[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SagaciousTraveler

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

Space Force. Hilarious. Just finished Season one.

Seinfeld. Just started Season four. Really holds up as most good shows do.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

tooluser wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:02 pm
wabbott wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:17 pm Peter Gunn, season 1, episode 2. Just set my dvr to record the entire series on MeTV. I may have seen an episode or two back when I was 9 or 10 years old, but IIRC we couldn't pick up that network on our antenna. Listening to the theme song makes it worthwhile, regardless of the story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gunn
GenX'ers like me probably first heard that song in the movie The Blues Brothers, and in the arcade game Spyhunter. Both also excellent in their own ways.
The Blues Brothers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DgFOsEs-kE
Spyhunter: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=9742 (Interesting Trivia section near the bottom of the page.)
Just discovered that ALL the Peter Gunn episodes are available on You Tube streaming for free. So now I don't have to wait for the Sunday night airing on MeTV for the next episodes. But I'm seriously bummed that 77 Sunset Strip seems to be unavailable on any streaming channel. Anyone else have any luck finding 77 SS anywhere?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

wabbott wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:20 pm
wabbott wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:17 pm Peter Gunn, season 1, episode 2. Just set my dvr to record the entire series on MeTV. I may have seen an episode or two back when I was 9 or 10 years old, but IIRC we couldn't pick up that network on our antenna. Listening to the theme song makes it worthwhile, regardless of the story.

GenX'ers like me probably first heard that song in the movie The Blues Brothers, and in the arcade game Spyhunter. Both also excellent in their own ways.
Spyhunter: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=9742 (Interesting Trivia section near the bottom of the page.)
Just discovered that ALL the Peter Gunn episodes are available on You Tube streaming for free. So now I don't have to wait for the Sunday night airing on MeTV for the next episodes. But I'm seriously bummed that 77 Sunset Strip seems to be unavailable on any streaming channel. Anyone else have any luck finding 77 SS anywhere?
No help on 77 Sunset Strip, but I'd love to find a couple of episodes just so DW will know what I'm referring to when I say "There's Kookie" every time I see Edd Burns make a guest appearance in some other old TV series.

I don't want to spoil anything for you, but Peter Gunn gets knocked in the head in practically every single episode. He must have had over a hundred concussions!
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:45 pm
wabbott wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:20 pm

No help on 77 Sunset Strip, but I'd love to find a couple of episodes just so DW will know what I'm referring to when I say "There's Kookie" every time I see Edd Burns make a guest appearance in some other old TV series.

I don't want to spoil anything for you, but Peter Gunn gets knocked in the head in practically every single episode. He must have had over a hundred concussions!
Here ya go. This site has a few episodes of 77 SS. My tv won't pick up this website, so I have to watch it on my computer.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x829tom

I've already noticed in the episodes of PG that he's a brawler. Ain't no tougher than Stacy Keach's Mike Hammer, tho.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Thanks!
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

MDfan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:01 am
topper1296 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:07 pm
IvanW wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:19 pm
topper1296 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:56 am
itispossible wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:17 pm Schitt's Creek
+1 and I added Schitt's Creek to my personal "Mt Rushmore" of comedies which is a very select list for me. One of the best things about the show is that I felt emotionally connected to the characters which is something I can't say about hardly any other comedy.
Which begs the obvious question ... what other comedies belong on your personal "Mt. Rushmore"?
Fair question and in no particular order. I also realize this list might be heavily influenced by how old you are. Doubt many from Gen Z has ever heard of the original Roseanne and Frasier and their list would probably look a lot different that mine. :D

Frasier
Seinfeld
Modern Family
Friends
The Big Bang Theory
Schitt's Creek
Roseanne

The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, and Arrested Development are absolutely on that list for me. If you go back to the 70s/80s, no list is complete without shows like Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart Show (and Newhart), Cheers, and Taxi. If you're adding cable comedies, Veep is on my list as is Curb Your Enthusiasm.
I could have included The Office on my Mt Rushmore, but only with an * at the end.

