[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cheese_breath

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by cheese_breath »

"The Tourist"... Six episode mini-series on HBO Max.

"When a man wakes up in the Australian outback with no memory, he must use the few clues he has to discover his identity before his past catches up with him." .... (IMDB)

Discovered it a few days ago, and already watched all six episodes. Surprise ending!
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

jjunk wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:28 pm Euphoria on HBO. Series should end soon but this was a very good second season to a show I normally wouldnt think I would like.
I watched both seasons. Based on how they wrapped up pretty much every question, I think it will not have another season, and that's okay. It was sort of like a mini Game of Thrones. The first half built up with incredible action and anxiety. Then the second half resolved without too much thinking needed.

I really liked how the show highlighted so many social/cultural issues of today. It was unrealistic and overdramatic in that the close circle of friends had ALL of the issues going on at one time. But that's TV and movies for you.

In season 2, I liked that they finally told the back story of my favorite character (the sympathetic drug dealer). I did not like that they made my second favorite character into some sort of hero (she was literally nothing but a common friend to everyone in the first season).

[Edit: Apparently season 3 has been "green-lighted". I doubt I will watch it, but you never know.]
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We finally took a look at Borgen, and... amazing.

The actress playing the Prime Minister really came across at times as a Prime Minister.
All of the acting was terrific, as were the plots, except for a bit that involved international affairs that seemed way too simplistic.
And there were a few individual sequences that didn't quite ring true, but when doesn't that happen (plus that could "just be us", etc.).

We just finished Season 2, and have Season 3 yet to go.

We are really enjoying it.

There is dubbing in English with/without English captioning, and most of the time the dubbing is remarkably in sync with the lip movements.
The captioning and the dubbing don't always quite match up, but that's just a minor thing.

Apparently there is a Season 4 currently still in production, several years after the first 3 seasons. We have no idea if all the same characters (or actors) will still be there.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:11 pm We finally took a look at Borgen, and... amazing.

The actress playing the Prime Minister really came across at times as a Prime Minister.
All of the acting was terrific, as were the plots, except for a bit that involved international affairs that seemed way too simplistic.
And there were a few individual sequences that didn't quite ring true, but when doesn't that happen (plus that could "just be us", etc.).

There is dubbing in English with/without English captioning, and most of the time the dubbing is remarkably in sync with the lip movements.
The captioning and the dubbing don't always quite match up, but that's just a minor thing.

Apparently there is a Season 4 currently still in production, several years after the first 3 seasons. We have no idea if all the same characters (or actors) will still be there.

RM
Yes, "Borgen" is very good. Season 1 especially. The rise to the top is always exhilirating!
I saw it on Netflix many years ago. I was surprised to learn a Season 4 is in release! It has been 9 years since Season 3!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Reacher on Amazon Prime. I've never read the books or watched the movie. It's got the same Dragnet style dialog as Bosch, but with different personalities and situations. A bit hokey, but I like it so far.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:53 am
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:11 pm We finally took a look at Borgen, and... amazing.

RM
Yes, "Borgen" is very good. Season 1 especially. The rise to the top is always exhilirating!
I saw it on Netflix many years ago. I was surprised to learn a Season 4 is in release! It has been 9 years since Season 3!
Yup, apparently Season 4 is partly released, partly still coming out (?).
The jump in characters/situations was far more from Seasons 2-to-3 than Seasons 1-to-2 (don't want to include any spoilers), so we really wonder about the jump from 3-to-4, given the very long time lag in reality, not just in the fictional series, etc.
So far there was only one short series arc that didn't quite ring true (a foreign bit with parts that just did not ring true).

We've just started Season 3, so we know the general context, but not where it's going...
There were a few surprises, to be sure. :happy

Although we haven't seen all of Borgen yet (obviously!), I do think that Season 1 was the best, but that is in good part because it was so very refreshing to see such good acting, character development, plot, and filming (hope I didn't leave anything out!) almost entirely. That isn't common.
I also found the staging interesting. There were times with very minimalistic interior backgrounds. One from last night still sticks in my mind. Interior, something like cement-type walls, several chairs, all with horizontal diamond-oblong shaped "slats" in the soft/curved style chairs, and the fronts of the chairs were *vivid* red; the backs were dark/black(?).
It's very odd that something like that made such an impression.

