What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
michaeljc70

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by michaeljc70 »

vshun wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:16 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:41 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:14 am OK, so I applied for the Citi Premier card and was rejected. I called the "reconsideration" number and they told me that my available credit-to-used credit ratio was too high. Which is true. I have big, unused credit and an 800+ credit score. I've never been rejected before but it was almost as if they realized that I probably was just getting the card for the bonus (which is true). Any suggestions other than just to move on?
Are you saying if you have a total of $80k in available credit it is better to owe $30k than owe $2k? I think you may be misinterpreting what they told you. I believe you can have too high of a utilization or too much total credit but not too low utilization.
I am not that poster but I had identical reason for decline. I guess Citi ML models maybe figured out the category of folks who get the cards for bonus (many cards, low usage). It is quite controversial as traditional denial was for exactly opposite reason.
When I opened the Citi Double card a few years ago, Citi wouldn't open the account without my tax return. My credit score was high and I think they just wanted to deter me and didn't have a good excuse. I gave them the tax return and got the card. In 30 years as an adult and opening probably 50 credit cards that was the only time I had to produce a tax return for a credit card.

I imagine that these financial institutions, like some other businesses, have a score as to how profitable you are as a customer overall.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:16 pm
anon_investor wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:28 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:25 pm A while back they added the option to keep your same categories as the previous quarter, so if you want to do that it only takes one click.
I assume you still have to go in and select they option it before the new quarter though, right? I was just approved for the card yesterday, still waiting to receive the physical card and the ability to select my catagories.
Yes, you do. Takes about 10 seconds if you want to keep the same categories. Takes maybe a couple of minutes if you want to review all the categories again.

I've settled on the same two 5% categories for several quarters now. I have little use for their 2% categories. This card sits in my desk drawer as my two 5% categories are paid online. I probably should put it in my wallet once a year or so to use on some non-bonus purchase, but so far I haven't bothered.
Cool, I plan to use it exclusively for utilities and cell phone bills all paid online, and the card will live in my safe.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:30 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:25 pm A while back they added the option to keep your same categories as the previous quarter, so if you want to do that it only takes one click.
I assume you still have to go in and select they option it before the new quarter though, right? I was just approved for the card yesterday, still waiting to receive the physical card and the ability to select my catagories.
Yes, you do. Takes about 10 seconds if you want to keep the same categories. Takes maybe a couple of minutes if you want to review all the categories again.

I've settled on the same two 5% categories for several quarters now. I have little use for their 2% categories. This card sits in my desk drawer as my two 5% categories are paid online. I probably should put it in my wallet once a year or so to use on some non-bonus purchase, but so far I haven't bothered.
Cool, I plan to use it exclusively for utilities and cell phone bills all paid online, and the card will live in my safe.
Same categories as mine.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:16 pm I've settled on the same two 5% categories for several quarters now. I have little use for their 2% categories. This card sits in my desk drawer as my two 5% categories are paid online. I probably should put it in my wallet once a year or so to use on some non-bonus purchase, but so far I haven't bothered.
As far as usage is calculated there's no difference between in-store and no-card-presented to a CC company.
Money is money after all, the plastic doesn't matter to them much anymore.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:46 pm

Same categories as mine.
Cool, I signed up now since the PayPal 5% bonus is ending on my Chase Freedom/Freedom Flex cards and I was paying my utility bills via PayPal Bill Pay to get 5% cash back. The Cash+ will allow me to get 5% cash back on my utility bills year round!
Volando

Post by Volando »

