[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Youngblood

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Youngblood »

The Last Thing He Told Me on Apple+ TV.

We watched the first two episodes that were available and not planning on watching next week when the third becomes available.

Hopefully others will enjoy this mystery but we didn't.

Rated very high on the doze meter though.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"Floridaman" on Netflix is a short limited series. Decent portrayal of the son of a Philly mobster who "inherits" his fathers crime operations as opposed to earning them. Sends one of his gambling deadbeats down to Florida to find his GF who ran off and disappeared. I grew up near Philly and can attest I've met tough girls like her before. Lots of family drama and odd characters.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Capsu78 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:50 pm "Floridaman" on Netflix is a short limited series. Decent portrayal of the son of a Philly mobster who "inherits" his fathers crime operations as opposed to earning them. Sends one of his gambling deadbeats down to Florida to find his GF who ran off and disappeared. I grew up near Philly and can attest I've met tough girls like her before. Lots of family drama and odd characters.
We started watching last night. Got 3 or 4 episodes under our belts. Not the usual TV fare, but it has been an interesting watch so far.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Mystery Road: Origin - Prime/Acorn

Australian series that is a prequel to the prior Mystery Road series - concerning an aboriginal detective, Jay Swan. In this series, Jay is returning to his hometown, a remote mining town in the Outback where he is offered a job as a constable after graduating from some police academy. It's a slow burn, framed by the spectacular Outback cinematography, with a number of slow-developing plots. Part of the effectiveness of the series is in the depiction of the grim poverty of the aboriginals in and about the town, no punches pulled. We are half-way through, and thoroughly enjoying this. If you liked the previous Mystery Road series, I think this is a must-see.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Finished season 1 of "Trapped".

Multi-layered. Excellent actors, characters, story, setting, special effects and so on. It really draws you in, and amidst the drama there are some truly exciting sequences. Much better, IMO, than any of the other Scandi series, even though Iceland is technically not Scandi.

Funny though that the main star, Ólafur Darri Ólafsson, was born in Conneticut.

Not sure if I'll watch season 2 since it's apparently about a cult. Season 1 was a murder mystery, which is more my taste in crime series.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

roamingzebra wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:09 am Finished season 1 of "Trapped".

Multi-layered. Excellent actors, characters, story, setting, special effects and so on. It really draws you in, :D and amidst the drama there are some truly exciting sequences. Much better, IMO, than any of the other Scandi series, even though Iceland is technically not Scandi.

Not sure if I'll watch season 2 since it's apparently about a cult. Season 1 was a murder mystery, which is more my taste in crime series.
Ha! I’d never have guessed that the main star was born in Connecticut. He appears in a lot of other Icelandic shows.

Season 2 wasn’t imo as good as season 1, but there was a murder albeit in a cult (with motorcycle gang and all). :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

"Beef" on Netflix. A man and a woman get into a road rage incident. Pretty funny and surprisingly good. I'm up to episode 3 so far.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

FRANK2009 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:36 pm "Beef" on Netflix. A man and a woman get into a road rage incident. Pretty funny and surprisingly good. I'm up to episode 3 so far.
We just finished it last night. Our immediate reaction: "how did someone think of this story?" It was wild.
canidothat

Post by canidothat »

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
So far my favorite one after the Stardust Crusaders season
snapping moments–one bajillion buttons at a time
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

After a very good review in the WSJ I watched the first episode and half of the second episode of The Diplomat on Netflix. After watching I didn't understand what the show was about beyond a married couple both being called ambassador.

I then read the NYT review that's less complimentary, but still in positive territory, that suggests to me that I didn't appreciate the setup.

The series stars Keri Russell of The Americans as the new ambassador to Britain, and Rufus Sewell as her trailing husband, a former ambassador with more experience. The reviews bill it as partly a rom-com (I missed or don't recall that from the WSJ review), with allusions to the West Wing.

Now that I better understand the story approach I'll watch another episode. The acting is good. Lots of supporting roles that might grow into interesting characters.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Season 12 of Death in Paradise, on Amazon Prime with Britbox.

