What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rockstar

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by rockstar »

Latest revision of LOTRs.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ekid wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:28 am
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:41 pm
Elsebet wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 pm
ekid wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:28 pm
Elsebet wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:20 pm Finishing up "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas - really enjoyed this classic and plan to buy a copy for my library to read again.

Almost done with "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M Pirsig. I like the story about the trip more than most of the metaphysical sections so far. I guess I'm not very artsy.

Just checked out "Mrs. Dalloway" by Virgina Woolf.
I'd like to see people read THIS one:
https://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Count- ... 105&sr=8-1

Pulitzer winner, 2013. ...the Real Count of Monte Cristo. Not a novel...
Thanks, I added this to my library list.

I never heard of this one before.
And the "regular" "The Count of Monte Cristo" was one of the first "real" novels I read, and I would just curl up with a book and escape...! So it has special meaning for me.

Thanks!

RM
Story of a son of a French "noble" in (perhaps Haiti, or Hispaniola) before the Revolution. This man acknowledged and educated his half-African son in France. This son became a highly capable general under Napoleon but was edged out and forgotten. "Inspiration" for the novel.

Right. I looked it up after reading your post. Fascinating.

Thanks again!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

rockstar wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:39 am Latest revision of LOTRs.
What?

Ah. With Tolkien's own illustrations.

So, what did you think?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The Silent Patient, by Alex Michaelides. Not bad. Certainly readable. Tasty, not nourishing.

The short chapters with cliffhanger-teasers at the end of each one are skillfully done. Not so skillfully done is Alicia's "journal" which doesn't read like any journal I can imagine, and, at the requires her to have written an unlikely number of pages while she is in the process of slipping into unconsciousness, and find a clever hiding place to put it.

I didn't completely guess the ending, but mostly.

Reviews that say things like "The Silent Patient is a swarming, paranoid nightmare of a novel with an ending that is destined to go down as one of the most shocking, mind-blowing twists in recent memory" set expectations waaaaay too high.

Even revealing that there is a "twist" is a spoiler in itself, because one you realize there will be a twist you quickly get on the track of what it is. It becomes obvious Theo Faber is an unreliable narrator, and that will remind you of

drag mouse from here >>>> Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd <<<< to here.

(Not exactly the same twist).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

"The Prairie Traveler", by Randolph B. Marcy, Captain, U.S. Army

I picked this up somewhere on my journeys in the US southwest. Written in 1859, it provides much helpful advice on relocating from east of the Mississippi River to parts far west.

It is well written and very remarkable as to how it describes many of the tropes later adopted by the great Westerns of film and TV: friendly and hostile Indians, circling the wagons, wagon-train leaders gone bad, cattle stampedes, sucking the poison out of snake bites, etc. The discussion on the many types of saddles one might wish to use for their horse or ox is a bit belabored. But knowing how to hunt buffalo, deer, antelope, bear, and mountain sheep must surely have proven useful.

164 years later, I am soon to embark upon a journey in the opposite direction, so as I read it I am unlearning everything I know, and shall therefore simply endeavor to persevere.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

FInished:

Hour Game - David Baldacci. 2nd book in the King and Maxwell series. I like the characters, but as usual, the plot is kind of contrived and far-fetched; nevertheless, it kept my interest. Kind of a palate cleanser after reading non-fiction.

Surrender - Bono. I could not recommend this book to the casual U2 fan as I think they will find it tedious. That said, it's at times fascinating, particularly the account of the band's formation and how some of their great songs were developed. At times though it drags, particularly the last 3rd of the book dealing with his activism. Still, some terrific stories from the front-man for one of the greatest bands of all time - just the book overall could use some editing.

Reading:

The Conquering Tide: War in the Pacific Islands, 1942-1944 - Ian Toll. 2nd book in the Pacific trilogy. This narrative covers 1942-1944, the period when the United States launched their counterattack starting with Guadalcanal. I like the fact that he tells the story from both the American and Japanese sides, detailing the personalities and politics involved in the decision-making.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:34 pm
What?

So, what did you think?
It's a thousand pages long. I'm still reading it. I'm reading the one volume version.

Here's the wiki page on revisions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Elsebet wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:20 pm Finishing up "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas - really enjoyed this classic and plan to buy a copy for my library to read again.

Almost done with "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M Pirsig. I like the story about the trip more than most of the metaphysical sections so far. I guess I'm not very artsy.

I loved "The Count of Monte Cristo"! Probably read in 8 times over a 50-year span.
In the last 5 years after I re-read a book that I own, I would discard it out on the assumption that I will never read it again and there is no reason to keep it. But I couldn't throw out "The Count of Monte Cristo".

