[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tubes

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Tubes »

Started watching season 3 of The Orville.

The change in tone of the series went from whacky to outright serious societal issue preaching.

I stopped watching. I need something light right now.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Kagord wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:43 pm
sunsetting101 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:56 am I watched Arcane on Netflix. I liked it.
I had dismissed this as I thought it could only be incredibly bad, looked it up, what, Tomotometer 100%, going to check it out, thanks. I main Fiora, FYI.
My kids really liked "Arcane". Although it isn't my cup of tea, it was very well done.
Surfcaster

Post by Surfcaster »

Currently watching "Joe Pickett". Modern day western type show (game warden investigating a murder and land grab). Not nearly as trashy as 1883, of which I didn't even make it through the first episode..

Not all episodes are released yet so having to watch one new show a week.

On paramount plus
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

(Not sure if this belongs in movies, or TV.)

On YouTube, the so-called "real"* story behind the movie Catch Me If You Can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsMydMDi3rI

This is a one-hour YouTube video of Frank Abagnale speaking at Google.
He's "the guy".

He clarifies a few inaccuracies in the DiCaprio movie, which aren't all that important. The movie definitely captured the flavor of his early life.

In addition to giving the "real story" behind the movie, he adds a lot about his life since the ending in the movie. He speaks a bit about parts of his philosophy of life, and he is surprisingly modest and straightforward. On the other hand, he does acknowledge the [positive] role he's had in some financial security areas, and it's more than what the movie hinted.

He is a *very* good "talker", although he starts off a bit stilted. (I assume he's given this talk close to a googol times, including the talk at Google.)

As he continues his tale, it becomes pretty easy to imagine him "sweet-talking" himself into any opportunity he needs/wants. He speaks a bit about that too, the importance of confidence, in general. When he said that, I couldn't help but focus on the "con" part, as in con man...

He makes a little prediction about computer security at the end that we found amusing.

* Please also see the Wikipedia piece about Abagnale:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Abagnale

NOTE: Consider watching the YouTube video *before* reading further.

Major spoiler is in obscured font color below.
(Hover and "select" the area to read the text. Or select and change the font color.)

Indeed, this suggests that some, or even most (?), of his YouTube talk was actually another con. (Wikipedia does not say this; it's the "facts" as they are presented in both places - Wikipedia and Abagnale's talk - that would lead to this possible conclusion...)

It is more than a bit distressing to realized how really "conned" we apparently were by Abagnale's seemingly sincere YouTube performance at Google. As apparently were the audience members at the Google talk.

However, I had *not* yet read the Wikipedia piece when I wrote the full post above, including this last bit: "He speaks a bit about that too, the importance of confidence, in general. When he said that, I couldn't help but focus on the "con" part, as in con man..."

Nevertheless, we both pretty much "fell for it".
And we still don't know just what was... or was not...
Wow. :annoyed

It's all quite an adventure, and quite a story...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Stranger Thing on Netflix is great this season. One episode to go.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
bf0123

Post by bf0123 »

JBTX wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:37 pm Going through Peaky Blinders, (Netflix) the entire series again, ahead of new season six. I’m finding it more enjoyable second time through. I also really like the music - its grittiness matches up well with the show.
I'm doing the same, and agree 2nd time around I'm enjoying the show even more. A big reason is because I turned subtitles on this time. And...with my goldfish memory, I can barely remember much of the plot so it's a guaranteed good: I know I'll enjoy it (because I did the first time)...but don't know what will happen next. Polly has grown on me; she is a powerful character, a woman of depth, vulnerability, toughness, faith, weakness. A well written show.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

bf0123 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:12 pm
JBTX wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:37 pm Going through Peaky Blinders, (Netflix) the entire series again, ahead of new season six. I’m finding it more enjoyable second time through. I also really like the music - its grittiness matches up well with the show.
I'm doing the same, and agree 2nd time around I'm enjoying the show even more. A big reason is because I turned subtitles on this time. And...with my goldfish memory, I can barely remember much of the plot so it's a guaranteed good: I know I'll enjoy it (because I did the first time)...but don't know what will happen next. Polly has grown on me; she is a powerful character, a woman of depth, vulnerability, toughness, faith, weakness. A well written show.
Alfie Soloman may be one of the best TV characters ever. When he had his first encounter with Abarama Gold (another good character ) and says something to the effect : “ whenever you find yourself near a Piker with a haircut like that you need to question what you are doing there in the first place. “

TRIGGER WARNING: the link below is laced with extreme profanity and other language not fit for any place with a modicum of respectability.

