What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Jags4186

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Jags4186 »

erp wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:28 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:46 pm The way I understand it is that Curve pays for the charge then charges your card. Curve passes through the MCC of the original purchase. Let’s say you buy a coffee at Starbucks. It posts to your credit card as CRV STARBUCKS. I assume Curve makes money from selling transaction data.

I wouldn’t rely on Curve for a large purchase like an appliance that you want say credit card extended warranty. But for restaurants, groceries, gas, regular purchases it’s not a bad deal for someone with card rotation fatigue.
What about paying taxes at eg pay1040.com? Is it a debit card fee but you get the points/miles on your mastercard CC!?

eta: oh I'm reading in the US it's a CC, but in the UK it's a debit card
Correct it acts as credit. In fact they give you a $500 line of credit (no hard credit check) in the event a charge is declined.

Edit:

Reading Reddit, you can’t use Curve USA at ATMs for cash withdrawals from you ATM card.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cash is King

Post by Cash is King »

We try to keep it simple with cash back cards.

4% Gas - 3% travel and restaurants- Citi Costco Anywhere Visa
2% everything else - Fidelity Rewards Visa

Amex Delta is the exception. We keep it for the annual companion ticket, and the reimbursement for global entry.

A free companion ticket covers the $295 annual fee. We use the companion pass every year.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks for the help on my shop your way question ! Another one now...I'm looking for a card with a cell phone insurance ...when reading a points blog I read that chase freedom flex has it ...I already have this card in my sock drawer..... although mine does not say flex....is chase freedom the same as the flex? Thanks!
mreed911

Post by mreed911 »

2% cashback - primary for everything unless there's a Chase/Citi/Amex offer worth more (% cash back, etc.).

My no-fee Citi AA card for major purchases right now - it's offering 0% interest for 6 months on flex pay. Easy enough to move the purchase amount to a sweep fund and earn a bit of interest on it, paying out over six months with autopay.
safari

Post by safari »

BashDash wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:05 pm Thanks for the help on my shop your way question ! Another one now...I'm looking for a card with a cell phone insurance ...when reading a points blog I read that chase freedom flex has it ...I already have this card in my sock drawer..... although mine does not say flex....is chase freedom the same as the flex? Thanks!
Wells Fargo Active Cash Visa offers cell phone insurance. It has 2% cashback on everything and gives $200 sign up bonus with $0 annual fee.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

BashDash wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:05 pm Thanks for the help on my shop your way question ! Another one now...I'm looking for a card with a cell phone insurance ...when reading a points blog I read that chase freedom flex has it ...I already have this card in my sock drawer..... although mine does not say flex....is chase freedom the same as the flex? Thanks!
Freedom Flex is different than Freedom. Freedom does not have cell phone insurance. You can call and have your converted. If your Freedom card is a Visa, you will be converted to Mastercard. Only loss is you can’t use it at Costco.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Jags4186 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:12 pm
Freedom Flex is different than Freedom. Freedom does not have cell phone insurance. You can call and have your converted. If your Freedom card is a Visa, you will be converted to Mastercard. Only loss is you can’t use it at Costco.
Another loss is you don't get the pretty easy $200 bonus if you convert, rather than sign up for a new Flex.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

mega317 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:54 am
Another loss is you don't get the pretty easy $200 bonus if you convert, rather than sign up for a new Flex.
Usually doesn’t make sense to sign up for Freedom Flex at all.
You’re better off getting the Sapphire Preferred with an 80/90/100k bonus then downgrade to the freedom after a year. Because of 5/24 you shouldn’t be signing up for cards with under $500 SUBs until you’re over 5/24, then go haywire.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Jags4186 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:05 pm I recently signed up for Curve Card. This is a card that allows you to link Visa Debit, Mastercard Debit & Credit, and Discover Devit & Credit cards. ...
This is interesting but where are the card-type restrictions described? I can't find that on their web site. As someone else commented, the majority of our accounts are Visa credit, making the Curve card just another credit card for me to decide whether I want to use it for a particular purchase.
beezlebub

Post by beezlebub »

I wish I had read the fine print on the Bank of America Travel Rewards card. I assumed the cash back points would be 1:1 like the Cash Rewards card — nope. The Travel card’s points are only 1:1 when redeemed for travel and dining and in $25 increments; if you want to redeem for cash you only get $0.006 per point, and cash redemptions is via a check in the mail.

