - maybe it's a difference between insurance and bank business. They are separate organizations, that could reconcile the difference
Both comments make sense. i've worked in an big organization and the "rules" get misconstrued and corrupted all the time.. so.. who knows.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Will existing card members get renewed? Has anyone experienced this yet?

My card expires 09/22. They issued me a new card awhile back due to large scale fraud - same exp date.

I'm less concerned due to BofA, but this card has been really nice.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Shorty wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:59 am Will existing card members get renewed? Has anyone experienced this yet?
Mine expires in November of this year, so i'll post an update in a couple months.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

My July statement has the following notation:
WE RECENTLY MADE CHANGES TO YOUR LIMITLESS CASHBACK REWARDS CREDIT CARD. NOW YOU WILL EARN 2.5% CASH BACK ON QUALIFYING PURCHASES REGARDLESS OF DIRECT DEPOSIT STATUS.
Thanks to Gort for the heads up! :beer
birdog

Post by birdog »

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but I just noticed that you can set up your preferences so that when your rewards dollars get to a certain amount (I do $100) they automatically redeem to your checking/visa etc.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

birdog wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:45 am Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but I just noticed that you can set up your preferences so that when your rewards dollars get to a certain amount (I do $100) they automatically redeem to your checking/visa etc.
Ours is set to pull monthly to the Checking acct.

Cheers
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (credit card).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli »

I had a meeting with USAA about a different topic and I asked them "how do you make money with this 2.5% cash back" (This was about 2 years ago before anyone else had something like it). The person told me they don't and they stopped the program. When I got the 2.5% cash back offer I just converted one of my USAA cards to the 2.5% so they got nothing out of the deal... I ended one card and opened this one. He told me that was exactly what happened. They were hoping to get "new" business but most of what they got were people like me, so they stopped it (I also pay off every month).

He also told me though they will never stop it for those who have it.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com
tj

Post by tj »

WolfgangPauli wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:11 pm

I had a meeting with USAA about a different topic and I asked them "how do you make money with this 2.5% cash back" (This was about 2 years ago before anyone else had something like it). The person told me they don't and they stopped the program. When I got the 2.5% cash back offer I just converted one of my USAA cards to the 2.5% so they got nothing out of the deal... I ended one card and opened this one. He told me that was exactly what happened. They were hoping to get "new" business but most of what they got were people like me, so they stopped it (I also pay off every month).

If they wanted new business, they should have made it available in all the states. I don't use any USAA cards, but I would have used that one. They never opened applications in my state.
Soon2BXProgrammer

WolfgangPauli wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:11 pm

They bought my credit card business with the card... but they didn't get a whole new customer, I just never had a credit card with them because there had been better cards elsewhere...
Soon2BXProgrammer

Looks like there is a slight change to better enforce not giving 2.5% cash back for things that they previously said "shouldn't" be rewarded. not a big deal for me, because i only use it for "legit spend"
Effective September 14, 2021, we are making changes to your account regarding transactions that earn rewards. At
that time, in accordance with your reward program terms and conditions, cash-equivalent transactions that
previously may have earned rewards will not qualify. A few examples of such transactions include gift cards,
cryptocurrency, and person-to-person money transfers through services such as Venmo®, PayPal® and Cash App®. To
view your reward program terms and conditions, visit usaa.com.
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:04 am Looks like there is a slight change to better enforce not giving 2.5% cash back for things that they previously said "shouldn't" be rewarded. not a big deal for me, because i only use it for "legit spend"
Effective September 14, 2021, we are making changes to your account regarding transactions that earn rewards. At
that time, in accordance with your reward program terms and conditions, cash-equivalent transactions that
previously may have earned rewards will not qualify. A few examples of such transactions include gift cards,
cryptocurrency, and person-to-person money transfers through services such as Venmo®, PayPal® and Cash App®. To
view your reward program terms and conditions, visit usaa.com.
Reminds me when the Treasury Direct program stopped allowing you to use a "cash back" CC to buy iBonds (I used to use my Discover card). Disappointed but makes perfect sense.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:35 am
Shorty wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:59 am Will existing card members get renewed? Has anyone experienced this yet?
Mine expires in November of this year, so i'll post an update in a couple months.
Mine was renewed.
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Cool. Thanks much! Fingers crossed for next year.
Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:22 am
Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:35 am
Mine was renewed.
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

I couldn't find this card to apply. But it made me google for other cards with 2.5%. I found this one:

https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank ... d#features

I had thought 2% was the best credit card companies offer.

