What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
augryphon

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by augryphon »

Delete
Last edited by augryphon on Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

The Washington War by James Lacey

This one’s been in my queue for a while. It’s a study of the political leadership of WWII, particularly the political play of Roosevelt with his cabinet, Congress, military leaders, Churchill, Stalin. It’s fascinating. I’ve always thought everyone just grabbed their rifle and went after the Axis. The author does a great job detailing the interactions. Particularly interesting is Roosevelt, the master manipulator, who before he died in the fight, lost his top counselors to death, one by one, until only Eleanor remained. Churchill is always amazing, George Marshall is particularly interesting.

It’s hard for us to truly understand the difficulties because we know how the story ends. But at the time, every detail was a political fight before it succeeded in battle. An example, Churchill had to visit Stalin and communicate that invading France would be delayed a year, all while Russian soldiers were dying at the rate of 10,000 a week! Try selling that idea to your toughest customer!

I highly recommend!

https://www.amazon.com/Washington-War-I ... C96&sr=1-1
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

augryphon wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:28 pm The Washington War by James Lacey

This one’s been in my queue for a while. It’s a study of the political leadership of WWII, particularly the political play of Roosevelt with his cabinet, Congress, military leaders, Churchill, Stalin. It’s fascinating. I’ve always thought everyone just grabbed their rifle and went after the Axis. The author does a great job detailing the interactions. Particularly interesting is Roosevelt, the master manipulator, who before he died in the fight, lost his top counselors to death, one by one, until only Eleanor remained. Churchill is always amazing, George Marshall is particularly interesting.

It’s hard for us to truly understand the difficulties because we know how the story ends. But at the time, every detail was a political fight before it succeeded in battle. An example, Churchill had to visit Stalin and communicate that invading France would be delayed a year, all while Russian soldiers were dying at the rate of 10,000 a week! Try selling that idea to your toughest customer!

I highly recommend!

It probably didn’t bother Stalin too much. That murderer was busy killing off his officer elite just before the war. And he starved millions in Ukraine in the 30s. You should read Churchill’s excellent history of the war: The Second World War (Six Volumes).
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:31 am
augryphon wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:28 pm The Washington War by James Lacey

I highly recommend!

It probably didn’t bother Stalin too much. That murderer was busy killing off his officer elite just before the war. And he starved millions in Ukraine in the 30s. You should read Churchill’s excellent history of the war: The Second World War (Six Volumes).
I have!
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

LilyFleur wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:45 pm
FreeAtLast wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:01 pm "How Fast Did T. Rex Run?", by David Hone (Princeton University Press 2022)

What about their reproductive behavior, eg, how were dinosaurs able to mate? It's one thing to brush easily over a romantic interlude between two small Velociraptors that were the size of turkeys. However, when you are referring to infatuated monsters like 5-7 ton Rexes or, even more daunting, 40-50 ton sauropods like Apatosaurus or Diplodocus, embarrassing questions must be asked. Since Bogleheads is a family forum, I must demur in describing the pertinent anatomical issues. Just don't assume that the physical structure of dinosaurs below the waistline is identical to that of Homo Sapiens.
Thank you.
Thank you so much.
I am an artist with a vivid imagination and I really did not want that in my mind's eye. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
FWIW, the various anatomical locations of animals leave nothing to the imagination in a wonderful book I recently read by science writer Ed Yong, An Immense World, about how animals sense their world. Just thought I should mention this (somewhat humorously) in case either of you reads this book.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Fallible wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:30 pm
FreeAtLast wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:01 pm "How Fast Did T. Rex Run?", by David Hone (Princeton University Press 2022)