The plan is to just get the 25,000 promotional points after spending $1k and then locking and throwing this card away, it’s by far the worst “cash back” card I’ve personally come across.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

spammagnet wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:45 am
Jags4186 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:05 pm I recently signed up for Curve Card. This is a card that allows you to link Visa Debit, Mastercard Debit & Credit, and Discover Devit & Credit cards. ...
This is interesting but where are the card-type restrictions described? I can't find that on their web site. As someone else commented, the majority of our accounts are Visa credit, making the Curve card just another credit card for me to decide whether I want to use it for a particular purchase.
So obviously not perfect. But for my use case at the moment it’s pretty good. I have 2x Chase Freedom Flex linked, 2x Citi Custom Cash linked, 2x Shop Your Way MCs linked, Discover IT, and Citi Double Cash. I don’t need to carry around all these 5x rotating category cards anymore.

I have a U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa that I’ll use if I want extended warranty benefits or if it’s unbonused spend that I can use Apple Pay with. I now just carry my Curve Card, Altitude Reserve, debit card, and license with me but have access to 10 physical cards.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:06 am... So obviously not perfect. But for my use case at the moment it’s pretty good. ...
If it worked with Visa credit I'd switch everything to it and drop Paypal, used for similar reasons.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

beezlebub wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:03 am I wish I had read the fine print on the Bank of America Travel Rewards card. I assumed the cash back points would be 1:1 like the Cash Rewards card — nope. The Travel card’s points are only 1:1 when redeemed for travel and dining and in $25 increments; if you want to redeem for cash you only get $0.006 per point, and cash redemptions is via a check in the mail.

The plan is to just get the 25,000 promotional points after spending $1k and then locking and throwing this card away, it’s by far the worst “cash back” card I’ve personally come across.
If you have the BoA Premium Rewards card you can transfer points from the BoA Travel Rewards and then can trade in points for 100 = $1 cash back, so 25k pts = $250. Maybe you can nab that card next and get the $500 sign up bonus, though there is a $95 annual fee.
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

index245 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:32 am
tj wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:56 pm
JenniferW wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:55 pm My latest strategy, besides sign up bonuses/churning is to get cards with 15 months 0% APR on purchases. Instead of paying off the balance each month in full, I pay the bare minimum payment .. say $50 to $100 per month. By doing this, I instead deposit the cash I would of used to pay off the balance, into a money market account yielding 4.4%. Say the credit card limit is $8000.. I might keep the card close $8000 for 12 months or more since it's 0% interest.. so I'd instead be getting 4.4% income on $8000 for a year for free. Then I pay off the credit card in full just before the 15 month APR intro offer expires.
I'm assuming this lowers your credit score?
It certainly would. That said, it doesn't matter unless you're applying for a mortgage. If a credit card declines you, no big deal.
Holding the $8000 for a year gets you around $360. You can find cards that give bigger sign on bonuses. If you’ve already tapped out those, this might be worth it.

Although I’m curious how many of these you have going at one time.
N3on

Post by N3on »

Bilt Mastercard - Rent only. They require 5 total swipes per month to get points for paying rent, so I put minor reoccurring monthly charges on this card (iCloud storage, Spotify, YouTube premium). Sockdrawer besides this.
Target RedCard - I work at Target so I get the employee discount (10%, plus 20% off fruit/veg) on top of the 5% regular discount. Do most of my grocery/misc household shopping there.
Delta Skymiles Reserve Amex - Use for flights, checked bags and lounge access. Will sockdrawer after I hit the spending requirement for the SUB.
Amex Blue Cash Everyday - All non-Target grocery spend, plus gas and any online shopping.
Fidelity Rewards Visa - Use for anything else.

