[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
roamingzebra

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by roamingzebra »

JBTX wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:34 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:48 pm Anyway, "Shetland" is just absolutely a well-done series, recommended to all.
I’ll give it a shot. What streaming platform are you watching? From what I could tell I’d have to purchase Britbox on Amazon.
Ah, I thought you were talking about "Shetland", when you were actually talking about "The Bureau".

As for "Shetland", yes, Britbox. JustWatch gives three ways: Britbox Apple TV Channel, BritBox, and BritBox Amazon Channel.

Most if not all episodes are also on YouTube.
thefoggycity

Post by thefoggycity »

brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

Suits.

Amazon Prime.

Legal drama. Lawyer eats lawyer.... power hungry coworkers and inner-office politics.... fraud.... it's excellent.

--- Brian
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Yellowstone fans may be interested to learn that Season 5, now on hiatus, will be the last season of this series. There will be a sequel, apparently minus Kevin Costner.

‘Yellowstone,’ TV’s Hit Western, Will End Its Run After This Season
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

brian91480 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:39 am Suits.

Amazon Prime.

Legal drama. Lawyer eats lawyer.... power hungry coworkers and inner-office politics.... fraud.... it's excellent.

--- Brian
I really enjoyed Suits as well and binged through most of their early seasons. Quit watching once Adams and Markle left.
freakyfriday

Post by freakyfriday »

I recently saw Evil Dead Rise (it was dreadful), and Missing (which was not so bad).
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:59 pm I'm nearing the end of "My Brilliant Friend", which features a long-running somewhat toxic friendship which started on the outskirts of Naples. I have mixed thoughts on it.

I like it for the Italian culture and insight into the political unrest of the time. Plus insights into class structure (working class vs elite academic). Also for the "travelogue" aspect -- beautiful beach scenes on the island of Ischia were especially good. Also liked it for the unique characters and families that we follow for two decades, all of who originated in a small neighborhood of street vendors and shop owners where everyone knows one another.

What I didn't like so much were the constant "reaction shots" of the narrator/character. The camera lingers on this character's tightly controlled facial expressions for long seconds at a time where we are basically asked to interpret her emotion, and it gets old. The flip side is that it's stereotype-busting (i.e., a good thing) to see a southern Italian portrayed as quiet, observant and cerebral.

Overall, it's a well-done series and very European/Italian. But I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

Note that there is an unusual level of brutal, physical violence, more than is usually seen on screen.
I adored it - the TV series and the eponymous book series. As to violence - a few rocks and punches thrown and a knife pulled….? No gratuitous gunfire though. The worst violence was the brutal class conflict - such as when the protagonist’s father takes her to work and his boss refuses to acknowledge either of them. Or when her mother lovelessly sends her to Ischia. Or when the class laughs when she mispronounces a word in college. Or when the friend’s father doesn’t let her attend any advanced school despite being informed of her brilliance by the teacher. Or what happened to the fledgling cobbler.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:43 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:59 pm I'm nearing the end of "My Brilliant Friend", which features a long-running somewhat toxic friendship which started on the outskirts of Naples. I have mixed thoughts on it.

I like it for the Italian culture and insight into the political unrest of the time. Plus insights into class structure (working class vs elite academic). Also for the "travelogue" aspect -- beautiful beach scenes on the island of Ischia were especially good. Also liked it for the unique characters and families that we follow for two decades, all of who originated in a small neighborhood of street vendors and shop owners where everyone knows one another.

What I didn't like so much were the constant "reaction shots" of the narrator/character. The camera lingers on this character's tightly controlled facial expressions for long seconds at a time where we are basically asked to interpret her emotion, and it gets old. The flip side is that it's stereotype-busting (i.e., a good thing) to see a southern Italian portrayed as quiet, observant and cerebral.

Overall, it's a well-done series and very European/Italian. But I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

Note that there is an unusual level of brutal, physical violence, more than is usually seen on screen.
I adored it - the TV series and the eponymous book series. As to violence - a few rocks and punches thrown and a knife pulled….?
How about literally throwing that woman out the window? :) Actually two women, I think. One being Lila, as I remember.

