What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ScoobyDoo

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ScoobyDoo »

johnegonpdx wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:54 pm Just finished The Three-Body Problem. Starting The Dark Forest.
Thoughts? liked, disliked? Will u continue with the trilogy?
ScoobyDoo!
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:24 pm
johnegonpdx wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:54 pm Just finished The Three-Body Problem. Starting The Dark Forest.
Thoughts? liked, disliked? Will u continue with the trilogy?
I really enjoyed the first book. The second is developing nicely. But now I'm tempted to read Sandman so that may slow me down.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I just finished Fosse, by Sam Wasson. It's a fine biography of the talented, troubled and highly celebrated dancer/choreographer/director.
book lover

Post by book lover »

The Inheritance Cycle Series ( four books ) by Christopher Paolini. Disney Plus is turning it into a series. It reminds me of the Shannara books by Terry Brooks.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Autobiography of Mark Twain: Volume 2.

Twain’s autobiography began to be published in 2010, 100 years after Twain’s death, at his direction. He reasoned that everyone he mentioned would be dead by then so no harm would come. The joke in 2010 was of a guy walking into a bookstore and asking the staff “Do you have the new book by Mark Twain?” which would’ve been answered in the affirmative.

I read Volume 1 back then and now I’ve started Volume 2.
mancich

Post by mancich »

The Passage by Justin Cronin. Fairly entertaining and the e-book was free to borrow from the library.
Tyrael314

Post by Tyrael314 »

"Secrets of the Millionaire mind" by T Harv Eker.

Thus far (81 pages) it reads like a rip off of Think and Grow Rich and seems like a 200 page ad for his "seminars". I will finish it becuase I almost half way through but... eh.
"A society grows great when old men plants trees under whose shade they know they shall never sit."
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

I thought SkyJack wasn't too bad.

It's about DB Cooper.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel and Bret Witter. Very good, mostly because, to put it bluntly, the story is very well told. I assume it to be factually quite accurate--it's footnoted and the people involved wrote books, preserved letters, were interviewed by the press. There is perhaps just a little bit too much of the Jeff Shaara approach, in which the authors state as facts what the participants thought and how they felt at various junctures, and the story is structured with foreshadowing and cliffhangers, so that you know why each particular important piece is important long before it is found.

The most striking thing about it is the scale of both the German looting and the recovery efforts. I hadn't really appreciated that. At some point I got a little bit stunned by numbers, numbers of trucks and numbers of crates and numbers of paintings and numbers of railroad cars, even the sheer number of repositories and storage facilities where the German hid the stuff. It feels bizarre that one of them was Neuschwanstein Castle, the Disney Cinderella-like castle (and just as phony, 19th-century whimsy, not serious fortification).

I feels some nationalistic pride that the United States took the view that all of the artworks found should be returned to their owners, even the German artwork, and not treated as spoils. Hopefully other countries feel that the US did a good job of living up to that policy.

I feel mildly puzzled as to how the Germans and the Monuments, Fine Art, and Archives organizations could have done the recordkeeping, tracking, and organization of it all without computers. There must be a vast amount of knowhow behind paper recordkeeping that has probably been lost!

My wife never read the book. She saw the movie. She didn't like the movie at all, but on checking I find that it is only loosely based on the book, and got mixed reviews. So the movie is not on my list.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

I have this strange desire to read something about Rockefeller, Carnegie or Vanderbilt and their journeys through business. Any suggestions?

Also, I remember seeing someone mention a book about negotiating or being able to relate better to people in this thread and after scouring a couple times I can’t find it. Anyone remember that author and book?
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

h82goslw wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:45 am I have this strange desire to read something about Rockefeller, Carnegie or Vanderbilt and their journeys through business. Any suggestions?

Also, I remember seeing someone mention a book about negotiating or being able to relate better to people in this thread and after scouring a couple times I can’t find it. Anyone remember that author and book?
This is a good book about John D. Rockefeller, Sr., but it is about his entire life, not just his business dealings:

Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. https://a.co/d/ej6eT7s

I really enjoyed this book, Fortune’s Children, about the Vanderbilts, but it is more focused on a fortune squandered than the Commodore’s business experiences:

https://www.amazon.com/Fortunes-Childre ... 175&sr=8-2
Allixi

Post by Allixi »

Getting a lot of mileage out of the Libby App and downloading books to my Kindle. I can’t always find one particular book, but I’ll never run out of books to read. Think I might cancel Netflix and just read books instead.