What about their reproductive behavior, eg, how were dinosaurs able to mate? It's one thing to brush easily over a romantic interlude between two small Velociraptors that were the size of turkeys. However, when you are referring to infatuated monsters like 5-7 ton Rexes or, even more daunting, 40-50 ton sauropods like Apatosaurus or Diplodocus, embarrassing questions must be asked. Since Bogleheads is a family forum, I must demur in describing the pertinent anatomical issues. Just don't assume that the physical structure of dinosaurs below the waistline is identical to that of Homo Sapiens.
Thank you.
Thank you so much.
I am an artist with a vivid imagination and I really did not want that in my mind's eye. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
FWIW, the various anatomical locations of animals leave nothing to the imagination in a wonderful book I recently read by science writer Ed Yong, An Immense World, about how animals sense their world. Just thought I should mention this (somewhat humorously) in case either of you reads this book.
Hahahaha, I won't be reading the book!
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Thank you.
Thank you so much.
A very popular and well reviewed book, rated 4.7/5 on Amazon. I have access to several libraries. I use the Library Extension in my browser at Amazon. It shows me availability of hard cover, audio and ebooks at all my libraries, and lets me place holds. Many multiple copies at each library, but no availability for more than 3-6 months in any format.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

LilyFleur wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:02 pm

Thank you.
Thank you so much.
Hahahaha, I won't be reading the book!
I understand, although to be fair to the book and its noted author, I should also say that only one anatomical location still occasionally pops into my thoughts, the one that initially caused me to wonder "What are they doing there?" :shock: Overall, the book says much about limited human senses.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

wabbott wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:42 am
Blues wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:35 pm
Calli114 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:07 pm Mila 18 by Leon Uris, set in Poland during the Warsaw ghetto uprising in WWII.
One of my favorite books from my youth.
I read Exodus as a young man in my 20's iirc, back in the mid 70s. A very good book. I had seen the movie when it first came out in 1960.
Don Draper -- of the "Mad Men" TV series which takes place in the 60s -- was shown reading "Exodus" as research for an ad campaign for Israeli tourism. :)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

CBL wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:32 am I agree. Fairy Tale’s first half was great then was a struggle to finish. Highly recommend 11/22/63.
I haven't gotten to Fairy Tale, and based on the feedback here I might not. :p

But I'll agree with everyone that 11/22/63 was wonderful. Almost doubly unexpected because there are very few horror elements to it.

Spoiler tags don't seem to be working, so Extremely mild spoiler below, having nothing to do with the plot:

I knew before I got to the afterward that his son Joe Hill had written the final chapter. The ending was so bittersweet and beautiful there was no way King penned it himself. As much as I love King's work--and I've read nearly all of it--closing out a long novel is definitely not his strong suit. Joe is MUCH better than his father in that regard.

Speaking of, if you haven't checked out Joe Hill's work, go do so immediately. In particular, N0S4A2 is a masterpiece, all the more impressive that it was just his third novel.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

FreeAtLast wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:03 pm "The Writing Of The Gods", by Edward Dolnick (Scribner 2021)

This book is an account of the deciphering of the Rosetta Stone. The two principal investigators were Thomas Young and Jean-Francois Champollion. The former was a solemn British polymath who, among other scientific achievements, confirmed the wave theory of light. The latter was an emotional Frenchman who was a genius in linguistics. The Stone was discovered in rubble by French soldiers in Egypt in 1799 as they were rebuilding a broken down fort on the orders of Napoleon I . Its surface contained three different types of writing on it. After two decades of intensive study by both men, especially Champollion, the Stone was revealed to be an ancient Egyptian to Greek dictionary.

The best part of this book is that Dolnick slowly and carefully takes you through the false leads and successful breakthroughs that Young and Champollion experienced as they struggled with the translation. Along the way, you learn a lot about the ancient Egyptians, their society, and their extraordinary use of hieroglyphs ("hieroglyphics" is an adjective, not a noun). Champollion made the final translation because he had taught himself another almost dead language known as Coptic. What a wonderful story this is!
Thank you for this.
Borrowed from public library and read it over last couple of weeks.
Wonderful read! :beer
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:34 pm
FreeAtLast wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:03 pm "The Writing Of The Gods", by Edward Dolnick (Scribner 2021)

This book is an account of the deciphering of the Rosetta Stone. The two principal investigators were Thomas Young and Jean-Francois Champollion. The former was a solemn British polymath who, among other scientific achievements, confirmed the wave theory of light. The latter was an emotional Frenchman who was a genius in linguistics. The Stone was discovered in rubble by French soldiers in Egypt in 1799 as they were rebuilding a broken down fort on the orders of Napoleon I . Its surface contained three different types of writing on it. After two decades of intensive study by both men, especially Champollion, the Stone was revealed to be an ancient Egyptian to Greek dictionary.

