[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:05 am Fauda on Netflix. Recommend all four seasons.
I always wanted to enjoy it more than I actually did. There are weaknesses but discussing them would be spoilers. The mismanagement of the unit is difficult to comprehend.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:39 am
Small Law Survivor wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:05 am Fauda on Netflix. Recommend all four seasons.
I always wanted to enjoy it more than I actually did. There are weaknesses but discussing them would be spoilers. The mismanagement of the unit is difficult to comprehend.
I enjoyed all the seasons. I stopped over analyzing tv shows/movies long ago. If I eliminated all the ones that were outlandish or had holes in the story that would eliminate half of them. I think this is particularly true in action shows/movies where the plot might fall to the side for action. That being said, I thought S2 of Jack Ryan had way too many holes.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:07 pm I finished season 1 of "The Leftovers". The premise sounded interesting and it was created by the creater of "Lost", but it just wasn't that interesting. Neither were most of the characters. It also seemed a bit too close to reality: you have a big event where millions of people disappear, and communities become divided and full of anger, and a weird cult forms. Season 2 is supposed to be better, but I'll pass.
I had the same reaction to the first season of The Leftovers (don't think I even finished the first season the first time because I was so bored with it). But DW watched the entire series and said it got much better so I watched the rest several years after starting it, and was glad I did. It does get much better.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:54 am I stopped over analyzing tv shows/movies long ago. If I eliminated all the ones that were outlandish or had holes in the story that would eliminate half of them. I think this is particularly true in action shows/movies where the plot might fall to the side for action. That being said, I thought S2 of Jack Ryan had way too many holes.
I'm not sure if you were around in this thread when "Le Bureau des Legendres" was being discussed. But it was all-around praised for its authenticity. An amazing series, but as with most French films, hard to find. It's a spy film with a great cast, memorable characters, thrilling storylines, beautiful cinematography, and a look at the spy business from many different angles.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

roamingzebra wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:13 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:54 am I stopped over analyzing tv shows/movies long ago. If I eliminated all the ones that were outlandish or had holes in the story that would eliminate half of them. I think this is particularly true in action shows/movies where the plot might fall to the side for action. That being said, I thought S2 of Jack Ryan had way too many holes.
I'm not sure if you were around in this thread when "Le Bureau des Legendres" was being discussed. But it was all-around praised for its authenticity. An amazing series, but as with most French films, hard to find. It's a spy film with a great cast, memorable characters, thrilling storylines, beautiful cinematography, and a look at the spy business from many different angles.
I was and bookmarked it. I'll have to move it up on my list of series to watch. Thanks. It was much easier to keep up on series when everything came through an antenna in the attic. :o
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:17 pm
I was and bookmarked it. I'll have to move it up on my list of series to watch. Thanks. It was much easier to keep up on series when everything came through an antenna in the attic. :o
I strongly suggest moving it up as high on your list as possible. It is strong.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

heartwood wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:53 pm I'm just starting season 2 of Slow Horses on Apple TV. I've read all the books and enjoy seeing the way the characters are depicted, especially Jackson Lamb (Gary Oldman).

Curiously I had an offer on my Target register receipt for 90 days of Apple TV free. As a non-Apple user it was difficult to implement the offer even though my smart tv already had the app installed.
I am enjoying this show. It is a nice break from all these Yellowstone spinoffs my wife wants to watch.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

The Last of Us on HBO/max.
Very good adaptation of one of the greatest video games ever made. Superb acting, story, production values. All 3 episodes so far have made me cry.
It’s the story of a fungal apocalypse, and how a man regains his humanity after suffering tremendous loss. It will take home a lot of Emmys.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Two excellent Documentaries:
1.) Some Kind of Heaven
Profiles selected individuals who live in The Villages, a
large retirement community in central Florida, and shows
it is not "Shangri La" for them. To fair there are others who
love the community.
Viewed on Hulu
2.) Untold: The Girlfriend Who Didn't Exist
Notre Dame football player, Manti Te'o, is catfished by a
person pretending to be a woman named Lennay Kekua
(fictitious) complete with photos (unbeknown to the person
who is actually portrayed by the photos). When exposed, the
hoax had far reaching consequences for Manti, his family,
Notre Dame, and the fans of Manti.
Viewed on Netflix
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Lockwood and Co. It’s great. Finished it in two days.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

mhalley wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:17 pm The Last of Us on HBO/max.
Very good adaptation of one of the greatest video games ever made. Superb acting, story, production values. All 3 episodes so far have made me cry.
It’s the story of a fungal apocalypse, and how a man regains his humanity after suffering tremendous loss. It will take home a lot of Emmys.
Never played the game but we've been really enjoying the show so far. First episode felt a little long but the last two have been incredible.

