Suggestions for the Wiki

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
tadamsmar

The Wiki on RMD is incorrect, out of date

Post by tadamsmar »

[Post merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

The wiki has out-of-date RMD tables that are not valid for 2022:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Require ... alculation

I just noticed that the value for age 72 in Table III is incorrect. It should be 27.4, not 25.6.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by LadyGeek »

tadamsmar - Thanks! I have merged your post into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I haven't forgotten about your suggestion. If another wiki editor doesn't get to this in the next few days, I'll update the tables.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The page has been updated. See: Required Minimum Distribution

The update was done by another wiki editor. The top of every page has a View history tab so you can see all of the updates and who made the changes. In this case, the update was done by Barry Barnitz.
RobG

Post by RobG »

This is regarding the custodian part of the HSA wiki, https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Health_ ... nd_options
Health Savings Administrators was acquired by HealthEquity so it no longer exists, but the Wiki has not been updated.

A BH thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?t=369805
Stay thrifty my friends.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

RobG wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:49 pm This is regarding the custodian part of the HSA wiki, https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Health_ ... nd_options
Health Savings Administrators was acquired by HealthEquity so it no longer exists, but the Wiki has not been updated.

A BH thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?t=369805
I updated the wiki; thanks.
Wiki David Grabiner
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

I do think some of the less common investment choices (like high yield bonds and preferred stock) need an update on the page of what is available. These days, cheaper options exist for both (PFFD https://www.globalxetfs.com/funds/pffd/ and PFFV https://www.globalxetfs.com/funds/pffv/ for preferred stock; and SPHY https://www.ssga.com/us/en/individual/e ... d-etf-sphy and USHY https://www.ishares.com/us/products/291 ... e-bond-etf).
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.

Post by 000 »

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Market-linked_CD

I was glancing at the wiki article about market linked CDs which contains this figure:
MLCDs were in especially high demand in 2011. Banks sold a record 1,271 of them during the year, totaling an estimated $25 billion dollars.
I can't access the citation, but how can the 1,271 number possibly be correct? The average CD would be $19.6+ million dollars if that were true.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

000 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:25 pm https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Market-linked_CD

I was glancing at the wiki article about market linked CDs which contains this figure:
MLCDs were in especially high demand in 2011. Banks sold a record 1,271 of them during the year, totaling an estimated $25 billion dollars.
I can't access the citation, but how can the 1,271 number possibly be correct? The average CD would be $19.6+ million dollars if that were true.
Most likely the 1271 number refers to large pools of funds for which individuals acquired a portion through brokers.

This article also references the 1271 number in paragraph 5.

https://www.fa-mag.com/news/market-link ... -9765.html

Cheers

Post by 000 »

Silk McCue wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:07 pm Most likely the 1271 number refers to large pools of funds for which individuals acquired a portion through brokers.

Cheers
Probably, but the phrasing is incorrect, or at least unclear, and probably irrelevant to the wiki article.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

000 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:35 pm
Silk McCue wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:07 pm Most likely the 1271 number refers to large pools of funds for which individuals acquired a portion through brokers.

Cheers
Probably, but the phrasing is incorrect, or at least unclear, and probably irrelevant to the wiki article.
The Wiki was last edited 7 years ago. Your argument is with a quote from a published source in 2011. Nothing needs to be fixed here as far as I can tell.

Cheers

Post by 000 »

Silk McCue wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:40 pm The Wiki was last edited 7 years ago. Your argument is with a quote from a published source in 2011. Nothing needs to be fixed here as far as I can tell.

Cheers
This thread is about "suggestions" not "fixes".

A wiki is not a static machine that you have someone come and replace a valve when it breaks.

Do you not see any irony in your post that "nothing needs to be fixed" about an article that has not been touched for seven years and is quoting unclear, irrelevant data from a source more than a decade old that is behind a paywall?

Oh well.....
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

000 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:35 pm Probably, but the phrasing is incorrect, or at least unclear, and probably irrelevant to the wiki article.
Please suggest better wording. If you have more recent statistics, please supply that as well (along with a link to the information source).

Article under discussion: Market-linked CD.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

000 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:35 pm Probably, but the phrasing is incorrect, or at least unclear, and probably irrelevant to the wiki article.
+1

How many different versions were available in a specific year isn't very interesting more than 10 years later. That sentence and reference are now gone, but of course could be reinstated/reworded if someone wishes.

Post by 000 »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:15 pm
Please suggest better wording. If you have more recent statistics, please supply that as well (along with a link to the information source).

