Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tj

Re: Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Post by tj »

darrvao777 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:22 am I recently came across an email offer for Sirius that was $5/month for 12 months and they would throw in a "free" Echo Dot.

My wife, who is as frugal as she is sweet, said we barely drive anywhere anyway. She told me to keep waiting for a better offer.

Less than a week later, I get another email offering 3 months of Sirius for free so long as I pay the $2 activation fee.

So I guess the key is to let your radio service lapse and then just wait out the better offers :)
I recently had something like this for Hulu. I cancelled when TV started showing reruns for the year, and then a couple months later I got an offer for $2.99/mo for 6 months which is half the normal price.

With SiriusXM, I'm not sure the SElect plan would be interesting to me - it excludes all the sports radio broadcasts! I'm fine listening to FM radio for music when in the car.
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

well this is interesting...

I am currently on the phone with sirius trying to cancel my account. (I thought they would try to convince me to stay harder than they did but when I turned down $100/year + fees and $50/6 months + fees he was like "ok lets cancel")

whats strange is he said he was going to start the cancellation process and get me a confirmation number and for the last 10 minutes all I hear is random typing on a keyboard.
probably a fake, looped recorded sound of someone typing but thats it...just over and over.

is he hoping I just hang up and give up and keep my subscription? is this the new tactic?

edit: ok after 15-20 minutes, it stopped and sent me right back to automated menu I got when I first called. haha, what the hell is this?

edit2: sounds like im at the end of the line and have to do the song and dance all over again. anyone have any suggestions? can I just call my credit card company and not let the charge go through?

edit3: can they just never pick up the phone now that they know I want to cancel? are they allowed to simply make it impossible for me to cancel?

edit4: while on hold, I tried the online chat. I had heard it was impossible but I guess not - I was able to cancel online! but they sure dont make it easy
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Hi there Bogleheads -

It's that time of year again... time for my subscription to renew. I went online this year instead of calling SiriusXM. I selected the option to cancel my subscription, and was quickly given several options to stay with SiriusXM. I decided to splurge a bit and go with their All Access service... it'll be nice to be able to listen to baseball games (not that there's much baseball being played this year)... The all-in cost is about 10 bucks a month.

Doing this online is much easier than dealing with them over the phone. No need to wait on hold while their rep pretends to check with his supervisor...
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

catdude wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:21 pm
Doing this online is much easier than dealing with them over the phone. No need to wait on hold while their rep pretends to check with his supervisor...
+1, this. It's a piece of cake. I cancelled, re-upped @ $5.99 and got the free Echo Dot to boot, all online.
hudson

Post by hudson »

catdude,

If possible and appropriate, would you give the out the door price that you paid for total access?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

catdude wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:21 pm Hi there Bogleheads -

It's that time of year again... time for my subscription to renew. I went online this year instead of calling SiriusXM. I selected the option to cancel my subscription, and was quickly given several options to stay with SiriusXM. I decided to splurge a bit and go with their All Access service... it'll be nice to be able to listen to baseball games (not that there's much baseball being played this year)... The all-in cost is about 10 bucks a month.

Totally agree that online is better than calling in. But the chat function works well enough for me.

A month ago I decided to pass on the $60/yr select promo for our 2nd car, since we're hardly driving anymore. About 2 weeks later, they sent an offer to reactivate. It was still $60/yr, but included an upgrade to All Access plus a free Echo Dot. Since we still aren't driving much, we passed on that offer.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

hudson wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:12 pm catdude,

If possible and appropriate, would you give the out the door price that you paid for total access?
No problem. It's $99 for All-Access, plus $21.19 for the music royalty fee. Total of $120.19...
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

I had an annual renewal coming up for $247 although I got a cheaper price last year.
The phone lines were busy so they texted.
I said it was too expensive and I am driving less.
I got a 12 month Select package, same channels as now for $73 + $21 fee.
hudson

Out the door prices SELECT only...for one year

Post by hudson »

Select now includes online...at home

Maybe these numbers will help the next caller know what prices others are getting. I'm to lazy to call back and try to get neilpilot/denovo prices....maybe next August.

