[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
roamingzebra

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by roamingzebra »

Blues wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:13 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:04 pm
Blues wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:34 am (Also, as regards the tension between the CIA and DEA, and their working at cross purposes. If you want to see an example of this, here's a link to a "60 Minutes" clip focusing on an investigation I worked with a co-case agent for a few years in the early '90s: https://youtu.be/IF-IYdsFGrw . It had quite a bit of political and international intrigue. I had no idea this was going to be broadcast, nor did I participate in its making.)
Interesting.

1000 kilos of coccaine works out to about how many street sales?
A lot. It gets stepped on a few times before it hits the street (at the consumer level). It would usually get handed off a few times before that.

(That particular consignment of cocaine never hit the street. I seized it and ended up arresting (and convicting) the entire organization, including a bad cop. But I discovered a pattern of shipments that had already been sent prior to our finding out about this operation.)

Making small street corner busts wasn't what we were involved in or about. We'd do entries on homes, commercial operations, warehouses, aircraft, and maritime vessels for "trafficking quantity" loads and take down the individuals and operations, then work our way back to the source...domestically as well as internationally.

Narcotics was only one of several areas of investigation I worked over the years. (But it was often the most fun.)
Wow.

Thank you for your service. :sharebeer
Blues

Post by Blues »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:28 pm
Blues wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:13 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:04 pm
Blues wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:34 am (Also, as regards the tension between the CIA and DEA, and their working at cross purposes. If you want to see an example of this, here's a link to a "60 Minutes" clip focusing on an investigation I worked with a co-case agent for a few years in the early '90s: https://youtu.be/IF-IYdsFGrw . It had quite a bit of political and international intrigue. I had no idea this was going to be broadcast, nor did I participate in its making.)
Interesting.

1000 kilos of coccaine works out to about how many street sales?
A lot. It gets stepped on a few times before it hits the street (at the consumer level). It would usually get handed off a few times before that.

(That particular consignment of cocaine never hit the street. I seized it and ended up arresting (and convicting) the entire organization, including a bad cop. But I discovered a pattern of shipments that had already been sent prior to our finding out about this operation.)

Making small street corner busts wasn't what we were involved in or about. We'd do entries on homes, commercial operations, warehouses, aircraft, and maritime vessels for "trafficking quantity" loads and take down the individuals and operations, then work our way back to the source...domestically as well as internationally.

Narcotics was only one of several areas of investigation I worked over the years. (But it was often the most fun.)
Wow.

Thank you for your service. :sharebeer
You're welcome. (Thank you for the kind words.) It was my pleasure. :sharebeer
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Started the Musketeers. Peter Capaldi is in it as is the actor that played Rios in Picard. It's really good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Musketeers

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1085051/?ref_=tt_cl_t_3

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134922/?ref_=tt_cl_t_11
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I liked "The Diplomat" a lot on Netflix.
Watched all 8 episodes in 1 night and missed my Zoom call the next day!

Keri Russell was very good.
I've become inured to implausible plot lines. They don't bother me (anymore), but my recollection is that Brits don't swear like Americans.
And the Brits on The Diplomat seem to say [(removed) --admin LadyGeek] a lot.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

"The Girl From Nowhere" on Netflix. It is a mystery thriller somewhat supernatural anthology from Thailand. It is very unique and definitely not for everyone. I have seen the first two episodes and love it. Strongly recommended.
Edited on 26May.
The first two episodes were impressive; the third and fourth, not so much.
Last edited by vbdoug on Sun May 28, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Blues wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:15 pm
FirstGenInvestor wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:50 pm

Ted Lasso (Apple TV) - The current, and final, season is just as good as any previous season. Can’t recommend this show enough even if you hate soccer/sports
We thought the first season was lots of fun and fresh. Second season not so much until the last episodes when someone was revealed as a "villain".