I only carry the Fidelity Visa and BCE in my wallet. Bilt and Delta Reserve are sockdrawer cards. Have the Redcard on the Target app.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:04 am
beezlebub wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:03 am I wish I had read the fine print on the Bank of America Travel Rewards card. I assumed the cash back points would be 1:1 like the Cash Rewards card — nope. The Travel card’s points are only 1:1 when redeemed for travel and dining and in $25 increments; if you want to redeem for cash you only get $0.006 per point, and cash redemptions is via a check in the mail.

If you have the BoA Premium Rewards card you can transfer points from the BoA Travel Rewards and then can trade in points for 100 = $1 cash back, so 25k pts = $250. Maybe you can nab that card next and get the $500 sign up bonus, though there is a $95 annual fee.
Having just had a +2% bonus on my Travel Rewards card for 9 months and transferring all the points to my BoA Premium Rewards card (making it a 4.625% cash back card, and 6.625% cash back on that bonus day in November), I beg to differ with anyone who calls this the worst cash back card they have come across.
tj

Post by tj »

ZinCO wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:51 pm

Having just had a +2% bonus on my Travel Rewards card for 9 months and transferring all the points to my BoA Premium Rewards card (making it a 4.625% cash back card, and 6.625% cash back on that bonus day in November), I beg to differ with anyone who calls this the worst cash back card they have come across.

How did you get +2% for 9 months?
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

tj wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:55 pm

It was a random e-mail offer I got from them back in March 2022. The card had been sock-drawered for several years, but I read about others who received the same offer on other active BoA cards (Alaska Airlines cards in particular) so I certainly wasn't alone. Sadly no idea how to trigger something like that; given that I charged over $100k on that card last year with the bonus, I don't anticipate getting that offer again.
tj

Post by tj »

ZinCO wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:59 pm

It was a random e-mail offer I got from them back in March 2022. The card had been sock-drawered for several years, but I read about others who received the same offer on other active BoA cards (Alaska Airlines cards in particular) so I certainly wasn't alone. Sadly no idea how to trigger something like that; given that I charged over $100k on that card last year with the bonus, I don't anticipate getting that offer again.
Interesting - I haven't used the Travel card in years - not since I got the Premium. No such targeted offer was sent ot me.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ZinCO wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:59 pm

$100k! :beer
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Is it likely that shop your way credit card will code a mulch company as " home improvement"
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:35 am
You’re better off getting the Sapphire Preferred with an 80/90/100k bonus then downgrade to the freedom after a year. Because of 5/24 you shouldn’t be signing up for cards with under $500 SUBs until you’re over 5/24, then go haywire.
If you already have Freedom, you can keep it, add Freedom Flex, get the bonus and also be able to get 100% more 5% category spending by registering both cards each quarter (assuming you are under 5/24) If you have a Sapphire card you can transfer your points from Freedom to Sapphire for higher travel benefits.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

protagonist wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:16 pm
If you already have Freedom, you can keep it, add Freedom Flex, get the bonus and also be able to get 100% more 5% category spending by registering both cards each quarter (assuming you are under 5/24) If you have a Sapphire card you can transfer your points from Freedom to Sapphire for higher travel benefits.
I get what you’re suggesting, I think it’s better to sign up for a Sapphire card then convert that to a Freedom rather than sign up for a freedom. If you get a 100k bonus that’s 80k
More than you’re getting with the Freedom Flex and years worth of 5x spend. I keep a Chase Ink Preferred to gain access to transfer partners.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I know lots of folks like the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% on groceries. I’d suggest everyone check out the AAA Daily Rewards Visa. It is a no annual fee card that offers 5% back on grocery spend up to $10k/yr. Comes with a small $100 sign up bonus, but IMO is strictly better than the Blue Cash Preferred. It also offers 3% back on gas, streaming, club stores (Costco). The gas and club store spend also rolls up to that $10k limit.