Seems 2.5% is the best now?

Does anyone know if there is 3% (for general purchases for all categories) credit card out there?
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Nope (3% ?). That card has a 10k limit on 2.5%.

BofA gets you 2.65% if you have 100k assets. 3-5%+ mostly involves jumping thru hoops with limits, which may be worthwhile with high spend before your NW gets too high.
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

Shorty wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:44 pm Nope (3% ?). That card has a 10k limit on 2.5%.

BofA gets you 2.65% if you have 100k assets. 3-5%+ mostly involves jumping thru hoops with limits, which may be worthwhile with high spend before your NW gets too high.
Do you have the link showing 2.65%? I googled it and found the preferred rewards mentioned, but I can't tell if it's 2.65%: https://www.bankofamerica.com/preferred ... s/details/
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

Oh I see. 1.5 X 1.75 = 2.625%

But there is a $95 annual fee for the card, right?
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Correct math. Merrill balance counts, even IRAs for Preferred Rewards program.

The new “unlimited cash reward” has *no AF*. Other threads get into the 3.5 and 5.25 (2,3%) limited ($2500/qtr) categories. Generous with multiple cards.
frugalor wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:34 pm Oh I see. 1.5 X 1.75 = 2.625%

frugalor

Post by frugalor »

Shorty wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:41 pm Correct. Merrill balance counts, even IRAs.

The new “unlimited cash reward” has no AF. Other threads get into the 3.5 and 5.25 (2,3%) limited ($2500/qtr) categories. Generous with multiple cards.
frugalor wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:34 pm Oh I see. 1.5 X 1.75 = 2.625%

Cool. https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-ca ... edit-card/

That seems to be the best deal with the 1.75 multiplier

Are there any fees or catches besides the fact that I need to have the investment requirement?
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

Shorty wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:41 pm
Other threads get into the 3.5 and 5.25 (2,3%) limited ($2500/qtr) categories. Generous with multiple cards.
There are plenty of Limited categories that offer 5%. I haven't heard of 5.25% yet. Do you have the links?

For everyday spending without categories, 2.625% is the best we can do with Bank of America, right?
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Takes 3 month calculation. Nice banking perks if you maintain the investment. Online applications were straightforward for me. Bonuses as well (banking and brokerage at the time). The “online” category for 5% is killer.

Other option (if eligible) is the “business” version of everything. No IRA; Merrill account initial submission by paper in a branch office, then exactly the same. PR is calculated separately for personal/biz. The 2/3% card has a 50k limit and different categories instead of 2500/qtr, no “online”. I think unlimited cash reward is still an option.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

frugalor wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:23 pm
Shorty wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:44 pm Nope (3% ?). That card has a 10k limit on 2.5%.

Do you have the link showing 2.65%? I googled it and found the preferred rewards mentioned, but I can't tell if it's 2.65%: https://www.bankofamerica.com/preferred ... s/details/
It is 2.625% (1.5% with a 75% boost if you have Bank of America Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors status - $100k+), if you have the BoA Premium Rewards Visa, BoA Travel Rewards Visa or BoA Unlimited Cash Rewards Visa. If you have the BoA Customized Cash Rewards Visa you can get 3.5% or 5.25% (after the 75% cash back boost) on certain catagories. https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-ca ... edit-card/

There is actually a whole thread on the BoA Preferred Rewards program:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150033
Last edited by anon_investor on Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

We’re hijacking this thread. Check out the bofa PR thread.