This season, in my own and my wife's opinion, is hardly worth watching. Mileage will vary...but I feel like the writing is sub-par to say the least.
I agree, and am glad to find I'm not alone in my opinion! I enjoyed the first season, was lukewarm about the second, and am having trouble finishing the third. I can't pinpoint any specific reason other than I feel a sense of annoyance while watching it now. Perhaps the second and third seasons were too long?
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Blues

Post by Blues »

Elsebet wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:55 am

Ted Lasso (Apple TV) - The current, and final, season is just as good as any previous season. Can’t recommend this show enough even if you hate soccer/sports
We thought the first season was lots of fun and fresh. Second season not so much until the last episodes when someone was revealed as a "villain".

This season, in my own and my wife's opinion, is hardly worth watching. Mileage will vary...but I feel like the writing is sub-par to say the least.
I agree, and am glad to find I'm not alone in my opinion! I enjoyed the first season, was lukewarm about the second, and am having trouble finishing the third. I can't pinpoint any specific reason other than I feel a sense of annoyance while watching it now. Perhaps the second and third seasons were too long?
:sharebeer
iceport

Post by iceport »

Dead Ringers — 2023 Amazon Prime miniseries, starring Rachel Weisz

This is called a psychological thriller, but felt more like a psychological horror! Gut wrenching. By the end of each episode, I was glad it was over. But by the next day, I wanted more. Though not the same at all, the dream-like qualities of the series reminded me of many David Lynch films. At some point, I just had to settle in and accept that I wouldn't be able to make complete logical sense of everything. For instance, there's an entire character whose presence I just couldn't understand. And it felt like the series was left unresolved, with too many important questions left hanging, maybe like another season might be planned?

I don't remember much of the original Cronenberg film, which I watched on VCR tape from Blockbuster. But I do remember feeling somewhat traumatized by that version, too. If a lingering sense of unease and of a vague loss of innocence is the measure, this remake is a worthy successor.

Overall, I thought the series was excellent. It's well worth watching, at least for those who aren't opposed to some fairly profound psychological discomfort.

Has anyone else seen this series? What did you think?
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

iceport wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:36 pm Dead Ringers — 2023 Amazon Prime miniseries, starring Rachel Weisz

This is called a psychological thriller, but felt more like a psychological horror! Gut wrenching. By the end of each episode, I was glad it was over. But by the next day, I wanted more. Though not the same at all, the dream-like qualities of the series reminded me of many David Lynch films. At some point, I just had to settle in and accept that I wouldn't be able to make complete logical sense of everything. For instance, there's an entire character whose presence I just couldn't understand. And it felt like the series was left unresolved, with too many important questions left hanging, maybe like another season might be planned?

I don't remember much of the original Cronenberg film, which I watched on VCR tape from Blockbuster. But I do remember feeling somewhat traumatized by that version, too. If a lingering sense of unease and of a vague loss of innocence is the measure, this remake is a worthy successor.

Overall, I thought the series was excellent. It's well worth watching, at least for those who aren't opposed to some fairly profound psychological discomfort.

Has anyone else seen this series? What did you think?
If you like it, then you’ll want to check out the true story behind it. I’ll get a YouTube link later for some short documentaries about what inspired the original film.
iceport

Post by iceport »

rockstar wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:20 pm If you like it, then you’ll want to check out the true story behind it. I’ll get a YouTube link later for some short documentaries about what inspired the original film.
Sounds great! Have you watched it yet?
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

iceport wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:47 pm
rockstar wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:20 pm If you like it, then you’ll want to check out the true story behind it. I’ll get a YouTube link later for some short documentaries about what inspired the original film.
Sounds great! Have you watched it yet?
I started it, but I really don’t have time. I’m currently on a Mentalist, Musketeer, and EVIL binge. And the Mentalist really has me wanting to watch the original Nightmare Alley and read the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JxS5RAqKWU
Last edited by rockstar on Wed May 24, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

New Tricks, Britbox on Amazon Prime.