Is it generally worth it to pursue some of the benefits offered by cards when thinking through a rewards strategy? We have been using the Am Ex Blue Cash Preferred for the last two years and it has worked out well. We've gotten a few hundred $ back from the categories it offers. However, we've shifted almost all of our grocery spending to CostCo since they have better prices on most of what we buy so the AmEx will be losing most of its value from the grocery category. We're thinking of switching the AmEx for the CostCo Card since it has better travel/gas rewards and keeping a flat 2% card, like the WF Active Cash for everything else. One downside to switching would be losing out on some of the AmEx benefits, like car rental loss and damage insurance (but we have auto insurance anyway), return protection, global assist. I haven't used these personally but I've considered them as nice to have. Are these types of benefits worth it when perusing credit card options or is it usually too much of a hassle to actually use them?
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Volando wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:52 pm Is it generally worth it to pursue some of the benefits offered by cards when thinking through a rewards strategy? We have been using the Am Ex Blue Cash Preferred for the last two years and it has worked out well. We've gotten a few hundred $ back from the categories it offers. However, we've shifted almost all of our grocery spending to CostCo since they have better prices on most of what we buy so the AmEx will be losing most of its value from the grocery category. We're thinking of switching the AmEx for the CostCo Card since it has better travel/gas rewards and keeping a flat 2% card, like the WF Active Cash for everything else. One downside to switching would be losing out on some of the AmEx benefits, like car rental loss and damage insurance (but we have auto insurance anyway), return protection, global assist. I haven't used these personally but I've considered them as nice to have. Are these types of benefits worth it when perusing credit card options or is it usually too much of a hassle to actually use them?
If you do a lot of online shopping and/or curbside pickups, it might be worth getting the no-annual-fee AmEx Blue Cash Everyday card, which has 3% cash back for online shopping (including curbside pickup) for up to $6000 in spending for the year. It also has 3% on groceries and gas, but I assume you'll mostly be getting both at CostCo. You might also qualify for the new card bonuses ($100 cash back after $2000 spend and 20% cash back on linked PayPal account up to $150 cash back). Check the "All Cards" option and the special offers section on your AmEx account to see.
nps

Post by nps »

Looks like Chase has devalued its Pay Yourself Back option for Sapphire cardholders, including no more 1.5 multiplier for dining on the CSR

https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/ ... es-values/
Volando

Post by Volando »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:30 pm If you do a lot of online shopping and/or curbside pickups, it might be worth getting the no-annual-fee AmEx Blue Cash Everyday card, which has 3% cash back for online shopping (including curbside pickup) for up to $6000 in spending for the year. It also has 3% on groceries and gas, but I assume you'll mostly be getting both at CostCo. You might also qualify for the new card bonuses ($100 cash back after $2000 spend and 20% cash back on linked PayPal account up to $150 cash back). Check the "All Cards" option and the special offers section on your AmEx account to see.
That sounds like another good option. Thanks for bringing it up. I'll be sure to check it out. We'd like to keep only 2 cards at a time but that one may be in the running. This is probably not optimal from a rewards perspective but we'd prefer to keep things a little more simple.

I guess my main question is whether people have found those additional bonuses (car rental loss/damage insurance, return protection, etc.) worth it and have been able to use them easily or if it's better just to focus on the main rewards themselves (% $ back/points)?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

In the end, it is free money. Don't stress about it. It is unlikely to change your life if you get 2% vs 3% on certain items.

I just did an Amex offer of tap to pay on a $2+ purchase get $2 back. That is 100% cash back on a $2 item. You could use it 5 times. I did, but $10 isn't going to change my life. It won't even buy a drink at a restaurant these days but it was easy to get.

I do the Citi Double for almost everything and Chase/Discover 5% categories if they are categories I spend a lot in. I don't carry a cheat sheet or put much effort into it.
Samueul

Post by Samueul »

I budget with YNAB and our two biggest monthly budget categories are Dining and Groceries as we are "foodies" in addition to streaming, gas, pharmacy, and local transit costs.

I have an Amex Blue Cash Preferred card, Amazon Visa, and the Chase trifecta. Our yearly spend more than justifies the annual premiums on the Amex and the one Chase Sapphire card.