Article under discussion: Market-linked CD.
The sentence was removed, a decision I think is a good one. If it were to be reinstated I could offer some wording ideas.

I'm sorry but I do not have more recent statistics. I only came upon the MLCDs article when researching them out of unfamiliarity with them.
Last edited by 000 on Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 000 »

FiveK wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:29 pm
+1

How many different versions were available in a specific year isn't very interesting more than 10 years later. That sentence and reference are now gone, but of course could be reinstated/reworded if someone wishes.
:sharebeer
lazynovice

Non-Qualified Dividends Wiki Edit Suggestion

Post by lazynovice »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Not sure where to put this-

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Non-qualified_dividends

“Non-qualified dividends. Your mutual fund may receive dividends that are non-qualified. For example, the mutual fund may sell shares just 35 days after buying them, but after receiving a dividend. The mutual fund has to hold the shares at least 61 days to have a qualified dividend. Any amount the mutual fund receives as a non-qualified dividend gets paid to you as a non-qualified dividend.”

“Holding mutual fund shares less than 61 days. You should also be aware that any dividend you receive on mutual fund shares held less than 61 days is a non-qualified dividend, even if the mutual fund reports that amount to you as a qualified dividend. You don't have to buy the shares 61 days before the dividend is paid, but the total amount of time you hold the shares (including time before and after the dividend) has to be at least 61 days.[1]”

I believe both of these paragraphs apply to ETFs as well. I am not sure but I believe the second paragraph applies to individual stocks as well.
FiveK

Re: Non-Qualified Dividends Wiki Edit Suggestion

Post by FiveK »

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged lazynovice's thread into the ongoing discussion.
MiragePi

Post by MiragePi »

On the TD Ameritrade wiki page, I suspect that the "Similar TD Ameritrade ETF" that is recommended for "Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VGTSX)" could be improved. I also suspect the entire section might be unnecessary.

As I understand it, VGTSX consists of large, mid and small cap companies in 46 developed and emerging markets worldwide, excluding the USA.

Currently there are two ETFs that are recommended on the TD Ameritrade wiki page as being similar:
SPDR Portfolio Developed World ex-US ETF (SPDW)
iShares MSCI ACWI ETF (ACWI)

The concerns I have with these recommendations are:
1. SPDW only contains developed countries excluding the USA. So it does not include the emerging markets.
2. ACWI contains large- and mid-capitalization developed and emerging market equities. So it also includes the USA. It also doesn't include small-cap.
3. TD Ameritrade offers $0 commission trades on any ETF, I believe. So identifying ETFs specific to TD Ameritrade does not seem necessary.

I suggest these improvements:
Improvement Option A: Eliminate the entire table of similar TD Ameritrade ETFs. Change the "Please see..." link to ETFs for Bogleheads
-or-
Improvement Option B: Make these changes:
1. Add a note saying that SPDW should be supplemented with an emerging markets ETF (SPEM) to approximate VGTSX.
2. Replace ACWI with ACWX (iShares MSCI ACWI EX US ETF). The benchmark for ACWI is the MSCI ACWI ex USA Index which is composed of large- and mid-cap non-U.S. equities.
3. Add a node saying that ACWX does not contain small-cap equities, so it should be supplemented with international small-cap coverage that can be found on International Small Cap wiki page
Last edited by MiragePi on Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

lazynovice wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:00 pm [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

“Non-qualified dividends. Your mutual fund may receive dividends that are non-qualified. For example, the mutual fund may sell shares just 35 days after buying them, but after receiving a dividend. The mutual fund has to hold the shares at least 61 days to have a qualified dividend. Any amount the mutual fund receives as a non-qualified dividend gets paid to you as a non-qualified dividend.”

“Holding mutual fund shares less than 61 days. You should also be aware that any dividend you receive on mutual fund shares held less than 61 days is a non-qualified dividend, even if the mutual fund reports that amount to you as a qualified dividend. You don't have to buy the shares 61 days before the dividend is paid, but the total amount of time you hold the shares (including time before and after the dividend) has to be at least 61 days.[1]”

I believe both of these paragraphs apply to ETFs as well. I am not sure but I believe the second paragraph applies to individual stocks as well.
Thanks! Actually, that wiki page had out-dated and incorrect information. The reference cited for the page was long since gone, so I couldn't see how the content was created.

I found good info at Fidelity and used that to overhaul the page. See: Non-qualified dividends

How's it look?
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

• Time period to hold shares. To qualify for the long-term capital gains rate, you must own those shares for at least for at least 61 days out of the 121-day period that began 60 days before the security’s ex-dividend date (the same requirement as a fund or stock). ...
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I have corrected the wiki, thanks! See: Non-qualified dividends
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:57 am
lazynovice wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:00 pm [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Thanks! Actually, that wiki page had out-dated and incorrect information. The reference cited for the page was long since gone, so I couldn't see how the content was created.