I am currently watching season 10 (of 12). This is a BBC series about retired police detectives solving cold cases in London, and their personal lives.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Well I really enjoyed "Silk" and I'm sorry they didn't go for a fourth season. Not sure what they were thinking. It was a show that got better and better with each season.

I'm going to try another British legal show: "Kavanagh QC" with John Thaw of "Inspector Morse" fame.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

We just stopped watching the third season after the second episode. I agree that the first season was great the second just meh.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
Blues

Post by Blues »

Youngblood wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:43 pm

We just stopped watching the third season after the second episode. I agree that the first season was great the second just meh.
I think part of the problem with this third season, at least as I see it, is that it tries too hard to check all the boxes...and instead of being a comedy with some touching, human moments...it is taking a more heavy handed approach to making social commentary...which detracts from the story line that made it touching to begin with. (Though the last couple of episodes have been a bit less ham fisted.) Most of us don't need to be hit on the head repeatedly to get the message.

Still, I don't know that I'd be interested in, or be willing to sit through another season. :sharebeer
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Blues wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:21 pm

I think part of the problem with this third season, at least as I see it, is that it tries too hard to check all the boxes...and instead of being a comedy with some touching, human moments...it is taking a more heavy handed approach to making social commentary...which detracts from the story line that made it touching to begin with. (Though the last couple of episodes have been a bit less ham fisted.) Most of us don't need to be hit on the head repeatedly to get the message.

Still, I don't know that I'd be interested in, or be willing to sit through another season. :sharebeer
Well, we were interested in watching it. Not now.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Bosch: Legacy on Amazon Freevee. This is a continuation of the Bosch series from Prime Video. It's good but contains commercials :annoyed.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Conch55 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:49 am Bosch: Legacy on Amazon Freevee. This is a continuation of the Bosch series from Prime Video. It's good but contains commercials :annoyed.
No doubt for Crate & Barrel.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

"Sanctuary," on Netflix. A Japanese series following a fictional sumotori.

I recently returned from Japan, where I had to pleasure to visit a beya (sumo stable). I found the series' representation of the training regimen to be very authentic (although I did not witness the abuse shown in the series).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Currently watching "Citadel" on Amazon. It's terrible. We both stay awake for ~15 minutes each night. It's taken us a few weeks to get through the first few episodes. No idea why we push forward.
upekkha

Post by upekkha »

Shetland on Britbox is absolutely brilliant!

I love everything about it, from breathtaking scenery and soundtrack to amazing story lines and acting. I highly recommend this show!
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." - Carl Von Clausewitz
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Bob the Builder wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:59 am Shetland on Britbox is absolutely brilliant!

I love everything about it, from breathtaking scenery and soundtrack to amazing story lines and acting. I highly recommend this show!
One of my favorites. Unfortunately the era of DI Perez (Douglas Henshall) is over with season 7. There will be a new season with a new DI (Ashley Jensen). Tosh (Alison O'Donnell), my favorite character on the show, returns.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
upekkha

Post by upekkha »

bertilak wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:22 am
Bob the Builder wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:59 am Shetland on Britbox is absolutely brilliant!

One of my favorites. Unfortunately the era of DI Perez (Douglas Henshall) is over with season 7. There will be a new season with a new DI (Ashley Jensen). Tosh (Alison O'Donnell), my favorite character on the show, returns.
It's quality television at its finest! I just finished season 5 and will begin season 6 today. I'm taking my time making my way through the series because I know its about to end soon. Interesting ref a new season with a new DI. I'll def check it out.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." - Carl Von Clausewitz
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Shetland is one of my favorites as well. It's good to see that another season is coming.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:25 am

Shetland is one of my favorites as well. It's good to see that another season is coming.

We really loved Shetland.
It was quite different, especially because of DI Perez and his gentle demeanor, etc. Not what one expects...

However, after a few seasons (I don't remember how many) it suddently started to become grim, whereas there had previously been very little gratuitous violence/etc. We stopped watchiing, alas.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Shetland had me as a devoted fan until the last season. It was an excellent show that I looked forward to year after year, with likable characters and with which I was willing to overlook the plot holes.