*only the seasons that had Michael Scott. IMO, the show was never the same after Steve Carell left.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Big Bang Theory, reruns on TBS.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

JBTX wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:57 pm

Started Station 11 on HBO, a post extreme pandemic apocalyptic mini series - about 2 seasons episodes in, I’m not sure what to think yet.
Finished the series. Overall I liked it. It was one of those where you kept going back and forth in time with back stories. I liked the first episode , but got spooked by episode 2 which seemed like it was going to go forward with a really goofy / artsy post apocalyptic plot. But fortunately that wasn’t the case. Ending was a bit sappy but overall a good show. I can’t really think of anything else quite like it. Got 98 critics score on Rotten tomatoes, 70 something audience. I’d put it somewhere in the middle of that.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Sons of Liberty mini series.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

We watched the 2/24 reboot of the Law & Order franchise (supposedly with Sam Waterson). What a disappointment. Waterson as Jack McCoy appears for a couple/several brief scenes. The other cast try but the episode is unsatisfying. The new detective is so irritating.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I'm partway thru season one of "True Detective". Very well done and novel concept with the plot mainly unfolding through interrogations of two once-partnered detectives. Interesting to see Woody Harrelson in a dark series. But Matthew McConaughey's character is the real stand-out: He's an intellectual detective with an esoteric bent. He is so relentlessly downbeat, however, that I sometimes feel the need to come up for air. I'll decide later whether to continue to seasons two and three (which apparently involve different pairings of detectives).
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Not sure if I mentioned this before but still watching In the Dark on Netflix. We are midway through season 2. It started off well with a young (30?) blind lady who is friends with a black teenager boy. She would talk to him outside while smoking. Then she thinks he might have been killed. But then as the first season ends and the second starts her and her friends start doing more and more crazy things which makes you less incline to root for them. I don't want to say too much.

I'm not someone who needs all happy/positive shows but it helps if there is someone in a show that I can root for unlike a show like Ozark which is good but everyone seems like a terrible person. Murphy (In the Dark's main character) is interesting but does cause all of her friends to get into trouble or end up doing illegal stuff which, even for a tv show, is a bit far fetched.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

rich126 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:33 am Not sure if I mentioned this before but still watching In the Dark on Netflix. We are midway through season 2. It started off well with a young (30?) blind lady who is friends with a black teenager boy. She would talk to him outside while smoking. Then she thinks he might have been killed. But then as the first season ends and the second starts her and her friends start doing more and more crazy things which makes you less incline to root for them. I don't want to say too much.

I'm not someone who needs all happy/positive shows but it helps if there is someone in a show that I can root for unlike a show like Ozark which is good but everyone seems like a terrible person. Murphy (In the Dark's main character) is interesting but does cause all of her friends to get into trouble or end up doing illegal stuff which, even for a tv show, is a bit far fetched.
That isn't the "Dark" I know from Netflix. Typo?
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

All Creatures Great and Small (PBS) - Season 2
Perfect escapist fare for these times, but not as good as season 1 I think. Kind of more of the same, not necessarily a bad thing.

Deadwind (Netflix) - Seasons 1 and 2
Finnish Nordic Noir. We liked the characters and the different settings, but I think it's more for Nordic Noir fans in general, not up to the standards of other Nordic Noir series.

The Expanse (Prime) - Season 1
Really enjoying this, I cannot believe we missed watching this all these years. I knew about it and it was in the queue, just never got to it.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Finished Peacemaker on HBO, it was ok. Was really hoping it wouldnt be as goofy/childish as it was. Had some good laugh out loud parts though.

Righteous Gemstones on HBO. Probably McBride's best series IMO. Very funny and hits the right amount of childish humor without going as overboard as Peacemaker.

Euphoria on HBO. Series should end soon but this was a very good second season to a show I normally wouldnt think I would like.

Raised by Wolves on HBO. Loving season two. While the first two episodes werent great it really has picked up in the last episodes and gotten back to what made season one so great.

The Afterparty on AppleTV. I like the show, my wife quit watching.

Suspicion on AppleTV. Not the best acting but very interesting whodunit British series. We enjoy it.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

heartwood wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:52 am We watched the 2/24 reboot of the Law & Order franchise (supposedly with Sam Waterson). What a disappointment. Waterson as Jack McCoy appears for a couple/several brief scenes. The other cast try but the episode is unsatisfying. The new detective is so irritating.
I also watched. I was honestly disappointed they brought Jack McCoy back, so I was happy that he did not get much screen time (plus, yikes, he looked terrible). Anyway, it's L&O, so I'll keep watching it as long as they don't get too "political current event-y".
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

JUDGE JUDY.

she’s one tough mama.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"Inventing Anna". Finished the limited series.

Smartest people in New York City got fooled.