We really hope the overall quality keeps going!

RM
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I have the complete Columbo collection on DVD. It's been sitting around for a while and I decided to dive in -- one show per day,

These shows are classics for a reason. Peter Falk does a great job bringing the character to life. The show has a definite formula, but it works. The guest stars are a who's-who of 70s TV stars and they generally demonstrate why they are stars.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Blues

Post by Blues »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:01 am Reacher on Amazon Prime. I've never read the books or watched the movie. It's got the same Dragnet style dialog as Bosch, but with different personalities and situations. A bit hokey, but I like it so far.
Compared to Reacher,...Bosch, Joe Friday, Bill Gannon and Mr. Spock were charming conversationalists. :oops: :wink:
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:00 am I have the complete Columbo collection on DVD. It's been sitting around for a while and I decided to dive in -- one show per day,

These shows are classics for a reason. Peter Falk does a great job bringing the character to life. The show has a definite formula, but it works. The guest stars are a who's-who of 70s TV stars and they generally demonstrate why they are stars.
Thanks for the reminder.

We always really liked the Falk/Columbo character.
We occasionally get a reminder when some other show seems to mimic it with a variation of the "Just one more thing..." :wink:

This seems like a good time for some Columbo-style distraction!

RM
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

The Looming Tower. Very good.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"Counterpart" on Amazon. Almost finished with season 1 (of 2), pretty unique and interesting premise. There are some minor holes in the plot so far, but otherwise I am wondering why I had never heard of this show.

Edit: apparently it was ready to go for a 3rd season but was cancelled out of the blue. Starz COO said " the show's audience was “too male” to fit into its new female-focused strategy." :shock: https://deadline.com/2019/07/counterpar ... 202655113/

My wife, who really likes the show, is completely confused.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I'm a few eppies into S1 of "Breaking Bad". I had put off watching it because I'm so tired of narco stuff. But I knew it was a good show and so finally made the plunge.

For me, the marketing for the show would have been better if it was described as "how a series of bad decisions can plant the seed of one's destruction". Yeah, this series is all about bad decision-making. Whenever there is a choice to do the right thing, the wrong choice is chosen. This is what I conclude after watching only a few episodes, but I suspect it will be a theme coloring the whole series.

And yep, the series is lauded as one of the best for a reason. It really is fascinating. :)
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:48 pm I'm a few eppies into S1 of "Breaking Bad". I had put off watching it because I'm so tired of narco stuff. But I knew it was a good show and so finally made the plunge.

For me, the marketing for the show would have been better if it was described as "how a series of bad decisions can plant the seed of one's destruction". Yeah, this series is all about bad decision-making. Whenever there is a choice to do the right thing, the wrong choice is chosen. This is what I conclude after watching only a few episodes, but I suspect it will be a theme coloring the whole series.

And yep, the series is lauded as one of the best for a reason. It really is fascinating. :)
"Breaking Bad" [on Netflix and maybe elsewhere] is great!
There was a "lull" [dip in quality] around Season 3 or so. I almost stopped watching it. But the quality revives in the middle of Season 4 with the arrival of Gus Fring. And then Walter White's transformation eventually follows.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:59 am
doobiedoo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:53 am

RM
Yup, apparently Season 4 is partly released, partly still coming out (?).
The jump in characters/situations was far more from Seasons 2-to-3 than Seasons 1-to-2 (don't want to include any spoilers), so we really wonder about the jump from 3-to-4, given the very long time lag in reality, not just in the fictional series, etc.
So far there was only one short series arc that didn't quite ring true (a foreign bit with parts that just did not ring true).

We've just started Season 3, so we know the general context, but not where it's going...
There were a few surprises, to be sure. :happy

Although we haven't seen all of Borgen yet (obviously!), I do think that Season 1 was the best, but that is in good part because it was so very refreshing to see such good acting, character development, plot, and filming (hope I didn't leave anything out!) almost entirely. That isn't common.
I also found the staging interesting. There were times with very minimalistic interior backgrounds. One from last night still sticks in my mind. Interior, something like cement-type walls, several chairs, all with horizontal diamond-oblong shaped "slats" in the soft/curved style chairs, and the fronts of the chairs were *vivid* red; the backs were dark/black(?).
It's very odd that something like that made such an impression.

