[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ResearchMed

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:56 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:43 pm Yesterday, the new season of "Borgen" became available in the USA (and perhaps elsewhere; it was already released in Denmark and perhaps in Scandanavia?).
Is this in English or Danish?
We have access (through Netflix) to a choice of formats. We choose English (dubbing) and English subtitles, and we do use both.
As an aside, it's amusing that although the subtitles and dubbing reflect the same general content, there are times when it's clearly mis-match, one that it would seem would have been caught (or never occurred in the frist place).

It is also available in Danish, and I don't remember what the other few choices are.

One thing that continues to impress us is the way the dubbing very often REALLY has the sound of the words match the movements of the mouth. That's even more impressive given that it's English dubbing, but the actors were speaking Danish.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Guilty pleasure admission: I have watched every season of Survivor and So You Think You Can Dance. SYTYCD is back for its (delayed) 17th season. On Hulu we watch it without commercials.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I powered through Season 4 of Stranger Things on Netflix on a rainy Saturday.

Other good new shows:

Time Traveler's Wife - HBO Max - Rose Leslie is a great actress. I read the book at some point.
Candy on Hulu (Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake) Awesome 1982 clothing.
Shining Girls on Apple TV+ - Based on the book
Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney + - Great tie in to the movies, 10 years after Luke and Leia were born and spirited away.
Tehran on Apple TV+ - Season 2 just dropped

Nice summer weather and TV don't mix for me, but there is a lot of good TV to watch. Endless supply.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

MDfan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:37 am
stoptothink wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:21 am
Conch55 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:53 am Lincoln Lawyer. We completed the series. I am surprised it wasn't better after seeing Bosch. It jumped around quite a bit but still watchable imo.
I agree Bosch was better, although IMO Bosch wasn't that great either. Yes, watchable, but not sure I'd watch a 2nd season. I didn't even realize 'Lincoln Lawyer" was written by Michael Connelly, for some reason I thought it was John Grisham.
Enjoyed all seasons of Bosch. Did not enjoy the second half of the last season of Ozark. Thought the last episode was particularly bad.

I'll probably skip the Lincoln Lawyer. Waiting for Peaky Blinders to come back. Awesome show.
We're about 7 episodes into Lincoln Lawyer. It's a decent way to pass the time, but certainly not something I'd label as must see TV. Also looking forward to more Peaky Blinders even though I think it has sagged as it has progressed.
Youngblood

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Youngblood »

bertilak wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:54 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:47 pm DW and I tried to watch The Responder but gave up after about 15 minutes because of the heavy accents. We don't pay enough attention to TV shows to use subtitles so we just moved on. We both were eager to watch it but didn't feel it was worth the effort. Our problem; not the show's.
We always use subtitles, plus I watch so much BBC and ITV I think I have grown accustomed to the accents. In this show it is Liverpool, Northern Ireland.

IMDB says Freeman took 18 months of practice to perfect his accent! I now feel we owe it to him to listen.
We watched the entire season of The Responder and loved it.
Thank you bertilak for recommending and posting so many comments about shows on Britbox.
We just recently dropped Hulu and added Britbox to our other (Apple TV+, Netflix and Amazon Prime) streaming
accounts. We love it when we get interested in a series like Death in Paradise and Silent Witness and then
have so many seasons and episodes to enjoy.

Please keep recommending!
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We are rewatching the first 10 seasons of Call the Midwife, on Netflix.

This is a BBC T.V. series about nurse/midwives based on real life events, set in East London in the 1950s and 1960s. Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:51 pm Love, Death, & Robots on Netflix, rated TV-MA, animation / sci-fi. A collection of short stories that will get you thinking. This series won a bunch of awards. If you liked Black Mirror, watch this series.

I saw Season 1 when it first came out in 2019 and was hooked. I somehow missed Season 2 in 2020 and Season 3 just came out. I'm watching Season 2 now.
Watching season 3 now. Emphasize the TV-MA rating!
bertilak

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bertilak »

Youngblood wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:57 pm Thank you bertilak for recommending and posting so many comments about shows on Britbox.
Britbox is my favorite streaming service.

I also like:
  • Netflix
    Discovery+
    Acorn
    YouTube for brainless entertainment (e.g., cat videos, stupid drivers). Also, occasionally more substantial fare (e.g., music).
I also have Prime Video (who doesn't!) but it annoys me by asking for money.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

tooluser wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:20 pm Some rather odd but fascinating (to me) Youtube channels. Search there by name. They are all wholesome with occasional PG content, and almost always food-related. Nicely produced, they get down to business without a lot of chaff.