It was the intensity of the hand-to-hand combat which was super brutal. I mean, not simple punches, but rather pounding and pounding to the death (almost). And at almost any provocation.
The worst violence was the brutal class conflict - such as when the protagonist’s father takes her to work and his boss refuses to acknowledge either of them. Or when her mother lovelessly sends her to Ischia. Or when the class laughs when she mispronounces a word in college. Or when the friend’s father doesn’t let her attend any advanced school despite being informed of her brilliance by the teacher. Or what happened to the fledgling cobbler.
Yes, the class conflict was horrific. And somewhat surprising to me. I love Italy and tend to romanticize it (Mussolini and Fascism notwithstanding), but just because the language is so melodic even when people are arguing, doesn't mean good things are being said or that people are treating each other right. Some of the teasing of Elena reminded me of how Astrid, who was autistic, was teased in school in the French TV series "Astrid et Raphaelle".

That teacher was a real character, wasn't she? She was so intent on propelling the lives and careers of her brilliant students, but couldn't get past the stubborn resistance of the parents.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:11 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:43 pm

I adored it - the TV series and the eponymous book series. As to violence - a few rocks and punches thrown and a knife pulled….?
How about literally throwing that woman out the window? :) Actually two women, I think. One being Lila, as I remember.

It was the intensity of the hand-to-hand combat which was super brutal. I mean, not simple punches, but rather pounding and pounding to the death (almost). And at almost any provocation.
The worst violence was the brutal class conflict - such as when the protagonist’s father takes her to work and his boss refuses to acknowledge either of them. Or when her mother lovelessly sends her to Ischia. Or when the class laughs when she mispronounces a word in college. Or when the friend’s father doesn’t let her attend any advanced school despite being informed of her brilliance by the teacher. Or what happened to the fledgling cobbler.
Yes, the class conflict was horrific. And somewhat surprising to me. I love Italy and tend to romanticize it (Mussolini and Fascism notwithstanding), but just because the language is so melodic even when people are arguing, doesn't mean good things are being said or that people are treating each other right. Some of the teasing of Elena reminded me of how Astrid, who was autistic, was teased in school in the French TV series "Astrid et Raphaelle".

That teacher was a real character, wasn't she? She was so intent on propelling the lives and careers of her brilliant students, but couldn't get past the stubborn resistance of the parents.
Lila was thrown out or a first floor window as a young child and didn’t seem too hurt. There was some street fighting but … that’s what street fighting is. There were three murders - two of which were not on camera. The third was bad (window) but again, compared to modern films the violence was tame. No gore or guns whatsoever.

Yes the teacher was an exceptional character. Too bad she … well, enough spoilers.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Artful Dodger wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:06 am

Amazon Prime.

--- Brian
I really enjoyed Suits as well and binged through most of their early seasons. Quit watching once Adams and Markle left.
Yeah that's a show that went on too long. We also liked it in early seasons, judged by broadcast/basic cable series standards, never a 'great' show IMO. But like a lot of such shows the interesting parts of the characters tend to get smoothed down over time as they are 'humanized', plot and relationship changes get more contrived, then the major characters basically narrowing down from those two leaving. Although we did watch the whole thing.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

JackoC wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:37 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:06 am

Amazon Prime.

--- Brian
Yeah that's a show that went on too long. We also liked it in early seasons, judged by broadcast/basic cable series standards, never a 'great' show IMO. But like a lot of such shows the interesting parts of the characters tend to get smoothed down over time as they are 'humanized', plot and relationship changes get more contrived, then the major characters basically narrowing down from those two leaving. Although we did watch the whole thing.
I simply lost interest somewhere along the line. It got to the point where the only character I was really interested in was Rick Hoffman's Louis Litt.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Rabbit Hole. Meh. Unreliable narrator and okay twist. School Spirits was much better.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Amazon Prime.