We really hope the overall quality keeps going!

RM
Just finished Season 3 of "Borgen", and it really held up well. As before, the some (most? all?) of the acting is really terrific.
We think the Katrine character is the best, even though we also very much like the main character, Birgitte.
Interestingly, Katrine is played by an actress named Birgitte. And about 15 years ago, she played Roxie in the musical "Chicago", in Copenhagen. (She had decided to become an actress when she saw a performance of "Chicago" when she was 19.)

It seems that Season 4 of Borgen will be released circa April in Denmark (and perhaps other countries?), but will not have a more widespread release until circa June.

It will be very interesting to see how they handle the time jump. Many of the same actors will be returning.

We sort of feel like our "evening friends" have vanished... :(

RM
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just finished season 15 of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" streaming on Hulu. It met my expectations, as did the previous 14 seasons - I generally watch it as a background show while playing video games.

I do have to say in Ep 6, the Brother Thomas scene is one of the more memorable ones in the season.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

tooluser wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:00 pm Our Flag Means Death

It just premiered on HBOMax today. It's a pirate comedy.

I found the first episode to be good for a few chuckles and fairly entertaining, a good solid B.
It might get better or the theme and the jokes may wear out. We shall see.
After six episodes it's still worth watching so far. I'd still give it a B. The writers and cast have been very resourceful with the variety of jokes and cultural references. There is a Wikipedia page for "The Gentleman Pirate" that is good background reading for an historical basis.

It's notable that the show is produced by Taika Waititi, and he co-stars in it starting about episode 4. One of the pirates is played by Kristian Nairn, who was Hodor in Game of Thrones. He has better lines this time around. And the music is composed by Mark Mothersbaugh, of Devo fame and many subsequent TV and movie soundtracks.

Edit: Fixed the title.
Last edited by tooluser on Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:41 pm "Counterpart" on Amazon. Almost finished with season 1 (of 2), pretty unique and interesting premise. There are some minor holes in the plot so far, but otherwise I am wondering why I had never heard of this show.

Edit: apparently it was ready to go for a 3rd season but was cancelled out of the blue. Starz COO said " the show's audience was “too male” to fit into its new female-focused strategy." :shock: https://deadline.com/2019/07/counterpar ... 202655113/

My wife, who really likes the show, is completely confused.
Yeah this was really a sleeper of a show that I watched a while back and liked quite a bit. The rationale for cancelling was bizarre, but apparently it also didn’t get high ratings. I remember it being on years ago and thinking the premise was hokey- but just an example of sometimes the trailers don’t do a show justice. The good news is that at the end of season 2 it resolves the major plot kind of the first 2 seasons so not a bad ending point.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Watched Bad Vegan on Netflix. A documentary of a lady who opened a restaurant got involved with and married a con artist that essentially brain washed her. Entertaining in that it is hard to believe people can be so gullible. She originally graduated from Wharton.

Don’t know if I mentioned before- watched “pieces of her” on Netflix, not really bad or good. It was OK. I completed it. Wouldn’t necessarily recommend it.

The Gilded Age - HBO - about NY wealth in the late 1800s. Pretty interesting. My wife really likes it. I like it ok.

Watched another episode of a Severance on Apple TV. So far just not feeling it. Don’t know I’ll continue.

I tried starting the last Kingdom on Netflix. Through the first episode it just didn’t grab me. Seemed kind of “heavy”. Perhaps it is one of those that demand wading through a few episodes.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

The Thing About Pam … (based on Dateline podcasts investigating a 2011 murder)

“When Betsy Faria is murdered in small-town Missouri, the police believe it's an open-and-shut case involving her husband, who is arrested and found guilty of the crime. However, unanswered questions remain, and the case not only leads to a wrongful conviction but also sets into motion a chain of events that exposes a diabolical scheme involving Betsy's close friend Pam Hupp. Never considered a suspect, even though she was the last person to see Betsy alive, Pam keeps changing her story as she evades questions and leads investigators through a chilling series of unexpected twists and turns.” … (Rotten Tomatoes)

A limited series of six episodes presented like a Dateline program. Renee Zelleweger plays Pam. The first two episodes have aired to date. I watch it on NBC TV each week, but apparently it’s also available to stream on Peacock and Hulu.