We're also watching Poker Face on Peacock, it's a mix of murder mystery and dark comedy. We've really enjoyed it so far as well.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Finished "The Landscapers". A weird little British true-crime miniseries starring Olivia Colman and David Thewlis. It's about an older, mild-mannered couple, Susan and Christoper Edwards, who are convicted of killing Susan's abusive parents and burying them in their backyard, undiscovered for 15 years. This is told to the viewer right up front so it's not a spoiler.

Vibrant colored lighting and other weird cinematic techniques are used to mix fantasy with reality, present time with flashbacks. Add in some cowboy western scenes and I thought of David Lynch more than once.

I'm not sure of the point of the story. I guess we're supposed to feel symapthy for the couple and/or wonder if there was police overreach. At any rate, it's more a piece of artsy storytelling than it is a true crime narrative. Not for everyone. The acting was top-notch, however, with an enormous emotional range shown by Colman.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watched the first episode of "Gunther's Millions" on Netflix last night. What a wild story so far.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

“Bitchin- The Sound and Fury of Rick James” on Prime. I was on the fence with this documentary but really glad I watched it. He was very talented beyond just “Superfreak” and arguably paved the way for Prince, Michael Jackson and even Lionel Richie.
Certainly a legit artist who did actually work his way out of the ghetto. This show would be interesting to anyone who was an early adapter of the original MTV model.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Capsu78 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:19 am “Bitchin- The Sound and Fury of Rick James” on Prime. I was on the fence with this documentary but really glad I watched it. He was very talented beyond just “Superfreak” and arguably paved the way for Prince, Michael Jackson and even Lionel Richie.
Certainly a legit artist who did actually work his way out of the ghetto. This show would be interesting to anyone who was an early adapter of the original MTV model.
I remember the album "Bustin' out of L Seven". L7 being slang for square. I thought that was pretty clever.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:20 pm
I am 3 episodes into it. I find it to be slow moving. It is interesting how much effort goes into all of the spying down to mundane things most of us wouldn't even consider. I suspect that this show is actually a lot more realistic than most other spy tv shows or movies with the vast majority of the work being in setting things up vs the action/glamour of it all. I don't know that it is more compelling to watch for me though. I mean 3 episodes in and no one has been shot, jumped out of an airplane, been in a high speed auto chase, driven an exotic car, etc. :shock:

I'll add that anything with subtitles needs to be very engaging for me or I don't want the extra effort.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:10 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:20 pm
I am 3 episodes into it. I find it to be slow moving. It is interesting how much effort goes into all of the spying down to mundane things most of us wouldn't even consider. I suspect that this show is actually a lot more realistic than most other spy tv shows or movies with the vast majority of the work being in setting things up vs the action/glamour of it all. I don't know that it is more compelling to watch for me though. I mean 3 episodes in and no one has been shot, jumped out of an airplane, been in a high speed auto chase, driven an exotic car, etc. :shock:

I'll add that anything with subtitles needs to be very engaging for me or I don't want the extra effort.
There are some action scenes, but it's no Fauda. User Blues, who has some personal experience in the field, rated its accuracy high, so your impression of realism seems on point.

Subtitles aren't for everyone; I don't mind them, even using them for English shows with David Tennant in them. :D
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I'm watching the Pretender and Fall Guy. Both hit Amazon Prime. Love how 90s shows are practically filmed in the dark. And the Fall Guy is a fun show that I watched as a kid.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:10 pm
I'l admit that I didn't find the first few episodes that interesting. In fact, IIRC, there were a number of scenes where I was having trouble following what was going on and telling some of the characters apart. I'm guessing it was maybe eight or nine episodes in, maybe even longer -- when we start to know the characters and the plots start to thicken -- that it became engrossing. It's well worth being patient. It will suck you in the same way as "Breaking Bad" and "Better Call Saul", only its about spying not drug-manufacturing or lawyering.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I'm about to finish season one of the "Inspector Morse" series. Morse himself is an appealing character, but as an older show, there is little emphasis on fleshing out the guest characters. If you don't catch a character's name the first time around, the next time the name is mentioned, you won't know who is being talked about. That makes following the investigative logic challenging. So I'm having to pay attention more than usual. No sluffing off here. ;)
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Watching old Columbo episodes on Great American Country. Playing now is Columbo Cries Wolf.

