[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sunsetting101

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by sunsetting101 »

Started watching Cunk On Earth on Netflix. Absolutely non-stop silly, witty, overt, subtle, and every type of humor. It's a mockumentary of history.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Kagord wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:50 am Just started Baptiste season 1 (PBS Masterpiece) I had PVR'd for quite some time. Really enjoying it with the dw.

Tcheky Karyo is a good actor. You should check out “The Missing”, we liked both seasons!
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:09 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:10 pm
I am 3 episodes into it. I find it to be slow moving. It is interesting how much effort goes into all of the spying down to mundane things most of us wouldn't even consider. I suspect that this show is actually a lot more realistic than most other spy tv shows or movies with the vast majority of the work being in setting things up vs the action/glamour of it all. I don't know that it is more compelling to watch for me though. I mean 3 episodes in and no one has been shot, jumped out of an airplane, been in a high speed auto chase, driven an exotic car, etc. :shock:
I'l admit that I didn't find the first few episodes that interesting. In fact, IIRC, there were a number of scenes where I was having trouble following what was going on and telling some of the characters apart. I'm guessing it was maybe eight or nine episodes in, maybe even longer -- when we start to know the characters and the plots start to thicken -- that it became engrossing. It's well worth being patient. It will suck you in the same way as "Breaking Bad" and "Better Call Saul", only its about spying not drug-manufacturing or lawyering.

One of our top 5 shows we have ever seen. I find the best shows are the ones where it takes multiple episodes to get to know the characters. If we see a show where you find out pretty much everything about the main characters in the first episode, we usually turn it off rather quickly!
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Kagord wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:43 am Another library DVD run...

The Missing, Season 1 (2014) and 2 (2016), BBC, Starz in US

Albeit older, but for me new. This is one of the best shows I have seen over the last few years, and I think season 2 is better than season 1 (and season 1 is very good). Excellent production of missing child crime drama that switches back and forth between different time periods. Each season is one story, 8 episodes each. Holds interest, does have some disturbing moments, I don't usually binge watch, but well, the last 4 episodes season 2, dw and I had to get through it.

Great show and I agree. Not often where season 2 is better than 1!
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Watched the first two episodes of STATION ELEVEN on HBO. I read the book and loved it, but it was so long ago I remember very little about the plot. So far I'm really liking the show.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just finished "House of the Dragon" Season 1 streaming on HBO. I liked it, looking forward to a season 2 if they make one. I like that there is frequent recasting and long time jumps between episodes because it makes me feel more confident they won't repeat the rushed feeling of Game of Thrones: Season 8.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

MoonOrb wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:28 pm Watched the first two episodes of STATION ELEVEN on HBO. I read the book and loved it, but it was so long ago I remember very little about the plot. So far I'm really liking the show.
It gets better after episode 2. I almost quit on 2.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Re-watching The Queen's Gambit and skipping through some
of the more morose parts and enjoying how Elizabeth discovered
her unusual gift as a chess prodigy and progressed onward
by summarily dispatching opponents one by one.
Even a setback is rectified in the end. Love this series.
Last edited by wilson08 on Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
judge1905

Post by judge1905 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:14 pm Working through Counterpart on Prime. Starring the wondrous JK Simmons in dual roles in a convoluted and tense espionage drama with sci-fi overtones. Definitely not for the "wholesome" crowd. Really enjoying this series, it got a 100% rating on Rottentomatoes.com.
One of my favorite series, and definitely deserved more attention.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

judge1905 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:42 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:14 pm Working through Counterpart on Prime. Starring the wondrous JK Simmons in dual roles in a convoluted and tense espionage drama with sci-fi overtones. Definitely not for the "wholesome" crowd. Really enjoying this series, it got a 100% rating on Rottentomatoes.com.
Really good series that almost nobody has heard about.
E5797

Post by E5797 »

I've started watching two shows set in 1960's England on Britbox.

_Heartbeat_ and _The Royal_

I think both were filmed in the late 90's

Heartbeat: A London cop moves to rural Yorkshire with his physician wife
The Royal: A spinoff of Heartbeat that follows live in a 1960's cottage hospital. Like a 1960's ER hospital drama.

