[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
homebuyer6426

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:08 pm If you haven't already you may want to try Firefly! It has a single season and a movie called Serenity.
Thanks, I really need to give that one a proper chance. Tried one episode a long time ago, but if so many people recommend it I must have missed something.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

I finished Bosch Legacy on Amazon and started Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix. They are both pretty good but not great.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:46 am Working our way through Star Trek: The Next Generation this year. On season 4 currently. Last year, we got through 4 seasons of Takeshi's Castle. Before that it was The Expanse, and before that Farscape (best sci-fi TV show ever made). We also like the original Japanese Iron Chef. And the whole Twin Peaks 3 or 4 times.
Farscape, wow that brings back memories, totally forgot about that show!
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Recently watched 3 seasons (18 episodes) of Hap & Leonard on Netflix. It was described as swamp noir so take that for what it's worth. The show covers the usual subject matter of crime, racism, dysfunctional families, sexual preference, bad hombres, etc. Having said that I enjoyed the main characters and the storyline. ymmv.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

sid hartha wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:43 pm I finished Bosch Legacy on Amazon and started Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix. They are both pretty good but not great.
Without Crate & Barrel, why watch? :wink:
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but we've been catching up on the latest season of "The Ultimate Fighter" because one of my wife's training partners (Kaytlin Neil) was a competitor on the show. She unfortunately lost in the semis. Kaytlin is actually the 4th person who trains at our gym to be on the show.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

We just binged the third season of Blown Away. As usual, it was incredible to watch these artists create. Having a few from the PNW made it all the more interesting. Definitely worth watching.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

bertilak wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:15 pm
sid hartha wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:43 pm I finished Bosch Legacy on Amazon and started Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix. They are both pretty good but not great.
Without Crate & Barrel, why watch? :wink:
Haha, yes love those guys. They do have small parts and it was nice to see them again. It would be great if they gave them their own show.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

galectin wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:19 pm The DW and I just finished Republic of Doyle on Netflix. It is a detective comedy based in Newfoundland. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
We just ran across this one. Not what I expected. I thought it was going to be one of those "gritty" police shows. Didn't expect a comedy. It is enjoyable. We'll see how it holds up.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
black jack

Post by black jack »

roamingzebra wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:42 am
black jack wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:24 am Spurred into action by word that The Americans was leaving Amazon Prime Video at the end of this month, I started watching it.

So far (four episodes in), I like it: spy thriller/troubled marriage combo. I like the character of Philip, the husband. I wonder what Russians thought of this show.

There are 71 more 50-minute episodes; I don't think I'm going to make it to episode 75 by Sunday night.
That's too bad. Philip was the one who had the biggest character arc. (Or perhaps I should say the biggest character evolution).
I'm doing my best; I'm halfway through Season 2 now.

I'm late to the party on this show (2013-2018); for those who may also be late to this party, I'm really liking it. It's a spy thriller/family drama/office life combo, and does a good job in all spheres.

Not just my opinion—there's a separate Wikipedia entry for all the nominations and accolades this show received. It's in Breaking Bad territory.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Finished "The Boys" season 3 on Amazon Prime Video. Not my favorite season so far but as usual the acting and production value is through the roof.

Finished "Better Call Saul" season 5 on Netflix streaming. This show is so good on so many levels!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Elsebet wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:12 am Finished "Better Call Saul" season 5 on Netflix streaming. This show is so good on so many levels!
Season 6 goes to insane good. Don't open any discussions on it or you get major spoilers.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Good Place on Netflix. An entertaining light-hearted sit-com. I've watched most of Season 1 and love the subtle humor.

I just finished the last season of Peaky Blinders and was disappointed. The only reason I watched to the end is because I wanted to see how it played out. At least it wasn't as bad as the last season of Dexter.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Death in Paradise. It's like Midsommer Murders, set on a beautiful Caribbean island.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

We’re watching "the White Lotus". This is supposed to be a drama comedy about rich white people in a 5 star resort on Maui. I found that the cinematography to be wanting. They blur the long shots of the islands and resort.
I cannot believe that people can be so dumb. All they do is stay at the resort. They are not there to experience Hawaiian culture. I can’t believe that they are rich and so bereft of knowledge. Oh well four more chapter to go.
We are also watching "Castle" . Interesting stories. Likable characters. We couldn’t get ABC on our antenna, back in the day, so watching it on dvd from the library.
I’d like to watch "Lexx" but can’t get it at my library.
Oh, we’re also watching "Halo". Not bad so far. I used to watch my youngest son play the game with his friend on the other side of town and two guys from Montreal. I thought that was amazing!
Aloha
ososnilknarf