Featureman - Life experiences of a Hollywood Extra and one-time TV series co-star.
Experiencing Matthew Carlson - Eating sardines from a can. Plus some other stuff.
TheWolfePit - Eating and reviewing darn near everything.
Epicurious - "Price Points" - Expert in X guesses cheap vs expensive X. I really like that no brand names are ever revealed. Much more informative than a sales pitch, though the expert is always an artisan producer of X, so in some sense it's still advertising.
Wow, a year later I am still watching all of those, though for Epicurious I have moved on to "5 Kitchen Gadgets Tested By Design Expert".
Spoiler: Surprise - most kitchen gadgets don't work worth a darn!

I've added:
Good Mythical Morning, Good Mythical More, and Mythical Kitchen - Always sophomoric and amusing. I cannot believe the size of their internet empire!
Beard Meets Food - The UK's #1 professional eater. He has four hollow limbs? Where does it all go?
Bald and Bankrupt - UK guy going all over the world but mostly to Russian-speaking areas. His style is very unique and not at all like a typical travelogue. A foolhardy yet very savvy traveler.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Stranger Things 4 with my younger daughter.

Modern Family with my older daughter. Never watched it before.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:09 pm We are rewatching the first 10 seasons of Call the Midwife, on Netflix.

This is a BBC T.V. series about nurse/midwives based on real life events, set in East London in the 1950s and 1960s. Recommended.
I love that show!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:04 pm Guilty pleasure admission: I have watched every season of Survivor and So You Think You Can Dance. SYTYCD is back for its (delayed) 17th season. On Hulu we watch it without commercials.
My guilty pleasure is watching FA-18 take-offs and landings from carriers on YouTube. Not sure if it qualifies as either TV or a "show", but all I can say is I've been doing it since before it became cool. I.e., before Top Gun: Maverick.

OT: listening to commercial aircraft - tower transmissions via YouTube is also a fun semi-hobby. It's a great way to become afraid of flying.

I've been away from home and watching meager offerings. But CNN had a good show (bio) on Vladimir Putin and another on a female American spy during the Cold War. Not sure if they'll be re-run but worth watching if they come around again..
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:43 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:04 pm Guilty pleasure admission: I have watched every season of Survivor and So You Think You Can Dance. SYTYCD is back for its (delayed) 17th season. On Hulu we watch it without commercials.
My guilty pleasure is watching FA-18 take-offs and landings from carriers on YouTube. Not sure if it qualifies as either TV or a "show", but all I can say is I've been doing it since before it became cool. I.e., before Top Gun: Maverick.

OT: listening to commercial aircraft - tower transmissions via YouTube is also a fun semi-hobby. It's a great way to become afraid of flying.

I've been away from home and watching meager offerings. But CNN had a good show (bio) on Vladimir Putin and another on a female American spy during the Cold War. Not sure if they'll be re-run but worth watching if they come around again..
My son watches those live, as a Boeing flight test engineer. Dad is jealous.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Chardo wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:08 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:43 am

My son watches those live, as a Boeing flight test engineer. Dad is jealous.
I have to admit to having a big fascination with watching aircraft especially fighters at air shows I used to attend in the area. Nothing was more strange than the first time I saw the B-2 fly. It was like something out of Batman. I was lucky enough to spend a week on a carrier as a government employee and got to land/take off via aircraft (not a fighter) and I can tell you the takeoff is very "interesting" especially when you seemingly are dropping to the ground as the energy from the catapult runs out and the plane's engines take over. You defniitely feel like you are going to crash into the ocean. I recall thinking "I'm glad I didn't eat breakfast". I'm not exactly the thrill ride seeker type. A helicopter ride between two sides was much calmer.

Back to TV shows, I know this won't be for some people but 1883 was incredibly intense. I'm not a western person despite my grandfather and uncle watching them although I know there have been a number of excellent ones such as True Grit. Back to 1883, I almost stopped watching after the first episode since it was pretty violent (I'm not offended by it but I'm not exactly looking for it) but glad I watched it all despite how emotional it got. Even when you kind of know what will happen, sometimes in a good show it still hits you hard.

I haven't seen the other show (Yellowstone).

Finish Picard season 2 which I didn't think was as good as season one but still ok. The first season, especially the last episode or two were pretty emotional to me.