My favorite mystery series. Police on a fictional island in the Caribbean solve odd crimes, with humor from their personal lives.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:14 am
roamingzebra wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:09 am Finished season 1 of "Trapped".

Multi-layered. Excellent actors, characters, story, setting, special effects and so on. It really draws you in, :D and amidst the drama there are some truly exciting sequences. Much better, IMO, than any of the other Scandi series, even though Iceland is technically not Scandi.

Ha! I’d never have guessed that the main star was born in Connecticut. He appears in a lot of other Icelandic shows.

Season 2 wasn’t imo as good as season 1, but there was a murder albeit in a cult (with motorcycle gang and all). :D
I didn't know about his birthplace either. I've seen him in non-Icelandic shows too. Scandinavia can be defined as narrowly as Sweden, Norway and Denmark or include one or more of Finland, Iceland and the Faroes. I like the language aspects of foreign shows. I usually listen to them at least in part in original audio, even languages I don't speak. For example in Season 2 some of the original audio dialog with the Danish bikers is in Danish, some in English. The head biker chides one of the cops for speaking English, 'didn't you learn Danish in school?' which Icelandic students do. Iceland was ruled by and later affiliated with Denmark from the 16th century until WWII. But I've read that Norwegians are usually best at being able to make out Icelandic, to a limited degree. Icelandic uses few borrowed words for things that didn't exist in the time of Old Norse to which it's closely related, Icelanders have coined new Icelandic words for almost everything modern. That along with pronunciation loses speakers of Danish/Swedish/Norwegian who mainly just have to deal w/ 'funny' pronunciations to understand one another's languages. And I find if I watch D/S/N shows I can recognize a fair % of what they're saying in the original audio by referencing the English subtitles and a higher % comparing original subtitles to English audio. Some simple sentences are nearly the same in English and Danish, much less common in Icelandic.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

After a very good review in the WSJ I watched the first episode and half of the second episode of The Diplomat on Netflix. After watching I didn't understand what the show was about beyond a married couple both being called ambassador.

I then read the NYT review that's less complimentary, but still in positive territory, that suggests to me that I didn't appreciate the setup.

The series stars Keri Russell of The Americans as the new ambassador to Britain, and Rufus Sewell as her trailing husband, a former ambassador with more experience. The reviews bill it as partly a rom-com (I missed or don't recall that from the WSJ review), with allusions to the West Wing.

Now that I better understand the story approach I'll watch another episode. The acting is good. Lots of supporting roles that might grow into interesting characters.
We are down to the final two episodes of The Diplomat and I agree the acting is good but the storyline is strange. Not bad, just different. We will finish the season though.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

JackoC wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:23 am
Re: Ólafur Darri Ólafsson, the main star of "Trapped"...
I didn't know about his birthplace either. I've seen him in non-Icelandic shows too. Scandinavia can be defined as narrowly as Sweden, Norway and Denmark or include one or more of Finland, Iceland and the Faroes

I've since learned a way to get around the semantics: Nordic Noir. :)
Iceland was ruled by and later affiliated with Denmark from the 16th century until WWII.

Interesting. In Season 1, the captain of the car ferry was Danish and I sensed that in addition to the individual friction between he and the police, there was mild friction between the two countries.

Anyway, good to hear from someone who enjoys languages. I too enjoy foreign-language shows -- both for the different cultures, settings, and the sound of the languages.

And turning that around, I've given several English-language DVDs to a non-native speaking friend in the hopes of him learning better English pronunciation. So far, it hasn't worked, but hope springs eternal.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

We are watching Mum. This is a British show about inane people. We are also watching Th Night Agent on Netflix. This is about a low level FBI agent at the White House. Problems ensue. Exciting and fast paced, the complete opposite of Mum.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:03 pm
FRANK2009 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:36 pm "Beef" on Netflix. A man and a woman get into a road rage incident. Pretty funny and surprisingly good. I'm up to episode 3 so far.
We just finished it last night. Our immediate reaction: "how did someone think of this story?" It was wild.
We really enjoyed this show. While I wasnt a huge fan of the ending, it was still a great show and absolutely off the rails.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"War Sailor" on Netflix, a limited series, subtitled from Norwegian. Stories that take place during war time is one of my favorite genre's and I liked this a lot, but it can be a bit of a rough ride for some- there were some intense scenes that I just wanted to be over.
It would actually pair pretty well with "The Bombardment" in both tone and seriousness.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Conch55 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:54 am