As someone who loved "The Good Wife" and "The Practice", I'll be having a look at that show. Thanks for posting about it.

I guess from later comments it may not be in the same category, but that's okay. There aren't enough legal shows these days to pick from.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

FRANK2009 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:36 pm "Beef" on Netflix. A man and a woman get into a road rage incident. Pretty funny and surprisingly good. I'm up to episode 3 so far.
Just finished this recently. I liked it at first, but it became increasingly strange/unbelievable. Good acting and music though!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:56 am

Amazon Prime.

As someone who loved "The Good Wife" and "The Practice", I'll be having a look at that show. Thanks for posting about it.

I guess from later comments it may not be in the same category, but that's okay. There aren't enough legal shows these days to pick from.
Like most shows... some plots and story lines are better than others. Overall... it's a solid B... maybe even B+

I haven't finished watching it yet... I'm still "in process".

--- Brian
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Amazon Prime.

If memory serves, you have a Britbox subscription. There are good legal shows there, and it’s entertaining to suss out the vastly different legal system for those accustomed only to US system.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
FirstGenInvestor

Post by FirstGenInvestor »

Bupkis (Peacock) - Pretty funny. Ton of guest stars. Edie Falco and Joe Pesci were both incredible

Ted Lasso (Apple TV) - The current, and final, season is just as good as any previous season. Can’t recommend this show enough even if you hate soccer/sports

We are constantly watching HGTV shows. Lakefront Bargain Hunt is our current binge. Lots of fun if you ever want a lake house

Vanderpump Rules (Bravo) - Current season is incredible but you’d need a lot of background from previous seasons and I don’t know that I’d recommend anyone devoting that much time to VPR. But if you’ve been watching for years this season is 🔥🔥🔥

We often watch reruns of The Office, King of Queens, Seinfeld, and Frasier. Detroiters and I Think You Should Leave are also favorites
“I have a family to feed” - Latrell Sprewell
Blues

Post by Blues »

FirstGenInvestor wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:50 pm

Ted Lasso (Apple TV) - The current, and final, season is just as good as any previous season. Can’t recommend this show enough even if you hate soccer/sports
We thought the first season was lots of fun and fresh. Second season not so much until the last episodes when someone was revealed as a "villain".

This season, in my own and my wife's opinion, is hardly worth watching. Mileage will vary...but I feel like the writing is sub-par to say the least.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:10 pm

Amazon Prime.

If memory serves, you have a Britbox subscription. There are good legal shows there, and it’s entertaining to suss out the vastly different legal system for those accustomed only to US system.
Have you watched "Silk"? That one has been on my radar...if I can get past those ridiculous wigs. :)
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:25 pm

Amazon Prime.

Have you watched "Silk"? That one has been on my radar...if I can get past those ridiculous wigs. :)
Yes. I recommend it.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:40 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:25 pm

Amazon Prime.

Yes. I recommend it.
Ditto Image
DBNH34

Post by DBNH34 »

The Love Boat.

It's lighthearted mindless entertainment from a time when the majority of people in the world were still sane. What's not to like about that?
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Finished S1 of Lucky Hank. Enjoyed it and hope they renew it.

Started Silo on AppleTV+, so far, its very interesting post-apoc sci-fi. I liked the books so glad to see them keep the tone right.
brandysurfing

Post by brandysurfing »

Just about to finish Netflix's Physical:100
Solid reality show overall, though the constant replays drag it down a bit.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Season 3 is definitely not as good as the first 2 (some of that may be the longer episodes), but it's still one of the best written shows out there. The Amsterdam episode was fantastic.
Blues wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:15 pm
FirstGenInvestor wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:50 pm

We thought the first season was lots of fun and fresh. Second season not so much until the last episodes when someone was revealed as a "villain".

This season, in my own and my wife's opinion, is hardly worth watching. Mileage will vary...but I feel like the writing is sub-par to say the least.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

We really enjoy watching Shetland. I just got season 1 of Monk from the library. The first show was hilarious. After watching Tony Shaloub on the Amazing Mrs. Maisel, I looked on IMDB to see what else he’d done, hence Monk. I hope I can finish the first few seasons before the dreaded cataract surgery. Cheers.