And we also finished the Kristen Bell series on netflix (title too long to type/remember). I enjoyed this until the last episode which totally seem outlandish and impossibly crazy to me.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Queen of the South on Netflix.

Queen of the South is a USA Network original series, based loosely on the successful telenovela La Reina del Sur, which, in turn, was based on the bestselling novel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. At heart, it’s a Horatio Alger story for the 21st Century, with a much higher body count.
https://www.criminalelement.com/shes-go ... the-south/

My name is Teresa Mendoza. I am from Mexico. I was born poor, not that that's bad, but take it from me, I've been poor and I've been rich. Rich is better.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5200008/ch ... /nm0103797

Very enjoyable and educational show.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I'm working my way through Season 13 of Criminal Minds, Season 3 of Forensic Files, and Season 2 of Crime Scene Solvers(in French, but has English narrations and English subtitles).

Actually I watch quite a few shows just using English subtitles, playing my TV too loud and happening to interrupt DW's sleep might make me a crime scene! :shock:

For a break I watch a few episodes of Dragnet.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Mullins

Post by Mullins »

BBC version of, "Ghosts." Way funnier and cleverer than its USA version.
"The Quality of the Answer Depends on the Quality of Your Question."
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

"Tropo" on FreeVee. It's an Australian murder mystery. S1E1 is very creepy, but it sets the stage for a series done quite well. Beautiful scenery and fantastic character development.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:09 pm We are rewatching the first 10 seasons of Call the Midwife, on Netflix.

+1

My wife and I love this show. We just finished season 11 a few weeks ago when it was aired on PBS.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Peaky Blinders is back with season 6 on Netflix.

I watched e1 last night. The action moves to North America on the day Prohibition ends. So around December 1933 near Christmas.

Season 5 ended in 2019 and I'm amazed at how much trouble I'm having placing the various characters. I mostly recognize them, but don't recall who's related to whom, what their names are from scene to scene, etc.

Spoiler alert? Not really once they decided to have another season. Tommy is back and in charge.

I enjoy the story, the period clothes, the scenery. Lots of Art Deco strewn about, always cigarettes, booze and more.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Started watching "Billions", 4 episodes in. Right now it seems a little unrealistic (some of the scenarios don't seem plausible, but what do I know about that industry?), but it's decent.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:48 am Started watching "Billions", 4 episodes in. Right now it seems a little unrealistic (some of the scenarios don't seem plausible, but what do I know about that industry?), but it's decent.
Pretty much not plausible, from someone who has been adjacent to that business. Enjoy it if you can. I couldn’t.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
maxim81

Post by maxim81 »

For All Mankind (Apple TV+). 1 episode into Season 1 and pretty good. I hear S2 and S3 are excellent.
Bayliss

Post by Bayliss »

Under the Banner of Heaven on Hulu was excellent.

I'm watching Joe Pickett at the moment. They changed some characters from the book but I really like the show as of right now. It has that Longmire feel, where to seem is slow and not much action, but I love shows that can create an atmosphere of a location through good storytelling.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:02 pm
bertilak wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:56 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:43 pm Yesterday, the new season of "Borgen" became available in the USA (and perhaps elsewhere; it was already released in Denmark and perhaps in Scandanavia?).
Is this in English or Danish?
We have access (through Netflix) to a choice of formats. We choose English (dubbing) and English subtitles, and we do use both.
As an aside, it's amusing that although the subtitles and dubbing reflect the same general content, there are times when it's clearly mis-match, one that it would seem would have been caught (or never occurred in the frist place).

It is also available in Danish, and I don't remember what the other few choices are.

One thing that continues to impress us is the way the dubbing very often REALLY has the sound of the words match the movements of the mouth. That's even more impressive given that it's English dubbing, but the actors were speaking Danish.

RM
# episodes in after having watched the earlier seasons. I remember speculation about how it might be difficult to continue after the long gap in production, but Im finding the storylines , scripts and characters are all coming together pretty seamlessly.
FYI- I watch in danish with english subtittles.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I have only watched the "sneak peek preview", but Westworld season 4 premiers in two weeks on 26 June.

I like it, even though it has gotten a little worse with every season. It explores some very interesting ideas about consciousness, and base- to high-level humanity, and I would really like to understand the Ed Harris character.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I should mention that Peaky Blinders Season 6 just came out (Netflix).

Right now, I'm finishing Season 3 of Black Mirror. I'll watch Stranger Things (Seasons 3 and 4) next.