There’s also the AAA Travel Rewards Visa that has 5% cashback on gas and EV charging up to $7k/yr and 3% on grocery, gas, restaurants, and travel.

You can only have one or the other so each spouse could sign up for either or you could grab 2 of the daily cards if you are a heavy grocery/Costco shopper.

No FTFs on either card.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Jags4186 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:03 pm

I get what you’re suggesting, I think it’s better to sign up for a Sapphire card then convert that to a Freedom rather than sign up for a freedom. If you get a 100k bonus that’s 80k
More than you’re getting with the Freedom Flex and years worth of 5x spend. I keep a Chase Ink Preferred to gain access to transfer partners.
I agree completely! Sapphire allows you to get way more bang for the buck out of your Freedom points for travel. But why not do both if you are not beyond 5/24? Applying for Flex does not preclude getting Sapphire.

I have Freedom, Freedom Flex, Freedom Unlimited and Sapphire Reserve. They work together.
Last edited by protagonist on Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

protagonist wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:18 am
I agree completely! Sapphire allows you to get way more bang for the buck out of your Freedom points for travel. But why not do both if you are not beyond 5/24? Applying for Flex does not preclude getting Sapphire.
Because Freedom Flex uses up a 5/24 slot. I’d rather get another card from Chase vs. a 20k UR bonus. For example, I’d much prefer 175k IHG points or 80k UA points or 60k WOH points (or all 3) to 20k UR.

In short, I don’t sign up for cards with $200 SUBs unless there is some other compelling reason — like when BOA let you sign up for 10+ of the same card at $200 a pop.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:19 am
protagonist wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:18 am

Because Freedom Flex uses up a 5/24 slot. I’d rather get another card from another lender that had more than a 20k bonus or even another card from Chase.
That might make sense for you, not knowing your situation. The promotions give you much more bang for the buck than day to day spending.
You can always get another Chase card sometime in the future.
Something to keep in mind, if you travel:
Your UR points via Freedom are worth 33% more if transferred to Sapphire Preferred and 50% more if transferred to Sapphire Reserve, for travel. That makes the freedom cards much more valuable.
And the Freedom cards have no annual fees...you can keep them forever.

But you need to figure out what works best for your needs.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Is there a web tool where one can input annual spending behavior (restaurants, travel, groceries, etc) and get recommends for cards based on preference for cash back, mileage, etc?

I am not interested in more than one card - too complicated for me to carry a huge stack of cards and figure out which one to use at every transaction.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

snackdog wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:29 am Is there a web tool where one can input annual spending behavior (restaurants, travel, groceries, etc) and get recommends for cards based on preference for cash back, mileage, etc?

I am not interested in more than one card - too complicated for me to carry a huge stack of cards and figure out which one to use at every transaction.
If you only want to carry 1 card then your best bet is a 2% cash back card like citi.

If you are willing to keep $100K in investments at Merrill Edge you can get a Bank of America rewards card that will get you 2.625% cash back on all purchases.

1 card, no hassle.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

snackdog wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:29 am Is there a web tool where one can input annual spending behavior (restaurants, travel, groceries, etc) and get recommends for cards based on preference for cash back, mileage, etc?

I'd suggest that you keep at least one freebie card (different network, e.g., Visa if main card is Mastercard) on hand in case main card is compromised or the network is down (rare, but "just in case").
... and *especially* if you are traveling, and "especially especially" if you are doing foreign travel.

We are active users of charge cards and awards travel, and we "play the bonus game", but we don't bother with the "Card A for X, and Card B for Y". Seems crazy-making, but some think the entire awards procedures are crazy-making, so "To each, its own!" :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

My old IHG CC ($89/year) will have an anniversary in mid-April. Ideally, I'd like to cancel this card and apply for a new IHG CC that offers 175k points. However:
1. If I cancel it now, I'll lose my free anniversary night.
2. I have booked a points-based stay (4 nights with the 4th night free) with this card later in the year.