Post by ososnilknarf »

Severance.
It is super trippy! Like a Philip K. Dick inspired version of Office Space.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:15 pm
Elsebet wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:08 pm If you haven't already you may want to try Firefly! It has a single season and a movie called Serenity.
Thanks, I really need to give that one a proper chance. Tried one episode a long time ago, but if so many people recommend it I must have missed something.
The first episode of "Firefly" is the pilot. They were still trying to sort out the tone and characterization, and if I recall correctly that episode was not originally aired. The second episode is essentially a "redo" that takes the elements of the first episode as a given but summarizes them on the assumption that you haven't seen it. You probably need to see at least the second episode, and ideally one or two more, to have a decent sense of what the show is like.
MrWasabi65

Post by MrWasabi65 »

Black Bird on Apple TV - it's been holding my attention which isn't easy to do, but I can't lie - it's absolutely no Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul...

And those two, while great, can't begin to compare with the best....Sopranos and Mad Men.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:53 pm Black Bird on Apple TV - it's been holding my attention which isn't easy to do, but I can't lie - it's absolutely no Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul...

And those two, while great, can't begin to compare with the best....Sopranos and Mad Men.
It started off a bit hokey, but the acting and writing are much better than usual. I stopped but restarted; glad that I did.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:18 pm
MrWasabi65 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:53 pm Black Bird on Apple TV - it's been holding my attention which isn't easy to do, but I can't lie - it's absolutely no Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul...

It started off a bit hokey, but the acting and writing are much better than usual. I stopped but restarted; glad that I did.
I think I got to the fourth episode and just didn't care what happened anymore.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:20 pm

I can see that happening. Fwiw, have you seen many better acted villains?

ETA: you're a pro and I'm an amateur when it comes to being around bad guys, but he was spooky to me.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:21 pm
Blues wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:20 pm

I can see that happening. Fwiw, have you seen many better acted villains?

ETA: you're a pro and I'm an amateur when it comes to being around bad guys, but he was spooky to me.
Didn't resonate. I thought it was overdone and a bit cheesy. Wanted to like it...and gave it my best shot.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Old Man” on FX.

Enjoying this series a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Man_(TV_series)

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:36 pm
I just finished the last season of Peaky Blinders and was disappointed. The only reason I watched to the end is because I wanted to see how it played out. At least it wasn't as bad as the last season of Dexter.
I thought it was horrible. I liked all the earlier seasons.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:39 pm “The Old Man” on FX.

Best.
Tony
I recently finished watching this show. Enjoyed it a lot as well.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:46 pm

Best.
Tony
Season 2 given the green light.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:34 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:46 pm

Best.
Tony
Season 2 given the green light.

Best.
Tony
Thanks for the great news!
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

Reservation Dogs on Hulu. It's a comedy/drama about young people living on a reservation. Created by the guy who gave us JoJo Rabbit.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

MikeWillRetire wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:35 pm Reservation Dogs on Hulu. It's a comedy/drama about young people living on a reservation. Created by the guy who gave us JoJo Rabbit.
Yea or nay?

I just watched Prey on Hulu which had a better portrayal of Native Americans than typical for mainstream media in my opinion and I liked the humanness of the characters. That said it’s in the Predator series of sci-fi (hunting alien) which I’m not a huge fan. Nonetheless, I liked it quite a bit.

But how is Reservation Dogs?

Four indigenous teenagers in rural Oklahoma steal, rob, and save in order to get to the exotic, mysterious, and faraway land of California.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

typical.investor wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:03 pm
MikeWillRetire wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:35 pm Reservation Dogs on Hulu. It's a comedy/drama about young people living on a reservation. Created by the guy who gave us JoJo Rabbit.
Yea or nay?