We are down to the final two episodes of The Diplomat and I agree the acting is good but the storyline is strange. Not bad, just different. We will finish the season though.
I finished the last episode of season 1 last night. I say season 1 since it ends as if they hope there will be a s2.

DW gave up a few episodes before s1e8.

Despite the NYT review, it's not a rom or a com like any I've watched.

DW always reminds me that we never go for hyped shows. I lasted through the season for this one, but don't recommend it.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

heartwood wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:17 pm

I finished the last episode of season 1 last night. I say season 1 since it ends as if they hope there will be a s2.

DW always reminds me that we never go for hyped shows. I lasted through the season for this one, but don't recommend it.
Overall I enjoyed the season. Good acting, interesting characters, smart dialogue, interesting subject matter and a bit of suspense, even though the plot line is a bit out there.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I finished Season 1 of the Night Agent. It was pretty good. Good action. There were some serious story holes.

I finished season 3 of Mayor of Kingstown. It was pretty good. They keep the story moving. Again, serious holes in the story line. I guess that is pare for the course in modern tv.

I've watched the first 4 of The Diplomat (Netflix). It is pretty good. It has an unrealistic twist..but still entertaining.

If you see a theme....there is one. I understand these are just series or movies. They are obviously fiction. Fine. But when fiction goes from 1 out of 10 past 4 out of 10...we are entering fantasy world.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:09 pm I finished Season 1 of the Night Agent. It was pretty good. Good action. There were some serious story holes.
I liked "Night Agent" on Netflix.
It reminded me a lot of "24" with Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer, e.g. the ever-changing alliances.
mkbkxepq

Post by mkbkxepq »

roamingzebra wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:09 am

I think yinz are missing a season of Trapped. Season 3 is the Biker Gang and does have a different feel than the first two.

Season 1 was the Ferry/Warehouse Fire. Season 2 was about a polluting power plant and a family with a dark past. Season 2 is really good!

We spent a few days in Siglufjörður Iceland several years ago. It was awesome to see fictionalized town in the show, including the outside of our Airbnb.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

doobiedoo wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:08 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:09 pm I finished Season 1 of the Night Agent. It was pretty good. Good action. There were some serious story holes.
It reminded me a lot of "24" with Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer, e.g. the ever-changing alliances.
You guys may also enjoy Rabbit Hole also starring KieferS. It's airing now. It too is a bit over the top plotwise. But it's quite well done for this genre. (Plus it's filmed in downtown Toronto so I can recognize many of the locations...)
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

mkbkxepq wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:18 am

I think yinz are missing a season of Trapped. Season 3 is the Biker Gang and does have a different feel than the first two.

Season 1 was the Ferry/Warehouse Fire. Season 2 was about a polluting power plant and a family with a dark past. Season 2 is really good!

We spent a few days in Siglufjörður Iceland several years ago. It was awesome to see fictionalized town in the show, including the outside of our Airbnb.
You're right. During peak COVID we watched so much that shows blended together, especially with foreign shows that have a more limited number of actors (eg, there's on Dutch actor who I swear is in every Dutch series).

I know what you mean about locations. There is a popular spot on many shows where our son's apartment near the High Line is visible; my wife points it out every time. :D
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Just finished season 1 of the Bureau. This is a very good show. I’m not typically a fan of doing subtitles but this show is worth it.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

mkbkxepq wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:18 am

There does seem to be some confusion between "Trapped" and "Entrapped" -- the latter apparently a scaled down series for English viewers. I don't know if that is a factor here. But I'll track down season 2 of "Trapped" at some point.
Awesome. Looked from the series like an amazing place.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

JBTX wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:11 pm Just finished season 1 of the Bureau. This is a very good show. I’m not typically a fan of doing subtitles but this show is worth it.
Glad you like it. It only gets better.

