The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
nalor511

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by nalor511 »

bbrock wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:41 pm
nalor511 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:28 pm
nalor511 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:53 pm Has anyone churned the Fido $1mil+ bonus (gotten it more than once)?
Anybody? :twisted:
Well, how much was your first bonus for $1mil+ at Fido?
$2500 in 2021
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:44 pm
nalor511 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:40 pm Public fixed my cost basis. But again, it came in correctly, then 4 days later was mysteriously wrong (in a disadvantageous fashion), and now 5 days after that they were able to fix it. I have no confidence it will remain correct. Be vigilant.
I am disheartened to report that my cost basis reset to the incorrect value *a.g.a.i.n* (came in correctly, 4 days later was wrong, 5 days after that fixed, 8 days after that I checked again and it's wrong again). Just a PSA, watch your Apex/Public cost bases like a hawk.
Ok, it took them almost a week, but my cost basis is "fixed" for the second time. (came in correctly, 4 days later was wrong #1, 5 days to fix it #1, 8 days later wrong #2, 6 days to fix it #2). Zero explanation why it was wrong either of the two times. Be vigilant.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

bbrock wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:41 pm
nalor511 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:27 pm
bbrock wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:18 pm
placeholder wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:47 am My 100k+ acats transfer to tastyworks finalized yesterday and today the 2k bonus was credited so that's good and thanks to those that suggested it.
I’m looking at Dr. of credit for this tasty works offer; don’t c it. Will you please share the link?
DOC removed it. This was the first google result https://www.tastyreferrals.com/tastyworks-promotions/
Thx. I’ll check it.
Looks like it’s for a 2022 promotion. But reading it shows that it’s still being honored as of January 2023. Is that the legit anybody?

Does this include Roth IRAs?

Much better than doing the Merrill edge bonus at the moment
bbrock
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

bbrock wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:18 pm
placeholder wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:47 am My 100k+ acats transfer to tastyworks finalized yesterday and today the 2k bonus was credited so that's good and thanks to those that suggested it.
I’m looking at Dr. of credit for this tasty works offer; don’t c it. Will you please share the link?
Here's the one I used which even though it says 2022 is good through the end of march:

https://support.tastyworks.com/support/ ... otion-2022
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

bbrock wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:44 pm Looks like it’s for a 2022 promotion. But reading it shows that it’s still being honored as of January 2023. Is that the legit anybody?

Does this include Roth IRAs?
Taxable accounts only unfortunately and from the offer:
New US or Australian-based customers registering with tastyworks who open and fund an account with $5,000 or more from September 12th, 2022, to March 31st, 2023, with the referral code "TIERED_2022" are eligible.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

I follow this thread but rarely do anything other than ask Merrill edge for a retention bonus which I have received two or three times. I don't change brokerage due to the preferred rewards 100k limit.

However, I was wondering could I send over in kind my vti and vxus if it was over 100k to get the tasty works bonus of 2k? This would allow me to have enough money at Merrill to keep preferred rewards status.

Seems tempting and then I can just move back to Merrill? Has anyone done anything this before?
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

BashDash wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:30 pm However, I was wondering could I send over in kind my vti and vxus if it was over 100k to get the tasty works bonus of 2k? This would allow me to have enough money at Merrill to keep preferred rewards status.

Seems tempting and then I can just move back to Merrill? Has anyone done anything this before?
I just moved a single etf from merrill edge to get the bonus and might move it back there after the holding period or do something else with it.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Placeholder: Thanks for the reply. Was this hassle free? All info transferred correctly? I'm assuming when making the transfer you just check the holdings that you want to move. I don't have quite enough in those two etfs so I supposed I could do this with the few remaining individual stocks I own.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