Both have an excellent soundtrack with 60's music. I'm loving them both!
audiophile1

Post by audiophile1 »

Ozark, currently half way through the second season. This is addictive!
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Finished season 6 of Grantchester and season 3 of All Creatures Great and Small. Predictable but enjoyable shows, a good break from heavier fare.

Finished season 1 of Night Sky on Prime. Slow-burn sci-fi that gradually builds up to the big finale only to have the first season ending in multiple cliff-hangers. Of course, season 2 was not green-lighted due to lack of audience numbers and production costs. I thought this show was vastly underrated - with good performances by JK Simmons and Sissy Spacek. I was intrigued by the core concept of the show - is it alien or not?

Currently watching Criminal Minds: Evolution. Now that it's streaming and not on broadcast TV, they are taking advantage. It took a bit of an adjustment to get used to the profanity and to see the show taking a darker and more violent turn but we are liking it.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Just finished season 1 of The Outlaws. Somehow, I got distracted a while back and forgot I was keeping up with this show. I just remembered and watched the last two season 1 episodes. I now see there is another season. That's good news!

It is a very engaging show. As has been mentioned above, it has Christopher Walken as a series regular, one of about 7 or 8. They are ALL great. I have an observation about both Walken and William Shatner. They are each famous less for any particular role, but more for being who they are! Neither one ever disappoints.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

audiophile1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:17 pm Ozark, currently half way through the second season. This is addictive!
Ozark is incredible. It's not quite Breaking Bad levels of amazing but its pretty close. They really didnt have a bad episode IMO. Enjoy the ride :happy
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Watching the Stand mini series. And Kal Penn on the Daily Show recently has been awesome.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Cafe, on Amazon Prime.

Just two seasons and 15 episodes, a comedy about a cafe operated by a mother, daughter, an grandmother and in a seaside resort town in England.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Very much enjoyed The law according to Lidia Poet on Netflix.

Also enjoyed two of the Star Trek series on Paramount+ - Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and Star Trek: Lower Decks (I'm a sucker for clever animation).

Finally, the past few days I've been watching the last available season - season 8 - of Perry Mason on Paramount+. Well written stories and time travel - those big dinosaur cars, southern CA in the 1950s. No one has a cell phone - although Paul Drake does have a phone in his car 8-)
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:33 am
judge1905 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:42 pm
Really good series that almost nobody has heard about.
Great show too bad only 2 seasons.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

jjunk wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:06 pm
audiophile1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:17 pm Ozark, currently half way through the second season. This is addictive!
Ozark is incredible. It's not quite Breaking Bad levels of amazing but its pretty close. They really didnt have a bad episode IMO. Enjoy the ride :happy
Agreed. I love series that feature smart people. Both "Breaking Bad" and "Ozark" had intelligence in spades. (Makes me envious haha). But these smart people make a lot of bad decisions so us lesser mortals can feel a little smug that way.

I'm watching a different series but also with smart people, aptly named "My Brilliant Friend". It features life in a working-class neighborhood in Naples in the fifties and two little girls, later women, who struggle in their hard-scrabble existence -- surrounded by violence and what appears to be Italian mafia activity -- to learn and get an education...with some academic competition along the way.

Before that, I watched "Inspector Morse", a true British classic. Guess I'll have to try out "Endeavour".
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

"Sherlock", my favorite Netflix show of all time, is currently available on Prime. It is not available on Netflix.

"Extraordinary Attorney Woo" from South Korea is on Netflix.
It is excellent.

Kudos forever to "The Big Bang". On reruns everywhere.

I am both amused and entertained by shows with mildly autistic characters.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I am currently watching March Madness- Iowa vs Louisville. Fantastic basketball. Iowa is up 85-69 right now.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"The Recruit" on Netflix. I enjoyed it and actually found it quite funny at times. It's over the top at times but well written and good character development. Season 2 has just been green lit.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

vbdoug wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:18 pm "Sherlock", my favorite Netflix show of all time, is currently available on Prime. It is not available on Netflix.

It is excellent.