My questions:
1. If I cancel the card after I get a free anniversary night, can I get the annual fee back and still keep the anniversary night?
2. If I cancel the card before my points-based stay, will I lose my reservation? Will my reservation become more expensive?

Thank you,
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Bogleheads.org - type it into a message in this thread and you might get free expert advice :)
rene

Post by rene »

VictoriaF wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:23 pm My old IHG CC ($89/year) will have an anniversary in mid-April. Ideally, I'd like to cancel this card and apply for a new IHG CC that offers 175k points. However:
2. I have booked a points-based stay (4 nights with the 4th night free) with this card later in the year.

My questions:
1. If I cancel the card after I get a free anniversary night, can I get the annual fee back and still keep the anniversary night?
2. If I cancel the card before my points-based stay, will I lose my reservation? Will my reservation become more expensive?

Thank you,
Victoria
Don’t have the answer but suggest you check with flyertalk forum. Extremely knowledgeable folks over there.
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

VictoriaF wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:23 pm My old IHG CC ($89/year) will have an anniversary in mid-April. Ideally, I'd like to cancel this card and apply for a new IHG CC that offers 175k points. However:

My questions:

Thank you,
Victoria
1. I cancelled my card last year within the 30 day grace period of the annual fee posting after the anniversary night posted into my IHG account and was able to keep the anniversary night. I don't believe there is a "clawback" mechanism since Chase would be tampering with your IHG account if they were able to take it back. I know Chase/Hyatt added a new rule a few years ago to combat this in that they don't post your anniversary free night until after about 30 days your annual fee posts.

2. My best guess is your reservation will not be affected because when you made the reservation they already verified you have the card, deducted your points, and confirmed your reservation. The only way IHG would be able to do this is to run a nightly process to identify all reservations made with the benefit, and cross check to see if the reservation still has an active card, if not then cancel the reservation. I doubt IHG IT is that sophisticated, I recall it took them a few years to implement a strong password requirement for their member accounts as it was based on a few digit numeric pins for the longest time.
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

I think I read somewhere the new IHG/Chase Bonus points rule - If you got a promotional offer in the past with a personal IHG/Chase card, you wont be eligible for a new promotional offer, even if you get approved of the card. Does not apply to Business IHG cards.

You may want to call IHG customer service on this.

My questions:

Thank you,
Victoria
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:36 am

If you only want to carry 1 card then your best bet is a 2% cash back card like citi.

If you are willing to keep $100K in investments at Merrill Edge you can get a Bank of America rewards card that will get you 2.625% cash back on all purchases.

1 card, no hassle.
There is also Alliant Credit union that gives you 2.5% on first $10,000 per month without the need to deal with BoA or maintain $100,000 in yet another account. So one card, one bank and one brokerage account. This helped me consolidate with Alliant for banking and Vanguard for brokerage.
Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad »

Blue456 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:58 am There is also Alliant Credit union that gives you 2.5% on first $10,000 per month without the need to deal with BoA or maintain $100,000 in yet another account. So one card, one bank and one brokerage account. This helped me consolidate with Alliant for banking and Vanguard for brokerage.
For me, the main downsides of this is that you have to maintain $1000 in their checking account at a seemingly low interest rate, and the cash back is limited to $10,000 of purchases a month.

I also see reports that tax payments and gift cards (e.g. from giftcards.com) are excluded.

Since tax payments and rent are my biggest largest expenses by far, and BoA Premium Rewards gives me 3.5% back on rent with Platinum Honors, the Alliant card doesn't make much sense for me.