(My reasons for being disappointed are professional and personal and there is no need for me to say more on the subject as I don't wish to interfere with anyone else's enjoyment.)
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Blues wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:55 am Shetland had me as a devoted fan until the last season. It was an excellent show that I looked forward to year after year, with likable characters and with which I was willing to overlook the plot holes.

(My reasons for being disappointed are professional and personal and there is no need for me to say more on the subject as I don't wish to interfere with anyone else's enjoyment.)
I didn't watch the final season of "Shetland". But it wasn't for lack of love for the show. I admit your earlier post on the subject (annoyance with the direction of the show) had some influence. :) But I felt DI Perez was looking tired, so it was time to move on.

I'm nearing the end of season one of "QC Kavanagh" and though it's good, it's pretty much strictly about court cases without the character development I liked on "Silk". So to add variety, I will be watching it in parallel with "Homeland". I just watched the first episode of "Homeland" and am hooked.
Blues

Post by Blues »

:sharebeer
RetirementBlitz

Post by RetirementBlitz »

bertilak wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:53 pm
Conch55 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:49 am Bosch: Legacy on Amazon Freevee. This is a continuation of the Bosch series from Prime Video. It's good but contains commercials :annoyed.
No doubt for Crate & Barrel.
I see what you did there. :D
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

Just finished watching Fatal Attraction on Paramount+ (1 season, 8 episodes). I had low expectations starting out, but it was actually a pretty good suspenseful mystery series. Loosely based on the 80's movie, but quite a bit different from what I remember of it.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

MNGopher wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:48 pm Just finished watching Fatal Attraction on Paramount+ (1 season, 8 episodes). I had low expectations starting out, but it was actually a pretty good suspenseful mystery series. Loosely based on the 80's movie, but quite a bit different from what I remember of it.
I’ll have to check it out. I have a subscription now as I got it to finish Picard. If you haven’t watched it already, check out School Spirits. It’s really good. I’m currently binge watching EVIL as I wait for the next season of Strange New World.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Next to last episode of Succession.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I'm 60% through Beef. I like it. A road rage incident spirals in a lot of directions. It is on Netflix. This is the 2023 series (there is an older series with the same name).
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Starting the two V miniseries from the 80s. Watched them a ton. Available now on blu ray. And Vanity Fair has a great article on them.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:21 pm

Imo, the last few shows have redeemed themselves. The use of music, and the sound mixing in general, are good enough that I would “watch” just to “listen.”
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The Cleaner on BritBox, a comedy starring Greg Davies. I recommend it. There are two seasons. Unfortunately, it didn't get renewed for a third season. (What is this world coming to?)

The premise: Davies plays a Crime Scene Cleaner. Each show starts with his arrival at he scene of a crime which the police, paramedics, firemen, etc. are now done with. This format allows each episode to include completely different characters, often played by well known (in England) guest stars. Some are familiar to me, for example Doc Martin's aunt (Stephanie Cole).There is no plot other than Davies interactions with these characters as he goes about cleaning things up. Greg Davies makes good use of his 6-foot, 8-inch frame.

Episodes are just 30 minutes and focused on a single setting with very few characters. In this respect, it reminds me of Inside Number 9, but with more focus on the comedy. Unlike Number 9, it generally gives you the warm fuzzies.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Just finished watching the third season of The Great (titled onscreen as The Great: An Occasionally True Story and later as The Great: An Almost Entirely Untrue Story) is a historical and satirical comedy-drama television series loosely based on the rise to power of Catherine the Great, Empress of All Russia.

On Hulu, funny as heck.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

A small light on National Geographic (Disney+). The story focuses on Miep Gies and her husband Jan. In addition to sheltering the Frank family and other Jewish residents of the secret annex, Miep and Jan helped others to hide or escape from the Nazis in WWII Amsterdam. Highly recommend.

https://youtu.be/nsuk8ThvnpM
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

FBI by Dick Wolfe and Craig Turk. It apparently airs on CBS, but we're watching the earlier episodes on Paramount+ (w ads).