Customized cash rewards. 3% x 1.75. Multiple cards okay.
frugalor wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:50 pm
Shorty wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:41 pm
Other threads get into the 3.5 and 5.25 (2,3%) limited ($2500/qtr) categories. Generous with multiple cards.
There are plenty of Limited categories that offer 5%. I haven't heard of 5.25% yet. Do you have the links?

For everyday spending without categories, 2.625% is the best we can do with Bank of America, right?
OU812?

USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card Renewals

Post by OU812? »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I was a fairly early adopter of the USAA 2.5% Cash Back VISA card when they opened up my state (Montana), and of course they never opened it up to all states and then later closed it to all new applicants. My card expires in July and I've been wondering if it will be renewed, closed, or modified. Has anyone else had their card expiration come up yet?
Silk McCue

Re: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card Renewals

Post by Silk McCue »

We’ve had the card since 2017. Just last year they removed the requirement of a monthly deposit to earn the reward. It’s not going away, they won’t take it away from you. If they were doing so you would easily find it in this thread started in 2016. You won’t find any talk of that.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=201331

Cheers
Fpdesignco

Post by Fpdesignco »

This has kept me at USAA for many years now due to the original deposit requirement and didn’t know they got rid of it !

Bank of America however now beats this card for their 2.62% rewards card if you maintain a 100,000 balance between checking, savings, and Merril Lynch (plus a 200$ bonus for 1000$ in spend in the first 90 days + 1000 for Merril if you bring in a certain amount)
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

My USAA 2.5% credit card renewed in December 2021, 30 days prior to expiration date.
OU812?

Post by OU812? »

Many thanks RedBaron! That's exactly what I needed to hear, you must really have been in the first wave when USAA started up this card. I'll rest a little easier now, confident that my card will be renewed instead of discontinued....
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Renewed recently at same terms, including 2.5% limitless cash back. New card valid for another five years. As noted above, the requirement for a monthly direct deposit was removed last year. Of course, terms and conditions are always subject to change in the future.
Fpdesignco

Post by Fpdesignco »

Just a question, where did you see the direct deposit requirement removed ? I went and viewed the reward terms and still saw that clause in the language.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Fpdesignco wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:48 am Just a question, where did you see the direct deposit requirement removed ? I went and viewed the reward terms and still saw that clause in the language.
It was printed on my July 2021 statement.

viewtopic.php?p=6112491#p6112491

You may wish to take a look at your statements from that general time period.
Fpdesignco

Post by Fpdesignco »

Interesting I see it there as well but if I pull terms on the account view still has the clause. Regardless, good to know. As a side note I did just test a 10k ES payment and 5k state ES, and USAA is still giving rewards for tax payments even after the statements made in 2021. I found it curious in the initial statements they called our tax payments, but now that language is no longer especially called out in reward terms.
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

This is great to hear! Thx for the update.

I have BofA 2.625%, but I often prefer USAA (immed credit, less restrictions - tax). I’ll be very excited about a 5 yr renewal!
Fpdesignco

Post by Fpdesignco »

That's actually a question I had about the BOA card, can you put taxes on it?
et14x

Post by et14x »

My card renewed this month, Jan 2022 for 5 more years.

I'm also curious about the tax payments and rewards, as I may be using this card for that purpose.
Fpdesignco

Post by Fpdesignco »

et14x wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:18 pm My card renewed this month, Jan 2022 for 5 more years.

I'm also curious about the tax payments and rewards, as I may be using this card for that purpose.
I put some ES payments on it in December (10k), and it worked fine, however if you do have the BOA relationship as I wrote about, it a slightly higher return (2.62% / opposed to 2.5%)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Fpdesignco wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:59 pm That's actually a question I had about the BOA card, can you put taxes on it?
Others have posted in a few threads that you can. I plan to pay my taxes this year with my BoA Premium Rewards Visa.
maxq

Post by maxq »