Post by 3000 »

Silo on AppleTV+ cannot recommend enough.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I am about half way through the 13 episodes of the 1974 version of Father Brown, staring Kenneth More. Unlike the current Father Brown with Mark Williams, there is little in the way of comic relief. It follows the G. K. Chesterton stories closely, which is in its favor.

I like it.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Dalgliesh - Acorn/Seasons 1 and 2.

British detective series based on the PD James books. Each season is 6 episodes, with three 2-episode arcs, each arc covering one book. We liked it, especially Bertie Carvel in the lead role, playing a detective who is compassionate, but the same time, has that steely determination to follow things through. The series got off to a rather bland start but as the cast stabilizes and we get to know the lead characters better, it was much more consistent in quality. Season 3 has been green-lighted.

Holding - Acorn/Season 1.

Irish comedy/murder mystery, 4 episodes. Sgt PJ Collins is the lead cop in the small village of Duneen, which is located in the West Cork area. Nothing much ever happens, usually just neighbors bickering over petty things, until one day, the bones of a man are found buried on a farm. PJ has some issues, he is a bit overweight, he stress-eats, and at times, goes out of his way to avoids people. I wasn't sure I was going to like this after the first episode, a few characters seemed over-the-top and contrived, the show felt meandering around with melodrama, and then unexpectedly, the intensity ratchets in episode 3 and things get much more engrossing.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I'm early into season 2 of "Silk" and am enjoying it. Cast includes a "Spooks" alum (Rupert Penry-Jones).

At first I thought the lead character, Martha Costello, was a bit too frenzied, but it made sense in context. Things then settled down and the focus became the interesting and diverse cases. Some new vocabulary here that I haven't heard on any other British show...starting with Silks. (Short answer is it refers to the robes worn by this particular type of senior lawyer in court, but there's a lot of history and "royal stuff" surrounding it which can be found in Wikipedia.) Recommended.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I am on the 2nd season of Sweet Tooth. The poster/artwork was a turn off. My brother recommended it. I like it. The story involves hybrid human/animals. Sort of a turn off to me. But the story and action were pretty good.

We watched the first 3 episodes of Citadel. Far fetched, but if you like spy/action it is pretty good. I think this was a big budget series and it does have good star power. Stanley Tucci, Richard Madden (GOT and Bodyguard), Priyanka Chopra Jonas, etc.

Being a fan of Fauda, I'm looking forward to the debut of Ghosts of Beirut next week.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:15 pm I'm early into season 2 of "Silk" and am enjoying it. Cast includes a "Spooks" alum (Rupert Penry-Jones).

At first I thought the lead character, Martha Costello, was a bit too frenzied, but it made sense in context. Things then settled down and the focus became the interesting and diverse cases. Some new vocabulary here that I haven't heard on any other British show...starting with Silks. (Short answer is it refers to the robes worn by this particular type of senior lawyer in court, but there's a lot of history and "royal stuff" surrounding it which can be found in Wikipedia.) Recommended.
Glad that you’re enjoying it. It’s been a while; I found the operating model of law in the UK as represented very interesting. Ditto the business pressures of law there.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:38 pm I am about half way through the 13 episodes of the 1974 version of Father Brown, staring Kenneth More. Unlike the current Father Brown with Mark Williams, there is little in the way of comic relief. It follows the G. K. Chesterton stories closely, which is in its favor.

I like it.
Where is this available for streaming?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:54 am
bertilak wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:38 pm I am about half way through the 13 episodes of the 1974 version of Father Brown, staring Kenneth More. Unlike the current Father Brown with Mark Williams, there is little in the way of comic relief. It follows the G. K. Chesterton stories closely, which is in its favor.