All of our cash back from the Amex and Amazon card get dumped back into our dining category and since we use the Chase cards for dining, all of that spend turns into UR points in Chase's ecosystem which we either use for cash back again or travel.
Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Do your utilities allow you to pay with a CC and no fees? Mine looks to be a $1.99 fee for residential (assuming per bill).
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cruz wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:37 pm

Do your utilities allow you to pay with a CC and no fees? Mine looks to be a $1.99 fee for residential (assuming per bill).
2 of mine allow me to pay directly with CC with no extra fee. The other doesn't allow for CC payment directly, so I pay with PayPal Bill Pay using my US Bank Cash+, and there is no CC fee. I am waiting to see is US Bank gives me the 5% cash back using PayPal Bill Pay, but the transaction did code as "utilities".
Cruz

Post by Cruz »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:01 pm

2 of mine allow me to pay directly with CC with no extra fee. The other doesn't allow for CC payment directly, so I pay with PayPal Bill Pay using my US Bank Cash+, and there is no CC fee. I am waiting to see is US Bank gives me the 5% cash back using PayPal Bill Pay, but the transaction did code as "utilities".
I've never heard of PayPal Bill Pay, does it work like a bank account you link to your respective utility account but can pay via CC?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cruz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:06 pm

I've never heard of PayPal Bill Pay, does it work like a bank account you link to your respective utility account but can pay via CC?
It is kind of like bill pay from your bank. It only works with participating payees. You enter your account number and the amount you want to pay and some payees allow CC to be used as the payment source. I believe Pay Pal pays them using ACH, but charges your CC, no added fee. I have used it to pay utility bills for over a year now.
zie

Post by zie »

Cruz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:06 pm

There is a whole thread about it here: viewtopic.php?t=365669 Otherwise anon_investor answered it well.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Cruz wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:37 pm...
My electric bill is like that, something like a $1.99 fee per bill... My bill is usually around $25, so $1.99 would be an 8% fee, what I do is over pay the bill, say a $250 charge with the one time $1.99 fee on that is less than the 2% credit card rebate. Then I just have a statement credit that works itself off throughout the year.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

JoMoney wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:19 pm
Cruz wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:37 pm...
My electric bill is like that, something like a $1.99 fee per bill... My bill is usually around $25, so $1.99 would be an 8% fee, what I do is over pay the bill, say a $250 charge with the one time $1.99 fee on that is less than the 2% credit card rebate. Then I just have a statement credit that works itself off throughout the year.
Ditto.. I am in NJ.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

We're revising our approach, temporarily. We were in 2-player mode for new account bonuses for awhile, then laid off in favor of 5+% cash kickbacks with BA. In addition to being financially worthwhile, that allowed our credit report activity to take a breather. As a result, we're back under Chase's 5/24 limits.

We're planning travel to Europe in early summer. The flexibility of being able to transfer Chase Ultimate Reward points to any of their travel partners has increased their value to us. United Airlines flights are quite cheap for our routes, if paid with points. E.g., Tampa to Barcelona costs 30K miles (+ nominal fees) one-way, when the cash price is around $700. I just earned 90K UR points with a new Ink card and can transfer them to UA at a 1:1 rate.

I qualified for a new UA Quest card through Doctor of Credit, plus an employee referral, the total of which will be ~92K UA miles. My balance after the MSR and bonus will be around 250K miles, which is more than a round trip for 3 people. I can buy additional points with our BA Premium Rewards card and be reimbursed $100, plus the UA Quest card reimburses $125 of UA purchases.

This approach is very specific to our immediate travel plans. After that, we'll probably go back to BA Preferred Rewards because it's easy.
international001

Post by international001 »

spammagnet wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:58 am We're revising our approach, temporarily. We were in 2-player mode for new account bonuses for awhile, then laid off in favor of 5+% cash kickbacks with BA. In addition to being financially worthwhile, that allowed our credit report activity to take a breather. As a result, we're back under Chase's 5/24 limits.