However, for most people, it's probably a good deal.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Jags4186 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:05 pm I know lots of folks like the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% on groceries. I’d suggest everyone check out the AAA Daily Rewards Visa. It is a no annual fee card that offers 5% back on grocery spend up to $10k/yr. Comes with a small $100 sign up bonus, but IMO is strictly better than the Blue Cash Preferred. It also offers 3% back on gas, streaming, club stores (Costco). The gas and club store spend also rolls up to that $10k limit.

There’s also the AAA Travel Rewards Visa that has 5% cashback on gas and EV charging up to $7k/yr and 3% on grocery, gas, restaurants, and travel.

You can only have one or the other so each spouse could sign up for either or you could grab 2 of the daily cards if you are a heavy grocery/Costco shopper.

No FTFs on either card.
Do you have to be an AAA member? I don't see a card with that name. Is it regional?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:14 am
Jags4186 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:05 pm I know lots of folks like the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% on groceries. I’d suggest everyone check out the AAA Daily Rewards Visa. It is a no annual fee card that offers 5% back on grocery spend up to $10k/yr. Comes with a small $100 sign up bonus, but IMO is strictly better than the Blue Cash Preferred. It also offers 3% back on gas, streaming, club stores (Costco). The gas and club store spend also rolls up to that $10k limit.

No FTFs on either card.
Do you have to be an AAA member? I don't see a card with that name. Is it regional?
You do not need to be a AAA member and I was able to sign up for it out of region as a non-AAA member.

Here is the link I used to sign up.

https://northeast.aaa.com/financial/mor ... 7381248804
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:02 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:14 am

No FTFs on either card.
You do not need to be a AAA member and I was able to sign up for it out of region as a non-AAA member.

Here is the link I used to sign up.

https://northeast.aaa.com/financial/mor ... 7381248804
Thanks

I was considering getting the Costco Visa but this will probably work out better for me. It will be the first credit card in years I get that doesn't have $500+ bonus. But you have to think about the long run too.
jnw

Post by jnw »

I don't travel much so I am focusing on Cashback cards. I have three cards I like and two I am interested in getting.

The three I have:
1) Citi Custom Cash. For 5% cash back at grocery stores including Aldi and occasionally: Trade Joe's, Sprouts and Whole Foos for certain things. Also for 5% cash back from local discount grocer where I buy our meats from -- at 30-40% discount in price compared to Aldi/Walmart/Sams; chest freezer is handy as I buy 20-40 pounds at a time when I run across deals like this.

2) Discover It Cashback. For 5% cash back in rotating categories (10% cash back the first year). You can pretty much hack 5% cash back year round for Walmart, Sams Club & Auto Fuel (at Sams Club), via Sams/Walmart gift card purchases, which you can get inside Sams Club, at Walmart.com and Paypal.com. Also can get 5% cashback 1/4 of the year for Paypal purchases which can include purchasing many gift cards at discounts from gift card sites.

3) Chase Amazon Prime for 3-5% cashback, depending whether or not I have the free month of prime or prime for $1.99 for the week. I don't pay the yearly sub and try to avoid paying monthly as well. (I just binge watch the good prime shows -- like Marvelous Mrs. Maisel -- when I get a free month or decide to buy Prime for $1.99 for the week. Also I just let $25 of items accumulate in the cart to get the free shipping. I find items don't arrive any sooner anymore with the Prime membership, or if they do it doesn't really matter because I am in no hurry to spend.)

The two I want:
4) USBank Cash+. For 5% cash back on Home Utilities (omg) along with an additional custom 5% category.

5) Fidelity 2% cash back card. Wells Fargo Active Cash is perhaps better because it has a $200 sign up bonus but the Elan Fidelity card is better for selling tradelines -- in case I ever want to do that later (haven't done it yet).

If anyone can suggest another card please me know. Again, I rarely travel. Btw, it is currently hard for me to max out the $1500 per quarter for the Discover It card, otherwise the addition of Chase Freedom Flex would be probably useful -- I don't spend that much at Walmart, Sams and Auto Fuel each month (rarely drive). I might try and max the $1500 quarterly on Discover It by paying my mortage lender with a money order I get from Walmart using a Walmart/Sams gift card (which I bought at a 5% discount) -- I am going to ask them tomorrow if they would take a Walmart money order; this way I can max the $1500 quarterly with ease.

