Bogleheads Los Angeles meetings

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
JMacDonald

Re: Bogleheads Los Angeles meetings

Post by JMacDonald »

If we have a meeting at Philippes, some of us could take the metro and not drive: http://www.philippes.com/
Best Wishes, | Joe
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

As one who lived in Ventura before I retired and moved to Portland almost exactly three years ago, I think for any chapter to work in the vast Southern California is for chapters to be in Ventura County, Los Angeles County, Orange County, and San Diego County.
Gordon
SkippyMcgee

Post by SkippyMcgee »

triceratop wrote:Is there any interest in a meeting in February/March?

It'd be great to meet some folks.
I'm down!

Post by 2015 »

JMacDonald wrote:If we have a meeting at Philippes, some of us could take the metro and not drive: http://www.philippes.com/
I would do that, I don't know how many others would, but agree the good thing about meeting anywhere downtown is it's transit central/accessible so no worrying about parking etc. I personally would park near a metro station and take it in.
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

let me know the next meeting. I like to attend. Thx.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Chiming in to stay in the loop... interested..
yakers

Post by yakers »

I will attend if the schedule works. Some years back attended meetings in LA/OC and even hosted a couple in Pasadena. Nice to meet and talk to kindred spirits. Downtown near a metro is a good idea.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Yeah I live up in the High desert... and I travel a lot on weekends so it is timing thing for me.. cheers!
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Depending on time, date and place, I will try to attend.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

Would be interested depending how far. I am located in the western san Fernando valley
telcodenizen

Post by telcodenizen »

Live on the westside of LA, interested.
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

New here and very interested in attending the meeting.

Let me know when.
homermtb

Post by homermtb »

I'd be interested in attending as well.

There will never be a time or place convenient for all that are interested.

If we get enough people, I'd be willing to arrange this.

PM me if you're interested, and tell me what you prefer…

1. downtown LA or san fernando valley
2. Feb 16, 23, or march 2nd approximately 7-7:30pm

here we go…. :beer
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

Are we going to get a meeting going? I am more than interested!
Wsantos

Post by Wsantos »

:mrgreen:

Interested
I need info :x
Wsantos

Post by Wsantos »

yakers wrote:I will attend if the schedule works. Some years back attended meetings in LA/OC and even hosted a couple in Pasadena. Nice to meet and talk to kindred spirits. Downtown near a metro is a good idea.

Anything ever happen here ?
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Wsantos wrote:
yakers wrote:I will attend if the schedule works. Some years back attended meetings in LA/OC and even hosted a couple in Pasadena. Nice to meet and talk to kindred spirits. Downtown near a metro is a good idea.

Not that I am aware of. I don't get into the city much as I'm always on a weekend adventures. I'd love to connect with some locals at some point, but I'm hardly ever around. I wonder if anyone has common interests. Send me a message if interested in anything activity based.

Trail Running
Backpacking
Flying Fix wing aircraft
Cycling
Rock Climbing
Camping
skiing/snowboarding
land lording

cheers!
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wsantos wrote:

Not that I am aware of. I don't get into the city much as I'm always on a weekend adventures. I'd love to connect with some locals at some point, but I'm hardly ever around. I wonder if anyone has common interests. Send me a message if interested in anything activity based.

Trail Running
Backpacking
Flying Fix wing aircraft
Cycling
Rock Climbing
Camping
skiing/snowboarding
land lording

cheers!
Landlording!
Local or remote?
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

unclescrooge wrote:
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wsantos wrote:

Landlording!
Local or remote?

I'm currently a remote landlord. (Have properties in the Midwest) I'm considering getting into something on the west coast.
youdiditr2

Post by youdiditr2 »

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wsantos wrote:

Landlording!
Local or remote?

I'm currently a remote landlord. (Have properties in the Midwest) I'm considering getting into something on the west coast.
Is Landlording a fun activity? never tried it.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

youdiditr2 wrote:
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wsantos wrote:

Landlording!
Local or remote?

Is Landlording a fun activity? never tried it.
It's tons of fun. Even better when you make a couple of bucks a month too!
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

JMacDonald wrote:If we have a meeting at Philippes, some of us could take the metro and not drive: http://www.philippes.com/
I am going to suggest again a meeting at Philippes on a Sunday morning at 9AM. The Red, Purple, and Gold Metro lines go to Union Station. It is only a three block walk to Philippes: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Union+S ... d34.059768

What Sunday would work for a group of us?
Best Wishes, | Joe
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

JMacDonald wrote:
I am going to suggest again a meeting at Philippes on a Sunday morning at 9AM. The Red, Purple, and Gold Metro lines go to Union Station. It is only a three block walk to Philippes: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Union+S ... d34.059768

Nice I hear that place has AWESOME Food! I'm leaving today will be traveling for the next 2 months.

Hope you all can get together.

cheers!
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

JMacDonald wrote:

I can make it sunday next, the 20th.

Now let's see if Petro can make it :D
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

triceratop wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:

I will be there at 9AM on the 20th. There is a long table in the back, at least the last time I was there. I will have my Vanguard hat.

Send Petro an email so he can come and bring his $5k watch so we can admire it.
Best Wishes, | Joe
tolerable2323

Post by tolerable2323 »

Am interested of going. Anything else I should know?
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

tolerable2323 wrote:Am interested of going. Anything else I should know?
This is just a meeting of local Bogleheads. If you are driving, Philippes has a free parking lot across the street.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Wsantos

Post by Wsantos »

JMacDonald wrote:

Any Sunday works for me!
Wsantos

Post by Wsantos »

JMacDonald wrote:
triceratop wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:

I will be there at 9AM on the 20th. There is a long table in the back, at least the last time I was there. I will have my Vanguard hat.

So the 20th is set ?
Who can I email as a main contact point
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Wsantos wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:
triceratop wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:

So the 20th is set ?
Count me in. I want to see Joe M's Honda. Remember showing off your new Honda years ago at a previous Bogleheads meeting?
Steve
Rancho Mirage
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

sschullo wrote:
Wsantos wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:
triceratop wrote:
JMacDonald wrote: I am going to suggest again a meeting at Philippes on a Sunday morning at 9AM. The Red, Purple, and Gold Metro lines go to Union Station. It is only a three block walk to Philippes: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Union+S ... d34.059768

So the 20th is set ?
Count me in. I want to see Joe M's Honda. Remember showing off your new Honda years ago at a previous Bogleheads meeting?
Steve
Rancho Mirage
I have a 2000 honda with 295,000 miles if anyone cares to see it. I think it needs a car wash though, if I'm going to show it off. (kidding!)

All: PM me if you need a contact person, I guess.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

sschullo wrote:
Wsantos wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:
triceratop wrote:
JMacDonald wrote: I am going to suggest again a meeting at Philippes on a Sunday morning at 9AM. The Red, Purple, and Gold Metro lines go to Union Station. It is only a three block walk to Philippes: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Union+S ... d34.059768

So the 20th is set ?
Steve
Rancho Mirage
Steve,
Your are going to be disappointed as I plan to take the Metro to Philippes. That Honda is long gone. I now have 2017 GMC Sierra.
I plan to be there early for breakfast. Join me.
Best Wishes, | Joe
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

JMacDonald wrote:
sschullo wrote:
Wsantos wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:
triceratop wrote:

So the 20th is set ?
Steve
Rancho Mirage
Steve,
Your are going to be disappointed as I plan to take the Metro to Philippes. That Honda is long gone. I now have 2017 GMC Sierra.
Yeah, I am bitterly disappointed! :happy It was over 15 years ago when we had the last Bogleheads meeting. I am sure the Sierra is a fine car, but the Tesla Model 3 with the 21st-century dashboard is out of this world.

There are so many posts I am confused about the month, early posts said September, are we talking about August 20th, sunday?
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

sschullo wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:
sschullo wrote:
Wsantos wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:

So the 20th is set ?
Steve
Rancho Mirage
Steve,
Yeah, I am bitterly disappointed! :happy It was over 15 years ago when we had the last Bogleheads meeting. I am sure the Sierra is a fine car, but the Tesla Model 3 with the 21st-century dashboard is out of this world.

There are so many posts I am confused about the month, early posts said September, are we talking about August 20th, sunday?
The meeting at Philippes is set for Sunday, August 20th at 9AM. See you there.
Best Wishes, | Joe
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

JMacDonald wrote:
sschullo wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:
sschullo wrote:
Wsantos wrote:

So the 20th is set ?
Steve
Rancho Mirage
Steve,

The meeting at Philippes is set for Sunday, August 20th at 9AM. See you there.

I was thinking September. I will be traveling to my niece's cabin near Josemite. I have to think about a different route. I want to come, but it will delay my travel plans.

Who ever is in charge needs to get the time, and date set.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

sschullo wrote: I was thinking September. I will be traveling to my niece's cabin near Josemite. I have to think about a different route. I want to come, but it will delay my travel plans.

There has been no ambiguity about the time and date. From the first post with a time and date suggestion:

It has always been August 20. Or, you may be looking at posts dated from 2015 :shock:
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

triceratop wrote:
sschullo wrote: I was thinking September. I will be traveling to my niece's cabin near Josemite. I have to think about a different route. I want to come, but it will delay my travel plans.

There has been no ambiguity about the time and date. From the first post with a time and date suggestion:

It has always been August 20. Or, you may be looking at posts dated from 2015 :shock:
Yes I was looking at the dates from 2015. :oops: My goodness, start a new thread, please.

Okay, so it will be August 20. I'll try and be there.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

sschullo wrote:
triceratop wrote:

Yes I was looking at the dates from 2015. :oops: My goodness, start a new thread, please.

Okay, so it will be August 20. I'll try and be there.
Well, Steve, maybe you should have your coffee and stay out of that hot sun before you post. :D
Best Wishes, | Joe
Lanseril

Post by Lanseril »

Just in time - made it out to the previous 2015 meetup in this thread and am planning to attend this one as well!
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

I am interested in attending the Los Angeles meeting this Sunday, August 20th at 9 AM . What is the address and how long is the meeting? This will be my first boglehead meeting.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

sil2017 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:23 am I am interested in attending the Los Angeles meeting this Sunday, August 20th at 9 AM . What is the address and how long is the meeting? This will be my first boglehead meeting.
The meeting is at Philippes http://www.philippes.com/

You can get there by Metro: the Gold, Red and Purple lines go to Union Station.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Union+S ... d34.059768

There is no set time for the meeting. It is just a casual meeting for local Bogleheads. You are welcome to come and leave at will.
C-ya there.
Best Wishes, | Joe
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

thanks for the information.

Metro seems the best.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

JMacDonald wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:05 am
sil2017 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:23 am I am interested in attending the Los Angeles meeting this Sunday, August 20th at 9 AM . What is the address and how long is the meeting? This will be my first boglehead meeting.
The meeting is at Philippes http://www.philippes.com/

You can get there by Metro: the Gold, Red and Purple lines go to Union Station.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Union+S ... d34.059768

There is no set time for the meeting. It is just a casual meeting for local Bogleheads. You are welcome to come and leave at will.
C-ya there.
This a bump for the meeting tomorrow.

We should be able to find a table is the back around the corner from the counter.
If it is too crowded or noisy, then we can move upstairs where it will be quieter and less crowded.
Best Wishes, | Joe
bogglizer

Post by bogglizer »

I would attend future meetings if they were near a metro stop.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

bogglizer wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:23 am I would attend future meetings if they were near a metro stop.
Phillipes is two blocks away from Union Station, a major metro, and subway stop. Turn right as you exit US. Go down two blocks on Alameda, on the corner of Ord St and Alameda is Phillipes. Can't miss it. It has been there since the beginning of the republic :-).
Lanseril

Post by Lanseril »

It was great meeting with Joe earlier today - hope to see more folks at the next LA meetup!
hojiwa

Post by hojiwa »

Is the LA Chapter still actively meeting?
thankyouverymuch

Post by thankyouverymuch »

It seems like there’s been no activity for 5+ years here. I’m following this thread in case it comes back to life. The Orange County chapter was showing signs of life recently and had a meetup or two. Cheers!
lws

Post by lws »

Be willing to join.
I'm in SGV.
Should be on a Saturday.
Does not matter where you hold the gathering.
BBirnbaum

Post by BBirnbaum »

I’d be down for this too!