The whole scene is excellent.

https://youtu.be/lDDSNTmqRJA
mancich

Post by mancich »

Working our way through Season 3 of "Succession" on HBO Max. Love it
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Finished "Shetland - Season 3". A change from the previous two seasons in that the 6 eps for this season followed a single mystery albeit, increasingly convoluted as the season went along. The first two seasons solved multiple crimes over 2 eps each. Season 3 is also more grim and violent, with some consequences to the primary cast members. That said, we are enthralled with this series, with the locales (Shetland Islands), the cast, especially Douglas Henshall as DI Jimmy Perez, and the writing, although maybe it feels a little contrived at times in attempting to keep you guessing.

Now watching "The Pacific". This is essentially "Band of Brothers" but this time following the Marines during their brutal fighting in the Pacific. I don't think this is up to par as Band of Brothers. While Band of Brothers followed this one unit, The Pacific covers 3 different Marines and it gets a little confusing in following who is who, and the story feels a little disjointed, bouncing back and forth between too many perspectives. I think they may have done better by simply focusing on Eugene Sledge and his unit.
Mullins

Post by Mullins »

"The Old Man" (FX) - Good writing.
The BBC version of "Ghosts" - Funny, clever and sentimental stuff
90 Day Fiance - whatever you do, DON'T watch this. These people are narcissistic morons and it's addictive like crack cocaine.
"The Quality of the Answer Depends on the Quality of Your Question."
gips

Post by gips »

- I'm watching chloe on amazon prime, seems well made but I'm more than halfway through and don't have a clue about what's going on. I do have a premonition about the ending and pray I'm wrong.
- maybe I posted already but enjoyed slough house. Might have to do with being an inveterate gary oldman fan.
- halfway though night sky, for a sci fi series, pretty slow moving, the real draw is spacek and j.k simmons, a shame it was cancelled after one season, not entirely surprised.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"Gladbeck: The Hostage Crisis" on Netflix. Liked it, but I have a bit of a background in "crisis management"... beyond the Thanksgiving Dinner variety!
Great flashback time capsule to 1988,with any number of sub stories as to how the media got involved, LEO responded and politicians CYA'd in that era. All actual footage of a hostage crisis I had never heard of.
Saw my wifes 1988 hair style a couple of times and maybe one of the guys from Huey Lewis and the News in the crowd scenes.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

JBTX wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:58 pm
bf0123 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:12 pm
Alfie Soloman may be one of the best TV characters ever. When he had his first encounter with Abarama Gold (another good character ) and says something to the effect : “ whenever you find yourself near a Piker with a haircut like that you need to question what you are doing there in the first place. “

TRIGGER WARNING: the link below is laced with extreme profanity and other language not fit for any place with a modicum of respectability.

The whole scene is excellent.

https://youtu.be/lDDSNTmqRJA
Yes, excellent scene!
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

The "Santa Clarita Diet" on Netflix is kind of fun, especially if you live in Southern California. Well done with lots of laughs, if you can handle the genre.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Started "The Terminal List" on Amazon Prime. Chris Pratt playing a Navy seal seeking revenge. Wife thought it would be "Reacher" cheesy (she liked it, but it was super cheesy), but it's been better than we expected through two episodes.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Wimbledon Championships, of course.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

1883 on Paramount Plus.

Enjoyed it with some reservations.

The characters adhered to modern values and sensibilities. Also everyone’s hair was freshly shampooed and their teeth were perfect.

And this plot hole: The transcontinental railroad was completed in 1869. The characters could’ve avoided all the death and mayhem by booking train tickets to the west. But they said it was too expensive to go by train so went by wagon instead, and by so doing faced drownings, indian massacres, snake bite, bandits, starvation, tornado, suicide, etc. and most didn’t make it. But Wikipedia says rail was affordable. And anyway, wouldn’t any price for train tickets be preferable to what they experienced? They could’ve taken jobs, gotten paper routes, anything to raise enough money to go by train. But then there wouldn’t be any story.