Ed
ultimate millennial

Post by ultimate millennial »

"Severance" on Apple TV. The show is about a large, mysterious technology company (think Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc.) that has a 'severed' employees department. In this department an employee's work and non-work memories are "severed" by a small device so the employee doesn't remember anything about work while at home and nothing about home life while at work. Anti-corporate and pro-worker themes are prevalent throughout but they take a backseat to the rampant mysteries scattered throughout the show.

The show starts slow but episode one ends with a cliffhanger that gets you hooked. The show has lots of mysteries similar to "Lost" and I've enjoyed theorizing with my friends between episodes about what everything means and predictions for the show. I give it a 7.5/10 for the first three episodes. Rating is subject to change based on the rest of the season!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Murder in Provence starring Roger Allam (DI Fred Thursday in Endeavour). From BritBox. I've seen the first of three available episodes. I hope and expect there will be more!

In France, apparently, criminal investigations are led by judges. Roger Allam stars as an investigating judge, Antoine Verlaque. He is, of course, excellent! I am not familiar with the rest of the cast, but they certainly are top-notch.

Despite being set in the south of France it is mostly in English.

This is a wonderful show. Great acting, directing and scripting with high production values.

Highly recommended!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:01 pm I'm partway thru season one of "True Detective". Very well done and novel concept with the plot mainly unfolding through interrogations of two once-partnered detectives. Interesting to see Woody Harrelson in a dark series. But Matthew McConaughey's character is the real stand-out: He's an intellectual detective with an esoteric bent. He is so relentlessly downbeat, however, that I sometimes feel the need to come up for air. I'll decide later whether to continue to seasons two and three (which apparently involve different pairings of detectives).
Season 1 was very good, primarily due to the two main actors and characters but also a really dark plot.

Season 2 was a mess that very few liked and you’ll have to go on the internet to figure out what the heck was going on.

Season 3 was very good, some great acting but a much more subdued pace and theme.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JBTX wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:05 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:01 pm I'm partway thru season one of "True Detective". Very well done and novel concept with the plot mainly unfolding through interrogations of two once-partnered detectives. Interesting to see Woody Harrelson in a dark series. But Matthew McConaughey's character is the real stand-out: He's an intellectual detective with an esoteric bent. He is so relentlessly downbeat, however, that I sometimes feel the need to come up for air. I'll decide later whether to continue to seasons two and three (which apparently involve different pairings of detectives).
Season 1 was very good, primarily due to the two main actors and characters but also a really dark plot.

Season 2 was a mess that very few liked and you’ll have to go on the internet to figure out what the heck was going on.

Season 3 was very good, some great acting but a much more subdued pace and theme.
This. Most people, including myself, just skipped season 2 altogether.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

bertilak wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:00 am Murder in Provence starring Roger Allam (DI Fred Thursday in Endeavour). From BritBox. I've seen the first of three available episodes. I hope and expect there will be more!

In France, apparently, criminal investigations are led by judges. Roger Allam stars as an investigating judge, Antoine Verlaque. He is, of course, excellent! I am not familiar with the rest of the cast, but they certainly are top-notch.

This is a wonderful show. Great acting, directing and scripting with high production values.

Highly recommended!
Thanks for the heads-up. We saw it on Brit Box' splash screen last night but continued another series we had been watching. I anticipate Murder in Provence will be playing this evening.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Archive 81
Very good at first. They managed to evoke the same disturbing atmosphere as in masterpieces such as Kill List and Starry Eyes, but eventually failed to deliver. Methinks because they tried to set the basis for season 2, rather than giving it a good closing. Still I don't regret taking the time to watch it.

Severance
Still not sure what to make of it. It could be good; we'll have to keep watching I guess.

Inventing Anna
Only watched the first episode. Interesting, but I got busy and had to cut on TV time.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

bertilak wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:00 am Murder in Provence starring Roger Allam (DI Fred Thursday in Endeavour). From BritBox. I've seen the first of three available episodes. I hope and expect there will be more!

Highly recommended!
Season one has only three episodes. I haven't seen any of them yet. But thanks to your comments, not to mention Roger Allam, I'm looking forward to watching them. Hopefully there will be more episodes in subsequent seasons.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:33 pm Archive 81
Very good at first. They managed to evoke the same disturbing atmosphere as in masterpieces such as Kill List and Starry Eyes, but eventually failed to deliver. Methinks because they tried to set the basis for season 2, rather than giving it a good closing. Still I don't regret taking the time to watch it.
Totally agree. It was really intriguing but the last few episodes got a little too much and the ending was not good. I would watch a second season.