Last 2 months:
Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer
Talking to Strangers (Audiobook) by Malcolm Gladwell
The Confidence Game by Maria Kournikova - couldn’t finish this one, gave up
The Good Earth by Pearl S Buck
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
Single & Single by John LeCarre
The Hemingway (Short) Stories by Ernest Hemingway
Collection of French Short Stories by Various
black jack

Post by black jack »

h82goslw wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:45 am I have this strange desire to read something about Rockefeller, Carnegie or Vanderbilt and their journeys through business. Any suggestions?

Possibly you were thinking of this thread: Best Course or Book on Negotiation viewtopic.php?t=209369
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

Finished Trillions by Robin Wigglesworth on Audiobook. Really, really enjoyed this one and the history.

Finished The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz. Fantastic read for me here as well and need to go back through my notes on this one. A lot of messages I look to implement in my life. I tend to have various areas where I look to maximize and may be doing me more harm than good.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Just finished Bram Stoker’s Dracula. I get where the mythology comes from and The religious tones and weaknesses of count dracula BUT the book was extremely unlikeable. a slog to get through.

But get through I did! sigh

Also read the Stephen King novela Gwendys Button Box. Fun short read. This man is a master storyteller. Not the best book of his but he knows how to keep an audience interested.
ScoobyDoo!
Scharole

Post by Scharole »

Think again by Adam Grant. Interesting
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:53 pm Just finished Bram Stoker’s Dracula. I get where the mythology comes from and The religious tones and weaknesses of count dracula BUT the book was extremely unlikeable. a slog to get through.
I thought it was fascinating and I thought the technique of using diary extracts was very nice.

I see why it is a classic.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Blues

Post by Blues »

bertilak wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:05 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:53 pm Just finished Bram Stoker’s Dracula. I get where the mythology comes from and The religious tones and weaknesses of count dracula BUT the book was extremely unlikeable. a slog to get through.
I thought it was fascinating and I thought the technique of using diary extracts was very nice.

I agree. I think Stoker's "Dracula" is a classic and a very worthwhile read.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Blues wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:24 pm
bertilak wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:05 pm

I agree. I think Stoker's "Dracula" is a classic and a very worthwhile read.
Upon my initial read I noted some of my impressions of the first few pages of the book. In the first few pages we see
• A quaint little inn beneath the Carpathian Mountains of Romania
• Peasants of various ethnicities, behaviors, languages, and dress, some with vaguely intimidating wooden farming implements
• Superstitions (or are they?) and associated warnings in broken German
• High-speed night-time travel in horse-drawn coaches across poorly maintained roads
• Fierce wild dogs (Stay in the coach!)
• An innocent, naive (but not self-important nor idiotic) first-person narrator.

The descriptive text is very evocative. Here’s an example, describing that horse-drawn carriage ride through the countryside:
  • In and out amongst these green hills ran the road, losing itself as it swept around the grassy curve, or was shut out by the straggling ends of pine woods, which here and there ran down the hillside like tongues of flame. The road was rugged but we seemed to fly over it with a feverish haste.

There were many things new to me: for instance, hay-ricks in the trees, and here and there very beautiful masses of weeping birch, their white stems shining like silver through the delicate green of the leaves.
Mel Brooks must have incorporated a reading of this into his Young Frankenstein movie.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Northern Heist by Richard Glawe
A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

The Twelve Lives of Alfred Hitchcock. An Anatomy of the Master of Suspense, by Edward White.