Update: Changed what I'll watch next.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

We just finished Hacks S2, which was as excellent as the first season.

Barry S3 wraps up tonight, so we're looking forward to that. It's also really been good and gone in a slightly darker direction than I originally expected.

S2 of Tehran has actually been better than the first, its cliff hanger endings are really keeping us on the hook.

Finally, on Disney+ we just started Ms.Marvel which looks to be a good departure from typical Marvel fare and thus far the new Kenobi series has been excellent.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

heartwood wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:45 am Peaky Blinders is back with season 6 on Netflix.

I watched e1 last night. The action moves to North America on the day Prohibition ends. So around December 1933 near Christmas.

Season 5 ended in 2019 and I'm amazed at how much trouble I'm having placing the various characters. I mostly recognize them, but don't recall who's related to whom, what their names are from scene to scene, etc.

Spoiler alert? Not really once they decided to have another season. Tommy is back and in charge.

I enjoy the story, the period clothes, the scenery. Lots of Art Deco strewn about, always cigarettes, booze and more.
I finished the series last night, only 6 episodes. Some episodes less satisfying than others and than previous seasons, but I'd welcome more, and the tease in interviews of a movie. I read the NYT interview https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/10/arts ... nders.html with Peter Knight after I watched s6e1 and became confused as I watched more of season 6. All was resolved in the final episode. So some potential spoilers in the interview.

Some brutal scenes in the last episode, even by PB standards. I'll also have to read up on some of the explanations of the episodes since I'm not yet clear on what was real or dreamt.

I did just see that Peter Knight did the 2007 Eastern Promises movie with Viggo Mortensen. I enjoyed that one at the time and can know see similarities to PB.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

heartwood wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:56 am
heartwood wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:45 am Peaky Blinders is back with season 6 on Netflix.

I finished the series last night, only 6 episodes. Some episodes less satisfying than others and than previous seasons, but I'd welcome more, and the tease in interviews of a movie. I read the NYT interview https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/10/arts ... nders.html with Peter Knight after I watched s6e1 and became confused as I watched more of season 6. All was resolved in the final episode. So some potential spoilers in the interview.

Some brutal scenes in the last episode, even by PB standards. I'll also have to read up on some of the explanations of the episodes since I'm not yet clear on what was real or dreamt.

I did just see that Peter Knight did the 2007 Eastern Promises movie with Viggo Mortensen. I enjoyed that one at the time and can know see similarities to PB.
We watched Season 6 this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. We loved the first few seasons, but our interest and enjoyment waned in the last couple--until this one. My wife hadn't been thrilled about bothering to watch Season 6, but now she is looking forward to the rumored (?) movie!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

jjunk wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:52 pm Barry S3 wraps up tonight, so we're looking forward to that. It's also really been good and gone in a slightly darker direction than I originally expected.
Just finished Barry S3 also, one of our favorite shows. Season 3 is definitely more dark than comedy!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

heartwood wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:56 amI'll also have to read up on some of the explanations of the episodes since I'm not yet clear on what was real or dreamt.
The Guardian (in the UK) offers
Peaky Blinders: episode by episode
that does an excellent job of explaining what's happening.

N.B. Spoilers therein.
bf0123

Post by bf0123 »

I'm finishing a re-watch of the series The Americans. I found it consistently hiqh quality, even better 2nd time around, especially considering 2022 world events. The acting is strong and the themes are universal : what price loyalty? Family dynamics, what is friendship, stasis versus change, end justifying (or not) the means...
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:42 am
heartwood wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:56 amI'll also have to read up on some of the explanations of the episodes since I'm not yet clear on what was real or dreamt.
The Guardian (in the UK) offers
Peaky Blinders: episode by episode
that does an excellent job of explaining what's happening.

N.B. Spoilers therein.
Wow! exactly the type of review I was looking for. So much I didn't get while watching.

Thanks
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

All in the Family.

Lots of financial advice nuggets in a lot of the episodes. I do love the one where Meathead is moving out and George Jefferson decides to rent him the house next door because he can't sell it because interest rates are too high. The ones on inflation are good too.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

bf0123 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:55 am I'm finishing a re-watch of the series The Americans. I found it consistently hiqh quality, even better 2nd time around, especially considering 2022 world events. The acting is strong and the themes are universal : what price loyalty? Family dynamics, what is friendship, stasis versus change, end justifying (or not) the means...
Love "The Americans". Only "Breaking Bad" has been as absorbing for me.