I'm currently watching "Shetland" and loving it. It requires subtitles unless one is proficient at Scottish accents.

I recall Blues being annoyed at some point in the show ("Shetland"), though I don't remember why. I'm pretty sure I haven't reached that point since it's been consistent from the starting gate to early Season 3, which is where I am right now.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

Hunter: 1984 ‧ Drama ‧ 7 seasons
I'd like to see criminals get caught. I watched some episodes in the 80's. Now I have time to enjoy each episode one by one.

When there are not things to watch, we go back to the random episode of Downton Abbey and Golden Girls.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Finally started watching the “24” series!

Enjoying it!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:54 pm Finally started watching the “24” series!

Enjoying it!

Best.
Tony
Power through and watch before any temptation to read about it. Do not read anything about it. Stay away from all forums.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Tubes wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:26 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:54 pm Finally started watching the “24” series!

Enjoying it!

Best.
Tony
Power through and watch before any temptation to read about it. Do not read anything about it. Stay away from all forums.
Appreciate that!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

The Mandolorian - Season 3 - Weakest of the 3 seasons made thus far, typical Star Wars popcorn-fluff, and no where near the quality of the higher bar set by the Andor series. Still,did we enjoy it? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes...
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Beef is fantastic.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:27 am
You guys may also enjoy Rabbit Hole also starring KieferS. It's airing now. It too is a bit over the top plotwise. But it's quite well done for this genre. (Plus it's filmed in downtown Toronto so I can recognize many of the locations...)

Rabbit Hole is miles better than The Night Agent. Really bad acting in Night Agent.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

MDfan wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:06 am
Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:27 am
Rabbit Hole is miles better than The Night Agent. Really bad acting in Night Agent.
Thanks for the tip on "Rabbit Hole." I need to check that out. Kiefer Sutherland was terrific in "24." On the other hand, I thought "Night Agent" was just okay, though I enjoyed watching it.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Mr. Bean on PBS with Rowan Atkinson. These shows date from the early 90s. Some pretty funny stuff if you’re into that kind of thing. I liked him in Black Adder too, actually more.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

We finished "the White Lotus 2" last night. I found it wanting. I hope they don’t do a third.
olefoodie

Post by olefoodie »

MDfan wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:04 am
Beef is fantastic.
I enjoyed this one as well, although the further I got into the story, the more cringe-worthy/uncomfortable it got.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

olefoodie wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:48 am
MDfan wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:04 am
Beef is fantastic.
I enjoyed this one as well, although the further I got into the story, the more cringe-worthy/uncomfortable it got.
We wrapped it up last night. I never got the cringeworthy anxiety with an overbearing dose of that type of suspense that always turns me off. Where I usually reciprocate, I got more laughs out of this one. It was a different type of show to pass the time. DW was mostly disinterested in the first few episodes, but the series grew on her. We decided that we could take or leave a second season if one materializes.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:02 pm
JBTX wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:11 pm Just finished season 1 of the Bureau. This is a very good show. I’m not typically a fan of doing subtitles but this show is worth it.

I'm currently watching "Shetland" and loving it. It requires subtitles unless one is proficient at Scottish accents.

I recall Blues being annoyed at some point in the show ("Shetland"), though I don't remember why. I'm pretty sure I haven't reached that point since it's been consistent from the starting gate to early Season 3, which is where I am right now.
Finished season 5. It really is a great show and ends appropriately. By the time I finished I didn’t even notice I was reading subtitles.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

AlohaBill wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm We finished "the White Lotus 2" last night. I found it wanting. I hope they don’t do a third.
Sorry to hear that. They are scheduled to do a third.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:13 am
AlohaBill wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm We finished "the White Lotus 2" last night. I found it wanting. I hope they don’t do a third.
Good show. Glad they're doing a 3rd season. I liked 2 better than 1, but they were both good.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

heartwood wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:17 pm

We finished the first season last night. Very enjoyable as entertainment. Well-written and well-acted even if rather implausible.