But still fun to watch. I especially liked Sam Elliot, he was so believable, the archetypical westerner, so to speak.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Stranger Things (seasons 1-4) on Netflix. Like many of the previous posters comments on this show I enjoyed it. If someone had provided an overview prior to watching I would not have guessed it would be for me. Pays to keep an open mind!
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

heartwood wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:53 pm
bertilak wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:49 am Reacher

So far, I've only seen the very first episode. Hokey and fun. I like hokey when it's done well. Hokey and fun is good. Hokey and serious is not good. I guess "hokey and fun" results in lightheartedness. I expect I'll be watching more.

I see a passing resemblance to my favorite show, Midsomer Murders. On the surface they are quite different, but both take a normally serious genre and have fun with it. They are not the same genres, and I would not characterize Midsomer as hokey but it is lighthearted. I doubt they can stretch Reacher to 20-plus seasons!
I'm so confused. We have Amazon Prime access through our daughter's account as an added member and get much of the video offerings. But Reacher is not included? They say I have to have a personal Prime account at $7.49 for the first 3 months then $14.99 thereafter.
Bit the bullet today to get access to all the Prime Video catalog. We're offsetting the $139 Prime cost by signing up for the Amazon Prime Visa which is offering a signup bonus of $200 through 7/31.

Will give Reacher a try among others.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

delete
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just finished Obi-wan Kenobi on Disney+ streaming. I'm a big Star Wars fan and honestly have to say I was a little underwhelmed by the story but the acting was pretty good.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Elsebet wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:39 am Just finished Obi-wan Kenobi on Disney+ streaming. I'm a big Star Wars fan and honestly have to say I was a little underwhelmed by the story but the acting was pretty good.
Good to know! I was just telling my husband that we should watch this tonight.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:11 pm Now watching "The Pacific". This is essentially "Band of Brothers" but this time following the Marines during their brutal fighting in the Pacific. I don't think this is up to par as Band of Brothers. While Band of Brothers followed this one unit, The Pacific covers 3 different Marines and it gets a little confusing in following who is who, and the story feels a little disjointed, bouncing back and forth between too many perspectives. I think they may have done better by simply focusing on Eugene Sledge and his unit.
After finishing this series, I have to say "The Pacific" packed a much more emotional impact for me than "Band of Brothers". The unflinching reality of the battles and the gradual degradation of basic humanity was extremely painful to endure. Not a series I will soon forget. I understand that they are working on a 3rd series that will cover the 8th Air Force during the 1944-1945 European campaign.
leland

Post by leland »

The Bear. Stick with it past the first episode if you find the pace jarring. Fast and fun.

Since someone just mentioned Band of Brothers, the 20th anniversary companion podcast for Band of Brothers was fantastic as well, highly recommend that as well as the shows + podcasts for Chernobyl and Watchmen.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I recently finished watching all 8 seasons of Homeland streaming on Hulu (after my kids got me Roku for Father's Day and added me to their Hulu account).

I think Homeland season 1 is the best season of episodic television I have ever seen! The chemistry between Carrie and Brody was electric! The rest of the seasons aren't at the same level but still enjoyable.

And Homeland probably has the best set of supporting roles: Saul Berenson, Peter Quinn, Max Piotrowski, Dar Adal, Allison Carr, ...
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Just finished S1 of Lupin. We'd always heard about the show but never watched it. We've enjoyed it so far though and with S3 on the way, we're looking forward to catching up on the story.

I started S4 of Westworld but it hasnt kept my attention so far. I'll likely wait til it finishes and then binge the season.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:03 am I recently finished watching all 8 seasons of Homeland streaming on Hulu (after my kids got me Roku for Father's Day and added me to their Hulu account).

I think Homeland season 1 is the best season of episodic television I have ever seen! The chemistry between Carrie and Brody was electric! The rest of the seasons aren't at the same level but still enjoyable.

And Homeland probably has the best set of supporting roles: Saul Berenson, Peter Quinn, Max Piotrowski, Dar Adal, Allison Carr, ...
Agree completely. I've said many times that Homeland Season 1 is the best season of TV I've ever watched. It was pretty uneven after Season 2, but that first season was so good.
kurious

I watched Better Call Saul and now I cannot watch anything else

Post by kurious »

Dear Bogleheads,

I am not a serious consumer of Television (no cable)/streaming services (we pay for no more than one service at any time when extended family are not here).