KISS wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:59 pm Tastyworks requires an absurd amount of information. I have had several brokerage accounts over the years (Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab among them) and I have never been asked to produce the documents that Tastyworks wants. Upon sign up you have to upload a pic of a government ID and another document such as a SSN card or W2. I submitted the documents, and a day later they sent an email saying they needed the documents re-submitted because the originals weren’t clear or bright enough (not true), AND they need a selfie of me holding up my ID. That last part is what turned me all the way off. No thanks.
I just ran into this too. They said it was because Equifax had a fraudulent activity flag on my report. That is probably because of a fraud I reported whereby someone opened a Wells Fargo account in my name/address. In any event, I am travelling for several months and don't have my SS card with me (it's at home in the safe) and they are requiring that I upload a photo of it to open my account. So it looks like I won't be able to do this promo :(

Note to self/others: keep photos of important documents when travelling!
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

GeraniumLover wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:48 pm
KISS wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:59 pm Tastyworks requires an absurd amount of information. I have had several brokerage accounts over the years (Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab among them) and I have never been asked to produce the documents that Tastyworks wants. Upon sign up you have to upload a pic of a government ID and another document such as a SSN card or W2. I submitted the documents, and a day later they sent an email saying they needed the documents re-submitted because the originals weren’t clear or bright enough (not true), AND they need a selfie of me holding up my ID. That last part is what turned me all the way off. No thanks.
I just ran into this too. They said it was because Equifax had a fraudulent activity flag on my report. That is probably because of a fraud I reported whereby someone opened a Wells Fargo account in my name/address. In any event, I am travelling for several months and don't have my SS card with me (it's at home in the safe) and they are requiring that I upload a photo of it to open my account. So it looks like I won't be able to do this promo :(

Note to self/others: keep photos of important documents when travelling!
I did all this. It wasn’t a big deal. I’ve jumped thru bigger hoops for less.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

I have a Roth IRA to move from Vanguard with 150 K. Anybody have luck trying to get Schwab to match either tasty works or Streetbeat? Those seem like the best promos to match right now at the >100k level.
bbrock
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

bbrock wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:29 pm I have a Roth IRA to move from Vanguard with 150 K. Anybody have luck trying to get Schwab to match either tasty works or Streetbeat? Those seem like the best promos to match right now at the >100k level.
The best they will do for $200k is $1k (and it was like pulling teeth). They can't/won't match the better offers lately, something's changed with the way they do matches.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

nalor511 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 pm
bbrock wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:29 pm I have a Roth IRA to move from Vanguard with 150 K. Anybody have luck trying to get Schwab to match either tasty works or Streetbeat? Those seem like the best promos to match right now at the >100k level.
The best they will do for $200k is $1k. They can't/won't match the better offers lately, something's changed with the way they do matches.
The tastyworks offer is not for IRAs. Is streatbeat?

Someone above said they were told Schwab won't match the small upstarts. I guess they don't see them as their competition and I wouldn't either, especially if they don't allow mutual funds and IRA accounts.

Perhaps Schwab will match $700 for $100K that (I think) firstrade is offering?
potatogun

Post by potatogun »

Also note for Schwab matches, the competing offer has to have same account type (eg for IRA the offer has to be for retirement accounts too).
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

I'm going to be moving over a little over a million from Vanguard to Fidelity. It'll be my wife and I's Roth IRAs and our taxable account. How should I go about trying to get a bonus? We're existing Fidelity customers with other accounts, namely wife's 401k and RSU taxable, our DFA, and our HSA.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Unfortunately, it looks like that first trade excludes, IRAs, and Roth.
bbrock
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

teamDE wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:05 pm I'm going to be moving over a little over a million from Vanguard to Fidelity. It'll be my wife and I's Roth IRAs and our taxable account. How should I go about trying to get a bonus? We're existing Fidelity customers with other accounts, namely wife's 401k and RSU taxable, our DFA, and our HSA.
Simply ask them about it when you call. Tell them the amount you will be moving. It’s all based on that. It might help to mention offers you have seen from other brokers websites (as discussed in this thread).
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