I found good info at Fidelity and used that to overhaul the page. See: Non-qualified dividends

How's it look?
“Non-qualified dividends. A mutual fund, ETF, or stock may distribute dividends that are non-qualified. A fund must hold the security for at least 61 days out of the 121-day period that began 60 days before the security’s ex-dividend date. If this requirement is not met, the dividends do not qualify for the long-term capital gains rate and are treated as ordinary income.”

I don’t think a stock can distribute a non-qualified dividend. I think mentioning stocks is appropriate in the holding period paragraph but not here. But truthfully, I don’t KNOW because I’ve never owned an individual stock.

And thank you!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Reading the Fidelity article again, I think you're right. I removed "stocks" from the paragraph. While I was at it, I clarified what "unhedged" in the notes meant.

See: Non-qualified dividends
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

lazynovice wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:16 pm “Non-qualified dividends. A mutual fund, ETF, or stock may distribute dividends that are non-qualified. A fund must hold the security for at least 61 days out of the 121-day period that began 60 days before the security’s ex-dividend date. If this requirement is not met, the dividends do not qualify for the long-term capital gains rate and are treated as ordinary income.”

I don’t think a stock can distribute a non-qualified dividend. I think mentioning stocks is appropriate in the holding period paragraph but not here. But truthfully, I don’t KNOW because I’ve never owned an individual stock.
REITs, many preferred stocks, and some foreign stocks (depending on tax treaty and accounting rules) can distribute non-qualified dividends. In addition, if you hold a stock but the brokerage lends it to a short seller, the short seller pays you an amount equal to the dividend you would have received. While you think of this as a dividend on a stock, it wasn't made by the corporation and is thus taxed to you as a non-qualified dividend.

In addition, you have the 61-day rule for any individual stocks you hold.
Wiki David Grabiner
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

grabiner wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:00 am
lazynovice wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:16 pm “Non-qualified dividends. A mutual fund, ETF, or stock may distribute dividends that are non-qualified. A fund must hold the security for at least 61 days out of the 121-day period that began 60 days before the security’s ex-dividend date. If this requirement is not met, the dividends do not qualify for the long-term capital gains rate and are treated as ordinary income.”

REITs, many preferred stocks, and some foreign stocks (depending on tax treaty and accounting rules) can distribute non-qualified dividends. In addition, if you hold a stock but the brokerage lends it to a short seller, the short seller pays you an amount equal to the dividend you would have received. While you think of this as a dividend on a stock, it wasn't made by the corporation and is thus taxed to you as a non-qualified dividend.

In addition, you have the 61-day rule for any individual stocks you hold.
Thanks for the clarification because I sure had no idea.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

MiragePi wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:56 am On the TD Ameritrade wiki page, I suspect that the "Similar TD Ameritrade ETF" that is recommended for "Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VGTSX)" could be improved. I also suspect the entire section might be unnecessary.

As I understand it, VGTSX consists of large, mid and small cap companies in 46 developed and emerging markets worldwide, excluding the USA.

Currently there are two ETFs that are recommended on the TD Ameritrade wiki page as being similar:
SPDR Portfolio Developed World ex-US ETF (SPDW)
iShares MSCI ACWI ETF (ACWI)

The concerns I have with these recommendations are:
1. SPDW only contains developed countries excluding the USA. So it does not include the emerging markets.
2. ACWI contains large- and mid-capitalization developed and emerging market equities. So it also includes the USA. It also doesn't include small-cap.
3. TD Ameritrade offers $0 commission trades on any ETF, I believe. So identifying ETFs specific to TD Ameritrade does not seem necessary.

I suggest these improvements:
Improvement Option A: Eliminate the entire table of similar TD Ameritrade ETFs. Change the "Please see..." link to ETFs for Bogleheads
-or-
Improvement Option B: Make these changes:
1. Add a note saying that SPDW should be supplemented with an emerging markets ETF (SPEM) to approximate VGTSX.
2. Replace ACWI with ACWX (iShares MSCI ACWI EX US ETF). The benchmark for ACWI is the MSCI ACWI ex USA Index which is composed of large- and mid-cap non-U.S. equities.
3. Add a node saying that ACWX does not contain small-cap equities, so it should be supplemented with international small-cap coverage that can be found on International Small Cap wiki page
Thanks! I went with Option A because it's always best to have a single information source. When it's time for an update, you only need to do it once.