Calli114 $94
Hudson...me...$88.37
neilpilot....$72.84
denovo....$72.84
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Online chat works well for me.
8 months ago I had renewed for about $7/mo. It was their second offer, and I knew it wasn't the best they could do, but I had other things to do.
2 months ago I renewed for $5/mo for 6 months, plus royalty fees (which appears to be the "resort fee" of SiriusXM).

If they offer me an Echo Dot or a sports package, they will need to significantly reduce the price! :x
rascott

Post by rascott »

catdude wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:21 pm Hi there Bogleheads -

+1 login to your account online. Click on you want to cancel..... then the offers will pop up. I got select for $5/mo.... either 6 months for $30 or 12 months for $60.

No reason to call in whatsoever.
like2read

Post by like2read »

+1

Thanks! Just lowered our monthly bill to $4.99 per radio for XM Select for 12 months. Very easy to do online.

As stated above: login and choose cancel.

I chose "because it is too expensive"

Got the pop-up offer for a lower rate.

l2r
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I just got my billing reminder email. Hopefully I can still ‘cancel’ online and get a similar deal to what I got six months ago, as the pandemic was beginning. I really hate calling them.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

I was in the last month in July of our current $60 a year plan plus fees (music royalty fees) that made it about $72 a year automatically billed to a credit card monthly when I saw the free echo dot offer. I chatted on line, got an upgrade to All Access plus SiriusXM video whatever that is, an echo dot, and a credit for the remaining portion of the month. I paid it all in one lump sum. Reasonable, but what all you other folks got. On August 27, I got an email from Sirius offering me a free Google Nest mini if I added the Sirius app to my phone and streamed something by August 31st, which I did. The Nest mini arrived yesterday. Not bad.... I guess that they had 25,000 to give away.
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

Our all access subscription was up for renewal in a couple of weeks. Thanks to this thread I just did the year of select for a pretty good price. Paying on-line allowed me to use my virtual visa card number from Capital One. I'll now disable that card number so that SiriusXM won't gouge me if I forget next year.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

like2read wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:29 pm +1

Thanks! Just lowered our monthly bill to $4.99 per radio for XM Select for 12 months. Very easy to do online.

l2r
I don't see that option when I log in. I see:

I want to...

Change my subscription
Change my term
Send a refresh signal to this radio
Replace this radio with another
Transfer service to a new car
tschaefges

Post by tschaefges »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:24 am

l2r

I want to...

Change my subscription
Change my term
Are you using a browser on a desktop computer? If so, try the Sirius app on your phone. I could not see the option on my desktop, but did on my phone.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

tschaefges wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:12 am
CardinalRule wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:24 am

l2r

I want to...

Change my subscription
Change my term
Are you using a browser on a desktop computer? If so, try the Sirius app on your phone. I could not see the option on my desktop, but did on my phone.
I was using a browser on my desktop. I ended up entering into a chat session through my browser and was offered $10 a month for All Access, for 12 months, which I took to avoid wasting more time before my automatic renewal on September 22. :x I will probably want to downgrade after the NFL season and will try the app next time.
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

Thank you all. :sharebeer

I had to select don't use it as much option for $4.99 to pop up for select.
Also Amex gave me a $5 statement credit on the SiriusXM Radio Amex offer. :moneybag
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I just cancelled then re-upped using the online tap dance. $5/mo for 12 mo and a free Echo Dot. It took all of 5 minutes to do. :)
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Just did this two weeks ago. They wanted $360 a year for two cars. To borrow Arnold’s classic response, I told them “no chance”.

I was offered $140 for the year which covers two cars.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Got renewal notice for 12(26.71) = 320.52 per year. Went online to chat. Took about 10-15 minutes total time, mostly waiting for agent. Complained of high price. Waited. They came back immediately with an offer for (12)11.36 = 136.32. Didn't try to do anything else. In and out.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Dude2 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:33 pm Got renewal notice for 12(26.71) = 320.52 per year. Went online to chat. Took about 10-15 minutes total time, mostly waiting for agent. Complained of high price. Waited. They came back immediately with an offer for (12)11.36 = 136.32. Didn't try to do anything else. In and out.
Is this for multiple radios or premium service? Last I checked, XM Select is pegged at $5/mo.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:36 pm
Dude2 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:33 pm Got renewal notice for 12(26.71) = 320.52 per year. Went online to chat. Took about 10-15 minutes total time, mostly waiting for agent. Complained of high price. Waited. They came back immediately with an offer for (12)11.36 = 136.32. Didn't try to do anything else. In and out.
Is this for multiple radios or premium service? Last I checked, XM Select is pegged at $5/mo.
I have to get my Howard Stern. It's the primary reason I subscribe. To do that requires the full everything package. I know there are lesser packages. Whenever Howard retires, I will consider that. One radio.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