Over the years, I have been so enamored with Better Call Saul that anything else I watch now pales in comparison and I cannot truly cherish them like I have cherished BCS. I have had my phases of being enamored with a franchise (LOTR/Hobbit, MCU until 2019) but nothing like this. I'll watch the show, then read critiques of it, and then watch YouTube videos where they break down shots frame by frame and explain why the show is extraordinary (let's just say I understand nuances of lighting, sound design, and screenplay much better now by studying the show). Then the overlay of magnificent acting, the incredible pace of story telling that I find perfect for myself, and heaps upon heaps of nuances...I just do not know if I will ever find anything else this riveting.

The six years that the show has been running for have also coincided with my personal journey of self-growth after graduate school. The more I study, the more I fall in love with the show. It's as if age, personal growth, and better understanding of the world have made me appreciate much better what a masterclass the show is in terms of illustrating the complexities of human nature and relationships, and how a story can build up over years to come to a truly dramatic conclusion.

Without spoilers, I saw a scene last night of two of the most unlikeliest tomb-mates. I could not help but keep reflecting on their journeys and how their paths converged at the same spot.

I know, it's just a story...but what are we if stories do not touch our very souls. This one has gotten hold of mine and won't let go.

Cheers,

kurious

p.s: Dear Mods, I'll understand if you need to lock this thread if it isn't considered actionable.
runninginvestor

Re: I watched Better Call Saul and now I cannot watch anything else

Post by runninginvestor »

Just see if mods will merge it with this

[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]
viewtopic.php?t=181257
kurious

Post by kurious »

Thank you. Yeah, that seems like the place to post.

Dear Mods, will you be able to merge please?
TheMindItReels

Post by TheMindItReels »

I relate. I have a hard time getting into any shows these days. Saul is an exception. Generally I feel like I've seen it all before, multiple times.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topics have been merged.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

MDfan wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:04 am
doobiedoo wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:03 am I recently finished watching all 8 seasons of Homeland streaming on Hulu (after my kids got me Roku for Father's Day and added me to their Hulu account).

Agree completely. I've said many times that Homeland Season 1 is the best season of TV I've ever watched. It was pretty uneven after Season 2, but that first season was so good.
Agree. I liked the first 3 seasons and watched all 8. After season 3, the show goes in different directions. Still overall a good show.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

kurious wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:48 am Dear Bogleheads,

I am not a serious consumer of Television (no cable)/streaming services (we pay for no more than one service at any time when extended family are not here).

Over the years, I have been so enamored with Better Call Saul that anything else I watch now pales in comparison and I cannot truly cherish them like I have cherished BCS. I have had my phases of being enamored with a franchise (LOTR/Hobbit, MCU until 2019) but nothing like this. I'll watch the show, then read critiques of it, and then watch YouTube videos where they break down shots frame by frame and explain why the show is extraordinary (let's just say I understand nuances of lighting, sound design, and screenplay much better now by studying the show). Then the overlay of magnificent acting, the incredible pace of story telling that I find perfect for myself, and heaps upon heaps of nuances...I just do not know if I will ever find anything else this riveting.

The six years that the show has been running for have also coincided with my personal journey of self-growth after graduate school. The more I study, the more I fall in love with the show. It's as if age, personal growth, and better understanding of the world have made me appreciate much better what a masterclass the show is in terms of illustrating the complexities of human nature and relationships, and how a story can build up over years to come to a truly dramatic conclusion.

Without spoilers, I saw a scene last night of two of the most unlikeliest tomb-mates. I could not help but keep reflecting on their journeys and how their paths converged at the same spot.

I know, it's just a story...but what are we if stories do not touch our very souls. This one has gotten hold of mine and won't let go.

Cheers,

kurious

p.s: Dear Mods, I'll understand if you need to lock this thread if it isn't considered actionable.
I felt similarly after finishing Breaking Bad. I thought what else is there to watch. I never got into it as deeply as you’re into Saul with all the critiques, YouTube etc, though always enjoyed the show’s extra features. Just appreciate you’re watching something really special.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Watching most recent season of “for all mankind” on Apple TV. Overall still an enjoyable and above average quality show.

Also watching “Old Man” on Hulu. Nice slow pace, good acting. At times certain aspects of plot seem implausible but it’s a small complaint.