teamDE wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:05 pm I'm going to be moving over a little over a million from Vanguard to Fidelity. It'll be my wife and I's Roth IRAs and our taxable account. How should I go about trying to get a bonus? We're existing Fidelity customers with other accounts, namely wife's 401k and RSU taxable, our DFA, and our HSA.
Unless you have $1mil under one person's name (or in the joint account) you're unlikely to get a fidelity bonus. I used secure email to ask, and asked to be contacted via email (no phone), because I don't want any confusion about terms. This worked for me.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

bbrock wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:37 pm Unfortunately, it looks like that first trade excludes, IRAs, and Roth.
I didn't notice that before, but it looks like I'm not the only one. They've got a FB post that says it includes IRAs:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1675175014
pre

Post by pre »

jeffyscott wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:43 pm
bbrock wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:37 pm Unfortunately, it looks like that first trade excludes, IRAs, and Roth.
I didn't notice that before, but it looks like I'm not the only one. They've got a FB post that says it includes IRAs:

Guessing it's an error on the social media ad. Clicking on the link takes me to their promo page, which states:

Code: Select all

Eligible accounts include the following Brokerage Accounts: Individual, Joint and Custodial.

This offer does not apply to IRA Accounts (Traditional IRA, Roth IRA and Rollover IRA) and Entity Accounts (Partnerships, Corporate, LLC, Trust and Investment Clubs).
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

BashDash wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:22 am Placeholder: Thanks for the reply. Was this hassle free? All info transferred correctly? I'm assuming when making the transfer you just check the holdings that you want to move. I don't have quite enough in those two etfs so I supposed I could do this with the few remaining individual stocks I own.
It was generally pretty good with the only hitch being that it couldn't verify my ssn through the questions from a credit report so I had to upload a copy of a document but the transfer was easy and the cost basis has updated correctly.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

pre wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:52 pm

Guessing it's an error on the social media ad. Clicking on the link takes me to their promo page, which states:

Eligible accounts include the following Brokerage Accounts: Individual, Joint and Custodial.

This offer does not apply to IRA Accounts (Traditional IRA, Roth IRA and Rollover IRA) and Entity Accounts (Partnerships, Corporate, LLC, Trust and Investment Clubs).
Their prior offer includes IRAs earlier this fall but when they extended it they dropped the IRA part of the bonus.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

need403bhelp wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:28 am
pre wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:52 pm

Their prior offer includes IRAs earlier this fall but when they extended it they dropped the IRA part of the bonus.
Ah, that makes sense, I think I had last seen that one in Dec. and maybe it still included IRAs at that time.
hmw

Post by hmw »

Is Etrade bonus churnable? Does it have a look back period? Thanks
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I haven't been able to find a way to view the tax lot details at tastyworks just the overall cost basis so before I ping the customer service I figured I would check here.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

placeholder wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:08 pm I haven't been able to find a way to view the tax lot details at tastyworks just the overall cost basis so before I ping the customer service I figured I would check here.
You should be able to set up an apex clearinghouse account and see the tax lots.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I have an existing Tastyworks account, created a year ago to nab their $500 bonus at the time. I left the account open (with 10 cents) to get a 1099. Obviously, I am currently considered an existing customer and this precludes me from partaking in their current, more favorable bonus.

But it has me wondering. ... if I close the account, can I open a new one at some point in the future and be considered a new customer at that time? Or will I forever be considered an "existing" customer, even if I have no accounts there?
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

Kookaburra wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:48 pm I have an existing Tastyworks account, created a year ago to nab their $500 bonus at the time. I left the account open (with 10 cents) to get a 1099. Obviously, I am currently considered an existing customer and this precludes me from partaking in their current, more favorable bonus.