Never saw or heard of this show until this weekend. It started in 2018. Jeremy Sisto from Law & Order (Lupo) plays a new character but most other actors are unknown to me.

After watching for a while I googled whether FBI agents could have beards. Not while in training, but ok afterward. None of them fit my image of a special agent. The leads are Zeeko Zaki, an egyptian born American actor, and Missy Peregrym, a
canadian actress.

I recommend it.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

After all the hype I watched episode 1 of The Idol, starring Lily-Rose Depp and The Weeknd on HBO, now called MAX.

I won't be back for episode 2. Lots of sleaze and near nakedness. No story. IMDb rates it 5.0/10.0
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I just started watching Silo on Apple +.
It's quite compelling. Much more so than I thought from the preview. So far it is a keeper.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

wabbott wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:08 pm Next to last episode of Succession.
IMHO that was one of the best episodes I have ever seen on TV. That one as well as the one before it.
(That said, I don't watch a whole lot of TV).
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

heartwood wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:57 am FBI by Dick Wolfe and Craig Turk. It apparently airs on CBS, but we're watching the earlier episodes on Paramount+ (w ads).
I'm curious about Paramount with ads, because of all the hype I have heard about Yellowstone.
Can you somehow get it for free if you watch ads?
(That said, I find ads so annoying that I might be willing to pay for it to avoid the ads).
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:17 pm Just finished watching the third season of The Great (titled onscreen as The Great: An Occasionally True Story and later as The Great: An Almost Entirely Untrue Story) is a historical and satirical comedy-drama television series loosely based on the rise to power of Catherine the Great, Empress of All Russia.

On Hulu, funny as heck.

Broken Man 1999
That sounds great. I don't get Hulu however. Do they get into the (fake) urban legend regarding her death involving a horse? *just curious*
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:17 pm Just finished watching the third season of The Great (titled onscreen as The Great: An Occasionally True Story and later as The Great: An Almost Entirely Untrue Story) is a historical and satirical comedy-drama television series loosely based on the rise to power of Catherine the Great, Empress of All Russia.
I was hoping it was about Jackie Gleason!
Broken Man 1999

protagonist wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:45 am

On Hulu, funny as heck.

Broken Man 1999
That sounds great. I don't get Hulu however. Do they get into the (fake) urban legend regarding her death involving a horse? *just curious*
Not yet. I have to believe portraying that incident would be the perfect way to end the series. :D

She was a remarkable woman, based on what I have read.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Broken Man 1999

bertilak wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:52 am
I was hoping it was about Jackie Gleason!
Yeah, Gleason was great, in many ways. Great of girth, for sure!

Broken Man 1999
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Started From and Young Indiana Jones.

Good so far.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

jjunk wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:21 pm Shrinking on Apple TV

A psychologist struggles to help his patients after the death of his wife. We've loved it so far, it's a fun role for Harrison Ford and Jason Segal has been hilarious so far. It deals with some very heavy subjects in a lighthearted but compassionate way so it strikes a good balance. Would recommend.
My wife and I are watching this show currently and we are both enjoying it very much. All the performances are great, the plot is interesting, the jokes are funny, and it has its touching moments as well. I'm glad to hear that there will be another season coming.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

protagonist wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:40 am
heartwood wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:57 am FBI by Dick Wolfe and Craig Turk. It apparently airs on CBS, but we're watching the earlier episodes on Paramount+ (w ads).
I'm curious about Paramount with ads, because of all the hype I have heard about Yellowstone.
Can you somehow get it for free if you watch ads?
(That said, I find ads so annoying that I might be willing to pay for it to avoid the ads).
I am watching Yellowstone now on Peacock Premium Plus for a small fee ~$5/month. IMHO - worth it for no ads!

I wasn't able to find it anywhere for free with ads. :beer