EDIT: One other thing I am doing is taking advantage of the 0% APR for 15 months on purchases on any new cards that let me. I put the money instead into federal money market and then will pay off the credit card balance in full just before the 15 months are up. This increases my utilization but I am still under 20% so that's good enough for me. (Btw, I never pay a dime of interest nor bank/credit card fees.)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

boogiehead wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:14 pm

My questions:

Thank you,
Victoria
1. I cancelled my card last year within the 30 day grace period of the annual fee posting after the anniversary night posted into my IHG account and was able to keep the anniversary night. I don't believe there is a "clawback" mechanism since Chase would be tampering with your IHG account if they were able to take it back. I know Chase/Hyatt added a new rule a few years ago to combat this in that they don't post your anniversary free night until after about 30 days your annual fee posts.

2. My best guess is your reservation will not be affected because when you made the reservation they already verified you have the card, deducted your points, and confirmed your reservation. The only way IHG would be able to do this is to run a nightly process to identify all reservations made with the benefit, and cross check to see if the reservation still has an active card, if not then cancel the reservation. I doubt IHG IT is that sophisticated, I recall it took them a few years to implement a strong password requirement for their member accounts as it was based on a few digit numeric pins for the longest time.
boogiehead,

Thank you very much! I'll wait for the anniversary night to post in my IHG account, and then will cancel the Chase-IHG card, if it's still within 30 days of the fee posting.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:20 am I think I read somewhere the new IHG/Chase Bonus points rule - If you got a promotional offer in the past with a personal IHG/Chase card, you wont be eligible for a new promotional offer, even if you get approved of the card. Does not apply to Business IHG cards.

You may want to call IHG customer service on this.

My questions:

Thank you,
Victoria
Thank you, grtwallchina75,

From what I've read, I would not get a bonus on a new card if I received a bonus on an old card within the last 24 months. The bonus on my current IHG-personal card is over 24 months old, and so that would not be a problem. My "problem" is that I don't want to cancel this card until I get a free anniversary card, which will happen in a couple weeks.

I decided to apply for an IHG-business card now to get 140k points before April 5, 2023. An additional advantage of this is that business cards don't count towards the Chase 5/24 rule.

If I get a free anniversary night on the IHG-personal card within 30 days of its renewal, I'll cancel the personal card for a refund. I'll then wait to apply for another IHG-personal card when it again offers a high bonus.

Victoria
avidracer

Post by avidracer »

JenniferW wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:54 pm I don't travel much so I am focusing on Cashback cards. I have three cards I like and two I am interested in getting.
The two I want:
4) USBank Cash+. For 5% cash back on Home Utilities (omg) along with an additional custom 5% category.
Thanks for highlighting this. I did not realize about the % for Home Utilities on USB Cash+. I do now see it listed in my card and plan to use this for utilities. :sharebeer I was thinking about going the route of Chase Ink business just for utilities alone, but looks like I wont have to go that route. By any chance is this fixed, or rotating category at USB - can anyone that might have been actively using this chime in?
jnw

Post by jnw »

avidracer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:19 pm
JenniferW wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:54 pm I don't travel much so I am focusing on Cashback cards. I have three cards I like and two I am interested in getting.
The two I want:
Thanks for highlighting this. I did not realize about the % for Home Utilities on USB Cash+. I do now see it listed in my card and plan to use this for utilities. :sharebeer I was thinking about going the route of Chase Ink business just for utilities alone, but looks like I wont have to go that route. By any chance is this fixed, or rotating category at USB - can anyone that might have been actively using this chime in?
From what I've heard it seems to always be available each quarter, but I guess they could change it later if they want.
Fennec