The "lives" refers to the book's twelve close-up portraits of Hitchcock, each from a different angle.
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

Also, I remember seeing someone mention a book about negotiating or being able to relate better to people in this thread and after scouring a couple times I can’t find it. Anyone remember that author and book

Read the Titan by Ron Chernow. John D. Rockefeller structured the model for the American corporation. Hire competent people, hold them accountable and let them do their ruthless work without interference. He developed a credo of do not compete, better to cooperate and I will take charge of all of it. He implemented pricing policies of continued lowering of prices to eliminate competition. He was not in any way a flamboyant person, rather he lived the life of a fundamentalist Baptist. He was appalled at the extravagant spending of his robber baron contemporaries. He financed the founding of the University of Chicago, yet there is only a small plaque at the school with his name on it. His wife was one of the founders of Superman college. It was his medical philanthropy which impacted medical advances in the early 20th century. His money funded the reduction of Yellow fever which enabled the United States to finish the Panama Canal instead of the French who were defeated by Yellow fever. He funded research to eliminate hookworm which was a scourge especially in the Southern part of the United States. In the end, he was one ruthless person who cared not at all about the working conditions of his workers. He cared only about gaining power and control.
tangy
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by tangy »

1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History by Jay Winik;

I like reading about the WWII era and this book gives an amazing account of all the various happenings in America as well as throughout the world during that turbulent time. So many interesting points to ponder. FDR gets judged somewhat harshly today but that's pretty easy to do now that you know how the war ended. Jay Winik is a gifted writer and makes this book come alive.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through it. I'm curious if anyone else has read this... ?
Who is John Galt ?
Tyrael314

Post by Tyrael314 »

tangy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:42 pm 1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History by Jay Winik;

I like reading about the WWII era and this book gives an amazing account of all the various happenings in America as well as throughout the world during that turbulent time. So many interesting points to ponder. FDR gets judged somewhat harshly today but that's pretty easy to do now that you know how the war ended. Jay Winik is a gifted writer and makes this book come alive.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through it. I'm curious if anyone else has read this... ?
Maybe I am just missing it but is the title of the book in your post?

WW2 era history fascinates me.
"A society grows great when old men plants trees under whose shade they know they shall never sit."
tangy
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by tangy »

Tyrael314 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:00 pm
tangy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:42 pm 1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History by Jay Winik;

It's the first line: 1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History by Jay Winik;
Who is John Galt ?
Tyrael314

Post by Tyrael314 »

tangy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:10 pm
Tyrael314 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:00 pm

It's the first line: 1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History by Jay Winik;
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
machineboy

Post by machineboy »

book lover wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:12 pm The Inheritance Cycle Series ( four books ) by Christopher Paolini. Disney Plus is turning it into a series. It reminds me of the Shannara books by Terry Brooks.
I really enjoyed this series, as did my daughter. I just hope Disney does a better job than the Eragon movie…
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

deleted
Last edited by Hayden on Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
racy

Post by racy »

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan. It's an oldie but still relevant in these superstitious, pseudo-science, anti-education times.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Hayden wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:37 am I'm reading How Not To Die. It's about the health benefits of a plant based diet.
One thing that was new to me was he connected high cholesterol to alzheimers.
The book was written in 2015, so I am curious about new studies since then.
Been several years since I read it, but like literally every single other exclusionary diet book, the research is so cherry-picked that I would take any claim made with a HUGE grain of salt.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

As a reminder, please don't use book reviews as a pretext to discuss topics outside the forum guidelines.

Medical advice discussions (research, health claims, etc.) are off-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:13 am
Hayden wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:37 am I'm reading How Not To Die. It's about the health benefits of a plant based diet.
One thing that was new to me was he connected high cholesterol to alzheimers.
The book was written in 2015, so I am curious about new studies since then.
Been several years since I read it, but like literally every single other exclusionary diet book, the research is so cherry-picked that I would take any claim made with a HUGE grain of salt.
Right. People tend to latch on a "single bullet" answer as it is an answer and is simple to understand. Some of them write books about it, either from extreme "latching on to" or as a money-making opportunity. At my age, I've heard it all before. There is an element of "This is the newest so it must be the best." "Newest" to who? Not to me! If you like "new," wait 'till next week. There is a fire hose of new on the way.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

racy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:44 am The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan. It's an oldie but still relevant in these superstitious, pseudo-science, anti-education times.
I'm also currently reading this! I love Sagan's passion for science and education and modern medicine. As someone who had to go on medication for the first time in my life at age 60, my appreciation of scientists and medical doctors has grown tremendously.
JDave

Post by JDave »