Just got my renewal notice for XMSelect at $16.99 + $3.64 (royalty)/month x 2 (two cars). I went on to cancel and get offered a lower rate but the offered rate was still $12.99 plus royalties for Mostly Music. I haven't done a chat or call yet.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

My renewal came up recently. The charge was going to be over $350 annually (multiple radios). After much circular talk they offered around $300. More denial on my part, more circular talk (package X vs package Y vs whatever) arriving at $250, said that was as low as they could go. I thanked them, said I would let the last 2 weeks of service play out and then cancel. No, wait, here we go again ...... I said that I would pay $130 for the year, take it or leave it. They took it.

I'm not going to play their game any more. After this year, one phone call, one offer on my part, done. If I end up cancelling not a big deal. Strange business model.
hudson

Post by hudson »

tm3,
What were the out the door specifics on the deal that you got.
Many thanks!
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

tm3 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 am I'm not going to play their game any more. After this year, one phone call, one offer on my part, done. If I end up cancelling not a big deal. Strange business model.
Agreed. I strongly suspect I'll end up renewing at $50-60 per car after having a phone call or two, but I won't feel like that was a "win"--just a waste of time.
gac1979

Post by gac1979 »

cowdogman wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:56 pm Just got my renewal notice for XMSelect at $16.99 + $3.64 (royalty)/month x 2 (two cars). I went on to cancel and get offered a lower rate but the offered rate was still $12.99 plus royalties for Mostly Music. I haven't done a chat or call yet.
Do the chat. Our renewal notice for Select was the same as yours. Just like you, I got a slightly lower rate by going on to cancel. Then I tried chatting and got the $5 monthly rate for select (about $6.50 with royalties and taxes).
tm3

Post by tm3 »

hudson wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:11 am tm3,
Many thanks!
I don't know all the details of their different packages, but, I have all of the music channels and news channels (the only ones I listen to) and I have internet access which is an upcharge (might be called "select"). Two radios. I believe that the exact charge is $130 plus tax/fees for a total of around $145, 12 months. I think that they offer some kind of sports package (NFL?) and I don't have that; the fast talking saleslady also rattled off one or two more that I am not familiar with.

I consider the above a fair price for the service. It definitely is not worth $300 to me, much less $500.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

I am doing it online via chat at this moment and have accepted the offer of $6.06 (includes fees) per vehicle per month (we have two vehicles = $12.12). I just went through these steps:

- sign into account
- click on cancel my subscrition
- select your reason (mine was - too expensive - to which the offer of $12.99/month was given)
- decline by asking to chat online
- then, I said I wanted the $5.00/month plan that I had previously received to which the agent replied, "no problem"
- go through the steps of setting up the new plan for each vehicle with the agent
- have new plan in place for $6.06/month per vehicle

Took less than 15 minutes.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
hudson

Post by hudson »

tm3 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:55 am
hudson wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:11 am tm3,
Many thanks!
I don't know all the details of their different packages, but, I have all of the music channels and news channels (the only ones I listen to) and I have internet access which is an upcharge (might be called "select"). Two radios. I believe that the exact charge is $130 plus tax/fees for a total of around $145, 12 months. I think that they offer some kind of sports package (NFL?) and I don't have that; the fast talking saleslady also rattled off one or two more that I am not familiar with.

I consider the above a fair price for the service. It definitely is not worth $300 to me, much less $500.
Thanks tm3!
So, one vehicle would cost 72.50 out the door for one year?
hudson

Post by hudson »

TnGuy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:51 am I am doing it online via chat at this moment and have accepted the offer of $6.06 (includes fees) per vehicle per month (we have two vehicles = $12.12). I just went through these steps:

- sign into account
- select your reason (mine was - too expensive - to which the offer of $12.99/month was given)
- then, I said I wanted the $5.00/month plan that I had previously received to which the agent replied, "no problem"
- go through the steps of setting up the new plan for each vehicle with the agent

David
Thanks David, So your deal was $72.72 for one vehicle out the door for one year?
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

TnGuy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:51 am I am doing it online via chat at this moment and have accepted the offer of $6.06 (includes fees) per vehicle per month (we have two vehicles = $12.12). I just went through these steps:

- sign into account

David
Just did the same. $6.06/month/car for 12 months. The cost was less than $72.72 because I have a month+ left on my current subscriptions and that amount was refunded, so it was around $65/car.