Nor "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.
Last edited by doobiedoo on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pugs1351

Post by Pugs1351 »

Just finished Shadow Divers.

Nice read. Kept wanting to know what was next.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Someone suggested I should read Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville, but I told them I prefer not to :D. Actually I did read it and what a delight! Of his books I also enjoyed Moby Dick which I last read in 1989, I should pick it up again. And I enjoyed Billy Budd, another seagoing tale of his. I tried to read Typee and I just could not, to me it was unreadable.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

:dollar
rockstar wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:23 pm
What?

So, what did you think?
It's a thousand pages long. I'm still reading it. I'm reading the one volume version.

I snagged up that one volume version for 4.99 on kindle a week or 2 ago. Yet to be read, looking forward to it though!
Godot

Post by Godot »

Proust & The Squid

- Maryanne Wolf

How the human brain learned/learns to read. History, neuroscience, & linguistics. Fifteen years old and already a classic of sorts.
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

JD2775 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:43 pm :dollar
rockstar wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:23 pm
What?

So, what did you think?

I snagged up that one volume version for 4.99 on kindle a week or 2 ago. Yet to be read, looking forward to it though!
That’s how I got it. I had a $3 credit from delaying a shipment and then saw that deal in my feed. I’m reading one chapter a night since I also have to knock out my book club reads.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Brass Cupcake, by John D. MacDonald.

In corrupt city in Southwest Florida, an insurance adjustor is assigned to recover stolen jewels by offering a reward. It's complicated because local police are in the pocket of local gangsters, and don't want him to disturb their relationship with the crooks. Ultimately he gets the goods and the girl.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:49 pm The Brass Cupcake, by John D. MacDonald.

In corrupt city in Southwest Florida, an insurance adjustor is assigned to recover stolen jewels by offering a reward. It's complicated because local police are in the pocket of local gangsters, and don't want him to disturb their relationship with the crooks. Ultimately he gets the goods and the girl.
Now you you're gonna make me dig through my pile of JDM books and find this one...
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

wabbott wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:14 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:49 pm The Brass Cupcake, by John D. MacDonald.

Now you you're gonna make me dig through my pile of JDM books and find this one...
I might add that here in Louisiana nowadays, the local police, judges, sheriffs, etc ARE the gangsters.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

wabbott wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:25 pm

I might add that here in Louisiana nowadays, the local police, judges, sheriffs, etc ARE the gangsters.
Florida isn't that different. If you read Carl Hiassen's books, keep in mind that they are not fiction.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I just finished The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver. A missionary family moves to the Congo right before independence, then gets stuck there when independence happens. Fantastic book.

I just started Bring Up the Bodies, by Hilary Mantel, the 2nd in the Wolf Hall series, which is about the rise and fall of Thomas Cromwell in the court of Henry VIII (he of the six wives). This book starts where Henry is tiring of Anne Boleyn, and becoming interested in Jane Seymour. Wolf Hall was an interesting read, full of intrigues. I expect this to be very similar.
FreedomHawk

Post by FreedomHawk »

Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock

Fascinating.
ekid

Post by ekid »

wabbott wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:25 pm

Has it not always been that way? I tell my foreign visitors there is a reason all those gangster movies are set in Chicago.
ekid

Post by ekid »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:35 pm I just finished The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver. A missionary family moves to the Congo right before independence, then gets stuck there when independence happens. Fantastic book.

I just started Bring Up the Bodies, by Hilary Mantel, the 2nd in the Wolf Hall series, which is about the rise and fall of Thomas Cromwell in the court of Henry VIII (he of the six wives). This book starts where Henry is tiring of Anne Boleyn, and becoming interested in Jane Seymour. Wolf Hall was an interesting read, full of intrigues. I expect this to be very similar.
Wolf Hall was fantastic but I couldn't finish "...Bodies".

I don't know why. But the last one was much better, then.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Relative Humidity, by Lawrence Shames.

On Key West, pickle ball and an old grudge between mobsters erupt in a mystery. "Penelope Calabro, world’s most fetching pickleball instructor, has been managing to outrun her troubled, secret past. Until her Uncle Gianni appears one humid day with a mysterious hit-man following much too close for comfort." Amazon.

Funny. Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"Ice Run" - Steve Hamilton.

Set in Paradise, Mi and also Soo, Mi and Blind River, Ontario...Alex McKnight series.

Hamilton is very, very, very good mystery writer.

BTW, Paradise is an actual community on Whitefish Bay (Lake Superior). Stopped at a C-store last fall for supplies and people were very aware of Hamilton's books. Population is less than 1000.

Ed
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

MP173 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:26 pm...Set in Paradise, Mi...