But it has me wondering. ... if I close the account, can I open a new one at some point in the future and be considered a new customer at that time? Or will I forever be considered an "existing" customer, even if I have no accounts there?
I did the same, and left 2 cents behind, just to have access to the account just in case. Curious to know if closing the account would allow me to repeat the process in the future. It was an easy $500.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

veggivet wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:23 pm
Kookaburra wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:48 pm I have an existing Tastyworks account, created a year ago to nab their $500 bonus at the time. I left the account open (with 10 cents) to get a 1099. Obviously, I am currently considered an existing customer and this precludes me from partaking in their current, more favorable bonus.

I did the same, and left 2 cents behind, just to have access to the account just in case. Curious to know if closing the account would allow me to repeat the process in the future. It was an easy $500.
Ask them?
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

need403bhelp wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:15 pm You should be able to set up an apex clearinghouse account and see the tax lots.
Yes and I did that already for public so I'd rather not go through it again.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

placeholder wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:57 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:15 pm You should be able to set up an apex clearinghouse account and see the tax lots.
Yes and I did that already for public so I'd rather not go through it again.
You don't have a choice if you want to see the tax lots.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

hmw wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:18 pm Is Etrade bonus churnable? Does it have a look back period? Thanks
Yes, it's churnable. DW just opened a Roth IRA for a new account bonus. She previously got a bonus on a traditional IRA in October 2021 and closed that account in Feb 2022 after the required hold period elapsed. We got the acknowledgement email confirming that the new account qualified for the bonus. Other than that I can't tell you what the look-back period is. I don't think it's relevant that the earlier IRA was traditional and the new one is Roth.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

spammagnet wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:50 pm
hmw wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:18 pm Is Etrade bonus churnable? Does it have a look back period? Thanks
Yes, it's churnable. DW just opened a Roth IRA for a new account bonus. She previously got a bonus on a traditional IRA in October 2021 and closed that account in Feb 2022 after the required hold period elapsed. We got the acknowledgement email confirming that the new account qualified for the bonus. Other than that I can't tell you what the look-back period is. I don't think it's relevant that the earlier IRA was traditional and the new one is Roth.
Also, it's always best to check the terms and conditions of the particular offer. A brokerage is within it's rights to change the terms, including look back and/or once in a lifetime conditions. And maybe Morgan Stanley will tell its subsidiary Etrade to offer less generous terms.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

sycamore wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:45 am
spammagnet wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:50 pm
Also, it's always best to check the terms and conditions of the particular offer. A brokerage is within it's rights to change the terms, including look back and/or once in a lifetime conditions. And maybe Morgan Stanley will tell its subsidiary Etrade to offer less generous terms.
The offer we're using was through the link at DoC (https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... ra-cfc3500) differs in the bonus amount for the $500K-$999K range ($1,800) than what you'll find ($1,500) if you search publicly (https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how-it-works/promo). In fact, it differs from the amount posted in DoC's page describing it, despite the fact I informed them otherwise. (My comments seem to be ignored there.) The E-Trade customer support staff we spoke to over the weekend couldn't find it, either, but it was confirmed by the automated email from E-Trade after the process completed.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I've been consolidating my etrade and ally accounts along with my merrill edge taxable to garner bonuses:

1. 500k+ to public for 5k of which 2k has been delivered.
2. 100k+ to tastyworks for 2k which has been paid.
3. 100k+ to firstrade for 700 which has just completed the transfer and not paid yet.

I still have a bit over 250k at merrill that I was planning to send to tradestation for 1k but I got a voicemail and email from a merrill rep to "discuss my account" so I replied to the email about this last transfer plan to see if they'll match it just to leave it which would be okay.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

placeholder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:38 am I've been consolidating my etrade and ally accounts along with my merrill edge taxable to garner bonuses:

3. 100k+ to firstrade for 700 which has just completed the transfer and not paid yet.