The best part of this book is that Dolnick slowly and carefully takes you through the false leads and successful breakthroughs that Young and Champollion experienced as they struggled with the translation. Along the way, you learn a lot about the ancient Egyptians, their society, and their extraordinary use of hieroglyphs ("hieroglyphics" is an adjective, not a noun). Champollion made the final translation because he had taught himself another almost dead language known as Coptic. What a wonderful story this is!
Thank you for this.
Borrowed from public library and read it over last couple of weeks.
Wonderful read! :beer
tenkuky -

My pleasure! "Gods" is certainly an amazing historical account.

Free
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

The Code Breaker - Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race - Walter Isaascson

The bigger picture of this book is about the evolution of the CRISPR technology, with the primary context being Jennifer's Doudna's biography and work in this evolution. She and Emmanuelle Charpentier won the 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the paper describing the CSISPR/Cas9 gene editing "tools". CSISPR itself basically is rooted in how bacteria developed protective genetic sequences as a result of their billion years war with invading viruses. I think that same technique is how bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics.

This book is a fascinating read and runs the gamut from Watson/Crick and their "discovery" of the DNA double helix, including their infamous "steal" of the work done by Rosamund Franklin, through the ferocious competition to develop patentable CSISPR technologies, and as to how the CRISPR/Cas9 discovery played a key role in developing the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines. And last but not least, the moral/ethical fears about the unauthorized/misuse of CSISPR gene editing given how easy it is to do with literally off-the-shelf tools.

My understanding is that there are two types of gene editing. First is somatic - where the editing is targeted at a specific disease such as Sickle Cell Anemia or Huntington's Disease, where the edit is not inheritable. The second is germline editing, where the editing is inheritable. Imagine for example, some billionaire wanting embryos to be edited to make his/her's offspring smarter, taller, etc; and maybe pass those traits on down to future descendants. I have no doubt germline editing will happen. To an extent it already has happened in China
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:25 am The Code Breaker - Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race - Walter Isaascson

The bigger picture of this book is about the evolution of the CRISPR technology, with the primary context being Jennifer's Doudna's biography and work in this evolution. She and Emmanuelle Charpentier won the 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the paper describing the CSISPR/Cas9 gene editing "tools". CSISPR itself basically is rooted in how bacteria developed protective genetic sequences as a result of their billion years war with invading viruses. I think that same technique is how bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics.

This book is a fascinating read and runs the gamut from Watson/Crick and their "discovery" of the DNA double helix, including their infamous "steal" of the work done by Rosamund Franklin, through the ferocious competition to develop patentable CSISPR technologies, and as to how the CRISPR/Cas9 discovery played a key role in developing the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines. And last but not least, the moral/ethical fears about the unauthorized/misuse of CSISPR gene editing given how easy it is to do with literally off-the-shelf tools.

My understanding is that there are two types of gene editing. First is somatic - where the editing is targeted at a specific disease such as Sickle Cell Anemia or Huntington's Disease, where the edit is not inheritable. The second is germline editing, where the editing is inheritable. Imagine for example, some billionaire wanting embryos to be edited to make his/her's offspring smarter, taller, etc; and maybe pass those traits on down to future descendants. I have no doubt germline editing will happen. To an extent it already has happened in China
I read this last year. I also recommend "Gene" by Muckerjee and especially "The Tangled Tree" by David Quamman.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Captiva - Randy Wayne White.