We're planning travel to Europe in early summer. The flexibility of being able to transfer Chase Ultimate Reward points to any of their travel partners has increased their value to us. United Airlines flights are quite cheap for our routes, if paid with points. E.g., Tampa to Barcelona costs 30K miles (+ nominal fees) one-way, when the cash price is around $700. I just earned 90K UR points with a new Ink card and can transfer them to UA at a 1:1 rate.

I qualified for a new UA Quest card through Doctor of Credit, plus an employee referral, the total of which will be ~92K UA miles. My balance after the MSR and bonus will be around 250K miles, which is more than a round trip for 3 people. I can buy additional points with our BA Premium Rewards card and be reimbursed $100, plus the UA Quest card reimburses $125 of UA purchases.

This approach is very specific to our immediate travel plans. After that, we'll probably go back to BA Preferred Rewards because it's easy.
I didn't get it. You get a one-way ticket priced at $700 with 30k miles? That's not my experience. I usually can get $600-$700 round trip tickets for the dates that you get with the lower amount of miles.

How much do you have to spend to get 30k miles?
gurusw

Post by gurusw »

tooluser wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:49 am
tooluser wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:49 am I am saddened to see that the AAA Member Rewards Visa will be transferred from BofA to Comenity Bank in October. With BofA Preferred Rewards (PR) the AAA card was very good for domestic travel and groceries, and I could transfer points from my BofA Travel Rewards Visa to get better redemption values. The PR bonuses will no longer apply, leaving only a 5% gas rebate as worthwhile. Time to re-evaluate my cards to see what the best mix is now.
I finally completed a personal analysis of what cards to hold, and surprisingly I found that I will probably stick with the ones I have, including the new Comenity AAA card. Relative to my old mix of cards, I will lose a little on groceries and travel, but gain a little on gas. I will also lose the ability to transfer points from my BofA Travel Rewards card. But I will be able to use just two cards instead of three to get my personal best in all my spending categories, with the Comenity card being primary. I looked at other cards and decided I still like to avoid annual fees, rotating categories I don't have control over, and selectable categories that can only be used one at a time. Low hassle factor counts for something. I also have enough cards, I don't really want any new ones.
I got Comenity pre-approval offer in the email; and none of my cards beat 5% back on groceries & 3% back on Wholesale Clubs. So I am tempted to apply.

What's the cashback policy for AAA Daily Advantage card from Comenity? Chase allows to redeem any amount, and AmEx Blue Cash makes you wait till you have $25 in credits. Costco has annual cash back policy, and that is a sore point, IMO.

Also would it make sense to use Comenity card for Costco purchases given their 3% back? Or would BHs still prefer to use Costco card for extended warranty?
nps

Post by nps »

gurusw wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:47 pm Also would it make sense to use Comenity card for Costco purchases given their 3% back? Or would BHs still prefer to use Costco card for extended warranty?
Citi is getting rid of extended warranty on the Costco card
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

gurusw wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:47 pm I got Comenity pre-approval offer in the email; and none of my cards beat 5% back on groceries & 3% back on Wholesale Clubs. So I am tempted to apply.

What's the cashback policy for AAA Daily Advantage card from Comenity? Chase allows to redeem any amount, and AmEx Blue Cash makes you wait till you have $25 in credits. Costco has annual cash back policy, and that is a sore point, IMO.

Also would it make sense to use Comenity card for Costco purchases given their 3% back? Or would BHs still prefer to use Costco card for extended warranty?
No answers, subscribing to this as I am very much in the same boat. Never did apply to the Costco Citi Visa, but 3% back on warehouse clubs greatly tempts me since I spend somewhere around $6k at Costco annually. I too received the preapproval form from AAA just today.
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

NIH CU offers a 3% cash back Visa card (4% for the first year) for Costco purchases. I don't have it but might be worthwhile for some.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

international001 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:20 pmI didn't get it. You get a one-way ticket priced at $700 with 30k miles? That's not my experience. I usually can get $600-$700 round trip tickets for the dates that you get with the lower amount of miles.