My 2.5% card expires end of Feb 2022 and I just received the new card that goes through Feb 2027. They sent along a small flyer that includes verbiage that says the 2.5% reward requires a monthly "Qualifying Direct Deposit" of $1K or more; if under $1K, reward drops to 1.5%. The flyer defines a QDD as "... a single electronic transfer into your checking account that you initiate with your employer, a government entity, or an electronic financial institution." :-)
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

maxq wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:28 pm My 2.5% card expires end of Feb 2022 and I just received the new card that goes through Feb 2027. They sent along a small flyer that includes verbiage that says the 2.5% reward requires a monthly "Qualifying Direct Deposit" of $1K or more; if under $1K, reward drops to 1.5%. The flyer defines a QDD as "... a single electronic transfer into your checking account that you initiate with your employer, a government entity, or an electronic financial institution." :-)
Thats odd given the fact that the deposit requirement has been removed. I expect that’s just a clerical error on their part.

Cheers
SpinPsycholer

Post by SpinPsycholer »

Fpdesignco wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:59 pm That's actually a question I had about the BOA card, can you put taxes on it?
I put my property taxes, January estimated fed income tax payment, and my homeowners insurance on my BofA unlimited Cash rewards card. Paid 2.625% reward as expected.
"Don't feel entitled to anything you didn't sweat and struggle for." -Marian Wright Edelman
Fpdesignco

Post by Fpdesignco »

Silk McCue wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:31 pm
maxq wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:28 pm My 2.5% card expires end of Feb 2022 and I just received the new card that goes through Feb 2027. They sent along a small flyer that includes verbiage that says the 2.5% reward requires a monthly "Qualifying Direct Deposit" of $1K or more; if under $1K, reward drops to 1.5%. The flyer defines a QDD as "... a single electronic transfer into your checking account that you initiate with your employer, a government entity, or an electronic financial institution." :-)
Thats odd given the fact that the deposit requirement has been removed. I expect that’s just a clerical error on their part.

Cheers
Side note, I did just get new cards, I got the same disclosure. When I called USAA I was told that those terms are accurate..
bogatyr

Post by bogatyr »

I just received notification today that the cash reward rate is being lowered to 1.5% after Dec 31, 2022. I am going to have to start shopping cards again. It was nice to just have one go-to card for almost everything.
galawdawg

USAA Dropping Limitless 2.5% Cashback Rewards Card

Post by galawdawg »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

From the notice just sent out by USAA
At USAA, our mission is to serve the financial needs of our members. Over time, we change our offerings to reflect members’ evolving needs and to remain competitive. These changes include simplifying our current offerings to make way for NEW products in the near future. Effective April 26, 2022, your USAA Limitless Cashback Rewards Credit Card ending in XXXX will automatically be converted to the Preferred Cash Rewards VisaÒ Credit Card.

What’s Changing?
Your new Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Credit Card will earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every Qualifying Purchase. We
recognize that this product change reduces the amount of cash back you will earn on purchases. To show our appreciation for your loyalty, you will automatically earn an additional 1% cash back, totaling 2.5%, on Qualifying Purchases through December 31, 2022. Additionally, tax payments will no longer be eligible for cash back.

What’s Not Changing?
There is no change to your card number, or current Annual Percentage Rate. You can continue using your current card for purchases and recurring bill payments as you normally would.

If you have an existing cash back balance, it will transfer to the new card type.

Additionally, you will continue experiencing the following benefits with your card:
· Rewards that never expire and are redeemable anytime
· No annual fees
· No foreign transaction fees
· Travel, shopping, and identity theft benefits
So it appears that the 2.5% cash back will actually end December 31, 2022.
Fpdesignco

Post by Fpdesignco »

Just a note,

Just got a letter from USAA stating that the Unlimited 2.5 % card is getting converted to their Preferred Rewards Cashback card on April 26th 2022. Second to that they will keep unlimited 2.5% cashback, however they are removing the ability to pay taxes using the card and get rewards after that switch takes place. They state these terms will last until December 31st 2022, so I am guessing 2.5% unlimited is dead next year.
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

Good time for the Alliant 2.5% card?