"Stalingrad" by Vasily Grossman. If you can get past the obligatory propaganda (it was published in the Soviet Union in 1952, under Stalin) it's pretty interesting, with great characterization.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:47 am I feel mildly puzzled as to how the Germans and the Monuments, Fine Art, and Archives organizations could have done the recordkeeping, tracking, and organization of it all without computers. There must be a vast amount of knowhow behind paper recordkeeping that has probably been lost!
If that impresses you imagine the logistically planning it took to plan any of the war's major offensives (millions of men who needed to be fed daily, with all their equipment). All on paper!
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
P. spinosa

Post by P. spinosa »

"Pretty Good House", by four authors in the building science community in New England.

It makes the case for building "pretty good houses" -- a sort of tongue-in-cheek building standard that is high-performance but eschews point chasing and responds to financial tradeoffs.

I am not in the building trade, nor imminently going to become a homeowner. But I do fantasize about about building a house, and this is good fodder for that.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

P. spinosa wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:03 pm "Pretty Good House", by four authors in the building science community in New England.

It makes the case for building "pretty good houses" -- a sort of tongue-in-cheek building standard that is high-performance but eschews point chasing and responds to financial tradeoffs.

I am not in the building trade, nor imminently going to become a homeowner. But I do fantasize about about building a house, and this is good fodder for that.
I just read this as well! And we are in the process of designing a house, so I found it very helpful
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

“Open Borders” by economist Bryan Caplin. It’s a book arguing the benefits of immigration, uniquely told in comic book format
sandburg

Post by sandburg »

I read it and I liked it.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just finished the "Where Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. DW had purchased and liked it. I enjoyed it.

the book provided some insight into the author and I have a theory regarding her legal issues in Africa based on the book, but I will keep those to myself.

ed
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African-American Culinary History in the Old South by Michael Twitty

With a library full of history books, this book stands out as remarkably fresh and unique. Twitty explores his personal genetic makeup and family history and weaves it into a narrative of American cuisine.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Woman on the Island, by Ann Cleaves.

This is a short story, a flashback of the character Vera Stanhope about her discovery of her father's background.

The Hangman, by Louise Penny.

This is a short novel in which Chief Inspector Gamache investigates a man found hanged in the woods near Three Pines, Quebec.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We Don't Know Ourselves: A Personal History of Ireland Since 1958, by Fintan O'Toole. About half way through.

Sea of Tranquility, by Emily St. John Mandel. Just finished.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
machineboy

Post by machineboy »

ScubaHogg wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:23 pm
nisiprius wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:47 am I feel mildly puzzled as to how the Germans and the Monuments, Fine Art, and Archives organizations could have done the recordkeeping, tracking, and organization of it all without computers. There must be a vast amount of knowhow behind paper recordkeeping that has probably been lost!
If that impresses you imagine the logistically planning it took to plan any of the war's major offensives (millions of men who needed to be fed daily, with all their equipment). All on paper!
Well they did have help. You can read “IBM and the Holocaust” by
Edwin Black. In it he details how IBM supplied Germany with machines and custom punch cards to track and manage many logistics of the war. IBM setup a few subsidiaries to get around the restrictions allowing them to supply and repair the machines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

The Spy Who Knew Too Much by Howard Blum. A story about a decades long hunt for a mole in the CIA. A lot of information, quite a cast of characters, but in the end, not satisfying. Maybe I missed the point.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
MaxRN

Post by MaxRN »

Trip to Eyota by Martina Hubler
I enjoyed this funny roadtrip novel about two guys in a rattletrap RV being pursued through the Midwest...with ghosts. My opinion is in no way influenced by my DW being the author. :happy
Don't believe everything you believe.
sandburg

Post by sandburg »

The Quiet Warrior by Thomas Buell. It’s a biography of Admiral Spruance.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

sandburg wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:30 pm The Quiet Warrior by Thomas Buell. It’s a biography of Admiral Spruance.
This is a very interesting book, I read it and liked it. Raymond Spruance was not was well known as Bill Halsey, did not generate as much press coverage, but was probably the better Admiral. He was the victor at Midway.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

1) Titan by Ron Chernow
2) how to win friends and influence people, by Dale Carnegie