I still have a bit over 250k at merrill that I was planning to send to tradestation for 1k but I got a voicemail and email from a merrill rep to "discuss my account" so I replied to the email about this last transfer plan to see if they'll match it just to leave it which would be okay.
Public will very likely give you $2500 for that $250k if you live chat them, since you already did a transfer before 12/31/2022
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:41 am Public will very likely give you $2500 for that $250k if you live chat them, since you already did a transfer before 12/31/2022
Their current bonus schedule is much lower so 250k gets you 1k there as well.

https://help.public.com/en/articles/649 ... er-account
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

placeholder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:09 am
nalor511 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:41 am Public will very likely give you $2500 for that $250k if you live chat them, since you already did a transfer before 12/31/2022
Their current bonus schedule is much lower so 250k gets you 1k there as well.

https://help.public.com/en/articles/649 ... er-account
Try it or don't. I did.
pre

Post by pre »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:41 am
placeholder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:38 am I've been consolidating my etrade and ally accounts along with my merrill edge taxable to garner bonuses:

Public will very likely give you $2500 for that $250k if you live chat them, since you already did a transfer before 12/31/2022
Thanks for sharing this -- by live chat, do you mean sending them a message/email in the app? I don't quite see a "live chat" feature.

And may I ask when you inquired about a second transfer? I did my initial transfer back in November, but would gladly consider another transfer
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

pre wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:53 am

Thanks for sharing this -- by live chat, do you mean sending them a message/email in the app? I don't quite see a "live chat" feature.

And may I ask when you inquired about a second transfer? I did my initial transfer back in November, but would gladly consider another transfer
Yes, messages in the app, I guess they respond quickly enough that I thought it was live chat. Whoops. They told me as long as I got my second transfer in by the end of Jan, I would get the old tiers, but that they would only do that because I got my first transfer in before 12/31. I said thanks, how about until the end of April? They said sure. They are very flexible. Just ask for what you want, worst they can say is 'no'
pre

Post by pre »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:19 pm

Yes, messages in the app, I guess they respond quickly enough that I thought it was live chat. Whoops. They told me as long as I got my second transfer in by the end of Jan, I would get the old tiers, but that they would only do that because I got my first transfer in before 12/31. I said thanks, how about until the end of April? They said sure. They are very flexible. Just ask for what you want, worst they can say is 'no'
Thanks for the tip, I managed to get in on the same tiers as last year.

Front line rep mentioned the updated terms for 2023, I stated I already transferred in last year and would appreciate matching those terms. Waited a few hours before a senior rep took over and agreed to match, but with a longer holding period (1-year for $5k for $500k). She asked if I could transfer next week, I said I'd need some time, hopefully March and she consented.

I was planning on doing some smaller bonuses with shorter holding periods, but $5k for much less work might be preferable.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I'll try to give it a chance.
itsbogletime

Post by itsbogletime »

to you or anyone who has public. Do you know if they will allow you to buy VUSXX? So far I know Fidelity won't let you buy it, E-Trade will. Thanks
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

What are the latest active bonus offers?
tj

Post by tj »

itsbogletime wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:34 pm

to you or anyone who has public. Do you know if they will allow you to buy VUSXX? So far I know Fidelity won't let you buy it, E-Trade will. Thanks
You can't buy any mutual fund at Public.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Kookaburra wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:38 pm What are the latest active bonus offers?
How much do you have to transfer and what type of account?
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

placeholder wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:26 pm
Kookaburra wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:38 pm What are the latest active bonus offers?
Anywhere between $0 and $1M. Taxable brokerage and IRA.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Kookaburra wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:58 pm
placeholder wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:26 pm
Anywhere between $0 and $1M. Taxable brokerage and IRA.
If you did public, they'll very likely match last year's tiers, and maybe if you didn't (just ask, they've given me everything I asked for so far)
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Where do people transfer assets to (for a bonus) that also reimburses ACAT fees from the outgoing brokerage?
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Kookaburra wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:58 pm Anywhere between $0 and $1M. Taxable brokerage and IRA.
Are you going to want to transfer everything to one custodian or are you willing to split things up and to what degree?