I like it.
BritBox, where they call it Classic Father Brown.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:54 am

I like it.
Thank you.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:55 am

I like it.
Thank you.
If you get BritBox, you’ll undoubtedly discover loads of wonderful shows at a very reasonable monthly cost.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:54 am
ruralavalon wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:55 am

I like it.
Thank you.
If you get BritBox, you’ll undoubtedly discover loads of wonderful shows at a very reasonable monthly cost.
I already have Britbox and enjoy the shows offered. I have just today put the 1974 Father Brian series on my Britbox watch list.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Does anyone know what happened to the op dbcooperair? He seems to have disappeared like his namesake.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:28 am
roamingzebra wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:15 pm I'm early into season 2 of "Silk" and am enjoying it. Cast includes a "Spooks" alum (Rupert Penry-Jones).

Glad that you’re enjoying it. It’s been a while; I found the operating model of law in the UK as represented very interesting. Ditto the business pressures of law there.
An article on the British miniseries "Anatomy of a Scandal" verbalizes some of the things I unconsciously noticed in the courtrooms on "Silk", starting with the lack of the word "objection". And how British barristers always stand still when making their statements. The latter really makes a difference in the temperature of the court. No pacing around and flailing arms and whipping things up into a frenzy. One might think this would be boring, but it's not. It's civilized.

Anatomy Of A Scandal Fact Check: How Accurate Its UK Courtroom Really Is.

For anyone who plans to watch British legal shows big-time, this is a useful reference:

TV Tropes: Useful Notes - British Courts
Swee'pea

Post by Swee'pea »

I watched The Resort (TV series) on Peacock last year and will be re-watching it. Listed as a "dark comedy mystery television series." Beautiful and intriguing.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

jjunk wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:04 pm Finished S1 of Lucky Hank. Enjoyed it and hope they renew it.

Started Silo on AppleTV+, so far, its very interesting post-apoc sci-fi. I liked the books so glad to see them keep the tone right.
I will check out Silo. I just finished another sci fi series on Apple+ called Severance. Kept my interest the whole time and I’m looking forward to the next season.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Maniac has been streaming on Netflix since 2018, and in typical fashion I just got around to noticing it. The title is a reference to old computer names like Eniac or Multivac (the suffix standing for Automatic Computer), and the show is completely batsh*t crazy in the best sort of way. Much of the joy is in the details: I'm tempted to watch it all over again to see how much I missed the first time around.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Blues wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:42 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:26 pm
Blues wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:58 pm I was working narcotics in Miami during the time that the show was airing. It was fun to watch and a fun time to be working those sorts of cases, even if the show was a bit removed from reality.

Once, some of their prop cocaine ended up in the Miami River and it ended up creating quite a hoopla. Until it was determined to be sham. :oops:

Good times. :sharebeer
I can’t imagine Miami during that time. Bless you.

Prop cocaine? Who would have ever thought.

Best.
Tony
They weren't allowed to use the "real" stuff for the show. (Imagine that fiasco. LOL.)

A story I can't swear to but I was told by other sworn personnel...

Supposedly Don Johnson was stopped by FL Highway Patrol for an infraction of one sort or another. Trooper approached and Don Johnson handed him his phony police ID from the show. The officer wasn't amused, said "this is a fake badge" and cited him. I can't swear to the authenticity of the story but that's what I heard.

One of the guys from my old group was an "extra" on Miami Vice as well as "Donnie Brasco". I worked UC for a while but not on film.

Thank you for the kind words. I enjoyed the work. (I worked on some of the cases depicted on "Narcos" and "The Infiltrator".)

Thanks for posting, interesting read. I really like Narcos, both versions. How did you feel the show was, pretty accurate?
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

Lucky Hank
Blues

Post by Blues »

NOLA wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:37 pm
Blues wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:42 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:26 pm
Blues wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:58 pm I was working narcotics in Miami during the time that the show was airing. It was fun to watch and a fun time to be working those sorts of cases, even if the show was a bit removed from reality.

Once, some of their prop cocaine ended up in the Miami River and it ended up creating quite a hoopla. Until it was determined to be sham. :oops:

Good times. :sharebeer
I can’t imagine Miami during that time. Bless you.