The two series actually have a lot in common despite the superficial differences:
  • Sympathetic suburban-type people doing bad things in secret from their families, and the bizarre gyrations to make sure family doesn't find out.
  • The children are prominently featured.
  • There's the hilarious and uncomfortable situation of having an FBI counter-intelligence agent as a neighbor in "The Americans" and a DEA agent brother-in-law in "Breaking Bad".
  • There's the religious group that plays a big role in "The Americans" and the addiction self-help group that plays a role (albeit minor) in "Breaking Bad".
  • The protagonists themselves are smart and ever-resourceful.

Etc. etc.
Right after ending "Breaking Bad", I actually made a comparison chart between it and "The Americans". It was a longer list than presented above. Heh. I should have saved it because my memory has faded a bit. :)
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Inventing Anna on Netflix with Anna Chlumsky and Julia Garner. Based on the true life story of Russian born Anna Sorokin, who is able to con New York City socialites, banks, lawyers, hotels, etc into believing she is a wealthy German heiress. Good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes though some said it ran a little long at nine episodes. I'm done with four and so far really enjoying it. Julia Garner is a joy as Anna.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I started The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow on FX (and coming to Hulu), because of the two leads and a good review someplace. I lasted less than a half hour of e1. Unremitting gloom!

Today's NYT had an interview with Bridges and Lithgow that I read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/16/arts ... thgow.html

I plan to try the show again. I now know it's based on the Thomas Perry novel of the same name. I enjoyed that book. I also read that it picks up speed!

The beginning of the first episode has Bridges experiencing old man's ailments. We learn that he worked many years ago for the CIA, but not the Ciampino Airport (CIA) in Rome.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

heartwood wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:00 am I started The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow on FX (and coming to Hulu), because of the two leads and a good review someplace. I lasted less than a half hour of e1. Unremitting gloom!

I plan to try the show again. I now know it's based on the Thomas Perry novel of the same name. I enjoyed that book. I also read that it picks up speed!

The beginning of the first episode has Bridges experiencing old man's ailments. We learn that he worked many years ago for the CIA, but not the Ciampino Airport (CIA) in Rome.
Dang, that is probably the next show we were going to try - great cast and sounds right up our alley. We're about 7 episodes into Billions and it isn't getting much more believable or better. We'll probably finish first season and move on.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

DCI Banks - British cop show centered around the Leeds area. Not as good as Line of Duty or Broadchurch in my opinion but definitely watchable.
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Pachinko" on Apple+. Very well done. (Two episodes left.)

A tale of triumphs and misfortune experienced by successive generations of a family of Koreans who emigrated to Japan.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:02 pm
bf0123 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:55 am I'm finishing a re-watch of the series The Americans. I found it consistently hiqh quality, even better 2nd time around, especially considering 2022 world events. The acting is strong and the themes are universal : what price loyalty? Family dynamics, what is friendship, stasis versus change, end justifying (or not) the means...
Love "The Americans". Only "Breaking Bad" has been as absorbing for me.

The two series actually have a lot in common despite the superficial differences:
  • Sympathetic suburban-type people doing bad things in secret from their families, and the bizarre gyrations to make sure family doesn't find out.
  • The children are prominently featured.
  • There's the hilarious and uncomfortable situation of having an FBI counter-intelligence agent as a neighbor in "The Americans" and a DEA agent brother-in-law in "Breaking Bad".
  • There's the religious group that plays a big role in "The Americans" and the addiction self-help group that plays a role (albeit minor) in "Breaking Bad".
  • The protagonists themselves are smart and ever-resourceful.

Etc. etc.
Right after ending "Breaking Bad", I actually made a comparison chart between it and "The Americans". It was a longer list than presented above. Heh. I should have saved it because my memory has faded a bit. :)
I thought The Americans was a consistently fantastic show, until the very end of the finale. (I thought the ending was unbelievable and unsatisfying, complete with sappy music. Many others disagree, of course.) Otherwise, I really enjoyed the re-creation of the Cold War atmosphere, the storytelling, great plots, superb cast, etc.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:04 am
heartwood wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:00 am I started The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow on FX (and coming to Hulu), because of the two leads and a good review someplace. I lasted less than a half hour of e1. Unremitting gloom!