Wife and I were trying to figure out why it was called "Archive 81" as there is no mention of that throughout the series. Apparently it is based off of a podcast of that name.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:18 pm

Highly recommended!
Season one has only three episodes. I haven't seen any of them yet. But thanks to your comments, not to mention Roger Allam, I'm looking forward to watching them. Hopefully there will be more episodes in subsequent seasons.
Only three, huh? That's a bit disappointing! Well, I guess quality trumps quantity.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

topper1296 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:38 pm
topper1296 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:56 am

+1 and I added Schitt's Creek to my personal "Mt Rushmore" of comedies which is a very select list for me. One of the best things about the show is that I felt emotionally connected to the characters which is something I can't say about hardly any other comedy.
Which begs the obvious question ... what other comedies belong on your personal "Mt. Rushmore"?
Fair question and in no particular order. I also realize this list might be heavily influenced by how old you are. Doubt many from Gen Z has ever heard of the original Roseanne and Frasier and their list would probably look a lot different that mine. :D

Frasier
Seinfeld
Modern Family
Friends
The Big Bang Theory
Schitt's Creek
Roseanne

The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, and Arrested Development are absolutely on that list for me. If you go back to the 70s/80s, no list is complete without shows like Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart Show (and Newhart), Cheers, and Taxi. If you're adding cable comedies, Veep is on my list as is Curb Your Enthusiasm.
I could have included The Office on my Mt Rushmore, but only with an * at the end.

*only the seasons that had Michael Scott. IMO, the show was never the same after Steve Carell left.
+1
I think the writers must have changed as well.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:35 pm
Bylo Selhi wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:18 pm

Highly recommended!
Only three, huh? That's a bit disappointing! Well, I guess quality trumps quantity.
Oh my, yes indeed... amazing acting! Just watched the first episode.
And good writing as well. A few little "real life" touches added a lot. DH and I got a special kick out of the hot flashes bit. :wink:

It was also a nice surprise to see Patricia Hodges again, as the Mother.
And Roger Allam certainly didn't disappoint. He's terrific. I need to find more of his performances...

I think this is from a police procedural type series, all set in the Aix area.
It was discussed here a few years ago, along with a similar series set in Venice, and another set more inland in France, somewhat near the Dordogne region IIRC. (Three different authors.)

REALLY good! Many thanks.

Some of the French scattered in the dialogue seemed to challenge the AI closed captioning bot, however.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Swimmer wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:59 pm
topper1296 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:38 pm

Frasier
Seinfeld
Modern Family
Friends
The Big Bang Theory
Schitt's Creek
Roseanne

+1
I think the writers must have changed as well.
+2, although James Spader is amazing in everything
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:12 pm I think this is from a police procedural type series, all set in the Aix area.
It was discussed here a few years ago, along with a similar series set in Venice, and another set more inland in France, somewhat near the Dordogne region IIRC. (Three different authors.)
Best guess re: Venice is "Donna Leon", a TV series adapted from Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti series.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0896667/

I watched some of the "Donna Leon" eppies some time ago, but was disappointed they didn't live up to the books. Maybe it was wrong to compare it to the books...I don't know.

"Murder in Provence" sounds great and I will add it to my list.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Our Flag Means Death

It just premiered on HBOMax today. It's a pirate comedy.

I found the first episode to be good for a few chuckles and fairly entertaining, a good solid B.
It might get better or the theme and the jokes may wear out. We shall see.

Edit: Fixed the title.
Last edited by tooluser on Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Raised by Wolves on HBO Max

"Raised by Wolves centers on "two androids, Father and Mother, tasked with raising human children on Kepler-22b after the Earth was destroyed by a great war. As the burgeoning colony of humans threatens to be torn apart by religious differences, the androids learn that controlling the beliefs of humans is a treacherous and difficult task." ... Wikipedia

I discovered it a few weeks ago, and am now all caught up on seasons 1 and 2.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

ultimate millennial wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:56 pm "Severance" on Apple TV. The show is about a large, mysterious technology company (think Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc.) that has a 'severed' employees department. In this department an employee's work and non-work memories are "severed" by a small device so the employee doesn't remember anything about work while at home and nothing about home life while at work. Anti-corporate and pro-worker themes are prevalent throughout but they take a backseat to the rampant mysteries scattered throughout the show.