Prop cocaine? Who would have ever thought.

Best.
Tony
They weren't allowed to use the "real" stuff for the show. (Imagine that fiasco. LOL.)

A story I can't swear to but I was told by other sworn personnel...

Supposedly Don Johnson was stopped by FL Highway Patrol for an infraction of one sort or another. Trooper approached and Don Johnson handed him his phony police ID from the show. The officer wasn't amused, said "this is a fake badge" and cited him. I can't swear to the authenticity of the story but that's what I heard.

One of the guys from my old group was an "extra" on Miami Vice as well as "Donnie Brasco". I worked UC for a while but not on film.

Thank you for the kind words. I enjoyed the work. (I worked on some of the cases depicted on "Narcos" and "The Infiltrator".)

Thanks for posting, interesting read. I really like Narcos, both versions. How did you feel the show was, pretty accurate?
Like any show, it takes liberties for the purposes of keeping the story line and drama moving right along...but, the original Narcos in Colombia was accurate enough that they actually mentioned the name of operations I personally worked on, as well as, to my surprise, the name of one of the agents I worked with in Miami. So, I would say it was pretty accurate in general.

(Also, as regards the tension between the CIA and DEA, and their working at cross purposes. If you want to see an example of this, here's a link to a "60 Minutes" clip focusing on an investigation I worked with a co-case agent for a few years in the early '90s: https://youtu.be/IF-IYdsFGrw . It had quite a bit of political and international intrigue. I had no idea this was going to be broadcast, nor did I participate in its making.)

My personal experience was much more directly involved with the Colombian / South American side of events than direct involvement in the Mexican ops. That said, when Kiki Camarena was murdered, it was a huge blow to all agents from various federal agencies. It was shortly after that event, and the infamous FBI shootout, that I transferred from NYC down to Miami.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

freakyfriday wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:20 pm I recently saw Evil Dead Rise (it was dreadful), and Missing (which was not so bad).
Wrong thread. Aren't those movies?
freakyfriday

Post by freakyfriday »

MDfan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:19 am
freakyfriday wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:20 pm I recently saw Evil Dead Rise (it was dreadful), and Missing (which was not so bad).
Wrong thread. Aren't those movies?
Oh yes!

In that case I'm rewatching Jonathan Creek highly recommended!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - The movie thread is here: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Blues wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:34 am (Also, as regards the tension between the CIA and DEA, and their working at cross purposes. If you want to see an example of this, here's a link to a "60 Minutes" clip focusing on an investigation I worked with a co-case agent for a few years in the early '90s: https://youtu.be/IF-IYdsFGrw . It had quite a bit of political and international intrigue. I had no idea this was going to be broadcast, nor did I participate in its making.)
Interesting.

1000 kilos of coccaine works out to about how many street sales?
Blues

Post by Blues »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:04 pm
Blues wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:34 am (Also, as regards the tension between the CIA and DEA, and their working at cross purposes. If you want to see an example of this, here's a link to a "60 Minutes" clip focusing on an investigation I worked with a co-case agent for a few years in the early '90s: https://youtu.be/IF-IYdsFGrw . It had quite a bit of political and international intrigue. I had no idea this was going to be broadcast, nor did I participate in its making.)
Interesting.

1000 kilos of coccaine works out to about how many street sales?
A lot. It gets stepped on a few times before it hits the street (at the consumer level). It would usually get handed off a few times before that.

(That particular consignment of cocaine never hit the street. I seized it and ended up arresting (and convicting) the entire organization, including a bad cop. But I discovered a pattern of shipments that had already been sent prior to our finding out about this operation.)

Making small street corner busts wasn't what we were involved in or about. We'd do entries on homes, commercial operations, warehouses, aircraft, and maritime vessels for "trafficking quantity" loads and take down the individuals and operations, then work our way back to the source...domestically as well as internationally.

Narcotics was only one of several areas of investigation I worked over the years. (But it was often the most fun.)