Dang, that is probably the next show we were going to try - great cast and sounds right up our alley. We're about 7 episodes into Billions and it isn't getting much more believable or better. We'll probably finish first season and move on.
I went back and watched episodes 1 and 2 with a much different perspective. The series is worth a look after you get past the first 20 minutes or so, Bridges and Lithgow do good jobs and there's a story, Sorry if I mis-guided anyone. I'll keep watching.
Circe

Post by Circe »

Yellowstone is on Paramount again this weekend. I found it waaay too violent, but the horses in season 4 are amazing.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

It's not a movie, but it's not a TV show, really, but it's on PBS Great Performances, so it's closer to a TV show than a movie!

"Anything Goes," the 2021 London performance of the classic 1934 Cole Porter musical.If you love Cole Porter's music and want to see some fabulous musical productions, watch it.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/great-pe ... out/13609/

The musical arrangements are incredible, and the musicians in the orchestra are all fantastic. (I watch musicals through the ears of a performer and composer, so I can highly recommend the show based just on this!)

btw, the show itself is silly, as are many from that period. But the production makes up for it.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I liked Margo Martindale as Claudia (I remembered her from Justified) and Noah Emmerich as Stan Beeman. The two leads were very strong but somehow I never liked their characters. I couldn't "root" for them. Never the less, I liked the show very much, probably for the reasons you give.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

bertilak wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:25 pm
I liked Margo Martindale as Claudia (I remembered her from Justified) and Noah Emmerich as Stan Beeman. The two leads were very strong but somehow I never liked their characters. I couldn't "root" for them. Never the less, I liked the show very much, probably for the reasons you give.
The friction between Elizabeth Jennings and handler Claudia was one of the fun undertones to watch. Jennings could barely stand to be in the same room as Claudia...for understandable reasons. Yet Claudia endured the animosity with forbearance, maturity and understanding, as well as the imperatives of the mission.

Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys did a great job as the leads, but character actors like Margo Martindale (i.e. Claudia) really add something special.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Watched a couple of episodes of The Flight Attendant Season 2. While I would readily admit season 1 wasn't great tv, I found it very enjoyable, goofy and something I could watch several times. Season 2 so far isn't working for me. I'll watch it because I like Kaley Cuoco and just to see what happens but I would say if you didn't like season 1, I doubt you'll like season 2.
The part that just doesn't work for me is in season 1 they would have these scenes where she is talking to the dead guy and going back over stuff and eventually it led to what happened between her father, brother and herself. So it worked (at least for me). This season they are trying to do the same thing but so far instead of her talking to the dead guy, she is talking to various versions of herself. I think they could have left that out entirely (at least in the few episodes I've watched so far).
Also it seemed like they felt obligated to keep Rosie Perez character in the show but unless it is tied back to what is going on with the main character, it just seems pointless. And actually thinking back to season 1, her character had nothing to do with the show anyhow. A side plot that served no real point.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Circe wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:48 pm Yellowstone is on Paramount again this weekend. I found it waaay too violent, but the horses in season 4 are amazing.
We haven't watched that yet. We happened to start with 1883. Again very violent and I'm not a western person and was tempted to give up on the show. I'm glad I didn't just for the last 2 episodes alone that were quite intense emotionally. Getting older myself, and losing my father last year, while the circumstances were not remotely close, the emotions of losing someone was tough to watch.

I could understand someone saying "Why would you watch something that will just get you upset or crying?" and that would have been my sentiment when I was younger but maybe it is just where I'm at in my life now. Anyhow, I thought it was excellent.

I can't recall the details because it has been ~50 years but I recall spending some weekends with my grandparents and my uncle and waking up Sunday mornings and they would often be watching westerns and several of those could also be very tough emotionally. Obviously the violence in those days was dialed down greatly. I seemed to recall shows like True Grit were tough to watch.

Anyhow, my 2 cents.
Circe

Post by Circe »

I spent a couple of weeks during the summer in Montana and Wyoming pre-covid and really loved the wide open space and the animals and the sagebrush. So I started watching Yellowstone for the scenery. I stopped because of the gratuitous violence but then was impressed by the horses in season 4. There are some really outstanding horses (both breeding and training) that most westerns simply don't have.

I watched westerns as a kid but there wasn't a whole lot else on at the time; I always loved horses anyhow and started riding then. I got pretty involved for a while but haven't ridden in years.

Someone described Yellowstone as The Godfather on horseback. It's an apt description. Oddly, The Godfather was on last night after Yellowstone, but too late for me!

I only saw a few minutes of an episode of 1883 and it was super violent, so I turned it off. From what I've seen, they seem to be well-made and beautifully filmed. It's good that you found something that you could relate to.