It took about 20-30 minutes into the first episode to catch my interest, but now I’m waiting anxiously for episode three to air. Not great, but entertaining.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JBTX wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:55 pm
I tried starting the last Kingdom on Netflix. Through the first episode it just didn’t grab me. Seemed kind of “heavy”. Perhaps it is one of those that demand wading through a few episodes.
This is probably next on our list. The first two seasons were pretty good, the last two were really bad so I am not expecting much from season 5. But, we like Vikings shows a lot, so much so that "Vikings" was the inspiration for my son's name.

We watched the first episode of "The Dropout" on Hulu last night. I like Amanda Seyfried a lot, but she is not the actress for this role. She does not look the part, at all (way too short, doesn't do the body language or voice quite right, doesn't really have Elizabeth Holmes' crazy strung out look down). Also, having watched multiple documentaries on the subject, I don't like that they have taken multiple liberties with the story; it seems, mostly, to try to get the audience to kind of feel sorry for Holmes. We'll finish it, but I don't think it is done very well.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:31 am
This is probably next on our list. The first two seasons were pretty good, the last two were really bad so I am not expecting much from season 5. But, we like Vikings shows a lot, so much so that "Vikings" was the inspiration for my son's name.

We watched the first episode of "The Dropout" on Hulu last night. I like Amanda Seyfried a lot, but she is not the actress for this role. She does not look the part, at all (way too short, doesn't do the body language or voice quite right, doesn't really have Elizabeth Holmes' crazy strung out look down). Also, having watched multiple documentaries on the subject, I don't like that they have taken multiple liberties with the story; it seems, mostly, to try to get the audience to kind of feel sorry for Holmes. We'll finish it, but I don't think it is done very well.
Based on the near universal acclaim for the show ( Last Kingdom) I plowed forward and watched a few more episodes. I’m not in love with it yet but it does get better.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

"Dopesick" on Hulu. Incredible series, starring Michael Keaton which tells the story of the predatory practices used by Purdue Pharma and the Sackler family and the role they played in the opiod (OxyContin) epidemic. The FDA had a role as well. It's hard not to get mad watching this film. Highly recommended.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

sixtyforty wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:34 am "Dopesick" on Hulu. Incredible series, starring Michael Keaton which tells the story of the predatory practices used by Purdue Pharma and the Sackler family and the role they played in the opiod (OxyContin) epidemic. The FDA had a role as well. It's hard not to get mad watching this film. Highly recommended.
Thanks.

This fits right in with the current viewing: "Inventing Anna" and "The Dropout".
All good uplifting stories... NOT! :annoyed

RM
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:31 am We watched the first episode of "The Dropout" on Hulu last night. I like Amanda Seyfried a lot, but she is not the actress for this role. She does not look the part, at all (way too short, doesn't do the body language or voice quite right, doesn't really have Elizabeth Holmes' crazy strung out look down). Also, having watched multiple documentaries on the subject, I don't like that they have taken multiple liberties with the story; it seems, mostly, to try to get the audience to kind of feel sorry for Holmes. We'll finish it, but I don't think it is done very well.
Yeah, it's the same old thing: the adaption vs the real thing.

While watching "The Dropout", I mildly resented the fact that I was actually liking the Holmes character because they were making her sympathetic -- a cheerful, ambitious, go-getter who wants to change the world. The one red flag was when she paired the do-gooding goal with the monetary goal of becoming a billionaire. That kind of plants the seeds of greed, degraded ethics and eventual destruction. Still, overall, I was liking her because I had nothing to compare her portrayal with having not followed the Elizabeth Holmes story in real life. Many people who followed the real story really dig in at criticizing Seyfried's voice and mannerisms, which is too bad since in a vacuum this seems to be Seyfried's best work and her character is fascinating to watch for those who don't know any better. :)

Then there's "Reacher". A lot of people liked it even though it was a campy version of the real thing. I personally like the books a lot better, but the TV series was fun, and unlike with "The Dropout", Reacher comes away as a likeable person of high ethics (well, his own brand of highly questionable ethics haha) in both mediums.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Seyfried seems to like these quasi-biographies.