How annoying to have to go thru this every year. Next year I'll wait until closer to expiry so that I don't do this every 11 months.
Last edited by cowdogman on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

hudson wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:16 pmThanks David, So your deal was $72.72 for one vehicle out the door for one year?
Yes, $72.72 per vehicle for one year.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

- sign into account

David
Thank you for sharing your experience. I just did exactly the same thing. It took precisely 12 minutes to complete the transaction.

Because of all of the responses above stating how eager Sirius is to offer the $5 per month rate, I asked if I could get it for two years. They said no, the "special promotional rate" is for one year only.

So I guess I'll go through the whole song and dance again in March 2022.

Again, thanks for sharing.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
FlamePoint

Post by FlamePoint »

Thanks to this forum, I was wise to how to approach my renewal this year and am saving quite a bit by using the tips offered by different folks.

My renewal popped up today and had increased to $189 for one car....Mostly Music package. That was it. I was done with Sirius at this price. Went into my online account, clicked the “I want to cancel” button, followed by the reason of “too expensive. Spent about 10 minutes texting with a CSR and ended up with the Select package for $72.84. My husbands renewal comes up in a few months, so we applied this to his vehicle, too. A total of $145.68 for 2 cars. I’m paying less for 2 cars this year than I would have for one had I not gone through this exercise.

Now I just need to remember to get out in front of this next year before they charge my credit card.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Just received a SIriusXM email offer: "For the first time ever, we're offering a package of ten, free ad-supported SXM channels in the car, including previews of some of our most popular ones." I can't find anything on their web site for it but the add mentions The Highway (Country Hits), 90s, Hits 1, the Heat (urban/hip hop), Classic Rewind (70/80/90s rock)

Guess I'll activate it and see if it is worth any increase in emails, etc.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Taz wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:20 am Just received a SIriusXM email offer: "For the first time ever, we're offering a package of ten, free ad-supported SXM channels in the car, including previews of some of our most popular ones." I can't find anything on their web site for it but the add mentions The Highway (Country Hits), 90s, Hits 1, the Heat (urban/hip hop), Classic Rewind (70/80/90s rock)

Thank you for posting. I hadn’t heard about such an offer.

I expect that every ad (or at least every other) will be trying to cajole you into “upgrading” to a paid subscription. And it likely won’t be the $5 per month one that many of us have gotten.

If you choose to take them up on their offer, please let us know about your listening experience.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

$5/mo plan + free echo dot

Sell echo dot on facebook marketplace or ebay (have done this 3 times selling for $40 once and $30 twice) to off set the subscription cost. Rinse and repeat. I've politely demanded this deal on both renewals and brand new accounts. Just cut to the chase and tell them this is what you need.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Stinky wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 am
Taz wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:20 am Just received a SIriusXM email offer: "For the first time ever, we're offering a package of ten, free ad-supported SXM channels in the car, including previews of some of our most popular ones." I can't find anything on their web site for it but the add mentions The Highway (Country Hits), 90s, Hits 1, the Heat (urban/hip hop), Classic Rewind (70/80/90s rock)

Thank you for posting. I hadn’t heard about such an offer.

I expect that every ad (or at least every other) will be trying to cajole you into “upgrading” to a paid subscription. And it likely won’t be the $5 per month one that many of us have gotten.

If you choose to take them up on their offer, please let us know about your listening experience.
Activated straight on line from the email and the free subscription activated 10 stations. I was not asked for a credit card.

The five preview stations mentioned above mirror their equivalent "paid" versions but with different channel numbers and have ads periodically - fewer than local FM. They are mainly for SiriusXM with an occasional commercial offer. The five other stations added do not have commercials (074 Bluegrass, 110 Doctor Radio, 142 HBCU - historically black college/university music and radio programs, 144 Korea Today, 152 En Vivio - "Official channel of the Latin Grammys"). I think these may change periodically to showcase paid subscription offerings.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

My Select subscription to one of our two vehicles (the other has All Access) is up later this month.