See: TD Ameritrade

I also removed the suggestions under the table. Here's the prior version: Revision as of 16:28, 15 April 2021

If you think (or anyone else thinks) that those descriptions should be included in the page, post here and we'll put it back. If you think it should be updated, please provide a description (or enough to understand what's needed).
CRC_Volunteer

Post by CRC_Volunteer »

Would the following URL be of interest to add to the Medicare Wiki that was just updated:

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare- ... s-programs
"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." (Inigo Montoya) | | 65/30/05 | 53% VTSAX | 12% VTIAX | 30% VAIPX | 5% CASH
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

Seems to be an error here in the first paragraph:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax_loss_harvesting

"you can use any remaining tax losses to deduct $3,000 from your regular income taxes each year,"

But, from the context, it seems you can only deduct 3000 from your taxable income (in some circumstances) per year, not from your "income taxes".

PS: I know so little about tax loss harvesting that I noticed this when I was trying to learn the basics about it.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

tadamsmar wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:01 am "you can use any remaining tax losses to deduct $3,000 from your regular income taxes each year,"

But, from the context, it seems you can only deduct 3000 from your taxable income (in some circumstances) per year, not from your "income taxes".
Good point! Fixed.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

CRC_Volunteer wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:18 am Would the following URL be of interest to add to the Medicare Wiki that was just updated:

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare- ... s-programs
Yes, it would. I added it to the "External links" section, just under the "State Health Insurance Assistance Program" link.

See: Medicare
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Da5id's suggestion has been split into a new thread. See: Wiki suggestion - "The case for US only stocks"
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I moved livesoft's suggestion into a new thread. See: Wiki - livesoft's Tax Loss Harvesting challenge
dratkinson

Suggested link: Boglecenter.net to Bogleheads topics on Forbes blog?

Post by dratkinson »

Posting here because it seems to be easiest link into existing topics to suggest updates.

Was listening to recent podcast. Was following along by following suggested links. Noticed that on Boglecenter.net that there is no link to the Bogleheads topics on the Forbes blog.

Would it be appropriate to include a link, at boglecenter.net, to the Bogleheads topics on Forbes blog. I understand they may be out of date due to the passage of time, but believe it would be appropriate to record the link as a part of the forum's history*. Until I checked, I'd forgotten that the topics ran from 2011-2016, so a significant effort by senior forum members.

* Suggested Boglecenter link title: "Forbes articles (2011-2016)"
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please explain exactly which podcast you were listening to and provide more detail on the Forbes articles. We maintain the forum's history on this site, so I'm unclear what you'd like to change. (A summary is also posted on boglecenter.net)

There were a series of Forbes articles from 2009 - 2010 which is in the wiki: The Bogleheads® view
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:25 pm Please explain exactly which podcast you were listening to and provide more detail on the Forbes articles. We maintain the forum's history on this site, so I'm unclear what you'd like to change. (A summary is also posted on boglecenter.net)

There were a series of Forbes articles from 2009 - 2010 which is in the wiki: The Bogleheads® view
My bad. I see I didn't provide enough information.

While listening to "Bogleheads on Investing podcast 048": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEnQXQDRI5g

...the Bogle Center was mentioned: https://boglecenter.net/

Looking at the provided links at bottom of Bogle Center website, I didn't see but remembered the articles written for Forbes under the heading of the "Bogleheads' View". Remembered that those article were moved to the Forbes blog.

Searched for "bogleheads view" on Forbes blog: https://www.google.com/search?&q=bogleh ... orbes+blog

Found them: https://www.forbes.com/sites/theboglehe ... 0580266d3e

Those article are dated from 2011 to 2016.

Was wondering if it would be appropriate to include a historical documentation link on Bogle Center website to "Forbes articles 2011-2016"?

Or would it be more appropriate to update the wiki Bogleheads View page, https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/The_Bog ... C2%AE_view , which currently lists articles written between 2009-2010, to include a link to the Forbes blog to capture the articles written between 2011-2016?

Or would it be more appropriate to update the wiki Bogleheads View page index to include the missing Forbes articles? I suppose I could do it, if I could be taught how to do so.

For completeness of the record.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I have updated the introduction in The Bogleheads® view.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:31 pm Thanks! I have updated the introduction in The Bogleheads® view.
That should work to capture the historical record.

1. Suggested edit for clarity.
Archive

Historical Bogleheads View articles (2011-2016) can be viewed online at Forbes.com: The Bogleheads' View

2. Displaying my ignorance.

Problem. In the updated wiki topic, the Forbes "The Bogleheads' View" link --- https://search.forbes.com/search/find?t ... ds%27+View --- does not work for me---"Server Not Found". Does it require a Forbes subscription to work?