She also starred in "Lovelace," which was based on Linda Lovelace's side of the story of her porn career, i.e. a more sympathetic take. I thought she did pretty well in it too.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:52 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:31 am We watched the first episode of "The Dropout" on Hulu last night. I like Amanda Seyfried a lot, but she is not the actress for this role. She does not look the part, at all (way too short, doesn't do the body language or voice quite right, doesn't really have Elizabeth Holmes' crazy strung out look down). Also, having watched multiple documentaries on the subject, I don't like that they have taken multiple liberties with the story; it seems, mostly, to try to get the audience to kind of feel sorry for Holmes. We'll finish it, but I don't think it is done very well.
Yeah, it's the same old thing: the adaption vs the real thing.

While watching "The Dropout", I mildly resented the fact that I was actually liking the Holmes character because they were making her sympathetic -- a cheerful, ambitious, go-getter who wants to change the world. The one red flag was when she paired the do-gooding goal with the monetary goal of becoming a billionaire. That kind of plants the seeds of greed, degraded ethics and eventual destruction. Still, overall, I was liking her because I had nothing to compare her portrayal with having not followed the Elizabeth Holmes story in real life. Many people who followed the real story really dig in at criticizing Seyfried's voice and mannerisms, which is too bad since in a vacuum this seems to be Seyfried's best work and her character is fascinating to watch for those who don't know any better. :)
I could see myself liking it a lot more if I didn't know the story very well beforehand. It kind of sickens me how much they twist the story to try to drum up sympathy for Holmes.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

The Cleaning Lady. I liked it. A Cambodian doctor comes to the US illegally to get medical treatment for her sick child and gets wrapped up in working for a criminal.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:20 am The Cleaning Lady. I liked it. A Cambodian doctor comes to the US illegally to get medical treatment for her sick child and gets wrapped up in working for a criminal.
Great program.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

JBTX wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:57 pm

Based on the near universal acclaim for the show ( Last Kingdom) I plowed forward and watched a few more episodes. I’m not in love with it yet but it does get better.
I watched the first two seasons a couple of years ago, then just kind of lost interest. I'm thinking of picking up Cornwell's first book of the series on Audible. It would be an enjoyable listen while working out in the yard. Love the name of the main character. If I was 30 years younger and had a boy, I'd name him Uhtred. 8-)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:21 am

I watched the first two seasons a couple of years ago, then just kind of lost interest. I'm thinking of picking up Cornwell's first book of the series on Audible. It would be an enjoyable listen while working out in the yard. Love the name of the main character. If I was 30 years younger and had a boy, I'd name him Uhtred. 8-)
I probably am 30yrs younger, we named our son Odin (and his ethnicity almost couldn't be further from Norse). That's how much my wife liked "Vikings".
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:24 am
Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:21 am

I probably am 30yrs younger, we named our son Odin (and his ethnicity almost couldn't be further from Norse). That's how much my wife liked "Vikings".
Very cool! :sharebeer
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Due to BH recommendations I watched a few old Columbo episodes on YouTube recently. I never watched it the first time around. Good stuff!
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:27 am Due to BH recommendations I watched a few old Columbo episodes on YouTube recently. I never watched it the first time around. Good stuff!
I did the same. I find "Columbo" way too dated, but the concept was great. Would be nice to have a modernized version. The actor, however, would have to be as talented as Peter Falk.

Simon Baker's character, Patrick Jane of "The Mentalist", comes to mind if the goal were a snappier version of Columbo.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

DMZ. Disappointed. Totally unbelievable.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:54 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:27 am Due to BH recommendations I watched a few old Columbo episodes on YouTube recently. I never watched it the first time around. Good stuff!
I did the same. I find "Columbo" way too dated, but the concept was great. Would be nice to have a modernized version. The actor, however, would have to be as talented as Peter Falk.

Simon Baker's character, Patrick Jane of "The Mentalist", comes to mind if the goal were a snappier version of Columbo.
I was alive when it originally aired. I skipped it because his clothes, hair and sloppiness were really offputting at the time. People today may not realize what an outlier they were at the time. But that was part of Columbo’s tactic. To appear bumbling so people would not take him seriously - and reveal too much.