As for Season 2, it's been confirmed. The White House Called: ‘The Diplomat’ Season 2 Is Official
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I got through season 1 of the Diplomat. It was slow moving to me. A lot of details I didn't care about. I almost gave up half way through. I saw it was renewed for another season and the season 1 ending was good so I might get sucked back in.

I watched 2 or 3 episodes of True Lies. Bad/Silly. Done with that. I'd be surprised if that got a second season.

I'm caught up on Succession. That goes into a lot of business details similar to how the Diplomat went into diplomatic details but Succession is a lot more interesting and entertaining.

I'm also caught up on Rabbit Hole which I really like. Sure, it is far fetched, but entertaining with a lot of twists.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

School Spirits
Teen Wolf season 2
Picard season 3

Got a P+ sub.

Recommend all of the above.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

JBTX wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:44 am

Finished season 5. It really is a great show and ends appropriately. By the time I finished I didn’t even notice I was reading subtitles.
I'm almost done with Season 5 of "Shetland" and have loved every minute of it. Though Season 4 was my favorite. The acting is so natural, especially by the two leads. The expressions on Doug Henshall's face speak volumes. Most of the time his character is relaxed (relatively relaxed given his occupation) and he stops to show kindness and patience with the people around him. When confronting bad guys he's calm and casual in body language but with a priceless look of skepticism.

Also love his character's interaction with his detective sergeant. "Tosh" always knows what to do; everything between the two is understood and she's treated like an equal.

And the stint in Bergan, Norway had me reaching for a map to find out exactly where Shetland was. Yep, the two locations are close. I read in a web forum where the question was asked whether or not Shetlanders got Amazon deliveries. Funny question and the answer is yes, but it makes one think about how different life would be in such an isolated location.

Anyway, "Shetland" is just absolutely a well-done series, recommended to all.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

MDfan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:17 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:13 am
Good show. Glad they're doing a 3rd season. I liked 2 better than 1, but they were both good.
I liked Season 2 better because having been to Italy, I recognized some of the cultural stuff and the characters and the delightful rapid-fire Italian, all which made me chuckle a bit. Also because the most dramatic scene involved someone I didn't think I cared at all about until the big moment came and I realized I did care. Maybe it's just me, but I'll never forget that scene.

Plus, Season 1 had some cringe-worthy stuff I could have done without.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Kaleidoscope on Netflix. Stars Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul), Rufus Sewell (The Diplomat) and Paz Vega among others. The premise of the show is good, a bit like the Oceans movies but doesn't quite get it done in my opinion. We finished the series.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Conch55 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:41 pm Kaleidoscope on Netflix. Stars Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul), Rufus Sewell (The Diplomat) and Paz Vega among others. The premise of the show is good, a bit like the Oceans movies but doesn't quite get it done in my opinion. We finished the series.
We tried to watch this and lasted like two episodes. Agree, the premise is interesting, but it just doesn't work.

We're currently making our way through the final season of "Better Call Saul". Think we're on episode 3.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:48 pm
JBTX wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:44 am

I'm almost done with Season 5 of "Shetland" and have loved every minute of it. Though Season 4 was my favorite. The acting is so natural, especially by the two leads. The expressions on Doug Henshall's face speak volumes. Most of the time his character is relaxed (relatively relaxed given his occupation) and he stops to show kindness and patience with the people around him. When confronting bad guys he's calm and casual in body language but with a priceless look of skepticism.

Also love his character's interaction with his detective sergeant. "Tosh" always knows what to do; everything between the two is understood and she's treated like an equal.

And the stint in Bergan, Norway had me reaching for a map to find out exactly where Shetland was. Yep, the two locations are close. I read in a web forum where the question was asked whether or not Shetlanders got Amazon deliveries. Funny question and the answer is yes, but it makes one think about how different life would be in such an isolated location.

Anyway, "Shetland" is just absolutely a well-done series, recommended to all.
I’ll give it a shot. What streaming platform are you watching? From what I could tell I’d have to purchase Britbox on Amazon.