I'm enjoying it. So Yea.
sedonashine

Post by sedonashine »

https://youtu.be/mphg2feuAPo national park service LIVE STREAM of brown bears fishing salmon in Alaska...mesmerizing! cameras run on solar..so if it's too dark..try again later~share with a nature lover!
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Binged The Sandman on Netflix.
A terrific take on the Neil Gaiman comic of the late 80's early 90's. Morpheus, AKA Dream aka The Sandman (a member of the Endless, immortal beings that are embodiments of natural forces) is captured by a mortal and kept prisoner for a hundred years. In his absence, The Dreaming, the land of Dreams and Nightmares humans visit when they sleep, deteriorates and a Nightmare is stalking the mortal world, killing at will. Dream must escape his prison, go on a quest to recover his items of Power, restore the dreaming and gain control of the Nightmares. On the way he meets some of his siblings, including Death and Desire. He also pays a visit to Hell to confront Lucifer. There are multiple DC easter eggs, including a gender swapped Constantine. One of the best comic adaptations ever. Highly recommended.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Yea or nay?

I just watched Prey on Hulu which had a better portrayal of Native Americans than typical for mainstream media in my opinion and I liked the humanness of the characters. That said it’s in the Predator series of sci-fi (hunting alien) which I’m not a huge fan. Nonetheless, I liked it quite a bit.

Four indigenous teenagers in rural Oklahoma steal, rob, and save in order to get to the exotic, mysterious, and faraway land of California.
It's silly funny. If Native Americans being portrayed in an unflattering way is a concern, it's probably something you're not going to like.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sedonashine wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:08 pm https://youtu.be/mphg2feuAPo national park service LIVE STREAM of brown bears fishing salmon in Alaska...mesmerizing! cameras run on solar..so if it's too dark..try again later~share with a nature lover!
Here's a map link to location https://www.google.com/maps/place/Katma ... 55.0631051

It was dark in Alaska when I first watched, nothing but some branches moving and what looked like snow, but from the temperature is rain, then the camera seemed to zoom in on a bear in a thermal image. The bear spent some time focused on the water below it. Then it left and the screen went back to dark with the branches.

I'll check again later. Thanks!
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

For you “international language” tv series fans, here is an Icelandic YTer who ranks the top 10 international series.
I have seen 2 of them, which were both very high quality in all respects.
I’m going to preview a couple of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rybHW3glaN0
Blues

Post by Blues »

Capsu78 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:09 pm For you “international language” tv series fans, here is an Icelandic YTer who ranks the top 10 international series.
I have seen 2 of them, which were both very high quality in all respects.
I’m going to preview a couple of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rybHW3glaN0
I've seen five of them. :sharebeer
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:29 am
Yea or nay?

It's silly funny. If Native Americans being portrayed in an unflattering way is a concern, it's probably something you're not going to like.
I didn't have time to watch that much but I'd say it kinda aims to be a little endearing ... that's my impression so far. It definitely doesn't seem like a hit piece ...

I have a feeling I'll like the characters no matter what they do ... so far anyway (1st episode) you gotta like 'em flaws and all. I mean clueless exuberance ... what's not to like???
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Nordic Noir Foreign Language Recommendation:

"Lykeeland" / "State of Happiness" is a 2 season show DW and I are really enjoying. Upfront disclaimer- S1 is on Prime but only through 8/31. S2 requires a subscription through Prime for "Topic". This is the first time we have ever purchased one at $5.99/mo which we will likely cancel out of when we get through their library.

Set in Stavanger Norway, S1 (released in 2018) takes place in 1965 through 1972 and covers a storyline involving the search and discovery of oil in the North Sea which changed the relatively poor Norway into a major energy based economy. This series follows actual events such as Shell and Oklahoma based Phillips Petroleum competing to find an oil deposit while the Norwegian government thinks about all that revenue that a discovery will bring in for the people of Norway. This is all "cowboy" stuff prior to OSHA and the EPA. Characters are very likable and plot line keeps moving forward. They don't spend much time introducing the characters but rather develop them over a couple of episodes until you can figure out who is who. Strong musical themes for each episode.

S2 (released 2022) is interesting as it jumps forward to 1977, and the actors playing the characters actually are 5 years older. Oil has been discovered and Stavanger is now a bustling oil community full of foreign workers, changing business models and lots of wealthy oil workers. Once again, characters' lives have taken different paths than anticipated by the viewer. The episodes jump in time through the late 1970's and ends up at an actual historical event in 1980 that I was unaware of. Some realistic themes of government regulation, the dawn of feminism and a women's role in the workplace, the awakening of environmental concerns all wrapped around excellent writing make this a very high quality series... best I have seen this year.