I was a fan of Perry Mason and McGarrett on Hawaii Five O. :)
RichardRoman

Post by RichardRoman »

Life & Beth on Hulu.

Gotta be an Amy Schumer fan, I think. It also helps if one of your parents have died and you have conflicting feelings about it.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I’d like to see Adam Sandler as an updated bumbling Colombo.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:16 pm

I was alive when it originally aired. I skipped it because his clothes, hair and sloppiness were really offputting at the time. People today may not realize what an outlier they were at the time. But that was part of Columbo’s tactic. To appear bumbling so people would not take him seriously - and reveal too much.

Then you might like Peter Gunn… before James Bond hit the screens
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:54 pm I find "Columbo" way too dated...
I don't understand this. Does Casablanca seem too dated? The time frame is part of the show!

Sure, someone could make a Columbo-like show and it could be very good, but it would be something different and not Columbo. Enjoy it for what it is. It is considered a classic for good reason. Also, Peter Falk's Colombo character is best left to Peter Falk.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

cheese_breath wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:34 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:20 am The Cleaning Lady. I liked it. A Cambodian doctor comes to the US illegally to get medical treatment for her sick child and gets wrapped up in working for a criminal.
Great program.
Wife and I liked it.

Since I'm 60, at first had to cringe at the use of some of the hip hop songs. As the series went on, I actually got into it and put one on my playlist.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Tubes wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:24 am
cheese_breath wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:34 am
Great program.
Wife and I liked it.

Since I'm 60, at first had to cringe at the use of some of the hip hop songs. As the series went on, I actually got into it and put one on my playlist.
That cliched it. The thought that I might put a hip hop song on my playlist is intriguing enough that I will add the show to my queue.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

cheese_breath wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:38 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:16 pm

Then you might like Peter Gunn… before James Bond hit the screens
Looks interesting. I was also a big fan of The Saint - Roger Moore in his pre James Bond days. Anyone remember that show?
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Goliath on Amazon Prime, rated TV-MA, drama. I just watched the first episode of Season 1 based on the comments in this thread. Billy Bob Thornton makes this series worthwhile. I would agree it's on the level of Bosch or Ozark quality and will keep going.

Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 on Netflix, animation, Japanese (spoken English available). I thought some Japanese anime would be interesting. Not this series. It's more of an animated video game. Fortunately, the episodes are only 20 minutes long. I stopped after the first episode. Not recommended.

I'm holding off on Ozark until the second half of Season 4 shows up on April 29, 2022.

Heads up: Better Call Saul Season 5 starts April 4, 2022 and there's a possibility for Season 6. (Netflix)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

cheese_breath wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:38 pm Then you might like Peter Gunn… before James Bond hit the screens
The music alone is enough to make it a must-see (and hear) classic.

Great cast. My favorite was Herschel Bernardi as Jacoby, Gunn's friend and put-upon police lieutenant. This type of character has been used in private eye shows for years, perhaps most notably Lt. Dennis Becker (Joe Santos) in The Rockford Files.

The 1950s-1960s atmosphere is interesting to those of us who were there! Of course, it was a make-believe, pretend, over-the-top atmosphere as most TV shows are. So, it doesn't give you a real feel for the time, just what people found entertaining at the time. (How real is today's Hawaii Five-O?)
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

bertilak wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:33 am
cheese_breath wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:38 pm Then you might like Peter Gunn… before James Bond hit the screens

Great cast. My favorite was Herschel Bernardi as Jacoby, Gunn's friend and put-upon police lieutenant. This type of character has been used in private eye shows for years, perhaps most notably Lt. Dennis Becker (Joe Santos) in The Rockford Files.

The 1950s-1960s atmosphere is interesting to those of us who were there! Of course, it was a make-believe, pretend, over-the-top atmosphere as most TV shows are. So, it doesn't give you a real feel for the time, just what people found entertaining at the time. (How real is today's Hawaii Five-O?)

Just listened to the Peter Gunn theme song - I’ve heard it before! So I guess I have seen the show.