Finished Peaky Blinders most recent season after watching all prior seasons. The last season was just bizarre, overly dark and kind of off the rails. Enjoyed the first few seasons, last couple of diminished.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just finished Season 5 of Peaky Blinders and thought it was pretty good. I'll start watching Season 6 next.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Interesting. I love "Better Call Saul" too, but one of the few things I grouse about is the many scenes with low lighting. I think that can be overdone. Especially when people are inside their own homes with barely flashlight lighting. Who does that?! I started noticing the plethora of low-light scenes in Season 3, I think it was, or maybe 4. So, my best memories of the show are in the law offices and in the desert...plenty of lighting haha.

I think "Breaking Bad" is a much better show. The suspense was nail-biting. Always on the edge. But I love the character of Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman. His voice and facial expressions are priceless, along with his wickedly devious plans. (Does the actor talk like that in real life?) While I don't ever see myself re-watching "Breaking Bad", I can see a re-watch of "Better Call Saul" a decade or so from now. The main character is just that appealing.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

We enjoyed anatomy of a scandal. Dark subject but well played.
Last edited by bengal22 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

kurious wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:48 am Dear Bogleheads,

Over the years, I have been so enamored with Better Call Saul that anything else I watch now pales in comparison and I cannot truly cherish them like I have cherished BCS.
<SNIP>
You are in good company. When this is done, it is going to hurt and leave a hole.

We've tried a few other current shows like Only Murders in the Building and they simply cannot compare to BCS.

When this is done, you might want to try Mr. Robot. There's a lot of talent both in front of, and behind the camera in that show too.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:56 pm
Interesting. I love "Better Call Saul" too, but one of the few things I grouse about is the many scenes with low lighting. I think that can be overdone. Especially when people are inside their own homes with barely flashlight lighting. Who does that?! I started noticing the plethora of low-light scenes in Season 3, I think it was, or maybe 4. So, my best memories of the show are in the law offices and in the desert...plenty of lighting haha.

I think "Breaking Bad" is a much better show. The suspense was nail-biting. Always on the edge. But I love the character of Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman. His voice and facial expressions are priceless, along with his wickedly devious plans. (Does the actor talk like that in real life?) While I don't ever see myself re-watching "Breaking Bad", I can see a re-watch of "Better Call Saul" a decade or so from now. The main character is just that appealing.
They are slightly different shows in their focus. Breaking Bad will always be the definitive quality drama, but BCS delves a bit deeper into the complexity of the characters.

As for LOW lighting, I'm with you! It is some sort of infection that has taken over the television and movie world. I don't get it.

I recently decided to rewatch 2001: A Space Odyssey. The special effects have held up well. And guess what, all the scenes are bright and they pop, pop, pop. No muddled dark images hiding imperfections or trying to set mood.
black jack

Post by black jack »

Spurred into action by word that The Americans was leaving Amazon Prime Video at the end of this month, I started watching it.

So far (four episodes in), I like it: spy thriller/troubled marriage combo. I like the character of Philip, the husband. I wonder what Russians thought of this show.

There are 71 more 50-minute episodes; I don't think I'm going to make it to episode 75 by Sunday night.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
black jack

Post by black jack »

Tubes wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:31 am
roamingzebra wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:56 pm I love "Better Call Saul" too, but one of the few things I grouse about is the many scenes with low lighting. I think that can be overdone. Especially when people are inside their own homes with barely flashlight lighting. Who does that?! I started noticing the plethora of low-light scenes in Season 3, I think it was, or maybe 4. So, my best memories of the show are in the law offices and in the desert...plenty of lighting haha.
As for LOW lighting, I'm with you! It is some sort of infection that has taken over the television and movie world. I don't get it.

I recently decided to rewatch 2001: A Space Odyssey. The special effects have held up well. And guess what, all the scenes are bright and they pop, pop, pop. No muddled dark images hiding imperfections or trying to set mood.
"Colors: Where did They Go? An Investigation" https://www.vox.com/culture/22840526/co ... lor-sludge. The author offers five possible explanations for the current fad for desaturated colors.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

black jack wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:31 am
Tubes wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:31 am
roamingzebra wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:56 pm I love "Better Call Saul" too, but one of the few things I grouse about is the many scenes with low lighting. I think that can be overdone. Especially when people are inside their own homes with barely flashlight lighting. Who does that?! I started noticing the plethora of low-light scenes in Season 3, I think it was, or maybe 4. So, my best memories of the show are in the law offices and in the desert...plenty of lighting haha.