Edited to correct timeline.
Last edited by Capsu78 on Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Capsu78 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:13 pm "Lykeeland" / "State of Happiness"

Is this dubbed in English, or subtitles?
I seem to find two different answers online.

Thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:20 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:13 pm "Lykeeland" / "State of Happiness"

Is this dubbed in English, or subtitles?
I seem to find two different answers online.

Thanks!

RM
I left it in Norwegian and read it in English. It has some Americans in it too so there are some english dialog.
https://www.amazon.com/The-Oil-Capital/ ... 105&sr=1-1
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

The Extraordinary Attorney Woo on Netflix. Subtitles but great show about a young attorney with autism.
Call my Agent on Netflix. Subtitles but outstanding French show.Four seasons but only 6 episodes each.
These are the two best shows I have watched in a long time.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"This Fool" on Hulu. Kind of like "Reservation Dogs", but with 30-something Hispanics in inner-city in LA. Very reminiscent of my upbringing and it's funny.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

One of the early pairings for Monday's US Amateur golf is Constanza, Newman, and Kremer. It must be the nexus of the golf universe.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Blues

Post by Blues »

bengal22 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:26 pm One of the early pairings for Monday's US Amateur golf is Constanza, Newman, and Kremer. It must be the nexus of the golf universe.
I'm not much for golf, but Bob Sacamano wants to know how you get a pair with three players...

:oops:

:sharebeer
raizar29

Post by raizar29 »

mhalley wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:33 pm Binged The Sandman on Netflix.
A terrific take on the Neil Gaiman comic of the late 80's early 90's. Morpheus, AKA Dream aka The Sandman (a member of the Endless, immortal beings that are embodiments of natural forces) is captured by a mortal and kept prisoner for a hundred years. In his absence, The Dreaming, the land of Dreams and Nightmares humans visit when they sleep, deteriorates and a Nightmare is stalking the mortal world, killing at will. Dream must escape his prison, go on a quest to recover his items of Power, restore the dreaming and gain control of the Nightmares. On the way he meets some of his siblings, including Death and Desire. He also pays a visit to Hell to confront Lucifer. There are multiple DC easter eggs, including a gender swapped Constantine. One of the best comic adaptations ever. Highly recommended.
I'm about halfway through this and loving it. I loved the comics and I'm so glad they adapted the material well. It would have been so easy to run.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Blues wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:29 pm
bengal22 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:26 pm One of the early pairings for Monday's US Amateur golf is Constanza, Newman, and Kremer. It must be the nexus of the golf universe.
I'm not much for golf, but Bob Sacamano wants to know how you get a pair with three players...

How about "grouping", Bob?
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Blues

Post by Blues »

bengal22 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:36 pm
Blues wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:29 pm

How about "grouping", Bob?
"Crazy" Joe Davola says that will work. And I don't think we want to contradict him.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"The Andy Warhol Diaries" on Netflix. I like documentaries, troubled artists and the creative process so I figured I would Like this one, but ended up only "liking" this one. I think it could have been an episode shorter. While I was aware he was eccentric and likely gay, the LGBT component to the series seemed over weighted and a bit gossipy at times, IMHO and overrode his creative identity...clearly he did not want to be defined as anything other than an artist. Boy, he knew everybody in NYC which was also quite interesting.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Last edited by Zeno on Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
theac

Post by theac »

Zeno wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:23 pm "The Secrets of Quantum Physics": https://www.amazon.com/The-Secrets-of-Q ... B081W44NZP (2014; Amazon Prime).

Even if you are not a science nerd, you should enjoy this really elegant explanation of how physicists currently think reality works -- from what you reading on your screen now to the Cosmos writ large. The content is at a level that should be understandable by a middle schooler or higher.

It's a delight. Professor Jim Al-Khalili explains why the invention of the light bulb more than a century ago launched a scientific revolution that we are still toiling with today. Is light a particle or a wave? Does an infinite number of worlds exist? Can all of reality be explained by waves? Is the cat in the box dead or alive -- or both?

If you have a high schooler that is considering studying any scientific field in college, or a fellow oldster contemplating the Unknown, watching this series is definitely worthwhile.
Looks interesting. I noticed it's also available on YouTube.
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha (a George Harrison song)