I notice the first returned link from this google search does work for me.
Google search: https://www.google.com/search?&q=bogleh ... orbes+blog
Return Forbes link from Google search: https://www.forbes.com/sites/theboglehe ... 9fc35f6d3e

I notice in the Google search, there is a unique alphanumeric tag (?sh=xxxxxxxx) embedded in the Forbes URL... would it be appropriate to use the Google URL, in the wiki topic, to link to the Forbes blog?

I notice the Forbes URL ?sh tag is different if I use a different search engine (Google vs DuckDuckGo).
Returned Forbes link from DuckDuckGo search: https://www.forbes.com/sites/theboglehe ... 8dfd506d3e

Is there an ?sh tag to tell Forbes that their blog URL is coming from the Bogleheads forum/wiki? So subscription not required?

Or do we need to update the wiki index to link to each Forbes "The Bogleheads View" articles (2011-2016), individually... as is currently done for the 2009-2011 articles listed.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I have revised the Archive section: The Bogleheads® view

The link was indeed broken. I have revised the wording to not use that link.

As for the alphanumeric tag (?sh=xxxxxxxx), Forbes manages that. If Forbes has that as part of the link, we use it.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:16 pm Thanks! I have revised the Archive section: The Bogleheads® view

As for the alphanumeric tag (?sh=xxxxxxxx), Forbes manages that. If Forbes has that as part of the link, we use it.
Checked. Works for me.
CRC_Volunteer

Post by CRC_Volunteer »

dratkinson wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:44 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:16 pm Thanks! I have revised the Archive section: The Bogleheads® view

Checked. Works for me.
The "?" and any data past that point is not needed:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theboglehe ... 8dfd506d3e

It is extraneous data used for marketing purposes. The following URL is all that is required:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thebogleheadsview
"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." (Inigo Montoya) | | 65/30/05 | 53% VTSAX | 12% VTIAX | 30% VAIPX | 5% CASH
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You're right, thanks. I fixed the links to https://www.forbes.com/sites/thebogleheadsview/. See: The Bogleheads® view

(I prefer the trailing slash when referring to directories. It doesn't matter to your web browser.)
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Out of curiosity, does phpBoard (or the underlying framework for the wiki) have an external link checker? Something that periodically scans every once in awhile and sees if the url gets a valid or non 404 response?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Not built-in to the underlying framework, but we do have a link checker that's run with an external python script. See: Bogleheads:External link maintenance

It hasn't been run since 2017. Once the broken links are found, they'll need to be fixed - which is a large effort.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Concerning the wash sale Wiki page:
  • General description
    If you sell a mutual fund or stock for less than the purchase price, you have a capital loss, and you can usually report this as a loss and subtract it from your income. However, if you sold the shares and then bought them right back, or bought new shares and then immediately sold the old shares, the IRS will rule that you did not really sell them, and will not allow you to deduct the loss at that time.

IRS definition
    A wash sale occurs when you sell or trade stock or securities at a loss and within 30 days before or after the sale you:[1][note 1]

Buy substantially identical stock or securities,[note 2]
    Acquire substantially identical stock or securities in a fully taxable trade,
    Acquire a contract or option to buy substantially identical stock or securities, or
    Acquire substantially identical stock for your individual retirement account (IRA) or Roth IRA.[note 3]

The above is accurate but it never specifies that the "sale at a loss" must occur in a taxable account. I think this causes people to think they can cause wash sales by selling at a loss in their other accounts. That question comes up from time to time.

The IRS definition part comes pretty much word for word from an IRS publication on income from capital gains and losses. It does not mention taxable accounts either...but that is implied by the publication it is in. When that wording is moved to our Wiki, it loses the content.

So I think somewhere in the General description and Definition, we need to add that the sale at a loss must be in a taxable account.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I agree. That is a very important point. I have added a big "Notice" at the top of the page. See: Wash sale

The wording is paraphrased from the IRS Traditional IRAs overview.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Thanks. Would you be willing to add it in one more place?
  • General description
    If you sell a mutual fund or stock held in a taxable account for less than the purchase price, you have a capital loss, and you can usually report this as a loss....
I don't think that wording came from the IRS so it would not be tampering with their language. Even if it did, I think it is an improvement for our purposes.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sure. I'll add as many changes as you want. :)

Done. See: Wash sale
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:54 am Sure. I'll add as many changes as you want. :)

Done. See: Wash sale
I think that should do it for this issue. Thanks!