Fourth in the "Doc" Ford series, written in the mid-90s and set against the highly controversial Florida gill net ban that put many commercial net fishermen out of business. One of the local "netters" at Dinkin's Bay, Sanibel is killed when his boat explodes, and Ford sets about solving the mystery.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news ... /29532739/

The character of Hannah Smith is introduced, a descendant of one of Florida's legendary female pioneers. Hannah's niece, also named Hannah, is featured in her own series of books by White.

One of the best of the series, imo. Locales are vividly described, with a compact, believable story.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Blue Lightning: Wilder's Mounted Infantry Brigade in the Battle of Chickamauga by Richard Baumgartner.

A history of the Union Army's Lightning Brigade, highly mobile mounted infantry armed with technologically advanced repeating Spencer rifles. A major strength of the book is the extent to which it incorporates first person accounts as well as portraits of individuals who served in the brigade to provide a vivid account of events from the formation of the brigade to its justly celebrated role in the Battle of Chickamauga.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Last Campaign: Sherman, Geronimo and the war for America, by H. W. Brands.

This is a history of the last Indian wars in the Great Plains, Mountain West, and Far West. I think it's very interesting. Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Finished "Barkley, A Biography" by Timothy Bella which is a well researched look at Charles Barkley's life...the good, the bad, and the ugly. Not particularly a Barkley fan, but was always amazed at his abilities, particularly based on his height and weight. He was undersized at 6'4" and oversized girth, but incredible athletic abilities and a big motor. His career as a TV analyst might be eclipsing his on court talents.

Working on Brosnan: The Railroad Messiah, Volume 2 by Charles Morgret. The two volumes are over 1200 pages covering the career of Bill Brosnan, former President of Southern Railway in the 1960s, who affected many changes in the rail industry. Not an easy man to work for, but results driven...with flaws, which are exposed in this fairly written book. Difficult book to locate...secured thru local library's Interloan Library system.

ed
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Angel of Death, by J. M. Dagliesh.

In Norfolk, England a convicted murderer is released from prison, pending a new trial. His release rekindles local hostility to him and a renewed investigation of the disappearance and presumed murder of a young woman.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

More Straight Talk on Investing 2021, by Jack Brennan, a former Vanguard CEO

This book is a basic introduction to investing, focusing on index funds. I bought it as a refresher or sanity check. It turns out I didn't need it, but ...

It would be appropriate for someone who is not a seasoned Boglehead except that it is over 300 pages and I'm not sure who would be motivated to read it if dropped on them out of the blue. For someone who is actively looking for advice on how to invest, it could be ideal. As an unsolicited gift, it might be better to start with Bill Bernstein's If I Can or Mike Piper's Investing Made Simple. The subject book could make a nice follow-up, as would Bogleheads' Guide to Investing.

I was disappointed that it did not address annuities as I have been considering directing my wife to (in an as yet to be determined manner) use an annuity to replace the lost pension income (50%) my passing would cause. I think I will open a new topic to explore this.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

midwest_bound wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:49 pm I'm currently reading Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. It's about the Lewis and Clark expedition, specifically focusing on Lewis. It was a little slow to start, but now that they are on the expedition, it's quite good! It's amazing to think about those two people (and their crews) being the first Americans to see much of the West.
Just got my hands on this book, and it's next on my 'to read' list. One of my coffee buddies was taking a sackful of books to the local flea market and that one was in the pile.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

I am in the middle (1105 total pages) of "Churchill" by Andrew Roberts.

This book is an excellent biography of a famous man (and rightly so) that was England's Prime Minister (equal to a U.S. President) during my lifetime.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "I’ve known many people in the financial business who’ve said, ‘I’m really proud because I did it all myself.’ And when someone has the temerity to say that to me, and a lot of people do, the first thing I say is ‘isn’t that wonderful, you did it all yourself. And I think that’s terrific, I don’t know many people who’ve done that. But how did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?'"
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
SGM

Post by SGM »

Murder in the Chateau by Elliott Roosevelt... An Eleanor Roosevelt Mystery.