BTW, Paradise is an actual community on Whitefish Bay (Lake Superior). Stopped at a C-store last fall for supplies and people were very aware of Hamilton's books. Population is less than 1000.

Ed
We've been in Paradise, MI. Stayed at the Saunders Sunrise Cabins, which we liked, but there was actually a high wind blowing and we were a little nervous because the cabins are only elevated a few feet about the surface of the lake and the waves were getting awfully close. And I wish we had known that the laundromat we had passed forty miles before we got there was, in fact, the nearest laundromat to Paradise!

Anyway I guess I need to read that book...

I just finished Pastime, by Robert Parker, in the Spenser series. It's not particularly good as a Spenser novel, but if you love dogs it is great. This book describes how Spenser and Susan acquired their dog, Pearl, and a good part of the book is fantastic descriptions of Pearl acting like a dog.

I'm a quarter of the way into Demon Copperhead, by Barbara Kingsolver. It's very good, but awfully dark and depressing, plus I don't remember David Copperfield and don't really want to reread it, so I need to find the Classics Illustrated edition or something...
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

MP173 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:26 pm "Ice Run" - Steve Hamilton.

Set in Paradise, Mi and also Soo, Mi and Blind River, Ontario...Alex McKnight series.

Hamilton is very, very, very good mystery writer.

Ed
I have been to Paradise, Michigan. Lovely little town in the Upper Peninsula near Sault St Marie.

I recommend the Alex McKnight books.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

MP173 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:26 pm BTW, Paradise is an actual community on Whitefish Bay (Lake Superior).
Makes me think of the song:

The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay
If they'd put fifteen more miles behind her

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald Song by Gordon Lightfoot
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Quiet by Susan Cain.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I finished "Verity" by Colleen Hoover.

It was terrific! I guess it is classified as the romance genre, but it has elements of mystery and sexual eroticism too. It was the first book of hers that I have read.

I have heard and read many recommendations for "It Ends with Us" and '"It Starts with Us" but they had a wait at the library. "Verity" happened to be available so I started with that. I was not disappointed.

Business Insider review rates it as the 2nd best Colleen Hoover book (after "It Ends with Us").
https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/ ... with-us-17
Last edited by doobiedoo on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

shmidds wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:17 am Quiet by Susan Cain.
An excellent read. Another good book on the topic is Party of One by Anneli Rufus
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

A Random Walk Down Wall Street, 2023, 50th Anniversary Edition, by Burton G. Malkiel

I already have the 2011 edition but bought this edition just out of curiosity. I thought it might be longer to incorporate new investment news, but this new edition is 13 pages shorter than the 2011 edition (432 vs 445 pages). In the early pages there is additional discussion of recent "bubbles". I have not got past the early pages yet. Malkiel's writing is as engaging as I remembered it.

Those early pages are a real eye-opener about the investment business. I think anyone who might someday buy into an investment opportunity should read those pages. They will keep your feet on the ground. Don't laugh at Tulip bulbs, rather understand them. (Then laugh but keep your eyes and ears open, your feet on the ground -- and stay on your toes; today has its own Tulip bulbs, by whatever names.)

Based on this initial read and on my familiarity with the 2011 edition, I can highly recommend this book. Since it has been in print, with frequent updates, for 50 years you know there must be something going for it! I agree with that.
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"Inside Vanguard" by Charles D. Ellis.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
MP173

Post by MP173 »

My favorite line from "The Wreck of the Edmond Fritzgerald" is "does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours."

I just finished reading a book picked up from garage sale - "Being Schmidt" by Louis Begley. Set in early 1990s, written in mid 1990s Schmidt is a 60 year old who's life is falling apart. Wife recently passed away, retired early from law firm in NYC to care for wife, sold Park Avenue apartment to move to The Hamptons to care for wife, estranged from 27 year old daughter who is getting married and he doesnt approve of the future SIL.

What else could go wrong? His waitress at local restaurant (20 years old) develops feelings for Schmidt and moves in. What could go wrong with that, one asks.

Very good book. Two more to follow. This was a movie years ago - Jack Nicholson played Schmidt...I didnt see it.

Ed
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

MP173 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:39 pm My favorite line from "The Wreck of the Edmond Fritzgerald" is "does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours."

I just finished reading a book picked up from garage sale - "Being Schmidt" by Louis Begley. Set in early 1990s, written in mid 1990s Schmidt is a 60 year old who's life is falling apart. Wife recently passed away, retired early from law firm in NYC to care for wife, sold Park Avenue apartment to move to The Hamptons to care for wife, estranged from 27 year old daughter who is getting married and he doesnt approve of the future SIL.