The cash price on United is $1,000-$1,200, one-way; in miles, it's 30K+$25. Those are readily available. If I lurk on Scott's Cheap Flights I think I might find something for $400-$600 (round-trip) but that would take time, effort, luck, and the schedule wouldn't be flexible.

Since I can cash out the Chase points at 1¢ each, I value the 30K UA flights at $300, one-way. That's 30% of the cash price. I have miles on Delta but the same flights would cost 3x the UA cost, in miles. If paying cash, they're slightly less expensive at $925, one-way.

If the points were accumulated with regular spending they would cost 20¢-$1, depending on what I bought. The low-cost points would be a small minority of what I earned. Most would be $1.

I earned ~65K UA miles a couple of years ago that can be used only for UA (or Star Alliance) purchases. They were a new account bonus, I think for a $3K MSR.

I just earned 90K Chase UR points on a new Chase Ink card, having spent $5K. That's $900 if I cash it out, or 90K UA miles if I transfer them. (I can transfer them to other UR partners, too.)

I was just approved for a new Chase United Quest account. I'll earn 90K miles for spending $5K. (I have some large bills coming up, so that's not hard.) The card costs $250/yr but has a $125 annual kickback for UA purchases, plus other benefits that mitigate the expense.
international001

Post by international001 »

spammagnet wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:39 pm
international001 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:20 pmI didn't get it. You get a one-way ticket priced at $700 with 30k miles? That's not my experience. I usually can get $600-$700 round trip tickets for the dates that you get with the lower amount of miles.

The cash price on United is $1,000-$1,200, one-way; in miles, it's 30K+$25. Those are readily available. If I lurk on Scott's Cheap Flights I think I might find something for $400-$600 (round-trip) but that would take time, effort, luck, and the schedule wouldn't be flexible.

Since I can cash out the Chase points at 1¢ each, I value the 30K UA flights at $300, one-way. That's 30% of the cash price. I have miles on Delta but the same flights would cost 3x the UA cost, in miles. If paying cash, they're slightly less expensive at $925, one-way.

If the points were accumulated with regular spending they would cost 20¢-$1, depending on what I bought. The low-cost points would be a small minority of what I earned. Most would be $1.

I earned ~65K UA miles a couple of years ago that can be used only for UA (or Star Alliance) purchases. They were a new account bonus, I think for a $3K MSR.

I just earned 90K Chase UR points on a new Chase Ink card, having spent $5K. That's $900 if I cash it out, or 90K UA miles if I transfer them. (I can transfer them to other UR partners, too.)

I was just approved for a new Chase United Quest account. I'll earn 90K miles for spending $5K. (I have some large bills coming up, so that's not hard.) The card costs $250/yr but has a $125 annual kickback for UA purchases, plus other benefits that mitigate the expense.
Again, this is not my experience. 30k mile trips are on specific low traffic days. I can typically buy cheap flights on those days.
Keep using kayak to verify that. Perhaps if you see the equivalent of a 30k+30k trip is $600-$700 you can buy it and save the miles for another day.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

international001 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:33 pmAgain, this is not my experience. 30k mile trips are on specific low traffic days. I can typically buy cheap flights on those days.
Keep using kayak to verify that. Perhaps if you see the equivalent of a 30k+30k trip is $600-$700 you can buy it and save the miles for another day.
I have little experience and don't doubt yours, but it's what I saw. I will explore Kayak as you suggest but, if that's what UA wants for the fare, in terms of miles, does it matter what a competitor charges in dollars?

I've been sitting on those miles for 2.5 years. If I were traveling internationally more frequently I would put more effort into using them most efficiently. As it is, my goal is to not use them wastefully.