This is supposed to have some element of truth as Eleanor goes to Vichy France in 1941. She acts as a private eye and a historic character in a failed plot to assassinate Herr Hitler. Several famous people show up at the chateau. This was an excellent read and I look forward to other Eleanor Roosevelt mysteries written by her son Elliott.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:02 pm More Straight Talk on Investing 2021, by Jack Brennan, a former Vanguard CEO
I was disappointed that it did not address annuities as I have been considering directing my wife to (in an as yet to be determined manner) use an annuity to replace the lost pension income (50%) my passing would cause. I think I will open a new topic to explore this.
Done. See viewtopic.php?p=6994306
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

The Book of Evidence, by John Banville.

Most of the way through. A very weird book. Well written but weird. I've been tempted to put it down a couple of times but I need to see how it ends.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:31 pm Bogleheads:

I am in the middle (1105 total pages) of "Churchill" by Andrew Roberts.

This book is an excellent biography of a famous man (and rightly so) that was England's Prime Minister (equal to a U.S. President) during my lifetime.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "I’ve known many people in the financial business who’ve said, ‘I’m really proud because I did it all myself.’ And when someone has the temerity to say that to me, and a lot of people do, the first thing I say is ‘isn’t that wonderful, you did it all yourself. And I think that’s terrific, I don’t know many people who’ve done that. But how did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?'"
Hi Taylor -

I recently watched two movies on Netflix and Tubi on Winston Churchill.

One word: Fascinating!

You lived it and were in the thick of it sir. Thank you for your service.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I’ve started reading Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker, PhD.

I didn’t realize how important sleep is to one’s health and well-being. I got too little of it during my working years.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brooklynboy

Post by brooklynboy »

have 1 chapter left on an oldie but goodie: "A Year in Provence".
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Reading the revised edition of The Pig War Standoff at Griffin Bay by Vouri. In 1859, an American farmer shot at a British owned pig in a disputed border region between what is now BC and Washington state. While the author's biases are evident, it is still an interesting account of a forgotten incident which, had cooler heads in London and DC not prevailed and let Kaiser Wilhelm I arbitrate the dispute, the UK and the US could have gone to war with unknown ramifications as the Civil War loomed. Indeed many future officers on both sides of the future conflict were involved in this dispute - Pickett is a central figure. The pig was the only casualty; there is a British military cemetery on US soil for those who died waiting for the matter to be adjudicated.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

following
Last edited by Zeno on Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

River of Darkness, by Buddy Levy.

This is the history of the first-ever exploration of the entire length of the Amazon River from the Andes to the Atlantic Ocean in 1541-42 by Fransisco Orellana. Orellana died in 1555 in an attempt to colonize the Amazon.

Recommended.

Edited to correct dates.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastPhan

Post by WestCoastPhan »

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:36 pm River of Darkness, by Buddy Levy.

This is the history of the first-ever exploration of the entire length of the Amazon River from the Andes to the Atlantic Ocean in 1441-42 by Fransisco Orellana. Orellana died in 1455 in an attempt to colonize the Amazon.

Recommended.
Looks interesting. Have you read River of Doubt?
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

A Gentleman in Moscow: A Novel by Amor Towles. Beautifully writing, but a weak story line. Predictable characters and story with only a very superficial regard for the era; the/Great Patriotic War (WW2) was absent though the book covered decades. I am back to history.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

jebmke wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:32 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:36 pm River of Darkness, by Buddy Levy.

This is the history of the first-ever exploration of the entire length of the Amazon River from the Andes to the Atlantic Ocean in 1541-42 by Fransisco Orellana. Orellana died in 1555 in an attempt to colonize the Amazon.