As someone with high-functioning autism, IMO "The Big Bang" is darn near unwatchable. I have no clue what the appeal of that show is. "Sherlock" is fantastic though.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:56 pm
vbdoug wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:18 pm "Sherlock", my favorite Netflix show of all time, is currently available on Prime. It is not available on Netflix.

It is excellent.

As someone with high-functioning autism, IMO "The Big Bang" is darn near unwatchable. I have no clue what the appeal of that show is. "Sherlock" is fantastic though.
I have watched a few minutes of The Big Bang. No idea why it was so popular, except perhaps for the combination of eye candy and disdain for science. Unwatchable except for a few minutes.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Loved The Big Bang Theory. While not in the top tier of sitcoms, it rarely had a bad episode.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:56 pm

It is excellent.

I watched a few episodes of "Sherlock", but realized I'd need to watch it with subtitles since he talked so fast. Never got around to it.

More recently, I watched "Astrid et Raphaelle", which enforced the use of subtitles since the show is in French, and man does Astrid talk fast. Anyway, not only was Astrid autistic, but she was part of an autism support group. Some of the other members besides herself had special skills that could be used in solving crimes. Were the portrayals of autism realistic? I don't know. But the viewer ends up liking the characters, sympathizing with them, and admiring them for their talents.

As for "The Big Bang", it never appealed to me because it looked like a situation comedy in the commercials...something I'm not a big fan of.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

Rabbit Hole, Kieffer Sutherland on Paramount+
The twists and turns just keep coming! And a laugh here and there mixed in with heavy drama and intrigue.
Has kept my interest through first 2 episodes, eager for 3.
79-97 on ROTTENTOMATOES.COM
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

roamingzebra wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:39 pm

I watched a few episodes of "Sherlock", but realized I'd need to watch it with subtitles since he talked so fast. Never got around to it.
I loved "Sherlock" -- in particular the early seasons. The final denouement in the final season was off-the-wall odd. Part of the fun was figuring out which of Conan Doyle's stories were being referenced -- e.g., "The Six Thatchers" being a sly reference to the "Six Napoleons."
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

runner26 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:58 pm Rabbit Hole, Kieffer Sutherland on Paramount+
The twists and turns just keep coming! And a laugh here and there mixed in with heavy drama and intrigue.
Has kept my interest through first 2 episodes, eager for 3.
79-97 on ROTTENTOMATOES.COM
I’ll check it out. Waiting for Picard to wrap up before getting P+ again.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Matahari wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:39 pm

I loved "Sherlock" -- in particular the early seasons. The final denouement in the final season was off-the-wall odd. Part of the fun was figuring out which of Conan Doyle's stories were being referenced -- e.g., "The Six Thatchers" being a sly reference to the "Six Napoleons."
It’s great. But this is the Doctor Who guy. Some of his plots go off the rails.

I’d also recommend Life on Mars if you like Sherlock and the follow up Ashes to Ashes. Both are on BritBox with original music that even the DVDs don’t have.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Building off the Grid
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Just finished re-watching Limitless with Chris Hemsworth. 6 part documentary on Disney Plus. They review different parts of the aging process and how the body/mind works and possible ways of fighting the various effects of aging (stress, fasting, strength, brain, extreme temperatures and dying). It is a wonderful documentary and well worth your time to watch.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

rockstar wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:44 pm

I’d also recommend Life on Mars if you like Sherlock and the follow up Ashes to Ashes. Both are on BritBox with original music that even the DVDs don’t have.
Thanks for the recommendations. I've never watched Doctor Who, but know that Steven Moffat is/was involved in both that series and Sherlock. I do have Britbox.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Matahari wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:00 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I've never watched Doctor Who, but know that Steven Moffat is/was involved in both that series and Sherlock. I do have Britbox.
Gobsmacked!
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Mr.BB wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:59 pm Just finished re-watching Limitless with Chris Hemsworth. 6 part documentary on Disney Plus. They review different parts of the aging process and how the body/mind works and possible ways of fighting the various effects of aging (stress, fasting, strength, brain, extreme temperatures and dying). It is a wonderful documentary and well worth your time to watch.
I noticed you recommended this to me. Thanks. We do not have Disney+ and have no plans to do so, otherwise this completely up my alley (it's pretty much what I do for a living).
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Matahari wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:00 pm Thanks for the recommendations. I've never watched Doctor Who, but know that Steven Moffat is/was involved in both that series and Sherlock.
I'm not much of a Dr. Who fan although I have seen one season, the one with the Blink episode. I was so impressed with that episode I bought the season's DVD.