The show starts slow but episode one ends with a cliffhanger that gets you hooked. The show has lots of mysteries similar to "Lost" and I've enjoyed theorizing with my friends between episodes about what everything means and predictions for the show. I give it a 7.5/10 for the first three episodes. Rating is subject to change based on the rest of the season!
I saw the first eppy and I can't honestly say that I liked it.

But the first thing that came to mind was: "Liminal Space".

Redditors beat me to it. :) The New TV Show Severance is filled with Shots of Liminal Space
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Vikings Valhalla on Netflix. Not nearly as good as the original show, which apparently it is meant to follow, but it was better than I thought it would be. Will definitely watch the next season.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:05 pm Raised by Wolves on HBO Max

"Raised by Wolves centers on "two androids, Father and Mother, tasked with raising human children on Kepler-22b after the Earth was destroyed by a great war. As the burgeoning colony of humans threatens to be torn apart by religious differences, the androids learn that controlling the beliefs of humans is a treacherous and difficult task." ... Wikipedia

I discovered it a few weeks ago, and am now all caught up on seasons 1 and 2.
I'm a bit of a fan, but still need to catch up on season 2. I had to pause to finish other stuff on Netflix then suspend my account there.

RBW is out there and not everyone's cup of tea. It is unique and challenges the viewer with subjects not frequently part of the narrative, especially with regard to religion and atheism.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Jean-Luc(*) returns in Star Trek: Picard season 2. See also this interview with Patrick Stewart: ‘I’d go straight home and drink until I passed out’

(*) et al from TNG. Here be spoilers of sorts: ‘Picard’ Season 2 Makes a Highly Logical Return to Its Star Trek Roots
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Finished S1 of Hacks. Liked it.
Watched S04E01 of Ozark. Not sure if this season will be as good.
Caught up on all Raised By Wolves
Caught up on Billions. This season I am not liking as much as prior ones.
Watched S01 of 1883. Not a show I'd typically watch, but enjoyed it.
Finished S01 of Inventing Anna. Liked it.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Still watching Resident Alien. Thought the part with the dog and octopus this week was a gas. :D :D :D
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
young danny

Post by young danny »

How To Get Away With Murder - Juicy. First few season were real binge worthy

Only Murders in the Building - Well, well done comedy

Schitt’s Creek - My wife and I really are enjoying it. It took 2.5 seasons to get there, but once there, we sped thru and are now midway thru season 6. Moira is my favorite. Her speaking cadence and vocabulary is genius.

Hinterland - Really enjoyed it. Dark, we’ll acted Welsh drama.

Gilded Age - My wife and I are Downton suckers and this is all that.

Bridgeton - We love drama, juiciness and man this is full of it!

Monk - Watching the middle to end seasons (no Sharona) and it’s so early 2000’s heartfelt.

My comedy Mount Rushmore (I’m 35).
1) Veep
2) South Park
3) Seinfeld
4) Family Guy

Sooooo many runners up: First several Simpson seasons, Fraiser, The Critic, Arrested Development first few seasons, The Office with Michael Scott, Parks and Rec, Schitt’s Creek season 3 to the end.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:59 am
ultimate millennial wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:56 pm "Severance" on Apple TV. The show is about a large, mysterious technology company (think Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc.) that has a 'severed' employees department. In this department an employee's work and non-work memories are "severed" by a small device so the employee doesn't remember anything about work while at home and nothing about home life while at work. Anti-corporate and pro-worker themes are prevalent throughout but they take a backseat to the rampant mysteries scattered throughout the show.

I saw the first eppy and I can't honestly say that I liked it.

But the first thing that came to mind was: "Liminal Space".

Redditors beat me to it. :) The New TV Show Severance is filled with Shots of Liminal Space
I watched the episodes out so far on Severance and so far I’m kind of on the fence.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I finished S1 of "True Detective", and though it was slow at times, the finale made it worth it. Not only was the main storyline sewn up nicely but the relationship between the two detectives -- which built on its already dramatic evolution -- kind of pulled at the heartstrings. But yeah, very dark and I now wanted something light, so...

I watched the first episode of "The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries", a British series that was mentioned upthread. I'm generally averse to drawing-room mysteries (okay, I hate them haha), but I like 1920s period pieces, so I gave it a shot. It was good enough. It emphasizes Mrs. Bradley's deductive skills, so it's kind of Sherlock Holmesy that way, though Mrs. Bradley is a "regular person" and not a drug-user or savant. Her chauffer assists her in her investigations, which is a nice touch. Some of the later eppies apparently are not drawing-room mysteries, so I'll continue with the series.