What else could go wrong? His waitress at local restaurant (20 years old) develops feelings for Schmidt and moves in. What could go wrong with that, one asks.

Very good book. Two more to follow. This was a movie years ago - Jack Nicholson played Schmidt...I didnt see it.

Ed
I saw the movie About Schmidt (2002), it was hilarious. Never read the book.
Thick Planchet

Post by Thick Planchet »

A HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING PEOPLES by Winston S. Churchill. Four volumes. Explains Anglo-American history from someone who played a huge part in it.
Ask for advice, but do what you think is best. -Greek Proverb
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

I have an odd, specific question...

I recently started the Lord of the Rings trilogy book, about 1200 pages

I don't think I want to read this book continuously though, and want to switch back and forth to it.

I have 2 other ~1200 page books in the queue, both by Stephen King, that I need to get to:

So, which of the following would pair better with LOTR?

The Stand
It

:sharebeer
Aventinus

Post by Aventinus »

doobiedoo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:01 am

I loved "The Count of Monte Cristo"! Probably read in 8 times over a 50-year span.
In the last 5 years after I re-read a book that I own, I would discard it out on the assumption that I will never read it again and there is no reason to keep it. But I couldn't throw out "The Count of Monte Cristo".
Nor "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.
The Count of Monte Cristo is fantastic, challenging but rewarding read. Great movie too if you can accept the differences from the book.
ekid

Post by ekid »

Did you catch my post about the REAL Count, the historical basis for the novel?

"This historical biography is based on the life of the famous author, Alexandre Dumas’s father, Thomas-Alexandre, known as Alex Dumas.

After time spent in the War of the Polish Succession that ended in 1738, Frenchman Alexandre (Antoine) Davy de la Pailleterie, a future marquis, left France to seek his fortune in Saint-Domingue, the island of Hispaniola. At that time, the Spaniards owned, Santo Domingo, the east side of the island, and the French owned the west, Saint-Domingue (Haiti). Because of sugar planting, Saint-Domingue was one of the wealthiest islands in the world.

Antoine moved in with his younger brother, Charles, who had married well and became a well-known sugar planter. Antoine scrounged off his brother for a decade, kept several slave mistresses, and refused to work. Charles and Antoine’s relationship ended violently. Antoine fled with three of his brothers’ slaves, one of which was his latest mistress."

Can you guess the rest?!
ekid

Post by ekid »

To continue my previous post-

"Antoine purchased a mistress for a very high price, Marie Cessette Dumas. Marie Cessette bore him four children. The eldest child was Antoine’s favorite, Thomas-Alexandre, born in 1762. When Antoine returned to France, he would eventually send for fifteen year old Thomas-Alexandre. Antoine sold Marie Cessette and their other three children.

In France, Antoine made sure his son was well educated. Thomas-Alexandre became an excellent swordsman. As a young man, Thomas-Alexandre, enlisted in the dragoons, and rejected his father’s surname, Davy de la Pailleterie, and took his mother’s surname, Dumas. He would never again be known as Thomas. Instead, he used Alexandre (Alex) Dumas. He even listed his father as Antoine Dumas.

As a Lieutenant Colonel, Alex, who was later commissioned as a General, married Marie-Louise Labouret of Villers-Cotterets, France. They would have three children: two daughters and Alexandre Dumas, Jr. their last child, the future author, was born 10 years later.

The book is filled with an enormous amount of French history, some of which includes the shrewd General Bonaparte. At one point, General Dumas and Bonaparte fought together. General Dumas sailed to Egypt with Bonaparte."

It's a largely forgotten part of French history.
wbarabas

Post by wbarabas »

Listened to the audiobook Davos Man. I got the recommendation from this forum. Not sure if I have ever read/listened to a book that made me so irritated at what the rich are allowed to get away with.
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

The Bullet Garden by Stephen Hunter. Earl Swagger takes on a special assignment in the European theater.

The Cabinet of Dr. Leng by Preston & Child. An outstanding Pendergast novel.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

wbarabas wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:35 pm Listened to the audiobook Davos Man. I got the recommendation from this forum. Not sure if I have ever read/listened to a book that made me so irritated at what the rich are allowed to get away with.
This is on my list...something tells me it won't ever be available at my local library.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

JD2775 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:17 pm ISo, which of the following would pair better with LOTR?

The Stand
It

When I read "The Lord of the Rings" for the first time, circa 1964 (before it was in paperback, I'm kind of smug about that), it gripped me so intensely that the idea of stopping to read anything else was unsupportable. I still find it pretty compelling, with the exception of the first half of "The Return of the King," the part with all the battles and gallantry. But I'm not judgmental about how you read it. You might find that you do want to read it continuously.