"Colors: Where did They Go? An Investigation" https://www.vox.com/culture/22840526/co ... lor-sludge. The author offers five possible explanations for the current fad for desaturated colors.
That's a really good article. It also explains why I liked Station Eleven and Midsommar.

I think the theory about lazy color correction is best. They are cranking out productions these days. Who has time to match color? Just wipe it all over into the ooze and you're done.

Perhaps it isn't a coincidence I bring up 2001. Kubrick was nuts about everything. Setting up scenes would take half a day. He was a photography nut -- his roots in still photography -- so lighting and color were always top of mind for him and would cost a lot of time.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

My wife and I have been watching Law and Order, Criminal Intent lately. It's free on a couple streaming channels including Peacock. We somehow never watched it, or even heard of it, until a couple months ago. The show really had "legs." They made enough episodes to fill something like 10 or 12 seasons.

We have, for the most part, been enjoying it. There are some interesting, very unique, creative story lines; and the main, regular characters are interesting, especially the male detective. He's a little odd, and awkward socially, but very bright. Also, uses some creative techniques for getting people to talk.

We like the fact that the show pretty much just sticks to the cases, and doesn't go into the personal lives of the regular, main characters. There aren't a lot of side-story distractions. Also, the main characters keep it professional. The office they work in isn't a soap opera/Payton Place like portrayed in so many other shows.

One thing we don't like about it is that it contains gratuitous, graphic violence. It seems like the story could be told just as well without so many disturbing images.
Last edited by OpenMinded1 on Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

We've been binging through "The Good Wife", which I discovered in this thread. The show moves fast with colorful characters and excellent acting. Each episode is a new case, which keeps it fresh.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Working our way through Star Trek: The Next Generation this year. On season 4 currently. Last year, we got through 4 seasons of Takeshi's Castle. Before that it was The Expanse, and before that Farscape (best sci-fi TV show ever made). We also like the original Japanese Iron Chef. And the whole Twin Peaks 3 or 4 times.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

black jack wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:24 am Spurred into action by word that The Americans was leaving Amazon Prime Video at the end of this month, I started watching it.

So far (four episodes in), I like it: spy thriller/troubled marriage combo. I like the character of Philip, the husband. I wonder what Russians thought of this show.

There are 71 more 50-minute episodes; I don't think I'm going to make it to episode 75 by Sunday night.
That's too bad. Philip was the one who had the biggest character arc. (Or perhaps I should say the biggest character evolution).
Last edited by roamingzebra on Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

sixtyforty wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:35 am We've been binging through "The Good Wife", which I discovered in this thread. The show moves fast with colorful characters and excellent acting. Each episode is a new case, which keeps it fresh.
As I remember it, the colors were vibrant as well. Well-lighted offices. None of that dark stuff. :)

This is another series I can see myself watching again in a decade or so because there are various layers. I watched it the first time for the characters and the general plot. Next time, I think I'd zero in a little more on the actual cases. They were usually pretty clever.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:46 am Working our way through Star Trek: The Next Generation this year. On season 4 currently. Last year, we got through 4 seasons of Takeshi's Castle. Before that it was The Expanse, and before that Farscape (best sci-fi TV show ever made). We also like the original Japanese Iron Chef. And the whole Twin Peaks 3 or 4 times.
I only watched Twin Peaks once, but the rest of your list we've watched multiple times also! My husband saw Farscape a few times to my once, but I enjoyed it. The costumes and puppetry were excellent. The original Japanese Iron Chef and MXC (Takeshi's Castle comically dubbed) is one of our favorites too. ST: TNG is my favorite of all the Star Trek series.

Just finished the Expanse also, it's really good! Now I need to read the books.

If you haven't already you may want to try Firefly! It has a single season and a movie called Serenity.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Currently on Season 2 of Russian Doll, streaming on Netflix.

I liked Season 1, thought the acting was good although (spoiler: the plot was like a strung out version of Groundhog Day. Season 2 so far seems to lack focus and I am having a hard time paying attention but I'm still early in it.