Blink is a Steven Moffat story and is my favorite of the few episodes I have seen, including all on that season's DVD. It is interesting in that the Doctor is in only a few scenes, beginning and end as kind of a wrapper.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Capsu78 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:24 pm "The Recruit" on Netflix. I enjoyed it and actually found it quite funny at times. It's over the top at times but well written and good character development. Season 2 has just been green lit.
Oh, and if you are "on the fence" about this series, I have 2 words for you- Torture Robot! :D
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

bertilak wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:53 pm
Matahari wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:00 pm Thanks for the recommendations. I've never watched Doctor Who, but know that Steven Moffat is/was involved in both that series and Sherlock.
I'm not much of a Dr. Who fan although I have seen one season, the one with the Blink episode. I was so impressed with that episode I bought the season's DVD.

Blink is a Steven Moffat story and is my favorite of the few episodes I have seen, including all on that season's DVD. It is interesting in that the Doctor is in only a few scenes, beginning and end as kind of a wrapper.
I think "The Day of the Doctor" is an excellent episode you might want to check out.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

The Big Bang Theory is funny if you're in the right demographic. As a somewhat geeky guy who always did well in school and is a fan of the various TV shows and movies the main characters like, I saw a lot of myself and my friends in the characters and could, to an extent, relate to their experiences.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:04 pm
Matahari wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:00 pm

Gobsmacked!
I concede that is an appropriate reaction by "TheTimeLord"! :happy (I am generally aware of a few "Doctor Who" names and terms.)
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

bertilak wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:53 pm

Thanks! I will check it out.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I just finished watching Iowa vs South Carolina, Iowa winning 77-73. Fantastic game, and Caitlin Clark and the rest of the team are amazing to watch.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
retireIn2020

Post by retireIn2020 »

I streamed the entire season of "The Recruit" on Netflix in one day. I guess I liked it! :D

I started at dinner time and stayed up way too late.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie »

That 70's Show.....I can't give it up! Seeing if I remember anything I did
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Three Pines, on Amazon. The first episode looks good.

I just finished all four seasons of Fauda, on Netflix. This is a series worth watching. It's a very different approach from what you'd see in the news. Lots of drama and action.

I also liked the way they changed the spoken language (Arabic, Hebrew, English) to introduce a perspective.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I tried the new Rob Lowe show on Netflix after reading about it in a couple of places. He's a biotech billionaire. It's billed as a comedy series.

No joy for me!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

FedGuy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:39 pm The Big Bang Theory is funny if you're in the right demographic. As a somewhat geeky guy who always did well in school and is a fan of the various TV shows and movies the main characters like, I saw a lot of myself and my friends in the characters and could, to an extent, relate to their experiences.
I'm autistic, skipped a grade and then graduated a semester early to go to UCLA, where I double majored in two scientific disciplines. I make my living as a scientist, but maybe I don't fit the prototypical "geeky" profile as I played football, baseball, and track in high school and football in college, and I am not into fantasy and sci-fi. I am far more Christian Wolff (Ben Affleck) from "The Accountant" autistic then Sheldon Cooper from "Big Bang Theory" autistic. I can't relate to the characters at all (IMO they are caricatures of ASD/nerdy individuals - I guess that's why it's a spectrum) and the laugh tracks are so cringey.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Hope Street, on Amazon Prime with Britbox.

This is an interesting police drama set in a small seaside town in Northern Ireland, starring almost entirely local talent.

Recommended.

Trailer
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Annika - Season 1 on Amazon Prime via PBS Masterpiece.

We ended up really liking this show about a marine homicide unit stationed in Glasgow or near it, that focused on murders occurring in the local waterways. The primary character, Nicola, the lead detective, is constantly talking to the audience, breaking the so-called 4th wall I guess, which took some adjustment for us, but we gradually warmed up to her quirky traits and offbeat humor.

Only 6 episodes for the 1st season, but a 2nd season is on the way.