https://columbophile.com/2020/08/02/epi ... ries-wolf/
Blues

Post by Blues »

Watching "Mr. Inbetween" on Hulu. A surprisingly poignant as well as humorous show despite being violent and somewhat profanity laced.

My wife and I both really like it and will be sorry when we reach the end of the third season.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:09 pm I'l admit that I didn't find the first few episodes that interesting. In fact, IIRC, there were a number of scenes where I was having trouble following what was going on and telling some of the characters apart. I'm guessing it was maybe eight or nine episodes in, maybe even longer -- when we start to know the characters and the plots start to thicken -- that it became engrossing. It's well worth being patient. It will suck you in the same way as "Breaking Bad" and "Better Call Saul", only its about spying not drug-manufacturing or lawyering.
One of the unique things I forgot to point out about "Le Bureau des Legendes" is the exploration of espionage "tradecraft". One of the more interesting examples was throwing a fresh-faced female agent into a hostile country after building up her "legend". Yes, there's a reason the word "legend" is in the title's name. It's the fictitious identity or backstory that an agent has to internalize. It has to be bullet-proof so when questioned about his or her childhood, education, etc., it holds up during a vetting and/or interrogation process by the hositle entity. (Contrast with certain individuals in the news these days where the fictitious identities, plural, cannot be vetted. ;))
Blues

Post by Blues »

Creating an identity for undercover work is a huge amount of work and requires quite a bit of time and resources. The closer it is to true, the better, and its depth is highly dependent upon the type of operation and the chance of being vetted by the individuals under investigation.

Nowadays, backstopping all the potential leaks due to the prevalence of information from the web as well as official sources willing to provide information for a gratuity, makes the job that much harder (and dangerous).

I look back and think about the days of wearing a (relatively bulky) wire and recording device and hoping the bad guys didn't figure it out...and wonder, (and am thankful), that things worked out as well as they did.
Scrooge McDuck

Post by Scrooge McDuck »

Never would have expected that a show based on a video game and featuring zombies would have such a touching and deftly done love story. (Referring to episode 3, obviously.)
theac

Post by theac »

Scrooge McDuck wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:25 pm
Never would have expected that a show based on a video game and featuring zombies would have such a touching and deftly done love story. (Referring to episode 3, obviously.)
Just looked it up. It has an IMDb rating of 9.2!

Not many things get rated that high, that's the same rating as The Godfather.
Will definitely need to check it out.
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha (a George Harrison song)
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Reservation Dogs

On Hulu. Taika Waititi Wrote, produced and directed various episodes. One of the best shows I’ve seen in years.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:06 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:48 pm I am not going to give any spoilers, but as Mr. Robot progressed I thought it was ingenious.
Whoa. I'm really glad I hung on to the end. Season 4 of "Mr. Robot" was amazing. It threw so many curve balls with it's insanely unpredictable plot and gave deep, character-driven drama. I binge-watched the whole season.

I also like that it gave many characters/actors a chance to shine. Some that we hadn't see for awhile were back with stunningly interesting performances. Well done to all.

But one season doesn't a show make. This is how I'd lay it out:

Season 1: meh
Season 2: meh
Season 3: first half: meh; second half: exciting!
Season 4: riveting!