And so I have to go through the same song and dance to either get a better rate than the listed $16.99 amount for this tier (more than $20 after fees) or cancel.

I should at least get both vehicles on the same bill schedule so that I only have to go through this nonsense once a year. :annoyed

I received an email this week stating that MLB baseball is moving away from Select. I actually didn’t know it was there (I do listen in our other, All Access vehicle.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CardinalRule wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:57 pm
I should at least get both vehicles on the same bill schedule so that I only have to go through this nonsense once a year. :annoyed
I think that if you “cancel” both vehicles, then (grudgingly) agree to pay your $5 per month per vehicle, you can get them on the same cycle.

They’ll refund the unused portion of the subscription on the vehicle that you’re “canceling” early.
Drelk3

Post by Drelk3 »

Just had my most pleasant renewal experience ever. I have 2 cars with service, both due for renewal July 1. Logged into my account, started an online chat and said I’d like to renew both cars at the $5/month rate. Agent said no problem and I was done in less than 5 minutes. No push to upgrade or take any additional equipment, no need to threaten to cancel. I actually thanked the agent for such a pleasant experience. Maybe they are changing their sales model or maybe I just got lucky. Either way, something I dread doing every year turned out to be simple

Drelk3
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

Just did my yearly call to threaten to cancel/renew.
I get the total package (I need Howard Stern) so it's always a bit more.

When I called, I got an automated response that said to renew for $99 for the year, press 1. I pressed 1. It read me the terms, asked me to approve, and charged me.

Easiest call yet. I'm sure this saves them money vs the normal charade most go through with reps.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

It sounds like Sirius has found a price point that’s attractive for folks.

The “regular” price is too much, but $5-8 per month seems to work for folks.
Madbull

Post by Madbull »

I'll add to this for those who may be interested.....

Through 06/30/21, SiriusXM has their "Big Summer Upgrade" sale. It's 12 months of Select for 4.99, which is then upgraded to All-Access at no charge. Once those 12 months have passes, reverts to just Select at the 16.99/mo rate, (ie; time to call/webchat with them).

$5/mo for All-Access for a year is one of the best deals. Last I checked, $60 < $99, so I'm sold! :D

(This actually timed out great, as we still have one month of our free trial in the new Acura, so signed up online yesterday, and will get charged on 08/01/21 for $6.36 after the royalty fee and taxes)

Edit - All I saw online was the 'standard special' for 12mo for $60 on the Select, which didn't include the upgrade. I had to google "siriusxm select upgrade howard stern" and a few links down was the correct one to get the free upgrade for All-Access. :beer

OFFER DETAILS: Activate a new Select subscription and pay $4.99 each month for your first 12 months, plus get free activation (a $15 savings). During your initial 12-month subscription term, your service will be upgraded (at no additional cost to you) and you will receive the channels and features available in our All Access subscription package. Savings based on monthly rate for All Access, currently $21.99/mo. Fees and taxes apply. A credit card is required on this offer. Your Select subscription will renew every month thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates (currently $16.99/mo). Please see our Customer Agreement at www.siriusxm.com for complete terms and how to cancel, which includes calling us at 1-866-635-2349. All fees, content and features are subject to change. This offer cannot be combined with any other and may be modified or terminated at any time. Offer for new subscriptions only. Satellite and streaming lineups vary. This offer is presented exclusively by SiriusXM and may not be republished without the consent of SiriusXM.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

Apple Music is a far better deal. Why wouldn’t you want to pick what you listen to… literally anything at anytime for 10$?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:46 pm Apple Music is a far better deal. Why wouldn’t you want to pick what you listen to… literally anything at anytime for 10$?
One reason is that I'd also have to pay an additional $15-$35/mo for the mobile data necessary to use Apple Music.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Madbull wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:42 pm Through 06/30/21, SiriusXM has their "Big Summer Upgrade" sale. It's 12 months of Select for 4.99, which is then upgraded to All-Access at no charge.
How much was the year....OTD...out the door?
Many thanks!