I don't know which would "pair" better, but The Stand is a better match in length, and in theme--an epic struggle of a battle between the forces of Good and Evil. Whether it is better to pair The Lord of the Rings with something similar or something different, I couldn't say. I personally like to "pair" fiction with nonfiction.

You will have probably heard this before, but it's a good idea to read The Hobbit first, even though it's not on the same level--it's targeted toward children and, unlike some books for children, is coy and condescending.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

JD2775 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:17 pm I have an odd, specific question...

I recently started the Lord of the Rings trilogy book, about 1200 pages

I don't think I want to read this book continuously though, and want to switch back and forth to it.

I have 2 other ~1200 page books in the queue, both by Stephen King, that I need to get to:

So, which of the following would pair better with LOTR?

The Stand
It

I think LOTR and The Stand go together better, both being epic tales of high adventure. "It" doesn't quite measure up, though would be a bigger contrast if that's what you're looking for.

I don't usually do two books at once, but I do try to rotate over time, typically fiction-history-philosophy.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

Fairy Tale by Stephen King - his latest big novel. I’m working my way through his catalogue and am a big fan. 11-22-63 was a fantastic read from his later stuff.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

I forgot to mention that Stephen King has acknowledged that The Stand was inspired by The Lord of the Rings. Wikipedia quotes from King's introduction to The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition:
For a long time—ten years, at least—I had wanted to write a fantasy epic like The Lord of the Rings, only with an American setting. I just couldn't figure out how to do it. Then . . . after my wife and kids and I moved to Boulder, Colorado, I saw a 60 Minutes segment on CBW... That got me remembering a chemical spill in Utah, that killed a bunch of sheep... (soon) I was deep into The Stand, finally writing my American fantasy epic, set in a plague-decimated USA. Only instead of a hobbit, my hero was a Texan named Stu Redman, and instead of a Dark Lord, my villain was a ruthless drifter and supernatural madman named Randall Flagg. The land of Mordor ('where the shadows lie,' according to Tolkien) was played by Las Vegas.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Hurricane's Eye, by Nathaniel Philbrick.

This is the third and last book of a history of the Revolutionary War. The book covers 1780-81, the war in the South, Yorktown and preceding events. The outcome at Yorktown depended on the weather, the French Navy, and getting rebel troops to Virginia.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

1 - The Dharmmapada
By Eknath Eastwood
We have no more idea of what life is really like than a chicken has before it hatches. Excitement and depression, fortune and misfortune, pleasure and pain, are storms in a tiny, private, shell-bound realm which we take to be the whole of existence.
Yet we can break out of this shell and enter a new world.
P18. Truth is focused intense attention on the contents of consciousness.
P44. Selfishness is suffering and can be extinguished with 8 fold path. (Be generous) P45. If my goal is to reduce suffering then reduce selfishness. And really focus on one thing at a time.
P46. The wise train their mind with right meditation with complete attention to one thing at a time.
P175. Undo the conditioning of pleasure and pain. (Duality) p229. Selfish desire is conditioned craving for self aggrandization.
P231. Everyone who is driven by craving for personal aggrandizement.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:03 pmWhen I read "The Lord of the Rings" for the first time, circa 1964 (before it was in paperback, I'm kind of smug about that), it gripped me so intensely that the idea of stopping to read anything else was unsupportable. I still find it pretty compelling, with the exception of the first half of "The Return of the King," the part with all the battles and gallantry.

You will have probably heard this before, but it's a good idea to read The Hobbit first, even though it's not on the same level--it's targeted toward children and, unlike some books for children, is coy and condescending.
I read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings in 1968 for the first time, in that order, and in paperback so you’ve got me there. I enjoyed both. My favorite part was The Bridge of Khazad-dûm, and really the whole trip through Moria.

I’ve read LOTR four times in total but with decreasing enthusiasm as I aged. The last time was in the early 80s. I tried to read an annotated The Hobbit once and I just could not. The annotations ruined it for me.

I pity the multitudes who saw the films first, then read the books. Or maybe never read the books at all as why bother, they’ve seen the films! When I first read the books I didn’t know what was coming next, that’s the way to enjoy them.

Christopher Lee, who played Saruman, said he read the books annually since they were published!

I wonder if you’ve ever read Bored of the Rings, from Harvard Lampoon. I read it back in the day and it was hilarious. My sides ached from laughter. But I don’t think it’s aged well.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War by Ben Macintyre.

A true story about a KGB officer that became disenchanted with the USSR and became a double agent for the UK and eventually needed help from the UK to escape from Moscow.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.