That's not the usual trajectory for a series. A weak few episodes is okay before taking off, but not a few weak seasons (weak in my opinion obviously). I was tempted many times to quit just out of sheer boredom and not finding any of the characters sufficiently likeable. I only hung on because I've seen "Mr. Robot" mentioned in the same rarified air as "The Americans", "Better Call Saul", "Breaking Bad" and so on. Based on the sheer uneveness of the seasons, I would disagree. But if all seasons had been as good as the last one, it would jump in my estimation of it.
Just finished this series based upon recommendation of this post. Not one of my all time favorites but overall I liked it and it’s certainly unlike any other series I’ve watched. I enjoyed the first season just as you are being introduced to the characters and plot. 2nd season was just weird. 3rd and 4th seasons were good but I found at times I was getting a little exhausted.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

GT99 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:45 am
roamingzebra wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:07 pm I finished season 1 of "The Leftovers". The premise sounded interesting and it was created by the creater of "Lost", but it just wasn't that interesting. Neither were most of the characters. It also seemed a bit too close to reality: you have a big event where millions of people disappear, and communities become divided and full of anger, and a weird cult forms. Season 2 is supposed to be better, but I'll pass.
I had the same reaction to the first season of The Leftovers (don't think I even finished the first season the first time because I was so bored with it). But DW watched the entire series and said it got much better so I watched the rest several years after starting it, and was glad I did. It does get much better.
In my case I liked the first season the best when I watched it when it came out. I just thought the whole concept of how society would react to to such a random and unexplainable act was fascinating. The following seasons were interesting but they got more into actually explaining and resolving the circumstances, which I found less entertaining than just the sheer introduction and contemplation of it.

One scene that had Metallicas Nothing Else matters as background music, played by Apocolyptica (a string group) was one of the more memorable scenes I’ve seen in any series.
sunsetting101

Post by sunsetting101 »

Just about planning to play that game or Red Redemption 2 then binge watch the series towards the end of the season whenever that will be.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

The Watcher on Netflix. I almost gave up during the first episode due to all the F bombs. My family and I swear regularly, but this was over the top. And took away from F bombs later in the story which would have had more impact (and been a bit funny, in my opinion).

Then I almost quit over all the back-stabbing. WTFrog is wrong with those people??! I made it to the end, basically because I had nothing else to do yesterday. And I heart Jennifer Coolidge - her final scenes were so fun (and freaky)! Meh, overall it was okay.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Walking through a large used bookstore here day before yesterday, I happened on a box set of an old British series called "As Time Goes By", which first aired in 1992 and which my wife and I used to watch on the local PBS station. I grabbed it eagerly.

The premise is a reunion between two old lovers, a British Army officer (played by Geoffrey Palmer) and a young nurse (played by Dame Judi Dench) who had not seen each other since the officer's deployment forty years ago. It's a charming and at the same time wistful British comedy.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Blues

Post by Blues »

We started watching "Under the Banner of Heaven" on Hulu last night. (We receive Hulu for free as part of a package offer from Spotify years ago.)

Impressive production. I hesitate to say we really "like" it due to the content...but it is very well done and acted.
brookwright

Post by brookwright »

BrooklynInvest wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:57 pm Reservation Dogs

On Hulu. Taika Waititi Wrote, produced and directed various episodes. One of the best shows I’ve seen in years.
My wife and I watched this, too, and thought it was great. One of the best shows we watched this past year.
coryjoma

Post by coryjoma »

The Chosen, season 3 finale last night - Feeding of the five thousands.
Amazing production about the life of Christ.
First season is on Amazon Prime. The Chosen also has a free app… yes, you can watch it for free…
Beautifully acted.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have had a couple of recommendations from family members to watch Yellowstone.

I notice besides the series Yellowstone itself, there are two prequels, 1883 and 1923.

What is the best order to watch the three different offerings?

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:27 am I have had a couple of recommendations from family members to watch Yellowstone.

I notice besides the series Yellowstone itself, there are two prequels, 1883 and 1923.

What is the best order to watch the three different offerings?

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
I would watch Yellowstone first, then 1883 and then 1923. Though you could watch them in any order, I think it would be less enjoyable. To be honest, if you watched the 1st season of Yellowstone and then the other series that probably wouldn't be bad because you'd have a good idea of what is going on.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

"Dear Edward" on Apple TV.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TwstdSista wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:22 am The Watcher on Netflix. I almost gave up during the first episode due to all the F bombs. My family and I swear regularly, but this was over the top. And took away from F bombs later in the story which would have had more impact (and been a bit funny, in my opinion).