The point of my earlier post is that I'm redirecting my spending from BofA and PR cash, to Chase and miles/UR travel points. For the time being, that's more efficient for me.
Last edited by spammagnet on Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
gurusw

Post by gurusw »

lakpr wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:12 pm
gurusw wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:47 pm I got Comenity pre-approval offer in the email; and none of my cards beat 5% back on groceries & 3% back on Wholesale Clubs. So I am tempted to apply.

No answers, subscribing to this as I am very much in the same boat. Never did apply to the Costco Citi Visa, but 3% back on warehouse clubs greatly tempts me since I spend somewhere around $6k at Costco annually. I too received the preapproval form from AAA just today.
I have applied for it today. It's too tempting to pass :)

Not to mention there is $100 bonus for spending $1000 in 90 days. Too easy!
Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat »

Any ideas for a credit card that would be especially rewarding for ~$45k of spend I have coming up in spring, either through a signup bonus or a reward based on meeting a spending threshold? My default would be to use my Capital One Venture X card for 2 points per dollar, which I value at a total of about 3% back on spend. I generally try to go for a signup bonus when I have significant spending coming up, but don't have anything in particular on my radar, especially something suited for lots of spending.
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

Startled Cat wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:18 pm Any ideas for a credit card that would be especially rewarding for ~$45k of spend I have coming up in spring, either through a signup bonus or a reward based on meeting a spending threshold? My default would be to use my Capital One Venture X card for 2 points per dollar, which I value at a total of about 3% back on spend. I generally try to go for a signup bonus when I have significant spending coming up, but don't have anything in particular on my radar, especially something suited for lots of spending.
Just signed up for a City Premiere that was offering $800 for $4000 in spending in first three months. Will help pay for a bathroom remodel.
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

Startled Cat wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:18 pm Any ideas for a credit card that would be especially rewarding for ~$45k of spend I have coming up in spring, either through a signup bonus or a reward based on meeting a spending threshold? My default would be to use my Capital One Venture X card for 2 points per dollar, which I value at a total of about 3% back on spend. I generally try to go for a signup bonus when I have significant spending coming up, but don't have anything in particular on my radar, especially something suited for lots of spending.
If you have that much of spending coming due in a few months, I suggest you apply for multiple credit cards for the sign up bonuses. Not all at once, of course. Citi Premier is an excellent recommendation from the poster above me, $800 for $4000 spend in 90 days. You can get Chase Sapphire Reserve, for not only the bonus but also ongoing spend. The UR points can be valuable for travel -- flights and hotel rooms. Perhaps the Wells Fargo Autograph and Active Cash cards too.

Apply for the Chase and Citi cards first, they are sensitive for number of credit cards opened recently. Once you acquire them, then focus on other cards. The Doctor Of Credit site has an up to date list of cards with the best sign up bonuses, look through that list and apply for anything that catches your fancy.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I noticed on the Citi website that the sign-up bonus on the Premier has dropped to $600.
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

FedGuy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:51 pm I noticed on the Citi website that the sign-up bonus on the Premier has dropped to $600.
True, but if you go to the Best Credit Card Bonuses page on Doctor of Credit site, there is a link that still takes you to the 80,000 point bonus offer. Keep screenshots!!
Moondawg

Post by Moondawg »

Our rewards strategy feels pretty lackluster now that I'm looking at it... not even sure if it is still a strategy.

- Amex Gold - Almost all of our spend goes here, with wife as an authorized user (200k points)
- Chase Amazon Prime Rewards - All Amazon/Whole Foods purchases go here (usually redeem these for cash back, no points now)
- Apple Card - Some spend here, but not much and only out of convenience/necessity (cash back has been nice, but meh)
- Gemini Card - Used to use this similar to Amex with all spend here to get bitcoin, but no more spend goes here (~$500 in BTC)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred - No spend here (84k points)
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy - No spend here (137k points, don't use any of the other benefits)
- Chase Hyatt - No spend here (132k points, don't use any of the other benefits)
- Capital One Venture - No spend here (17k points)

I'm not exactly sure how we landed here, but after random churn experiments and strategic applications for cards based on our spend, I think we're mostly thinking we'd use our points for some insanely aspirational trip when we retire in 20+ years.