Post by Fennec »

beezlebub wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:03 am The plan is to just get the 25,000 promotional points after spending $1k and then locking and throwing this card away, it’s by far the worst “cash back” card I’ve personally come across.
After one year of holding the card, you can call to product change it to the BoA Customized Cash Rewards card and select your 3% category (I choose online shopping).
Cruz

Post by Cruz »

The three I have:
1) Citi Custom Cash. For 5% cash back at grocery stores including Aldi and occasionally: Trade Joe's, Sprouts and Whole Foos for certain things. Also for 5% cash back from local discount grocer where I buy our meats from -- at 30-40% discount in price compared to Aldi/Walmart/Sams; chest freezer is handy as I buy 20-40 pounds at a time when I run across deals like this.

2) Discover It Cashback. For 5% cash back in rotating categories (10% cash back the first year). You can pretty much hack 5% cash back year round for Walmart, Sams Club & Auto Fuel (at Sams Club), via Sams/Walmart gift card purchases, which you can get inside Sams Club, at Walmart.com and Paypal.com. Also can get 5% cashback 1/4 of the year for Paypal purchases which can include purchasing many gift cards at discounts from gift card sites.

3) Chase Amazon Prime for 3-5% cashback, depending whether or not I have the free month of prime or prime for $1.99 for the week. I don't pay the yearly sub and try to avoid paying monthly as well. (I just binge watch the good prime shows -- like Marvelous Mrs. Maisel -- when I get a free month or decide to buy Prime for $1.99 for the week. Also I just let $25 of items accumulate in the cart to get the free shipping. I find items don't arrive any sooner anymore with the Prime membership, or if they do it doesn't really matter because I am in no hurry to spend.)

The two I want:

5) Fidelity 2% cash back card. Wells Fargo Active Cash is perhaps better because it has a $200 sign up bonus but the Elan Fidelity card is better for selling tradelines -- in case I ever want to do that later (haven't done it yet).

If anyone can suggest another card please me know. Again, I rarely travel. Btw, it is currently hard for me to max out the $1500 per quarter for the Discover It card, otherwise the addition of Chase Freedom Flex would be probably useful -- I don't spend that much at Walmart, Sams and Auto Fuel each month (rarely drive). I might try and max the $1500 quarterly on Discover It by paying my mortage lender with a money order I get from Walmart using a Walmart/Sams gift card (which I bought at a 5% discount) -- I am going to ask them tomorrow if they would take a Walmart money order; this way I can max the $1500 quarterly with ease.

EDIT: One other thing I am doing is taking advantage of the 0% APR for 15 months on purchases on any new cards that let me. I put the money instead into federal money market and then will pay off the credit card balance in full just before the 15 months are up. This increases my utilization but I am still under 20% so that's good enough for me. (Btw, I never pay a dime of interest nor bank/credit card fees.)
Paying utilities on a credit card can be tricky so make sure your utilities take a credit card with no additional charge. I think others have noted using PayPal to avoid this and still get cash back. Also, some utilities don't allow autopay with a credit card.
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

Cruz wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:08 pm
Paying utilities on a credit card can be tricky so make sure your utilities take a credit card with no additional charge. I think others have noted using PayPal to avoid this and still get cash back. Also, some utilities don't allow autopay with a credit card.
My internet and land line provider (Centurylink) reserves the right to refuse credit cards they don't like. I'm guessing the 5% cash back on utility cards would fall under that category.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
tj

Post by tj »

Pu239 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:18 pm
Cruz wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:08 pm
My internet and land line provider (Centurylink) reserves the right to refuse credit cards they don't like. I'm guessing the 5% cash back on utility cards would fall under that category.
Centurylink didn't code as a utility for on the US Bank Card. Cox does though.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

None of my utilities, strictly speaking, allow you to pay with a credit card without fees. The closest things that I can pay with a cc are streaming (Sling) and my cell phone. My health insurance (BCBS - which I know is not a utility) won't allow auto pay with a credit card but will allow me to manually pay online each month with one.