Then I almost quit over all the back-stabbing. WTFrog is wrong with those people??! I made it to the end, basically because I had nothing else to do yesterday. And I heart Jennifer Coolidge - her final scenes were so fun (and freaky)! Meh, overall it was okay.
I had never heard of Jennifer Coolidge, but if anyone asks "What's your most memorable ending to a TV show?", I'd have to say "The White Lotus" season 2.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

That's a shame because Seasons 2 and 3 of The Leftovers are some of the best TV I have ever watched.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

MDfan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:36 pm
That's a shame because Seasons 2 and 3 of The Leftovers are some of the best TV I have ever watched.
I think my lack of patience was due to the context. I had just finished "Mr. Robot", where I had to wait two and a half seasons in relative boredom before I found it engaging. Then I watch a whole season of "The Leftovers", not enjoying it that much, and am told by many I really need to watch seasons two and three because that's when it gets good. I'm okay with delayed gratification, but I need a breather in between. ;)

Maybe I'll take up seasons two and three at a later date. But I think I'll watch "Homeland" first. I'm trying to get some of the modern classics under my belt so I can confidently say that "The Americans" is my favorite and there are no other contenders haha. (Sure, there are other great shows, but this one has yet to be toppled from my number one spot). After "Homeland", "The Wire" will be the only series I haven't seen that seem to be must-see by most people.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

coryjoma wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:17 am The Chosen, season 3 finale last night - Feeding of the five thousands.
Amazing production about the life of Christ.
First season is on Amazon Prime. The Chosen also has a free app… yes, you can watch it for free…
Beautifully acted.
We have been watching this series, too. My whole family loves this show.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

roamingzebra wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:01 pm
I think my lack of patience was due to the context. I had just finished "Mr. Robot", where I had to wait two and a half seasons in relative boredom before I found it engaging. Then I watch a whole season of "The Leftovers", not enjoying it that much, and am told by many I really need to watch seasons two and three because that's when it gets good. I'm okay with delayed gratification, but I need a breather in between. ;)

Maybe I'll take up seasons two and three at a later date. But I think I'll watch "Homeland" first. I'm trying to get some of the modern classics under my belt so I can confidently say that "The Americans" is my favorite and there are no other contenders haha. (Sure, there are other great shows, but this one has yet to be toppled from my number one spot). After "Homeland", "The Wire" will be the only series I haven't seen that seem to be must-see by most people.
I think you'll enjoy Homeland. It's not to the standard of The Americans, but it's good.

I have never been able to watch more than a few minutes of The Wire. I don't know why. Everyone praises it. I just can't get into it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:07 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:01 pm

I think you'll enjoy Homeland. It's not to the standard of The Americans, but it's good.

I have never been able to watch more than a few minutes of The Wire. I don't know why. Everyone praises it. I just can't get into it.
I've been told to watch certain shows in English with subtitles on. The Wire and Peaky Blinders were two of them.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

We enjoyed watching the latest Detectorists special currently streaming on Acorn, but it's also bittersweet because 75 minutes is not nearly enough time hanging out in Danebury with the DMDC.
twh

Post by twh »

I liked the very screwy and eclectic move on HBO..."The Menu".
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Chip Munk wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:57 pm We enjoyed watching the latest Detectorists special currently streaming on Acorn, but it's also bittersweet because 75 minutes is not nearly enough time hanging out in Danebury with the DMDC.
Thank you for reminding me of that special. I had forgotten.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Chip Munk wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:57 pm We enjoyed watching the latest Detectorists special currently streaming on Acorn, but it's also bittersweet because 75 minutes is not nearly enough time hanging out in Danebury with the DMDC.
Agreed. It’s better than nothing but a full season is needed to flesh out a proper story.
olefoodie

Post by olefoodie »

Just finished watching Sprung on Freevee. It's a comedy about a bunch of prisoners in 2020 that were released early due to the pandemic. They band together to commit thefts. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It pokes fun at our paranoia during the early days of COVID while at the same time, it instructs you on some creative ways to commit a proper heist :wink: There are some heart-felt moments in this series. Definitely recommend.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Just finished 1883 on paramount +. Excellent show. It is the back story of how the Dutton Family from Yellowstone arrived where they ended up. Sam Elliot is fantastic in his role. Overall much better than Yellowstone series which started good but has devolved into nonsense.

Also Started and caught up with 1923. Also good, but not quite on the level of 1883 IMO.