Unless there's some sensible cards to churn next, we will probably just keep majority of our spend on amex gold. Dumb?
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Moondawg wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:56 pm Our rewards strategy feels pretty lackluster now that I'm looking at it... not even sure if it is still a strategy.

- Amex Gold - Almost all of our spend goes here, with wife as an authorized user (200k points)
- Chase Amazon Prime Rewards - All Amazon/Whole Foods purchases go here (usually redeem these for cash back, no points now)
- Apple Card - Some spend here, but not much and only out of convenience/necessity (cash back has been nice, but meh)
- Gemini Card - Used to use this similar to Amex with all spend here to get bitcoin, but no more spend goes here (~$500 in BTC)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred - No spend here (84k points)
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy - No spend here (137k points, don't use any of the other benefits)
- Chase Hyatt - No spend here (132k points, don't use any of the other benefits)
- Capital One Venture - No spend here (17k points)

I'm not exactly sure how we landed here, but after random churn experiments and strategic applications for cards based on our spend, I think we're mostly thinking we'd use our points for some insanely aspirational trip when we retire in 20+ years.

Unless there's some sensible cards to churn next, we will probably just keep majority of our spend on amex gold. Dumb?
The bold above is mine.
I'm sorry but that is a poor idea. These points get devalued relatively quickly. My advice, use them within the next year or two.

One of my professors who traveled a bit for speaking gigs plus vacations accumulated hundreds of thousands of airline points during his career. Like you he planned to use them for some great post retirement trips. Over the last few years of his career the airline industry devalued and devalued those points. Before the devalue he could have gotten multiple Business class trips overseas, today those points are worth 1 business class overseas trip.

Don't waste your points. Use them in 2023/2024.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
bling

Post by bling »

my credit card rewards strategy has been to start closing accounts that are unused. at the end of the day, no matter what the multiplier is on the card, it's not gonna be better than the sign up bonus. i think american express is the exception for having "single card bonus per cardholder per lifetime", but other banks have the "not had this card is the preceding X years".
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

bling wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:59 am i think american express is the exception for having "single card bonus per cardholder per lifetime",
And there are sometimes exceptions (reported by credit blogs as “no lifetime language”), and they assume you live about seven years after closing a card (or at least that’s how long their lifetime limitation reportedly lasts) :)
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

I’m thinking of signing up for venture x with the doctor of credit link ($200 credit on an airline too?)

Anyone know how the lounge access works? We fly out of SFO. Curious if the access gives family of four entry? Previous lounge access has only allowed two or three people. Thanks
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:39 am I’m thinking of signing up for venture x with the doctor of credit link ($200 credit on an airline too?)

Anyone know how the lounge access works? We fly out of SFO. Curious if the access gives family of four entry? Previous lounge access has only allowed two or three people. Thanks
Not hard to find out.

https://www.capitalonetravel.com/lounge ... venturepdp

Also, https://www.capitalonetravel.com/lounges

The info below applies to Capitalone branded lounges, not necessarily "partner" lounges, i.e., Plaza Premium or Priority Pass.

"LOUNGE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How can I access the Capital One Lounge?

Venture X cardholders and their authorized users or account managers can enjoy unlimited complimentary access, plus complimentary entry for two guests per visit—and special pricing of $45 per visit for additional guests.

Venture & Spark Miles cardholders receive 2 complimentary visits towards their account per calendar year. These complimentary visits may be used for themselves, their authorized users or account managers, or guests who are traveling with them. Additional visits can be purchased for a discounted rate of $45.

All other cardholders & non-customers can enter at the standard rate of $65.

Children under 2 can enter for free with a supervising parent or guardian. Access to all amenities is included with Lounge entry.