Recommended.
Looks interesting. Have you read River of Doubt?
Yes, I liked that too.
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Always Hungry? by endocrinologist David Ludwig. Discusses the approach of reducing carbohydrates and increasing fats to reduce insulin levels as a weight loss/maintenance strategy. [Health effect of diet removed by admin LadyGeek] It is a three phase program which ends up at about 40% fat, 40% carbs, and 20% protein.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a medical claim due to this book. As a reminder, medical advice (health claims of a diet) is off-topic. See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Please refrain from discussing this book's contents further.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Split Second - David Baldacci
First book in the Sean King and Michelle Maxwell series. A couple of secret service agents that lost the person they were protecting unite to investigate what I thought, was a weak, convoluted, contrived plot. Book was just OK. Felt like someone trying to write a book to appeal to Hollywood interest.

Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942 - Ian Toll
First book of a trilogy. An engrossing narrative that details the people and events that led to the eventual conflict between Japan and US, and then detailing the first months of the war, from Pearl Harbor to Midway. This is primarily about the Naval aspects and only a superficial account of the land fighting. One of the best history books I've ever read and the next two books are on order.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

"Winter Work" by Dan Fesperman
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:47 pm American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin

(In Greek mythology, Prometheus is a Titan god of fire. Prometheus is credited with defying the gods by stealing fire and giving it to humanity).

I’d always meant to read this biography as I find Oppenheimer an interesting character. He was the father of the atomic bomb, leading the effort in Los Alamos in WWII to beat the Germans to the bomb. He became so obsessed with the problem that he kept up the effort at full speed even after the end of the European war. Then, after the two atomic bombings of Japan, he felt deep remorse, saying “I feel I have blood on my hands”. He spoke about containing the technology and opposed the development of the “super”, or H-bomb. This was contrary to American policy at the time and for this he was sidelined and lost his security clearance, which was a great personal blow.

The man was a genius. If he wanted to read a foreign book, he wouldn’t read a translation, he would first learn the language the book was written in, then read the book. For example he learned Sanskrit in order to read the Bhagavad Gita in the original.

The author Martin Sherwin died recently which brought this title back to mind. I checked a copy out of my local public library.
Yesterday the secretary of the Department of Energy, Jennifer Granholm, officially vacated the Atomic Energy Commission’s 1954 decision In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer.
https://www.energy.gov/articles/secreta ... n-decision
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Stella Maris" by Cormac McCarthy. (The follow-on novel to "The Passenger")

Not light reading...but rewarding, imho.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:18 pm
Northster wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:55 am Just finished 'Project Hail Mary', by Andy Weir. If you liked 'The Martian' or like science-based science fiction I would recommend it. Even my wife, who is not a great SciFi fan, is enjoying it.
I'm reading it now. The book is discussed here: Good Modern Science Fiction - look around Page 11.
Just finished this. Wonderful read.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"Hillbilly Elegy" by JD Vance. I have not seen the film. Vance is a fantastic writer.
CBL

Post by CBL »

The Project Hail Mary audiobook is fantastic. It enhances the experience.
Ain’t Life Grand
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

CBL wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:35 am The Project Hail Mary audiobook is fantastic. It enhances the experience.
I can imagine... Rocky making harmonic sounds :D
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:38 am "Hillbilly Elegy" by JD Vance. I have not seen the film. Vance is a fantastic writer.
I agree, Hillbilly Elegy is an excellent book. I read the book when it first came out.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Ann Cleeves' Shetland series. Haven't seen the Shetland TV series, but it was Vera on the tube that started me looking at her writing.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

(Re)-reading The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, by Stieg Larsson.

Boy, the three books by Stieg Larsson are so good... and (the first of) the continuations by David Lagercrantz was such a stinker.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
sandburg

Post by sandburg »

"Master of Seapower". A biography of Fleet Admiral Ernest J. King written by Thomas Buell.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford. Admittedly, I am not finished, but I find this book fascinating; it also helps encapsulate differences in cultures; its a good start I think into understanding a part of the world's history that is often overlooked. After all, the empire he founded stretched from what is now Korea to the plains of Hungary, from Moscow to Kiev.