For those who have not watched "The Americans", now is the time! (if it is still available). It gives real insight into how the KGB works -- though the focus is on deep-cover agents embedded in the United States. It remains my favorite TV series of all time and if I hadn't already seen it just recently, I'd watch it again.
colddeadfish

Post by colddeadfish »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:24 pm

I finished S1 of "True Detective", and though it was slow at times, the finale made it worth it. Not only was the main storyline sewn up nicely but the relationship between the two detectives -- which built on its already dramatic evolution -- kind of pulled at the heartstrings. But yeah, very dark and I now wanted something light, so...

I watched the first episode of "The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries", a British series that was mentioned upthread. I'm generally averse to drawing-room mysteries (okay, I hate them haha), but I like 1920s period pieces, so I gave it a shot. It was good enough. It emphasizes Mrs. Bradley's deductive skills, so it's kind of Sherlock Holmesy that way, though Mrs. Bradley is a "regular person" and not a drug-user or savant. Her chauffer assists her in her investigations, which is a nice touch. Some of the later eppies apparently are not drawing-room mysteries, so I'll continue with the series.

For those who have not watched "The Americans", now is the time! (if it is still available). It gives real insight into how the KGB works -- though the focus is on deep-cover agents embedded in the United States. It remains my favorite TV series of all time and if I hadn't already seen it just recently, I'd watch it again.
The Americans is great. The set design is incredible also, having grown up during this time I spotted a very specific lamp on the show that was also in my childhood home :D
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

“The Dropout” on Hulu. Even though I am familiar with the Elizabeth Holmes saga, I am enjoying this show.
sleepwell

Post by sleepwell »

I also watched the Mrs. Bradley series which some kind soul mentioned earlier. Thank you so much! I would never have found this without you. I love this type of 'golden age' mystery, so I bought the whole season from Amazon. ($5.99 for 5 episodes.) I looked for similar shows but it seems many are on BritBox, which I don't have. Diana Rigg is always enjoyable to watch, and it was interesting to see Neil Dudgeon in the role of her chauffer. He has been the main character on Midsomer Murders for a while now.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

abner kravitz wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:30 pm “The Dropout” on Hulu. Even though I am familiar with the Elizabeth Holmes saga, I am enjoying this show.
Just watched the first episode. Excellent.

The podcast on her story, "Bad Blood," really is good. It's done by the guy who broke the story and wrote the book. Audio of attorney Boies is very revealing. She was stopped by military purchasing agents who, gasp, required proof of efficacy, and putting the machines on helicopters was a non-starter...nothing goes on helicopters without major vetting.

Poor Elizabeth knew basically nothing about what she didn't know, wouldn't listen to people who did know, and didn't put in the time to learn.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

"The Dropout" is on my list. We need to finish the last 3 episodes of "Fargo" season 4 first.

Amanda Seyfried is rapidly rising to an A+ actor and her performances are worth watching, regardless of subject.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Tubes wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:28 am "The Dropout" is on my list. We need to finish the last 3 episodes of "Fargo" season 4 first.

Amanda Seyfried is rapidly rising to an A+ actor and her performances are worth watching, regardless of subject.
I watched the first episode last night and thought it was good. I can't understand all the reviews on IMDb trashing Seyfried, saying she was wrong for the role. Then again, I was not familiar with the story and don't know how Elizabeth Holmes really sounded/acted. In a vacuum, she seemed real enough to me and didn't look like she was "acting".

Regardless, the miniseries is supposedly (I say supposedly since I've only seen ep01) based on a theme I like: Over-ambition leads to greedy single-mindedness and abandonment of one's moral compass.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Holmes had a look with those eyes that was unique, intriguing and nearly impossible to duplicate. I remember being taken in by her when she was on CNBC early on in the deception. She had a cult-like aura about her, and I can see how people got sucked in.

Seyfried's eyes look too green to me in the promotions, although her eyes are large. I'll judge further when I watch it to see if she duplicated the voice.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"Hand Of God" on AP, we found very creative and original with some great characters, both likable and unlikable. Finished S2 last night and we are both disappointed it ended with many open questions...caught us off guard that the Producers probably "swung for the fences" to get to S3 but didn't get the nod by it's investors. Our "time investment" didn't perform to expectations, unfortunately.