... "
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:39 am I’m thinking of signing up for venture x with the doctor of credit link ($200 credit on an airline too?)

Supposedly for Priority Pass lounges you get no limit of guests. But not sure that there are good PP lounge options at SFO. AF, China Airlines and BA show up in my PP app, but with limited hours that may not work for your flights. And you’d have to access Int Terminal A.

There are some decent restaurant options at SFO for PP, but Capital One discontinued those for their version of PP at the beginning of the year.
Wannaretireearly

spammagnet wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:43 am

Not hard to find out.

https://www.capitalonetravel.com/lounge ... venturepdp

Also, https://www.capitalonetravel.com/lounges

The info below applies to Capitalone branded lounges, not necessarily "partner" lounges, i.e., Plaza Premium or Priority Pass.

"LOUNGE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How can I access the Capital One Lounge?

Venture X cardholders and their authorized users or account managers can enjoy unlimited complimentary access, plus complimentary entry for two guests per visit—and special pricing of $45 per visit for additional guests.

Venture & Spark Miles cardholders receive 2 complimentary visits towards their account per calendar year. These complimentary visits may be used for themselves, their authorized users or account managers, or guests who are traveling with them. Additional visits can be purchased for a discounted rate of $45.

All other cardholders & non-customers can enter at the standard rate of $65.

Children under 2 can enter for free with a supervising parent or guardian. Access to all amenities is included with Lounge entry.

... "
Thank you for the links. Appreciated!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Wannaretireearly

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:48 am

Supposedly for Priority Pass lounges you get no limit of guests. But not sure that there are good PP lounge options at SFO. AF, China Airlines and BA show up in my PP app, but with limited hours that may not work for your flights. And you’d have to access Int Terminal A.

There are some decent restaurant options at SFO for PP, but Capital One discontinued those for their version of PP at the beginning of the year.
Thanks. I think there is a difference between the venture vs. venture x card. Looking into this…it’s likely my wife and I will both sign up for cheaper venture card and get/use benefits across two cards
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:03 pmThanks. I think there is a difference between the venture vs. venture x card. Looking into this…it’s likely my wife and I will both sign up for cheaper venture card and get/use benefits across two cards
There is. It's on the page I linked.
Wannaretireearly

spammagnet wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:39 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:03 pmThanks. I think there is a difference between the venture vs. venture x card. Looking into this…it’s likely my wife and I will both sign up for cheaper venture card and get/use benefits across two cards
There is. It's on the page I linked.
:sharebeer Although, we both got rejected. No dice :oops:
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:40 pm
Let me guess, your credit is too good? :shock: :D

It’s a story I have heard many times. So I have never felt the need to risk my “no declines” streak by apply for a C1 card.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:12 pm

It’s a story I have heard many times. So I have never felt the need to risk my “no declines” streak by apply for a C1 card.
I'm one of those. Citi turned me down with an 827 credit score. The reason was that I didn't utilize enough of my credit (which is true).
Wannaretireearly

Haha. I’m used to declines now. No big deal ;)

Interestingly, I believe I was declined for an outstanding balance (score: 730 ish). I’m thinking of now paying this off, even at 0% interest, so I can get my 800+ score back and hopefully get the venture card.

Wife, has the opposite issue, we think. 800+ score, but not enough credit used vs. available.
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

I just use cash back cards. It makes it simple to ensure I get predictable returns (I do have one card that issues coupons that I can sometimes take advantage of). Kind of the bond-ish like approach to credit cards, but I like the ease.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
lws

Post by lws »

Cash back exclusively.
Wannaretireearly

Leesbro63 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:36 pm

I'm one of those. Citi turned me down with an 827 credit score. The reason was that I didn't utilize enough of my credit (which is true).
Do you have a strategy to get approved?
My wife (800+ like you) is planning on closing accounts. Reducing outstanding credit availability. Is this really the right path? What’s the magic to get this card ;)