Are In Cold Blood, Perry Mason and The Pawnbroker accurate portrayals of what the 50s were like?? They seem very gritty and realistic to me but I arrived on the scene in the mid 60s. And that Beat Generation thing … seems real too. Women wearing jeans to rebel… :) because the dress code was so strict (a-line skirts and hose).
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:35 am

Just listened to the Peter Gunn theme song - I’ve heard it before! So I guess I have seen the show.

Are In Cold Blood, Perry Mason and The Pawnbroker accurate portrayals of what the 50s were like?? They seem very gritty and realistic to me but I arrived on the scene in the mid 60s. And that Beat Generation thing … seems real too. Women wearing jeans to rebel… :) because the dress code was so strict (a-line skirts and hose).
I guess it depends. For me, Leave It to Beaver might have been the most realistic! Favorite character was, of course, Eddie Haskell!

Perry Mason was pretty realistic. Not familiar with In Cold Blood (The book was certainly realistic) and The Pawnbroker.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

bertilak wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:48 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:35 am

I guess it depends. For me, Leave It to Beaver might have been the most realistic! Favorite character was, of course, Eddie Haskell!

Perry Mason was pretty realistic. Not familiar with In Cold Blood (The book was certainly realistic) and The Pawnbroker.
You are in for a major treat if you see them. They are in my top ten movies of all time!! Others are Twelve (Russian w subtitles), Fellini’s I Vitelloni / The Slackers (Italian with Subtitles), My Brilliant Friend (same)… oh you didn’t ask. But I’m very enthusiastic!
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

bertilak wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:22 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:54 pm I find "Columbo" way too dated...
I don't understand this. Does Casablanca seem too dated? The time frame is part of the show!

Sure, someone could make a Columbo-like show and it could be very good, but it would be something different and not Columbo. Enjoy it for what it is. It is considered a classic for good reason. Also, Peter Falk's Colombo character is best left to Peter Falk.
I haven't seen "Casablanca" but it's actually easier for me to figure out what I don't like about many old movies -- the voices. They tend to be clipped, overly fast and nasal, for the men at any rate. It degrades the viewing enjoyment for me. (An exception being Raymond Burr in "Perry Mason", which isn't a movie of course, but he's an example of measured, deliberate enunciation, which I like.)

With "Colombo", it's partly the older production values and I really get tired of beige -- the beige trench coat, etc. Patrick Jane in "The Mentalist" also wore the same outfit every single day (a grey suit with vest), but it wasn't beige and I think he wore colorful shirts. There also was a lot of outdoor sunshine to balance the sometimes dark plots. Shallow, perhaps. But the studios don't splurge on good production values for nothing. It makes a difference for some of us viewers. No question, though, it's all very subjective. :)

OTOH, I do like the TV version of "The Paper Chase". It's ridiculously dated. But there's something about it that grew on me despite the overacting by some and the hippie hair on the main character. Go figure.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Empire of the Air: The Men Who Made Radio (1991) Written & directed by Ken Burns, narrated by Jason Robards

From IMBd:

For 50 years, radio dominated the airwaves as the first mass medium. Ken Burns examines the lives of three men who shared the responsibility for its invention and early success.

Ken Burns’s masterful history of the birth and evolution of radio, profiling three of its pioneers: Lee deForest (the “Audion” tube), Howard Armstrong (super-heterodyne and FM), and David Sarnoff (RCA). It deals not only with the inventive genius involved but also with its effect on American culture and the cuttthroat machinations of big business in destroying peoples’ lives in the interest of profits. I love this stuff.

I streamed it on PBS Passport.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"Scenes from a Marriage" a miniseries on Hulu starring Oscaar issac and Jessica Chastain. I like both actors so was looking forward to this.

I really liked the first 3 episodes. The fourth was the first one were I felt it was just too much of having only these two characters. I feel like it should have had some other content mixed in to break up the scene. Every time they stopped fighting I was waiting for it and then they'd start up again, it was exasperating. The fifth episode was a little like that too. I just feel like it could have used a little bit more editing. Overall it was good and I enjoyed watching it although it is a pretty sad piece in general.

It also was very lofty with the fancy house/cars and high paying jobs. I think it's why I like the movie "Little Miss Sunshine" better as a look into family dynamics and a troubled relationship since the family was a bit lower income and felt more real.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca