Bogleheads Los Angeles meetings

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
rocko

Bogleheads Los Angeles meetings

Post by rocko »

Is there an active group of Boogleheads in the LA area? If so, could you please provide contact info and when/where they meet?

Thank you!
Milano

Re: Boogleheads Los Angeles meetings

Post by Milano »

Long time Los Angeles resident, I would like to contribute and help in constructing this.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Gordon
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

I'm in Culver City and am interested in this as well. :)
“For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.”
46sky

Post by 46sky »

Anyone interested in setting up a Los Angeles get together?

I am in the Culver City area, but would consider driving out.

Would people be interested in a meeting, perhaps on a weekend, sometime in late August / September? Perhaps we can set something up in stone.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I would be interesting in attending. I will bring my watch for viewing.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

I'm available August 29 as well as September 5 & 19. It sounds like Culver City might be a central spot for at least two of us. (Just offering that up since no one else has said exactly where in LA they are.) Kay n Daves is a decent Mexican spot that has reasonable drink specials. ;)
“For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.”
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

Interested.

Live in SD now, but often in Culver city on weekends (visiting family).
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

DVMResident, 46sky, et al,

Do any of the dates I mentioned above work for you?

Any objections to Kay n Daves?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Looks like there may be enough interest to get an LA Local Chapter going. If one of you is willing to be the Local Chapter coordinator, PM me with your first name and an email address that you'd use for this purpose (I recommend someting like LABogleheads at gmail dot com since this will be public) and I'll get your chapter listed on the Local Chapters map. The coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru. Rather, he/she simple communicates with the members about meeting dates, locations, times and agendas. All of that communication can take place right here on the Local Chapters sub-forum.

Any takers to help get the LA Local Chapter off the ground?
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

I'm just curious, what is there to meet about and discuss? In other words, what could be gained from spending time, gas, and other expenses to meet that can't be achieved from this forum?
46sky

Post by 46sky »

How about we set a meeting for September 19th on our calendar, at a place in Culver City that we will determine about two weeks prior to that?

Kay n Daves sounds good to me for now, unless it is very inconvenient for others.

Maybe we can come up with some bullet points to talk about during the meeting (aside from introduction and general breaking the ice)?

Also, one of us should soon volunteer for the administrator position per Mel's request :D

P.S. - I set up an account at labogleheads@gmail.com for coordinating purposes.
triceratop

Re: Bogleheads Los Angeles meetings

Post by triceratop »

Hey,
(pretty young) boglehead here and longtime lurker. I'd be interested in attending the first meeting.

Looking forward to meeting some likeminded investors!
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

Welcome to the forum, triceratop!

All,

I meant to reply sooner, but I received word of a family member's passing.

I have put September 19th on my calendar. Not sure what time of day would be best for others, but I tentatively put it as dinner at 6 PM on my own calendar. I can easily change it.

I thought maybe it would be nice to come with no agenda for the first meeting. Then we can just see where the conversation goes for the first week which may help us determine a more structured plan for future meetings if that is desirable.

46sky, since you set up the email account, are you willing to be the coordinator? I don't suspect it will be much effort, but we can also wait until after the introductory meeting to decide who will be the coordinator if you prefer. That was what I had originally suspected we would do. However, I am happy to see someone taking the reins. :)
pocketplayer

Post by pocketplayer »

Let's get this going...in SFV and we are in LA after all...gotta be a lot of people to gather.
Would be great to BBQ if someone is willing to open their home...I might be able to
accommodate if the weekend is right. That is always the challenge...time and date.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

46sky wrote:How about we set a meeting for September 19th on our calendar, at a place in Culver City that we will determine about two weeks prior to that?

Kay n Daves sounds good to me for now, unless it is very inconvenient for others.

Maybe we can come up with some bullet points to talk about during the meeting (aside from introduction and general breaking the ice)?

Also, one of us should soon volunteer for the administrator position per Mel's request :D

P.S. - I set up an account at labogleheads@gmail.com for coordinating purposes.
Hi 46sky:

PM me with your first name and a name you'd like to use for the group (LA Bogleheads?) and I'll add your group and contact info to the Local Chapters Map so others can find you.
sarala

Post by sarala »

Hi All,
Would love to join the LA group. Im here by Culver city and a newbie to Bogleheads. Not sure who to contact, please let me know.

Thanks

Sarala
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

Hello, Sarala!

I still have September 19 on my calendar for 6 PM at Kay 'n Daves. So far I don't think I've seen 100% confirmation from anyone else, but if you are interested in meeting I will be there. :)
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Is Petrocelli going to be there? If so, I'd like to see his watch.
aeronina

Post by aeronina »

A Los Angeles chapter is a great idea. I can't join you for a year because I am out of the country until June of 2016, but since I live in the San Gabriel Valley a regular drive during rush hour to Culver City is quite a hike. I would put in a vote for a more central location eventually.... maybe downtown somewhere.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

I'm interested too.

SFV or Westside, either work well for me.
nervousnovice

Post by nervousnovice »

also interested, but will be out of town september 19. culver city works for me in the future.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Planning on attending. Culver city works reasonably well for me, but I'll echo the other comment that closer to downtown is more convenient for the future as I'll be coming in from Pasadena.

Hopefully we can talk about all the discounted shares we bought during the downturn :sharebeer
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

That's the second time I've heard someone mention a downturn. I guess it pays not to follow the financial news. I've just been throwing as much money as possible into my retirement accounts as always. :mrgreen:
pocketplayer

Post by pocketplayer »

Hmmm, I mentioned possibly hosting here in the SFV, Burbank area with no
feedback. It would have to be a Sat or Sun when my dad is gone allowing
for at least 5-6 solid hours. BBQ available, large living room, TV for whatever.
Nice house and area. Just an offer.

What is a tentative agenda for these meet-ups?
santigold

Post by santigold »

Hi,

I would be interested in joining as well! I'm new to this and would be great to meet other people.

I'm on the Westside, so it's a bear to get anywhere. Culver City sounds good to me for the first meet up. How do we sign up?
BBBob

Post by BBBob »

I'm on the Westside, so any place convenient (preferably on a Saturday) is fine. Can't make it on the 19th unfortunately. Thanks for doing this.
Hanopol

Post by Hanopol »

I'm also interested. +1 for Burbank.

Post by 2015 »

pocketplayer wrote:Hmmm, I mentioned possibly hosting here in the SFV, Burbank area with no
for at least 5-6 solid hours. BBQ available, large living room, TV for whatever.

West Hollywood here. Burbank (that offer sounds great to me!), Culver City, or downtown work equally fine with me, although parking downtown is...well, parking downtown...
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

pocketplayer wrote:Hmmm, I mentioned possibly hosting here in the SFV, Burbank area with no

:thumbsup
That's a nice offer and convenient for moi. Agenda? Maybe some members from more established groups could share what itineraries they've come up with?
I'd like to share my mistakes and educational journey as well as hear the same from others.
I think that would be a good path to introduction.
Anybody else?
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I'll add the Los Angeles Bogleheads Local Chapter to the Local Chapters map. I still need a contact name, but I'll use the email account that was set up for this purpose.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

The east SF Valley would suit me, but I'm slammed with work and probably wouldn't make a meeting on the other side of the storied Santa Monica mountains.
yakkeryak3

Post by yakkeryak3 »

Los Angeles Bogleheader checking in. I'm on the westside but happy to meet up wherever on weekends, or after 7:30 during the week.
sarala

Post by sarala »

RevYoung wrote:Hello, Sarala!

I still have September 19 on my calendar for 6 PM at Kay 'n Daves. So far I don't think I've seen 100% confirmation from anyone else, but if you are interested in meeting I will be there. :)
Hello RevYoung!
Yes please count me in at KaynDaves CulverC!! Sept 19 6pm confirmed.
Yippie!!! :sharebeer :D
Can't wait.

Sarala
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

sarala wrote:
RevYoung wrote:Hello, Sarala!

Hello RevYoung!
Yes please count me in at KaynDaves CulverC!! Sept 19 6pm confirmed.
Yippie!!! :sharebeer :D
Can't wait.

Sarala
Excellent! I'll post in this thread early in the day on September 19 with more details so we can find each other. So far it sounds like we are the only two going unless I missed someone else.

Would love to see others there as well. The more the merrier, after all. :sharebeer
yakkeryak3

Post by yakkeryak3 »

I'm in for culver.
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

yakkeryak3 wrote:I'm in for culver.
That is great! That's three of us. Maybe we can get the attendance snowball rolling. (Anything to beat the heat here lately.) 8-)
Philip_Marlowe

Post by Philip_Marlowe »

Last edited by Philip_Marlowe on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 2015 »

RevYoung wrote:
That is great! That's three of us. Maybe we can get the attendance snowball rolling. (Anything to beat the heat here lately.) 8-)
I'm in too.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

me 3.
FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket »

I'm moving to LA in early Septmeber, so I will definitely be there. I'll most likely either be in Encino or Sherman Oaks, but I won't mind anywhere assuming it is a Saturday.
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

Where is this bar. I'm coming from Ventura blvd/405
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Mel Lindauer wrote:I'll add the Los Angeles Bogleheads Local Chapter to the Local Chapters map. I still need a contact name, but I'll use the email account that was set up for this purpose.
OK, I added your group to the Local Chapters map so others can find you.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... f1kHLN4YMQ
celia

Post by celia »

I like Mel's pin on the map (just north of downtown L.A.) a lot better than Culver City (over 10 miles apart).

But I'm busy on 9/19 and actually prefer closer to Orange County. I just wanted to see Petro's watch. :happy
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
sarala

Post by sarala »

Philip_Marlowe wrote:
RevYoung wrote:
Lurker here but I plan on being there as well. I shot an email over to the labogleheads@gmail.com address but didn't hear anything back.
The tread is getting so long. PM RevYoung he is taking a head count :D
sarala

Post by sarala »

2015 wrote:

West Hollywood here. Burbank (that offer sounds great to me!), Culver City, or downtown work equally fine with me, although parking downtown is...well, parking downtown...
Lol not anymore about "parking downtown"--we can use zirx or luxe ;-)
Apxeolog

Post by Apxeolog »

Long time lurker coming out of the shadows. My wife and I would love to join the 9/19 meetup at Kay & Daves.
telcodenizen

Post by telcodenizen »

I'm interested in coming, live on the west side of LA. Mentioned Kay and Dave's to a coworker who turns out to be familiar with the place and likes it. They pointed out, though, that there tends to be a high noise level, and that it's hard to carry on a conversation unless seated outdoors. Wondering how that would work out with a table of possibly 10 or more people; maybe conversations would end up just being between people right next to each other? If it's truly that loud (and this would be on a Saturday night), I would vote for a quieter restaurant (or reserving an outdoor table). Another idea; maybe not as much fun, but have heard of Bogleheads meetings being held at a local library. Or even, fine as the weather tends to be around here, maybe just a picnic at a city park?
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

This is great news, everyone! No replies to this thread for months, but it now appears the ball is rolling. I couldn't be more pleased.

telcodenizen does make a good point about noise level. When this thread started, it looked like we would barely be able to scrape together 3 or 4 of us. But if everyone who says they will make it actually comes, we will have a larger group. 14 by my count:

46sky
Apxeolog
FullYellowJacket
jrtexas
Nirav
Philip_Marlowe
RevYoung
santigold
sarala
telcodenizen
triceratop
yakkeryak3

Do post here in the thread if you are missing from that list or if you will be unable to attend.

The restaurant/bar that has been mentioned is in Downtown Culver City, near the Culver Hotel. The address is:

Kay 'n Dave's
9341 Culver Blvd
Culver City, CA 90232

Here is a link to Kay n Daves in Culver City on Google Maps.

So perhaps we do need to consider a change in venue. I was trying to keep track of all of the requests for different parts of the city, but I think it may be best to keep it in/near Culver City for now. Since LA is so large, it may be worth considering a separate meeting for folks in the valley since that seemed to come up more than once.

I'm not sure what happened to 46sky and the email account he or she set up, but we still have a month to come to a consensus here. Worst case scenario, we all just meet on a street corner and just start preaching the dangers of active management to passersby. "Turn from your high cost funds!" :mrgreen:
Last edited by RevYoung on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

I will attend.